• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabCam

This is WoW related, but about the installation :D

I'm trying ti install the game and start up over summer but it gets too 99% installed then there's an error:

The file "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft.temp\Data.temp" could not be renamed to "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft.temp\Data". (ConflictManager::ResolveConflicts/1)

I've tried saving to different files etc. but it happens every time. How can I fix this?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FabCam said:
This is WoW related, but about the installation :D

I'm trying ti install the game and start up over summer but it gets too 99% installed then there's an error:

The file "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft.temp\Data.temp" could not be renamed to "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft.temp\Data". (ConflictManager::ResolveConflicts/1)

I've tried saving to different files etc. but it happens every time. How can I fix this?
Perhaps the installation needs to be run as an administrator?

FabCam

Angry Grimace said:
Perhaps the installation needs to be run as an administrator?

There's only one account on my comp. :/

It's a Vista PC if that makes any difference. It's really annoying because it seems that the only reason it fails is because a file can't be renamed rather than there actually being a problem with the install.

Alex said:
Under cap varries from class to class, for some it's not a big deal, Retribution Paladins for example never gem hit ever, STR still outscales hit even if youre under cap.

But Fire Mages, for example do. Any misses will fuck you up hard. Doesn't matter how small or how irrelevant you think it is, capping your hit is number one priority as a Fire Mage.

Definitely. The penalty for a missed conflag as a destruction warlock is the damage from the conflag plus 30% haste on the next 3 destruction spells. A missed immolate can cause wasted time trying to cast conflag, missed bonus damage on incinerate, can delay using your conflag / chaos bolt cooldowns, etc.

I had a pretty decent day yesterday. On my main (holy paladin) I started an arena team this week with a guild DK. He went frost PVP, wears 2 piece T8 and the heroic XT sigil, and we faceroll. Gogo 130 runic power frost strike dumps and hungering cold cheese. I just want the flash of light libram to use with 4 piece T8.

And on my alt I did a half guild, half pug Ulduar 10 and got T8 shoulders and gloves which allows me to get the xintor's emblem of valor boots (I was saving up for T7.5 shoulders). Add to that a sash of ancient power today and I'm gaining 3% hit (which will cap me), 150sp, and 10% more damage to immolate/conflag at the cost of just under 3% haste. Good deal.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Not really.

The Illusions card is extremely underrated for healers, and the Greatness card is a bit overrated for Melee and Hunters. The Int and Spr cards mostly help with regen, as the proc's primary benefit is that it scales the amount you gain via the replenishment buff.

The Death card is simply not as good as the Sundial of the Exiled, imho.
Overrated? Greatness is the best inslot trink for melee.

But you're right, for a mage, the death card isn't as good as the sundial of the exiled. Actually, a lot of trinks are better than death.

Epix

Alex said:
Under cap varries from class to class, for some it's not a big deal, Retribution Paladins for example never gem hit ever, STR still outscales hit even if youre under cap.
Not since the discovery that our seals use a two roll system. Hit > STR until capped.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FabCam said:
There's only one account on my comp. :/

It's a Vista PC if that makes any difference. It's really annoying because it seems that the only reason it fails is because a file can't be renamed rather than there actually being a problem with the install.
That's what I meant; administrator has little to do with your account; it's a privilege to run a file; if the program isn't being run with administrative privileges it may not have the ability to overwrite other files.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Overrated? Greatness is the best inslot trink for melee.

But you're right, for a mage, the death card isn't as good as the sundial of the exiled. Actually, a lot of trinks are better than death.
I agree that it is, I just don't think it's shitting all over say, Fury of the Five Flights. 7000g is an awful lot of gold.

I will freely admit I think most things that cost a shitload of gold aren't really worth it.

Macattk15

Angry Grimace said:
I agree that it is, I just don't think it's shitting all over say, Fury of the Five Flights. 7000g is an awful lot of gold.

I will freely admit I think most things that cost a shitload of gold aren't really worth it.

On the Darkmoon cards ... you have to factor in the players time spent on making the deck .... waiting so long to compile all those randomly generated cards for the deck ... I'd charge someone 7k for it too.

Macattk15 said:
On the Darkmoon cards ... you have to factor in the players time spent on making the deck .... waiting so long to compile all those randomly generated cards for the deck ... I'd charge someone 7k for it too.

I agree that they are somewhat overpriced. From my own experience, Greatness decks have cost anywhere from 2.5 to 4k for me to complete. It also depends on the server's economy. The cheaper Eternal Life + Adder's Tongue/Lichbloom/Icethorn are, the cheaper the decks will be.

If you don't want to shell out 5-7k for the deck, I would suggest buying herbs cheap (15-20g) per stack and getting cheap Eternal Life (under 10g) and getting a scribe friend to make the cards for you. It's all based on RNG, but if you find good deals on herbs and eternals and get lucky, you can probably make yourself a deck for half of what people are charging.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Angry Grimace said:

Depends on your class/spec. For feral the greatness deck craps all over Fury. Only better trinket is Grim Toll (barely if you stack arp) or Mjolnir Runestone. I don't run 10s usually so Mjolnir is out (although Thorim 10man hardmode is lolez). Even if I were to get it I'd replace grim toll (wasted ArP if the procs overlap) and Greatness would still be BiS.

A well spent 8k imo.

Angry Grimace

offtopic said:
Depends on your class/spec. For feral the greatness deck craps all over Fury. Only better trinket is Grim Toll (barely if you stack arp) or Mjolnir Runestone. I don't run 10s usually so Mjolnir is out (although Thorim 10man hardmode is lolez). Even if I were to get it I'd replace grim toll (wasted ArP if the procs overlap) and Greatness would still be BiS.

A well spent 8k imo.
As long as its YOUR 8000 gold. :lol

I can't imagine spending 8000 gold on something that's somewhat likely to be replaced in 3.2 (although, granted I figured it would be done for in 3.1). Epic Flying, ok, since you use that all the time in all zones; but a piece of gear? Really?

Hell, I felt it was a gold-throwaway when I bought the Valor bracers for my priest for 800g.

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
PM Pong sent back.
How to play Frost DK:

Use Frost Strike. A Lot.

Actually, 2H Frost is my "main" DK spec; and I somehow wrangled my way into a Heroic Gun'drak with a few friends, and all three DPS were Death Knights; one Blood DK, an Unholy DK and myself. I topped the meters at like 3250 and they were not far behind at all, somewhere like 2800 and 3000. They were not only surprised they weren't first, but they said that as far as they knew, Frost DK was not "viable" as a DPS class. That's my problem with the class, actually; it's more subject to slavishly following the spectrends than any other class I know. Hence why 90% of my realm is Blood-specced now.

Macattk15

Angry Grimace said:
How to play Frost DK:

Use Frost Strike. A Lot.

Actually, 2H Frost is my "main" DK spec; and I somehow wrangled my way into a Heroic Gun'drak with a few friends, and all three DPS were Death Knights; one Blood DK, an Unholy DK and myself. I topped the meters at like 3250 and they were not far behind at all, somewhere like 2800 and 3000. They were not only surprised they weren't first, but they said that as far as they knew, Frost DK was not "viable" as a DPS class. That's my problem with the class, actually; it's more subject to slavishly following the spectrends than any other class I know. Hence why 90% of my realm is Blood-specced now.

Guess you've never played a DPS warrior .... see one, ya see em all! Spec wise anyway.

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:
Guess you've never played a DPS warrior .... see one, ya see em all! Spec wise anyway.
Actually, my two 80s are DPS Warrior and DPS DK :lol

I have my guy in some bizarro-world Arms spec that I pulled outta my ass wanted to try because I frankly find Fury DPS Warrior about as interesting as watching paint dry (Whirlwind, Bloodthirst Slam on proc). But it sucks compared to Fury's DPS :(

I probably will have to switch back.

Macattk15

Angry Grimace said:
Actually, my two 80s are DPS Warrior and DPS DK :lol

I have my guy in some bizarro-world Arms spec that I pulled outta my ass wanted to try because I frankly find Fury DPS Warrior about as interesting as watching paint dry (Whirlwind, Bloodthirst Slam on proc). But it sucks compared to Fury's DPS :(

I probably will have to switch back.

Ah.

All my spreadsheets say I'll do more damage as Fury in my current gear .... but on single target fights I'm just not seeing it ... so I stay Arms and do pretty damn respectable DPS.

Fury is boring also, I agree.

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:
Ah.

All my spreadsheets say I'll do more damage as Fury in my current gear .... but on single target fights I'm just not seeing it ... so I stay Arms and do pretty damn respectable DPS.

Fury is boring also, I agree.
Granted, I hate having to sit around playing the DoT-debuff minigame, but Fury takes it a bit too far in the "whitedamagelol" category

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright, well my rogue should be hitting 80 tonight or tomorrow. :D

I'm going to go ahead and do high level instances, and heroics and get geared up for Naxx.

A few questions:

1) Are there specific dungeons or pieces of gear I should be looking at asap for my Rogue? I've already got my engineering goggles, so I'm set for my helm until Naxx.

2) What is the instance/raid spec for rogues nowadays? I'm geared for combat right now, but I'm open to changing specs if need be.

3) What stats should I be focusing on first? Is hit my priority until capped? What about agi/crit? What gems should I be focusing on? Also, does the 5% to hit combat talent actually give the equivalent of 5% worth of hit rating?

4) What's the best way to make money nowadays? Dailies? Which dailies should I be doing?

Many thanks.

Angry Grimace

TheExodu5 said:

I'm going to go ahead and do high level instances, and heroics and get geared up for Naxx.

A few questions:

1) Are there specific dungeons or pieces of gear I should be looking at asap for my Rogue? I've already got my engineering goggles, so I'm set for my helm until Naxx.

2) What is the instance/raid spec for rogues nowadays? I'm geared for combat right now, but I'm open to changing specs if need be.

3) What stats should I be focusing on first? Is hit my priority until capped? What about agi/crit? What gems should I be focusing on? Also, does the 5% to hit combat talent actually give the equivalent of 5% worth of hit rating?

4) What's the best way to make money nowadays? Dailies? Which dailies should I be doing?

Many thanks.
I had started to type out a long resopnse, but I realized whatever I would type would be vastly inferior to just reading this post:

http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t37183-pocket_guide_wotlk_updated_3_1_a/

TheExodu5 said:

A few questions:

Many thanks.

This site is a good resource for pre-raid gear and raid gear, specs, gems, and enchants.
http://shadowpanther.net/

Also, the armory is good for that too. Just look yourself up and click on find upgrade and look for all the BOE, badge, crafted, and dungeon drops you can get. http://wowarmory.com

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have eng and mining as profs. You might be able to make good money selling crafted ammo, titansteel bars, Eternals, raw gems, and ore.

firex

I just wish the shaman forum on EJ was more organized. If I'm not mistaken, I just need a few pieces to have enough hit rating at 80, although god knows I'll lose some hit when I get upgrades in other spots. Either that or I'm way over the hit cap, but I could've sworn they need about 370 hit rating for enhance.

Actually, I really want to go elemental, but I think that might be the worst itemized spec in the game. Imagine holy paladins' plate healing gear in terms of armor type/role compositions that can use it, except there is way less of it because enhance is a viable dps spec that shares a lot of hunter gear.

edit: my main problem with enhance is how boring it is, though. Elemental wasn't a lot better while leveling, but at 80 I'll just be grouping or doing dailies, and ele is more fun there. Enhance is just spamming 3 instants and lightning bolt on MWx5.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks for the links, guys.

Oni Link 666 said:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have eng and mining as profs. You might be able to make good money selling crafted ammo, titansteel bars, Eternals, raw gems, and ore.

Yep. I think I'm going to try to exploit engineering as best I can. I'm on a low pop server, and there's a serious lack of people exploiting some crafted stuff. I'm the only one selling overcharged capacitors on the server, and I seem to sell about 5 a day at 25g a piece (costs me 8g to make using AH mats, though I usually have the mats myself). Not a terrible income. I'll look into what else I can sell. :)

Also, when I get home, I'm going to have to calculate the EP of engineering according to that crazy thread. I think it's a lot better than people let on. 340 haste at 10 seconds out of 60 gives a passive 56.7 haste rating, which is better than any glove enchant you can get. Probably not as good as other professions, but it's something.

Xabora

2ypf7z9.jpg

Yay, product promotion placements!

firex

There's nothing better for you to buy for feral gear. You can also get level 1 restricted enchants (most enchants up to 300, I believe) put on that dagger if you want. If you did that I'd just get the old agility enchant. I think it's +15 agi to 1h weapon.

Xabora

Belfast said:
Yup, got mine today, too!

I swear the bot's techno-babble contains hidden messages telling me to buy Mountain Dew!
11aia68.jpg

Taught some guildies the secret how to get the Battle Fuel on the First day. :D

Angry Grimace

funkmastergeneral said:
never, ever play a shadow priest then.
I has one at 67, although it's only for leveling. I plan to heal that fucker at 80

Lain

Was reading that EU players could get the pet as well, so went and redeemed both a pet and a fuel, and nothing shows in my mailbox. Sucks.

Xabora

Lain said:
Was reading that EU players could get the pet as well, so went and redeemed both a pet and a fuel, and nothing shows in my mailbox. Sucks.
You need to log out entirely, then log back in.

Gloomfire said:
You get this from Game Fuel I'm assuming?
Yup

firex

EoE

VoA is super easy, although I guess Emalon can be tough for some people. Naxx is really easy on both versions though.

Oh, I didn't see that that was 10 man only. Emalon is ridiculously easy in 10m, it's hilarious. The only real challenges are Maly and Saph. Both can be a real bitch in 10 man if you don't overgear em.

Oh and not getting bored to death in Naxx.

firex said:
I just wish the shaman forum on EJ was more organized. If I'm not mistaken, I just need a few pieces to have enough hit rating at 80, although god knows I'll lose some hit when I get upgrades in other spots. Either that or I'm way over the hit cap, but I could've sworn they need about 370 hit rating for enhance.

Yea, I think it's pretty funny how varied EJ is in quality from class to class. Going from their hunter or warlock stuff to DK or shaman is incredibly awkward.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Gloomfire said:
So, if we cleared Naxx 10 with maybe 3 wipes, we should do fine in VoA10 and OS10? And maybe struggle a bit more in EoE10?
Probably. EOE is a bit orthogonal since its a gimmicky fight.

firex

offtopic said:
That dagger is basically useless since ferals can't dualwield. You want staffs or polearms or 2h maces.
There is no good heirloom for ferals though. I mean, I wouldn't get it just for a feral, but the good thing with heirlooms is you can always transfer them to some other class, like a rogue or hunter.

Angry Grimace

offtopic said:
Probably. EOE is a bit orthogonal since its a gimmicky fight.
I personally LOATHE non player related (i.e. Vehicle based) boss fights. The only reason I didn't get through Malygos as pretty much a joke fight is becuase of the obnoxiousness of those fucking drakes and how no matter how much DPS a guy puts out, you can't guarnatee he's any good on those fucking mounts.

idlewild_

Angry Grimace said:
I personally LOATHE non player related (i.e. Vehicle based) boss fights. The only reason I didn't get through Malygos as pretty much a joke fight is becuase of the obnoxiousness of those fucking drakes and how no matter how much DPS a guy puts out, you can't guarnatee he's any good on those fucking mounts.

sorry, if this 'guy' can't press 1-1-2 and move counterclockwise, then something is seriously wrong.

Weenerz

Banned
idlewild_ said:
sorry, if this 'guy' can't press 1-1-2 and move counterclockwise, then something is seriously wrong.

Agree 100%, P3 of Malygos is such a joke. The vehicle boss fights have gotten a lot better, Flame Leviathan is pretty fucking awesome.

Gloomfire said:
So, if we cleared Naxx 10 with maybe 3 wipes, we should do fine in VoA10 and OS10? And maybe struggle a bit more in EoE10?

You'll blast through OS. Might struggle on Emalon in VoA but you'll down the other boss easily.

Dunno about EoE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom