• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
idlewild_ said:
sorry, if this 'guy' can't press 1-1-2 and move counterclockwise, then something is seriously wrong.
I'm not saying it's hard; it's just that people that seem supremely confident and blaze through P1 and P2 suddenly run around like chickens with their heads cut off as soon as you start P3. It's not the pressing of 1-1-2 that seems to bother people, it's the horribly difficult wrinkle of pressing 5 on getting Surged :lol

Angry Grimace said:
I'm not saying it's hard; it's just that people that seem supremely confident and blaze through P1 and P2 suddenly run around like chickens with their heads cut off as soon as you start P3. It's not the pressing of 1-1-2 that seems to bother people, it's the horribly difficult wrinkle of pressing 5 on getting Surged :lol

You shouldn't have to shield if you group up and move as soon as the spark starts coming towards you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
cubicle47b said:
You shouldn't have to shield if you group up and move as soon as the spark starts coming towards you.
You don't shield the sparks, you shield the Surge of Power.

TheExodu5

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

Damn...people would have my setup. :lol

I've got 1-7, Shift 1-6, and Ctrl 1-5 all set up as skills, as well as Q, SQ, E, SE, CE, R, SR, CR, F, SF, CF, Z, and Q set up for skills/items. :lol

TBH, I don't know how the hell I remember all of the binds. Last night, I had some twisted mind warp where I thought I was my warlock and I was pressing all the wrong skills on my rogue. =\ It doesn't help that both toons have almost the same name (Prinny, Pringer), and are identical looking Gnomes. =\

Angry Grimace

An irritating quirk I discovered while leveling through Outlands:

If you have dual spec and return to train new ranks frequently, you will discover that upon training new ranks of skill, they do NOT automatically update your hotbars on specs you are not in. i.e. I noticed that my Mind Blast seemed kind of shitty, and noticed it was 2 ranks behind :lol, and then upon investigation, found that my entire skill bar in Shadow-spec was a rank or two behind. :lol, not to mention my non-shadowform healing spells. (This one I didnt' noticed until I was starting to wonder why Greater Heal wasn't healing me all the way up and took up so much mana)

idlewild_

Angry Grimace said:

you don't need to shield the surge, just heal through it, shielding is a waste of combo points and in turn stacks. only shield if you're under 60% and only with 1 cp (which should rarely happen). if you're losing a lot of people to the surges, its either b/c your heals are slacking (which, honestly, is pretty much impossible) or people aren't moving out of sparks fast enough.

Angry Grimace

idlewild_ said:
you don't need to shield the surge, just heal through it, shielding is a waste of combo points and in turn stacks. only shield if you're under 60% and only with 1 cp (which should rarely happen). if you're losing a lot of people to the surges, its either b/c your heals are slacking (which, honestly, is pretty much impossible) or people aren't moving out of sparks fast enough.
For one, I've never heard anyone use the tactic of just taking a Surge, and second, if the person in question is incapable of pressing 5 when targetted, do you really think they are capable of not taking any damage to the spark fields? :lol

This is why I stopped running with said guild; because it was relatively aggravating getting to P3 with 4 and a half minutes left and dying anyways because apparently, moving is difficult.

Angry Grimace said:

Yes, but the way people die is by being low from taking spark damage right before (or after) being focused by Malygos.

For one, I've never heard anyone use the tactic of just taking a Surge

It's standard practice for 6 minute Malygos.

Angry Grimace

cubicle47b said:
Yes, but the way people die is by being low from taking spark damage right before (or after) being focused by Malygos.

It's standard practice for 6 minute Malygos.
Granted, I haven't tried Malygos in several months.

Angry Grimace

Weenerz said:
:lol Love the backtracking. You go from being an expert to not having done the fight for several months.
Dude, what? Since when was this an "argument" at all in which I would need to "backtrack?" What was I "backtracking" on? It's just a discussion about that particular phase of that fight; i.e. there isn't an "argument" to win or backtrack on. I didn't say they were WRONG about it, did I? I don't doubt that eating the surge like that works, I just never heard of doing it that way.

Seriously, why the aggression?

Angry Grimace

GDJustin said:
I've pugged mal several times and we just ate the surge without problems.
I might try PUGging it on my DK if someone's doing it (my guild broke up a few months ago and I'm mostly leveling my priest); perhaps I'll just suggest doing it that way; the rest of the fight isn't really all that hard if the tank positions Maly the right way.

firex

Every time I've done Maly10 there's just 2 people assigned to healing, and yeah, people either shield for surge if they're low or they just take it. But phase 3 Maly would be easier if that Wyrmrest daily with the drake that's just like phase 3 Maly was a mandatory quest.

Alex

Flame Levi is fun the first time or two, but now it's just annoying. We did 4 towers yesterday too and I couldn't even notice a fucking difference. They should've made the hard mode harder, coz I do like the vehicle stuff.

Malygos is an extremely easy fight that's extremely difficult to pug in my experience. People just love to stand in the god damn lightning or fail to put up their flame shield. I dont do out of guild stuff anymore because of those kinds of screwups are so common on my server. That really sucks because we don't do anything but Ulduar 25 anymore (and Vault)

P2 in a low DPS group is also annoying as a healer.

Angry Grimace

firex said:
Every time I've done Maly10 there's just 2 people assigned to healing, and yeah, people either shield for surge if they're low or they just take it. But phase 3 Maly would be easier if that Wyrmrest daily with the drake that's just like phase 3 Maly was a mandatory quest.
Nobody ever seemed to have done that quest. :lol

We never had any problem with the original strategy other than the fact that 50% of the people just managed to die soon after that Phase started due to whatever. Just shielding yourself seems like a decent enough strategy given that we entered P3 with around 3-4 minutes left most of the time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Good news for alts :

In the next major content patch, we intend to adjust mount requirements to further improve the leveling experience in World of Warcraft. In addition, cast times for summoning all mounts will be reduced to 1.5 seconds, down from 3 seconds. The following is a breakdown of the upcoming cost and level requirement changes we are making for each riding skill.

* Apprentice Riding (Skill 75)

o 60% land mount speed
o Requires level 20
o Cost: 4 gold
o Mount cost: 1 gold
o Mail will be sent to players at level 20 guiding them to the riding trainer

* Journeyman Riding (Skill 150)

o 100% land mount speed
o Requires level 40
o Cost: 50 gold
o Mount cost: 10 gold
o Mail will be sent to players at level 40 guiding them back to the riding trainer

* Expert Riding (Skill 225)

o 150% flying mount speed; 60% land mount speed
o Requires level 60
o Cost: 600 gold (faction discounts now apply)
o Mount Cost: 50 gold
o Can now be learned in Honor Hold (Alliance) or Thrallmar (Horde)

* Artisan Riding (Skill 300)

o 280% flying mount speed; 100% land mount speed
o Requires level 70
o Cost: 5,000 gold (faction discounts now apply)
o Mount Cost: 100 gold

Bisnic

Weenerz said:
Faction discounts on the 300% training?! What rep do we have to farm?

That blood elf in Dalaran is with Kirin Tor i think. And the guys in Shadowmoon Valley.. i suppose with Honor Hold/Thrallmar?

Lain

All the horde alts I have at 70+ have the 300 riding skill already, so not much interest for that.
The fact the 60% riding skill level to learn is even lower, on the other hand... that's gonna be pretty awesome.
Also, the first flying skill getting a bump in speed is awesome for the 70 ally shaman I have.

Wish the CT for the horses was removed, myself, or at most made as 0.1 to force you to be standing still to use, but still faster than 1.5, anyways it being halved is already better.

firex

man, it's a pain in the ass building an elemental set from scratch. At least there are good jewelry pieces. I need to farm JC daily tokens for the caster ring equivalent of ring of scarlet shadows, though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
wtf I can login on my notebook but not my desktop.

I was logged in, windows did an update, it restarted, it detected and set up a second monitor, now it's messed up....

Edit: It was stuck on "connecting" on my desktop. Then it would pop up with a link to a website with trouble shooting. Now it's saying "login server is down" all while I can login on my notebook on the same network.

Edit 2: I took out the second monitor and uninstalled the updates using the add/uninstall app. I don't know if that helped or if something funky was going on for an hour. When I go to windows updates the updates I maybe uninstalled don't show up.

Foster

Finally the cast speed is reduced for mounts :D I'm newish to the game and that's one thing that bugged me :p

Also this is typical I have just reached 78, got all my flying skills and paid full whack for them, oh well, i couldn't wait any longer I was itching for a flying mount :lol

Quake1028

Bisnic said:
Good news for alts :

Any idea when this patch is supposed to happen? Also, with the increase in speed for regular flying, does that mean we will now be able to buy Swift Riders without Artisan or will they just bump the speed on the regular Wind Riders?

firex

It's not going to allow you to buy swift flying mounts anyway. you'll still need 300 riding first. This is just making the slow flying mounts fly at 150% speed instead of 60%.

TomServo

Angry Grimace said:
For one, I've never heard anyone use the tactic of just taking a Surge, and second, if the person in question is incapable of pressing 5 when targetted, do you really think they are capable of not taking any damage to the spark fields?.

We ate the surges on our weekly six-minute Maly kills. It's more of an idiot check on the healers, since they have to rotate the AoE heals so that one is always going off.

Think we flirted with the old five-minute kill a few times towards the end.

EDIT: The riding changes crack me up, because I'm about two waitlist nights from having my only alt to level 68 and in Northrend. I guess I'll save a little money on buying the flying skills once I ding 80.

The only benefit I could imagine for me is if I get some odd desire to turn my 58 DK into something more than a bank alt.

Overall I think they're good changes. 20-30 really drags more than it should now and the mount will speed that up. Epic mount at 40 won't make too much of a difference, because those levels go quick already. I can't imagine what 150% flying at 60 is going to do - new players will barely see Outland with that ability, and hitting WotLK leveling from 70-80 will be like hitting a brick wall.

Quake1028

firex said:
It's not going to allow you to buy swift flying mounts anyway. you'll still need 300 riding first. This is just making the slow flying mounts fly at 150% speed instead of 60%.

Still a huge improvement, IMO, and something to look forward to on my alt.

Bisnic

Well.. at least DKs wont be the only class with a 100% mount in the 50-59 BG bracket. :lol

I also love the lvl 29 twinks crying in the forums because they will now have mounts.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Patch is still a bit off isn't it? Not sure if I should keep lvling my new Blood Elf Paladin or stop at 20 for the changes. Class is fun by the way. I'm usually pure melee classes so playing with any form of magic and seals is new to me.

Quake1028

What are the levels and the costs for mounts now? Been a while for most so I've forgotten:

30 regular

60 epic ground

70 regular flying & artisan flying

77 cold weather flying

Not sure if that is right.

Retro

Gloomfire said:
What are the levels and the costs for mounts now? Been a while for most so I've forgotten:
Used to be 40 regular, 60 epic, 70 flyer/epic flyer, 77 Cold Weather.

Currently it is 30 regular, 60 epic, 70 flyer/epic flyer, 77 Cold Weather.

After 3.2, it will be 20 regular, 40 epic, 60 flyer, 70 epic flyer, 77 Cold weather.

I have to say, I am pleased I will be able to get a flying mount at 60 now, that will help overcome the obnoxious expanses of Outland. I have another Paladin at 62 I've been wanting to bring up for PVP, but the thought of walking through Zangamarsh and Terrokar just grates on me.

Foster said:
Finally the cast speed is reduced for mounts :D I'm newish to the game and that's one thing that bugged me :p

You think that's irritating? In Vanguard, you can summon mounts while walking. In fact, you can cast every spell while moving, but doing so increases the cast time. It's something I loved about the game and wish more MMOs would consider.

TomServo

Retro said:
After 3.2, it will be 20 regular, 40 epic, 60 flyer, 70 epic flyer, 77 Cold weather.

I have to say, I am pleased I will be able to get a flying mount at 60 now, that will help overcome the obnoxious expanses of Outland.

Yup, a 150% flyer at 60 is huge.

Right now you effectively don't fly until 77 because you should be heading to Northrend at 68.

TheExodu5

Banned
TomServo said:
Overall I think they're good changes. 20-30 really drags more than it should now and the mount will speed that up. Epic mount at 40 won't make too much of a difference, because those levels go quick already. I can't imagine what 150% flying at 60 is going to do - new players will barely see Outland with that ability, and hitting WotLK leveling from 70-80 will be like hitting a brick wall.

I don't know. Even with my ground mount, it was maybe 10 hours max per level. Plus, the Northrend quests are incredibly fun compared to Outlands/Classic.

Then again, yeah...Outlands will be like 3 hours per level now. :lol

FLEABttn

Banned
The mount changes are large, but they really need to do something about the leveling block of 40-58. In short, it's terrible. There's something wrong about 50-58 taking longer than 58-70.

Quake1028

TomServo said:
Yup, a 150% flyer at 60 is huge.

Right now you effectively don't fly until 77 because you should be heading to Northrend at 68.

That's exactly what I did. Didn't even get a flying mount until 77 so I could get cold weather with it. I always thought it kind of sucked to downgrade to a 60% mount, even though it was flying, since you were used to covering so much ground with the epic ground mount.

40-58 has *always* been terrible. Hitting level 40 almost made me cancel my account back when the game first came out. Too many shitty zones still in the game. Felwood, WPL, Searing, Steppes, Un Goro, Winterspring, they all fucking suck.

firex

WS can be pretty brutal if you don't have some way to dispel diseases. Man, that zone makes you wonder wtf they were thinking with classic WoW sometimes. I mean, I'm all for interesting/mob-appropriate debuffs, but mobs that can randomly proc (or cast, I guess?) a 30 minute disease that nerfs your stats and does nothing else? That alone makes me wary of leveling in WS again. I like the plaguelands, though. Or at least WPL. It's not perfect, but the cauldrons are a shitload of horde rep and practically half of an entire level by themselves now.

Luckily with alts and rest, I just go clear out Hinterlands and Feralas and stuff and I'm above the level for those zones, so I can skip some of the crappy 50s zones until 58. Or I even instance run, as that is becoming popular again on my server.

FLEABttn

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
40-58 has *always* been terrible. Hitting level 40 almost made me cancel my account back when the game first came out. Too many shitty zones still in the game. Felwood, WPL, Searing, Steppes, Un Goro, Winterspring, they all fucking suck.

I don't mind the zones, but how the questing is designed with them as well as in the 40-58 range sucks. None of these zones were designed to be done in one sitting. Each zone has 2-5 quests for you level before you start hitting orange or red quests, and then you're required to go half way around the world to get some decent leveling done. Re-adjust the mobs in these zones so that you narrow down the level range intended for them.

And just chop some xp required to level off because 40-58 is stupid slow compared to damn near anything else.

usea

So, anybody interested in buying my account? Not gonna link my armory, but my main is a druid. I have respectable balance and feral dps sets (~3800 target dummy dps each) and a pretty great resto set; mostly ulduar 10 and 25 gear. I also have over 100 badges of conquest and around 9k gold. Over 5k achievement points, plagued proto drake, green proto drake, soon to be violet proto drake, only 2 achievements away from a red one. Semi-completionist. Oh yeah, and several fragments of val'anyr..

I get the feeling that most of the gaf population has more time than money, and buying an account doesn't make much sense for them. :p Just thought I'd offer before somebody who won't appreciate it gets it.

Nitsuj23

usea said:
So, anybody interested in buying my account? Not gonna link my armory, but my main is a druid. I have respectable balance and feral dps sets (~3800 target dummy dps each) and a pretty great resto set; mostly ulduar 10 and 25 gear. I also have over 100 badges of conquest and around 9k gold. Over 5k achievement points, plagued proto drake, green proto drake, soon to be violet proto drake, only 2 achievements away from a red one. Semi-completionist. Oh yeah, and several fragments of val'anyr..

I get the feeling that most of the gaf population has more time than money, and buying an account doesn't make much sense for them. :p Just thought I'd offer before somebody who won't appreciate it gets it.
May I ask why you're selling?

usea

Nitsuj23 said:
May I ask why you're selling?
Guild drama made me quit. I was playing with my friends in a moderately successful guild, but I really don't want to play the game with them anymore after they acted like children. Also it gives me more time to focus on programming; I was definitely spending too much time on the game.

usea said:

I'd be interested. But that will go for a pretty penny, which I don't have =\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom