• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake1028

So, I need some advice. Currently I have my tier shoulders equipped.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Smolderthorn&n=Lateran

I won these in Naxx 25 yesterday, but I am unsure if I should use them instead of my tier gear:

http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=39719

I know haste is more important to Arcane Mages than crit, but is it worth losing my tier bonus, all the crit my tier piece has on it to gain 10 SP (assuming I stick a ++9 SP +8 haste gem in the new ones) and gaining 5 measly haste? Not to mention I lose some of my mana pool, but I do gain some spirit. I'm thinking the tier piece is better, but I dunno.

Chris R

Gloomfire said:

I won these in Naxx 25 yesterday, but I am unsure if I should use them instead of my tier gear:

I know haste is more important to Arcane Mages than crit, but is it worth losing my tier bonus, all the crit my tier piece has on it to gain 10 SP (assuming I stick a ++9 SP +8 haste gem in the new ones) and gaining 5 measly haste? Not to mention I lose some of my mana pool, but I do gain some spirit. I'm thinking the tier piece is better, but I dunno.
Deep fire mage here, but I just UPGRADED from the Locust shoulders to my 7.5 piece. The 4/5 piece bonus is so nice due to my high crit rate.

Gloomfire said:

Definitely stick with tier 7.5 shoulders, those look more like healer shoulders to me anyway.

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
If they add a new class, they should take away Death Knight.

Making our way through Ulduar, I can't help but wonder what the hell happened to Tyr.

Did he decide to run off somewhere?
Cut for Yoggy.

Xabora

Decided to try WoW Addon Studio for my new project.
(Should be easier than working with Notepad/Wordpad)

33f3z8m.jpg

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Angry Grimace said:
If they add a new class, they should take away Death Knight.

Making our way through Ulduar, I can't help but wonder what the hell happened to Tyr.

Did he decide to run off somewhere?

Who?

Quake1028

Was a pretty good weekend overall. I got my Tier 7.5 Pants and Shroud of Luminosity from 25 Man Naxx. Cleared VoA25 again and also OS25 for the first time (what a faceroll that place is, on both modes with no drakes up). We did more Uld 10 last night, clearing FL, Razor and XT-002. We tried Ignis this time instead of Kologarn and failed, miserably. We got him down to about 50% at our best, but I don't think we have the strat right as far as the constructs and stuff. We were kind of winging it, with only a vague idea of what to do, since we weren't planning on even trying him. Plus the fact that our OT still dies on every damn boss fight. Anyway, I at least got the Eye of the Broodmother from Razor, so that was nice.

idlewild_

Gloomfire said:
Was a pretty good weekend overall. I got my Tier 7.5 Pants and Shroud of Luminosity from 25 Man Naxx. Cleared VoA25 again and also OS25 for the first time (what a faceroll that place is, on both modes with no drakes up). We did more Uld 10 last night, clearing FL, Razor and XT-002. We tried Ignis this time instead of Kologarn and failed, miserably. We got him down to about 50% at our best, but I don't think we have the strat right as far as the constructs and stuff. We were kind of winging it, with only a vague idea of what to do, since we weren't planning on even trying him. Plus the fact that our OT still dies on every damn boss fight. Anyway, I at least got the Eye of the Broodmother from Razor, so that was nice.

you can just tank him at the edge of the water (tank in water to get rid of the heat aoe thing). have the OT grab constructs as they spawn and have your dps go all out on boss, don't bother w/constructs past the incidental aoe.

that blade-maste tri-weilding thing sounds pretty sweet, hope they really add that in game...

my paladin acct got hacked yesterday, they attached a battle.net acct to it. its silly that all you need to merge an acct is someone's id and password. at least an email confirmation to the registered email address or asking for answer to secret question should be required. soooooo pissed off right now -_-

Flib

If that blade master class is real (doubtful), then they just completely stole the mechanics behind the new Warden class in lord of the rings online.

When I read that thing about triple wielding I though of Zoro from One Piece. He holds one sword in his mouth. That's real triple wielding. That blade master just sounds like he switches weapons.

Flib

I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing...the Warden is one of the most fun classes to play in any rpg, though it takes a lot of memorization. The class wears medium armor, but depending on the ability branches you take when you engage an enemy, you can effectively tank or dps.

firex

he does tri-wield. one foot grips the 2h. That means tauren and spacegoats can't be blademasters, gnomes are too small, and elves/humans are too sissy, leaving orcs, trolls and dwarves as the only races strong enough to tri-wield.

firex said:
he does tri-wield. one foot grips the 2h. That means tauren and spacegoats can't be blademasters, gnomes are too small, and elves/humans are too sissy, leaving orcs, trolls and dwarves as the only races strong enough to tri-wield.

Tauren and Dranai could Tri Wield with there tails, duh.

TheExodu5

Banned
Gloomfire said:

I've only done Uld 10 once, but Ignis seems to be mostly on the OT and healers.

In exclusively ilvl 200 gear (and only one tier 7 piece), I had the top DPS on Ignis with 3.3k DPS, and our tank only had 27k hp (no pallies or priests in our party), and we downed him after 3 tries. The problem was always the OT not getting the adds molten or w/e fast enough, or the healers failing to heal people in the pot.

I need to get to EoE at some point...I won the neck-piece quest item in Naxx 10 last week.

Flib said:
I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing...the Warden is one of the most fun classes to play in any rpg, though it takes a lot of memorization. The class wears medium armor, but depending on the ability branches you take when you engage an enemy, you can effectively tank or dps.

I just started to play LOTRO and I'm a Warden. :D

It was okay until just recently, when I got my new awesome skills at 10-14 (ambush skills, stealth). Friggin' awesome class.

mount_lake.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's some kind of trick to Ignis for sure. We beat him comfortably with only two healers, and they didn't even really tell me what I was supposed to be doing. All I did was DPS the boss and when bright colors appeared on the ground, walk in the other direction.

Tyr is the fifth Keeper that isn't actually in Ulduar. You do a series of quests in Storm Peaks to find them, and you go to the temples of Life, Winter, Invention and Order to see if the keepers are there (At the time, Thorim is still actually in the Temple of Storms). The databot that catalogs what's going on mentions that Keeper "Tyr" of Order is gone without a struggle.

TheExodu5

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
There's some kind of trick to Ignis for sure. We beat him comfortably with only two healers, and they didn't even really tell me what I was supposed to be doing. All I did was DPS the boss and when bright colors appeared on the ground, walk in the other direction.

From what I understand, it's all the adds. Each add that is alive during the fight adds to the bosse's damage (like 20% per add or something like that). Two or three adds, and healers won't be able to keep up.

firex

AceBandage said:
Tauren and Dranai could Tri Wield with there tails, duh.
really though, all those "disqualified" races don't deserve any more cool classes. maybe gnomes do, but there's too many people of the other races running around as is. well, maybe not undead, but still. I'd rather Blizzard has racial restrictions on their next hero classes just so people who decide to main that hero class would be cutting down on the abundance of elves (both kinds) and humans around.

Angry Grimace said:

Here's how it goes for 10 man:

1 MT
1 OT
2 Healers (3 if your healers suck)
Rest DPS

Have MT tank Ignis, kiting him around when he casts scorch so that the raid isn't standing in it.
Have OT tank adds, making them stand in the scorch until they turn orange (molten).
They will drop agro at that point so the OT has to pick them up again.
OT then drags them to the water, making them brittle for a few seconds.
Very quickly, a caster (probably a warlock or mage) needs to cast a spell that does 5K damage instantly, which will make it explode (make sure the OT is away from it, because the explosion will cause like 20K damage).
Rinse and repeat.

firex said:
really though, all those "disqualified" races don't deserve any more cool classes. maybe gnomes do, but there's too many people of the other races running around as is. well, maybe not undead, but still. I'd rather Blizzard has racial restrictions on their next hero classes just so people who decide to main that hero class would be cutting down on the abundance of elves (both kinds) and humans around.

What they need to do is go back to the original idea for hero classes which was each class/race combo made a different hero, and you would have a whole separate talent tree for it. The way they are doing it now isn't hero classes, they are just new classes.

Flib

You just have to get a rythmn going with Ignis, making sure you immediately pull the adds into the flames to get them molten, then move them to the water as quickly as possible to make them brittle. You then need a class that can do on-demand large crits to take it out, as you can only break the golems with a single crit over 5k. I'd recommend something like a warlock's conflag.

The fight is actually really easy, it's just sort of long and requires you to stay in a groove with no deviation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Our shamans just stood on the ledge near the water and seemed to not get hit by anything. *shrug*

TheExodu5

Banned
It'd be awesome if they made some sort of Gnome-exclusive Tinkerer class. I guess it might mesh too much with the Engineering profession, but it'd be cool to have a class that relied solely on Turrets, Rocket Launchers, and the like to do damage. Though, maybe that would end up being too close to a Shaman.

Epix

We just tank Ignis on the edge of the pool so the fire never spawns. The OT picks up the constucts while we zerg him before Ignis's buff gets out of control.

firex

AceBandage said:
What they need to do is go back to the original idea for hero classes which was each class/race combo made a different hero, and you would have a whole separate talent tree for it. The way they are doing it now isn't hero classes, they are just new classes.
I think that would work if it was an extensive quest chain and gave you free talent points for the hero talents so you don't have to spend your leveling talents on them. I can see why they didn't do it, because it's like 100 or so different race/class combos and a balance nightmare. I would honestly be just as fine with a race-exclusive hero class that is essentially a new class, but that race only and starts at a higher level like DKs do. That's also a huge balancing act, though, at least if you want to make each hero class feel unique.

Flib

I really don't see them doing two hero classes in one expansion, it's already been a nightmare balancing one new class, though dk's have worked out pretty well in my opinion (I know many people won't agree with that). Either way, it's an incredibly fun class to play and really well designed, probably too well compared to some other classes.

I also can't see them doing a non-healer hero class, as that's the only gap that needs filling. Though there is still sort of a tank gap because 95% of dk's just want to dps, but then 95% of dk's are atrocious at the game.

Alex

I dont want Blademasters and Archdruids and shit, I want a damn Monk! I also would like to see at least two this go around. The Death Knight scenario was extremely stupid. One new class in four years is not a good idea.

The homogenization in LK kills my interest in new classes, though. And I have doubts that they could pull off an aesthetically interesting Monk with their artists and and armor designs.

"Here is our Monk armor, take note as it has fifty foot tall shoulders with flaming skulls on it!" No, but to be serious, I want a martial artist, and they'd probably deliver a 75% Holy 25% physical take.

Back to armor, I've never really wanted a graphics overhaul for WoW, but I would like to see character models beefed up and armor models redone so its actually armor instead of shoulders, helmet and paint.

Theres nothing wrong with the environment designs, LK has gorgeous environments. Raid interior's are too sparse, and bosses have too many wanton pyrotechnics though.

Flib

I wouldn't say Ulduar's interior is too sparse...Crusader's Coliseum/naxx/eoe/os, yes.

Monk (melee healer) would definitely be cool.

firex said:

Gnomes could build a third hand robot and attach it to their hips!

Angry Grimace

OK, I just started healing heroics on my lolpriest which just hit 80.

I pretty much flailed my way through H Nexus and H UK. My heals themselves weren't the problem; it was that I really need either to implement mouseover macros or Healbot or something. I almost killed us like 5 times becuase I would lose my target/etc. and start wondering why my heal wouldn't go off.

Any healers got some addon suggestions?

Macattk15

Flib said:
If that blade master class is real (doubtful), then they just completely stole the mechanics behind the new Warden class in lord of the rings online.

The mechanics from the Warden class were stolen from the mechanics of the Black Orcs in Warhammer ... and whatever their Dwarven counterpart is also I believe ...

Angry Grimace said:
OK, I just started healing heroics on my lolpriest which just hit 80.

I pretty much flailed my way through H Nexus and H UK. My heals themselves weren't the problem; it was that I really need either to implement mouseover macros or Healbot or something. I almost killed us like 5 times becuase I would lose my target/etc. and start wondering why my heal wouldn't go off.

Any healers got some addon suggestions?

I personally use Healbot. Keeps everyone in your party/raid onscreen at all times, and you can map all your heals to mouse buttons.
Another good addon is PowerAuras, which give you a good idea when certain buffs are up and such.

TheExodu5

Banned
Power Auras is the best combat add-on I've used.

I use it as a Rogue to display my timers for Deadly Poison, Slice n' Dice, and Rupture. With that, I can ensure my timers are always up, and I can also use my abilities at the very last second, to avoid overlap and ensure the highest efficiency possible. I tend to outdo most of the terrible rogues out there, and I credit much of that to this (and Archud).

Alex

While I love raiding, I have very much disdain for the raiding "scene", but this Ensidia/Exodus temper tantrum is pretty great.

The nationalism over MMORPG bosses, however, is not, and it really reminds you just how lame so many people still are about shit like that.

Flib

Macattk15 said:
The mechanics from the Warden class were stolen from the mechanics of the Black Orcs in Warhammer ... and whatever their Dwarven counterpart is also I believe ...

I've leveled both a Black Orc and a Warden, and they're pretty different classes, though some basic mechanics are similar. Mines of Moria came out like 3 weeks after Warhammer, so I don't know if you can call that stealing.

In line with the addon recommendations from above, I'm just finishing leveling a dk tank to help fill a hole in my guild's roster after two of our tanks left, and I was wondering if anyone had any addon suggestions? I've tanked some of the WotLK instances, and while I'm new to tanking I do sometimes feel like I don't have all the information I need in front of me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Flib said:
In line with the addon recommendations from above, I'm just finishing leveling a dk tank to help fill a hole in my guild's roster after two of our tanks left, and I was wondering if anyone had any addon suggestions? I've tanked some of the WotLK instances, and while I'm new to tanking I do sometimes feel like I don't have all the information I need in front of me.

Power Auras is your friend.

I don't know all that much about tanking, keep in mind. With power auras, you can display tons of information on screen about skills, buffs, debuffs, and cooldowns.

As the example I gave above, I display the timers remaining on my Deadly Poison, Slice n' Dice, and Rupture so I never have to scan through my enemy's debuffs and my buffs to find the information I need...it's all right in front of me.

For my Warlock, I also make it show "Shadow" text in the middle of the screen when my Shadow Trance procs, to ensure I never miss the opportunity to use it. My buddy indicates his procs for his mage, as well as the availability of his cooldowns and trinkets.

IMO it's the most crucial add-on for any player that wants to get the most efficiency in battle. Never miss a cooldown, never miss a proc, update your debuffs at the very last second possible (very helpful for my rogue).

One thing I'd assume would be very useful for tanking, would be additional threat information. I'm not sure what add-on provides this (maybe Omen does already), but it would be nice to have a threat bar uner the floating enemy health bars. I would want it to display the difference in your threat compared to the second highest threat in the group so you know which enemies you need to focus your threat on.

edit: forgot to post this when I snapped it a few weeks back. Neat little glitch when you ride an engineering flyer with the costume during the Hodir quest chain.

copter1.jpg

copter2.jpg

Flib

Thanks, I've always thought of trying Power Auras but never have. Currently I'm just using X-Perl/Bartender for my ui, then Omen and Quartz. Omen's great, but it works better when you're trying to avoid getting aggro imo. I hate haveing to glance over at the list when I need to be focusing on positioning.

TheExodu5

Banned
Flib said:
Thanks, I've always thought of trying Power Auras but never have. Currently I'm just using X-Perl/Bartender for my ui, then Omen and Quartz. Omen's great, but it works better when you're trying to avoid getting aggro imo. I hate haveing to glance over at the list when I need to be focusing on positioning.

Yep. The key to being efficient with any class in raids IMO is being able to focus your eyes in the center of the screen (the combat) the majority of the time. Otherwise, you sacrifice far too much situational awareness.

firex

I use Clique both as a healer and as a tank. Use it to hotkey dispels, taunts or other situational but not critical to an ability rotation stuff so you can pop it when you need it, and that saves you on some much-needed hotkey space. I also recommend Grid for giving you targets in raids and easy warnings if they are out of range. And naturally, you want Omen so you have an idea who might come close to stealing aggro.

Retro

Alex said:
I dont want Blademasters and Archdruids and shit, I want a damn Monk!

I poke at a monk character concept when I get interested in WoW enough to theorize about how fun it could be, but not interested enough to play it. :lol

My concept is basically a healing rogue; a lightly armored fast-paced melee class that heals as a side effect of DPS while having an impressive toolkit to deal with more focused healing. Their talent trees allow them to focus on Healing, Support, or DPS, but all three trees use tools that produce healing.

Here's the Write up I have for it (forgive the gaps at later levels, haven't finished):
http://home.comcast.net/~retrogames/Class62909.pdf

And here's a talent tree I am developing for it (again, not anywhere near final):
http://www.war-tools.com/t61092.html

And what the hell, here's a screenshot... lulz:lol
muxy8i.jpg

And a few highlights:

1. My Monk uses mana as an energy source, but has a rune /combo-like system in the form of Furies, which is a type of specialized DoT. There are three types; Cinder, Stone, and Heaven, with various abilities placing a stack of the DoT on a given target. However, these DoTs only stack up to three times. Attempting to place a fourth stack 'overloads' the DoT and causes a new special effect; Cinder Fury causes an explosion and adds a DoT to all nearby enemies, Stone Fury is a 5 sec. stun and Heaven Fury is a bursts heal to all nearby allies.

2. Monk itemization is a breeze; they are built to use caster daggers, maces and staves, DPS daggers, maces, and fists, can use healing cloth and rogue or druid leather for DPS / Healing. They even subtly slip into shaman and hunter mail with a talent. No more "Well, we need 2h Tanking weapons now" issues.

3. Their healing is actually interesting (in my opinion). They have two baseline heals (a player-centered AoE and a short-cast low-heal spell (think Flash of Light), but have abilities that redirect damage to the monk, who can then self-heal it away with a special ability called Meditation and use melee-ranged Life Tap to make up the difference.

Well, that's enough, go read the PDF, you might like it. Anybody interested in sharing ideas can PM me.

Lain

Alex said:
While I love raiding, I have very much disdain for the raiding "scene", but this Ensidia/Exodus temper tantrum is pretty great.

What happened? Some people got pissed off because it wasn't Ensidia killing Yogg+0?

Flib

People are complaining that Exodus used an exploit to beat it (involving DI'ing and soulstoning a pally in the brain room, which bugs out the defenders).

Alex

Lain said:
What happened? Some people got pissed off because it wasn't Ensidia killing Yogg+0?

It's turned into a pretty big thing, well, in terms of how much whining it's spawned at least. Lots of exploit accusations being thrown around.

Exodus totally went silent on it, the only communication I've seen them drop was from two barely sentient dipshits, ex-raiders I think, going off on wacky tangent.

Anyone who has spent enough time raiding knows what I mean. Everyone has that one guy who only posts inappropriate shit, doesn't raid anymore, but won't go away, ultimately just popping in enough to make your forums and recruitment threads awkward.

Still, Ensidia's hounding and mini meltdowns are pretty wonderful, especially considering their history with exploits it comes across in such a hilariously butt-hurt fashion.

Then you have the bottom feeding official board posters, who have somehow turned this into US vs EU, while the rest of us sane human beings can only watch in awe.

Personally, I do not care if they exploited or not, I just find the whole debacle very fun to read, I've raided my entire time playing WoW, all I really do is a set amount of end game each week, but I've always purposefully kept myself out of the loop. I could not for the life of me have told you who the best guilds were or any notable raiders in them before this nonsense began.

Well, outside of Ensidia at least, whom I had heard about so far down the grapevine that to my knowledge they were grotesque super mutants living in grass huts and playing WoW while hooked up to IV's all day. Also they were sponsored by the government and at least one of them was a race car driver in his spare time.

Anyhow, it's got me reading the R&D forum at work for laughs for the first time since BWL opened. So its certainly curious enough.

firex

Retro said:
I poke at a monk character concept when I get interested in WoW enough to theorize about how fun it could be, but not interested enough to play it. :lol

My concept is basically a healing rogue; a lightly armored fast-paced melee class that heals as a side effect of DPS while having an impressive toolkit to deal with more focused healing. Their talent trees allow them to focus on Healing, Support, or DPS, but all three trees use tools that produce healing.

Here's the Write up I have for it (forgive the gaps at later levels, haven't finished):
http://home.comcast.net/~retrogames/Class62909.pdf

And here's a talent tree I am developing for it (again, not anywhere near final):
http://www.war-tools.com/t61092.html

And a few highlights:

1. My Monk uses mana as an energy source, but has a rune /combo-like system in the form of Furies, which is a type of specialized DoT. There are three types; Cinder, Stone, and Heaven, with various abilities placing a stack of the DoT on a given target. However, these DoTs only stack up to three times. Attempting to place a fourth stack 'overloads' the DoT and causes a new special effect; Cinder Fury causes an explosion and adds a DoT to all nearby enemies, Stone Fury is a 5 sec. stun and Heaven Fury is a bursts heal to all nearby allies.

2. Monk itemization is a breeze; they are built to use caster daggers, maces and staves, DPS daggers, maces, and fists, can use healing cloth and rogue or druid leather for DPS / Healing. They even subtly slip into shaman and hunter mail with a talent. No more "Well, we need 2h Tanking weapons now" issues.

3. Their healing is actually interesting (in my opinion). They have two baseline heals (a player-centered AoE and a short-cast low-heal spell (think Flash of Light), but have abilities that redirect damage to the monk, who can then self-heal it away with a special ability called Meditation and use melee-ranged Life Tap to make up the difference.

Well, that's enough, go read the PDF, you might like it. Anybody interested in sharing ideas can PM me.
I would be against giving them mail armor just because if you keep them with cloth and leather, then you have competition on druid items, similar to how paladins/shamans compete for the same healer mail a lot of the time. I looked at the talent build and see that you only get like 3 slots of mail armor, and that's what makes it even weirder. The way armor proficiencies work, you basically gain an armor proficiency and unlock the ability to wear it in any slot. I mean, it's a good idea on paper but it's a pain in the ass to implement in game, and kind of makes me look at it and say "so what?" compared to a lot of other 1 point talents. Obviously all this stuff is WIP but I think it's actually a pretty fun class with a decent core mechanic around it to make it different, without requiring an all-new power source.

Alex

Monks need cloth. Just give them a lot of body and soul (not the Priest talent!) type buffs and talents for defenses.

Although, I will say my opinion on armor real quick again: Bosses shouldnt be dropping physical pieces of armor anyway, if they really wanted to make it easier on everyone and themselves, bosses would drop essences like tokens that a number of classes could just bind to a piece of armor.

And although its irrelevant, it makes more sense fantasy wise even to take essence from a boss and graft it to man-made armor than to drop a random assortment of someones wardrobe :p

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm totally against any mainspec rolling on a lower armor class that you can use. It's completely unfair that a healing Pally might get to roll on cloth, leather, mail, and plate, while the lower classes only get to roll on one armor type. This is especially the case since there's way too much spell power plate even as it is.

Alex

TheExodu5 said:
I'm totally against any mainspec rolling on a lower armor class that you can use. It's completely unfair that a healing Pally might get to roll on cloth, leather, mail, and plate, while the lower classes only get to roll on one armor type. This is especially the case since there's way too much spell power plate even as it is.

Below native users of the armor class, above offspecs, in my opinion. It's the common sense way to play it, and usually how it goes down.

Flib

It's ridiculous with Pallys since their gear has the highest droprate in the game. Bigger issue is when it comes to druid rolling on cloth.

cdyhybrid

So I haven't played since a few weeks after WotLK launch, and want to get back into the game mostly for PvP and casual instancing (either PUGs or a guild that raids only once or twice a week).

Another forum I frequent has suggested that I go Feral Druid with a healing offspec, but DKs also seem quite interesting. I've never played a healer or tank, and I mainly just want to kill stuff (including other players), but I think I could learn decently. What would you guys suggest I roll?

Also, if anyone knows a well-populated Pacific time zone PvP server with competent BGs/PUGs (a lot to ask, I know), I'm still looking for a server :D Thanks, this thread has been very useful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom