• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Just level as fast as you can to 58. Once you get to 58 leveling to 80 shouldn't take long at all.

Stop doing instances in the old world and just grind quests (should be almost ready for Ungoro/Felwood and then move on to WPL/EPL/Winterspring/Silithus.

firex

the only time instances in the old world are good for xp is if you have rest, and honestly I'd rather burn through rest grinding quests because you'll gain more every time you turn in a bunch.

kai3345

Banned
firex said:
the only time instances in the old world are good for xp is if you have rest, and honestly I'd rather burn through rest grinding quests because you'll gain more every time you turn in a bunch.

I would do more quests if all weren't fucking "kill x of y" quests.

Fuckin' hate those things......

That's what sucks. WoW is fun, leveling isnt. But to get to anything fun in wow, you have to level

Kyoufu

Angry Grimace said:
Alright, time for week 5 of being stuck with Death's Bite since Ironsoul only drops when I PUG Flame Leviathan on my alts.

:lol

For reference, there's only 3 2H STR weapons in 10 man Ulduar, and Ironsoul off of FL is probably the best one (I'm off of Frost DK until 3.2, and been moonlighting as Blood)

Err, Ironsoul is the worst one.

firex

I really only have fun leveling seeing my character get new toys and pulling off huge damage. I never care about whether it's quests or instances that level me up.

edit: speaking of leveling, I am enjoying my Arms warrior alt a lot. I'll have to buy him the heirloom chest next patch, and maybe another heirloom haste trinket (especially if the heal stacks). I really don't see how anyone could stand warrior tanking, though. My paladin is like 20x easier to get threat with, and doesn't have to rely on rage for his powers, and they built in a ton of mana regen/return abilities to the tankadin. Still pretty hyped at the new changes next patch too. The Ardent Defender change is a good, unique kind of life preservation thing without adding another cooldown to click, and I'm pretty sure the new raid will be very block-friendly. I'm also looking forward to the dps changes being made, since they finally made seal of command worthwhile, and are apparently trying to make seal of corruption the new dps seal of choice (at least for long fights).

Anyway, paladin digression aside, warrior tanking annoys me because rage seems way harder to get in defensive stance, but maybe with Warbringer and the rage reduction talents, and the appropriate glyphs, it's better. I'm only 41 and Arms, so when I tank shit I just swap to sword/shield and go into defensive stance, and basically pray for rage, rend/shield slam singles, TC multiples and tab-rend after TC is up until TC is off cooldown.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Magnus said:
FUCKING INSTANCE SERVERS FUCK

I tried doing Heroic Oculus tonight and yeah... got that over and over... we gave up eventually.

BTW anyone's guild need a uld-25 geared Ele shammy with 5/9 Hard Modes? :p

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I keep randomly clicking on some invisible addon or something. Something is bugged and certain parts of my screen wont work to click to turn or move the camera. I found one of these and moved it around, and when I picked up a quest the default blizzard quest thing was there, I had moved it when it was invisible.

Can I delete the Blizzard Ui in the addon folder? Or does anyone know an addon that interferes and makes this happen? This happened before I reformatted, now that I dont have my addons configured it's happening again and it's really annoying.

firex

LAUGHTREY said:
I keep randomly clicking on some invisible addon or something. Something is bugged and certain parts of my screen wont work to click to turn or move the camera. I found one of these and moved it around, and when I picked up a quest the default blizzard quest thing was there, I had moved it when it was invisible.

Can I delete the Blizzard Ui in the addon folder? Or does anyone know an addon that interferes and makes this happen? This happened before I reformatted, now that I dont have my addons configured it's happening again and it's really annoying.
If you wipe the whole interface folder, the next time you log in to WoW and pick a character, it should take a fuckload of time but create the default interface folder all over again. Unless they changed that since ages ago, but I don't think they did. I'm pretty sure that's a hard-coded thing in case someone mods their UI and it gets corrupted or something.

edit: for any shaman discussion that may come up wondering about weapon types, this is the succint explanation for why you do slow/slow and wf/ft:
EJ post said:
Slow/Slow is the only option since they normalized FT damage. That means that FT does the same amount of damage no matter what the weapon speed. Stormstrike and Lava Lash both do a lot more damage with a slow offhand and only Static Shock does more damage with a fast one so the advantages is definitely in a slow offhands favor.
from here: http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t63992-enhancement_3_2_changes/p2/#post1286704

The forum may be full of crazy autistic people who are great at number crunching, but sometimes that just leads to good general guidelines for how to play/gear up your character, which leaves your own skill at playing as the only remaining question.

Alex

I like EJ and I like the strictness, but the moderation forum is the most entertaining part of the site. "YOU DIDN'T CAPS THE I IN YOUR POST, RAGGGGEEEEEE"

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
firex said:
If you wipe the whole interface folder, the next time you log in to WoW and pick a character, it should take a fuckload of time but create the default interface folder all over again. Unless they changed that since ages ago, but I don't think they did. I'm pretty sure that's a hard-coded thing in case someone mods their UI and it gets corrupted or something.
Lame. I keep clicking on invisible things and it's getting annoying.

VAIL

I started up a UD rouge and BE mage, there were a couple of retarded Drae DK's running around when I made the mage, but they were dispatched most quickly. I love that if the similar thing were happening around Goldshire it would take forever for someone to deal with them, Allaince is soooo lazy.

Undead have like the best racial passives, it's insane.

Aurarian

firex said:
I really only have fun leveling seeing my character get new toys and pulling off huge damage. I never care about whether it's quests or instances that level me up.

edit: speaking of leveling, I am enjoying my Arms warrior alt a lot. I'll have to buy him the heirloom chest next patch, and maybe another heirloom haste trinket (especially if the heal stacks). I really don't see how anyone could stand warrior tanking, though. My paladin is like 20x easier to get threat with, and doesn't have to rely on rage for his powers, and they built in a ton of mana regen/return abilities to the tankadin. Still pretty hyped at the new changes next patch too. The Ardent Defender change is a good, unique kind of life preservation thing without adding another cooldown to click, and I'm pretty sure the new raid will be very block-friendly. I'm also looking forward to the dps changes being made, since they finally made seal of command worthwhile, and are apparently trying to make seal of corruption the new dps seal of choice (at least for long fights).

Anyway, paladin digression aside, warrior tanking annoys me because rage seems way harder to get in defensive stance, but maybe with Warbringer and the rage reduction talents, and the appropriate glyphs, it's better. I'm only 41 and Arms, so when I tank shit I just swap to sword/shield and go into defensive stance, and basically pray for rage, rend/shield slam singles, TC multiples and tab-rend after TC is up until TC is off cooldown.

Yeah, the problem with Warrior tanks is we have really spiky rage generation. Sometimes I have rage coming out of everywhere and other times I barely have any. For bosses I usually have a lot of rage, but sometimes I can actually lose it all with all the HS I do. I switched my Heroic Strike Glyph with Vigilance although I'm thinking of switching again. Revenge Glyph is super hot by the way. Best glyphs imo are Blocking, Revenge, Thunder Clap, Bloodrage, Charge, and Vigilance/HS. Vigilance is more suited for OT, but works great for MT's too. An extra 15% threat is really great for those situations when you're low on rage. HS glyph is awesome when you crit as it's an extra 10 rage which basically nullifies the cost if you have 3/3 on the heroic strike talent in arms. The problem with Warriors right now is really that we're stacking more avoidance than we used too which leads to those spiky rage situations and our AOE tanking still sucks ass plus our mitigation kinda sucks with block value being useless for Ulduar. I still love being a Warrior though.

Macattk15

So as I said earlier I went from DPS warrior :

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Sicar

To squishy Mr. Rogue :

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Hematoma

Just made the switch at the start of this week and I've already gotten pretty geared. WTB 4 pc T8.5. I WANT MY RUPTURE CRITZ.

It's sad that my rogue in current form out dps'es my Warrior by a good amount on single target things and BLOWS him out of the water on AoE (Thanks Spam of Knives & Blade Flurry).

The warrior Q&A from yesterday just solidified my choice to switch mains. Blizzard hates Warriors ... saying we should be doing the same DPS as druids & DK's. That's LOLworthy.

Kyoufu

Rogues are just top notch at PVE right now. Can't think of any other melee class that can put out the DPS they do in their sleep.

Macattk15

Kyoufu said:
Rogues are just top notch at PVE right now. Can't think of any other melee class that can put out the DPS they do in their sleep.

Good feral druids seem to be able to. I don't know if that's a combination of Swipe ... or their ridiculous DoT.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kyoufu said:
Err, Ironsoul is the worst one.
No, that's not right at all, actually.

Of the non-hard mode ones, there's only three 2H weapons: Stormedge, which is the same damage range, but has has a ton of hit (which I don't need) and b) is an axe so my Human gets no Expertise bonus, Abbadon, which is better as a DK tank weapon due to its glut of Stam and lower damage range. Ironsoul has Strength, Armor Pen and Critical Rating which are the top three stat-weights for Blood DKs and the same weapon damage as Stormedge.

Of course, it didn't drop, but at least I upgraded to Dragonsteel Faceplate from Spiked Titansteel (the visual upgrade alone was worth it). Our guild's top two DPSers have the worst gear by far, because nothing plate ever drops.

Negator

funkmastergeneral said:
That really drops off Yogg? Seems pretty comparable to a neck piece that drops from Flame Leviathian :lol

Their new philosophy is to have the higher Item level loot drop off of the hard mode bosses, and not the bosses at the end of the instance. Unfortunately, 10 man hard mode loot is usually better than their 25 man (normal mode) equivalent items, so we're kinda forced into raiding both for upgrades.

For example, the following are best in slot for rogues:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=46032 knocks the pants off of the 25m hardmode Hodir cloak
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=46095 beats everything
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45931

Not to mention that the Masticator and Combatant's Bootblade are way better than Insanity's Grip and Golem Shard Sticker, but at least those have 25 hard mode upgrades to look forward to.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
funkmastergeneral said:
That really drops off Yogg? Seems pretty comparable to a neck piece that drops from Flame Leviathian :lol
Yogg's loot is generally no better than anyone else's.

I'm sitting on 2 pieces of Ulduar gear (Dragonsteel Faceplate and Might of the Leviathan), 4pc T7.10 :)lol) and lvl 75 Emerald Boar. I have the Valorous T7 Gloves, Valor Emblem cape, and Death's Bite as ilvl 213 items :lol. Everything else is Naxx 10 and HEROIC stuff (i.e. Death Inured Sabatons, Flame-Bathed Steel Girdle)

Negator said:
Their new philosophy is to have the higher Item level loot drop off of the hard mode bosses, and not the bosses at the end of the instance. Unfortunately, 10 man hard mode loot is usually better than their 25 man (normal mode) equivalent items, so we're kinda forced into raiding both for upgrades.

For example, the following are best in slot for rogues:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=46032 knocks the pants off of the 25m hardmode Hodir cloak
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=46095 beats everything
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45931

Not to mention that the Masticator and Combatant's Bootblade are way better than Insanity's Grip and Golem Shard Sticker, but at least those have 25 hard mode upgrades to look forward to.

Oh man, I was not aware of that. I hope Algalon at least has higher level loot, since he technically is the last boss and requires hard mode kills.

Negator

funkmastergeneral said:
Oh man, I was not aware of that. I hope Algalon at least has higher level loot, since he technically is the last boss and requires hard mode kills.

Algalon only drops hard mode loot. He is the final boss in the instance, but he drops loot in line with the other hard mode bosses.

Most of the Algalon drops are actually best in slot for a lot of classes, so it doesn't matter too much anyway. If you're downing Algalon chances are good that he'll drop something you want.

Angry Grimace

firex said:
he does. Algalon is a little bit higher than the other ilevel stuff in Ulduar.
No it's not. Algalon's stuff is all ilvl239, and for the most part his drops don't appear to be unique (they are culled from other Hard Mode tables a la Gluth).

Negator said:
Algalon only drops hard mode loot. He is the final boss in the instance, but he drops loot in line with the other hard mode bosses.

Most of the Algalon drops are actually best in slot for a lot of classes, so it doesn't matter too much anyway. If you're downing Algalon chances are good that he'll drop something you want.

More like you don't NEED anything off him if you're downing him :lol

Kyoufu

Angry Grimace said:
No, that's not right at all, actually.

Of the non-hard mode ones, there's only three 2H weapons: Stormedge, which is the same damage range, but has has a ton of hit (which I don't need) and b) is an axe so my Human gets no Expertise bonus, Abbadon, which is better as a DK tank weapon due to its glut of Stam and lower damage range. Ironsoul has Strength, Armor Pen and Critical Rating which are the top three stat-weights for Blood DKs and the same weapon damage as Stormedge.

Of course, it didn't drop, but at least I upgraded to Dragonsteel Faceplate from Spiked Titansteel (the visual upgrade alone was worth it). Our guild's top two DPSers have the worst gear by far, because nothing plate ever drops.

Well you didn't specifically say non-hardmode hence my statement.

Angry Grimace

Kyoufu said:
Well you didn't specifically say non-hardmode hence my statement.
I said "there's only 3 STR 2H weapons in 10 man Ulduar" if I was referring to hard-mode drops, there are like 6.

Flib

Trollbane, Ally-side, has become a cesspool and we transferred our officers and main raiders to Uldaman. Just not a big enough pool of serious raiders where we were.

Xabora

yay summer crowd.

Undermine went from a Low-Medium Pop realm normally to being a High Pop with a Queue during peak hours all because we got placed on the Reccomended server list... for 3 days.

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
yay summer crowd.

Undermine went from a Low-Medium Pop realm normally to being a High Pop with a Queue during peak hours all because we got placed on the Reccomended server list... for 3 days.
I'm sure your Dalaran Trade Chat is lovely

Macattk15

Flib said:
Trollbane, Ally-side, has become a cesspool and we transferred our officers and main raiders to Uldaman. Just not a big enough pool of serious raiders where we were.

That is too bad. Onslaught is still kicking and dropping a new hard mode per week it seems. Maybe you should've been horde!

Negator

Speaking of which, has anyones raid guild suffered from attendance issues because of summer? We can't progress much because random key players intermittently have random things to do on random days. We're just barely clearing the hard modes that we have on farm and can't really work on anything new.

We've tried recruiting but it's gotten really hard to recruit quality players ever since Lich King came out. Even if we filled out the holes in our raid with mediocre players the real problem won't be solved.

Flib

I had a chance to join Fallen or Forgotten, but their raid schedules don't really work for me (Fallen's is much too late).

Also, Faction Change is still too far off.

Flib

Negator said:
Speaking of which, has anyones raid guild suffered from attendance issues because of summer? We can't progress much because random key players intermittently have random things to do on random days. We're just barely clearing the hard modes that we have on farm and can't really work on anything new.

We've tried recruiting but it's gotten really hard to recruit quality players ever since Lich King came out. Even if we filled out the holes in our raid with mediocre players the real problem won't be solved.

Yeah, it's happening to a lot of guilds. It's what was happening with us, and the recruitment pool on the server is just so bad. I've been running new apps through over the last few weeks, and pretty much everyone was uniformly terrible.

Interfectum

kai3345 said:
Grr all this talk of high level content really makes me wish I could level faster.

All Ive got is a 47 Mage, can't really do much of anything :(

I can do some instances here and there, but nobody really plays the 30-40 range instances on my server.

Watching people do those 10 and 25 man raids looks so fun!

Maybe I should look into hiring someone from china.......

I'm (kinda) in the same boat as you (have a 48 warlock) but I'm lucky because I already have an 80 DK and Hunter. I really hate the last bit of quests before 58 so what I'm doing is while having a blast through heroics, raids, dailies, etc I'm saving up some emblems to buy every cloth / spell power heirloom and I'll eventually send all those items back to the warlock, along with gold (for mounts), and +spell power enchants/armor and he'll be good to go for 80. :lol

Macattk15

We've had problems with attendance as well.

But we made recruitment posts on the Guild Recruitment forum and kept it constantly bumped and received tons of apps .... quite a few good players have xferred over also.

Angry Grimace

Here's something that was a minor surprise:

Guild Friend and I ran a PUG Flame Leviathan, and he was a Warlock (the only caster). He asked if he could have the BoE Combustion Bracers since it was his spec, and instead of QQing about the gold and "BoE everyone roll" everyone was like "ok" and just walked off. I expressed some surprise in guild vent.

Also, we only discovered this week that you can skip downing all the towers on FL :lol I never really had looked into it, but I was like "If we talk to Brann, can't we skip this crap"

Angry Grimace said:
Here's something that was a minor surprise:

Guild Friend and I ran a PUG Flame Leviathan, and he was a Warlock (the only caster). He asked if he could have the BoE Combustion Bracers since it was his spec, and instead of QQing about the gold and "BoE everyone roll" everyone was like "ok" and just walked off. I expressed some surprise in guild vent.

Also, we only discovered this week that you can skip downing all the towers on FL :lol I never really had looked into it, but I was like "If we talk to Brann, can't we skip this crap"

Do people normally have a problem with that? I don't think I've ever been in a PUG that cares if you roll for a BoE, as long as you equip it right afterwards.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can hardly imagine a worgen using armors and weapons like everyone else though. It will probably be some new high resolution models with new animations. I mean just look at the male worgen mask, it looks so high detailed and different from the regular mob one.

firex

I think those are just extra masks for some new halloween stuff. I don't see it being anything else unless they actually announce that they're adding a new race next expansion, at blizzcon.

Retro

Worgen as a playable race, eh? You know what that means.

289aihg.jpg

Welcome to the World of Yiffcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom