• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake1028

Or hell, maybe I don't understand what they are going for :lol . But I took it more as you will change factions and chance to a race within that faction.

VaLiancY said:
Seriously, I want at least 10 slots if they keep adding pets. I already got Loque, I skipped that Ghost Saber cat but this one looks like a good one to get so I can stunt in Orgrimmar. :lol

I got Loque'nahak, Rak'shiri, Gondria, and King Krush. The only pet I have that isn't a rare spawn is my Gorilla. I guess I'll have to let him go if I want that wolf.

I'm liking the sound of the JC transmutations. I have a bunch of gems and eternals stashed away in the bank. :D And the Engineering stuff sounds cool. I guess. The only thing I would really use on my hunter is the cloak enchant since it is 1 more agility than the regular 22 agility enchant plus the parachute. At least they're getting it through their thick heads that people don't want to use gimmicky engineering stuff like parachutes instead of real enchants. Especially when you have to raid in that gear.

VaLiancY

Oni Link 666 said:
I got Loque'nahak, Rak'shiri, Gondria, and King Krush. The only pet I have that isn't a rare spawn is my Gorilla. I guess I'll have to let him go if I want that wolf.

I gave up on that gorilla, I found Loque from looking through the area for like four hours, I found him the second I was about to log off. I don't care how shitty that pet is, I will never abandon it.

VaLiancY

Looks like Exodus' world first for killing Yoggy was an exploit.

Yogg +0 World First Kill - Exodus Banned
A lot of people suspected there was something wrong with the kill of Yogg+0 by Exodus a few days ago. They were right and Exodus has been banned for exploiting a bug in this fight. Obviously, their kill has been removed from the Hall of Fame.

Offense: Abuse of Game Mechanics
Details: Circumvention of normal combat mechanics to defeat the Yogg-Saron encounter inside the Ulduar raid instance.

In our many attempts at trying to figure out a way to defeat Yogg zero watcher, we found a way to use bugged game mechanics to make phase 3 easier in zero watcher then one watcher.

The bug is when someone is left inside the brain room of Yogg-Saron, they can still get aggro on the adds that spawn in phase 3. That means if you have someone getting healing aggro in the brain room, they will get aggro on the adds, which cause them to evade in place and allows for all of your raids dps to be focused on Yogg.

We discovered this mechanic on a wipe, and decided to see if we could actually get it to work. The first attempt after that wipe, we realized it worked, and went with it and killed it on that attempt.

This bug has been hotfixed on all servers.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/

Oh wait, there's more from Exodus who got a three day ban and say Blizzard doesn't ban Nihilium or Ensidia.

The rumors are indeed true. We have been suspended for 72 hours for:

Offense: Abuse of Game Mechanics
Details: Circumvention of normal combat mechanics to defeat the Yogg-Saron encounter inside the Ulduar raid instance.

In our many attempts at trying to figure out a way to defeat Yogg zero watcher, we found a way to use bugged game mechanics to make phase 3 easier in zero watcher then one watcher.

The bug is when someone is left inside the brain room of Yogg-Saron, they can still get aggro on the adds that spawn in phase 3. That means if you have someone getting healing aggro in the brain room, they will get aggro on the adds, which cause them to evade in place and allows for all of your raids dps to be focused on Yogg.

We discovered this mechanic on a wipe, and decided to see if we could actually get it to work. The first attempt after that wipe, we realized it worked, and went with it and killed it on that attempt. We also filed a formal bug report on Blizzard's website.

Yes, it is 100% our fault for using a bug on such a significant boss fight, however I would say there are some absolute factors to go off of here that kind of forced us into it. We wouldn't have had to use this technique to kill this encounter if it was actually killable to begin with, so please, Blizzard, make your encounters killable in the future. Lets take a moment to think about the other encounter that was deemed not killable mathematically in Ulduar.. Oh yeah 2min Hodir, I remember a certain guild killing it in this state by using an exploit.. they were not banned, any reason why Blizzard?

First off I just want to say, if I was given the chance to erase history and do it again I would without question do it. These last 72+ hours watching Ensidia cry "Exploit!" and bitch non-stop have been absolutely hilarious. You guys are like a lot of other little european babies, who lack sportsmanship. Pretty sure when you guys exploited your way through this instance and past instances, my guild didn't cry non-stop until you were banned. Pot calling the kettle black?

What about when you guys exploited Freya trash to kill Hodir? Not only that, but then you proceeded to e-mail your Blizzard contacts and had it hoxfixed before anyone even knew that you exploited it in this manner. This allowed for you to focus on more fights with your new 239 ilvl items that you got from exploited a kill, while everyone else was holding their dicks because you exploited and got the exploit fixed the same day.

Blizzard if you are going to pick sides, make it a little less obvious...

Was Nihilum/Ensidia ever banned for using "Clever game mechanics" on.....

C'thun (Know anything about a disgusting Oozling Kungen?)
Lady Vashj.....Respawns?
Twins...No video from first kill Kungen? Sat on a torch?
Hodir....Flower power?
Mimiron...JoL stacking?

I didn't think so.

Lets just say that Ensidia stacks the cards in their favor every chance they can get, who knows what other exploits they have used, and if they were to have discovered this bug I'm sure they would have used it just as they used flower trash on Hodir.

Exodus

Exodus

Who got the popcorn? :lol

Quake1028

We talked about that last page. And I have to agree with some and :lol at Ensidia getting butthurt about it when some of their notable kills came from exploits.

It does look bad. It looks like Blizzard banned them because of Ensidia's crying. It's not like they didn't know already. Blizzard does look at what happens in these raids. Especially when it's the world's first kill of the hardest encounter in the game. How long did it take them to catch that guy with the kill everything shirt? He didn't even finish the instance.

Quake1028

After 14 freaking tries, I finally got Rod of the Fallen Monarch from H AN. It was my last blue ---> purple replacement. Hell, I got the Northrend Explorer ach today so even my tabard is purple :p.

Alex

Oni Link 666 said:
It does look bad. It looks like Blizzard banned them because of Ensidia's crying. It's not like they didn't know already. Blizzard does look at what happens in these raids. Especially when it's the world's first kill of the hardest encounter in the game. How long did it take them to catch that guy with the kill everything shirt? He didn't even finish the instance.

Ensidia's bipolar attitude towards it as a guild on the whole made the whole thing. Everything from complete indifference, to turning around and breaking their back to discredit it, to pretending like they're some innocent little flower who HASN'T exploited numerous bosses in the past.

And no, exploiting a boss then reporting it to burn the bridge behind you to block progression towards Algalon doesn't make it any better.

In the end, Exodus came off as a shady, sneaky pack of ashamed folk in general, complete douches really. BUT they still keep their title and the mount and the world first, and Ensidia gets a taste of their own medicine and a pretty solid soiling of their reputation.

At least that's how it all comes off to me. I'm not one to typically give a shit about anyone but my own guild.

carlos

So I finally tried WoW with one of those 10 day trials; I really enjoyed it, but I don't plan on subscribing (partially because of the addictiveness).

Anyway, I'm gonna end up with a lvl 20 alliance warrior, well over 1g in money and some equipment/stuff.

Is it possible to give this stuff away if someone wants it? (obviously none of you uber lvl 80's need it). Seems like a shame to let it rot if the account won't be used again...and I rather have someone get it than have the account hijacked while its not in use.

Btw, man has it ever been hard to join other people; I've done nearly 100 quests while going lone wolf, and it hasn't been easy in the slightest...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I know they probably wouldn't do it, but it would be awesome if we could stay a character of the faction you started as. I'd love to run around Org as a Dwarf.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
carlos said:
So I finally tried WoW with one of those 10 day trials; I really enjoyed it, but I don't plan on subscribing (partially because of the addictiveness).

Anyway, I'm gonna end up with a lvl 20 alliance warrior, well over 1g in money and some equipment/stuff.

Is it possible to give this stuff away if someone wants it? (obviously none of you uber lvl 80's need it). Seems like a shame to let it rot if the account won't be used again...and I rather have someone get it than have the account hijacked while its not in use.

Btw, man has it ever been hard to join other people; I've done nearly 100 quests while going lone wolf, and it hasn't been easy in the slightest...
You should learn a ranged weapon. I'm playing a rogue and being able to pull individual enemies to me with the knife throwing ability is a godsend.

Puck

Banned
My friend was tired of levelling and outsourced it to a PLing company. Blizzard banned his account for 72 hours because the leveller botted from 40-50 in just over a day, the ban expired yesterday and I checked his armory, he's at 55 already.
Damn those guys level fast.

Blizzard needs to be more consistent about punishing and change what they consider exploiting. An exploit should be when someone uses a *bug* to defeat content. A lot of things considered exploits haven't been bugs, though. The most obvious recent example is undermanning 25 man Flame Leviathan. Kiting along the diagonal of the room (on a fight where you're supposed to kite, no less) is not an exploit. It's a strategy. It's not the player's fault you failed at encounter design.

As for the whole Exodus / Ensidia drama, Exodus is not wrong that Ensidia gets special treatment. However, they're really dumb for comparing their Yogg+0 kill to Ensidia's Hodir kill.

1. They exploited an obvious bug, and one that completely trivializes phase 3 (makes phase 3 easier than Yogg+4), on their kill. Ensidia didn't use a bug to kill Hodir. They used spell-steal to grab a buff from a mob in Freya's room which is Blizzard's fault for leaving it spell steal-able (and after the Naxx military quarter "exploit", how can they be that dumb?). It also didn't trivialize the encounter.

2. The race to kill Algalon. Ensidia wasn't the first to kill hard-mode Hodir. Two guilds had killed it the week before and Blizzard changed the encounter by lowering the time limit considerably (and to a point where it was basically unkillable). This put everyone who hadn't killed hard-mode Hodir already at a competitive disadvantage. What Blizzard should have done was let those first two guilds keep the loot but strip them of their completed Sigil quests so everyone would be on equal ground. Or not change it in the first place.

3. It's Yogg+0. You're seriously going to exploit the only undefeated encounter in the game and then act like it's legitimate?

It was still bad judgment on Ensidia's part because of what Blizzard considers exploits. They should have spent their time working on Firefighter instead (speaking of which, if they did use a JoL bug to kill, they should have gotten a 3 day ban for).

The video they put up is amusing, though. (I was wrong about phase 3 being easier than Yogg+4 too, it takes a few seconds for them to evade bug.)

TheExodu5

Banned
sykoex said:
You should learn a ranged weapon. I'm playing a rogue and being able to pull individual enemies to me with the knife throwing ability is a godsend.

Huh? The big advantage to the rogue is you can start off fights with a cheap shot or garrote. You're negating a lot of that by starting it off with a throw.

If you throw, you'll get what, maybe 10% of it's health off? And you'll start with no combo points. If you cheap shot, you'll do well over 10% of damage (I usually take mobs down to about 50% under same level cheap shot), and also have slice n' dice up as well as maybe 1 or 2 extra combo points.

Another tip for rogue: get Archud, or anything that readily displays your combo points near the center of the screen. Needing to look up to your enemy's health portrait to see your combo points (especially color coded ones that we colorblind have trouble seeing) is not too efficient.

VAIL said:
My Tauren Shaman is named "Cowess"

Funny thing...if you check Armory, there are a ton of Tauren Druids named Convertabull. On top of that, there's one level 80 Human Priest named Convertabull. :lol

Kyoufu

Damn, I had to re-install Vista today so I'm downloading the WoW client and boy is it going to take a while to finish :( Hope its done by the raid tonight because I really want a new weapon!

firex

Sounds awesome. and also like a great emblem farm if it's easy enough on heroic. I'm mostly interested in the Black Knight and the Confessor fights.

Quake1028

cubicle47b said:
Blizzard needs to be more consistent about punishing and change what they consider exploiting. An exploit should be when someone uses a *bug* to defeat content. A lot of things considered exploits haven't been bugs, though. The most obvious recent example is undermanning 25 man Flame Leviathan. Kiting along the diagonal of the room (on a fight where you're supposed to kite, no less) is not an exploit. It's a strategy. It's not the player's fault you failed at encounter design.

As for the whole Exodus / Ensidia drama, Exodus is not wrong that Ensidia gets special treatment. However, they're really dumb for comparing their Yogg+0 kill to Ensidia's Hodir kill.

1. They exploited an obvious bug, and one that completely trivializes phase 3 (makes phase 3 easier than Yogg+4), on their kill. Ensidia didn't use a bug to kill Hodir. They used spell-steal to grab a buff from a mob in Freya's room which is Blizzard's fault for leaving it spell steal-able (and after the Naxx military quarter "exploit", how can they be that dumb?). It also didn't trivialize the encounter.

2. The race to kill Algalon. Ensidia wasn't the first to kill hard-mode Hodir. Two guilds had killed it the week before and Blizzard changed the encounter by lowering the time limit considerably (and to a point where it was basically unkillable). This put everyone who hadn't killed hard-mode Hodir already at a competitive disadvantage. What Blizzard should have done was let those first two guilds keep the loot but strip them of their completed Sigil quests so everyone would be on equal ground. Or not change it in the first place.

3. It's Yogg+0. You're seriously going to exploit the only undefeated encounter in the game and then act like it's legitimate?

It was still bad judgment on Ensidia's part because of what Blizzard considers exploits. They should have spent their time working on Firefighter instead (speaking of which, if they did use a JoL bug to kill, they should have gotten a 3 day ban for).

I think most of the outrage against this stems from the fact that many (myself included) don't believe Ensidia would have gotten banned for this. It just would have been hotfixed before anyone else could do it. Mainly they are probably pissed at themselves for not figuring out the exploit first.

Fularu

Banned
Lol at butthurt Exodus...

Vashj wasn't an exploit (and Kungen said he did hit for 500k on a revenge, it wasn't done purposefully, and she respawned on top of them and made it clear).

Hodir wasn't an exploit but clever use of in-game mechanics, they didn't get the world first nor did they claim it. They told everyone how they did it and the following reset the timer got increased to 3 mins (from two minutes, no less).

Mimiron, you can see the two JoL twice, and only twice in the whole video, and the hunter is attacking all the time, they obviously didn't stack (for long).

Lol at going all the way back to C'thun, an unkillable boss that got killed by 5 guilds within the hour of the hotfix going live, no one cared at this point.

Comparing Evade bugging the Guardians to any of that is silly. They should be glad they didn't get perma banned the way Overated was.

Quake1028

TheExodu5 said:
Funny thing...if you check Armory, there are a ton of Tauren Druids named Convertabull. On top of that, there's one level 80 Human Priest named Convertabull. :lol

One of the people in my guild is named Convirtabull. Guess the other spelling was taken :p.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
TheExodu5 said:
Huh? The big advantage to the rogue is you can start off fights with a cheap shot or garrote. You're negating a lot of that by starting it off with a throw.

If you throw, you'll get what, maybe 10% of it's health off? And you'll start with no combo points. If you cheap shot, you'll do well over 10% of damage (I usually take mobs down to about 50% under same level cheap shot), and also have slice n' dice up as well as maybe 1 or 2 extra combo points.
I honestly don't even understand the point of Backstab, it's a crapload of work (turning on stealth, walking slowly to position yourself behind the enemy) just to get a slightly stronger attack and be right in the center of all the enemy's friends.

I'm level 13 and I got dual weilding swords as soon as I could and I basically play my rogue like a warrior that can stealth around whenever I want and pull individual enemies to me with throw. It's great.

Gloomfire said:
I think most of the outrage against this stems from the fact that many (myself included) don't believe Ensidia would have gotten banned for this. It just would have been hotfixed before anyone else could do it. Mainly they are probably pissed at themselves for not figuring out the exploit first.

Ensidia would have been banned for this. There really should be no doubt about that even before seeing the video (which is great, BTW). As for doing it themselves, this bug wasn't unknown to other top guilds.

TheExodu5

Banned
sykoex said:
I honestly don't even understand the point of Backstab, it's a crapload of work (turning on stealth, walking slowly to position yourself behind the enemy) just to get a slightly stronger attack and be right in the center of all the enemy's friends.

Well first off, you should be going combat spec if you're leveling. Get a slow mainhand for a strong Sinister Strike, and a fast offhand for poisons.

End game, you'll either be combat spec or mutilate for PvE, so you won't be making much use of backstab.

Also, if you want to stay dagger spec'ed, you really don't need to position yourself behind the enemy to use it. Just use distract to point the enemy away from you, and stab away.

edit: looks like you're wielding swords. That's perfect. What you want to do is spec into Combat, get all the skills that improve damage (including improved Slice n' Dice, very important).

In a fight, here how you want it to go down:

Stealth
Cheapshot for 4-second stun and 2 CPs (combo points).
(or Garrote if you have Glyph of Garrote for 1 CP, but this must be done from behind)
Slice and Dice immediately with those 2 CPs you got.
Sinister strike to 4-5 CPs
Eviscerate

You can use the eviscerate earlier if the mob is nearly dead.

You will find fights go much, much faster if you go this route.

Kyoufu

sykoex said:

I'm level 13 and I got dual weilding swords as soon as I could and I basically play my rogue like a warrior that can stealth around whenever I want and pull individual enemies to me with throw. It's great.

When you get Sap you can position yourself without fear of screwing it up, but yeah levelling rogue you can play it like a warrior.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kyoufu said:
When you get Sap you can position yourself without fear of screwing it up, but yeah levelling rogue you can play it like a warrior.

Not even. Just distract! It'll point all the enemies in the range of the distract to the location of the distract. Just point the mobs away from you and you have them open for a Garrote.

If you open with Cheap Shot instead, you don't even need to distract. Just spam the Cheap Shot button as you walk towards the enemy's face and you'll get it off before they can unstealth you.

I would always go the Cheap Shot route, because of it's simplicity. On top of that, those 4 seconds of stun means you'll take very little damage. You can also use those 3-4 combo points you get while they're stunned to use a Kidney Shot and stun them for another 4 seconds. You should be able to get through most fights with hardly taking a lick of damage.

Still, the most important thing as a Rogue is to ALWAYS keep Slice and Dice up. It's the biggest contributor to your damage.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
cubicle47b said:
Ensidia would have been banned for this. There really should be no doubt about that even before seeing the video (which is great, BTW). As for doing it themselves, this bug wasn't unknown to other top guilds.

Indeed. I think the line is drawn at exploiting a bug and exploiting a game mechanic. I.E. Making mobs evade isn't an ability like spell stealing.

eoy said:
My personal take on the matter is that if Blizzard thought that spellstealing the flower buff and using it on hodir (very similar to the mindcontrol + firebuff almost everyone used in Molten Core) was an exploit, we would've been punished just the same. I still believe that the Hodir kill we did is the hardest one done to this date, since you not only had to kill Hodir, you had to keep spellstealing the adds in a rotation with the mages, have an extra tank keeping aggro on the flowers, and keep high dps on the big flower as well for it to regain spellstealable buffs. Then add the whole aggro issue and pingponging and it's possibly the 2nd hardest fight I've done in Ulduar - something we did with less than half a second left on the timer. I'm not trying to glorify it, we did use a solution that wasn't intended in the first place, but in my (and blizzards) eyes we didn't exploit.

I found this description of Ensidia's first Hodir hard-mode kill interesting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fularu said:
Lol at butthurt Exodus...

Vashj wasn't an exploit (and Kungen said he did hit for 500k on a revenge, it wasn't done purposefully, and she respawned on top of them and made it clear).

Hodir wasn't an exploit but clever use of in-game mechanics, they didn't get the world first nor did they claim it. They told everyone how they did it and the following reset the timer got increased to 3 mins (from two minutes, no less).

Mimiron, you can see the two JoL twice, and only twice in the whole video, and the hunter is attacking all the time, they obviously didn't stack (for long).

Lol at going all the way back to C'thun, an unkillable boss that got killed by 5 guilds within the hour of the hotfix going live, no one cared at this point.

Comparing Evade bugging the Guardians to any of that is silly. They should be glad they didn't get perma banned the way Overated was.
It's the difference between getting 100 lives in Mario Bros. by jumping on the Koopa Troopa that walks down the steps up to the flagpole in World 4 and using a Game Genie to do the same thing. One is cheating, and one's just clever. It becomes cheating when you're causing the game itself to encounter an actual error. The issue here is that the Evade mechanic is put in when there's a pathing error and therefore it's pretty obvious why they got banned.

My problem is that the way that guild went about it was all a bit disingenuous. If they had come out and said, "we evade bugged it because the encounter is impossible otherwise" they would have gotten positive attention for bringing up the fact that the encounter is grossly overtuned. Trying to pass it off as legit is nonsense, and then trying to play off the ban with attitude about some other guild not getting banned is even stupider.

As for whether Ensidia would have been banned for that, you bet your ass they would have, but I would like to imagine that most guilds would be smarter than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom