• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

So, Yogg+0 was killed.
I'm pretty surprised it wasn't Ensidia to do it and that it was a US guild (no offense US guys, it just seems like EU usually do them world first most of the time nowadays).
Mimiron's head sure looks cool.

Well, to be fair there really wasn't an incentive for anyone to do so (also there's the part where it's fucking hard), so I'm suprised it got killed as soon as it did. Now that it's confirmed that the mount drops from him 100% (most likely) per +0 kill, and isn't not a 1% or whatever drop, I bet we'll see more kills soonish.

Alex

The armor is fucking hideous. What the hell has happened with their armor design lately, the damn leveling greens were better looking than most of T8 and early T9

Milpool

Really digging the new druid models/skins, especially the black and white ones. They need to do the same with travel form, or make it change based on whichever zone you're in, cheetah running through winterspring has always looked a bit funny.

TomServo

Alex said:
The armor is fucking hideous. What the hell has happened with their armor design lately, the damn leveling greens were better looking than most of T8 and early T9

They're churning out tier sets like crazy now. Quantity over quality.

Moving your toon from T7 (the old T3 designs) over to T8 really slaps you in the face at how piss poor most of the armor design is. As a warlock, Plagueheart was so much more detailed and ornate than boring ass Deathbringer.

Alex said:
Classic was a total wreck for content, and for most things in general, it's some of the most unfounded nostalgia ever

Yup. Even the non-raiding part of it was a disaster. With no heroic mode for dungeons, if you didn't want to raid it was Strat / Scholo / DM / BRS and that's it. Tank and spank boss fights with trash pulls that required sap / sheep on every single pull. Horrible itemization with zero path into 40 man raids - yeah, you need FR to get into a 40 man raid guild, and dungeon loot had next to nothing. Go farm random greens "of Fire Resistance".

TomServo

Weenerz said:
T8 actually looks pretty good.

No.

EDIT: The only people in my guild that really like their T8 gear are the rogues with their weird head piece and animated shoulders. Going back to Deathbringer? The textures on the green Frostwoven set have more detail.

Hunter T8 rocks ass. Well, the helmet does and makes up for the shoulders being ugly as hell.

I only wish my tusks went through the little vents that the helmet has.

Yup. Even the non-raiding part of it was a disaster. With no heroic mode for dungeons, if you didn't want to raid it was Strat / Scholo / DM / BRS and that's it. Tank and spank boss fights with trash pulls that required sap / sheep on every single pull. Horrible itemization with zero path into 40 man raids - yeah, you need FR to get into a 40 man raid guild, and dungeon loot had next to nothing. Go farm random greens "of Fire Resistance".

Yes and no. UBRS was *amazing*, and Scholo/Strat/BRD were far better settings than anything that's come since. BRD still amazes me to this day. But once they killed instance raids and nerfed/bug-fixed them all they became really quite forgettable.

It's hard for me to judge the raid content, because I liked it quite a bit while going through. Zul'Gurub still stands out as the best they've ever done imo, and who didn't love BWL? Seriously, who? That 2nd drake was probably excessive, I can't even remember what it's stupid gimmick was. But other than that, it was great shit and was probably the only raid to ever do trash right. AQ sucked for the most part, and I have no opinion on Naxx as AQ sucked so hard it made me cancel.

firex

BWL sucked outside of Chromaggus. I think that was the only really good fight. Nef was an interesting fight until class calls, which was just them finding their best way to fuck over people. Vael is just a stupid dps burn, Razorgore is beyond retarded, and the drakes were a waste of time.

Paladin T8 (with the helm graphic turned off) is decent looking. It beats the hell out of recolored T3 which is probably the dumbest looking gear I've ever seen. Warlock t8 looks cool if you're undead and have the full set as you get to be a Putress clone. Otherwise it's really bad.

Opinions, opinions. I thought the first and last LOS drakes were interesting enough, and Vael and whoever the fuck is at the start were very cool fights. Broodlord was kinda meh, but neat at the same time. Chromaggus I'd actually place below uh... everything? Dreadtalon or whatever the fuck the last dragon's name is was cool too. Well, outside some of the more retarded yells. (Like hunters, I did that fight recently in wotlk and it still does it and it is still fucking retarded).

firex

The drakes are really nothing but "tank them in this spot and everyone else LOS, and make sure you are in full fire resist gear" except for the self healing one. That one was all about stacking healing debuffs. Chromaggus actually changed each week, so there were differences with the fight, which I liked.

Nefarian is a really boring fight until he does class calls, and then it's a boring and annoying fight. It's seriously just tanking doors in phase 1, then he lands and you kill off what's left and dps him through class calls and phase 3 is the same as phase 2, but with a bunch of extra undead adds. What I can't believe is Blizzard expected people to farm strath holy water for p3 Nef.

I actually completely forgot about Broodlord, but I guess that just shows how crappy the suppression room and the actual boss fight were. Broodlord is a total tank and spank fight, with the only exception being you can't taunt him. The problem with Razorgore is p1 is built around a really retarded item based MC mechanic, and it tends to fuck up a lot. Then p2 is nothing but tank and spank. Razorgore is fun to watch or fun to dps, but terrible to tank. I mainly don't like Vael because the entire encounter is built around at least 1/5 of your raid dying, and the randomness of the debuff is horrible if it hits melee.

yacobod

Banned
Alex said:

they are using the same artists who designed the ugly AQ tier 2.5 armor sets

this new raid instance will be a bastard child like AQ before icecrown, it reeks of half ass

TomServo

Son of Godzilla said:
Yes and no. UBRS was *amazing*, and Scholo/Strat/BRD were far better settings than anything that's come since. BRD still amazes me to this day. But once they killed instance raids and nerfed/bug-fixed them all they became really quite forgettable.

UBRS was amazing? Maybe the first half, where there's a few trash pulls between bosses (again, all of which are tank and spank). Then there was an absolutely stupid amount of trash from The Beast to Drakk. Drakk himself was reduced to a tank and spank as long as someone knew how to kite him.

BRD was so long that no one ever finished it, and the loot was so god-awful that no one bothered to start. I remember greens dropping from bosses halfway through the instance, and in old BRD halfwway through was a couple of hours in.

TheExodu5

Banned
I just did UBRS yesterday for the lame Jenkins achievement.

The dungeon design is really nice, and offers more of a sense of exploration than newer dungeons. The encounters however, are all incredibly lame. From what I could tell, they're all tank and spank as some posters are reporting.

Anyways, I finished the Midsummer festival achievements yesterday. I got the flame tabard, and bought a Turbostrider for my gnome. :D

flame_warden_back.jpg

flame_warden_front.jpg

:D

TomServo

TheExodu5 said:
I just did UBRS yesterday for the lame Jenkins achievement.

The dungeon design is really nice, and offers more of a sense of exploration than newer dungeons. The encounters however, are all incredibly lame. From what I could tell, they're all tank and spank as some posters are reporting.

The pacing from Beast to Drakk was what killed it. You had probably probably a dozen trash packs between them, almost all identical. Sap and sheep, when the rogue gets loose burn him down before she instagibs a clothie.

The people that go back into the vanilla dungeons at 70 or 80 and talk about how great they are need to try going through them with five 60's in quest blues and greens and no talents above the orignial 31 pointers. They simply took too damn long and most of the time was spent clearing trash. Heaven help you if you wiped on Rivendare or Gandling and had to deal with respawns. At that point it typically respawned faster than you could clear it and you were better off resetting the entire instance.

Dire Maul was really the only level 60 instance in Vanilla that was worth a damn. Tribute runs never got old.

TomServo said:
UBRS was amazing? Maybe the first half, where there's a few trash pulls between bosses (again, all of which are tank and spank). Then there was an absolutely stupid amount of trash from The Beast to Drakk. Drakk himself was reduced to a tank and spank as long as someone knew how to kite him.

Those trash packs to Drakk (There were only like 5, and 2 pats) were like the only time in the fucking game I got to play with freezing trap, I liked them a whole lot. Of course this was back before it got nerfed to be like any other stupid cc but twice as... stupid. I liked ubrs all in all, maybe that's because I wasn't a tank, but eh.

Also BRD is the best designed instance in the game, loot be damned. I spent so many hours in that place farming dark iron with a rogue back when locks needed it for their quest, it's just a genuinely impressive fucking place. You certainly don't get the same feeling it offers from Utgarde Keep or whatever the fuck.

TomServo

UBRS had more trash than that between Beast and Drakk. There were at least three left in the room outside of The Beast after a typical kill, there was anohter on each end of the bridge, three more in Drakk's room, and the pats.

Yeah, BRD is impressive to look at, I'll give you that. That whole area was freaking epic - BRD, BRS, MC, and BWL all right on one giant room. It's too bad the instance itself was a total fucking bore. Sap / sheep, burn trash, tank and spank boss.

At least on a tribute run you had some variety in how you handled encounters, and even off-tanking Cho'Rush through the entire fight with Gordok was novel compared to how the other instance bosses went.

Xabora

yacobod said:
they are using the same artists who designed the ugly AQ tier 2.5 armor sets

this new raid instance will be a bastard child like AQ before icecrown, it reeks of half ass

argent_alliance_deathknight.jpg

argent_alliance_paladin.jpg

argent_alliance_warrior.jpg

254zdrd.jpg

Oh I also received an infraction over at EJ because I said thanks in a thread. :lol
EDIT: I got banned for 24hours by saying thanks in a topic. :lol :lol :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Druid Tier 8 set was sexy.

The rest of em were a little boring though. The problem of course being that few druids are in Caster form.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Xabora said:
Oh I also received an infraction over at EJ because I said thanks in a thread. :lol
Well, what does EJ stand for? :lol

If the only word in your post was thanks, yeah, sounds like that would be against their terms of service.

edit: Yeah, forum rule #6.

Do not post unless you have something new and worthwhile to say. Do not bump, quote for truth, cross-post, or post only to say thanks. We don't want to hear your funny story about something that happened in your raid last night, your baseless speculation is unproductive, and your idea for a new ability really isn't that interesting. If you have an idea you'd like to share with the community, support it with analysis, testing, or both that indicates you've put some thought into it.

Angry Grimace

cubicle47b said:
If the only word in your post was thanks, yeah, sounds like that would be against their terms of service.
I think they run a filter for indecipherable math in deciding what posts are ban worthy :lol

Shoulda added something like:

(29.38 * 0.48) + (x * y/3)/7.42239 - 2.4 x 177.2) = DPS (on test dummy w/Merciless combat)

Also, I ran ulduar 10 last night for the first time. Made a total ass of myself and gave DK's a horrible name, i.e. got a question in Vent when fighting Razorscale: "Why do you keep dying, do you have Frost Presence on?" You can guess what the answer was. Despite being not only dead, but RELEASING in the midst of my attempt to clear my Bejeweled addon so I could watch the fight, I qualified for loot, which I couldn't use. Would have liked a Razorscale Talon, since I have no 1H weapons and our Rogue didn't show up for that raid.

That Ignis fight seemed crazy, we won but I'm not sure how or why. All I did was violently unload on Ignis. Normally I watch instructional videos beforehand, but I only got in at the last minute cause my dad was having surgery and I was planning to visit him (he ended up not being awake until late at night so I had time to raid :lol

Angry Grimace said:
Useful site, but it certainly doesn't mean that it's not mostly filled with angry nerds.

It's tightly moderated, that's all. And it's generally a good thing compared to the cess pool that is the official WoW forums. Go ahead and hate, though. I know it's the norm for you.

I hope they don't really go back to the S4/Sunwell style of having all armor classes use the same models with different textures. That's so fucking lame. And here I was hoping for unique sets for everyone including different sets for Horde and Alliance. How does that crap they're showing represent all the different Paladin, Warrior, and DK heroes they're named after from both factions anyway?

Angry Grimace

cubicle47b said:
It's tightly moderated, that's all. And it's generally a good thing compared to the cess pool that is the official WoW forums. Go ahead and hate, though. I know it's the norm for you.
:lol

Xabora

Oni Link 666 said:
I hope they don't really go back to the S4/Sunwell style of having all armor classes use the same models with different textures. That's so fucking lame. And here I was hoping for unique sets for everyone including different sets for Horde and Alliance. How does that crap they're showing represent all the different Paladin, Warrior, and DK heroes they're named after from both factions anyway?
Armor Set M2 Filenames specifiy unique models for both Horde and Alliance.
But expect all Horde Plate to look alike and all Alliance Plate to look alike.

All in all, about 8 total unique armor set models. (4 for alliance, 4 for horde)
Now this is 2 less than if Blizzard had taken the time to make unique armor sets for all classes but cross-faction.

Angry Grimace

cubicle47b said:
Sorry, you just come off as a self-hating nerd.
:lol

The point was that a banning was not necessary because it's not in the spirit of the rules to ban someone for that. Lots of things in life are "against the rules" technically.

That said, you seem desperate to start this argument but I'm not gonna get baited especially given we're already had the EJ is Awesome vs. EJ are dorks argument like 50 times in this four year old thread. I like the site and what they do, I just think that's unreasonably strict standard for a site about video gaming. That's all I'm going to say to you on the topic.

Chris R

firex said:
14% spell hit, or 370 hit rating.
That is the cap for Enhancement shaman with all the +hit talents included? I too just hit 80, and while I want to eventually go resto, I figure I was closer to heroic geared in my enhancement set, so I'm gearing that first. Also, how the fuck does expertise play in? Assuming I'm behind the mob, just doing heroics, and have all the +hit talents enhancement shaman get.

As much as I'd love to use axes on my Orc, I'm currently MH: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41383 and OH: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45203 I know not ideal speeds, but huge upgrades over the blue and green I was using from BT, even if I only enchant them with 50 ap for the time being :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Can't see what you're using at work rhfb...but you might want to check out CoS for Greed. Greed and Pride seem to be a nice enhancement shammy combo.

Chris R

TheExodu5 said:
Can't see what you're using at work rhfb...but you might want to check out CoS for Greed. Greed and Pride seem to be a nice enhancement shammy combo.
I want to get Greed at some point, using the Titansteel Bonecrusher atm, but like I said, I needed something to replace the weapons I got at level 69 :lol Other than that I have just two epics (valor bracers, and wg belt) and the rest blues from quests, don't know if I'm even geared enough for heroics yet :lol

rhfb said:
That is the cap for Enhancement shaman with all the +hit talents included? I too just hit 80, and while I want to eventually go resto, I figure I was closer to heroic geared in my enhancement set, so I'm gearing that first. Also, how the fuck does expertise play in? Assuming I'm behind the mob, just doing heroics, and have all the +hit talents enhancement shaman get.

As much as I'd love to use axes on my Orc, I'm currently MH: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41383 and OH: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45203 I know not ideal speeds, but huge upgrades over the blue and green I was using from BT, even if I only enchant them with 50 ap for the time being :lol

I'd love to be rocking those. I currently have two quest reward items from Borean Tundra >.>

Alex

EJ is great, I wish there were more forums out there moderated like it, then maybe the internet would be half readable again.

TheExodu5

Banned
rhfb said:
I want to get Greed at some point, using the Titansteel Bonecrusher atm, but like I said, I needed something to replace the weapons I got at level 69 :lol Other than that I have just two epics (valor bracers, and wg belt) and the rest blues from quests, don't know if I'm even geared enough for heroics yet :lol

Since you're DPS, you should be fine for heroics. Really, anything over 1000 dps is fine, and you're bringing enhancement utility to the instance on top of that. Also, since there are very few mail users in instances, people will like bringing you along, since you won't be stealing all of the cloth/leather gear.

The only character that has to be decently geared for heroics is the tank. The rest should be able to do the more basic heroics (Utgarde Keep, The Nexus, Violet Hold) with quest greens and blues just fine.

firex

rhfb said:

You need spell hit that high because a decent % of enhance damage is from shocks and lightning bolt. As far as expertise goes, you need I think 263 expertise rating, or whatever amounts to 26 expertise (6.5% reduced chance for your target to dodge). The reason you don't go for 17% spell hit isn't just because of that debuff in 25 man raids, but also because dear god that is too much hit to have to gear for really. I still don't think the 6% hit from dual wield specialization applies to anything but melee, but that means your offhand basically never misses, ever, when you're spell hit capped. Also honestly those weapons are fine until you get some raid drops. Greed/pride is a combo most shamans get from heroics, until they can get some naxx gear.

Personally I've just given up trying to find people running level 78 instances and not heroics on my shaman, so I will either buy my way to enough gear for easy heroic healing, or grind gold and level alts until next patch and do the 5 man for upgrades until people realize I can do heroics easily.

TheExodu5

Banned
Also, if you pick up the Ebon Blade tabard, I think you can get a decent lvl 78 or 80 Shaman weapon (offhand I think) for getting Honored.

yacobod

Banned
Xabora said:
I know, but it turns out I got banned too for 24 hours by saying it. XD
Goonfleet and EJ don't work the same. Go figure. :|

the mods on the EJ forums are like nazi's

ppl get banned for the smallest things there

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't know much about shamans, but you can probably get some great upgrades from craftable epics in the AH, not the 4000g ones of course, but those below 1k can last you for a while. I geared my tanking warrior with 3 epics from the AH and that kinda helped alot. Not to mention you can probably get an epic weapon from Argent Tournament which take like a week to get the required seals.

Do dailies or grind rep in instances with the tabards from Argent Crusade/Ebon Blade/Wyrmrest/Kirin Tor too for good blue items too. There is some decent ones at honored and the great ones at revered, and some epics at exalted. Not to mention that if you want helm enchants, you will need revered with Ebon Blade for more attack power/crit. Whatever factions have the good gear for enhancement shamans, again i don't know alot about shamans. :lol

Also, get honored with Sons of holdir at least for shoulder enchants. The chain to get the dailies for rep starts in Storm Peaks from some goblin in K3.

TheExodu5

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Since we have some knowledgeable shammy players in here I might as well post this. Is my gear good enough for heroics? I was able to pull 1400 dps in CoS which I know is pretty rubbish, but my gear is awful as well. I just don't see any other way to gear up since no one runs regular level 80 instances

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Tuffghost

I honestly know nothing about Shammys, and I can't check the Armory link at work. All I know is you're completely fine at 1400dps.

Usually, the upper tier of Heroic DPS is maybe around 2000-2300. The average is closer to 1200-1400dps.

Also, take Bisnic's advice about the factions. Get their tabard before you start running instances, since you'll get rep for that faction. Check which faction has the proper head enchant for enhancement shammies...they'll probably have an epic chest waiting for you at exalted (which is probably almost equivalent to Tier 7).

firex

I think that amount of hit is enough for the heroic spell cap, but I can't remember if it's 6% or a little higher. The good thing about shamans is once you are spell hit capped, you're definitely melee hit capped.

At least there are some good dps weapons you can rep grind for, including sons of hodir's axes.

Chris R

See thats the thing I'm getting so confused about, melee hit, spell hit, and expertise :lol Also, only going for 5 man heroics at the moment, no 10 or 25 raids just yet, so the hit required should be much lower. I'm at like 180ish right now hit wise, so I think that is enough.

I like how on my mage I just need to have 369 hit, nothing else to worry about :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom