• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
LAUGHTREY said:
The hunter armor looks like they strapped a dagger to the forehead.
It's only logical. When an enemy is rushing towards you yet you've filled it with arrows, once it gets into melee distance just deliver the killing blow ala headbutt of fury.

markot

Banned
speedpop said:
It's only logical. When an enemy is rushing towards you yet you've filled it with arrows, once it gets into melee distance just deliver the killing blow ala headbutt of fury.
Worked for ze Germans!

border

Is it true that the XP bonus on Heirloom items stops working at level 60 or higher? So there's not point in buying that stuff for my Death Knight?

Tamanon

Banned
Heirlooms are useful all the way to 80, plus they're usually better stats than anything you can wear at that level.

Although Death Knights don't really need any help.

border said:
Is it true that the XP bonus on Heirloom items stops working at level 60 or higher? So there's not point in buying that stuff for my Death Knight?

Hmm I want to know this too. I've noticed the xp gains on my alt have lowered in Outlands, compared to the insane xp I was getting in eastern/western plaguelands; I was almost getting a bar and a half for every "big" quest turned in.

And I can't wait for cross-server LFG. I didn't mind having buddies run me through instances to get to 60, but I really want to get actual groups for outlands stuff. Alas, it seems like no one does them (I'm at lv62).

nataku

PhoenixDark said:
And I can't wait for cross-server LFG. I didn't mind having buddies run me through instances to get to 60, but I really want to get actual groups for outlands stuff. Alas, it seems like no one does them (I'm at lv62).

Same thing on my server. I got my Druid up to 64 soloing as a cat, but I want to try my hand at tanking and healing. Problem is hardly anyone wants a noob tank/healer in their group. And with so few people in Outlands (those that are there seem to be mostly DKs) I'm debating just waiting until Northrend to do it, but getting all the way there and having no experience at either seems like a bad idea...

The only way I can practice healing is in BGs, which works well enough, but there are always other healers there too so I'm not sure how well I'm really doing.

Maybe I just need to find a guild. I'm just extremely casual though so it's hard to find something that fits well with me. I have no interest in serious raiding at all.

ianswoody

PD, nataku: What servers are you on? I'm leveling through Outland for the first time and I've been having a great time. I've been able to PUG the first 3 major instances there (Ramparts, Underbog and Slave Pens), but I still haven't found a group for Mana Tombs. Outland overall has been a great experience. Great questlines and the narrative seems a bit more stream-lined.

Edit: Duh, should put my server. I'm Mannoroth

nataku

ianswoody said:
PD, nataku: What servers are you on? I'm leveling through Outland for the first time and I've been having a great time. I've been able to PUG the first 3 major instances there (Ramparts, Underbog and Slave Pens), but I still haven't found a group for Mana Tombs. Outland overall has been a great experience. Great questlines and the narrative seems a bit more stream-lined.

Edit: Duh, should put my server. I'm Mannoroth

Gurubashi here.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
border said:

No, they shouldn't. I used one heirloom item for my DK and two for my warlock, which are both 80. Every 20k quest i was turning in for my DK i was getting 22.X with one heirloom item from 70 - 80.

And i'm pretty sure it was working per kill as i grinded along.

Speaking of heirlooms; is trading down badges one at a time the only way to get heroism for them now? I bought the physical trinket for my rogue alt and having to trade 50 conquest to valor to heroism was awful.

jim-jam bongs said:
Speaking of heirlooms; is trading down badges one at a time the only way to get heroism for them now? I bought the physical trinket for my rogue alt and having to trade 50 conquest to valor to heroism was awful.

Yes, you can only get Conquest or Triumph badges now.
Also, you can buy them in bulk, just like any other item.

AceBandage said:
Yes, you can only get Conquest or Triumph badges now.
Also, you can buy them in bulk, just like any other item.
Yeah I get that you can only loot conquest and triumph, was mostly wondering about the trade-in method. Hadn't tried using the multi-item select. They should just change the price to XX badges of any kind imo, if only for heirlooms.

Cipherr

Going to be dropping enchanting for Alchemy when the patch hits if they dont change the new enchanting thing. Just on principle alone. From what Im told any enchanter in the group doesnt get a choice, if 4 people hit this new d/e buttong (that just automatically shows up if theres a chanter in the group, and ONLY if there is a chanter in the group) and the one enchanter hits greed, people are saying the item goes to the chanter as Greed is higher than D/E. That presents a terrible problem as those 4 people dont get a roll for the item if the enchanter doesnt want to de. It basically railroads you into, DE everything the group has drop and pass out the mats to the high roller or ninja. Since no self respecting person will ninja anything the chanter will be forced into one option.

If they start popping up loot windows when I mine on my hunter, or when I pick an herb on my mage for the group then fine, but Im not going to be forced hand over any and all benefit to the profession I leveled unless I WANT to. The same way everyone else does. If this goes live enchanters wont have a choice, and the market for enchanting materials tank as everyone gets to walk around with bags filled with dusts and essences and shards and crystals. Not just people who chose that profession, EVERYONE. I would much rather ditch enchanting and skill herbalism to max (its the cheapest profession to do without its gathering counterpart. Takes like 3k to level it using the AH for herbs.) And in cata when its time to level my Tailoring and I need dust for imbued cataclysm cloth Ill just buy dirt cheap dusts from the AH, and Ill easily level Alch 75 points with herbs from the AH also.

Its ironic because currently I de everything on every run the group asks for. So nothing would change for me, but I guess subconsciously I either enjoy or appreciate the fact, that in the end its always been my choice. I leveled it, I have decided to do that for groups and not charge for it or anything. This little change they are proposing fucks with me for some reason, Im guessing this is the reason why.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is it possible to change from Elixir master to Transmute master? Elixir master hardly does anything, I rarely get any extra elixirs and the double time on them isn't really a big deal. Might just drop alchemy all together and pick up jewel crafting.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm combat spec, but I'm wondering if it might be worth it to dual wield daggers instead of having a mace/sword main hand because

1. I get more damage from Fan of Knives.

2. I can get full benefit from maxing Close Quarters Combat in the Combat tree.

3. More speed from having 2 daggers.

Tamanon

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Is it possible to change from Elixir master to Transmute master? Elixir master hardly does anything, I rarely get any extra elixirs and the double time on them isn't really a big deal. Might just drop alchemy all together and pick up jewel crafting.

Yup, just go talk to the Elixir Mastery questgiver and pay 100 or 150gold to switch.

border

I'm a little confused as to what point there is at all to Alchemy (much less why someone like Puncture would drop Enchanting to take up Alchemy). The Mastery things rarely proc extra stuff and the passive benefit on potions and elixirs doesn't seem that helpful. At least in BC you got a cool epic trinket out of Alchemy -- now you don't get squat really.

Xabora

Wee guild just pissed me off.

"We're not doing hardmode ToC until Icecrown comes out"
My response:
"Then it'll pretty much be worthless then"
Guild:
"No it wont."

*sigh*

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
border said:
I'm a little confused as to what point there is at all to Alchemy (much less why someone like Puncture would drop Enchanting to take up Alchemy). The Mastery things rarely proc extra stuff and the passive benefit on potions and elixirs doesn't seem that helpful. At least in BC you got a cool epic trinket out of Alchemy -- now you don't get squat really.
It's about even with other professions in terms of bonuses to stats since you get extra points out of flasks, etc.

It's better than tailoring at least *shrug*

Kyoufu

Xabora said:
Wee guild just pissed me off.

"We're not doing hardmode ToC until Icecrown comes out"
My response:
"Then it'll pretty much be worthless then"
Guild:
"No it wont."

*sigh*

lol that makes no sense. Time to find a new guild imo!

Xabora

Kyoufu said:
lol that makes no sense. Time to find a new guild imo!
Yeah I know, I have a but of a wait before I can get to Mal'Ganis and the other guilds on my server tend to be ... bad?

Legends (French Canadian Guild of Awesome, REQ: Speak French... I don't speak French)
Members Only (Dickwads :V)
No Mercys (Caught the guild leaders stealing from the guild, burnt all bridges)
My Guild (No Hard Modes in ToC until Icecrown)

And the other misc guilds on the server are pretty much 10man only.

Kyoufu

Xabora said:
Yeah I know, I have about a 3 month wait before I can get into Goonsquad (Mal'Ganis) and the other guilds on my server tend to be ... bad?

Why would you wait 3 months to join Goon Squad? You can probably get an invite now to a better guild..... lol

border

Angry Grimace said:
It's about even with other professions in terms of bonuses to stats since you get extra points out of flasks, etc.
Except that you have to chug a damned flask to get the bonus, whereas the perks of other professions are one-time investments with a piddling cost of entry. I'm not going to chug a flask for PuGs and solo questing.

It's better than tailoring at least *shrug*

Are you kidding? Having Lightweave on your cloak is awesome....it's constantly proc'ing and considering that the other cloak enchants are such garbage you don't really have to give anything up to get it. You also get a pretty incredible discount on your leg enchants as well. I guess it's not a hot choice for melee characters, but you can hardly expect it to be.

Also it's +2 mounts for any mount collectors :)

I don't feel like Tailoring is mega-badass, but I certainly feel like I get more out of it than I would Alchemy (which I haven't even bothered leveling since I'm not an herbalist).

Xabora

Kyoufu said:
Why would you wait 3 months to join Goon Squad? You can probably get an invite now to a better guild..... lol
Yeah I know, its an option I have lying on the table in-case if things fall apart. :p

But right now I'm trying to get the guild pushed back in its prior direction instead of where its going now.
Sadly, the current direction means the guild will begin to fall apart in about 2 weeks.
Fallowed by the 3 weeks of denial while it happens. :|

I stopped it and got the guild back on direction before, which lasted about 3 weeks.

border

Sorry :lol

I guess looking at the recipe lists doesn't really tell the whole story on that one -- I had assumed that Flask was just a consumable. But I guess it's just a re-usable item with 1-hour buff?

explodet

Did they nerf ToC10 Anub recently? I did it twice on two of my 80s and the number of scarabs that spawned during the first two waves were miniscule compared to other times.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
explodet said:
Did they nerf ToC10 Anub recently? I did it twice on two of my 80s and the number of scarabs that spawned during the first two waves were miniscule compared to other times.
My guild, which has it's share of weaklings, 1 shotted it first time this week.

So probably.

Sciz

border said:
Eh, I like it. The ability to make all of your own potions and flasks is a very nice convenience, if nothing else. But you also get a cheap health/mana potion that procs other potions, you consume half as many flasks as everyone else, you get weak but reusable health and mana potions, and there are more than a few unique buffs available. Mastery procs are unreliable but pleasant surprises, and transmuting epic gems is a small but steady source of income, especially if you have a jewelcrafter. Wouldn't mind some proper epic trinkets, but oh well.
border said:
Sorry :lol

I guess looking at the recipe lists doesn't really tell the whole story on that one -- I had assumed that Flask was just a consumable. But I guess it's just a re-usable item with 1-hour buff?
Yep. Added in 3.1 so alchemists could get the same always-on stat buffs as every other crafting profession.

border

I gotta say it kinda bothers me that they have moved towards making every single profession have exactly the same overall stat bonuses. I guess it makes things easier to tune and prevents a great deal of whining over imbalance, but it almost feels like there's nothing really special about your profession. Everything is the same, so you might as well choose whatever makes money.....and everybody that picked a non-moneymaker feels a bit burned.

At this point I almost like Engineering the best, since there's just so many unique and very-exclusive perks.

Angry Grimace

border said:
I gotta say it kinda bothers me that they have moved towards making every single profession have exactly the same overall stat bonuses. I guess it makes things easier to tune and prevents a great deal of whining over imbalance, but it almost feels like there's nothing really special about your profession. Everything is the same, so you might as well choose whatever makes money.....and everybody that picked a non-moneymaker feels a bit burned.

At this point I almost like Engineering the best, since there's just so many unique and very-exclusive perks.
You must not have been around when people were dropping their professions to get the BiS Engineering helms. :lol

border

That helm was why I picked up Engineering midway through Burning Crusade, though I never was hardcore enough to care about "Best in Slot" sort of stuff. It was just an epic tanking helm coming at a time when it was hard to get epics outside of a raid.

That was what I liked at the time - every profession had some crazy, fun, unique (and epic) stuff to go along with it. Now every profession just comes with some generic buff that is the same for everyone, though perhaps it's disguised as a proc or some extra gem slots. Long-gone is the awesome BoP crafted stuff like Frozen Shadoweave, that felt like a real reward for investing in a particular profession. The engineering helms of today are almost all that remains of that, and they're hardly what they once were.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
border said:

There's really not a profession that can't make money. I'm talking as well as anything else too, you just have to know what to do.

border

LAUGHTREY said:
There's really not a profession that can't make money. I'm talking as well as anything else too, you just have to know what to do.
Somehow I doubt that. Everyone can make some money, but I doubt you're ever going to see a blacksmith as wealthy as a jewelcrafter (assuming each spends equal time at their craft).

And the "what to do" part of it is kind of important, is it not? There's a difference between circling around Icecrown for hours looking for herbs or veins, and being able to buy some raw materials off the AH, immediately craft them, then sell at a significant markup.

For a while I could sell tailoring Spellthreads at maybe a 100G+ markup, but the downside was that you really can't put up more than 1-2 per day because you can get undercut quickly and really only a handful of people were buying them each day. Even on a medium-sized server I guess it's not that often that a caster gets a new set of pants worthy of a 220g enchant :D

I guess some crafting professions got lucky for a while when the prices on mid-level mats plummeted and they could craft blues that would Disenchant into stuff that was more valuable than what you paid for the mats.......but with the Abyssal Shatter Apocalypse in swing I suspect the honeymoon on that is over.

It's been a while since I really looked into money-making, though my impression has always been that things rarely sold for much more than cost of materials, and even if they did the margins were so thin that you had to do some math and consider how much volume you could actually move.

Angry Grimace

border said:
Somehow I doubt that. Everyone can make some money, but I doubt you're ever going to see a blacksmith as wealthy as a jewelcrafter (assuming each spends equal time at their craft).

And the "what to do" part of it is kind of important, is it not? There's a difference between circling around Icecrown for hours looking for herbs or veins, and being able to buy some raw materials off the AH, immediately craft them, then sell at a significant markup.

For a while I could sell tailoring Spellthreads at maybe a 100G+ markup, but the downside was that you really can't put up more than 1-2 per day because you can get undercut quickly and really only a handful of people were buying them each day. Even on a medium-sized server I guess it's not that often that a caster gets a new set of pants worthy of a 220g enchant :D

I guess some crafting professions got lucky for a while when the prices on mid-level mats plummeted and they could craft blues that would Disenchant into stuff that was more valuable than what you paid for the mats.......but with the Abyssal Shatter Apocalypse in swing I suspect the honeymoon on that is over.

It's been a while since I really looked into money-making, though my impression has always been that things rarely sold for much more than cost of materials, and even if they did the margins were so thin that you had to do some math and consider how much volume you could actually move.
If by "spending time at their craft," you mean, "making 150g a day by spending 5 minutes to use my Wormhole Generator to teleport to wherever the daily JC says to go, and then selling the Dragon's Eye after hearthing back,"
then, yeah, I spend a lot of time :lol

This is nothing like my previous money-spinners; a) disenchanting reinforced cobalt when it was 4 cobalt to make, and b) instead of leveling my character at Wrath's launch, leveling mining by suicide running into Icecrown at level 70, then selling level-up BS shit for incredible amounts of cash (think 650g for a Eternal Belt Buckle)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I did BT for the first time tonight, we got up to Mother what's-her-name and wiped twice. The leaders must have been like 13 years old, it was horrible. This one guy just talked shit to everyone (in all caps+horrible grammar) which caused a bunch to leave, including me because I couldn't deal with it. His explanation for the fight was horrible "IF U GET DEBUFFS RUN!", that's it. I don't understand how idiotic some people can act.

Tamanon

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
If by "spending time at their craft," you mean, "making 150g a day by spending 5 minutes to use my Wormhole Generator to teleport to wherever the daily JC says to go, and then selling the Dragon's Eye after hearthing back,"

This is nothing like my previous money-spinners; a) disenchanting reinforced cobalt when it was 4 cobalt to make, and b) instead of leveling my character at Wrath's launch, leveling mining by suicide running into Icecrown at level 70, then selling level-up BS shit for incredible amounts of cash (think 650g for a Eternal Belt Buckle)

Hell, for a while there, I used to just buy saronite bars off the AH, make Daunting Legplates and vendor them. Was an easy 5 or 6 gold a pop profit for literally no work. Plus, it got me about 15 points, heh.

Then of course they finally nerfed the vendor price.

border

Angry Grimace said:
My implication was not that you were poopsocking your way to riches. It was exactly what you said -- Jewelcrafters spend very little time for a pretty big return on their investment. It's either a matter of buying raw materials and selling crafted gems for a markup, or getting raw materials for free from some ridiculously easy quest, and then crafting gems for a huge markup. 15 minutes of a jewelcrafter's time is far more valuable than 15 minutes of a blacksmith's time. So why even bother with blacksmithing if the perks are exactly equal to what you'd get as a jewelcrafter, and there are no BoP crafted items?

That said, it's kinda hard to care about money in the game anyway. At some point it ceases to really buy you top-end gear unless you are willing to throw-down megabucks on stuff like Runed/Crusader Orbs while they were scarce. Money's so worthless Blizzard has to throw in ridiculous crap like Haris Pilton bags and 10,000G mounts just to take some of it out of the economy.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I make a lot of money with BS. Buy a lot of cobalt or saronite depending on whats cheaper, make some greens and DE them or put them on the ah for DE. It's incredibly simple.

There is a very big difference between most professions. Trust me, I have them all.

I do agree with you on money being useless though, I have a whoooole lot of it and nothing but stupid shit like mounts to spend it on.

border

I'm seeing cobalt and saronite floating around 2g/bar -- mayb 1g70s on a weekend. Given that it takes like 8-12 bars to make most stuff, I'm not sure if the return on that investment is going to be so hot if you're just crafting and DE'ing stuff. Plus you either need to be an enchanter or have one at your beck and call :D

There is a very big difference between most professions. Trust me, I have them all.
Except you just told me that every profession can make roughly the same amount of money. And if the passive stat bonuses on every profession are the same, then it would sound like there isn't really much difference beyond the ones that are gathering and the ones that are crafting.....and even that is more of a difference in gameplay than a difference in stats or abilities granted.

Raiden

Banned
I have a noob Q' even though i have been playing for a good while. When people ask whats your DPS, and some answer 2k, 3k 4k etc... How the hell do you see that?

I downloaded recount but cant find it. Im playing a just turned 80 DK now and i want to do HC's.

Angry Grimace

Raiden said:
I have a noob Q' even though i have been playing for a good while. When people ask whats your DPS, and some answer 2k, 3k 4k etc... How the hell do you see that?

I downloaded recount but cant find it. Im playing a just turned 80 DK now and i want to do HC's.
Just get the Curse Client and have it install all the addons for you. Easier to manage that way than unpacking them yourself.

Weenerz

Banned
Raiden said:

Extract the recount folder to World of Warcraft > Interface > Addons

Once you sign-on, before logging into a character, make sure its enabled on your little add-on button on the bottom left side of the screen. If it is, log into your character and it will have a box in the middle of your screen. Drag it wherever comfortable, and go kill stuff :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom