• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Macattk15 said:
Ok but then the rest of the set just looks boring and plain. I need to see what kind of shoulders they put on it too ... maybe it won't make the helm stick out so damn much.
They've got the shoulders shown on the front page of MMO Champion. Big-ass spikes pointing everywhere with a little color at the tips.

yacobod

Banned
is anyone in a guild that has killed anub yet in 25m togc?

i think only 1 guild on my server has downed him so far, there are like 9 or 10 guilds that have downed twin valks tho, the guild (Blood Legion) that has downed heroic anub also got tribute to insanity in 25m on tuesday tho

Evlar

Banned
Set Holy as my Dual Spec talent build yesterday and tried a heroic just to get used to the tools and my altered interface. Ughh, didn't like it much at all. Disc just seems much more capable of coping with unexpected situations.

There's one person in this thread (can't remember his name) that has probably killed it but I think Angry Grimace ran him off by screaming "poopsocker" at him a few hundred times.

My guild is technically on Anub'arak but we only did 1 pull (it was late when we killed the Twins on Sunday) so I can't offer any insight into the fight besides what I've read. DPS requirements are fairly high, positioning and kiting in phase 1+2 have to be exact, and phase 3 is long (3 minutes or longer) and dangerous. I think most guilds are just using passive healing like judgment of light and healing stream totems to keep the raid alive and healing on Anub'arak low while assigning a healer per penetrating cold debuff (there are 5 at a time and healers have to find their new target within a second or so or someone's going to die so assignments are interesting).

It looks like EJ used 7 healers in phase 3 and had 2-3 of them DPS phases 1+2.

yacobod

Banned
cubicle47b said:
There's one person in this thread (can't remember his name) that has probably killed it but I think Angry Grimace ran him off by screaming "poopsocker" at him a few hundred times.

ya i think thats prolly fularu or however its spelled

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Wrekt said:
I've got good news for Pallies waiting for their tier 10 set.

Good news if you like pink armor with dildos hanging off of it, that is.

I only just noticed that Warriors have pig snouts on their T10 shoulders.

Macattk15

cubicle47b said:

My guild is technically on Anub'arak but we only did 1 pull (it was late when we killed the Twins on Sunday) so I can't offer any insight into the fight besides what I've read. DPS requirements are fairly high, positioning and kiting in phase 1+2 have to be exact, and phase 3 is long (3 minutes or longer) and dangerous. I think most guilds are just using passive healing like judgment of light and healing stream totems to keep the raid alive and healing on Anub'arak low while assigning a healer per penetrating cold debuff (there are 5 at a time and healers have to find their new target within a second or so or someone's going to die so assignments are interesting).

Pretty much what we are doing. We can usually get to phase 3 without any deaths but pretty much as soon as the 2nd wave of adds come into the fight in phase 3 ... something goes wrong and we end up wiping. We've killed Algalon 25 and pretty much everything else minus Yogg+0. Anub is proving to be a bit of a challenge ... not as hard as Algalon or anything ... it's all just execution.

We also use passive healing to keep most of the raid alive ... and healers specfically healing certain Permafrost'ed people through some wacky rotation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
cubicle47b said:

that guy was a douche, I hope I ran him off. :D

(I don't actually know who you're talking about)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

VaLiancY

Angry Grimace said:
I have yet to see a helm cool enough for me to show my helm.

Hunter Tier 7 & 8 I always had it on but I won't be showing my helm with T9 and T10.:lol

Seriously, scramble the art teams for the druid and rogues, this is a crime that other classes have meh armor sets.

Tamanon

Banned
I wonder why Blizzard even bothers spending any time whatsoever on our Druid sets anyways. You never see them except when standing around in Dalaran.

Angry Grimace

thatbox said:
Priest and paladin halos usually get me to show it.
By the time I got my Priest high enough level to get Tier gear, nobody was going to be heading to freakin' Kel'thuzad to get the halo though. And the T8 Priest Cult-mask wasn't lighting the world on fire, either. :lol

It's probably too much to ask, but I wish that Blizz wouldn't use the Tier Sets as a base model for other armor of the same type, i.e. when DK T8 was the "base" plate-armor model in Ulduar, so everyone wearing a plate hat looked like a DK in T8.

speedpop

Angry Grimace said:
I have yet to see a helm cool enough for me to show my helm.
Druid T2 helm is the best. People will stop in the middle of what they're doing to check out your Stormrage antlers.

Angry Grimace

speedpop said:
Druid T2 helm is the best. People will stop in the middle of what they're doing to check out your Stormrage antlers.
Yeah, I picked them up on my Druid, although obviously the new lvl 80 Stormrage covers look the same...I still have the old ones.

lordmrw

Those Rogue Shoulders and Gauntlet are awesome, but that helmet? Oh hell no. If I ever get it I'm gonna be grateful that I have it set to not show. I still really like the Eviscerator's Gauntlets the best.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
speedpop said:

So wrong. Bloodfang was the best thing ever. Those small red eyes staring at you, i love and miss that helm.

VaLiancY

Some of the Tier 10 set bonuses have been changed and when I say changed some have been tweaked or the set number have been exchanged.

That Hunter 4PC is still meh'. They should change the wording on the tool tip since Viper Sting does no damage.

VaLiancY said:
Some of the Tier 10 set bonuses have been changed and when I say changed some have been tweaked or the set number have been exchanged.

That Hunter 4PC is still meh'. They should change the wording on the tool tip since Viper Sting does no damage.

"4 piece bonus - Reduces the channel duration and period of your Mind Flay spell by 0.5 seconds."

Got changed so fucking fast. :lol

Seriously, how could they NOT see that being broken as all hell? They had to wait till theorycrafters did all of 4 minutes' work figuring it! :lol

Do they even know they have a Priest class? Do they draw straws to see who has to deal with new Priest stuff? :lol

I'm not so grimly happy over the talk about the 2pc healy set though, I have little desire to turn GS into a rotation bullshit. Some are talking bringing 3 priests for tank checks and keeping it up constantly...

Cipherr

Warlock

* 2 piece bonus - The critical strike chance of your Shadowbolt, Incinerate, Soulfire, and Corruption spells is increased by 5%.
* 4 piece bonus - Each time your Immolate and Unstable Affliction spells deal periodic damage, you have a 15% chance to gain 10% damage done by you and your pet for 10 seconds.

Umm, hell yeah? Man that 4 piece is nice, it will scale perfectly unlike the haste proc it had before which only effects the lock (not the pet) and hardcaps during stuff like haste trinket procs and heroism. Man all they need to do is add either conflag or chaos bolt to the 2 piece set. This way destro also has two spells effected by the two piece the same way demo and affliction do.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Anyone else think it is kind of odd that the lore introduced in TBC has had almost zero screentime in Wotlk? Stuff like Naaru and Ethereal have kind of fallen by the wayside. The Legion and Ethereals i can kind of get not making an appearance, but it seems really odd that there has been zero Naaru help against the Scourge.. well there was that one quest line with the dying Argent guy, but beyond that nothing.

The priest tier 10 makes my head spin. 10% extra healing after GS/PS? Flash heals reset Penance or Circle of Healing cooldown?!? I thought that the 10% DA/ER boost from the T9 4-piece was good, but that was nothing compared with the T10.

Arozay

cubicle47b said:

Sock has filled up with those grueling 1 night raid weeks.

x2 Healing Streams, JoL and downranked rejuv's cover the raid, chain aura mastery and frost pots as needed. Shamans and Disc Priests cover penetrating cold based off grid order. Once the healing is basically self-managed the fight becomes pretty mechanical in a sense that as long as the people assigned to penetrating cold don't suck you can keep the raid up indefinitely till enrage and then scold your dps about sucking at aoe'ing.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
jim-jam bongs said:
The priest tier 10 makes my head spin. 10% extra healing after GS/PS? Flash heals reset Penance or Circle of Healing cooldown?!? I thought that the 10% DA/ER boost from the T9 4-piece was good, but that was nothing compared with the T10.

There's nothing good about the priest p4 set that i can see. The % of procs isn't high enough, but i am an oceanic player so my ping is 400+.

My priest has 1.2-1.3s fh's, by the time penance is off cd i'm able to cast about 5 fhs. So that in theory gives me a 75% chance to reset my penance cd by the time the cd is actually reset.

It needs to be higher.

evlcookie said:
There's nothing good about the priest p4 set that i can see. The % of procs isn't high enough, but i am an oceanic player so my ping is 400+.

My priest has 1.2-1.3s fh's, by the time penance is off cd i'm able to cast about 5 fhs. So that in theory gives me a 75% chance to reset my penance cd by the time the cd is actually reset.

It needs to be higher.

I'm on Khaz'Goroth (Sydney-sider) so I know your ping pains. You have to remember though that it's not supposed to proc every "rotation"; that 10% has likely been calculated against the amount of healing it would add over a whole fight or even a whole raid.

Having said that, most of the time I heal raids holy these days and upping the proc rate would also seriously unbalance things for holy because of Surge of Light. You'd have a holy priest on a good RNG night casting CoH > SoL Flash Heal > CoH over and over.

It might be possible to up the proc rate and remove it from the SoL insta-heal, I guess. Considering all the knock-on effects that changing shield procs had recently, I have a feeling it might be a tricky code change. The SoL heal seems to be treated as a regular Flash Heal by Serendipity so I don't think it's all that different.

speedpop

Number 2 said:
Anyone else think it is kind of odd that the lore introduced in TBC has had almost zero screentime in Wotlk? Stuff like Naaru and Ethereal have kind of fallen by the wayside. The Legion and Ethereals i can kind of get not making an appearance, but it seems really odd that there has been zero Naaru help against the Scourge.. well there was that one quest line with the dying Argent guy, but beyond that nothing.
I think that has more to do with the Lich King being independent of the Burning Legion, as you stated. Whilst this is purely speculation but I believe the Naaru have side-stepped out of the way for a reason; this is a fight for the denizens of Azeroth, and Azeroth alone. They helped create it, they let it happen, and they were affected by it enormously. Yes the majority of Horde was able to escape the wrath of the Lich King, but if it wasn't for the Scourge there would be no Forsaken and no Blood Elves.

Sure the Scourge plague was created by the Burning Legion, but its manifested itself to proportions that even the Legion weren't able to control properly and it consequently broke off into its own power sect. That's why I like to think that we won't see any Naaru action.

http://www.curse.com/articles/wow-en-news/584417.aspx

Warcraft Movie Gets Title - Warcraft: Rise of the Lich King

For those of you that have been waiting for more news on the Warcraft movie, it's finally here! Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures recently updated the entry for the movie on IMDb.

What's in the update, you ask? They've decided on a title and story. The movie will be called Warcraft: Rise of the Lich King. It will probably follow along with the recent Christie Golden novel and tell the tale of Arthas as he progresses from childhood to, well... one of the most powerful villains Azeroth has ever seen.

It's only been a few months since it was announced that Sam Raimi would direct the movie, and albeit not surprising since he really is a 'golden-boy-gone-wrong' tale worth turning into a movie, I'm very excited to hear more about this now that we have a title.

Who do you think would fit playing the major characters involved in Arthas' childhood and his march toward darkness? Jaina? Uther? A young Varian Wrynn? King Terenas? Antonidas? Who else could we see? If you check out the Arthas: Rise of the Lich King entry on WoWWiki, there are a ton of different characters references in the novel.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So we're gonna beat the guy that they're basing the movie on, and then move onto someone less powerful.

Sounds logical.

Retro

LAUGHTREY said:
So we're gonna beat the guy that they're basing the movie on, and then move onto someone less powerful.

Sounds logical.

Pretty sure in the pantheon of Warcraft beings, the Dragon Aspects (of which Deathwing is a member) are like Demigods. I'd have to look at the Lolore, but I'm pretty sure Deathwing also deceived the others into giving up some degree of their power, allowing him to become the strongest. I think that's been retconned or changed in one of the books though.

Anyways, if the Titans are Gods, the Dragons are pretty much Angels, and Deathwing is the equivalent of Lucifer. I fail to see how he's 'less powerful'.

In regards to the WoW Movie, aren't people who have no idea what WoW is going to see trailers for this and assume it's connected to Lord of the Rings? Icecrown is pretty much Mordor in Winter, and everything from the design of the Citadel to Arthas' armor design screams Sauron. Not to mention the elves and orcs running around.

I just think there are more interesting things you could do with the Warcraft universe than put the spotlight on what is arguably the most blatantly Tolkien-esque parts.

speedpop

mamacint said:
IMDb, whilst a great source of information, is at times misleading. One of those times seems to be correct in this circumstance, and any serious film fanatic themselves would have gotten out of the circle of meaningless controversies and gossip by signing up to IMDb Pro where the real producers and such work at. People would be surprised by the amount of producers who actively search through that content.

That said, I imagine the Warcraft movie to work upon something new conjured up by the Lore crew, perhaps even adopting something from the comics within the next 6-12 months span. Remember this is a film that is only just heading into pre-production which means at least another 2-3 years till we see the release date.

Weenerz

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:

Sounds logical.

Deathwing(Neltharion the Earthwarder) was put in charge of the earth by the Titans (Warcraft's "God"), along with 4 other dragon aspects being put in charge of various other things. The Lich King was very much created by a very powerful demon (well half of the Lich King was, the other part being a spoiled brat Paladin named Arthas). According to ww.Wowwiki.com, "The Lich King was created by Kil'jaeden the Deceiver from the spirit of the orcish shaman Ner'zhul. Initially trapped within the Frozen Throne, the Lich King eventually merged with the human Arthas Menethil becoming one being and the new Lich King. He is the creator of the Scourge and rules over it telepathically from his throne atop Icecrown Glacier."

So the Lich King is currently the toughest villain we have to fight in-game, he isn't the most powerful villain in Warcraft lore. That title goes to Sargeras.

Kyoufu

Paladin

* 2 Pieces (Damage): (Updated) Your melee attacks have a 40% chance to reset the cooldown on your Divine Storm ability.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT omg.

In other news, I am now the 2nd best geared ret on my server after getting my BiS 258 chest. Wewt.

speedpop

Sargeras is definitely the biggest baddie possible due to him being as an old Champion of Titans himself. Blizzard haven't stated as such but I imagine the next few end bosses within the game and its expansions go like this:

Deathwing > Azshara > The Nightmare in the Emerald Dream (possibly controlled by a single unnamed Old God or several Old Gods) > Kil'jaeden > Sargeras.

Sraza

Neo Member
I really like the holy pally tier 10

2pc Divine Favor CD is reduced by 60 seconds
4pc Holy Light casting time reduced by 0.3 seconds for 10 seconds after Holy Shock

I have /cast Divine Favor on my Holy Shock and cast it about every cd. niiiiiice.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Retro said:
Pretty sure in the pantheon of Warcraft beings, the Dragon Aspects (of which Deathwing is a member) are like Demigods. I'd have to look at the Lolore, but I'm pretty sure Deathwing also deceived the others into giving up some degree of their power, allowing him to become the strongest. I think that's been retconned or changed in one of the books though.

Anyways, if the Titans are Gods, the Dragons are pretty much Angels, and Deathwing is the equivalent of Lucifer. I fail to see how he's 'less powerful'.

In regards to the WoW Movie, aren't people who have no idea what WoW is going to see trailers for this and assume it's connected to Lord of the Rings? Icecrown is pretty much Mordor in Winter, and everything from the design of the Citadel to Arthas' armor design screams Sauron. Not to mention the elves and orcs running around.

I just think there are more interesting things you could do with the Warcraft universe than put the spotlight on what is arguably the most blatantly Tolkien-esque parts.

The first part is true, they would be the equivalent to Kil'Jaeden in some sense. They were given their powers by the titans. However if any sort of consistency is to be had Alexstraza and Malygos should be at least equal to Deathwing. It doesn't make sense to have those guardians but have them all unbalanced in power, if we beat Malygos why wouldn't Deathwing be just as strong? And yeah the demon soul was destroyed so all the Dragons have their powers back.

Kil'jaeden created the Lich King from the soul Ner'zul. He sent him to azeroth to weaken it for the legion. After a while the Lich King started doing his own thing and KJ started to fear him or what he could become, so he sent Illidan while LK was still in the Frozen Throne to destroy him.

KJ was scared of him while he was trapped in a giant ice cube, if KJ is second to Sargeras the most powerful Titan, there's no way that Deathwing is also more powerful than KJ.

Weenerz

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
The first part is true, they would be the equivalent to Kil'Jaeden in some sense. They were given their powers by the titans. However if any sort of consistency is to be had Alexstraza and Malygos should be at least equal to Deathwing. It doesn't make sense to have those guardians but have them all unbalanced in power, if we beat Malygos why wouldn't Deathwing be just as strong? And yeah the demon soul was destroyed so all the Dragons have their powers back.

Kil'jaeden created the Lich King from the soul Ner'zul. He sent him to azeroth to weaken it for the legion. After a while the Lich King started doing his own thing and KJ started to fear him or what he could become, so he sent Illidan while LK was still in the Frozen Throne to destroy him.

KJ was scared of him while he was trapped in a giant ice cube, if KJ is second to Sargeras the most powerful Titan, there's no way that Deathwing is also more powerful than KJ.

Blizzard stated at Blizzcon that Deathwing has become more powerful that the other aspects because of outside influence from an unnamed Old God. Previously, Deathwing was more powerful because he wielded the Dragon Soul, and that was only because he convinced the other 4 aspects to put a portion of their power into the soul, while he did not put any of his power into it. The Dragon Soul was destroyed and the aspects have gotten their power back.

yacobod

Banned
who cares about the lore in this game seriously

each new raid or expansion features the newest & most powerful bad guy to down for loot at that time

Weenerz said:
Blizzard stated at Blizzcon that Deathwing has become more powerful that the other aspects because of outside influence from an unnamed Old God. Previously, Deathwing was more powerful because he wielded the Dragon Soul, and that was only because he convinced the other 4 aspects to put a portion of their power into the soul, while he did not put any of his power into it. The Dragon Soul was destroyed and the aspects have gotten their power back.

this convoluted explanation only reinforces my previous statement

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I don't know shit about WoW lore. I never read quests or dialog or anything like that. It goes something like "Oh a new quest" *click*click*click* figure out what animal pelt or random thing I have to collect, *click*click*select reward with largest vendor price* on to the next one.

TomServo

Zaro said:
Sock has filled up with those grueling 1 night raid weeks.

Exactly.

Never understood the "poopsocker" thing directed at top guilds. Chances are they raid a hell of a lot less than the "casual" guilds that wipe all over the goddamn place.

Hell, I know this for a fact. When I was filling in open DPS slots for "casual raiding" guilds at the start of WotLK it would at least three times as long to get things done as it did when I got bumped up as a raider in my current guild. It's still happening; I hear our guild's casuals bitch about pugging w/ other guilds that spend hours wiping to Onxyia and easymode Anub.

I'm sure some of those casuals assume I'm a poopsocker because I'm a core raider in the server's top guild (we're like top 1000 in the world, lawl) but shit, I raid at most 12 hours a week spread out over three nights (none of which are Friday or Saturday). They spend more time accomplishing less in their "casual raiding" guilds.

speedpop

yacobod said:
who cares about the lore in this game seriously

each new raid or expansion features the newest & most powerful bad guy to down for loot at that time
Not everyone is a closet poopsocker like you yacobod ;)

NameGenerated said:
I don't know shit about WoW lore. I never read quests or dialog or anything like that. It goes something like "Oh a new quest" *click*click*click* figure out what animal pelt or random thing I have to collect, *click*click*select reward with largest vendor price* on to the next one.
Some quest dialogue is absolute bullshit, and there are even times when I don't read it. But ultimately the time between reading quest description, knowing where the quest location is, and the quest drop requirement (i.e. 4 vegetable roots!) is inconsequential. Everyone does the same shit regardless and a minute here, or 30 mins there, or an hour somewhere aren't really going to kill me in reality.

I play the game for the story. If people can't accept that then I suggest that they pay for my subscription.

Weenerz said:
yacobod said:
this convoluted explanation only reinforces my previous statement
Problem is this story harkens back to prior WC3. The unnamed Old God has always been assumed as the Old God who is controlling this "Nightmare" in the Emerald Dream. I keep saying this but no fucker seems to acknowledge it - a lot of the shit in Cataclysm has been there since prior or present WC3. It's only now that we're finally getting some form of story progression and recognition in WoW. People complain that the story is confusing and such but I just raise my eyebrows and state that it has barely moved a single inch since Frozen Throne.

yacobod

Banned
speedpop said:
Not everyone is a closet poopsocker like you yacobod ;)

I play the game for the story. If people can't accept that then I suggest that they pay for my subscription.

no doubt, but i think given the nature of the game, lore is constantly changing depending on what blizzard is trying to push or sell to us with each patch/expansion, i originally started playing wow because i played the shit out of WC3 + TFT and i was a big fan of blizzard games in general

now 5 years later we are finally gearing up to face arthas, and i guess bring some sort of conclusion to a storyline that was started in WC3, so i think thats pretty cool, i consider what happened in WC3 to be sort of cannon in this universe, what they are doing in comics/books and w/e else i sort of disregard, so i'm not particularly interested in cataclysm or emerald dream or w/e else lies ahead, because blizzard is making shit up as they go, so what ever comes in the future will be more powerful then what u downed before, its the nature of the beast, so i dont put much thought into it

there will always be some old god that has reawakened to down, etc

Evlar

Banned
TomServo said:
Exactly.

Never understood the "poopsocker" thing directed at top guilds. Chances are they raid a hell of a lot less than the "casual" guilds that wipe all over the goddamn place.

Hell, I know this for a fact. When I was filling in open DPS slots for "casual raiding" guilds at the start of WotLK it would at least three times as long to get things done as it did when I got bumped up as a raider in my current guild. It's still happening; I hear our guild's casuals bitch about pugging w/ other guilds that spend hours wiping to Onxyia and easymode Anub.

I'm sure some of those casuals assume I'm a poopsocker because I'm a core raider in the server's top guild (we're like top 1000 in the world, lawl) but shit, I raid at most 12 hours a week spread out over three nights (none of which are Friday or Saturday). They spend more time accomplishing less in their "casual raiding" guilds.
As a member of an actual casual guild I can say we spend nowhere near 12 hours per week raiding. More like 3 or 4. The idea that 4 hours a day, three days a week is "minimal" is honestly kinda funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom