• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

The Lamonster said:
I'm a marks hunter and I've never really done any dungeons and my gear absolutely sucks. I know how to play my spec though and I want some good gear so I'm wondering where to start. Also, I'm not really experienced in CC, so I could mostly provide DPS and not much else.

Who is even going to group with someone like me? Where should I start? My buddy told me VH would be good. What do you think?

Just start doing heroics or normal 5 mans. Any of em. No one CC's in dungeons anymore ... and if they do it's VERY rarely.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Macattk15 said:
Just start doing heroics or normal 5 mans. Any of em. No one CC's in dungeons anymore ... and if they do it's VERY rarely.

Which reminds me, i used Sheep yesterday in Heroic UP. SHEEP! I forgot the last time i used it in a 5 man. Because the tank thought he was badass and pulled the whole room before King Ymiron(you know with the guys summoning skeletons and fearing the whole group).

We still died. :(

Evlar

Banned
The Lamonster said:
I'm a marks hunter and I've never really done any dungeons and my gear absolutely sucks. I know how to play my spec though and I want some good gear so I'm wondering where to start. Also, I'm not really experienced in CC, so I could mostly provide DPS and not much else.

Who is even going to group with someone like me? Where should I start? My buddy told me VH would be good. What do you think?
As DPS you're in good shape since the rest of the group can easily carry you along, presuming of course the other DPS are geared well enough to pick up the slack. Technically UK and Nexus are the entry-level heroics, followed by VH and DTK. In practice you can do any heroic as long as the other four are adequately powerful. Unfortunately, WoW is populated by a higher than average ratio of dicks and douches and some of them will gripe about your awful damage output like it's causing them physical pain. Either learn to ignore them, find a good group of friends who will help you out, or join a guild that's happy to help new 80's get a footing.

It's the tanks and healers who have difficulty getting started in heroics. My guild just brings them along as gimpy DPS to get them geared.

Macattk15 said:
Evlar said:
As DPS you're in good shape since the rest of the group can easily carry you along, presuming of course the other DPS are geared well enough to pick up the slack. Technically UK and Nexus are the entry-level heroics, followed by VH and DTK. In practice you can do any heroic as long as the other four are adequately powerful. Unfortunately, WoW is populated by a higher than average ratio of dicks and douches and some of them will gripe about your awful damage output like it's causing them physical pain. Either learn to ignore them, find a good group of friends who will help you out, or join a guild that's happy to help new 80's get a footing.

It's the tanks and healers who have difficulty getting started in heroics. My guild just brings them along as gimpy DPS to get them geared.
Thanks guys, I'll get started!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Boo to long ass restart last night. I was 20k xp away from 79 :lol

We were winning av alot last night, must have won 5 games in a row and then there was the last game, before shutdown. It's like everyone turned into a fucking idiot. I hate it when that happens.

evlcookie said:
Boo to long ass restart last night. I was 20k xp away from 79 :lol

We were winning av alot last night, must have won 5 games in a row and then there was the last game, before shutdown. It's like everyone turned into a fucking idiot. I hate it when that happens.
:lol true.

Swag

Levelling from 1-58 seems to be taking forever even with RAF, was expecting to get to Outlands within 13 hours of playtime, only at 35 after 14 hours :lol

Sebulon3k said:
Levelling from 1-58 seems to be taking forever even with RAF, was expecting to get to Outlands within 13 hours of playtime, only at 35 after 14 hours :lol
13 hours isn't very much. You can't expect to complete the entire classic WoW experience in less than a day :lol

Swag

Probably expecting too much from RAF, just want to be 60 already so I can see how Outlands looks with graphics on ultra :lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Sebulon3k said:

How did you come up with that random number for levelling? 4 levels an hour?

Cipherr

Kyoufu said:
Best part about that mount is the instant cast. Sooo good.

Didnt they nerf that? It has a cast time now doesnt it?

In any case I am so on that motherfucker this year. I want that SO bad for my warlock, you have no idea.

Lain

I read this over at mmochampion:

Garrosh is confirmed to be the new leader of the Horde. He has redesigned Orgrimmar and the Taurens and Orcs are the only races allowed in the center of the city because they're the only ones strong enough to defend it.

And it annoyed me.
I bet it is old news to many (the Garrosh thing for sure) but the part about only allowing Tauren and Orcs in the center of Orgrimmar I didn't know about it before, and I find it so lame.
I already despise Garrosh, but now also this race bullshit (I don't care if it is meant for NPC only or what, it still sounds stupid)?

mcrae

ianswoody said:
Just made it into Outland for the first time. Pretty excited to finally see what's going on in here. Does anyone PUG these instances anymore? I really would like to try out everything the new world has to offer.

this is my exact situation, i logged in to my free BC trial with my vanilla wow 60 warlock last night.

hey.. anyone have a guild on bleeding hollow that wants a recruit?

Lain said:

And it annoyed me.
I bet it is old news to many (the Garrosh thing for sure) but the part about only allowing Tauren and Orcs in the center of Orgrimmar I didn't know about it before, and I find it so lame.
I already despise Garrosh, but now also this race bullshit (I don't care if it is meant for NPC only or what, it still sounds stupid)?

I hope we
pull a Wrathgate UC retake on his ass in Cata.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Lain said:

And it annoyed me.
I love it, because of the amount of QQing about it. Plus, honestly i think it's for the best, it's bringing the war back in warcraft + story advancement.
And i'm pretty sure there building up the alliance leader to be equally as unlikeable as garrosh.

Belfast

I was looking through the Cataclysm trailer again, and paused it at this screen:

mysteryspot.jpg

The problem is that I can't place where it is. Since it has a Tauren elevator, I imagine it's in North or Central Kalimdor somewhere, but it doesn't seem to match up with any existing area. I know this is likely a "revamped" part of a zone, but even then, I can't think of a place where there is Tauren outpost on a single, elevated bluff besides Thousand Needles, and the mountain in the background doesn't match that, either.

There seem to be siege vehicles on the ground.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Belfast said:
I was looking through the Cataclysm trailer again, and paused it at this screen:

mysteryspot.jpg

The problem is that I can't place where it is. Since it has a Tauren elevator, I imagine it's in North or Central Kalimdor somewhere, but it doesn't seem to match up with any existing area. I know this is likely a "revamped" part of a zone, but even then, I can't think of a place where there is Tauren outpost on a single, elevated bluff besides Thousand Needles, and the mountain in the background doesn't match that, either.

thousand needles would be my guess

Retro

Belfast said:
The problem is that I can't place where it is.

Stonetalon Mountains, maybe? It's supposedly going to get changed quite a bit. Only other place I can think of is maybe South Barrens after being wrecked.

Swag

Jazzy Network said:
For some reason everytime I log in, my key bindings get reset to nothing. Anyone have this issue?

Are you sharing your account with someone else on a different computer? This used to wipe my key binds whenever the other person would log in

Sebulon3k said:
Are you sharing your account with someone else on a different computer? This used to wipe my key binds whenever the other person would log in

No. Actually everything is getting reset. Stuff like my video settings and game settings. WTF is going on?

Belfast

Retro said:
Stonetalon Mountains, maybe? It's supposedly going to get changed quite a bit. Only other place I can think of is maybe South Barrens after being wrecked.

That was honestly my best guess, too.

Tamanon

Banned
I think it's the new South Barrens personally.

Man, first time in ToC(5 man regular), just hit 80 today on my cat druid and got 3 caster epics from my first run through with a pug, will be switching to moonkin/tree tomorrow, lol. Such a quick instance.

Manus

Looks like Thousand Needles.

Well I just dinged 52 on my first toon and I'm RAF so I go there pretty quickly. But boy has the exp slowed down, usually I was pulling 15k a quest now I'm just doing around 8k to 9k. Is this the slowest part of leveling?

Tamanon

Banned
Nah, 50+ should be breezing through, I was getting 8k or 9k a quest even without RAF. Longest levels had always been the 40s.:lol

Manus

Haha, well I just left the Crater that's where I was getting 8k from quests. The dinosaurs were so annoying.

Any other suggestions for zones for leveling up on Horde?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
SquirrelNuckle said:
Haha, well I just left the Crater that's where I was getting 8k from quests. The dinosaurs were so annoying.

Any other suggestions for zones for leveling up on Horde?

If you're finish with the crater, you may want to try Felwood. That zone isn't too bad, then after head to plaguelands. Sometime in there you should ding to head to Outlands.

Weenerz said:
So I am 16,000g lighter, I picked up a Traveler's Tundra. I like having a reagent and repair vendor 1.5 seconds away.

I was going to gloat about being an engineer until I realised that I've probably spent that much levelling the skill. :lol

NameGenerated said:
But 40s have STV, my favorite pre-BC zone. :D

D:

When it came time on my last 80 I just couldn't do STV again, and that was after mounts came in before 40 (think it was 30 at the time). It's just so big and grindy... what's the appeal for you?

Atrophis

jim-jam bongs said:
When it came time on my last 80 I just couldn't do STV again, and that was after mounts came in before 40 (think it was 30 at the time). It's just so big and grindy... what's the appeal for you?

PVP'ing in Booty Bay before the guards got uber :p

yacobod

Banned
did 10m togc with the guild yesterday

got tribute of mad skill, we wiped twice, so had 48 attempts remaining, should be able to get tribute to insanity, we wiped on jaraxxus once because we had 2 ppl disconnect during the fight, and then we had a weird wipe on twins

getting the cloaks would be real nice

jim-jam bongs said:
D:

I think it's pretty. And I also loved Un'Goro Crater because it was pretty.

and goddam I love dinosaurs

Macattk15

yacobod said:
did 10m togc with the guild yesterday

got tribute of mad skill, we wiped twice, so had 48 attempts remaining, should be able to get tribute to insanity, we wiped on jaraxxus once because we had 2 ppl disconnect during the fight, and then we had a weird wipe on twins

getting the cloaks would be real nice

Those cloaks are quite good ... i lost the Serrated Blades one to a feral druid last week :(

yacobod

Banned
Macattk15 said:
Those cloaks are quite good ... i lost the Serrated Blades one to a feral druid last week :(

i dont have much in the way of loot comp in our 10m, we run with only 1 melee an unholy dk, the rest are ranged, and i'm the only physical ranged

Yasser

Lafiel said:
I love it, because of the amount of QQing about it. Plus, honestly i think it's for the best, it's bringing the war back in warcraft + story advancement.
And i'm pretty sure there building up the alliance leader to be equally as unlikeable as garrosh.
i honestly don't think blizz will stick to keeping it restricted to 2 races only, i'm sure there'll be some questline to gain access or some phased location in the city

ianswoody

LOL Hellfire Ramparts is awesome. Ran it about 4 times in an hour last night. Every piece of loot in there basically craps on everything I've seen elsewhere by a long shot. Now I know why there was so much QQing when it first came out. Oh brother!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ianswoody said:
LOL Hellfire Ramparts is awesome. Ran it about 4 times in an hour last night. Every piece of loot in there basically craps on everything I've seen elsewhere by a long shot. Now I know why there was so much QQing when it first came out. Oh brother!

Yeah... people we're crying how their fabulous raid epics that took them 2 years to get would be replaced by some blue in a 5 man dungeon. About the same thing happened when WOTLK came out, although it wasn't as bad since raiding wasn't as hardcore as pre-BC and you could still keep your epics for a while. But now, since raid epics are so easy to get, i don't think people will whine too much about this when Cataclysm is out.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ianswoody said:
Unless you spent time in BWL or Naxx, yeah your gear is gonna get replaced in the 60-62 levels.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/underdev/3p3/icecrown.xml

3.3 closer than we thought?

Icecrown Citadel will feature a massive five-player dungeon sprawling across three wings of the citadel's foundation. While the Lich King's attention is focused on the Argent Crusade and the Knights of the Ebon Blade ripping through the front gates, players will be tested as they assist Jaina Proudmoore (Alliance) and Sylvanas Windrunner (Horde) in infiltrating the citadel through an alternate entrance.

An epic quest line will present adventurers with the task of weakening Icecrown Citadel's forces, requiring that players defeat the challenges in each dungeon wing before venturing into the next one. Normal and Heroic versions of the dungeon will be accessible to players, although each wing will be considered a separate instance; therefore, on Heroic difficulty, each wing will have its own separate lockout timer. All-new rewards -- including item level 219 (normal) and level 232 (Heroic) loot -- will be offered to those who destroy some of the Lich King's most formidable allies.

How many healers do you guys run with on heroic ToC for anub?While 2 healing it, we were wiping consistently last night on phase 3 due to lack of healing. But when trying to 3 heal it we didn't have the dps to get him to phase 3 with only one burrow.

Also something annoying that's popped up while doing 10 mans - there seems to be no cloaks in ToC 10 outside of the tribute chest. That seems pretty unfair for 10 man guilds.

yacobod

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
How many healers do you guys run with on heroic ToC for anub?While 2 healing it, we were wiping consistently last night on phase 3 due to lack of healing. But when trying to 3 heal it we didn't have the dps to get him to phase 3 with only one burrow.

Also something annoying that's popped up while doing 10 mans - there seems to be no cloaks in ToC 10 outside of the tribute chest. That seems pretty unfair for 10 man guilds.

2 heal it, do you guys have an MS effect on anub in p3 during leech? that might help idk
if you have the dps you should be killing anub after 1 burrow phase, we have a holy pally, resto druid healing

border

I think it's pretty cool that you get to run the new dungeon with Jaina or Sylvanas alongside you, though we'll probably get stuck in a bunch of tedious RP/dialogue segments that won't be as fun when you are running the dungeon the 15th time for that one rare drop.

It's also nice that even 5-player fans will get to fight Arthas, even if it'll probably just end with one of those "Haha, I'm leaving -- see you at the top floor of the Citadel, IF YOU DARE!" conclusions. While it wasn't exactly rocket science, I really liked the fight with The Black Knight in ToC and I'm hoping they can do something equally ambitious with the Arthas 5-man encounter.

LORE QUESTION:

Sylvanas, thirsty for vengeance against the corrupted prince who sentenced her to an existence as an undead monstrosity

Does she really hate her existence that much? Kinda weird that someone tortured with such self-loathing would want to lead an entire faction....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom