• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Gloomfire said:
I never got a chance to run Scholo, either.

It was a bit of a pain since you had to do a questline to even get the key to enter. And it was an expensive one back in the days before dailies and quests giving gold at max level instead.

Tamanon

Banned
The only reason I even ran Scholo back in the day was that it was the only way to get the recipe to make Major Mana Potion. Either as a drop or by doing that quest to see ghosts and buy it from the ghost merchant.:lol

Such a pain to have such a useful alchemy recipe in such an out of the way place.

iamblades

Retro said:
Paladin tanking is generally considered to be the most boring of the four tanking classes, while Paladin healing is considered to be the most boring of... every class in the game.

Pay the 1000g and dual-spec your Druid for both, at least until Blizzard gets their head out of their asses as far as the Pally class is concerned.

I agree with paladin healing being the most boring in the game, considering paladins have one heal worth using.

I don't agree with paladin tanking being boring though, I'm really enjoying paladin tanking so far though. I really don't see how druid tanking could be considered more fun, spamming swipe and mangle is just as bad as hotr and shor.

The challenge for a paladin tank isn't holding aggro, its survival. Paladin tanks have the lowest base hp (scales well with stamina though), so they have to be more on their toes to begin with. The lack of any secondary tanking cooldowns means you have to have good timing and coordination with the priest or whoever for an external cooldown.

I'd probably say warriors are the most fun to tank with, but unfortunately they are boring as hell to level and grind with, so I've never gotten one past 50ish. Dks are fun in a relaxed facerolling kind of way, but not if you are looking for a challenge.

Lain

cubicle47b said:
Paladin healing is only boring if all healing in the instance or on the fight is boring or if you've had your role narrowed down to mindlessly spamming Holy Light on the tank (which is only necessary on Algalon and on certain parts of a couple hard modes like Thorim / Steelbreaker). Otherwise it's fine now (post-Beacon).

In BC we spammed Flash of Light (or down-ranked Holy Light) and healed through spikes with Holy Light. On top of that we used BoP and cleansed debuffs. That's about it. It was just how fast can you react and how well can you prioritize.

The spec opened up a lot in Wrath of the Lich King. We gained Sacred Shield, Beacon of Light (huge), Enlightened Judgments, Holy Shock's cooldown was drastically reduced and its range and healing increased, and a bit of utility in Divine Sacrifice and (recently) Aura Mastery. We also gained a lot of mana regen at a price (50% healing reduction for Divine Plea, being in melee range and not healing for Seal of Wisdom procs). We're still limited to single target heals and still spam almost non-stop but we have so many more choices (Beacon alone added a ton).

For all the talk of Holy being easy to play I've seen the biggest difference between good and bad Holy Paladins in 5 mans than in any other healer.

I completely agree here. Especially the last part.
Speaking personally, I've never found paladin healing to be boring, even during BC. Well, maybe in aoe heavy fights I've felt frustrated but never bored due to the mechanics of the class.

firex

I hate warrior tanking because rage is just too fucking frustrating to get in defensive stance. My opinion might change if I was deep prot instead of arms and I was higher level, but it's just so frustrating where I am now, even if tanking shit is easy as hell in the mid/low 40s. Then again it seems like Blizzard agrees with me and they will make rage easier to generate in defensive stance. They just need to redo the rage formula so 1h + shield gives more rage/swing and then don't touch the rage generation for any other form of attacking. Or give defensive stance a passive rage bonus per hit instead of rage bonus on block/parry/dodge. I mean, I imagine fully prot specced and at level 80, it's not as frustrating, but it still sucks getting rage in defensive stance compared to battle while leveling.

Anyway with the old vanilla 60 instance talk, they were all pretty brutal outside of DM. DM is still rough but only because the fights are tuned to be better. LBRS is pretty much my most-hated instance in the game from back at 60 because it was like a 4 hour clear, with way too much shit to do, and insane trash.

I actually wish they would go back to tough instances at max level, but save it for heroics, and make them pretty short. Or at least do that for a few instances next expansion if they don't want to do it for all of them.

Macattk15

Not selling my account currently but I am a little curious ...

How much do you guys think an account with both these characters on it would run?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Sikar
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Sicar

Some people from my guild have been selling their accounts as of late due to extreme boredom but they are only getting like $200 for one pretty damn well geared character (talking 4pc t8.5 and ulduar loots aplenty)

I remember when I sold my Alliance warrior WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in TBC SSC/TK days ... I sold it for $1500 ... no joke.

iamblades

Forgotten_Taco said:
Ugh UBRS and LBRS if I never go back to either of them I will die a happy man.

I actually liked UBRS, LBRS can go to hell though, along with BRD.

Edit:

I just got done doing the heroic daily, and let me say something. I do not advise running Old Kingdom with multiple healing classes in the group. They will chain heal during the insanity phase and it takes forever and a day to kill them.

thatbox

Banned
I don't know how many of you care, but I've made a spreadsheet to track mana "regen" that doesn't show up in combat logs. You feed it certain information from a parse on WMO/WOL/WWS and certain stats for the healers involved and it does lots of mundane number crunching for you.

An example of the output it spits out (there's a lot more useful info to pull out but this seems to be what most people are after):
deconhardregen.png

This is an XT-hardmode parse from a guild on Dethecus to which I have no connection. The Resto druid was literally Rejuv spamming (more than 60% of his time in the fight was spent casting a Rejuv) which is why his numbers are different from what you may see in your own runs. Parse here for this example.

EXCEL LINK: http://cetteboite.com/images/manaregenv2.xls
GOOGLE DOCS LINK: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArjIvkTY1iOAdG9NU2NjTnFlMWxMLTl2Si1wc1poWUE&hl=en (read-only)

I lead a guild and its raids on my Holy paladin and Holy priest so I've been following the large changes in store for Holy paladins very closely. Many people were claiming that paladins were singled out for a nerf simply because Illumination return shows up in Recount, so I wanted to see how everybody else stacked up when the hidden regen became visible regen.

iamblades said:
I actually liked UBRS, LBRS can go to hell though, along with BRD.
BRD and UBRS are fine dungeons, LBRS is an absolute nightmare to go through. There's absolutely no clear path whatsoever and you could be lost for hours. Oh well, I've got all my D1 from there, just need the chest and helm so I can make one of the better looking rogue sets (D2).

Xabora

As often as I hang out in OT... I never knew this.
Gary Whitta worked on a Warcraft screenplay
Link links to this site: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showpost.php?p=1820004&postcount=38

Gary Whitta said:
I had actually been working on this for the past two years. Had to keep it under wraps at the time but it doesn't really matter now.

I worked very closely with Legendary and Blizzard to come up with a screenplay that distilled the sprawling Warcraft mythology into a narrative that was easily accessible to the non-player, and everyone was really pleased with the results - I personally thought my last draft of the script in particular was really kick-ass and did a good job of introducing the Warcraft world to non-players while also satisfying hardcore players who knew every nook and cranny of the universe. When Sam expressed interest in the property, however, he had his own pretty specific vision of what he wanted to do story-wise so that's the version they're now pursuing. I'm no longer involved but I wish them all the best with it; so far as I'm concerned Raimi is the best possible director for this.

Makes me a good deal curious about Gary's version of the movie.

firex said:
I hate warrior tanking because rage is just too fucking frustrating to get in defensive stance. My opinion might change if I was deep prot instead of arms and I was higher level, but it's just so frustrating where I am now, even if tanking shit is easy as hell in the mid/low 40s. Then again it seems like Blizzard agrees with me and they will make rage easier to generate in defensive stance. They just need to redo the rage formula so 1h + shield gives more rage/swing and then don't touch the rage generation for any other form of attacking. Or give defensive stance a passive rage bonus per hit instead of rage bonus on block/parry/dodge. I mean, I imagine fully prot specced and at level 80, it's not as frustrating, but it still sucks getting rage in defensive stance compared to battle while leveling.

Anyway with the old vanilla 60 instance talk, they were all pretty brutal outside of DM. DM is still rough but only because the fights are tuned to be better. LBRS is pretty much my most-hated instance in the game from back at 60 because it was like a 4 hour clear, with way too much shit to do, and insane trash.

I actually wish they would go back to tough instances at max level, but save it for heroics, and make them pretty short. Or at least do that for a few instances next expansion if they don't want to do it for all of them.

It can definitely be a pain. Did Kologarn on 25 man a couple days ago; the previous week we failed pretty hard on him, but this time we owned him. Despite him beating the shit out of me there were more than a few instances where I was rage starved.

It's ridiculous in 25 man Naxx

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Does anyone know what Error 203 means when making an account? I can't make any trials or RAF. I want to get 4 trials going and try some multiboxing, see if I like it.

itxaka

Defeatist
I just hit my first 80!

A Horde Paladin, retry/heal.

But...I'm kind of lose know as I don't know what I should do from now on. I been checking the tirs for retry and I think my actual equipment is pretty good compared to them, and I should jump directly into tier 7/8

Anything I should know or suggestions of what I have to center on doing?

One of my friends told me to go finish the Argent tournament as the sword they give at the end is a good upgrade compared to mine, but it will take me at least 4 more days of dailys until I can finish it.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tyrande&n=Rulaxa

firex

Definitely get that 2h sword. It's free and comparable to the other kind of "starter" epic 2h weapon, Titansteel Destroyer. As far as a lot of your gear goes, you can replace some pieces with a little crafted stuff if you want.

edit: just to be clear, there is Vambraces of the Vengeance Bringer (probably differently named since it looks like you are on a Spanish server) which is an awesome crafted blue wrist slot that provides the 2 ratings you want (hit/crit) and a lot of your green slots are easy enough to upgrade. If you want a good blue relic, do the pvp quests in vengeance bay or something like that in grizzly hills and get the divine storm libram. A lot of your quest greens can be upgraded, but that first trinket you have (AP + expertise proc) is worth keeping.

itxaka

Defeatist
firex said:
Definitely get that 2h sword. It's free and comparable to the other kind of "starter" epic 2h weapon, Titansteel Destroyer. As far as a lot of your gear goes, you can replace some pieces with a little crafted stuff if you want.

edit: just to be clear, there is Vambraces of the Vengeance Bringer (probably differently named since it looks like you are on a Spanish server) which is an awesome crafted blue wrist slot that provides the 2 ratings you want (hit/crit) and a lot of your green slots are easy enough to upgrade. If you want a good blue relic, do the pvp quests in vengeance bay or something like that in grizzly hills and get the divine storm libram. A lot of your quest greens can be upgraded, but that first trinket you have (AP + expertise proc) is worth keeping.

Thanks for the tips :)

So I should start focusing on hit/crit. What about other stats? am I ok on them for just hitting 80?

Also, should I start enchanting + socketing (I can socket my own pieces) + buying jewels or I will get much better gear soon so I better save for them?

I normally get between 1st and 2nd on dps, normally second because I can't control very well my dps and I end stealing aggro from the tank, so I have to back down so I belive my dps is at least ok :D

Kyoufu

There is an undocumented change on Seal of Vengeance/Corruption on the latest PTR build. Basically only Ret paladin's auto attacks apply the seal's damage/dot instead of all attacks. I'm guessing its a bug because they actually say they wanted to boost Ret PVE dps rather than nuke it to the ground, which is what has happened with the latest build. :/

Cipherr

Kyoufu said:
What makes Frost DK good compared to the other melee specs on that fight?

Because of the way the storm buff and singed debuff on Hodir scales frost strikes. Opening recount after our kills show our frost dks with back to back to back to back to back to back 57k Frost strike crits. Its completely ridiculous. Its just one of those fights that fits that particular spec very well.

Quake1028

Tamanon said:
It was a bit of a pain since you had to do a questline to even get the key to enter. And it was an expensive one back in the days before dailies and quests giving gold at max level instead.

I did the questline, and had the key, thinking it would make it easier to find a group. Boy was I wrong :lol .

So my guild is working on hodir 25 man right now, man this fight is crazy. There's so much shit going on it's awesome, I fucked up real bad my first few trys but I get it now. Ulduar is an absolute blast.

Dresden

Kyoufu said:
There is an undocumented change on Seal of Vengeance/Corruption on the latest PTR build. Basically only Ret paladin's auto attacks apply the seal's damage/dot instead of all attacks. I'm guessing its a bug because they actually say they wanted to boost Ret PVE dps rather than nuke it to the ground, which is what has happened with the latest build. :/

Ret paladins are still stomping people with the revamped SoV, though. The buffs to FoL and SS have helped their survivability too. The changes were intended to nerf retadin pvp burst, but it didn't change much at all. In fact, with the new resilience changes coupled with the scaling of gear, it might work out as a buff in the long run for pvp paladins.

On the other hand, the Illumination nerf is going to hit Holy Paladins hard. The most boring healer just got gutted in terms of mana regen.

There's so many accounts being hacked on my server that I decided to get the blizzard authenticator along with the iPhone app. It's a bit more of a hassle, sure, but at least my account is safe.

Xabora

Puncture said:
Because of the way the storm buff and singed debuff on Hodir scales frost strikes. Opening recount after our kills show our frost dks with back to back to back to back to back to back 57k Frost strike crits. Its completely ridiculous. Its just one of those fights that fits that particular spec very well.
Heh, while the Frost DK Scales extremely well there.
It functions even better during the yogg fight, considering its stop and pop the entire time.
Which lends itself better to the buildup of RP for each DPS opening.

I just recently got back into WoW after a two year hiatus but all this new shit is completely overwhelming. Socketed Items, dual speccing, glyphs, heirloom gear, the list goes on. It's like jumping into the middle of the ocean after just learning how to swim. Anyone have tips for someone like me?

Macattk15

Macattk15 said:
Not selling my account currently but I am a little curious ...

How much do you guys think an account with both these characters on it would run?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Sikar
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Sicar

Some people from my guild have been selling their accounts as of late due to extreme boredom but they are only getting like $200 for one pretty damn well geared character (talking 4pc t8.5 and ulduar loots aplenty)

I remember when I sold my Alliance warrior WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in TBC SSC/TK days ... I sold it for $1500 ... no joke.

Ahhh no one answered me! No one has any idea? :(

Xabora

Hellsing321 said:
I just recently got back into WoW after a two year hiatus but all this new shit is completely overwhelming. Socketed Items, dual speccing, glyphs, heirloom gear, the list goes on. It's like jumping into the middle of the ocean after just learning how to swim. Anyone have tips for someone like me?
Take it bit by bit, or just dive into WoWWiki for a few hours like I had to do with EVE Online. (EvE Wiki for it)

Also my current most UI: http://xs841.xs.to/xs841/09306/wowscrnshot_072509_150253373.jpg
Still not done, but getting there.

Rhino

So GAF what server do most of you play on? I'm getting back into WoW after FINALLY getting a char to lvl 55 so I want to roll a DK and play with some Gaffers :D

Also should I spec Blood, Frost or Unholy?

yacobod

Banned
Macattk15 said:
Ahhh no one answered me! No one has any idea? :(

ya acct prices have plummeted in wotlk, even back in BC it was pretty easy to get 500-600 for a character

200-300 seems reasonable, i think the big problem is how easy the content is now & how easy it is to pug shit, idk

Rhino said:
So GAF what server do most of you play on? I'm getting back into WoW after FINALLY getting a char to lvl 55 so I want to roll a DK and play with some Gaffers :D

Also should I spec Blood, Frost or Unholy?

Don't roll DK. You'll regret it. I managed to roll one right when WotLK came out and managed to get into a decent raiding guild. But now, NO ONE wants DK's let alone Melee dps for that matter.

Chris R

Hellsing321 said:
Pick whatever class you like and get it to 80 first before worrying about any of that stuff. You won't be able to get heirloom gear on a new account right away, socketing items doesn't really come into play until 80 (although you can get sick ass pants with 3 socket slots in Outlands that will last forever if you just socket them with the correct crap wotlk gems :lol ) You probably wouldn't have 1k spare gold at level 40 either so dual speccing is out, and as for glyphs that really depends on what class and spec you choose.

StormyTheRabbit said:
Don't roll DK. You'll regret it. I managed to roll one right when WotLK came out and managed to get into a decent raiding guild. But now, NO ONE wants DK's let alone Melee dps for that matter.

TELL me about it. Too many DKs and Pallys. My fresh Enhancement Shaman basically only gets a slot in most Pugs to pop bloodlust :| other than that, its LF TANKS HEALS AND RANGED DPS :lol

edit: and finally anyone having issues with the background downloader? I left it on all last night and had downloaded ~800KB :lol Same thing today, but it is already at 1.3MB downloaded. Never had an issue before with the downloaded :|

yacobod

Banned
StormyTheRabbit said:
But now, NO ONE wants DK's let alone Melee dps for that matter.

eh i think this depends on the server, on higher pop servers you should be fine, as there are probably tons of guilds

So, I have an addon that lets me turn my camera like 720 degrees in any direction. Allowing me to do flips on my drake and such without using the key tricks...

Well...I do it in Naxx today and look what is still under Naxx when isntanced:

wowscrnshot_072509_195814534.jpg

Lazy Blizzard lol

StormyTheRabbit said:
So, I have an addon that lets me turn my camera like 720 degrees in any direction. Allowing me to do flips on my drake and such without using the key tricks...

Lazy Blizzard lol

:lol That's great...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
funkmastergeneral said:
Hey guys I was wondering how much dps I should be doing at my gear level, with all raid buffs except the feral druid crit aura. I was pushing a little over 5k last night but my GM said I should be hitting at least 6k dps -_- This is my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Tuffghost

do you think he's asking too much?
On a shaman I would think yes. I don't know the specifics, but most of the hybrid classes aren't really set up to do that kind of sustained damage unless at pretty extreme gear levels.

Where do you see yourself coming out on the damage meters?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Now on the PTR:

Quote from Blizzard staff
Death Knight (3.1 Skills List / 3.1 Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Blood

* Blood Strike now has its total damage increased by 12.5% for each of your diseases on the target. (Down from 25%)

Hunter (3.1 Skills List / 3.1 Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Survival

* Explosive Trap now lasts for 30 sec. (Down from 1 min)

Paladin (3.1 Skills List / 3.1 Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Holy

* Exorcism now deals damage to any enemy target instead of non-player enemy targets only.
2mi2pm0.jpg

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Remember in Dungeon Keeper where you could go into first person with one of the peons? That's what the first person view in WoW reminds me of.

StormyTheRabbit said:

Lazy Blizzard lol

Yeah, I saw that once while doing Killing Spree near a wall in there.

yacobod said:
ya acct prices have plummeted in wotlk, even back in BC it was pretty easy to get 500-600 for a character

200-300 seems reasonable, i think the big problem is how easy the content is now & how easy it is to pug shit, idk

Damn. Really? I was thinking about selling mine after quitting a few weeks ago but I guess I won't if they are selling that low.

I'm sure I'll end up coming back at some point anyway.

Chris R

ILOVEASIANS said:
Damn. Really? I was thinking about selling mine after quitting a few weeks ago but I guess I won't if they are selling that low.

I'm sure I'll end up coming back at some point anyway.
They will come up in the months prior to the next exp so people can start it right away.

Puck

Banned
Ok, i have just completed a 3 week stint playing my friends paladin while i was working FT during my uni holidays (return tomorrow), and wow. WOTLK totally sucks.
There's no hook in the game anymore. Seriously. I played the shit out of vanilla and BC and was thoroughly addicted when I shouldn't have been. I raided 3-4 nights a week for mc->naxx in vanilla on multiple servers on multiple level 60's and raided on 3 different oceanic servers for majority of server firsts in BC.
The main reason why it sucks, is because there isn't any intimacy. It's all pug shit. The only content that requires a guild is 25 ulduar, and i see quite a few groups pugging that. There's no intimacy because there isn't any difficulty. There's no cockblocks, no attunements, no difficulty - everything is so easily accesible. I don't see a reason to be in a guild. It's so easy to get into a "raid" and be carried (especially voa/eoe/os/naxx (both 10/25 for them)). Gearing up is so simple,

Puck said:
Ok, i have just completed a 3 week stint playing my friends paladin while i was working FT during my uni holidays (return tomorrow), and wow. WOTLK totally sucks.
There's no hook in the game anymore. Seriously. I played the shit out of vanilla and BC and was thoroughly addicted when I shouldn't have been. I raided 3-4 nights a week for mc->naxx in vanilla on multiple servers on multiple level 60's and raided on 3 different oceanic servers for majority of server firsts in BC.
The main reason why it sucks, is because there isn't any intimacy. It's all pug shit. The only content that requires a guild is 25 ulduar, and i see quite a few groups pugging that. There's no intimacy because there isn't any difficulty. There's no cockblocks, no attunements, no difficulty - everything is so easily accesible. I don't see a reason to be in a guild. It's so easy to get into a "raid" and be carried (especially voa/eoe/os/naxx (both 10/25 for them)). Gearing up is so simple,

Pretty much nailed it. I came back to playing a bit after a long hiatus and was amazed at how quick I could catch up with my guildies as far as gear goes. I pugged a naxx 25 the other night and there was not one wipe and instead of being happy about it I was like "wait...what?"

Weenerz

Banned
Puck said:

So you cleared all hard-modes with your magical pug and got your proto-drake? Didn't think so. Keep riding the "Hate WoW because it's so easy but I haven't cleared all of the content" bandwagon.

profit

Puck said:

While it may be true that everything gets pugged lately, but how many pugs do you think that actually clears the instance?
On my server (Kul Tiras EU) there are pugs constantly, but I've never ran with a pug that was able to clear one wing in Naxx...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom