• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZombieSuper: Rogues will out DPS anyone ONE ON ONE, groups its a different situation. The guild im in could use a good rogue, only two others, one of them being at my level. We have some capable shamans too, dont let that change your mind tho. Play who you want. Rogues also level up fast via grind since they can kill FAST. Tho I urge you to follow the path of subtlety instead of combat, thats where you get the REAL rogue skills. Combat rogues are just warriors with higher dodge ;)

ROGUES ROCK FOREVER!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
ZombieSupaStar said:
hey maf im using two chars

my Main mage on shatterd hand PVP server (alliance)
and ALT ???? on gilneas

thing is I hate my priest, im sure they are uber in end game but ugh i level so slow, anywho I was thinking of rolling a shammie or a rogue ( I used to have a level 42 rogue, and I liked the leveling speed)

how does a shammie rate in terms of leveling and dps and just basic playing? In terms of rogue.
OMG SHATTEREDHAND WHO?

ZombieSupaStar said:
hey maf im using two chars

my Main mage on shatterd hand PVP server (alliance)
and ALT ???? on gilneas

thing is I hate my priest, im sure they are uber in end game but ugh i level so slow, anywho I was thinking of rolling a shammie or a rogue ( I used to have a level 42 rogue, and I liked the leveling speed)

how does a shammie rate in terms of leveling and dps and just basic playing? In terms of rogue.

what level is your priest? just keep going, priest are great. once you get mind control things become really fun (level 30). shadow priest is probably one of the best classes in the game.

Rogues - my second favorite class. very fun and enjoyable. and playing a rogue on pvp server is more fun than on a normal imo. The thing about rogues is all thier Talent trees are Great. You have so many options and possiblities to work with. My personally, I went for a Crit build but you can do other builds that work out well. Try to find an All rogue guild on your server. It makes for interesting raids. Sapping a whole town and what not.
Another suggestion id give, if you were going rogue, is to go Herbalist/Alchemist......very helpful in pvp and u wont have to buy swiftthistle (which is expensive)

Shaman - If you wanna beast just about everybody in PvP. get this class. Plus at level 20 u get ghost dog so traveling is alot better for you than other classes except for maybe druid but they get travel form at 30. Seriously, one of the strongest classes in the game and alot of people have trouble defeating them. (if they arent fighting noob shamans) Start out going in the Middle talent tree (forgot what its called, i havent been on my shaman in ages) and restoration trees for leveling, and then Late game switch ur talents to Elemental/Restoration. Make sure you get NS as well, since it will save your life/be why you win a battle sometimes. so youd basically be going 30/0/21 late game.And for professions...Enginnering/mining.
These are just my suggestion tho, Play how you want.

With that said may I make another suggestion?

Druid <----try this class out. This is my most favorite class in the game. As a druid you are basically every class in one. Its just you arent great at everything. But the fun about being druid is using everything together. Druid can be a difficult class to play just cause other classes will probably pwn you alot until you get Feral charge and maxed out Furor (which you Must get...regardless of how you want your talent build to be) . but still it is very fun and very rewarding. With that said, if you do take my suggestion, go for either a feral or restoration build. Balanced blows.

peace

Ferrio

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Oh, Ferrio. In case you haven't figured it out, farming Dark Iron is printing money. I've made so much money doing it on a friend's rogue.

I'd have to give up my current professions, thought alchemy/herb don't net me much I don't wanna hve to level mining, or herbalism again.

We have a range of players. And ask phy, i like to help lower lvls. Kinda like payback to all the mobs that use to whoop me up good! We've got about 8 or 9 50+s. With about 5 or 6 20-30's. 5 or 6 teens. I'll be on later today. Send me a tell( aliventhia). Whats your name on gilneas btw? Oh yeh, and a couple of mid 40's. <--which is where maf is right now. 47ish i think. We're still a pretty young guild at this point, but that only means you can be a big part of us :)

we have plenty of shaman, and priests, rogues. I'd say we are in need of a good mage, or warlock. But honestly, don't worry about what we need, do whatever you have fun with.

edit: if you wana be a rogue, maf can be your mentor :)

Alive - you can use a lot of druids.

If you have a lot of priests and druids in the guild, you'll be able to attract a lot of people based on the fact that the guild has a lot of healers, and hence can mow down the big end-game content easily :).

Mages/Warlocks - you can recruit those easily enough from people within the server.

Priests+Druids though, tough to find.

Alex

You see, people say that, but I can't. I'm so darn slow in WoW, I dunno what I do wrong.

I mean, the Skywall server I have my main on currently, it's less than a month old and has quite a ton of 60's...how?

Maybe I just get distracted too easily while playing solo.

Anyhow, I'll do anything but Mage. I've done Mage four times in a row now, and kinda getting tired of it. I love the class though, although it feels slightly awkward in Instances to me, but enough is enough.

Rogue or Hunter maybe, I kinda wanna catch up, and those classes are just absolute leveling beasts. Problem is there's so many of 'em I don't wanan sabotage my grouping, hmm, what to do what to do.

AeroGod

Its not a PvP server so it really doesnt matter. THey can all gank up and raid a horde city but what for? We dont have to attack back or do anything. ITs all about BGs, where the teams are fair. All the larger alliance population means is that they will have to wait alot longer in line to get into the BGs. :p

Malakhov

Banned
Haha pvp servers are the bomb. I was running my level 24 warrior in ashenvale to do the voodoo troll quest and slay some furlborgs shamans and avengers when I saw a lvl 24 night elf hunter running behind me and I noticed he started following me. So what I did was run in some hills then hide behind a rock, as soon as he got passed me, CHARGE! He wound up stunned then I hit hamstring and there he was done with :lol

Got some pretty good equipment for my lvl, too:

http://thotbott.com/?i=4122
http://thotbott.com/?i=37498
http://thotbott.com/?i=12653 (can only use it when I ding once more but it's in the bank already)
http://thotbott.com/?i=6152
http://thotbott.com/?i=7992

Blackfathom rocks :)

Alex

I haven't heard of some of those Blackfathom bits, reading the links helped shed some light on some new stuff to me. Thanks, Mala. I'd play a PvP server again, but only when they put a new one up so I can level with the crowd, rather than the crowd camping outside a town ready to kill me. =(

xabre

Banned
Shit that's nice loot for lvl24, I have to go back to BFD; you're doing better than I am with some of that stuff and I'm at lvl30. Nice 1 and and 2 handers, and nice chest as well although I think I'd still favour my shining silver breastplate despite its armour disadvantage (215 Amour +24 reinforced, +14STR, +6STA). I primarily dual wield two 17.7 dps axes and all my equiment has a heavy focus on stamina, but I do like that 2h a lot though, better than my deanship claymore.

Edit - Oh yeah, had my first real taste of PvP yesterday (as I play on a PvE server), besides the ocassional duel and being hammered by lvl60 orc druids. I was in Ashenvale on the road heading back to Astrannar when I noticed a lvl26 horde mage going in the opposite direction, he had PvP enabled so I thought screw this and started pounding on him and absolutly wiped him out, but of course I never noticed the lvl33 and lvl31 horde with him...ouch. After I respawned all three teamed up (as well as a native bear) and ganked me in the river. Guess I'll be more careful next time.

Alex

Haven't made a character yet, MAF. I'll do it tommorow I think, I wanna wrap up my log full of late teens quests for my Mage on Skywall first.

I'll probably do Rogue or Warlock.

Malakhov said:
Haha pvp servers are the bomb. I was running my level 24 warrior in ashenvale to do the voodoo troll quest and slay some furlborgs shamans and avengers when I saw a lvl 24 night elf hunter running behind me and I noticed he started following me. So what I did was run in some hills then hide behind a rock, as soon as he got passed me, CHARGE! He wound up stunned then I hit hamstring and there he was done with :lol

Amen, brother. My favorite is just hopping down an embankment while I have them targeted, then swinging around and charging headlong. Hotkeys are fumbled, gallons are bled. If I swim underwater, I can explode out of the drink like a croc. Minor heart attacks ensue. :D

And it's a really, REALLY good thing to run with guildies who know how to approach the old stand-by team of Priest and Warrior and work with them in a PvP environment; they hear the "shick-SHINK" of Disarm, they know they can stand still and do a cast time spell without fear of gouging, or to alternate stunning attacks with my charge for maximum early fight lock-down. I didn't have that in a running fight in Desolace recently, and it cost me HK and questing time.

hobart

LvL 18 UD Mage on Crushridge (PvP) and I haven't even run into an Alliance chap making it difficult for me to lvl yet. Really hasn't been a problem (yet). If it does... I'll just make sure I got some high level friends joining me is all.

Remember... you need to garner some Honor (CP) in order for the kill to be worth something.

Ferrio

Banned
Tonight will be my guild's 2nd run at onxyia. First run we had only about 22 people, so we only got her down to 70%.

Now we have about 35, after our guild swallowed up a smaller guild. Hopefully it'll prove worthwhile.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm going to attempt to restart WoW now.

I can't remember what or where to go, but oh well

Alex said:
You see, people say that, but I can't. I'm so darn slow in WoW, I dunno what I do wrong.

I mean, the Skywall server I have my main on currently, it's less than a month old and has quite a ton of 60's...how?

Maybe I just get distracted too easily while playing solo.

Anyhow, I'll do anything but Mage. I've done Mage four times in a row now, and kinda getting tired of it. I love the class though, although it feels slightly awkward in Instances to me, but enough is enough.

Rogue or Hunter maybe, I kinda wanna catch up, and those classes are just absolute leveling beasts. Problem is there's so many of 'em I don't wanan sabotage my grouping, hmm, what to do what to do.

once u hit level 20.....instance instance instance instance instance instance.

yea it gets boring but u will make money from drops and level fast.

peace

Malakhov

Banned
xabre said:
Shit that's nice loot for lvl24, I have to go back to BFD; you're doing better than I am with some of that stuff and I'm at lvl30. Nice 1 and and 2 handers, and nice chest as well although I think I'd still favour my shining silver breastplate despite its armour disadvantage (215 Amour +24 reinforced, +14STR, +6STA). I primarily dual wield two 17.7 dps axes and all my equiment has a heavy focus on stamina, but I do like that 2h a lot though, better than my deanship claymore.
Yeah I'm doing pretty good so far, way better than expected. That loot will serve me well up until I hit lvl 30. I'm also gonna get a shining silver breastlplate instead of the tortoise armor from a blacksmith friend, up until I can use his haulberk that is waiting for me :)

Alex

What levels should you start seeking for Stockades and Blackfathom quests? I always had a duo partner in the past to use as a crutch, so I'm not sure how to go about it alone.

AeroGod

Alex said:
What levels should you start seeking for Stockades and Blackfathom quests? I always had a duo partner in the past to use as a crutch, so I'm not sure how to go about it alone.

They are both like mid to high 20's You'll want melee classes like rogues and warriors to be in the higher 20s so they can take more damage, mages and healers can be a bit lower like 24-25 if your tanks are good at keeping the monsters off of them.

Alex

Yeah, that's what I thought. Didn't wanna jump in too early.

Changing the subject, Gnomes suck, everything about them is annoying.

xabre

Banned
Malakhov said:
Yeah I'm doing pretty good so far, way better than expected. That loot will serve me well up until I hit lvl 30. I'm also gonna get a shining silver breastlplate instead of the tortoise armor from a blacksmith friend, up until I can use his haulberk that is waiting for me :)

You mean this godly piece of chain mail? I'm most happy to say I won one today at an auction for only 2.75g. Bye bye Shining Silver Breastplate :D Also, did Gnomeragan today (had a lvl60 paly with us so it was a breeze, did practically every quest you can in there so no need to go back) and got these awesome leggings after completing one of the quests. These two pieces will do me until lvl40 when I get plate, they have +32 reinforced armour added as well :). A few things I'm looking at getting at the moment though, Green Iron Helm to replace my current headgear, would of got it today but my priority was the chest armour and someone bought it out before I could myself. Also, a necklace that adds stamina (always more stamina) and a couple of rare 1h swords would be nice too.

Also, anyone know what I have to do to get stamina attributes added to these leggings? I asked an enchanter and they said something about a varacity tome quest or something?

SaitoH

From FoH guild:

So here's a little snippet of damage display that shows the continued silliness in WoW's basic game core functionality.

Dreamweave armor adds 1-35 damage to damaging spells. Rather than check that value each time a spell is cast they decided to save themselves some floating point calcs and only check it ONCE... that time being when the armor is first put on.

So you put on a Dreamweave Vest and a roll is made and that value is added to your global damage modifier. When you take the vest off it makes another roll and subtracts that value from your global spell damage modifier. Note that it doesn't take off the SAME random value it added when you put it on, but instead takes off a different random value from 1-35.

So say you put the vest on and it rolls a 10 and so all yer spells are at +10 damage. If you take it off then it rolls a 27. Now you are at -17 damage to all spells you cast... Not a good thing!

However if you get lucky then your put-on roll is higher than your take-off roll and you end up with a NET gain of +damage. This is endlessly repeatable so via a random walk process you can end up with a HUGE +damage modifier and then put on your Arcanist or whatever real armor to go adventuring in. Of course you are equally likely to end up with a HUGE -damage modifier so you have to take care to keep track of what your modifier is at any time and dress/undress accordingly.

Credit goes to a mage in my guild who stumbled upon this bug and was amusing himself with it to generate that screenshot above (and caused everyone in the guild to go WHAT THE @%@%^ when they saw his damage parses) I am told that this has been used by less scrupulous types for a good long time now.

meganuke5ip.jpg

Wonder how long it will be before Blizzard fixes this ... >_>

Jenjandi

Hi there! I'm new to the boards but I'm in MAF's guild and I figured this would be as good a place to start posting as any.

So, any other priests in the house?

Hey Jenjandi, Welcome to the board.

I'm bored at work. And I'm always looking for ways to get better, So i wanna ask you guys, If there was one thing you wish warriors knew about your class, or something you wish they would do, or wouldnt do, What is it? Doenst matter if you think its obvious, I wanna hear it. It might not be obvious to me.

And of course, you guys need to start on Gilneas server and contact me(aliventhia) or Jenjandi to get into Doom Syndicate. You'll have to listen to MAF's constant chattering, but its alot of fun!

There's also a chat channel (type in /join GA) if you wanna chat with others.

Jenjandi

luvaboi217 said:
Hey Jenjandi, Welcome to the board.

I'm bored at work. And I'm always looking for ways to get better, So i wanna ask you guys, If there was one thing you wish warriors knew about your class, or something you wish they would do, or wouldnt do, What is it? Doenst matter if you think its obvious, I wanna hear it. It might not be obvious to me.

And of course, you guys need to start on Gilneas server and contact me(aliventhia) or Jenjandi to get into Doom Syndicate. You'll have to listen to MAF's constant chattering, but its alot of fun!

There's also a chat channel (type in /join GA) if you wanna chat with others.

You really ought to do a write up on what works for warriors in instances man. I've seen the way you play and it's about a thousand times better than the majority of the warriors I've parited with.

Here's what I've seen warriors do that makes me cringe:

1. Dual wield/2 Hander in an instance: Can this be made to work? Sure. Is it the best use of a warrior's time and a priest's mana? I don't think so. This equipment configuration makes a priest heal more, thus increasing the aggro we draw on ourselves and reducing the mana we can spend healing others. It also requires me to spend more time and attention watching my main tank. This means the rogues and the hunters can slip through the cracks.

2. Watch your pacing: A lot of warriors don't pay attention to the casters' mana bar, and start charging in right after a fight has finished. I know waiting means you lose your rage. However, waiting also means I can heal you more. Your rage or your life. You choose.

Let me turn the question around though - what could the Priest class do to help Warriors (and other classes)?

Mjunter

Enhancement is the best talent route to go for leveling/grinding for a shaman. Of course at lvl 60 you will probably have to decide between restoration for high end raid runs or enh/ele for pvp. Either way you should experiment with what you think suits you.

Jenjandi said:
You really ought to do a write up on what works for warriors in instances man. I've seen the way you play and it's about a thousand times better than the majority of the warriors I've parited with.

Here's what I've seen warriors do that makes me cringe:

1. Dual wield/2 Hander in an instance: Can this be made to work? Sure. Is it the best use of a warrior's time and a priest's mana? I don't think so. This equipment configuration makes a priest heal more, thus increasing the aggro we draw on ourselves and reducing the mana we can spend healing others. It also requires me to spend more time and attention watching my main tank. This means the rogues and the hunters can slip through the cracks.

As someone who's played both sides of that coin, I can say for a fact that having near-max skill in 1h, 2h for your level is the way to go. 1H lacks in Rage and aggro building, but protects you from massive Physical damage better. The answer is cycling the aggro skills, switching out to sword and board to bash casters in the face, then switch back again,(this is for mobs who's main output is elemental, where shields mean nada), or switching to 2h for Cleaves, Sweeping Strikes, Overpowers, and Executes for maximum effectiveness. We do Stance Dance Revolution, why not the weapons version?

Granted, if the priest sucks, there is no tank-fu strong enough...

Warrior beef in PvP: Hamsting 'em. HS them so the casters can run to stay alive. HS to keep them within hacking and whacking distance. HS them to more easily keep tabs on them during the chaos. HS so that they can't run off low and bandage up. HS cuz it's cruel. :)

Now for something good I've learned to do: Refear. Intimidating shout when rogues get on your Priest like flies on shit, then buzz right back after the Priest's Psychic Shout. Unless they're UD, they will go running. This is INSANELY good in areas not yet cleared, and lets you HS, OP, swing, swing, Execute the targeted before his buddies can get back, (if they can).

Ferrio

Banned
Ferrio said:
Tonight will be my guild's 2nd run at onxyia. First run we had only about 22 people, so we only got her down to 70%.

Now we have about 35, after our guild swallowed up a smaller guild. Hopefully it'll prove worthwhile.

We had 32 people show up. We got her down to 37% in phase 3. We only had about 3 tries, people started bailing and we were left short. But we're making progress and refining our strategy as well as getting comfortable with the encounter. I think there's a good chance she'll go down next time as long as people show up.

One change we're going to try is switch out our 1h/shield build warrior with a 2h arcanite reaper Mortal striking warrior. He's going to take a bit addiotional damage.. but we have plenty of healers... and we need the extra aggro he can generate (and MS really pisses off monsters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom