• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

TomServo said:
I've never played a mage, and ours are very good but very flaky... I have noticed that they've all abandoned arcane and fire in Uldaur25. We had one hit 10K dps sustained on Hodir a couple of weeks into 3.1. He's a freaking machine though, why he raids with us is beyond me.

If it's anything like warlocks, sometimes the top spreadsheet dps has a hard time converting into real world dps for us mere mortals. Prior to 3.1 afflcition was the top dps spec for 'locks, but I'd bury our very competent affliction 'lock on every fight in Naxx using a total /faceroll hybrid spec (that has since been destroyed by moving one talent from destro to demo).

I don't know what specs our mages are .... Shivz, Suna and Chintaka (Trollbane - US) ... but they pop off 10-16k DPS almost always on Hodir and are quite high on other fights. Just stand by them fires and let em rip ... get those storm buffs too if possible.

Now if our locks can follow what they do and do somewhat close to that kind of DPS ... Hodir hard mode would be no problem ... we were 17 seconds off it last week and a ton of melee was destroyed by falling ice chunks while caught ni frost novas.

TheExodu5

Banned
To Gloomfire:

I'm not sure how the different mage specs work (never played a Mage). Is it possible that fire has longer cast times? Maybe you're casting more spells with Arcane, and down time in between casts is adding up?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LAUGHTREY said:
I meant that maybe he shows up with a 'sick of this shit' attitude and tries to finish the party right then and there, but either he underestimates everyone or Tirion shows up and weakens him (which would make killing him in 3.3 more believable, since he's so goddamn powerful) or its the whole holy ground situation from the Death Knight quests again.

But the reason I have a good suspicion about this is the story behind the tournament has been that the black knight is there sent by the lich king to assassinate the strongest fighters, the black knight wasn't placeholder'd like the last boss of the 10/25 man version so I'm thinking it's going to be a huge surprise.
Tirion already DID how up and weaken him. Quest in Icecrown to destroy Artha's heart.

VaLiancY

pvehorde_fists.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

idlewild_

Macattk15 said:
I don't know what specs our mages are .... Shivz, Suna and Chintaka (Trollbane - US) ... but they pop off 10-16k DPS almost always on Hodir and are quite high on other fights. Just stand by them fires and let em rip ... get those storm buffs too if possible.

Now if our locks can follow what they do and do somewhat close to that kind of DPS ... Hodir hard mode would be no problem ... we were 17 seconds off it last week and a ton of melee was destroyed by falling ice chunks while caught ni frost novas.

I assume he means the starlights, since the only person who should purposefully be standing near the fires is your singed debuff stacker (prolly a SV hunter). But, yeah, your mages are probably doing something wrong (likely not maximising their starlight and storm power buffs).

I saw Thrall and Garrosh on one side and Jaina, Wyrn, and Tyron on the other. They were all cubes though.

http://i41.tinypic.com/w174og.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/nltok9.jpg

I also did the new BG. It seems like fun. It's kind of like AV meets SotA. You use siege engines to break down the wall of the other faction's keep and fight a boss inside. You can also board an airship and use turrets. And you can even jump down from the airships safely because you use a parachute.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hd48l4.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/1ilue0.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/5p318y.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2rnilwl.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/15d17l.jpg

Quake1028

TheExodu5 said:
To Gloomfire:

I'm not sure how the different mage specs work (never played a Mage). Is it possible that fire has longer cast times? Maybe you're casting more spells with Arcane, and down time in between casts is adding up?

FFB and Arcane Blast are close in cast times I would say. I really don't know what the deal is. I can drop a couple of +16 crit gems for +16 haste ones, but I don't know if that will make a huge difference. I have 354 haste as it is.

Macattk15

idlewild_ said:
I assume he means the starlights, since the only person who should purposefully be standing near the fires is your singed debuff stacker (prolly a SV hunter). But, yeah, your mages are probably doing something wrong (likely not maximising their starlight and storm power buffs).

Yeah I don't know what the hell the mages do.

They just do a ton of damage on that fight like the melee do on XT.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The VanCleef set should be a reuse of the Blackened Defias Armor :lol

Alex

I still probably won't touch Arena in 3.2. Even with the death of 2's and the changes to resilience, I'll just wait for the new Battleground systems in 3.3 and enjoy the Isle of Conquest every now and then. I'm really just sick of even reading about Arena, I got my Gladiator during S2 and I'd never do that again in a million years.

Especially now though, the skew of melee to caster is just absolutely fucked in this expansion. They really need to take it further with the set up times on Death Knight and Retribution, and apply a few simple fixes to Rogue (axe Deadly Brew, nerf non-damaging poison effects by 50% and change Shiv to amp the offhands poison back).

I don't think anyone would mind seeing stuns receive a damage cap of 25-30% HP or so, either. (Yknow, except the ones that like to rip off 70% of your HP while you can't even react.) It gets a little tiresome being ripped apart by two melee, while stunned, in a handful of GCD's while I'm wearing 1050 resilience.

Really, it's just ridiculous. Forget me, poor Mages and Warlocks have to be fucking babysat by melee and I get sick of seeing it. The only reason shit like RMP works still is because of the R, and who gets nerfed? Everyone but the R.

I'll never understand how melee with more defenses than cloth casters doing more damage with instant attacks on infinite resource systems than cast time nukes is a good idea in anyones mind. I can get on my alt Death Knight, and my Frost Strikes do 30-40% more damage than my main's 3v3 partner Mage's Frost Bolts. It's just mind boggling.

Warrior is like the only respectable melee class left, and feels on par with the caster competetion.

This is probably because a Warrior does about 30-40% of the damage a Death Knight or Paladin does in PvP

Quake1028

Any Arcane Mages here feel free to chime in with their rotation. So far I have heard:

AB + AB + AM (even if MB doesn't proc)

AB + AB + AB + ABarr (sub AM if MB procs)

TheExodu5

Banned
Alex said:
I still probably won't touch Arena in 3.2. Even with the death of 2's and the changes to resilience, I'll just wait for the new Battleground systems in 3.3 and enjoy the Isle of Conquest every now and then. I'm really just sick of even reading about Arena, I got my Gladiator during S2 and I'd never do that again in a million years.

Especially now though, the skew of melee to caster is just absolutely fucked in this expansion. They really need to take it further with the set up times on Death Knight and Retribution, and apply a few simple fixes to Rogue (axe Deadly Brew, nerf non-damaging poison effects by 50% and change Shiv to amp the offhands poison back).

I don't think anyone would mind seeing stuns receive a damage cap of 25-30% HP or so, either. (Yknow, except the ones that like to rip off 70% of your HP while you can't even react.) It gets a little tiresome being ripped apart by two melee, while stunned, in a handful of GCD's while I'm wearing 1050 resilience.

Really, it's just ridiculous. Forget me, poor Mages and Warlocks have to be fucking babysat by melee and I get sick of seeing it. The only reason shit like RMP works still is because of the R, and who gets nerfed? Everyone but the R.

I'll never understand how melee with more defenses than cloth casters doing more damage with instant attacks on infinite resource systems than cast time nukes is a good idea in anyones mind. I can get on my alt Death Knight, and my Frost Strikes do 30-40% more damage than my main's 3v3 partner Mage's Frost Bolts. It's just mind boggling.

Warrior is like the only respectable melee class left, and feels on par with the caster competetion.

This is probably because a Warrior does about 30-40% of the damage a Death Knight or Paladin does in PvP

Mage is a friggin' melee killer.

Classes are not balanced 1v1. Mage brings a hell of a lot of utility to PvP, so you can't just go by damage numbers.

Mage + Rogue + Priest is a friggin' deadly combo on my Battle Group.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Those who think 3.2 is dropping too fast, I think you're mistaken. Consider this -

- 3.2 isn't dropping today. It's probably at least 6-8 weeks away from going live, meaning we'll see it at the end of August

- 8% of guilds have dead'd Yoggy. That's not a huge number, but it's no slouch either, in terms of overall player base progression.

- Although only 8% have killed Yogg, over double that many, 16%, have cleared everything but Yogg and Vezax. This includes my guild (working on Yogg now). In other words, about one out of six guilds has seen almost all of Uld's encounters. A guild that has cleared everything and is getting attempts on the final boss will be more than ready for 3.2.

- 28% of guilds have cleared The Siege of Ulduar, and The Antechamber of Ulduar. Meaning nearly one third of guilds have cleared half of the raid.

- (The most telling stat) - 80-120 guilds are downing Yogg for the first time, every single weeknight. 84 guilds killed him for the first time yesterday alone.

If anything, I think the progression from 3.1 to 3.2 is the best-timed patch Blizz has released. When 3.2 drops, I estimate that ~20% of guilds will have killed Yogg, and that 40% of all guilds will have seen half of the Uld encounters.

Angry Grimace

GDJustin said:
Those who think 3.2 is dropping too fast, I think you're mistaken. Consider this -

- 3.2 isn't dropping today. It's probably at least 6-8 weeks away from going live, meaning we'll see it at the end of August

- 8% of guilds have dead'd Yoggy. That's not a huge number, but it's no slouch either, in terms of overall player base progression.

- Although only 8% have killed Yogg, over double that many, 16%, have cleared everything but Yogg and Vezax. This includes my guild (working on Yogg now). In other words, about one out of six guilds has seen almost all of Uld's encounters. A guild that has cleared everything and is getting attempts on the final boss will be more than ready for 3.2.

- 28% of guilds have cleared The Siege of Ulduar, and The Antechamber of Ulduar. Meaning nearly one third of guilds have cleared half of the raid.

- (The most telling stat) - 80-120 guilds are downing Yogg for the first time, every single weeknight. 84 guilds killed him for the first time yesterday alone.

If anything, I think the progression from 3.1 to 3.2 is the best-timed patch Blizz has released. When 3.2 drops, I estimate that ~20% of guilds will have killed Yogg, and that 40% of all guilds will have seen half of the Uld encounters.
I don't have an issue with the timing of new content per se (Blizzard probably wants to get some of the summer vacation crowd in), but I have a problem with the level of gear that's showing up, because the entire 14 boss Ulduar complex gets trivialized by it.

Edit: The premade DK's dont' have any 1H weapons. Sigh. The reason I used a premade is cause my guy on Live didn't have any :lol

I have a feeling my guild will implode in a few weeks if we don't down Yogg

Already lost 2 rogues, a crazy mage and a decent priest

But they all did pretty annoying things except for the mage

I'm the only rogue raider again

Scum

Just a silly question...Do any of you lads even visit Heroic dungeons anymore? It must be something to wonder around, say, Utgarde Keep, with Ulduar gear. In and out in about 15mins! :lol

BigJonsson said:
I have a feeling my guild will implode in a few weeks if we don't down Yogg

Already lost 2 rogues, a crazy mage and a decent priest

But they all did pretty annoying things except for the mage

I'm the only rogue raider again
How crazy a Mage was he/she? High DPS crazy or just plain ol' crazy? I'm surprise people will leave when you're that far into Ulduar...

mikeGFG

Banned
I always get a good chuckle when someone discusses well timed, and/or well tuned boss fight progression.

Basically, Blizzard has perfected the art of trial-and-error.

etiolate

Banned
my guild downed yogg but i haven't been raiding as much and am still naxx geared and way behind on dps

My main problem is hardware, the summer heat kills my laptop and my desktop has jittery frames and locks up once in awhile. I am losing around 2 seconds and as a caster, that really throws off rotation and dps.

For comparison, I was hitting 4k as Ele back in Naxx25 with weaker gear. Now I am struggling in the 3ks in Uldy with much better gear.

Scum said:
Just a silly question...Do any of you lads even visit Heroic dungeons anymore? It must be something to wonder around, say, Utgarde Keep, with Ulduar gear. In and out in about 15mins! :lol

How crazy a Mage was he/she? High DPS crazy or just plain ol' crazy? I'm surprise people will leave when you're that far into Ulduar...

Crazy as in crazy high DPS, always had to be careful not to pull threat

And I guess the raid leader snapped at this priest for going AFK and saying dumb shit all the time and this other rogue was always saying how high he was during raids and started bitching at someone for running after them as he tried to vanish to not die after a wipe haha

All 4 of the quitters were good but I mean there is only so much headache you can take

Scum

BigJonsson said:
Crazy as in crazy high DPS, always had to be careful not to pull threat

And I guess the raid leader snapped at this priest for going AFK and saying dumb shit all the time and this other rogue was always saying how high he was during raids and started bitching at someone for running after them as he tried to vanish to not die after a wipe haha

All 4 of the quitters were good but I mean there is only so much headache you can take
AFK in a raid?? Bloody hell!

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
For 3.2 I'm gonna guess... Mid September.
3.1 was a lot bigger in terms of changes and dungeons and didn't take 3+ months on the PTR. Remember that Blizzard does have to consider that students will be heading back to school in Early September.

Alex

3.2 is bigger for sure from what I've seen.

Ulduar is a much larger scope of dungeon than the Arena will be, but there's also a 5 man and a BG to go with it. The peripheral changes to things like BGs, Professions, EXP, UI overhauls, Mounts, art, and more daily hubs probably bests 3.1 too.

I'll sissy out though, and say best case: 6 weeks, worst case: 10 weeks. I just like randomly guessing this stuff.

firex

I don't think they'll take too long on the PTR this time. seems like the BG is what really needs testing, and not the raid.

Puck

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Remember that Blizzard does have to consider that students will be heading back to school in Early September.
And that Blizzard will have announced their annual expansion pack coming out next year. This will kill a lot of players motivations to play, much like Sunwell and WOTLK.

firex

So, anybody have the new stats on the tailoring embroideries? I'm really thinking about dropping it and skinning for herb/alchemy on my mage, because I don't have an alchemist, I actually really like 3.2's alchemy buffs, and tailoring sucks for gear for the most part. I just don't know if I'd regret it or not.

Angry Grimace

firex said:
So, anybody have the new stats on the tailoring embroideries? I'm really thinking about dropping it and skinning for herb/alchemy on my mage, because I don't have an alchemist, I actually really like 3.2's alchemy buffs, and tailoring sucks for gear for the most part. I just don't know if I'd regret it or not.
Dropping anything you have 400 in is a very bad idea. The difference in the perks isn't worth switching professions on ANY profession right now. Even if you just save it for the next expansion.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
3.2 is bigger for sure from what I've seen.

Ulduar is a much larger scope of dungeon than the Arena will be, but there's also a 5 man and a BG to go with it. The peripheral changes to things like BGs, Professions, EXP, UI overhauls, Mounts, art, and more daily hubs probably bests 3.1 too.

I'll sissy out though, and say best case: 6 weeks, worst case: 10 weeks. I just like randomly guessing this stuff.
The 5 man is just a room from what I can tell.

firex

Angry Grimace said:
Dropping anything you have 400 in is a very bad idea. The difference in the perks isn't worth switching professions on ANY profession right now. Even if you just save it for the next expansion.
I'm not even at 300 tailoring on my mage, so it's really just about taking time to grind herb/alch up to 300+ each.

Angry Grimace

I just noticed a funny trend on the PTR:

The Glyph vendors are all named after Lost Characters lol

Death Knight Glyphs: an Orc named Lok
Priest: Charlotte Mader (Charlotte being played by Rebecca Mader)
Warlock: Claire Littlesun (Sun + Claire Littleton)
Druid: Austeen (Kate Austen)
Warrior: David Hume (Desmond David Hume)
Mage: Linus Galespin (Ben Linus + Henry Gale)
Paladin: Harold Dawson (Michael Dawson played by Harold Perrineau)
Shaman: Libby Waterwheel (took me a bit to even find the shaman one lol)

Angry Grimace said:
The perks aren't, but if you actually want a different profession then something might push you over the edge. For instance I'm prolly dropping mining on my lock for Alchemy. I've wanted an alch for a while, and the new flask makes it worth it.

Angry Grimace said:

I switched max engineering to JC, best decision I ever made lol

firex

Son of Godzilla said:
The perks aren't, but if you actually want a different profession then something might push you over the edge. For instance I'm prolly dropping mining on my lock for Alchemy. I've wanted an alch for a while, and the new flask makes it worth it.
Yeah, I'm basically wanting an alch and thinking infinite flask + potion + transmutes and easy elixirs > tailoring that I hate leveling up.

Plus, I have an abandoned warlock with 350ish tailoring on another server I could transfer back if I ever want to spend the money.

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
No 1000gold progress bar, clearly a temp achievement. ;)

Angry Grimace said:
I just noticed a funny trend on the PTR:

The Glyph vendors are all named after Lost Characters lol

Death Knight Glyphs: an Orc named Lok
Priest: Charlotte Mader (Charlotte being played by Rebecca Mader)
Warlock: Claire Littlesun (Sun + Claire Littleton)
Druid: Austeen (Kate Austen)
Warrior: David Hume (Desmond David Hume)
Mage: Linus Galespin (Ben Linus + Henry Gale)
Paladin: Harold Dawson (Michael Dawson played by Harold Perrineau)
Shaman: Libby Waterwheel (took me a bit to even find the shaman one lol)
They were originally named like that on the WoTLK Beta Server.

etiolate

Banned
I have a Belkin laptop cooling pad that I use and it still crashes. It's 100 degrees out here and my room has a big window that lets in a lot of the heat.

For example, I just switched to my PC to do Emalon and had it rather cooled down in my room. Managed to do 4.4k dps in naxx gear and beat the other Shamans, but after porting back to Dalaran my pc locked up again.

Lain

Blizzard has become really lazy when it comes to new weapon and armor models.
Watching those new weapon models on MMOchampion depressed me. 1 or 2 models per weapon with so many recolors.
Yeah, Alliance and Horde have different models, and there are PvP ones as well... but I still think it is lazy to have 1 or 2 models with so many recolors instead of more unique designs.

Quake1028

Finally cleared the EoH last night I needed and got my shoulders and trinket for my Druid. Damn these things run slow :lol . What profs should I pickup on him? I have mining/skinning on my Mage, so I'm thinking herbalism/alchemy maybe? I want something for the second profession that is benefitial to my characters, not too time consuming or cost prohibitive to level, and I think I've got the gathering profs covered.

On my Mage, we finished up Naxx 10 last night. It was a good run, I think we only wiped on 2 bosses, and we 1 shotted KT finally, even though our MT was dead for most of the fight. We 1 shotted 10 VoA also. We seem to have a nasty habit of getting PVP gear for classes that we don't have in the run. A guildie friend and I did the fires in EK achievement, we got about 250G or so from that and ganked some Alliance. We are going to do Kalimdor tonight, that should net us another 225G or so. After tonight when some auctions clear I will only be about 300G away from Artisan Flying. Can't freaking wait.

Alex

I dont recall the last Mimiron nerfs being particularity interesting. Just rocket speed, mine glitches and spinning up glitches.

Did they do something else that I missed?

fire is 40% of what it used to be. rapid burst is halved(time, not damage)

emergency bots still silence, hp was reduced 3.3% for all phases, so around 10% overall

That looks like a fairly accurate description. There are only 43 guilds in the world who have killed heroic Firefighter (well, until last night) close to 2 1/2 months after the release of Ulduar. It's not surprising that it got nerfed. I expect Freya 3G to take a hit too.

fight that actually requires competent healers = nerf pls

Oh, fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom