• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
firex said:
third faction confirmed
worgen, goblins, naga, humanoid losers, murlocs, and ogres
That would be epic. And being that Blizz is so awesome I could actually see them pulling it off.

Arozay

So they fix the Curse of Weakness bug no-one used and then nerf Algalon under the assumption people used it and then 20 guilds kill it on the same night. GZ BLIZZ.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zaro said:
So they fix the Curse of Weakness bug no-one used and then nerf Algalon under the assumption people used it and then 20 guilds kill it on the same night. GZ BLIZZ.
It doesn't really matter, does it? If they DIDN'T nerf Algalon, it would be nerfed by default when item levels higher than even he drops start popping out in like 2-3 weeks.

Epix

Sam Raimi to direct the World of Warcraft Movie

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – July 22, 2009 -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and Legendary Pictures announced today that Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the eagerly-anticipated major motion picture based on Blizzard Entertainment®’s award-winning Warcraft® universe. Raimi has, in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing and adapting existing fictional universes for mainstream audiences while staying true to the spirit of the original content.

Raimi directed the Spider-Man trilogy, which has broken box-office records around the world and garnered five Academy Award® nominations. Known for his imaginative filmmaking style, richly drawn characters and offbeat humor, Raimi wrote and directed the cult classic, The Evil Dead and produced 30 Days Of Night. He most recently wrote and directed the supernatural thriller, Drag Me To Hell.

"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," said Raimi. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen."

Charles Roven’s producing talents were recently seen with last summer’s blockbuster The Dark Knight, which grossed in excess of $1 billion, was nominated for eight Academy Awards® and won two. His body of work also includes the widely acclaimed Batman Begins and the sci-fi classic 12 Monkeys. Roven, with Atlas producing partner Alex Gartner, will be producing with Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull, Legendary’s Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni, Raimi and Raimi’s producing partner Joshua Donen. Raimi’s partner, Robert Tapert, will be an Executive Producer and Blizzard Entertainment’s Senior Vice President of Creative Development, Chris Metzen, a Co-Producer.

"Partnering with Sam Raimi exemplifies Legendary's mandate of marrying the highest quality intellectual property to world-class filmmakers" said Legendary’s Tull. "Sam's passion for 'Warcraft' is undeniable and we know that he will create an incredible film worthy of Blizzard's phenomenal franchise. We look forward to collaborating with our partners at Warner Bros. and continuing our successful relationship with Chuck in bringing this rich new world to the screen."

"Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have a shared vision for this film and we searched at length to find the very best director to bring that vision to life," said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice. Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time. We're looking forward to working with him to achieve that here."

Loxley

Color me excited. Partially simply for the fact that the film isn't dead like many thought it was, secondly because Raimi definitely has plenty of experience directing fantastical movies.

And don't bother bringing up Spider-Man 3 as a reason why he shouldn't direct it, he didn't have as much creative freedom over 3 as he did with the first two. Plus, every director has a blackspot or two (see --> War of the Worlds)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Epix said:
The movie will be a three parter:

The first part will be a plucky young Night Elf warrior who is tasked to retrieve 12 wolf tails, and his struggle to get that last tail that won't drop.

The second part will be a group of 25 random adventurers who run the same dungeon over and over again.

The third part will be a character piece about a young trickster gnome with the magic "slash two" microphone who is able to use it to speak to all members of the Alliance who happen to be in major cities and annoys them with idle chatter and talk about anal objects.

That or, it will be Ruler of the Bracelet

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's a Warcraft movie, not a WoW one. :lol Even if the popularity of WoW is probably the reason it's being made.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
It's a Warcraft movie, not a WoW one. :lol Even if the popularity of WoW is probably the reason it's being made.
This is Hollywood, so we can pretty much already guarantee the main character will be some random person because none of the regular characters are "good enough" (see: Resident Evil) and for the most part none of the regular characters will appear save Jaina Proudmoore, and she will be hyper-sexed and have huge fake tits and act really horny all the time.

Angry Grimace said:
This is Hollywood, so we can pretty much already guarantee the main character will be some random person because none of the regular characters are "good enough" (see: Resident Evil) and for the most part none of the regular characters will appear save Jaina Proudmoore, and she will be hyper-sexed and have huge fake tits and act really horny all the time.

She's going to fuck Thrall in the movie. I'm calling it now.

Angry Grimace

cubicle47b said:
She's going to fuck Thrall in the movie. I'm calling it now.
She practically does in the game, so I guess it's not really all that much of a stretch. Besides, they already established in-lore that Orcs can and do mate with all sorts of things (and successfully produce offspring. :lol)

Angry Grimace

firex said:
She would have if her dad wasn't such a dick and started a race war.
Varian doesn't seem too nice in that regard either. Generally I find Jaina more annoying though, since virtually all of the parts of the game that have Jaina in it are her pandering and simpering to Thrall, i.e. the Ulduar preview, the Wrathgate, etc.

firex

well, in all honesty, she was the one Alliance leader who put aside the whole alliance/horde hate and cooperated with them. Now they just put that to an extreme because Blizzard can never tell a good story for more than 5 minutes, but if she were in charge of the Alliance and Thrall had total control of the entire Horde, there wouldn't even be a war.

Angry Grimace

firex said:
well, in all honesty, she was the one Alliance leader who put aside the whole alliance/horde hate and cooperated with them. Now they just put that to an extreme because Blizzard can never tell a good story for more than 5 minutes, but if she were in charge of the Alliance and Thrall had total control of the entire Horde, there wouldn't even be a war.
Yeah, but she can't be all that smart, since if Jaina joined my Ulduar raid the world would be much safer and we would have cleared Ulduar a lot faster. I mean, she gave me a buff during the Battle for the Undercity event that let me have infinite mana and do triple the damage.

Vieo

So how will exp for BGs work? Is it already working on the PTR? Is it being implemented in the next patch? And will the amount gained be enough to make leveling through BGs viable?

I'm thinking of rolling a Horde Priest sometime in December (if I try Aion and don't like it), but there's no way I'm going to if I have to do a crap load of fetch quests.

Angry Grimace

Vieo said:
So how will exp for BGs work? Is it already working on the PTR? Is it being implemented in the next patch? And will the amount gained be enough to make leveling through BGs viable?

I'm thinking of rolling a Horde Priest sometime in December (if I try Aion and don't like it), but there's no way I'm going to if I have to do a crap load of fetch quests.
It's slower than questing according to the designers.

Loxley

Angry Grimace said:

Metzen confirmed at the Blizzcon '07 movie panel that A.) The movie will take place before the events of vanilla World of Warcraft, B.) Will have a "kick-ass human" as the protagonist... C.) ...but will not be Varian.

Some are suspecting either Uther or Bolvar, which would be my two primary candidates.

One thing that Thomas Tull (chairman of Legendary Pictures) has said in regards to the movie that I really liked, was that the Warcraft movie will be much much more of flat-out war-movie, not a quest movie. Which makes sense since there is just so much fucking fighting amongst the races and factions throughout the Warcraft lore.

firex

It wouldn't be Uther because he's dead well before WoW comes about. Hell, he's dead before Warcraft 3 ends.

edit: same for Arthas, as he is a death knight when he kills Uther and there is a 4-year gap between Warcraft 3's expansion and vanilla WoW in the overall storyline.

Loxley

Those would be my next two choices. Although my guess is that the community's (apparent) hatred for Rhonin as a character might keep Blizzard from promoting him to lead-character in their assumed monstrous trilogy.

I actually think Arthas would make the most sense, since his story-line is the most intriguing from a film-perspective. Good guy is good in first movie, in second movie he becomes the bad guy, in third movie we witness the fall of the bad guy. Of course they've already said the film will take place one year before the events of WoW, so while his story is the most film-friendly, they've pretty much already confirmed they won't be doing that (in a round-about way).

But hey, it's been two years since Metzen was talking about all that, so things may have changed. If they did go the Arthas-Uther route, there's a lot they'd have to skim over or cut in order to fit it into three movies, but I do think Arthas' good-to-evil storyline theoretically makes the most sense for a Hollywood three-part series. Not to mention there's the love-interest factor with Jaina.

Although if nothing has changed and the movie will still take one year before vanilla WoW, then my two best guesses would be Bolvar or (blech) Rhonin.

Angry Grimace

Loxley said:
Those would be my next two choices. Although my guess is that the community's (apparent) hatred for Rhonin as a character might keep Blizzard from promoting him to lead-character in their assumed monstrous trilogy.

I actually think Arthas would make the most sense, since his story-line is the most intriguing from a film-perspective. Good guy is good in first movie, in second movie he becomes the bad guy, in third movie we witness the fall of the bad guy. Of course they've already said the film will take place one year before the events of WoW, so while his story is the most film-friendly, they've pretty much already confirmed they won't be doing that (in a round-about way).

But hey, it's been two years since Metzen was talking about all that, so things may have changed. If they did go the Arthas-Uther route, there's a lot they'd have to skim over or cut in order to fit it into three movies, but I do think Arthas' good-to-evil storyline theoretically makes the most sense for a Hollywood three-part series. Not to mention there's the love-interest factor with Jaina.

Although if nothing has changed and the movie will still take one year before vanilla WoW, then my two best guesses would be Bolvar or (blech) Rhonin.
That Arthas storyline sounds awfully similar to Darth Vader. Not to mention that the Lich King's voice/armor/overall appearance is pretty much Darth Vader.

Besides, most of the general public would pretty much see the Lich King as a half-baked ripoff of Sauron.

Jaina should be the main character and the movie would be people trying to get a piece of her erm, Improved Brilliance Aura.

Angry Grimace

firex said:
oh wait, if it's about a kickass human, then it must be about Leeroy Jenkins.
I have little hope in the concept: I mean, it's Warcraft the videogame as a movie, which has never worked as anything but lulz in the past.

"Kickass human," means, of course, half-baked Aragorn ripoff. My guess is that since this is Hollywood, the entire movie will be a ripoff of LoTR. Even though this should be an Alliance-Horde war movie, it will probably end up as some lame fetch quest starrring some random person they made up for the movie.

Rather than stock characters or ripoffs, the protagonists should probably be Jaina Proudmoore and Thrall, but I have little hope of them casting a non-helpless female and/or intelligent orc as the main characters. I'll be mildly surprised if the Orcs are even capable of speech, to be honest.

VAIL

This is annoying, we have a bunch of dead guys in SW spelling out TFTFT.com which is a gold seller...they have been there for days now, Blizz really should deal with it.

Xabora

VAIL said:
This is annoying, we have a bunch of dead guys in SW spelling out *****.com which is a gold seller...they have been there for days now, Blizz really should deal with it.
:lol
What server are you on?

Arozay

Angry Grimace said:
It doesn't really matter, does it? If they DIDN'T nerf Algalon, it would be nerfed by default when item levels higher than even he drops start popping out in like 2-3 weeks.
Best part is with Algalon, the fight doesn't need nerfs at all for a higher percentage of people to be killing it, just screw with the timer in that case. 90% of the fight is just preparation and not using your hour like a retard, which is apparently hard to do. The rest is a standard spam tank, heal predictable damage, meet enrage. Effectively a 1 healer drop in heroic now though.

Also an optional endgame boss not cockblocking anything.

Angry Grimace

Zaro said:
Best part is with Algalon, the fight doesn't need nerfs at all for a higher percentage of people to be killing it, just screw with the timer in that case. 90% of the fight is just preparation and not using your hour like a retard, which is apparently hard to do. The rest is a standard spam tank, heal predictable damage, meet enrage. Effectively a 1 healer drop in heroic now though.

Also an optional endgame boss not cockblocking anything.
It's kind of rich for people to be complaining about Algalon's difficulty level when I will eat crow if even a single person here can post a screenshot of their toon next to a downed Algalon, especially on Heroic.

Your original point that no-one was using both CoW and Demo Shout together was flawed anyways; the fact that CoW was stacking with DemoShout got noticed because of Ensidia's Algalon video.

The net effect is almost assuredly designed to be 0 for guilds that were doing both. You're even missing the point of WHY they lowered the melee Attack Power. It's because DemoShout isn't supposed to stack with Curse of Weakness, and it would make those encounters HARDER if you took that away.

firex

Angry Grimace said:
I have little hope in the concept: I mean, it's Warcraft the videogame as a movie, which has never worked as anything but lulz in the past.

"Kickass human," means, of course, half-baked Aragorn ripoff. My guess is that since this is Hollywood, the entire movie will be a ripoff of LoTR. Even though this should be an Alliance-Horde war movie, it will probably end up as some lame fetch quest starrring some random person they made up for the movie.

Rather than stock characters or ripoffs, the protagonists should probably be Jaina Proudmoore and Thrall, but I have little hope of them casting a non-helpless female and/or intelligent orc as the main characters. I'll be mildly surprised if the Orcs are even capable of speech, to be honest.
I bet this will have at least one Leeroy Jenkins segment just for fun, but I don't really expect it to be a good movie. I don't even plan on seeing it in theaters. Like I said in the OT thread, though, the only videogame to movie adaptation worth watching is Super Hornio Bros. 2 anyway.

Arozay

Angry Grimace said:
I think you're overestimating how "easy" Algalon is after a slight nerf to the melee power boss that hits like a Truck with arms made of trains made of Dark Matter.

It's kind of rich for people to be complaining about Algalon's difficulty level when I will eat crow if even a single person here can post a screenshot of their toon next to a downed Algalon, especially on Heroic.
Only danger to tank healing provided you're not running a retarded healing/tank setup is when the fulltime healers have to move on smashes or an unlucky avoidance streak + star collapse. Also crow.

Angry Grimace

Zaro said:
Only danger to tank healing provided you're not running a retarded healing/tank setup is when the fulltime healers have to move on smashes or an unlucky avoidance streak + star collapse. Also crow.
I'll eat crow on the point that you've done the encounter, but if there's no danger to tank healing in the first place, then it's irrelevant, isn't it? I just don't see why everyone's in such a rush to state that the game is too easy, when it's not.

The change isn't even a straight-up nerf, and even if 100 more guilds did it, the encounter would still be very considered quite difficult from what I can tell. Any guilds that still are gluttons for punishment can still do Yogg +0, can't they?

Exactly how much of a difference in his melee are you seeing?

I think it will be an Arthas movie simply because he would have mass market appeal even among people who don't play the games. They could fill up the first 2 movies with his life up until the end of WC3 and make the third one about whatever happens in LK and ICC.

Angry Grimace

Oni Link 666 said:
I think it will be an Arthas movie simply because he would have mass market appeal even among people who don't play the games. They could fill up the first 2 movies with his life up until the end of WC3 and make the third one about whatever happens in LK and ICC.
That sounds like a condensed version of Star Wars, but set in Lord of the Rings :lol

I dunno, I just don't think the Lich King on screen would amount to much more than Darth Vader combined with Sauron unless you really had a lot of time to set up backstory.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Since we're discussing the movie here, I'd totally love to watch a full length movie that looked like the WoW CG trailers. But it'll probably live action which sucks since Warcraft has such a distinct art style. (Plus the CG would look incredible on Blu Ray.)

Loxley

Angry Grimace said:
Even though this should be an Alliance-Horde war movie, it will probably end up as some lame fetch quest starrring some random person they made up for the movie.

From Thomas Tull, Chairman of Legendary Pictures with regards to their plans for the film's plot:

"It’s not so much a quest movie. It’s more of a war movie."

I don't see why there should be any reason to doubt him, given Legendary's track-record.

Since we're discussing the movie here, I'd totally love to watch a full length movie that looked like the WoW CG trailers. But it'll probably live action which sucks since Warcraft has such a distinct art style. (Plus the CG would look incredible on Blu Ray.)

It's been confirmed to be a live-action movie since the movie's announcement in 2007 :D

Angry Grimace

I think part of why people get burned out on the game is that they focus too much on these micro-issues with the game's engine that don't *really* matter. I mean, for example, some DK in my guild was complaining that;

"Paladin's are overpowered in PvP. I got this guy in a duel down to like 20 percent, and then he bubble+heals, and then I get him down again, and he Lays on Hands and I get him down and then he kills me. It's not fair!"

I'm like, you got his health down to virtually 0 three times in a row without dying and HE'S overpowered? :lol

The vast majority of trade chat throwaway talk these days is just complaining non-stop about PvP issues in re: 1 on 1s, which are inherently going to be unbalanced because it's pretty much literally impossible to balance every class against another. It comes off a bit like the Scissors complaining that it gets beat by Rock. I can see why PvP seems to burn people out so quick.

Angry Grimace said:
That sounds like a condensed version of Star Wars, but set in Lord of the Rings :lol

I dunno, I just don't think the Lich King on screen would amount to much more than Darth Vader combined with Sauron unless you really had a lot of time to set up backstory.

Warcraft is pretty much Star Wars + LOTR. You can't hide how derivative it is. Arthas is basically Luke and Anakin rolled into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom