• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

idlewild_

Angry Grimace said:
Just skip it. I have a friend in all lvl200 gear in Uld25 and his heals aren't too bad in there :lol

given the hard modes in uld25, healers don't really need the gear until after all the dps/tanks have been geared out. been that way for years, and they don't seem to want to change anytime soon =d

idlewild_ said:
given the hard modes in uld25, healers don't really need the gear until after all the dps/tanks have been geared out. been that way for years, and they don't seem to want to change anytime soon =d
Being able to 4 heal some of the dps races > better geared dps.

Xabora said:
WWS is a dinosaur now.
It still has issues parsing some forms of damage.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/
WOL parses it all, shows more detail, even has a bar graph showing Bloodlust/Heroism, deaths and whatnot.

I just threw WWS out there as its the one I hear about often, I don't use it and am not in a guild that does, either. Good to know for the future, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gloomfire said:
I have a friend who is in mostly 200 level gear, some lower, and he's already into Uld10. Of course he's a Holy Priest.
That's just cause people are all prejudiced-like against Disc! :lol

Ulduar 10 is made for ilvl 200 gear. Disc is a nice spec but holy puts out a ridiculous amount of raid healing. 5-6K HPS on Ignis 25. The only way I can top them (holy paladin) is if we 4 heal it and I beacon heal the tank.

I reactivated my account a few days ago. Started leveling a Draenei Shaman. Level 26 after a couple days, seems to be going a lot faster than I remember. It also helps that I'm doing quests I've never done before, as opposed to those I've done 4 times in terms of keeping things fresh.

Alex

It's great to have one Disc Priest, but anything beyond that is useless.

If they plan to shuffle up the healing done on Holy Paladin in 3.2, I certainly hope they do it to Disc's tank healing as well. Disc is actually a fairly miserable tank healer compared to Holy Paladin, but it's damage prevention stacks up well and flinging bubbles everywhere does wonders for raid emergencies.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Angry Grimace said:
Just skip it. I have a friend in all lvl200 gear in Uld25 and his heals aren't too bad in there :lol
Sure. Anyone can get carried. Kinda like dps doing less than 3.5-4k on any boss...they can do it...but they are riding the coattails of others.

Gloomfire said:
I have a friend who is in mostly 200 level gear, some lower, and he's already into Uld10. Of course he's a Holy Priest.

Well it has nothing to do with my ability to heal Ulduar 25, just that I only have so much time to raid in a week and have been trying to get all my upgrades from Naxx before moving onto Ulduar. I'm a holy priest btw.

Alex said:
For a neck, well, what healing class are you? If you aren't doing Ulduar 25 in your guild, you could try pugging it some and doing Vault to save up Conquest badges and get the 226 neck from those. It's only 19.

Oo, this sounds like a good idea. I have like 11 at the moment and get anywhere from 2-4 a week, I hadn't even looked at the conquest vendor yet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
offtopic said:
Sure. Anyone can get carried. Kinda like dps doing less than 3.5-4k on any boss...they can do it...but they are riding the coattails of others.
Well he was a trial member and got into the guild and a regular Uld25 raid spot; so I have to assume the raid leaders think he's good enough.

Alex said:
It's great to have one Disc Priest, but anything beyond that is useless.

If they plan to shuffle up the healing done on Holy Paladin in 3.2, I certainly hope they do it to Disc's tank healing as well. Disc is actually a fairly miserable tank healer compared to Holy Paladin, but it's damage prevention stacks up well and flinging bubbles everywhere does wonders for raid emergencies.

Is disc really all that bad? I mean, from what I hear, the damage mitigation from PW:S is like 7000 dmg, and it's all instant, plus Weakened Soul gives a healing bonus to the priest. Of course the only real way to track the damage it's absorbing is by doing math based on the glyph that heals for 20% of it's absorption.

It's not really fair to compare anyone to Holy Paladin from my experience at raid leading though, at least not for tank healing.

Disc priests are pretty good tank healers, especially in comparison to a holy priest where I burn through mana trying to single heal a tank. Only problem (I've seen) is that a lot of disc healing is damage mitigation and not healing necessarily, and people who are staring at meters all day won't see this.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Angry Grimace said:
Well he was a trial member and got into the guild and a regular Uld25 raid spot; so I have to assume the raid leaders think he's good enough.
Yar...we carry needed classes and specs as well until they get geared up if we think the player is worth the time. Make no mistake tho, they are still getting carried for a while.

Angry Grimace

funkmastergeneral said:
Disc priests are pretty good tank healers, especially in comparison to a holy priest where I burn through mana trying to single heal a tank. Only problem (I've seen) is that a lot of disc healing is damage mitigation and not healing necessarily, and people who are staring at meters all day won't see this.
There is an addon that appends Recount to guess the amount of damage absorbed; it can only do this presumably with the glyph on and counting the number of times you get the proc from the shield getting fully absorbed.

But healing meters are frequently less than relevant.

Irnbru

Thought I'd drop in, having so much fun :)
I just hit 80 about two weeks ago on my warrior, and got gear'd up SUPER quick :)
Gonna continue workin uldar ten next week
So happy I got my Last Laught too. Great times
Such a stark contrast to gearing up and heroics in TBC
Loving this so much more really
[ orc warrior gilgamesh on coilfang]

Ripclawe

Banned
Battlegrounds
Objectives in the new Isle of Conquest Battleground
As for skipping objectives ... that is something we've thought about. In this particular battleground, the objectives are more of a strategic choice and less of a "you must cap them all" scenario. Though kudos will be in order for those who manage to take all of the unique objectives.

[...] The whole battleground is designed with the intention of you seizing your goal. So yes, rush to the hanger and acquire the airship so you can assault the enemy keep. Or rush to the factory, and claim it, so you can bring the walls of the enemies keep down around their ears. Don't think for an instant though, that you're going to be able to win the day without the assistance of at least one of the three offensive locations.

As for reinforcements and why you should hold the resources that garner them. We don't have a fixed number to give for their totals just yet. However, the Oil Derrick and the Cobalt Mine aren't just conduits for reinforcement acquisition. They also give you honor. The longer you hold either of them, the more honor you're going to amass - win or lose. (Source)

AV 2!

firex

omniCC + MiksBattleText (or something like that) are wonderful for letting me know when things are off cooldown, and I just use blizzard's default buff timers to know when a buff is about to run off. That combat text addon will show you when buffs run out on pets/other targets, too.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
firex said:
omniCC + MiksBattleText (or something like that) are wonderful for letting me know when things are off cooldown, and I just use blizzard's default buff timers to know when a buff is about to run off. That combat text addon will show you when buffs run out on pets/other targets, too.
Nice. I found those very useful. (Aside from the fact I disabled everything in Miks mod besides buff notification. I like blizzard's scrolling text better.)

I can't seem to get a ghoul frenzy alert tho.

Also, other death knights, compare critique my mods.

BossTactics (in game boss strat info)
DeadlyBossMods
DeathKNight.info Diseases (monitor diseases)
DeathKnight.info Runes (monitor runes)
Recount (dps meter)
Omen 3 (threat meter)
MiksBattleText (Monitor Buffs)
omniCC (Monitor cooldown cound)

Xabora

DeathNote said:
Can't seem to get it to work. Disabled all other mods. These are my settings:

Horn Of Winter
Enable Icon
Icon Type>Debuff
Unit to Watch>Player
Show me when buff>Absent

The icon stays whether the buff is on or not. I changed the settings to cooldown, pet, target, present, always.
Should be this:

Horn Of Winter
Enable Icon
Icon Type>Buff
Unit to Watch>Player
Show me when buff>Present

Alex

Disc is great to just have one, but due to the focus and the weakened soul debuff and the obviously non-stacking renewed hope, more than one is a waste.

The actual healing output is fairly weak, it's exceptionally weak compared to a Paladin and the mana regeneration also compared to a Paladin is hilariously bad. That's the problem currently.

However, classes and spells aren't built to be the same (and this is a lesson a lot of people would do well to learn). Disc makes up for it's weak throughput and average mana regen by bringing in good padding on the tank, aoe heals in a pinch and an amazing "oh shit" button with those very large PW:S's.

Honestly, I still think Disc is probably the worst healing tree in the game, BUT it is still good and it's very nice to have the one.

Plus, Ghostcrawler made it very clear that Illumination is getting kicked in the teeth in 3.2 anyway. If Paladins see their mana regeneration returned to Earth, I wouldn't mind seeing them get a new heal, myself.

firex

I'm definitely undergeared as resto, but I'm liking it to the point that I can't see how it's really bad. I reglyphed because I realized the riptide glyph sucks ass, and chain heal glyph is situationally useful, and now I am a mega tank healer who can blow chain heal/riptide on dps that pull aggro.

I'm wondering if it's worth crafting a titanium spellshock ring since I have improved water shield (my only real gripe with this talent is it doesn't proc on every crit heal, when I would like if it procced on crit chain heals) and my first healer ring is that one from the nexus or UK quest, I can't remember which. I guess if it's not worth making for my shaman, I can make one for my mage.

speaking of, I decided to respec him to frost since I have enough talent points to afford most of the good frost stuff (got to level 56 before running out of rested experience) and it's pretty good for a leveling build right now. Maybe better than fire, and both of them were pretty boringly situational. Now if only the 50-60 pvp bracket wasn't completely fucked up because of how overpowered and faceroll-y every DK is, with the Alliance getting a 20+ player advantage, I could maybe win an AV and get that stupid wand.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
Disc is great to just have one, but due to the focus and the weakened soul debuff and the obviously non-stacking renewed hope, more than one is a waste.

The actual healing output is fairly weak, it's exceptionally weak compared to a Paladin and the mana regeneration also compared to a Paladin is hilariously bad. That's the problem currently.

However, classes and spells aren't built to be the same (and this is a lesson a lot of people would do well to learn). Disc makes up for it's weak throughput and average mana regen by bringing in good padding on the tank, aoe heals in a pinch and an amazing "oh shit" button with those very large PW:S's.

Honestly, I still think Disc is probably the worst healing tree in the game, BUT it is still good and it's very nice to have the one.

Plus, Ghostcrawler made it very clear that Illumination is getting kicked in the teeth in 3.2 anyway. If Paladins see their mana regeneration returned to Earth, I wouldn't mind seeing them get a new heal, myself.
My priest is only at 70. My problem here is that I don't "know how" to heal (i.e., I am good enough at games that I can play whack a mole with people's health, but I dont' have any "experience".) My plan was to just learn on the fly in the much more fun lvl 70 instances, but I rather changed my mind after trying to heal 2 consecutive fail groups through regular Nexus; in which the tanks couldn't hold aggro and the DPS couldn't break 450. (for reference, my Priest can do around 800 in shadow with healing gear while soloing mobs and without buffs beyond self-buffs o_O)

Tamanon

Banned
Nexus can be a bitch to heal if your tanks/dps aren't that good. At least that mirror image boss. I hate healing against her.:/

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
Nexus can be a bitch to heal if your tanks/dps aren't that good. At least that mirror image boss. I hate healing against her.:/
Well the problem is that I can only Fade once in a while, not the whole fight. The fact is, when I tanked it on my Warrior, I NEVER had that problem because a single Shockwave/Thunder Clap puts out enough aggro to prevent healer aggro at the least.

I considered DPSing it in Shadow spec, but there's something aggravating about stacking DoTs on guys when those DoTs never finish and your DPS ends up sucking since I don't get a AoE until lvl 75.

Quake1028

Currently in Naxx10 we have a Rogue doing 1.4k DPS and a Boomkin doing 1.3 DPS. They are also rolling on all of the cloth gear (mainly the Boomkin) and winning. Meh.

Tamanon

Banned
I think the itemization of cloth gear is the one main thing keeping Blizzard from designing a monk-type class.:lol

Although I remember those old green boots that had +str -int on them. Weirdest cloth item ever.

firex

Not really. I mean if you can get them, they might not be bad, but if there are better itemized gloves out there, go for those instead. Basically if the 4 piece bonus is important, keep it, and when you get better gear for specific slots, you can use a different tier piece based upon what stats you would gain/lose to keep your set bonus.

You know things have officially peaked for Blizzard with WoW as before, they'd announce 1-2 million player base increases, now they're giving us 100k increases in the same amount of time. What makes it worse, are those folks who run 2-5 accounts at the same time as well. I've seen so many "That's it, I'm done..." styled posts on all the various forums out there, that when you add in talking to some folks on my old server (US-Proudmoore), that while every guild is going through massive guild recruitment drives right now, there's a deeper problem. That problem? While accounts are active, people are going longer and longer inbetween the times they log in. Right before I quit, I was logging in every 3-4 days. Common consensus between folks I've spoken with is that people are bored. They feel the game has lost both it's magic & it's challenge. Hunter friend said this to me on Vent "It's a case of the L's man. 'Log In. Loot Up. Log Out."

Alex

Yeah, lots of shift ups. It's the mid-expansion blues. Halfway between content patches.

And yeah, I agree, all I'm doing is logging on for raids and instantly logging off. It's pointless.

Some flaws people in my guild note a lot lately and I agree with all of them:

1.) PvP is completely fucking dead. BGs are useless, Arena is the most busted it's ever been and it's representation is down 50-60% for a reason. 3.2 better be fucking amazing, but after that "damage is fine in PvP" comment, I have no faith in it ever being playable again.

PvP in WoW is currently some of the worst I've ever experienced in the entire genre. Fuck I miss UO and Abyss Test. I've been saying that for a DECADE now. :(

2.) The Argent Tournament is the worst mainstay event of all time. Boring quests, really awkward theme, cool jousting mechanic that is painfully underused, and laughable rewards. "Let's take a bunch of existing shit and shrink it into pets!" is getting old. Again, 3.2 beter be amazing in terms of expanding on this.

3.) Leveling in this game sucks and you can't even make a social event out of it since it punishes you for not being anti-social. No one wants to even make alts anymore.

Even if you do make an alt, it's at that point where it'd just be a nuisance to do anything with it between the busted PvP and most guilds doing Ulduar and only Ulduar. =/

Ultimately I got nothing to do. Maxed out everything, rich as fuck, can't further a character outside of Ulduar 25 hard modes, not even fun to do a heroic anymore with the new designs on them, PvP is dead.

Bad spot for the game. For as much good as they did expanding it, they need to work a little more on shit to do for those at the top end but with nothing left to do. It's not like I'm some hard core dude who plays a zillion hours a week. I just played casual, but well, and I'm spent.

Alex said:
Yeah, lots of shift ups. It's the mid-expansion blues. Halfway between content patches.

And yeah, I agree, all I'm doing is logging on for raids and instantly logging off. It's pointless.

Some flaws people in my guild note a lot lately and I agree with all of them:

1.) PvP is completely fucking dead. BGs are useless, Arena is the most busted it's ever been and it's representation is down 50-60% for a reason. 3.2 better be fucking amazing, but after that "damage is fine in PvP" comment, I have no faith in it ever being playable again.

PvP in WoW is currently some of the worst I've ever experienced in the entire genre. Fuck I miss UO and Abyss Test. I've been saying that for a DECADE now. :(

2.) The Argent Tournament is the worst mainstay event of all time. Boring quests, really awkward theme, cool jousting mechanic that is painfully underused, and laughable rewards. "Let's take a bunch of existing shit and shrink it into pets!" is getting old.

3.) Leveling in this game sucks and you can't even make a social event out of it since it punishes you for not being anti-social. No one wants to even make alts anymore.

Even if you do make an alt, it's at that point where it'd just be a nuisance to do anything with it between the busted PvP and most guilds doing Ulduar and only Ulduar. =/

Considering that Blizzard only puts out expansions every 2 years and we're not even to that 1 year mark, things aren't looking very good at the moment there. I remember people saying "Oh, if you thought Naxx25 was too easy, don't worry. Ulduar25 will make the hardcore crowd happy." What do we have now? Flame Leviathon recently 2-manned in Ulduar10 and 4 manned in Ulduar25. The recent nerfings of Yogg will only make his clearings that much easier for everyone else, thus hastening the "I'm bored...." comments in random /gu chat and on the forums.

Alex

Yeah, I'm interested in some of 3.2, but there's a need with the type of content they're delivering to change, not just the amount. I want something challenging and involving to do outside of working on Mimiron hard mode or whatever shit I can only do a little bit each week.

I have another MMO I'm excited for, for the first time since WoW came out, but I don't really wanna totally drop ship, nor do I wanna just pay a sub for a couple days of Ulduar 25 access.

During BC I would always have stuff to do, arenas were playable (although still not my choice for PvP) bgs were great and I could play my alts in them and earn gear worth using. The dailies were cool, the heroics had decent gear and the tokens were worth something, as a Shadow Priest I could totally rock face in craftable/heroic gear until the start of Tier 6 content.

Netherwing was also cool, so was Zul'aman. I wish there was something awesome in Ulduar 10 that made me wanna go like Bears in Zul'aman. Or if anyone had a damn alt anymore they'd wanna take.

Now I just am totally bored and I barely play, so I dont even know how that's possible! I even stopped doing all my dailies. There's no point, I have 25,000 gold, if I want something I'll just buy it.

But yeah, our guild has like...1-3 people on if it's not raid time and gchat is being used largely to discuss other PC and console games almost exclusively.

Hopefully they churn out some amazing PvP tweaks, and deliver on that new Magister's Terrace clone. I just want some involving content that keeps my interest. I dont wanna see them take more mounts and wildlife and turn them into pets if you do a week of horrific, no challenge quests.

I'm finally getting around to playing Fallout 3 at least.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Adding to the endgame discussion:

-I have issues with PVP myself.
-I'm endgaming for the first time really since vanilla. I skipped BC endgame. I heard you can gear up in about 2 weeks these days. But, my guild is only doing uld 10. I'm geared enough to start naxx 10 but I haven't got into a group yet. Hell, I could skip and do 25 but no dice still. Doesn't help that my server is low in pop.

Dina

Coming back from a 2 week holiday, I wonder why I should bother continue playing WoW. Ulduar is an okay instance, but ultimately not worth playing for. PvP is borked in every aspect of the word (world-pvp, bg, arena). Alts are boring and WoW is pretty bland when you're a casual as well. I think it's time to get playing those christmas classics that came out this year.

Alex

Ulduar is a great dungeon, but after all the nerfs you can plow through it fast as hell on normal mode, then all you've got left is content to re-tread with a canyon like gap in difficulty. I'm doing the hard modes, and enjoying it, but with the unplayable PvP and the lack of worthwhile stuff to do on the side I feel like I'm 60 again and we're back to Naxxramas (classic) all over. Log in, raid, log out.

Also: Fuck hard mode game balance. I am sick of sitting our healers out.

The hard modes make Ulduar great. As for Flame Leviathan, it has more health with 4 towers up in the 10 man version than he does with 0 towers in the 25 man version and you don't have to deal with the tower abilities so it's not surprising that it was 4 manned. Yeah, you never overload it to drop its speed buff but positioning on opposite sides of the diagonal and keeping at max range it should be fairly easy. Might actually be easier than a full PuG because of positioning (you can maintain your pyrite supply easier and don't have to deal with them dragging FL over your position).

Also: Fuck hard mode game balance. I am sick of sitting our healers out.

We have 2 players switch between healing/dps depending on the fight, an elemental/resto shaman and resto/balance druid.

TomServo

I'm certainly playing a lot less. Ulduar isn't really compelling, but I didn't expect it to be. I'm just continuing to gear up hoping that the next tier content will be impressive.

I don't do arenas or BG's, but I did enjoy doing the WG dailies. Now that those are gone I'm not doing WG every day.

I did enough of the tournament dailies to get two titles, but more titles, mounts, pets, etc don't do anything for me. I still ride my old school dreadsteed. Heroics are pointless now, plus they're total facerolls.

Other than raid nights I log in once a day for 30 min to do the cooking and fishing dailies and manage the few auctions I've put up. I've got an alt but it's only bearable to level up when he's rested so that's just waitlist time filler that doesn't drive any more time online.

Quake1028

So that Boomkin I talked about earlier got about 4 or 5 new pieces of gear. Next week he better improve on that DPS ;). Still not sure how he only did 1.3 DPS, even in sub-optimal gear.

I was pretty happy that I did 2.7 for the instance and topped the charts. We 1 shotted everything except 2 shots on Gluth and KT, and we could have 1 shotted them except for a few screwups, and probably with 2-3 weak DPS being replaced.

usea

I'm pretty sure Flame Leviathan was only undermanned because of a bug where you can pull him through the wall and fight him while standing on the healing pad thing. So you're basically invincible. I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom