• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
GasProblem said:
Well, here is my first character:

1z63zo7.jpg

Is there anyway to remove the UI while taking screenshots?

alt+z will remove the UI i believe, not just for screenshots though. :p

mclem

Deputy Moonman said:
I really want a 310% speed flying mount anyway. I screwed up my seasonal achievements and missed children's week. So unless my guild can all of a sudden do all the hardmodes in ulduar 10, I'll be riding the 280% speed mounts for the rest of my wow days. I'm not banking on the ony mount dropping and me actually winning it. That would be too awesome.

Could you not, er, do the remaining seasonal achievements next year? It's not like they're going away, unless I've missed a Blue stating a deadline for Long, Strange Trip. Or do you simply mean you'll be stopping playing at some point in the near future?

Kyoufu

We downed Twin Valkyrs last night, Death's Choice dropped and one of our warriors blew all of his DKP on it. Such a crazy trinket.

border

I never quite understood the lust for 310% mounts.

Comparably speaking, it's only like 10% faster than a regular epic flying mount. A paladin with Crusader Aura can still outrun you. Now if you're a paladin with a 310 mount though, then you'd really be hauling ass :D

TomServo

border said:
Comparably speaking, it's only like 10% faster than a regular epic flying mount. A paladin with Crusader Aura can still outrun you. Now if you're a paladin with a 310 mount though, then you'd really be hauling ass :D

I thought that Crusader Aura (and On a Pale Horse) were an additional 20% over foot speed - a paladin on a 280% mount w/ Crusader Aura would be moving at 300%, no?

I'm not really that crazy over the 310% speed mounts either. Think it's a epeen thing, because it's definately not rarity. For that I still use my Twilight Drake, and since there were all of three guilds on my server that could do 25man Sarth3D and we all stopped after 3.1 there are maybe two dozen of those on the server.

Speaking of rarity, it's funny to see people in trade chat getting excited about "winning" a Bronze Drake. That's like the welfare drake that everyone's alt rides.

Acid08

Banned
Just started playing this. It's really really fun. But considering the last MMO I played was Shadowbane I suppose anything would be a lot more fun :lol .

My guy is Xanacks, the Orc Shaman.

Btw for the first 20 levels all the screens that say "World of Warcraft" should say "World of Walkingcraft." I mean jesus it takes forever to get anywhere right now.

Also is there any way(mod or otherwise) that actually marks mission objectives on your map? I'm not sure why but I'm having a very hard time with the vague ass directions you get from NPC's.

TomServo

Acid08 said:
Also is there any way(mod or otherwise) that actually marks mission objectives on your map? I'm not sure why but I'm having a very hard time with the vague ass directions you get from NPC's.

Questhelper

Evlar

Banned
border said:
I never quite understood the lust for 310% mounts.

It's 10% faster than the taxis, and 30% faster than epic flyers (all as percentage increases over normal running speed).

border

Evlar said:
It's 10% faster than the taxis, and 30% faster than epic flyers (all as percentage increases over normal running speed).

Comparing it to run speed doesn't make any sense, as you should be weighing its advantages against your current mount. As a percentage of the normal epic flying speed, it's a 10% increase (280 x 10% = 310). A level 70 player with a Riding Crop actually goes as fast.

Unless you are a chronic gatherer, you probably end up spending more time trying to get the mount than you save by riding it around. Which is why I can't really be bothered to do all the holiday garbage....

Atrophis

Acid08 said:
Just started playing this. It's really really fun. But considering the last MMO I played was Shadowbane I suppose anything would be a lot more fun :lol .

Heresy! Shadowbane was great. If you could get past the horrendous graphics.

So last night for shits and giggles i wondered if i could remember my login details for my account which hasnt been used in years. Somehow i do and check the account management page:

Account Created: 11 February 05 15:09 CET
Last Login: 19 November 05 01:22 CET

Damn was it really that long ago? And shit i thought i played it for longer! Hmm 10 day free trial for BC. *Clicks*

OHGODWHATHAVEIDONE!

I have had zero interest in this game since i quit and now I am raging because the shitty game updater keeps randomly closing and is taking forever :/ (is there a good alternative place to download the patches?)

Why do i suddently have the urge to play this so bad :( I dont even like this game anymore... gah i give up and admit nothing beats WOW and it surely is my lord and master.

Knew as soon as i read you could level in BGs that i would slowly but surely be dragged back to the game

Acid08

Banned
Atrophis said:
Heresy! Shadowbane was great. If you could get past the horrendous graphics.

So last night for shits and giggles i wondered if i could remember my login details for my account which hasnt been used in years. Somehow i do and check the account management page:

Account Created: 11 February 05 15:09 CET
Last Login: 19 November 05 01:22 CET

Damn was it really that long ago? And shit i thought i played it for longer! Hmm 10 day free trial for BC. *Clicks*

OHGODWHATHAVEIDONE!

I have had zero interest in this game since i quit and now I am raging because the shitty game updater keeps randomly closing and is taking forever :/ (is there a good alternative place to download the patches?)

Why do i suddently have the urge to play this so bad :( I dont even like this game anymore... gah i give up and admit nothing beats WOW and it surely is my lord and master.

Knew as soon as i read you could level in BGs that i would slowly but surely be dragged back to the game
I've been kinda wanting to play Shadowbane since it's free until the servers shut down. But then I went out and bought WoW so I'm pretty sure I won't be doing that. Ever.

The only memory that stands out to me from Shadowbane was me sitting down, going through my inventory, and then some centaur guy run up to me. He positions himself so he's standing right over me with my head on his horse crotch. He said "THANKS FOR SUCKING MY DICK MAN," and ran off. I had been scared off of MMO's until now.

Magnus

Our Main Tank of 4 years just got laid for the first time in probably as long, so we haven't seen him for a week. :lol :lol

Wrekt

border said:
Comparing it to run speed doesn't make any sense, as you should be weighing its advantages against your current mount. As a percentage of the normal epic flying speed, it's a 10% increase (280 x 10% = 310). A level 70 player with a Riding Crop actually goes as fast.

Unless you are a chronic gatherer, you probably end up spending more time trying to get the mount than you save by riding it around. Which is why I can't really be bothered to do all the holiday garbage....
You will be using that flying mount in the next expansion which covers two entire continents. You are crazy if you think that you won't get enough use out of it to make up for the time spent doing world events.

Acid08 said:
I've been kinda wanting to play Shadowbane since it's free until the servers shut down. But then I went out and bought WoW so I'm pretty sure I won't be doing that. Ever.

The only memory that stands out to me from Shadowbane was me sitting down, going through my inventory, and then some centaur guy run up to me. He positions himself so he's standing right over me with my head on his horse crotch. He said "THANKS FOR SUCKING MY DICK MAN," and ran off. I had been scared off of MMO's until now.

He coulda been a Thief and stole your hearth scroll. Or burnt down your town.

GOD, has WoW gone pussified carebear comparitively.

border

Wrekt said:
You will be using that flying mount in the next expansion which covers two entire continents. You are crazy if you think that you won't get enough use out of it to make up for the time spent doing world events.

For every hour you would have spent flying with a regular flying 280% mount, you spend 54 minutes on the 310% mount. A savings of 6 minutes an hour -- but how many hours do you really spend in flight? And how many hours did you spend getting all those holiday Achievements? For every hour you spend Achievement-grabbing, you need to have 10 flight hours to make up for it (1 hour at event vs 60 minutes saved over 10 hours from the faster mount).

I'm doing the Brewfest stuff now just for the keg, and even though it's comparatively easy it is still fairly time-consuming. But there are holidays much worse than Brewfest -- grinding out a Squashling from the Headless Horseman RNG during Hallow's End......suffering your way through battlegrounds bullshit for School of Hard Knocks during Children's Week.....going to almost every single town on the map for Fire Festival and Lunar Festival. Even with the super-generous totally unrealistic assumption that each holiday will take no more than 3 hours, that's still something like 24 hours spent on holidays. Which means you would need to log 240 hours in flight time just to make up for the time lost spent doing holiday events. That'd be literally 10 days of your life spent in flight -- I honestly don't know if I will be flying around that much, even with Cataclysm.

With all that said, I guess it depends on how you play. I still use flight points all the time just so I can go AFK or Alt-Tab into my browser. Mages can use a combination of hearthstones and teleports to get just about anywhere. Engineers can teleport all over the place now too. Travel has been made so inconsequential that I'm not sure a 10% speed boost is worth it for anyone that doesn't spend a couple hours a day with the gathering professions. Perhaps Archaeology will change this though, since everyone will have a gathering profession.

ianswoody

Just made it into Outland for the first time. Pretty excited to finally see what's going on in here. Does anyone PUG these instances anymore? I really would like to try out everything the new world has to offer.

Acid08

Banned
I'm having trouble with Questhelper. Not all of my quests are showing up. How do I change which quests have the markers set and which don't?

For instance I'm doing the Call of Fire shaman quest but the place I need to go doesn't show up. Do I have to travel to a land first before it will show me the quest marker?

GriffD17

Acid08 said:
I'm having trouble with Questhelper. Not all of my quests are showing up. How do I change which quests have the markers set and which don't?

For instance I'm doing the Call of Fire shaman quest but the place I need to go doesn't show up. Do I have to travel to a land first before it will show me the quest marker?

I was having trouble with that myself. I'm still fairly new, but if you right click on the quest helper thing when you bring up your map, you can choose "filters". I have all my filters off to get it to show everything.

spootime

Just curious.. what do you guys estimate is the total playtime needed to go from 1-80 these days? This is going fairly efficiently and not using RAF.

Chris R

spootime said:
Just curious.. what do you guys estimate is the total playtime needed to go from 1-80 these days? This is going fairly efficiently and not using RAF.
I just did 1-58 on a warrior in just over 2 days played with little to no rested exp. Someone in my guild tried to tell me that was horrible but I think their perception of time (on WoW EVERY time I log in :lol ) is screwed up as they said they get 1-80 in 2 days :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Leveling a priest will be infinitely easier in Cataclysm at least, or once they make the shift from spellpower to int. All the caster classes will improve a ton.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
310% Mounts are totally worth it.

Loving mine for looks and utility.

Still not the best mount in game though. That title still belongs to my fav Headless Horseman mount. Ground & Air beats speed in air only.

The Violet Proto should have been a 310% Air 130% Land ...that would have been a nice reward ;P

GriffD17

Tamanon said:
You can use wands at level 1, best investment a priest can possibly make.:D

Yep. Thank you. Couldn't find a fricking vendor sellings wands so I just hopped on my main and went to the AH. Good stuff.

Swag

What's the barrier to entry like for raiding now?

Decided to get back into the game and start leveling a hunter on my old account on Mal'Ganis Horde, noticing in almost all the lfm Raid shouts that people want a particular gear level, even for basic stuff like Naxx. Kinda worried that getting geared up to do stuff like Ulduar and ToC is going to be much harder then it was pugging through Naxx in 3.0. Do people even do heroics anymore?

Btw Sorry Spruchy :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I did Naxx with Old BC gear and some quest rewards. It's really easy, plus there is some good gear in there to get you started. And yeah, people do a bunch of heroics all the time. It's pretty easy to get the Tier 8.5 Chest and Head.

Swag

Nice I didn't want to have to deal with looking for New Player only raids because I have done the content so many times it's almost mind numbing.

Is survival still the Go To spec for end game hunter raiding?

mclem said:
Could you not, er, do the remaining seasonal achievements next year? It's not like they're going away, unless I've missed a Blue stating a deadline for Long, Strange Trip. Or do you simply mean you'll be stopping playing at some point in the near future?
I could, but I've decided not to put in another year of effort. I have no idea where I'll be in a year, so I'd rather focus my time on other things. I tried. I failed. I'm going to get something to eat from taco bell.:lol

Tamanon

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Nice I didn't want to have to deal with looking for New Player only raids because I have done the content so many times it's almost mind numbing.

Is survival still the Go To spec for end game hunter raiding?

Survival and Marks are neck-and-neck after the ArP nerf. Either one is just fine for raiding.

Swag

Tamanon said:
Survival and Marks are neck-and-neck after the ArP nerf. Either one is just fine for raiding.

Great, was gonna re - roll a priest if BM somehow came back from the dead :lol

yacobod

Banned
Tamanon said:

mm is still superior to survival, the gap may not be as large after the arp nerf but its still better by a good amount imo

Sebulon3k said:
What's the barrier to entry like for raiding now?

Decided to get back into the game and start leveling a hunter on my old account on Mal'Ganis Horde, noticing in almost all the lfm Raid shouts that people want a particular gear level, even for basic stuff like Naxx. Kinda worried that getting geared up to do stuff like Ulduar and ToC is going to be much harder then it was pugging through Naxx in 3.0. Do people even do heroics anymore?

Btw Sorry Spruchy :lol

Do Regular ToC 5-man and if you can find a group willing to carry you through the heroic version, that as well. You can get geared to a decent level fast doing this.

Kyoufu

Mr Pockets said:
310% Mounts are totally worth it.

Loving mine for looks and utility.

Still not the best mount in game though. That title still belongs to my fav Headless Horseman mount. Ground & Air beats speed in air only.

Best part about that mount is the instant cast. Sooo good.

Tamanon said:
I'm a marks hunter and I've never really done any dungeons and my gear absolutely sucks. I know how to play my spec though and I want some good gear so I'm wondering where to start. Also, I'm not really experienced in CC, so I could mostly provide DPS and not much else.

Who is even going to group with someone like me? Where should I start? My buddy told me VH would be good. What do you think?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
approximately how long before wrath came out did they increase the levelling speed* from 60-70?

i want to know so i can plan my return to WoW based around when they do the same for wrath content, so i can get my 70 lock up to 80 in time for Cataclysm.

*or decrease the EXP requirements

Kyoufu

Scrow said:
approximately how long before wrath came out did they increase the levelling speed* from 60-70?

*or decrease the EXP requirements

A few weeks or a month. Basically whenever Patch 3.0 came out, which was the pre-wotlk patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom