• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Kintaro said:
What would be good crafts for a casual Hunter who hopes to experience PvE and some PvP (unless I get seriously addicted to PvP as a Hunter)?

If you use guns, then Engineering isn't bad at all, throw in mining and you'll still be able to make money.

firex

I'm probably gonna do LW on my hunter, but it's just because they seem to have added good fur lining enchants and cheap leg enchants. I would do alchemy but I just spent forever leveling alchemy/herbalism up on my mage alt before they announced +15 alchemy as a goblin racial, haha.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Tamanon said:
If you use guns, then Engineering isn't bad at all, throw in mining and you'll still be able to make money.

You know, that's not a bad idea. That's one craft I've never tried.

firex

you'll definitely save money on ammo if you do engineering, and plus you can eventually make your own epics (which are pretty good, especially for hunters) at 450 skill. Even if you don't use guns, engineering makes both types of ammo now.

Kintaro

firex said:
you'll definitely save money on ammo if you do engineering, and plus you can eventually make your own epics (which are pretty good, especially for hunters) at 450 skill. Even if you don't use guns, engineering makes both types of ammo now.

I do use guns actually. That's neat. Should I go back and start lvling mining/enginnering (I'm on herbalism and skinning atm) or wait until I'm higher level? I'm level 28 atm.

Tamanon

Banned
I'd at least level mining now, otherwise you'll just be going back over the same old areas trying to find mineral spawn points.

Evlar

Banned
Plus, mining is a fantastic money making profession on most servers.

EDIT: Heh, I see that point started the discussion.

firex

I meant even if you don't use guns at 80. You can make a decent ilevel 200 epic gun right at 450 skill for cheap mats, although I think you can also get a gun or bow or something off the new 5 man heroic if you do that. I know 80's a long way away, but I mean regardless of what your "final" weapon winds up being, as engineering you can make the best ammo for it. And really the mats for the ammo aren't too expensive, but the demand makes them kind of high.

Macattk15 said:
From what I've heard ... heroic ToC is actually tough. On par with Ulduar hard modes. So I wouldn't go complaining about it being so easy just yet.

I for one hope it is difficult ... that way it takes time to get through it and less time to spend in Ulduar (which I now loathe as much as Naxx) ... it's probably due to Mimiron hard mode attempts.

Heh, guess my guild won't be doing heroic ToC then. It's pretty sad that we can one shot all the bosses in 25 man but still can't get passed the watchers in Ulduar 25.

Kintaro

firex said:
I meant even if you don't use guns at 80. You can make a decent ilevel 200 epic gun right at 450 skill for cheap mats, although I think you can also get a gun or bow or something off the new 5 man heroic if you do that. I know 80's a long way away, but I mean regardless of what your "final" weapon winds up being, as engineering you can make the best ammo for it. And really the mats for the ammo aren't too expensive, but the demand makes them kind of high.

Nice.

I think I'll do that. It'll switch things up a bit from how I usually play with crafting. Looks like I have my weekend project (grab Gatherer and head back to level up some mining).

firex

A lot of the leveling ammo is good, too, although it kind of drops off in the classic levels until you get to around 280 skill and can make thorium shells.

yacobod

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Heh, guess my guild won't be doing heroic ToC then. It's pretty sad that we can one shot all the bosses in 25 man but still can't get passed the watchers in Ulduar 25.

how is that possible? non hardmode keepers are easy

Macattk15

funkmastergeneral said:

Yeah apparently they have new abilities along with the increased hp / damage in heroic mode. The loot in there has such ridiculous stats though.

yacobod said:

My guild doesn't raid very much, and to be honest there are a lot of not so good players. With the advent of ToC we haven't even touched Ulduar in weeks, it seems pointless at this point.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
funkmastergeneral said:

We're in the same boat except with Yogg. We did everything in ToC with ease but we can't get past Yogg.

J-Rzez

Kintaro said:
I do use guns actually. That's neat. Should I go back and start lvling mining/enginnering (I'm on herbalism and skinning atm) or wait until I'm higher level? I'm level 28 atm.

In regards to those two, specifically engineering, the sooner you can start working on it the better. Engineering's value diminishes greatly when it comes to raiding/pve. But it's fun-value and usefulness increases ten-fold in pvp. That gun is junk anymore, especially since iirc there's better or at least par guns available in either H or reg ToC.

Yeah that is strange. Normal modes are cake. Pugs even clear the keepers on my server with ease.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jesus CHRIST, leveling fishing is ridiculously slow... I'm already super super bored after 2 hours and I'm at 267...

Seiken said:
Jesus CHRIST, leveling fishing is ridiculously slow... I'm already super super bored after 2 hours and I'm at 267...

Haha your lucky the speed was increased in one of the recent patch's (one that added fishing dailys)

Takes a stupidly long amount of time but is worth it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Johnlenham said:
Haha your lucky the speed was increased in one of the recent patch's (one that added fishing dailys)

Takes a stupidly long amount of time but is worth it.
God damn it was slower than THIS? Sheesh o.o

Won

Decided to throw away my Goblin priest plans and asked a GM if he can restore my priest I deleted a year ago. And there he was today. Surprised that he was able to do it after a whole year. They seem to store everything. :D

Seiken said:

Why would someone fish for 2 hours? o_O

Yoshichan

Won said:
Why not? <,< I'm power leveling it (from 0!)

Currently 295! Come on, fish faster!

Won said:
Decided to throw away my Goblin priest plans and asked a GM if he can restore my priest I deleted a year ago. And there he was today. Surprised that he was able to do it after a whole year. They seem to store everything. :D

When I need fish feast materials I can fish in Wintergrasp for well over an hour. It's not that bad and you can do other things while fishing.

3865698310_2aab980dae_o.png

Troll Druids-to-be the world over are praying its a fake. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Seiken said:
God damn it was slower than THIS? Sheesh o.o

It was not only slower, but you also only got points when you fished something up, none of this fishing junk on every cast. It was excruciating.

Yoshichan

That is AWESOME :lol

firex

oh cool, I didn't even notice the mohawk. The tusks seem a little fake though... would make more sense to give it crazy sabertooth tusks instead of sticking them out like elephant tusks.

Won

Waaaah, you need to be exalted with all cities to get the Crusader title and access to the vendor? Screw that. :/

firex

Won said:
Waaaah, you need to be exalted with all cities to get the Crusader title and access to the vendor? Screw that. :/
It's easy. Do your tournament dailies and take champion writs and you get 250 rep/writ. And go do old quests you skipped, like each race's starting zone (except blood elves since only BEs can do their 1-4 quests) and you'll be exalted in no time.

Or go solo farm Stratholme and turn in all your runecloth.

border

Won said:
Just doing the Argent Tournament dailies nets you 1000 reputation per day. If you're already a 80 you are probably already Revered or close to it, so it doesn't take more than a few weeks to get to Exalted with any single faction.

firex

both my 80s were 999/1000 exalted with all horde races already so I really, honestly thought this tournament stuff was just for older, pre-TBC characters with that insanely crappy old rep grind.

border

firex said:
both my 80s were 999/1000 exalted with all horde races already so I really, honestly thought this tournament stuff was just for older, pre-TBC characters with that insanely crappy old rep grind.

Unless you are consciously trying to rep-up with factions, it's very hard to get to Exalted "naturally". My warrior dates back to 2005. Even though he ran a shitload of Alterac Valley (the only way you could rep up without Runecloth turn-ins in Vanilla WoW), he still wasn't up to Exalted even with his Race's faction. Though admittedly he's a troll and there aren't a lot of Darkspear quests to do.

My undead warlock dates back to December 2006 (slightly before Burning Crusade). She was my mount-collector and I was gunning for the 50 Mount Achievement around the time the 3.0 patch came out (October 2008). Obviously I had to get to exalted with several Horde factions to buy mounts to do it, and even though I went back and ran a lot of low-level quests it still took a shitload of Runecloth to get to Exalted with the 2-3 factions whose mounts I needed.

I'm not saying that it is impossible to get to Exalted by 70 or 80 (there are people that claim to have done it before reaching 40-50), but I think you have to be making a conscious effort to do it.

On ally side I got to Exalted with everyone by 40 but like you say you make a real effort to do it I must have done most of the Qs for all factions from 0-30 and more. Gnomer is the real bitch along with trading in a stupid amount of cloth.

Now I have to get 50+ seals for gnomes and dwarfs before I can get into the vendor -_-

Also just coming back to the game yesterday I fell like a bloody nab running about in with bits of Naxx Tier and Naxx weapons did realise they made it completely redundant by giving out conquest medals for EVERYTHING:lol Not to mention that new instance 5man drops an awesome spear for hunter.

Won

firex said:
It's easy. Do your tournament dailies and take champion writs and you get 250 rep/writ. And go do old quests you skipped, like each race's starting zone (except blood elves since only BEs can do their 1-4 quests) and you'll be exalted in no time.

Or go solo farm Stratholme and turn in all your runecloth.

I know it is not that hard and I already did the writ math on it anyway. I'm just surprised that after a month of frog kissing, I get no extra reward for now. Seems wrong. :(

firex

It was a conscious effort to get to exalted on my paladin and shaman, but that conscious effort meant doing the starting quests in durotar, mulgore, and tirisfal on my paladin, and doing something similar on my shaman except I did turn in a few stacks of runecloth (easily gotten from soloing strath) for silvermoon. When you're like level 60-70+ you can do the starting zones in a minute at most, and get what feels like at least 5k rep with that faction if you complete it.

With the faster leveling now, it's a little harder to naturally get close to exalted with everybody, but it's still pretty easy if you do that.

Cipherr

I knew they changed something with rep. My original characters didn't even have as much rep at max level as I have now on my rerolled ally warlock. I'm pushing revered with all major factions, there's ALOT of rep gain in the game now for these low level quests.

firex

anyone who played from vanilla (like my old orc warlock) got like, 25 rep/quest turn in with their factions. 2.0 upped it dramatically to like 250 for most quests, 350-500 for others (specifically at the end of some long-ish quest chains or kind of a "zone complete" quest result). So yeah, while I struggled to get past honored with everybody on my orc warlock from vanilla, the paladin I made right when TBC launched, and the shaman I made after I got bored of my paladin both hit exalted pretty easily. Blood elves in particular should hit exalted if they do all the hellfire peninsula quests + all their own race's quests in other zones. It's actually a little tougher to hit exalted after 2.3 when they reduced the 20-60 leveling times dramatically, but again, going back and doing the starting zones of other races when you have your epic land mount makes it really easy to get like 5k-6k rep with that race.

edit: before I forget, alliance also has it easier because they're friendly with all races by default. undead/blood elves are friendly with each other in horde and the tri-horde (tauren/trolls/orcs) are friendly with each other, but they're neutral with the other races. So like blood elves will be neutral with orcs/trolls/tauren and orcs will be neutral with undead/blood elves to start.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, it's sad, my 80 mage, my original Vanilla WoW raider is still only Honored with the alliance cities, rep was awful back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom