• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So what is the "source" wow.com is using?

I can't say that Worgens are a particularly inspired choice, especially given that Furblogs are awesome

Entropia

No One Remembers
Not sure where wow.com is getting their info, however this one person whose blog I read/follow on Twitter posted today:

Ferarro Can finally say it: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm will have Alliance Worgens and Horde Goblins! Now for my Pally Worgen to commence...

She actually has a pretty good track record on this stuff.

Belfast

It's not beyond possibility that Goblins and Worgen are new races, but I hate how Wow.com is just jumping to conclusions. The sources they cite seem no more informed than the rest of us, really.

Tamanon

Banned
Belfast said:
It's not beyond possibility that Goblins and Worgen are new races, but I hate how Wow.com is just jumping to conclusions. The sources they cite seem no more informed than the rest of us, really.

I dunno, it's been about three weeks or so since the initial reports of Goblin/Worgen, this would hardly be considered jumping to conclusions.:lol

Belfast

Tamanon said:
I dunno, it's been about three weeks or so since the initial reports of Goblin/Worgen, this would hardly be considered jumping to conclusions.:lol

Well, even that was conjecture on MMO-Champion's part. It's not necessarily untrue, but this just feels like one of those cases where the blogosphere perpetuates something unverified for hits.

We already went through this speculation and all that WoW.com has to offer is that some other, completely unknown sources told them it's for realz. I guess there's not much to say, though, since they're probably right and I don't anticipate them having egg on their faces when Cataclysm is officially unveiled.

It's just the shady way in which they're going about it.

Kyoufu

firex said:
why would they add 2 new classes? The TBC races added "new" classes (pre-existing ones, but formerly faction exclusive) to each faction but that doesn't mean they have to come up with new classes for new races.

Well they have to add SOMETHING to make me or the people who cancelled their subs to come back and play the new races.

Like I said already, when they added new races in TBC, they gave them incentives (Paladin for Horde, Shaman for Alliance) so what will they do this time? Nothing? That doesn't really make me want to reroll or a friend of mine to renew his subscription.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kyoufu said:
Well they have to add SOMETHING to make me or the people who cancelled their subs to come back and play the new races.

Like I said already, when they added new races in TBC, they gave them incentives (Paladin for Horde, Shaman for Alliance) so what will they do this time? Nothing? That doesn't really make me want to reroll or a friend of mine to renew his subscription.
Probably a new class that starts at level 60+.

Nothing will draw people to resub to the game other than new classes at this point. The truth is, races are just skins. It's not *really* a draw for any other than those that already were playing. When Belfs and Draenai showed up, they were LIKE new classes, because for the most part very few players start alts on different servers and faction because they want to give themselves money, etc.

Tamanon

Banned
The alternative is that they could make the new races start at 55/60 for any class.:lol

I just assume there'll be a new healer/dps hero class.

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
So what is the "source" wow.com is using?

I can't say that Worgens are a particularly inspired choice, especially given that Furblogs are awesome
Same source they used before.
A Blizz employee when the got the patch date correct long before it became official.

Tamanon

Banned
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=19110293530&sid=1&pageNo=7#127

I don't know that I would say we want tanking niches. I ultimately am agreeing with what you're saying, but once we say "tanking niches" players have visions of the DK who parks outside of Icecrown until boss 4, 17 and 31 (yes, IC is that big).

I totally agree that no tank can be the worst at everything. What you have to remember though is that "everything"​ is generally defined as the current raid content. Coliseum isn't a large raid. If there are 5 bosses and 4 tanks then it seems that even in the best case that someone might be "the best" on 2 of them and everyone else is "the best" on 1. (And honestly, we don't design raid encounters with that goal in mind -- they have enough constraints on them already.)

Again, the goal is "close enough" and the mushiness of that definition is intended. For some groups, having a tank that is "5% harder to heal" (whatever that means) is acceptable and perhaps not even detectable. We just need to avoid the extreme situation where the guild that feels gimp because their MT is a paladin (or whatever) and paladins have a lot of liabilities on the current raid content to the extent where that player is getting replaced on more than just a couple of fights. (And I should add by knowledgeable raid leadership, and not just the Naxx pug guy that read on the forums that bears are the best tank and so only accepts bears.)

Holy fuck, that's a lot of bosses in Icecrown. I wonder if it might be released over two patches.

ACE 1991 said:
So is the argent tournament "the" place for dailies? I need some dough.

Yeah. A lot of other dailies in Ice Crown too that you could knock out at the same time. It's where I went when I was doing dailies, made 275-300g a day.

ACE 1991 said:
So is the argent tournament "the" place for dailies? I need some dough.

I have a special place in my heart for Troll Patrol at Argent Stand. It takes about 12 minutes and at 80 is worth about 70g. Plus I was exalted with the Argent Crusade long before the tournament existed :lol

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
b.e.r.g said:
Maybe horde and alliance gets goblins :eek:

I've seen some people speculating that any new playable races would be like a mercenary and you can choose a faction. Sounds neat but I kinda doubt it would happen.

firex

I've come to the conclusion that I am completely burned out on my shaman, because this patch is full of awesome changes for him but I can't even stand to log in to him.

ACE 1991

emomoonbase said:
I've seen some people speculating that any new playable races would be like a mercenary and you can choose a faction. Sounds neat but I kinda doubt it would happen.

Really? why would you doubt that? I could totally see that as an addition.

Angry Grimace

I've come to the conclusion there is an entire class of players who play for the purpose of yelling at other players and getting out aggression by saying how awesome they are and shitty everyone else is :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If Goblins and Worgen are true, we better be getting Furbolgs next expansion. Need another race that can be Shaman and Druid.

Evlar

Banned
speedpop said:
If Goblins and Worgen are true, we better be getting Furbolgs next expansion. Need another race that can be Shaman and Druid.
:lol Good point. My first thoughtless impulse was to say it's possible that goblins or worgen could be druids but... yeah, that's pretty much out of the question.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Kintaro said:
So, if Goblins are Horde, would that change the affiliation of Goblin towns/cities? How would Worgen be Alliance...perhaps you're actually human, then when it's full moon in game you transform? =D

Weren't there some worgen that were loosely associated with the alliance (or trying to get closer to them) in Grizzly Hills? I vaguely remember a horde quest chain there that seemed to be suggesting such.

In other news, I managed to get my achievement for finishing Occulus on heroic today running a pug. It was pretty much smooth sailing until the final boss where we wiped a couple of times since myself and one other had never been there before. Probably not such a hot idea to have us in charge of the amber drakes, but oh well. Everything went great on the third go at it. Might not seem like much to the Ulduar and Up crowd, but I was dreading running that instance given how touch and go pugs can be. Glad it's done now! :D

Evlar

Banned
Mr Nash said:
Weren't there some worgen that were loosely associated with the alliance (or trying to get closer to them) in Grizzly Hills? I vaguely remember a horde quest chain there that seemed to be suggesting such.

In other news, I managed to get my achievement for finishing Occulus on heroic today running a pug. It was pretty much smooth sailing until the final boss where we wiped a couple of times since myself and one other had never been there before. Probably not such a hot idea to have us in charge of the amber drakes, but oh well. Everything went great on the third go at it. Might not seem like much to the Ulduar and Up crowd, but I was dreading running that instance given how touch and go pugs can be. Glad it's done now! :D
No, evil worgen had "turned" some early human pioneers in Grizzly Hills. The Alliance were trying to get their aid but didn't realize they were worgen. Ally players have a quest chain that culminates in racing back to the stronghold to tell the captain what they are and the worgen chasing you down, and in the final dialogue the captain vows to wipe them out. After that point all of the hidden worgen faction turns from neutral to hostile.

So tonight Sraza and I started as ...

Me (Paladin) Lvl 47
Him (Hunter) Lvl 48

We finished tonight at Lvl 54 me and Lvl 55 him.

Awesome. :D I'm gonna go from 1-60 in less than a week it looks like.. which is crazy.

ACE 1991 said:
Really? why would you doubt that? I could totally see that as an addition.

Blizzard has always said that the character silhouette is important to PvP. If you see a gnome in the distance you know it's Alliance, and if you see a Tauren you know it's Horde. Having races that can play either faction would be in defiance of one of their stated goals for WOW racial designs.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
After getting my rogue to 60, I thought I'd start a priest before buying BC. It's so hard playing this class, I feel like I'm dying at least once every 5 mobs. But I started playing battlegrounds with my priest, now at lvl 14, and it's really fun. Plus it's good practice for getting better at PVE. I'm getting so many marks of honor, I wish I would have started BGs this early with my rogue.

Angry Grimace

jim-jam bongs said:
Blizzard has always said that the character silhouette is important to PvP. If you see a gnome in the distance you know it's Alliance, and if you see a Tauren you know it's Horde. Having races that can play either faction would be in defiance of one of their stated goals for WOW racial designs.
That is total nonsense. In a bunch of armor I doubt you're going to know Goblin from Gnome.

Angry Grimace said:
That is total nonsense. In a bunch of armor I doubt you're going to know Goblin from Gnome.

So it's fact that the new races are Goblin and Worgen then? It's fact that the specific goblin "species" will be the same as the ones that make up The Steamwheedle Cartel?

Call it nonsense all you like, Bllizzard has stated it previously. And if it turns out that goblins are in I'm certain that they will look quite distinct from gnomes.

Tamanon

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

I think they only apply the silhouette concept to opposing factions, since you can tell which is which in PvP by your cursor or their name color. Otherwise Blood Elves would look different.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
emomoonbase said:
It kinda makes sense. I could see it as a evolution of the Death Knight concept, starting out as a lone wolf and then working your way into one faction or the other. It could make for an awesome quest line, dynamically choosing what faction you want to work towards joining.

firex

honestly I kind of wish there was no horde/alliance division. That way everybody could kill night elf anything and blood elf DKs.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
LAUGHTREY said:
...That's the point. You wouldn't know if its on your side or not.

I've played alliance for the more-part of my raiding days of WoW and I can honestly say that I've never met a gnome who was on my side.

firex said:
honestly I kind of wish there was no horde/alliance division. That way everybody could kill night elf anything and blood elf DKs.

This.

Seriously though, there is a big difference in even the BE and NE silhouettes; size being the most obvious one. When TBC was being discussed the stated reason that High Elves weren't added as the Alliance race is that they would be all but indistinguishable from blood elves in PvP.

Of course it's possible to check the nameplate and what your cursor does when you mouse over them, but the silhouette concept is supposed to mean that you don't have to in a fast-paced battle.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
jim-jam bongs said:
This.

Seriously though, there is a big difference in even the BE and NE silhouettes; size being the most obvious one. When TBC was being discussed the stated reason that High Elves weren't added as the Alliance race is that they would be all but indistinguishable from blood elves in PvP.

Of course it's possible to check the nameplate and what your cursor does when you mouse over them, but the silhouette concept is supposed to mean that you don't have to in a fast-paced battle.

I can easily tell nelfs from belfs, the only problem with belfs I have and I'm not joking here; is if they're male or female.

Daante

I dont like the fact that they dont have exclusive classes combined with a faction. I thought it was cooler back in the days where Alliance had Paladin and Horde had Shamans. Also it was better from a lore perspective.

What my point being is that whatever faction you decide to play i think it should offer unique and diffrent classes compared to the other faction.

Also i think the game would benefit if they implemented some sort of age-restriction on certain servers.

firex

Daante said:
I dont like the fact that they dont have exclusive classes combined with a faction. I thought it was cooler back in the days where Alliance had Paladin and Horde had Shamans. Also it was better from a lore perspective.

What my point being is that whatever faction you decide to play i think it should offer unique and diffrent classes compared to the other faction.

Also i think the game would benefit if they implemented some sort of age-restriction on certain servers.
on paper it sounds good, but in theory this is how it worked in vanilla WoW:
Horde was massively underpowered in raiding because shamans were flat out worse for raids than paladins back then.
Alliance had a slight pvp disadvantage because paladins didn't bring burst damage with WF and WF totem (and the dps increase horde had back then in raiding didn't counteract the 30% dps increase every alliance dps class got from the old blessing of salvation, or the 10% stamina/intellect increase every tank/healer got from kings, or the boatload of mp5 every healer got from wisdom).

To try and put the factions on equal footing, they had to give halfass versions of different buffs to each of the "unique" classes and the end result was they were going to wind up doing the same things if they kept it up. So instead they decided to find a way to allow paladins/shamans for both sides and the end result is much better balanced pve and pvp content.

It's really hard to complain about unique and different classes when instead you get 60+ levels of unique quests (not counting the stretch of neutral goblin stuff in STV/Tanaris/Winterspring).

Woohoo we finally got our priest his legendary mace (yeah yeah I know post-nerf, we were let down too we couldn't get it).
3810547107_a8ab3a684e.jpg

Needless to say the proc is pretty cool in addition to being OP
3811363136_0d126fbaf5.jpg

...and now a few other fun pictures.

After being burned with my hunter's worgen pet I throw one back at blizz, wolf paladins!
3810547089_1eba97e907.jpg

Moonkins just crack me up
3811363154_c185a3287a.jpg

Fun with Slow Fall
3811363190_d07280fdc1.jpg

Hodir doesn't seem amused
3810547159_ecedeb1714.jpg

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Manick Joe said:
Woohoo we finally got our priest his legendary mace (yeah yeah I know post-nerf, we were let down too we couldn't get it).

I would have had mine yesterday if we would have had our best dps with us. But basicly it all boiled down to not having any of our 4 rogues online and serveral of our top dps missing. So we ended up wiping on Ph1 and Ph2 the whole night. It was basicly so fail that we managed to get a person insane during Ph1. Truely an epic achievement in failure.

I'm so happy I can extend the lockout for another week. No noone can show up for farm raids and bail for harder raids. Soon I will post a pic of my pally wielding that mace. Soon. Hopefully after tonight. But most likely on thursday.

Macattk15

kinoki said:
I would have had mine yesterday if we would have had our best dps with us. But basicly it all boiled down to not having any of our 4 rogues online and serveral of our top dps missing. So we ended up wiping on Ph1 and Ph2 the whole night. It was basicly so fail that we managed to get a person insane during Ph1. Truely an epic achievement in failure.

I'm so happy I can extend the lockout for another week. No noone can show up for farm raids and bail for harder raids. Soon I will post a pic of my pally wielding that mace. Soon. Hopefully after tonight. But most likely on thursday.

Are you leaving Freya up? Is that why someone went insane? Or do they just fail hard? We tried for a long time leaving Mimiron up .... didn't work out so well for us. The first day we change it to Freya, we one shot Yogg+3.

I finally got my 30th fragment (off Yogg) yesterday so I'll get mine this week. They nerfed Yogg pretty hard so I'm not sure why you guys were having problems. I'm undecided whether to not use Mimiron or Hodir. Probably Hodir.

Ralys

Banned
Just hit 80 and kinda lost. What do I do now? Just Heroics? Is there any heroics I CAN'T do as a new 80?

I miss vanilla wow and level 60 raiding and farming tyrs hand for hours and killing the gold farmers :(. WHeres the gold farmers now a days? :(

I wish they'd open a vanilla wow server :(

ACE 1991

Ralys said:
Just hit 80 and kinda lost. What do I do now? Just Heroics? Is there any heroics I CAN'T do as a new 80?

I miss vanilla wow and level 60 raiding and farming tyrs hand for hours and killing the gold farmers :(. WHeres the gold farmers now a days? :(

THIS.

Sadly, blizzard has vehemently stated that it will never happen. *sigh*

FLEABttn

Banned
Ralys said:

Normals, heroics, raids, arena, BG's. If you're DPS, there's not heroic you can't do really, especially if the rest of your group has the appropriate gear. If you're a healer or tank, ToC, UP, HoL and maybe HoS will give you issues. Occulus as well maybe, not sure, I haven't done Occulus in months.

Gold farmers are now herbing or hacking your account and jacking your gold.

Vanilla is overrated. Take off the rose-tinted glasses you guys.

Ralys

Banned
Just rosetinted views of MC for me. I loved my old guild and would give anything to go back in time to back then.

I'm a DPS. So far i've done H VH, H HoS so I can keep up, just some douches say stuff like "sorry I want geared people".

The biggest change from vanilla WOW and now a days WOW is the amount of retarded people. I get people going 'Can you make me a port?" or "Can you wear mail?" and i'm a warlock. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom