• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
evlcookie said:
If the new races are true. I wonder if you can pay the character transform fee into one of them.

My draen priest becomes a worgen, woot!
Nope.
Blizzard said:
Q. Will we be able to switch between the races on our own faction?
A. No. Players will only be able to switch to a race of the opposite faction.

Q. Will I be able to switch back to my original faction but a different race?
A. No. You will only be able to switch back to your originally chosen race.

Duki

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
My question is how they even manage it for people that don't buy the expansion if that's how it goes.

Seems hard to do; I guess they could phase it, but that would be awfully weird.

Maybe it doesn't even change for them? Would be weird but I dunno.

Duki

Banned
They'll probably implement it tbh. Why lose out on free money?

And I mean really now, Tauren Paladins. Can't miss out on that.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Duki said:
And I mean really now, Tauren Paladins. Can't miss out on that.
The only thing laughable about it is how hilarious Tauren look on a horse. I wonder if they'll get a custom steed.. something akin to a massive Clydesdale.

speedpop

Next year for sure.

3.2.2 is on the PTR, and it's practically logical for Icecrown Citadel to be in 3.3 which won't hit for months.

Kweh

So are Shaman's not all that fun to play? I was thinking of levelling one, purely for fun, just for something to do in WoW again.

Arozay

Q. Will we be able to switch between the races on our own faction?
A. No. Players will only be able to switch to a race of the opposite faction.

Q. Will I be able to switch back to my original faction but a different race?
A. No. You will only be able to switch back to your originally chosen race.
Hopefully they change their mindset on this though. Either that or revist racials before everyone is Undead.

HomShaBom said:
It's not real. That's a joke.
Hilarious was probably a bad choice of word.

HomShaBom

Banned
Kweh said:
So are Shaman's not all that fun to play? I was thinking of levelling one, purely for fun, just for something to do in WoW again.
Enhancement is insanely fun. With good gear and knowing rotation you can put out some great dps.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I, for one, really hope that this turns out to be true. Reworking old content while adding new flavour. I'm so getting a dwarf shaman if this turns out to be true. Not to mention my worgen druid.

Biggest thing in favour for this is that it'll utilize the 2 servers that are now only alt storage and AH queues.

speedpop

Kweh said:
They're fun as hell, but playing one for over 5 years straight has its ups and downs.. with the downs being much more highlighted.

firex

Kweh said:
I think any time I have fun with them, I realize there are better/easier classes that are in more demand for any of their roles... and part of why I like those other classes better is that they don't have any mechanics that get old after 80 levels, like totems, or they seem to have easier/better forms of all the unique buffs shamans give except bloodlust.

what I hate is bloodlust has to be a shaman spell, but it's like the crutch that keeps the class coming to raids/groups over giving them some awesome core/spammable abilities. There seems to be no way they can give the shaman any powerful base mechanics because everything has to be balanced around how overpowered bloodlust makes them for 35 seconds.

Won

Kweh said:

Leveling is boring as hell with that class for a long time. Outside of that....I don't know, never got that far. :(

speedpop

What's the best way to get the heirloom items for XP bonus? Currently my only options are to get Shards through Wintergrasp, or do the Argent Tournament dailies.

firex

speedpop said:
What's the best way to get the heirloom items for XP bonus? Currently my only options are to get Shards through Wintergrasp, or do the Argent Tournament dailies.
heroics are the best if you are 80, although if you get stone keeper shards you can buy a weapon and/or shoulders instead. So the most efficient way is some combination of emblems of heroism/champion's seals for a trinket/chest armor (champion's seals requires you be at crusader rank which means exalted sunreavers/argent crusade, and champion of every horde city for the tournament) and stone keeper shards for weapon and/or shoulders.

I tend to prefer pve shoulders over pvp shoulders, but in some cases pvp weapons are really good. Like the caster staff has hit instead of the crit on the emblem staff, which makes it very attractive for leveling any caster dps class even with the resilience and lack of int. And the pvp mh sword is thrash blade, and the proc on that might be way better than the pve heirloom mh sword.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
firex said:
I think any time I have fun with them, I realize there are better/easier classes that are in more demand for any of their roles... and part of why I like those other classes better is that they don't have any mechanics that get old after 80 levels, like totems, or they seem to have easier/better forms of all the unique buffs shamans give except bloodlust.

what I hate is bloodlust has to be a shaman spell, but it's like the crutch that keeps the class coming to raids/groups over giving them some awesome core/spammable abilities. There seems to be no way they can give the shaman any powerful base mechanics because everything has to be balanced around how overpowered bloodlust makes them for 35 seconds.
Yeah, but without Heroism, you'd be just as exciting as a Shadow Priest. :lol

Whenever I do VoA, which we don't go as a guild, the top DPS always seems to be Shadow Priests and Shamans, even though they are allegedly the "worst" DPS classes. My only theory as to why that is is because perhaps people determined to play those classes are willing to put in the work to maximize how they play.

Magnus

I wasn't aware of xp bonus heirlooms being made available by Stone Keeper's Shards. To my knowledge, the only way to get either the xp bonus shoulders or chests is with 40 Emblems of Heroism (everyone has those, unless they've been stupidly dumping them on gems you can already buy for under 200g each) or Champion's Seals, which also take way too long to get to be worth spending imo.

firex

Angry Grimace said:
Yeah, but without Heroism, you'd be just as exciting as a Shadow Priest. :lol

Whenever I do VoA, which we don't go as a guild, the top DPS always seems to be Shadow Priests and Shamans, even though they are allegedly the "worst" DPS classes. My only theory as to why that is is because perhaps people determined to play those classes are willing to put in the work to maximize how they play.
Well what I mean is they shouldn't remove BL, but change it a little and redo the core class mechanics so they feel strong even when BL isn't up. BL should be like rogue cooldowns where you feel overpowered as fuck while they're up, but the class is still really good even when it's not up. I am surprised people say shamans are the worst dps classes though. Enhance is pretty awesome. Maybe more people play elemental now, which is no doubt worse caster dps than mage/warlock but above boomkin/shadow priest, I think (not totally sure on this).

I guess my biggest problem with enhance is it has a boring, though simple rotation. Elemental's rotation is also pretty simple, but thunderstorm is a really fun spell and you get huge crits with it, which makes it appealing to shaman mains at least, as I've noticed any other dps I play gets big number crits too, outside of the enhance shaman (they get tons of crits, but they're all lower for the most part). Both shaman dps specs seem to have more mana issues than shadow priest/boomkin druid/warlock, but are about on par with maybe mages (unless recent changes fix a lot of their mana problems). I think mana issues are probably not a problem in any raid situation since they would get replenishment and all 3 shaman specs use int pretty heavily as a stat (it's like 2nd most important main stat for enhance, primary for resto and ele) but it's still an issue in 5 mans.

I fucking love resto now though. Crit healing for 15k with 1800ish spell power is nice, plus between improved water shield, the healer trinket from ToC, and the soul preserver trinket from regular CoS, I can sometimes cast a healing wave for a net of like single digit mana, or get a free chain heal (even though I'll replace that trinket later).

firex said:
Well what I mean is they shouldn't remove BL, but change it a little and redo the core class mechanics so they feel strong even when BL isn't up. BL should be like rogue cooldowns where you feel overpowered as fuck while they're up, but the class is still really good even when it's not up. I am surprised people say shamans are the worst dps classes though. Enhance is pretty awesome. Maybe more people play elemental now, which is no doubt worse caster dps than mage/warlock but above boomkin/shadow priest, I think (not totally sure on this).

I guess my biggest problem with enhance is it has a boring, though simple rotation. Elemental's rotation is also pretty simple, but thunderstorm is a really fun spell and you get huge crits with it, which makes it appealing to shaman mains at least, as I've noticed any other dps I play gets big number crits too, outside of the enhance shaman (they get tons of crits, but they're all lower for the most part). Both shaman dps specs seem to have more mana issues than shadow priest/boomkin druid/warlock, but are about on par with maybe mages (unless recent changes fix a lot of their mana problems). I think mana issues are probably not a problem in any raid situation since they would get replenishment and all 3 shaman specs use int pretty heavily as a stat (it's like 2nd most important main stat for enhance, primary for resto and ele) but it's still an issue in 5 mans.

I fucking love resto now though. Crit healing for 15k with 1800ish spell power is nice, plus between improved water shield, the healer trinket from ToC, and the soul preserver trinket from regular CoS, I can sometimes cast a healing wave for a net of like single digit mana, or get a free chain heal (even though I'll replace that trinket later).

I get can get full mana every minute using Shamanistic rage, so mana is definitely not an issue for enhancement shaman.

firex

I guess if you use SR on cooldown you won't have mana problems. I almost never do unless I go oom in the middle of a fight but then I also never raid on my shaman.

firex

yeah, I don't think shaman dps is bad, but they have a bad rep in the community apparently. 4 piece t8.5 elemental is nuts though since they get "ignite" for lightning bolt.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Orbitcube said:

You never know, Blizzard may allow it. It wouldn't surprise me.

Elemental Shaman can do good DPS, but as one of the GMs said, Ele Shaman are basically turrets. If you add any mobility (unfortunately a lot of uld fights), your DPS takes a dip...

VaLiancY

firex said:
yeah, I don't think shaman dps is bad, but they have a bad rep in the community apparently. 4 piece t8.5 elemental is nuts though since they get "ignite" for lightning bolt.

I'm a believer in Enhancement DPS after today, they're few and far apart on my server but my guidlie's alt ripped shit apart on 25M Trial of the Crusader.

24qlkyd.jpg

Finally got it tonight.

firex

VaLiancY said:
I'm a believer in Enhancement DPS after today, they're few and far apart on my server but my guidlie's alt ripped shit apart on 25M Trial of the Crusader.
Enhance is really good. just needs to be hit/exp capped and then they are insanely strong since they scale with like 4 different stats/ratings (crit/agi/ap/int).

edit: basically all my shaman dps complaints come more from them having a simple/boring rotation and/or not scaling too well (enhance's rotation bores me but it scales well; ele's rotation bores me and it doesn't seem to scale as well as every other caster). and I still don't like how the class is built around one big crutch of an awesome raid buff.

aktham

VGChampion said:
I'm Horde side so maybe I'll see you in some World PVP. :lol

Crap lol, I played Horde the last 2 times I played wow, so I want a little change this time around. I might just transfer the 80 troll hunter to BL since you can have both fractions on PVP servers now. I might still see ya in world PVP tho :lol

Posted this in the Cataclysm Speculation thread, but I figured it should be here as well. Look at this IM conversation I just got done with. I have to do this daily:

(2:09:20 AM) playforwow: Hello. We are doing 70-80 free powerleveling. You dont need to pay anything for the leveling and we will keep the gold by leveling your account. It is a kind of win-win deal. # We would like to level any dk to 80. Also we would like to rent your 80 accounts. We will offer gold or money or game time or xfer service or some other kind of powerleveling service.
(2:09:26 AM) bizzarreben: OMG NO WAY
(2:09:36 AM) bizzarreben: but seriously, seriously?
(2:10:07 AM) playforwow: Yes. Seriously, seriously.
(2:10:11 AM) bizzarreben: OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
(2:10:16 AM) bizzarreben: WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN MY ENTIRE LIFE??!?!
(2:10:23 AM) bizzarreben: that sounds like a good deal. Would you take it/?
(2:10:41 AM) bizzarreben: I mean if I were you and you were me, would you do it?
(2:10:58 AM) playforwow: Why not
(2:11:06 AM) bizzarreben: OH FUCK. SO DOING IT
(2:11:17 AM) bizzarreben: WHATS YOUR NAME SO THAT I CAN TELL THEM OF THE GREAT SERVICE YOU PROVIDED?
(2:11:52 AM) playforwow: No need
(2:11:56 AM) bizzarreben: no please
(2:11:57 AM) bizzarreben: I insist
(2:12:00 AM) playforwow: Be quite
(2:12:04 AM) bizzarreben: what?
(2:12:08 AM) playforwow: quiet
(2:12:10 AM) bizzarreben: Be quite? Be quite what?
(2:12:13 AM) bizzarreben: PFF
(2:12:17 AM) bizzarreben: NO, I WANNA TELL THEM YOUR NAME
(2:12:18 AM) bizzarreben: GIMME IT
(2:12:20 AM) bizzarreben: PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE
(2:12:34 AM) bizzarreben: Now see here, am I annoying you? You know, messaging you like this, is it annoying?
(2:12:36 AM) playforwow: annoying
(2:12:45 AM) bizzarreben: Wow, now you know how I fucking feel.
(2:12:48 AM) Could not add the buddy playforwow for an unknown reason.
(2:12:48 AM) playforwow: I didnt
(2:13:18 AM) playforwow: When you said no, I would not respond anymore
(2:13:29 AM) bizzarreben: WELL IMMA KEEP RESPONDING
(2:13:32 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:37 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:38 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:38 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:39 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:39 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:40 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:41 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:41 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:42 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:42 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:43 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:43 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:44 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:44 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:45 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:45 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:46 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:46 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:47 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:48 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:48 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:49 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:49 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:50 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:50 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:51 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:51 AM) playforwow: FUCK THE FUCK
(2:13:51 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:52 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:53 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:53 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:54 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:54 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:55 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:55 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:56 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:57 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:57 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:58 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:58 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:13:59 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:00 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:00 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:01 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:01 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:02 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:02 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:03 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:03 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:04 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:05 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:05 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:06 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:06 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:07 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:07 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:08 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:08 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:09 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:09 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:10 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:10 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:11 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:11 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:12 AM) playforwow: STOP, BS.
(2:14:12 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:12 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:13 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:13 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:14 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:14 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:15 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:15 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:16 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:16 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:17 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:17 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:18 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:18 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:19 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:19 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:20 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:20 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:21 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:21 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:22 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:22 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:23 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:24 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:24 AM) bizzarreben: TILL YOU STOP
(2:14:25 AM) Unable to send message: Not logged in

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
cubicle47b said:
24qlkyd.jpg

Finally got it tonight.

Gratz. :)

Like me, you haven't gotten anything to replace that shield with. :p

mclem

Angry Grimace said:
My question is how they even manage it for people that don't buy the expansion if that's how it goes.

Seems hard to do; I guess they could phase it, but that would be awfully weird.

If all this is true, allow me to put my money on the Ocarina of Time method; there will be a quest chain in which all this is explained and 'occurs' (probably with a cutscene, since Wrathgate was so well recieved), and after it you're in the changed world. The old world is still there, and you can travel back to it (Caverns of Time, I'm betting); Characters without the expansion stay in the Old World

I'm still very sceptical of it, mainly for the fact that what you bring up is a significant issue to deal with; however, it's not insurmountable.

Hero

2ly6hcg.jpg

:D

Only took 19 runs for me to get this, I know people who've done over a hundred and don't have it. Next up is Raptor Lord mount!

kinoki

mclem said:
If all this is true, allow me to put my money on the Ocarina of Time method; there will be a quest chain in which all this is explained and 'occurs' (probably with a cutscene, since Wrathgate was so well recieved), and after it you're in the changed world. The old world is still there, and you can travel back to it (Caverns of Time, I'm betting); Characters without the expansion stay in the Old World

I'm still very sceptical of it, mainly for the fact that what you bring up is a significant issue to deal with; however, it's not insurmountable.

Now here is some food for thought.

Imagine this: the introvideo for Cataclysm is the cataclysm itself. Cities getting destroyed, etc, etc. Somewhere there is suspicion of foul play, timewise, and we're sent back to when the cataclysm occurs through a portal in the Caverns of Time. Thus preserving the way the world looked before the event and at the same time finding new meaning for it.

kinoki said:
Gratz. :)

Like me, you haven't gotten anything to replace that shield with. :p

I had the Ice Layered Barrier drop for me about a week before the Illumination nerf was announced and I passed on it for a Shaman we pugged. I'll grab the first Vigilant Ward. My cape needs to be upgraded the worst but we've only seen one Shroud of Alteration and again, it was before the Illumination nerf.

kinoki

cubicle47b said:
I had the Ice Layered Barrier drop for me about a week before the Illumination nerf was announced and I passed on it for a Shaman we pugged. I'll grab the first Vigilant Ward. My cape needs to be upgraded the worst but we've only seen one Shroud of Alteration and again, it was before the Illumination nerf.

My armory is going to show my prot gear but I've also passed the Ice Layered Barrier twice both times to resto shamans. On the plus side we got Thorim Hardmode (25 man) down to 9% last night (yay, progress) so a Wisdom's Hold can be waiting, and I wouldn't say no to the Pride of the Kor'kron (as it's called on horde-side, but that doesn't exist on Wowhead or have I seen it in game) either (or the Bastion of Resolve that's coming next reset from the faction champions).

Oh, yeah, Vigilant Ward is the Alliance shield. I'll pass on Wisdom's Hold / Bastion of Resolve for the Resto / Elemental Shamans until the heroic version drops. Then the gem slot is enough to get me to take it.

kinoki

cubicle47b said:
Oh, yeah, Vigilant Ward is the Alliance shield. I'll pass on Wisdom's Hold / Bastion of Resolve for the Resto / Elemental Shamans until the heroic version drops. Then the gem slot is enough to get me to take it.

I want a holy libram that reads: "Your judgements have a chance to reduce the mana cost of your healing spells by 10% for 12 seconds." And make it a 25% proc chance.

And concerning gear, until I get to where I want to be regen-wise I'm seriously considering only picking up loot with both crit and mp5--where it is a choice. I've grown so tired of haste since all it seems to do is deplete me further.

Wrekt

I just transferred my main to a server with a couple RL friends and I forgot to take all my BoA gear with him. Son of a bitch.

Now to decide if $25 for a second transfer (of a level 45) is worth 155 badges worth of Heirloom items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom