• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Any tips from the DK's out there when it comes to leveling? I'm currently unholy with some points in blood at level 60, Just found some random talent build / guide on a website :lol

It does seem to be going well though. I'm loving the DK class, so much fun.

Tamanon

Banned
evlcookie said:
Any tips from the DK's out there when it comes to leveling? I'm currently unholy with some points in blood at level 60, Just found some random talent build / guide on a website :lol

I leveled as Blood personally on one DK and Frost on the other. You really can't go wrong with any of the builds. Unholy is nice because of the speed boost when mounted, but DKs are the easiest class to level period. Able to solo most 2 and 3 man quests easy also.

They're not making gear less important in the expansion, they're just simplifying the stats. You're not going to kill Deathwing with gear from the first raid instance.

This game isn't just statistics, though. The people at the top in raiding are really fucking good. They clear content in gear a lot worse than what even excellent raiders do. Ensidia killed hard-mode Mimiron on the second Ulduar reset. They had the benefit of one full clear but the raid was still decked out in Naxx/Sarth/Maly gear. It took the best guild on my server (who was top 100 US at that time) almost 3 months longer, the kill was post-nerf, and they had been clearing some other hard modes for 2 months. The difference in skill is incredible.

With the staggered release of Trial of the Crusader, the sheer bump in ilvl, and the limited number of attempts per week the playing field should be fairly even. Only 135 guilds in the world have killed heroic Twin Valkyries, 4 have killed heroic Anub'arak, and there's already one guild (Paragon) who has gotten A Tribute to Mad Skill (wiped 5 or less times in the instance) and only 4 people in that guild out-gear me. That's skill.

firex

Retro said:
I think so too; as you work deeper into a Tanking talent tree, your Defense stat will go up. I'm pretty sure Blizz has said they are removing Defense from gear, but not entirely from the game. We'll see how it works out, because that might make a major change to druid tanking. We'll have to wait and find out, but I'd much rather be tank worthy by virtue of my talent build than by the gear I've farmed.
Gear is still going to matter. It won't be like you can tank in pure dps gear (you won't have the HP for it), and they said nothing about removing block/parry/dodge ratings from gear. Just defense rating, which I approve of because right now it's stupid gearing up a non-druid tank. Items that are clear upgrades in every other area can drop you below the cap unless you completely redo all your gems/enchants in your other gear, compared to other classes being able to replace stuff and function better without having to do that after every incremental upgrade.

The way I see it, either a deep (45+) talent in each tank's tanking talent tree will provide crit immunity on top of other bonuses, or it will be a mastery bonus for speccing that deep into a tanking tree, and removed as a talent choice for druids.

I'm also going to guess that, at least as far as DKs go (who really cares about that class though when it's designed for facerolling idiots) they're going to go back to the "DKs can tank in any talent tree" idea and maybe remove/pare down some of the stuff so there will be a tank tree, with other tank talents in other trees. It makes sense anyway, because DKs have some of the most boring talents out there (along with boring gameplay) for their filler stuff.

Retro

firex said:
Gear is still going to matter. It won't be like you can tank in pure dps gear (you won't have the HP for it), and they said nothing about removing block/parry/dodge ratings from gear.

Right, and mitigation, stamina, and threat generation will still be important. But to reach the uncrittable cap by talents instead of gear makes that a much easier prospect in the long run. Being uncrittable is arguably the biggest hurdle to tanking; everything after that is just making the job easier.

J-Rzez

evlcookie said:

Go for a blood build, as it has the least amount of downtime, aka, Zero. I used that to level to 80, then used a blood tank build and unholy pvp/dps build. Now, still a Blood tank, but I bounce between Blood and Unholy for my DPS needs. Unholy is still better in PVP i believe, due to the more cc you get, plus ignoring armor with magic damage is nice.

Retro said:
I feel the complete opposite; watching little numbers go up so you can join a group to get new loot so your little numbers go up so you can join a raid to get new loot so your little numbers go up is monumentally boring.

By making statistics the sole focus of character growth, you run the risk of removing or diminishing player skill and creativity. Right now, to 'do your job right', you need a spreadsheet, loot calculators, and a web browser pointed to such pretentious theorycrafters as EJ.

At the far end of the stat-driven spectrum, victory is determined by having the biggest hammer, not the widest toolbox. WoW has not quite gotten to that point yet, and I am glad Blizzard has at least tried to make an effort to keep their stats under control.

However, if you make mechanics the focus of character growth (what a character does, not how hard they do it), and make the statistics behooven to abilities and simple enough that they can be quickly dealt with, then victory is much more likely to be the result of a player knowing their class, knowing what they're doing, and being able to read and react to changes.

Don't get me wrong, stat-driven games can be great, but there are far more interesting ways to have characters grow than just inflating the numbers that represent them. I'd much rather have absolutely transparent and easy stats and a wide number of interesting things to do. So when you fight a boss or encounter an enemy player, the winner isn't determined by who turns over their card and has the highest number, but who understands the hand they've been dealt, what their opponent is revealing in their strategy, and knowing what to do when.

Play War vs. Poker, and see which one bores you first.

We're not actually arguing black and white here, in fact, what you're fearing to come to pass actually is here; many specs ARE stuck in cookie cutter builds and playstyles, and with each new patch the noose draws tighter. There used to be a refining of gameplay, and more wiggle-room around the core talents. Now? Too much worry from the developers about trees getting outta control in the hands of experts, or fear that people can't do 15 minutes of reading to get the jist of their stats. Even something as simple as "Go AP over AGL." "Pick Haste over Crit, but dont let Crit get below 12%", etc. and needs enforced simplification. I'm hopeful for an elegant learning curve this coming go around instead.

Retro

SatelliteOfLove said:
We're not actually arguing black and white here, in fact, what you're fearing to come to pass actually is here; many specs ARE stuck in cookie cutter builds and playstyles, and with each new patch the noose draws tighter.

Oh, I know. I've been playing Paladins since I started playing WoW in March of '05, and even when there were completely retarded things like Blessing of Kings being the top tier Ret talent, at least there was never a situation where you could get every single talent you could ever need and still have points left over.

Everything now is either a set rotation or, worse, a first-come-first-serve rotation where you just press buttons as soon as they come off cooldown.

SatelliteOfLove said:
There used to be a refining of gameplay, and more wiggle-room around the core talents. Now? Too much worry from the developers about trees getting outta control in the hands of experts, or fear that people can't do 15 minutes of reading to get the jist of their stats. Even something as simple as "Go AP over AGL." "Pick Haste over Crit, but dont let Crit get below 12%", etc. and needs enforced simplification. I'm hopeful for an elegant learning curve this coming go around instead.

Right, and I think part of the problem now is that things change so rapidly, and there are so many stats, it's hard to tell what your stat focus should be. MP5? Spirit? Spell Hit? Crit? When you can't look at a character sheet and say "Ah, I want to go for Stat X, Y, Z", and are forced to research your class, then it's no surprise that there are so many 'bads' running around who thought they were buying a game, not a lifestyle.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Retro said:
Right, and I think part of the problem now is that things change so rapidly, and there are so many stats, it's hard to tell what your stat focus should be. MP5? Spirit? Spell Hit? Crit? When you can't look at a character sheet and say "Ah, I want to go for Stat X, Y, Z", and are forced to research your class, then it's no surprise that there are so many 'bads' running around who thought they were buying a game, not a lifestyle.
Amen to that. I'm glad they are getting rid of all these supplemental stats.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
J-Rzez said:
Go for a blood build, as it has the least amount of downtime, aka, Zero. I used that to level to 80, then used a blood tank build and unholy pvp/dps build. Now, still a Blood tank, but I bounce between Blood and Unholy for my DPS needs. Unholy is still better in PVP i believe, due to the more cc you get, plus ignoring armor with magic damage is nice.

Thanks, i switched to a blood spec just before. I'm loving the big numbers :lol

Cipherr

Wow I just got called to help a guy I ran some instances with a few days ago to help him get to the WG vendor and buy some items.

Apparently when your faction takes the keep in WG, the walls stay all torn down, and the other faction is free to walse or fly in and just kill whoever whenever with no guards or anything else that would make sense for a keep that you own.

Maybe Im just annoyed that I had to bother (I owe the guy) but that shit seems ridiculous. What in the fuck is their thought process there? A low level guard or two? The hell...

Puncture said:
What in the fuck is their thought process there? A low level guard or two? The hell...

prolly "what was the best thing to happen to pvp?" "oh yeah, letting people fly and be basically immune to everything inless they know they're going to win and then they can come down" (yeah im away boomkin / ele sha / rogue can topgun them)

leaving the doors and walls down was almost semi reasonable, but letting people fly in the fucking pvp zone was about the dumbest shit ever I think, if anything only winners should be able to fly, but i'd prefer none

Sciz

Fulleffect said:
yeah im away boomkin / ele sha / rogue can topgun them
My favorite thing to do after losing Wintergrasp these days is to fly up to the roof and see how many ambitious horde I can thunderstorm back off. Helps let off the steam.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i think one of the things i like most about WotLK is that its very easy to get around all 3 worlds. im doing the venomsaur mount quest at the moment and instead of going on a FP to southern Kalimdor i just head to Sholozar Basin and take the Ungoro portal there. Theres never any waiting for hearthstone.. partly because of the reduced cd, but more because of all the portals everywhere (main city->Dark Portal, Violet Hold->Caverns of Time, etc).

i have a weapon question that someone here might be able to answer. For my DK i dual wield frost in pvp. Currently im using the Reaper of Dark Souls x2.. and am thinking about spending 50 Champions Seals for Grimhorn Crusher x2. The only thing i dont like about the Grimhorns is that they have a lower base damage. i would rather spend my Champions Seals for things other than gear though. Am i correct in thinking i should hold off until i can get access to some of the Arena point weapons?

Won

Finished up my reputations today. Now have 7 new titles and around 30 new mounts. Kinda hard to circle through all that. :lol

Chris R

keeblerdrow said:
Or just get floated through a Naxx25. You'd probably come out the other side with a couple weapons, easy.
:lol Weapons are one thing that you can't just get by floating through a Naxx 25. I mean I know people who still run Naxx 25 JUST for Kel'Thuzud and his weapons. The lack of weapons if you aren't running Uld+ content is just insane.

The arena weapons are decent if you can get high enough rating, or you can run HToC every day and HOPE you get the dude instead of the chick and then HOPE your weapon drops (IT NEVER DOES). Damn I'm beginning to hate HToC because I've got exactly 1 upgrade from it for my main spec and I'd say 10 or 11 things for my off spec...

firex

I'm just going to hope for H-HoL's axe and then H-ToC's axe on my warrior when I get him to 80. Thank god for Arms spec.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Are there any tricks to tanking as a dk at low levels? I did some quick reading and i can't see any major difference in spells or even rotations to what im doing right now as i level with blood spec.

I'm guessing i don't need to worry about def cap and so on. But is there anything i should be aware of? I got asked to tank one or two of the instances in the outlands but ignored them for fear i would suck :lol

rhfb said:
:lol Weapons are one thing that you can't just get by floating through a Naxx 25. I mean I know people who still run Naxx 25 JUST for Kel'Thuzud and his weapons. The lack of weapons if you aren't running Uld+ content is just insane.

226s, maybe. But if you need just a couple of 213s to get you by, Naxx floats are good for that. And yeah, hToC is good for a 2nd weapon for that approach, too.

border

rhfb said:
The arena weapons are decent if you can get high enough rating, or you can run HToC every day and HOPE you get the dude instead of the chick and then HOPE your weapon drops (IT NEVER DOES). Damn I'm beginning to hate HToC because I've got exactly 1 upgrade from it for my main spec and I'd say 10 or 11 things for my off spec...

I'd rather run HToC everyday than praying for a once-a-week Kel'Thuzad drop.

Since HToC opened I've seen the healer mace drop a ton of times. My warlock has gotten the caster dagger. My warrior has a Peacekeeper Blade for tanking and Edge of Ruin x 2 for Fury spec. I probably would have gotten the 2H Axes faster except that when I'm tanking I usually let melee DPS have first crack at the DPS weapons, and there's always a hunter or a DK or something that wants Edge of Ruin.

evlcookie said:
Are there any tricks to tanking as a dk at low levels? I did some quick reading and i can't see any major difference in spells or even rotations to what im doing right now as i level with blood spec.

I'm guessing i don't need to worry about def cap and so on. But is there anything i should be aware of? I got asked to tank one or two of the instances in the outlands but ignored them for fear i would suck :lol

you'll be fine, can't hurt to grab easy tradeskill tanking gear

turn on frost pres, throw down a dnd for multiple mobs, mark one with skull, hit them with icy + plague, pest to spread it, deathstrike when 2 runes come back, heart strike when blood comes back, pest off other mobs if you need to keep diseases alive

as long the team isn't too crazy on the aoe, it's super easy, just gotta learn what mobs to pull / skull first

border

keeblerdrow said:
226s, maybe. But if you need just a couple of 213s to get you by, Naxx floats are good for that.
I think is point was more that you can't get weapons from a group that will carry you through Naxx, because the only reason anyone still runs it is for the KT weapons. For all the other bosses it might be an all-you-can-eat buffet, but once KT goes down you'll be rolling against people who came only for those drops and will argue that you shouldn't be allowed to roll since you got all this other crap off of trash bosses.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So, have they made it easier to level in Outlands recently? I rolled a dk on a server where some RL friends are the other day, and I've just been ploughing through the levels on this go around.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Mr Nash said:
So, have they made it easier to level in Outlands recently? I rolled a dk on a server where some RL friends are the other day, and I've just been ploughing through the levels on this go around.

Flying in outlands as you level helps a ton. Being a death knight doesnt hurt either i would guess.

Weenerz

Banned
Been banned for a month, so I get to play catch-up with the GAFers. Guild has cleared 10/25 regular ToC, as well as having 44 attempts left on ToC heroic, and we're working on faction champs on 25 (ugh).

Considering my main raider has been only 80 since August 11th (got tired of my warrior, decided I wanted to play my enhancement shaman), I think I've done pretty well for myself.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eonar&n=Strungjr

We should actually get at least mad skill if not insanity this tuesday when the 10 man heroic resets. Fun times.

It actually has me wanting a new, larger arena bracket or straight-up deathmatch-style bg. Definitely one of the more entertaining fights of late.

Weenerz

Banned
border said:
Is Faction Champions as bad as everyone says it is? Random aggro tables, having to adjust everything on the fly, etc?

The regular versions aren't very difficult at all, just make sure you purge/dispell the hots and bloodlust/heroism. Don't even need CC on regular versions since the tank can taunt and hold the painful mobs.

On heroic, it's an entirely different story, the 25 man version, each mob has at least 2.5 million hp, the physical melee dps classes almost 1 shot clothies and will 2 shot anything but the "tanks". All mobs are immune to taunt as well. The mage hits for about 16k per arcane blast and the heals heal for a shit load more. Very painful indeed.

TomServo

I don't think I'm going to make it to Icecrown Citadel.

ToC is just too fucking boring. I'll admit we're still on Northrend Beasts in Heroic 25, had Icehowl down to 6% last night. It's not the wiping that's getting to me. It's that the mechanics of the fight don't change, it just tightens up the dps / healing / cooldown requirements. There's so little motivation for me to progress in H ToC since I've already seen all of the content / encounters.

I actually like that progression is difficult again, but having already seeing everything in the faceroll easy modes has just ruined it for me. Progressing through H ToC all we have to look forward to is the same encounter with bigger incoming damage, more boss health, and enrage timers.

Maybe if I gave a shit about epeen or gear I'd feel different. I dunno. I really want to kill Arthas (and quit), but I'm not sure I'll last that long.

Won

TomServo said:

ToC is just too fucking boring. I'll admit we're still on Northrend Beasts in Heroic 25, had Icehowl down to 6% last night. It's not the wiping that's getting to me. It's that the mechanics of the fight don't change, it just tightens up the dps / healing / cooldown requirements. There's so little motivation for me to progress in H ToC since I've already seen all of the content / encounters.

I actually like that progression is difficult again, but having already seeing everything in the faceroll easy modes has just ruined it for me. Progressing through H ToC all we have to look forward to is the same encounter with bigger incoming damage, more boss health, and enrage timers.

Maybe if I gave a shit about epeen or gear I'd feel different. I dunno. I really want to kill Arthas (and quit), but I'm not sure I'll last that long.

3.2 generally killed a lot of enthusiasm it seems. My guild is basically dead at the moment. Not that much was going on there anyway, but the raiders are gone at the moment. :/

Insured

TomServo said:

Pretty much summed up my thoughts here. I already got tired of the place in ONE week after running both normal and heroic instances on both 10man and 25, and seeing the same fights again and again and again. And the place feels like such... filler content.

Weenerz said:
Been banned for a month, so I get to play catch-up with the GAFers. Guild has cleared 10/25 regular ToC, as well as having 44 attempts left on ToC heroic, and we're working on faction champs on 25 (ugh).

Considering my main raider has been only 80 since August 11th (got tired of my warrior, decided I wanted to play my enhancement shaman), I think I've done pretty well for myself.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eonar&n=Strungjr

We should actually get at least mad skill if not insanity this tuesday when the 10 man heroic resets. Fun times.

If at all possible lose that expertise trinket, it's rubbish. From what I've read you're better off gemming and enchanting for expertise and using a Death's Choice in the trinket slot.
Also, how much dps are you pulling in 10 man ToC?

Insured said:
Pretty much summed up my thoughts here. I already got tired of the place in ONE week after running both normal and heroic instances on both 10man and 25, and seeing the same fights again and again and again. And the place feels like such... filler content.

Well...That's what it is. Filler content between Ulduar and Icecrown. I believe there was a blue post stating they didn't want every raid to be huge and epic like Ulduar, maybe every other one. Personally I think it's a pretty neat design and the Faction Champs, while infuriating at times, is a cool fight. The Twins have some interesting mechanics as well. I just wish that Regular ToC was a bit harder, because at the moment it's ridiculously easy to blow through.

Sai-kun

Banned
I need a (new) weapon.

I've had my ilvl200 crossbow from H UK since..well...since like I first ran H UK. :< But nothing ever drops from the once in a while i get invited to go to Ulduar. Gr.

Insured

funkmastergeneral said:
Well...That's what it is. Filler content between Ulduar and Icecrown. I believe there was a blue post stating they didn't want every raid to be huge and epic like Ulduar, maybe every other one. Personally I think it's a pretty neat design and the Faction Champs, while infuriating at times, is a cool fight. The Twins have some interesting mechanics as well. I just wish that Regular ToC was a bit harder, because at the moment it's ridiculously easy to blow through.
Sure it's filler content, but it's where the highest tier items are now, and thus our guild is raiding mostly that, and I can't stand it, so ya =/

It is a nice idea and all, can't wait to see the revamped Onyxia either, but raiding these instances, and nothing but, every week? I don't know, really. Not too motivated personally. Maybe I'm getting tired of the whole damn game, really.

Flib

I was so burnt out on ToC and Ulduar, quitting the game has been absolutely wonderful. I'll probably start playing again when Icecrown comes around (just because I really want to see it), but I've been enjoying all of my free time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Flib said:
I was so burnt out on ToC and Ulduar, quitting the game has been absolutely wonderful. I'll probably start playing again when Icecrown comes around (just because I really want to see it), but I've been enjoying all of my free time.
I said that too, but it's so refreshing, that if it came out in two weeks I wouldn't even consider coming back.

Gave away all my money and a bunch of Abyss Crystals, etc.

TomServo

Flib said:

If I could get assurance from my guild leader that I'd be brought back on when Icecrown goes live, I'd quit today.

Even the t9 armor bores me. As a warlock we always had a pretty distinct look compared to priests and mages. Something isn't right about my tier gear being a pallete swap with a holy priest's.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TomServo said:
If I could get assurance from my guild leader that I'd be brought back on when Icecrown goes live, I'd quit today.

Even the t9 armor bores me. As a warlock we always had a pretty distinct look compared to priests and mages. Something isn't right about my tier gear being a pallete swap with a holy priest's.
Honestly, I think the burnout you're talking about is almost inevitable among the sane; you can't grind away at a game like this for years at a time without experiencing significant burnout.

Flib

You may be right about what happens come icecrown.

I've actually been leisurely leveling in Lord of the Rings Online, it's been nice to just play whenever I have some extra downtime. Really enjoying the leveling in that game, very relaxing to play and has some nice takes on the genre.

VaLiancY

Weenerz said:
The regular versions aren't very difficult at all, just make sure you purge/dispell the hots and bloodlust/heroism. Don't even need CC on regular versions since the tank can taunt and hold the painful mobs.

On heroic, it's an entirely different story, the 25 man version, each mob has at least 2.5 million hp, the physical melee dps classes almost 1 shot clothies and will 2 shot anything but the "tanks". All mobs are immune to taunt as well. The mage hits for about 16k per arcane blast and the heals heal for a shit load more. Very painful indeed.

That sounds so fun and I'm being serious. :lol I love challenges.

VaLiancY

Sai-kun said:
I need a (new) weapon.

I've had my ilvl200 crossbow from H UK since..well...since like I first ran H UK. :< But nothing ever drops from the once in a while i get invited to go to Ulduar. Gr.

H ToC, the 5-man drops a good gun on the last boss.

TomServo

Angry Grimace said:
Honestly, I think the burnout you're talking about is almost inevitable among the sane; you can't grind away at a game like this for years at a time without experiencing significant burnout.

It's also a side effect of having a full raid schedule for the first time since Sunwell.

We'd clear Naxx / Sarth3D / Maly in one night. Ulduar with a couple of hard modes was typically a two-night affair. Now we're going three nights a week, four hours a night. All ToC now, but I'm sure as soon as H ToC starts being cleared we'll spend the extra time on Ulduar hard modes. Then there's the hardcore players bitching that not enough people are logging on on off nights to do 10 man ToC / H ToC / Ulduar.

I like raiding, but I liked it a lot more when it was one or two days nights out of my week.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Flib said:

I did the same, although im still in quitting mode. I did decide to start a DK though on the weekend just to see the zone, how the class works and so on. Damn am i enjoying it, it's been so much fun and i hate leveling with a passion.

Having said that i don't know if i will raid on it, i doubt it. Maybe a naxx run on the weekend for shits and giggles but i won't be going back to full time raiding anytime soon. I quit because i wanted to play other games for the next few months, so i may just casual it up on the DK and continue playing everything else.

firex

I'm kind of glad I keep my weekend warrior approach to the game. if I do play it during the week, I'm just leveling alts or something, but most of the time I don't even raid stuff. I just do heroics or keep leveling alts (well, one alt, my warrior) on weekends. It's a pretty fun game to play at my own pace with a few goals in mind. guess it doesn't hurt that arms warrior is the most fun I've had leveling anyone in awhile.

Chris R

Damn it would be nice if there were some weapons above the old heroic level that could be purchased with badges :| I mean you can basically get everything else, but the weapons are still from the crappy 200iLvL vendor :|

rhfb said:
Damn it would be nice if there were some weapons above the old heroic level that could be purchased with badges :| I mean you can basically get everything else, but the weapons are still from the crappy 200iLvL vendor :|

Pretty much ever class has great weapon drops from H ToC 5, and they're adding a dagger in 3.2.2

Retro

firex said:
I'm kind of glad I keep my weekend warrior approach to the game. if I do play it during the week, I'm just leveling alts or something, but most of the time I don't even raid stuff. I just do heroics or keep leveling alts (well, one alt, my warrior) on weekends. It's a pretty fun game to play at my own pace with a few goals in mind. guess it doesn't hurt that arms warrior is the most fun I've had leveling anyone in awhile.

I've actually found a new source of joy; leveling through BGs. Since they've destroyed Twinking and offered PVP experience, BGs are actually fun now. You don't get 1-shotted by hunter/rogue twinks, and there's actually a decent mix of players.

That said, I don't play BGs on the weekends or after school hours; all of the kids getting out of school make the horde nosedive from 9 out of 10 victories to somewhere around 3 out of 10. Too many Belf DKs and Paladins (and yes, I do play a Belf paladin, but I also played a human and dwarf paladin to max level before TBC, so I know what I'm doing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom