• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomServo

So if you're an honest to goodness tank, your health meter isn't doing an impression of a crazy ass yo-yo the way mine is when I range tank as a warlock?

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
TomServo said:
So if you're an honest to goodness tank, your health meter isn't doing an impression of a crazy ass yo-yo the way mine is when I range tank as a warlock?
Depends on the fight.

btw, i generally find tanking a lot easier than dps on my druid.

firex

TomServo said:
No, your health fluctuates a lot, but it's hard for me to be worried about it because tanks have tons of survivability tools now. I mean I play the least survivability-equipped tank in the game (pally) and I still don't feel like I'm really in danger unless I have like 5k hp and healers are oom and LOH is on cooldown.

Flib

http://www.wow.com/2009/07/01/blizzard-files-trademark-for-cataclysm/

wow.com said:
Is "Cataclysm" the name of Blizzard's next-gen MMO? This Tumblr blogger has uncovered trademark applications filed by Blizzard in the fields of computer games, paper-based products, and online entertainment services. Those trademarks are on the USPTO's website, and we can confirm that Rod A. Rigole has been employed by Blizzard as legal counsel previously, so these trademark applications, all filed late last week on June 26th, are all real.

Of course, that doesn't confirm that we're actually talking about the next-gen MMO, or that Blizzard is planning on releasing a game called "Cataclysm" at all (StarCraft: Ghost was also trademarked, and we all know what came out of that). It could be another WoW expansion (though you'd think that WoW would be in there somewhere if that was the case), or it could be a completely separate game. Not that we know of one, but Blizzard certainly is working on all kinds of projects that we haven't yet heard about officially.

So. "Cataclysm." Trademark Blizzard Entertainment. Keep an eye out for it at BlizzCon this year.

Thanks, Ryan!

Update: We noticed the domain wowcataclysm.com expired on June 26th, 2009. The domain was previously held by what appears to be a domain squatter out in Australia. June 26th is the same day the trademark was filed with the US Patent & Trademark Office. The domain is also now held by GoDaddy, who we know handles Blizzard domains. That's just a little too much coincidence for us to stay quiet about. It's entirely possible Blizzard just acquired the domain name.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The part of healing I really like is party healing. Tank healing is kind of an annoying pain, although for some reason, I'm having trouble convincing a priest in my guild that Holy is better used on raid healing rather than tank healing. We were on Auriaya, and the tank kept taking spike damage on the pull and I was like, just use your Disc spec and use Pain Suppression + PW:S, and he's like "I can't keep a tank up in Disc." But Disc is more of a tank healing spec than Holy, it has 2x as strong, spammable PW:S, Penance and Improved Flash Heal, plus Grace and a boatload of other single target talents.

Chris R

I seriously can't decide between dk/war/druid for my tank :( Got both plate an leather heirloom shoulders just don't know if I can stomach 30 more levels in regular Azeroth on the war or druid :( was thinking Druid because it could heal if I got sick of tanking :/

Epix

Anyone here have a Earthshaper off of Yogg yet? I recently joined an EPGP guild and I'm already at the top of the list for 2h DPSers. I think I'm going to forgo any minor upgrades and be ready for when this bad boy drops.

Worldcarver drops off Ignis. And yes, we've gotten about 6 of them. Our Fury Warrior has 2 and we don't even like him (loot council guild).

offtopic

Epix said:
Anyone here have a Worldcarver off of Yogg yet? I recently joined an EPGP guild and I'm already at the top of the list for 2h DPSers. I think I'm going to forgo any minor upgrades and be ready for when this bad boy drops.
Worldcarver drops off Ignis. Or are you talking about Earthshaper?

Save for Earthshaper, don't for worldcarver...think thats what dks in my guild do.

Epix

cubicle47b said:
Worldcarver drops off Ignis. And yes, we've gotten about 6 of them. Our Fury Warrior has 2 and we don't even like him (loot council guild).
Fixed, meant Earthshaper.

Our guild is about halfway through Phase 2. He should go down this week.

offtopic

Epix said:

Consistently halfway through or thats your best? Basically make sure you can get through p2 within 3 portal phases or its really rough.

Xabora

Epix said:
Anyone here have a Earthshaper off of Yogg yet? I recently joined an EPGP guild and I'm already at the top of the list for 2h DPSers. I think I'm going to forgo any minor upgrades and be ready for when this bad boy drops.
I don't have it... and I do want it. :(

I haven't done one keeper YS but I think it's somewhere around Freya 3G in difficulty. This is based loosely on what other people have said and a bad memory, though.

Epix

offtopic said:
Consistently halfway through or thats your best? Basically make sure you can get through p2 within 3 portal phases or its really rough.
We get into P2 pretty consistently although our success there is mixed. Usually we can make it through a few portal phases but we're having trouble getting ALL the necessary personnel into the brain room so we can do the dps we need.

Cipherr

firex said:
Honestly the only difference between tanking and dps (at least with an actual tank class, and not gimmick raid fights where a mage or warlock has to range tank something for some retarded reason) is when you tank, you do less dps but you have some buff/stance up that makes it so all your dps abilities cause way more threat and everyone else's does less.

I dunno, now the last time I tanked was back just out of beta at release. But back then tanking was fucking hell. I remember sundering and tabbing and sundering like all FUCK to maintain aggro on multiple mobs, it was an absolute clusterfuck and I havent tried tanking since. From what I hear, everything from threat and threat transfer to threat generation has changed alot in the last 4.5 years, but if its anything like I remember it before the days of threat meters it was easily the most difficult role to play in the game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Puncture said:
I dunno, now the last time I tanked was back just out of beta at release. But back then tanking was fucking hell. I remember sundering and tabbing and sundering like all FUCK to maintain aggro on multiple mobs, it was an absolute clusterfuck and I havent tried tanking since. From what I hear, everything from threat and threat transfer to threat generation has changed alot in the last 4.5 years, but if its anything like I remember it before the days of threat meters it was easily the most difficult role to play in the game.
The amount of sheer threat you put out makes it really unlikely to "lose" aggro unless you happen have some kind of uber-DPS with you. I brought some mega DPS guildie of a buddy of mine to a heroic once, and it was annoying; he never considers grabbing aggro and just pumps out 4000 DPS, and dies and then gets mad that I didn't heal him, even though the one time I tried the tank died.

The thing is now, that everything has such high threat modifiers that it's difficult to lose aggro if you're using that. Any DK that's accidnetally left on Frost Presence knows the pain of pumping out 5000+ TPS. (I did that on Razorscale LAST WEEK :lol fail.)

Flib said:

"So ... What does it mean? Well, Wrath of the Lich King was trademarked a few weeks before the Blizzcon, we're not going to jump to conclusions here but WoWWiki will most likely give you a few things to think about on their Great Sundering article.

The Great Sundering, also known as simply the Sundering or the Cataclysm was a world event which reshaped Azeroth approximately 10,000 years ago at the end of the War of the Ancients. This event was triggered due to the Well of Eternity being destroyed.

Prior to the Sundering, there was only one continent on Azeroth, referred to as Kalimdor. In the catastrophic explosion, eighty percent of the land mass was destroyed leaving behind the major continents and scattered islands that are known today: Northrend, Kezan, the Eastern Kingdoms, and the remnant still referred to as Kalimdor.

The site of the Well of Eternity became a swirling vortex of power known as the Maelstrom.

A few days ago, one of our user also spotted a test server named "Maelstrom 3 Test" in the US server list (it only showed up for a few seconds, see This post). If the expansion is indeed The Maelstrom/Cataclysm, we can expect to see a few things here:

* Sargeras and/or Deathwing
* Azshara
* Goblins!"

from mmo-champion.

They might announce the next expansion!! isnt it a bit early though?

firex

Puncture said:
Back before 3.0, tanking was harder, but after 3.0, tanking is essentially dpsing with a bunch of defensive stats and a threat buff of some sort. It's actually pretty fun because it's like a dps race even if you aren't doing real dps. I mean it's almost literally like being a dps except you go all out, don't have to worry about your dps #s, and obviously you want to steal aggro. So it's pretty fun for the hardheaded bash things to death people like myself, although I also still like dpsing without tanking, too.

offtopic

Epix said:
We get into P2 pretty consistently although our success there is mixed. Usually we can make it through a few portal phases but we're having trouble getting ALL the necessary personnel into the brain room so we can do the dps we need.
Yarp...getting everyone in every time is the key: We assign specific people to specific portals. People are told to be at their portal 5 seconds before it pops. We have two backup people assigned...one north and one south. If someone can't make a portal they call it out and the backup takes it. Basically have to stun the brain within 20 seconds or so or more crushers are gonna spawn above and its gonna be a wipe.

So, goal is 3 portal phases, all 'adds' in portal dead within 20 seconds of entry. Wait till last second of the 3rd portal phase to finish off the brain (don't kill as fast as possible) so that ranged up top can finish off crushers and corrupters.

Angry Grimace

On PTRs a new feature called "Extended Raid Lockout" now exists. You can now (presumably indefinetely) extend the lockout period of any raid, so that bosses stay down and you can work on one for progression. Of course, the tradeoff is that raids still reset on tuesdays and you get no loot from the previous bosses for that lockout period if you opt to employ the extension.

Also, you can now trade BoP items to others that are eligible to loot the item for a 2 hour period. The purpose of this is to stop tickets about "accidental" need rolling or ML assigns loot to wrong guy, etc, greed rolls on Heroic Purples when a DEer is in group, etc.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Angry Grimace said:
On PTRs a new feature called "Extended Raid Lockout" now exists. You can now (presumably indefinetely) extend the lockout period of any raid, so that bosses stay down and you can work on one for progression. Of course, the tradeoff is that raids still reset on tuesdays and you get no loot from the previous bosses for that lockout period if you opt to employ the extension.

Also, you can now trade BoP items to others that are eligible to loot the item for a 2 hour period. The purpose of this is to stop tickets about "accidental" need rolling or ML assigns loot to wrong guy, etc, greed rolls on Heroic Purples when a DEer is in group, etc.
Hope there are alot of rules for the BOP trading.

Like thelockout idea

Tamanon

Banned
The main rules is that you can only trade them to someone that was with you when you killed the boss and any modifications/enchanting means it's bound. So you won't see people getting items they weren't there for.

Macattk15

Epix said:

Why not just get Aesir's Edge from 10 man hard mode XT?

Who is ridiculously easy ... and especially if your guild doesn't do DKP in 10 mans.

firex

damn, I wish there was an actual "heroic" testing dummy in addition to the ?? dummy. I get like 1300 dps on my shaman on the ?? dummy, and closer to 1600 on the 80 dummy, with my shaman (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Omgarsh) so I think I might be capable of doing heroics, even if I'd be lowest dps. once I get new weapons and some other upgrades I'd be better.

It's either that or heal, and my heal set is 1544 bonus healing, 252 mp5, 239 haste and I forget how much crit. so I guess I can run heroics now, but I don't really know.

Cipherr

firex said:
damn, I wish there was an actual "heroic" testing dummy in addition to the ?? dummy. I get like 1300 dps on my shaman on the ?? dummy, and closer to 1600 on the 80 dummy, with my shaman (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Omgarsh) so I think I might be capable of doing heroics, even if I'd be lowest dps. once I get new weapons and some other upgrades I'd be better.

It's either that or heal, and my heal set is 1544 bonus healing, 252 mp5, 239 haste and I forget how much crit. so I guess I can run heroics now, but I don't really know.

On my server the normal runs have died out. There just arent any normal UP CoT etc etc runs anymore to gear up in, people run straight into the heroics. I would go for it IMO. As long as you know your stuff, you'll be fine.

Chris R

I'm at about the same spot as you on my shaman, I just have nice weapons and shit gear everywhere else for the most part :lol I'll have to check my dps against the ??? and 80 dummy later tonight.

Got my shaman to 80 today. Took about 6 days in game, much faster than my other two 80's. Think I'm going to take a little time off. I'm pretty burnt out after playing for a good chunk of the past few weeks.

Still haven't decided if I want to go resto or elemental. Excluding enhancement because I'm not a big fan of melee dps. Resto does look pretty fun though.

Any one here have any preference one way or the other? Gots to do some research.

Chris R

Enhancement is quite a bit of fun, more so than I've ever had with ANY dps class. It isn't pure melee because quite a bit of your dps comes from spell damage.

I'll post my "pre-heroic" dps numbers in a sec :lol

80: 2100dps
???: 1575-1600dps

Just with totems, wolves and my racial, no bloodlust. So I guess I'm ready for heroics, just sucks I'm missing so much hit. Close to 40k honor points to get a nice piece of pvp gear (even though its pvp, it kicks the ass off my 14x iLvl gear :lol

firex

ILOVEASIANS said:
Got my shaman to 80 today. Took about 6 days in game, much faster than my other two 80's. Think I'm going to take a little time off. I'm pretty burnt out after playing for a good chunk of the past few weeks.

Still haven't decided if I want to go resto or elemental. Excluding enhancement because I'm not a big fan of melee dps. Resto does look pretty fun though.

Any one here have any preference one way or the other? Gots to do some research.
It depends which race you are for a shaman, but if you don't like enhance but want to dps, that pretty much leaves elemental as your only option. elemental's not bad, either, but you have to use a lot of cloth gear or hit rings/trinkets/neck pieces to get the hit rating you need, because there is no mail you can find with spell power and hit rating.

I think I might actually prefer enhance, although I kind of find the maelstrom weapon talent to be boring/frustrating as the dps rotation is pretty simple without it, and if you don't get 5 stacks before all your basic abilities are up, then you're going to be auto-attacking until you can use earth shock/lava lash/stormstrike again.

TomServo

Epix said:

Using EPGP for a while now, I'd recommend that you take upgrades as you get them, especially if your guild decays EP/GP. There's a good writeup about the system if you search on Google, and it's set up to discourage DKP-style hoarding.

I was holding onto my top spot for weeks in Naxx hoping for TTT. I learned my lesson, now I bid on anything that's an upgrade.

EDIT: Have to share this one. Last night I get ganked on my 70 priest my an 80 mage. I PW:S, hit him with horror, then fear him. I'm expecting to die now, but a frost mage allows himself to be kited into the huge pack of Horde NPCs in the Howling Fjord starting area. It didn't work out so well for him when they all came after him.

TheExodu5

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

Fantastic changes.

TheExodu5

Banned
Friggin guildie Rogue in my group last night rolls on an ilvl 219 offhand sword, when he already has an ilvl 232 mainhand dagger, and a Webbed Death offhand. What an idiot...he spent his points on gear worse than what he had and now I'm stuck with my crappy ilvl 213 offhand 1.8 speed. :( I hadn't noticed he had a far better offhand, and was already mutilate prior to the drop. =\

He refused to give it to me afterwards through a ticket, so screw him!

Good thing is, I'm still out dps-ing him with almost all ilvl 200 gear, while he's mostly Ulduar geared. I think I'll be replacing him as a main raider soon. :lol

Oh well...other than a few selfish people, and a few generally terrible players (especially our fully Tier 8.5 Warlock who can't do more than 2200dps), our guild is shaping up nicely. The 2nd top guild got assimilated by the top guild about 2 weeks back, and now the top guild on the server transfered, so we're near the top now. We actually got 3x 10 man Ulduars going last night, which was a first for us.

Macattk15

TheExodu5 said:
Friggin guildie Rogue in my group last night rolls on an ilvl 219 offhand sword, when he already has an ilvl 232 mainhand dagger, and a Webbed Death offhand. What an idiot...he spent his points on gear worse than what he had and now I'm stuck with my crappy ilvl 213 offhand 1.8 speed. :( I hadn't noticed he had a far better offhand, and was already mutilate prior to the drop. =\

He refused to give it to me afterwards through a ticket, so screw him!

Good thing is, I'm still out dps-ing him with almost all ilvl 200 gear, while he's mostly Ulduar geared. I think I'll be replacing him as a main raider soon. :lol

Oh well...other than a few selfish people, and a few generally terrible players (especially our fully Tier 8.5 Warlock who can't do more than 2200dps), our guild is shaping up nicely. The 2nd top guild got assimilated by the top guild about 2 weeks back, and now the top guild on the server transfered, so we're near the top now. We actually got 3x 10 man Ulduars going last night, which was a first for us.

What sword was it? Did he want to try combat swords or something? Or is it a fast sword that he can replace Webbed Death with?

TheExodu5

Banned
Macattk15 said:
What sword was it? Did he want to try combat swords or something? Or is it a fast sword that he can replace Webbed Death with?

I can't remember the name (at work and can't check), but it was the 1.5 speed ilvl 219 sword off Iron Council.

According to theorycraft (shadowpanther), his Webbed Death is quite a bit better than that offhand. And yes, he claimed he wanted to go back to combat, but all he has is an ilvl 200 mainhand, and even then, Webbed Death is the better Combat offhand.

Epix

TomServo said:
Using EPGP for a while now, I'd recommend that you take upgrades as you get them, especially if your guild decays EP/GP. There's a good writeup about the system if you search on Google, and it's set up to discourage DKP-style hoarding.

I was holding onto my top spot for weeks in Naxx hoping for TTT. I learned my lesson, now I bid on anything that's an upgrade.

EDIT: Have to share this one. Last night I get ganked on my 70 priest my an 80 mage. I PW:S, hit him with horror, then fear him. I'm expecting to die now, but a frost mage allows himself to be kited into the huge pack of Horde NPCs in the Howling Fjord starting area. It didn't work out so well for him when they all came after him.
I would but the thing is that I'm already the #1 dps in the guild, despite not wearing any Tier 8/8.5 gear and a Naxx weapon. I'm in no real NEED for marginal upgrades. I'd rather get the rare weapon and go back and start picking up smaller upgrades (especially after everyone already has them).

Macattk15

Epix said:
I would but the thing is that I'm already the #1 dps in the guild, despite not wearing any Tier 8/8.5 gear and a Naxx weapon. I'm in no real NEED for marginal upgrades. I'd rather get the rare weapon and go back and start picking up smaller upgrades (especially after everyone already has them).

Feral Druid or DK?

Macattk15

Epix said:
Ret Pally, rofl.

Oh. Well is the rest of your guild geared or pretty much the same level as you?

They suck or you're awesome ... probably a combo of both if you're #1 DPS without any tier 8 / 8.5.

Kudos to you, Divine Storm your heart out!

I still recommend trying to get Aesir's Edge from 10 man hard mode XT-002. ilevel 232 sword with 2 sockets and 1005 top end? Neat.

Even Rune Edge is nice ... ton of crit on that.

Epix

Macattk15 said:

They suck or you're awesome ... probably a combo of both if you're #1 DPS without any tier 8 / 8.5.

Kudos to you, Divine Storm your heart out!

I still recommend trying to get Aesir's Edge from 10 man hard mode XT-002. ilevel 232 sword with 2 sockets and 1005 top end? Neat.

Even Rune Edge is nice ... ton of crit on that.
They're all pretty well geared. I think we're somewhere around #13 Alliance guild on the server. We are making Yogg25 attempts after all. I'd love to roll on Aesir's Edge if given the opportunity.

TomServo

Macattk15 said:

We've got a ret pally that's been near the top of our meters since Naxx. On most fights in Ulduar the top five is mixed around between me (destro 'lock), mage, rogue, kitty, and that pally. We've got a new hunter that can get up there too.

We know some of the guys bringing up the rear of recount obviously aren't living up to their character's potential. When you see someone in the same spec with similar gear do 1000dps less you know it's them. That's why I just try to stay ahead of the other 'locks. The one that beats me from time to time has a totally different spec (demo) that's better suited to some fights.

TheExodu5

Banned
You should see the main Lock in our guild...it's hilarious. He has full T 8/8.5 (besides the shoulders), and the rest of his gear is pretty much all Ulduar. He does about 2.2-2.5k dps. :lol

My buddy watched him play the other day...apparently he'll chose one target, go through his rotation, and then just sit for a few seconds before choosing another target and doing his rotation again. He's not doting up all the mobs at all.

Epix said:
I'd love to roll on Aesir's Edge if given the opportunity.

I have Aesir's Edge on my DK, love it. You guys do 10man hardmodes? Some pretty sweet loot drops from 10man hardmodes, a few BiS. Hardmode XT isn't all that difficult, early in the instance and drops arguably the 2nd best 2hander.

Epix

Mr. Bunnies said:
I have Aesir's Edge on my DK, love it. You guys do 10man hardmodes? Some pretty sweet loot drops from 10man hardmodes, a few BiS. Hardmode XT isn't all that difficult, early in the instance and drops arguably the 2nd best 2hander.
I just started with these guys 2 weeks ago. We tried XT hard mode a few times last week, killed the heart easily but we didn't have the healer makeup to keep everyone alive after that.

TomServo

TheExodu5 said:
You should see the main Lock in our guild...it's hilarious. He has full T 8/8.5 (besides the shoulders), and the rest of his gear is pretty much all Ulduar. He does about 2.2-2.5k dps. :lol

My buddy watched him play the other day...apparently he'll chose one target, go through his rotation, and then just sit for a few seconds before choosing another target and doing his rotation again. He's not doting up all the mobs at all.

Wow. It's hard to tell what kind of dps you really do in Uldaur since most of the fights have gimmicks, but most of those gimmicks increase DPS. On something like Ignis I was doing 4500-5000. XT I was over 7000. I know that's not that great, but still.

There are a lot of people who don't understand the basic concept of a rotation, let alone graduate to priorities. I've run into multiple warlocks who spam Searing Pain at raid bosses, others who look like they're literally facerolling, and even one who admitted he hit random spells while waiting for Chaos Bolt to come off of cooldown.

firex

TheExodu5 said:

this makes me miss schooling the rogues and stuff in my old vanilla WoW guild in AQ40. doing top damage on Huhuran vs way more overpowered melee with superior gear = lulz. especially since the melee always shit talked in that old guild (honestly, that old guild was a pile of shit and not worth the hassle just to do raid content).

edit: wait, maybe not Huhuran. it was one of the melee centric bosses though, and our nature damage sponges on that fight were basically a couple hunters/1 shaman and a bunch of warriors.

TheExodu5

Banned
Heh.

I'm a rogue, but I'm cleaning it up with most of the melee DPS in my guild. Honestly, some people are doing such bad DPS considering their gear it makes you wonder.

Did 10 man Ulduar last night, and with my mostly ilvl 200 Rogue (with 2x 213 weapons), I pulled top DPS on XT with just over 5k. Was pretty sad indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom