• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oni Link 666 said:
Warcraft is pretty much Star Wars + LOTR. You can't hide how derivative it is. Arthas is basically Luke and Anakin rolled into one.
Hence why the movie should be about Jaina :lol

You could hire someone hot to keep the fanboys jerking it AND avoid the derivative nature of her being Arwen 2.0 to whoever the movie's Aragorn is. I'm not sure Hollywood's got the stone's to make a movie aimed at 99.9% men star a woman who's something other than a damsel in distress/sex object.

Loxley

Angry Grimace said:
Hence why the movie should be about Jaina :lol

You could hire someone hot to keep the fanboys jerking it AND avoid the derivative nature of her being Arwen 2.0 to whoever the movie's Aragorn is. I'm not sure Hollywood's got the stone's to make a movie aimed at 99.9% men star a woman who's something other than a damsel in distress/sex object.

I would bring up the Tomb Raider movies, but she essentially was half a sex-object ("zomg side-boob") ;)

Ralys

Banned
I think the movie will be about the Scarlet Crusade and the creation of the Ashbringer, that scene in Southshore.

EDIT: Actually, it'll prob follow Medivh post Warcraft 3.

Arozay

Angry Grimace said:
I'll eat crow on the point that you've done the encounter, but if there's no danger to tank healing in the first place, then it's irrelevant, isn't it? I just don't see why everyone's in such a rush to state that the game is too easy, when it's not.

The change isn't even a straight-up nerf, and even if 100 more guilds did it, the encounter would still be very considered quite difficult from what I can tell. Any guilds that still are gluttons for punishment can still do Yogg +0, can't they?

Exactly how much of a difference in his melee are you seeing?

Nerf allows more flex in tank/healer setup (DK and GS/DS'ing the spare) and cooldown use, and the possibility of dropping a healer hits the dps requirement. The actual fight isn't hard, it's just people either buckling under pressure due to the time limit or just going in there with the wrong idea. The nerf allows more wrong idea's to work basically and gives a downs buffer for the people already on track. Obviously talking heroic here, 10man = alts or afk till 3rd bang.

Haven't used the hour for the week yet (not risking dc'ers), but from logs it just looks like they just pre-applied the CoW value since the average hit change is around 15-20% for melee. As for Yogg+0, it's a great fight but blizzard kinda pissed on the motivation by scheduling an overkill nerf for 3.2.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Loxley said:
I would bring up the Tomb Raider movies, but she essentially was half a sex-object ("zomg side-boob") ;)
Well the idea was more that you DON'T sex the movie up that much, even though you inevitably cast a hot chick into that role. Tomb Raider was already an over-sexed series from the beginning, given she had anatomically impossible titties from the get-go.

All I'm saying is that it might be refreshing to have a fantasy movie where the female lead isn't playing second fiddle to a stock male "badass." At least with a powerful female mage character she could realistically kick someone's ass without being unrealistically physically powerful.

I think a movie that has Jaina/Thrall trying to end a bloody conflict is a better idea than what Hollywood will come up with: an Alliance themed movie in which the Horde are bloodthirsty savages with only vague vestiges of reason (i.e. Klingons.).

Angry Grimace

Zaro said:
Nerf allows more flex in tank/healer setup (DK and GS/DS'ing the spare) and cooldown use, and the possibility of dropping a healer hits the dps requirement. The actual fight isn't hard, it's just people either buckling under pressure due to the time limit or just going in there with the wrong idea. The nerf allows more wrong idea's to work basically and gives a downs buffer for the people already on track. Obviously talking heroic here, 10man = alts or afk till 3rd bang.

Haven't used the hour for the week yet (not risking dc'ers), but from logs it just looks like they just pre-applied the CoW value since the average hit change is around 15-20% for melee. As for Yogg+0, it's a great fight but blizzard kinda pissed on the motivation by scheduling an overkill nerf for 3.2.
I'm not really sure what to say to that.

I certainly am nowhere near that fight, but you're the only person I've ever heard claim Algalon isn't inherently hard, even on 10 man. *shrug* I'm don't think was designed around the concept that the players are so good that they would find that encounter easy barring disconnects. *shrug*

firex

Ralys said:
I think the movie will be about the Scarlet Crusade and the creation of the Ashbringer, that scene in Southshore.

EDIT: Actually, it'll prob follow Medivh post Warcraft 3.
Second one would be pretty awesome, but I got the feeling Medivh's spirit went away after the end of Warcraft 3. I mean, he's dead, after all. Warcraft isn't pure comic book where dead people come back to life (at least just like they were in regular life) unless I am missing something from the awful fantasy novels I will never read.

Arozay

Angry Grimace said:
I certainly am nowhere near that fight, but you're the only person I've ever heard claim Algalon isn't inherently hard, even on 10 man. *shrug* I'm don't think was designed around the concept that the players are so good that they would find that encounter easy barring disconnects. *shrug*
It just seems intentionally undertuned to compensate for the limited time on it, would have been cruel if it was some sort of multi-phase fight with a significant learning curve or obscure mechanic. If you can do 1:30 of the fight you can do the whole thing.

Angry Grimace

firex said:
Second one would be pretty awesome, but I got the feeling Medivh's spirit went away after the end of Warcraft 3. I mean, he's dead, after all. Warcraft isn't pure comic book where dead people come back to life (at least just like they were in regular life) unless I am missing something from the awful fantasy novels I will never read.
I'm pretty sure Medivh already came back from the dead twice.

Going from the lowest possible settings to ultra settings is like playing an entirely different game. The draw distances is unbelievable, and there are actually shadows :eek:

firex

I thought with Medivh it was:
possessed by Sargeras in the womb
killed by Garona
Sargeras' spirit banished somehow
Medivh's spirit given the wanderer/prophet form in Warcraft 3

funkmastergeneral said:
Going from the lowest possible settings to ultra settings is like playing an entirely different game. The draw distances is unbelievable, and there are actually shadows :eek:

Yeah, I've always wanted to try this. Only thing I've played WoW on was a shitty lap top. Had to run everything at lowest possible settings just to get 15 fps. Always wondered what I'm missing out on.

firex said:
I thought with Medivh it was:
possessed by Sargeras in the womb
killed by Garona
Sargeras' spirit banished somehow
Medivh's spirit given the wanderer/prophet form in Warcraft 3
King Llane was killed by Garona, and Khadgar killed Medivh. His mother Aegwynn had defeated an avatar of Sargeras and that possessed Medivh in the womb.

YAY LORE.

EDIT: Er, you're also sorta right. Garona didn't physically kill Medivh, but helped in getting up Karazhan and was there when he was killed by Khadgar. Or something. I don't know. Blizzard is terrible at saying what's canon and what's not.

Angry Grimace

Orbitcube said:
King Llane was killed by Garona, and Khadgar killed Medivh. His mother Aegwynn had defeated an avatar of Sargeras and that possessed Medivh in the womb.

YAY LORE.

EDIT: Er, you're also sorta right. Garona didn't physically kill Medivh, but helped in getting up Karazhan and was there when he was killed by Khadgar. Or something. I don't know. Blizzard is terrible at saying what's canon and what's not.
I suppose Sargeras would be the "last" boss in Warcraft.

VaLiancY

After my long haitus I'm back in WoW and was fortunate enough to find a spot in my bud's guild. I come to realize I'm the 3rd hunter in solid 25 man raiding guild, I was pretty surprised since you can't walk on my server without tripping over a hunter. But the guild is druid central.

firex

well, I didn't think I had it all straight anyway. I barely played Warcraft 1 because road-building is pretty annoying and the game is really hard, at least by modern standards (or really easy, if you are lucky and manage to build the exact right units to kill the enemy's stuff) but I just remember Garona being involved in killing some of the Alliance leaders.

alrighty combat rogue gaf: quick question.

So I picked up Vulmir, the Northern Tempest tonight (yes!), a pretty noticeable improvement over Calamity's Grasp (with a Kinetic Ripper OH). The Ripper has to stay for now, so should I spec into maces even tho my OH won't be affected by the improved maces talent or should I just stick with Calamity's Grasp until I can get a mace for my OH?

because I reeeeeally want to start using The Banhammer now.

You could hop on the PTR and do some recount testing on a dummy to find out. You could try some combination of of Mace spec and CQC. I doubt Calamity's Grasp will put out more DPS regardless of what weapon specialization you use.

Rogues in regards to weapon specs won't change much in 3.2 (besides adding axes to the sword spec). You're definitely better off waiting until you can get an OH mace before equipping Vulmir.

I'm not saying he should go test in on the PTR because of changes. I'm saying go on the PTR because you're not spending your real money on respecs there. The top end damage on Vulmir is so much higher than Calamity's Grasp's, I really doubt it would do less DPS even he used a dagger in the off-hand and stayed CQC.

Oni Link 666 said:
I'm not saying he should go test in on the PTR because of changes. I'm saying go on the PTR because you're not spending your real money on respecs there. The top end damage on Vulmir is so much higher than Calamity's Grasp's, I really doubt it would do less DPS even he used a dagger in the off-hand and stayed CQC.
Ah true. I did do a rough spreadsheet (without knowing his gear, full spec, raid makeup, etc.) and 3/5 CQC, 2/5 Mace spec with Vulmir and the Kinetic Ripper wasn't too far behind CG/KR.

Quake1028

I got my Tier 8.5 gloves last night. Only problem is these things are dripping in hit, and I was already over the hit cap for my spec. I really need to replace my neck, that would solve all of my problems right now.

Milpool

Anyone else got this creative, yet fucking annoying advertising on their server?

140900x.jpg

Been there for weeks now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Milpool said:
Anyone else got this creative, yet fucking annoying advertising on their server?

140900x.jpg

I've seen it once on my server, but it wasn't the same website. It was still a bunch of random letters though, and it was in the middle of Stormwind.

How the hell can they die in the big cities like that if there is no place to jump from? Some kind of flying hack?

Milpool said:

140900x.jpg

These are goldsellers. From what I heard, its common in european servers. I've seen them on a few US servers, though none recently.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I suppose what I'll do is just wait until the next raid lockout when hopefully Stonerender will drop, and in the meantime respec my offspec into improved maces and just compare the numbers. If it is a significant drop, I'll hold off the bashing until a little later. I'll post my results, just so the story can have an ending.

Now I get to run dailies for a berserking enchant and level my mace skill from 1 to 400.

stealth edit: 2 to 400. got an underbelly rat.

Milpool

VAIL said:
I posted something similar a little bit ago, really annoying.

So you did, I missed that. Last month the url was much longer and couldn't be seen all at once.

Apparently there's a client 'teleport hack' so they just fall from high up to create them.

firex said:
You could also just attack Gamon as a level 1 and die easily due to level difference.

Yea, but people have been seeing them fall from the sky to their deaths

ILOVEASIANS said:
Yeah, I've always wanted to try this. Only thing I've played WoW on was a shitty lap top. Had to run everything at lowest possible settings just to get 15 fps. Always wondered what I'm missing out on.

It's pretty fantastic. I've gone from

badpiccc.jpg

To this

goodpicc.jpg

firex

They probably just caught some disease from Topper Mcnabb in Stormwind and died that way. Never talk to that guy or you wind up catching hepatitis after awhile.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
firex said:
They probably just caught some disease from Topper Mcnabb in Stormwind and died that way. Never talk to that guy or you wind up catching hepatitis after awhile.

But he just want to eat a burger! :(

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, my old laptop was horrible for WoW, I had to turn the draw distance all the way down in Northrend and only turn it up again during one of the turret-type quests, just because otherwise I couldn't complete them. Thank god my desktop allows me to see more than the foggiest continent ever.:p

Xabora

Milpool said:

140900x.jpg

Just get a DK Buddy and a Druid buddy.
Make sure the DK has CE and the Druid the glyph to restore energy, rage, runic power and mana.

Have him keep casting the reg on the DK so he can keep popping the corpses with CE.

Epix

Xabora said:
Just get a DK Buddy and a Druid buddy.
Make sure the DK has CE and the Druid the glyph to restore energy, rage, runic power and mana.

Have him keep casting the reg on the DK so he can keep popping the corpses with CE.
But then the terrorists win.

Flib

VaLiancY said:
Fellow Huntards, our class' Q&A is up. Nothing big but a decent read.

While all of the Q&A's have sucked, this was one of the better ones, at least because it gave some hints that some major changes will be incoming with the next expansion.

Chris R

funkmastergeneral said:
I haven't had authenticating problems since I merged my battle.net account
I've had a few quirks here and there, but nothing in the past month. Just logged on 10 mins ago no problem.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I try to unlock people's lockboxes through the "Will Not Trade" slot, but it just says "Will receive lockpick" when I try to unlock it. What does that mean?

Tamanon

Banned
sykoex said:
I try to unlock people's lockboxes through the "Will Not Trade" slot, but it just says "Will receive lockpick" when I try to unlock it. What does that mean?

It means you will case pick lock on the box when both of you hit trade. Just like when you enchant something it'll say "Will receive Major Stamina"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom