• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ralys said:
The biggest change from vanilla WOW and now a days WOW is the amount of retarded people. I get people going 'Can you make me a port?" or "Can you wear mail?" and i'm a warlock. :/

I used to get "Can I get a port?" all the time in vanilla Wow, and I was a druid! Don't even get me started on barrens chat.

FLEABttn

Banned
Ralys said:
I'm a DPS. So far i've done H VH, H HoS so I can keep up, just some douches say stuff like "sorry I want geared people".

The biggest change from vanilla WOW and now a days WOW is the amount of retarded people. I get people going 'Can you make me a port?" or "Can you wear mail?" and i'm a warlock. :/

The "sorry, I want geared people" thing has two purposes. One, it tries to weed out bads by using the assumption that, if you have gear, you're not completely stupid and possibly have some sense or idea as what to do. The other is, geared people can make the heroic quicker and easier for everyone. You can cut the time required to do a heroic in half or less if you bring geared people (who know what to do).

I haven't felt a decline in stupidity because I felt that you couldn't get any lower than 0. The vast majority of WoW players have always been dumb.

So I joined a guild and the wonderful world of raiding in WoW last week. Only doing 10-man stuff ATM as that's all that we can fill.

We blow through Naxx and VoA. We did Sarth 0D np as well.

Been doing Ulduar and after numerous wipes we finally got our crap together and took down Auriaya. Awesome feeling lemme tell you.

It's fun to progress as a guild, although it can be frustrating (after numerous wipes we gave up on Ignis last night).

My boomkin isn't doing as well on the DPS chart as he should, I'm just being sloppy on my rotation and cooldown usage I think.

Overall it's pretty fun so far.

VaLiancY said:
Any tips on DK tanking? I'm going to start tanking so I can farm heroics a lot faster then being invited as a DPS.

It's almost exactly like DPSing as a DK (single target anyway). Just use tanking gear and tanking talents. AoE tanking is different depending on what tree you chose (I prefer frost for AoE but unholy is good too).

So does anyone know if the new round in the Coliseum is up now? I am interested to see how the next phase is. That instance is pretty cool I must admit. It's great not having to fight through wave upon wave of trash.

The Dark One

Macattk15

DarkMage619 said:
So does anyone know if the new round in the Coliseum is up now? I am interested to see how the next phase is. That instance is pretty cool I must admit. It's great not having to fight through wave upon wave of trash.

The Dark One

I believe the next boss up is that Lord Jarraxus(sp?) guy?

PatzCU

DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One

Whoa. Ok so I barely keep up with the PVE stuff in this game. What's the deal with 'rounds' in the Coliseum? I thought the new instance was simply X amount of fights back to back until the end. Is it just one boss per week in a rotation?

Tamanon

Banned
PatzCU said:
Whoa. Ok so I barely keep up with the PVE stuff in this game. What's the deal with 'rounds' in the Coliseum? I thought the new instance was simply X amount of fights back to back until the end. Is it just one boss per week in a rotation?

It starts with one boss fight, then slowly they add more and more.

PatzCU said:

I think the PVP stuff is pretty cool but if it wasn't for the PVE content I would have quit long ago. I suppose I love the idea of fighting giant monsters with a team.

The Dark One

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Finally. I'm done. I have the mace. Hurray. Finally I can reroll Retribution in time for the legendary 2H which will (most likely) drop from Icecrown.

29455xz.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
kinoki said:
Finally. I'm done. I have the mace. Hurray. Finally I can reroll Retribution in time for the legendary 2H which will (most likely) drop from Icecrown.
You took all the shards so that you could put it in your bank and and go roll Ret? :lol

Angry Grimace said:
You took all the shards so that you could put it in your bank and and go roll Ret? :lol

WAT

I'm disc anyway but that mace is seriously hot. The thought of someone getting it then going ret makes me a very sad panda.

That mace looks crappy, fuck it. bring back more physical dps legendaries. At least it's not just a stack stick for them. Thunderfury/Hand of Rag/Blades/Thoridal all look awesome. That mace and Atiesh were silly looking.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jim-jam bongs said:
WAT

I'm disc anyway but that mace is seriously hot. The thought of someone getting it then going ret makes me a very sad panda.
Loot Whorism at it's finest :lol

Angry Grimace

border said:
Are people expecting Arthas to drop Frostmourne as a legendary item?
I don't think it will happen, but even if it did, I wouldn't expect a straight drop. Blizzard seems to have returned to the idea that Legendaries should take absurd amounts of effort and time to make.

There's a guy on my server that makes sure to reequip his Warglaives of Azzinoth everytime he enters Dalaran. :lol

firex

I think there will be a different runeblade that drops off Baron Rivendare or some other new DK boss in Icecrown, and upon completing the instance you get to purify it. Either that or it'll be another new legendary collected piece by piece.

Angry Grimace

Entropia said:
The Ashbringer...
Corrupted%20Ashrbinger.jpg

Speaking of Mimiron, he's not as difficult as people were making it out to be, but virtually impossible to one-shot. The only thing "hard" about it is people not dying to stupid shit that kills you in one hit; i.e. Land Mines/Shock Blast.

Magnus

Manick Joe said:
Just curious, but how many (if at all) hard modes do you try?

None really; we've yet to tackle anything but Hodir, XT and Leviathan 3 Towers. We weren't sure at first if hard mode bosses were likelier to drop fragments. I know Armory suggests a higher chance though.

The leading Alliance guild is building their second one (I think they're already at 20 fragments toward their second mace), and they told me they noticed no increase in frequency when doing hard modes.

I'm so angry, hahaha. I'm hoping a whole wackload of them drop tonight and tomorrow....we'll see.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
jim-jam bongs said:
WAT

I was actually being sarcastic. I've never enjoyed being dps in a raid so. I've always tanked or healed. It feels so nice now, the morning after. Knowing you don't have to have the absurd 100% raid attendance I've had now for the last 2 months. It's nice I can finally prioritize my new job for once. ^^

Negator

Angry Grimace said:
Speaking of Mimiron, he's not as difficult as people were making it out to be, but virtually impossible to one-shot. The only thing "hard" about it is people not dying to stupid shit that kills you in one hit; i.e. Land Mines/Shock Blast.

The thing is there's so much out to get you. Shock Blasts, Land Mines, Napalm Shells, Spin-Up, Rockets, Bomb bots....

It gets even more ridiculous on hard mode. In addition to all that, you have to kite the fire to 'good' positions otherwise fire will be everywhere and you will be unable to move. That combined with the strict enrage timer, additional frost bomb to worry about as well the huge damage increase is just....painful. With all that stuff that can potentially one-shot you, to make the enrage you have to have nearly everyone up for phase 4, and that won't happen unless everyone is on the ball.

Our first hard mode kill was ridiculous. 4 people alive, enrage timer blowing everyone up, Head at 0%, Middle at 1%, Tank at 0%, two shadow priests using dispersion and letting dots finish Mimiron off.

kinoki

Magnus said:
8 bosses down in Ulduar in a short raid tonight. Guess what, no fragments. Kill me. lol

I've been where you are now. Relax, take deep breaths. The wait will be even harder once you reach 30 and your guild has to grow brains and be able to kill Yogg-Saron. Not to mention the amount of stressed you'll be once you're in Ph3 and you have to survive long enough to throw in the fragments... or did you, so you throw them again, and again, but are you sure you did? So you throw them again. Then after throwing them 4 times you start asking yourself "is there any chance we can wipe now?" and you feel how tears start building up in your eyes when you see one tank die and a feral druid shifts into bear form to help the overburdened loudmouth *cough* I mean protection warrior.

kinoki

Xabora said:
Time to get some cards and a deck made.
And yes, I solo Jotun from time to time.

If I had to guess that addon with the icons for procs is custom-made, yea? Well, I need something like that to keep track of my Val'Anyr-procs. ^^

kinoki said:
I was actually being sarcastic. I've never enjoyed being dps in a raid so. I've always tanked or healed. It feels so nice now, the morning after. Knowing you don't have to have the absurd 100% raid attendance I've had now for the last 2 months. It's nice I can finally prioritize my new job for once. ^^

Phew!

I know what you mean, I raided as a hunter in classic then got sick of the game and cancelled my subscription. Spent 14 weeks at 16 hours a week in BWL to get this:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=19368

Which I only really wanted because I was a dorf and it looked really cool...

I too found the deeps game ultimately unsatisfying. When I hit 80 on my priest I did some raiding shadow then changed spec for a laugh and loved it. Now my dual-spec on my priest is Holy/Disc, and I'm about to have a new 80 for tanking with (durid).

Xabora

kinoki said:
If I had to guess that addon with the icons for procs is custom-made, yea? Well, I need something like that to keep track of my Val'Anyr-procs. ^^
Both yes and no.
Its another addon that I had to once again modify, because the author has not updated it ages.

Going to do an overhaul on it soon.

I posted the screenshot mostly due to the insane strength in my character portrait self buffed.

kinoki

jim-jam bongs said:
Phew!

I know what you mean, I raided as a hunter in classic then got sick of the game and cancelled my subscription. Spent 14 weeks at 16 hours a week in BWL to get this:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=19368

Which I only really wanted because I was a dorf and it looked really cool...

I too found the deeps game ultimately unsatisfying. When I hit 80 on my priest I did some raiding shadow then changed spec for a laugh and loved it. Now my dual-spec on my priest is Holy/Disc, and I'm about to have a new 80 for tanking with (durid).

I started out as a hunter too in vanilla. Until one day when I boosted my gf's priest in Hinterlands and Wall of the Dead dropped. Second BoE epic that dropped for me, the first was Bow of Searing Arrows which I got at level 38 from a pirate in STV. I then realised the epics was speaking to me from beyond the 1's and 0's, so the very same day I rolled a protection warrior.

Xabora said:
Both yes and no.
Its another addon that I had to once again modify, because the author has not updated it ages.

Going to do an overhaul on it soon.

If you feel confident in having a beta-tester or what not I really need such an addon right now. Tried healing ToC10 with my mace and only managed to use my shields effectively twice during the whole first encounter. It was a test-run in many ways but an addon to monitor the proc would be great.

Xabora

kinoki said:
If you feel confident in having a beta-tester or what not I really need such an addon right now. Tried healing ToC10 with my mace and only managed to use my shields effectively twice during the whole first encounter. It was a test-run in many ways but an addon to monitor the proc would be great.
Considering your mace has its own targets with the buff, your best bet is to use something like DoTimer.
The one I use is self only.

kinoki

Xabora said:
Considering your mace has its own targets with the buff, your best bet is to use something like DoTimer.
The one I use is self only.

It's the self-only I want. I don't care too much about how long the shield lasts on other targets. Basicly the proc Blessing of Ancient Kings lights up on my buffbar but in the heat of the moment I'm not watching the upper right of my screen so I want something to take that icon drag it to the center-ish of the screen so I know when to start building shields.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Broken Frostmourne or underpowered ashbringer. Frostmourne won't make you the lich king, if you kill the lich king he wont be possessing the sword/armor anymore. It will just be a sword. albeit probably a very powerful one.

The thing that sucks though is that if we get Ashbringer it means that Tirion will die also.

Who wants to take shots in the dark of who will actually kill Arthas and with what? I'm betting on Jaina or Darion actually dealing the final blow, and if its Darion he does it with pure ashbringer and (lore only) redeems the death knights.

A lot of people are speculating that we're not going to actually kill him, because that would mean the end of Death Knights and the Forsaken. I don't think that's how it works right? The undead are autonomous, and the Lich King was just sort of put in charge by Kil'jaeden right? The only connection the LK actually had with them was at one point he was in control of their minds, you'd think if he wanted to he could just make them all fall flat and die if he could.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
firex said:
I don't think Arthas would die, but then again I thought Illidan wouldn't die, either.

Whens the last time a raid boss didn't (eventually) die?

If we get a chance at the Lich King, he's too powerful to let live.

kinoki

firex said:
I don't think Arthas would die, but then again I thought Illidan wouldn't die, either.

Just so I can say "I fucking called it" in case it happens I think that when Frostmourne drops it'll be a gray-quality item. Wouldn't that be sweet to just vendor it for a couple of gold?

Kyoufu

kinoki said:
Just so I can say "I fucking called it" in case it happens I think that when Frostmourne drops it'll be a gray-quality item. Wouldn't that be sweet to just vendor it for a couple of gold?

Get some sleep.

mclem

Ralys said:
Just rosetinted views of MC for me. I loved my old guild and would give anything to go back in time to back then.

I don't know how it is for horde, but I suspect it'd be damn near impossible to coax pallies back to how they were back then; we've improved so much since those days. I suspect much the same is true of a number of other races and specs.

Those days are long-gone, and while I do share in the memories, I also do not miss the playstyle from back then.

mclem

kinoki said:
I've been where you are now. Relax, take deep breaths. The wait will be even harder once you reach 30 and your guild has to grow brains and be able to kill Yogg-Saron.

We've killed Yogg (albeit not -1 yet), but we're still only on about 18 fragments. Abysmal luck?

kinoki

mclem said:
I don't know how it is for horde, but I suspect it'd be damn near impossible to coax pallies back to how they were back then; we've improved so much since those days. I suspect much the same is true of a number of other races and specs.

Those days are long-gone, and while I do share in the memories, I also do not miss the playstyle from back then.

What I find the most enjoyable when I talk to friends I've played with for several years is the experience of the care-free exploring of the game mechanics before it got so streamlined. Reckoning bomb, anyone?

When the developers wasn't too busy trying to prevent creative use of game mechanics PvP flourished. PvP is at its most fun when you have two armies fighting to push the other one back (AV comes to mind) where the team with the best cooperation wins out.

On the whole alot of things have gotten alot better with every new patch but there is still that sense of youthful giddyness that's lacking in WotLK. It has become too focused that the only way to progress is through better gear.

Evlar

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
What makes you think that killing Arthas will kill the Lich King?
The last dialogue from Frozen Throne is "You and I are one." Perhaps Nerzhul can be separated from Arthas- it's WoW lore, Blizzard will do whatever serves the story- but there's no reason to believe that will happen. The current state of the lore is that Arthas IS the Lich King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom