• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiden

Banned
Weenerz said:
Extract the recount folder to World of Warcraft > Interface > Addons

Once you sign-on, before logging into a character, make sure its enabled on your little add-on button on the bottom left side of the screen. If it is, log into your character and it will have a box in the middle of your screen. Drag it wherever comfortable, and go kill stuff :D

Damn, thanks for the help, but my bad english sucks the install works and i have it. I meant how do i see my own DPS, i see the numbers 1600 if im doign an HC around that. Is that 1.6 DPS then? Or should i look at something else

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Kyoufu said:
I dunno, it just reeks of keylogging spyware crap, but maybe I'm just being paranoid :p

They scan all the addons they put on the site throughly, and the program itself is just a pretty WinRAR.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kyoufu said:
I don't trust that shit personally. :(
*shrug* I've had it forever and it's about 10,000 times easier than manually managing 10+ addons. I especially appreciate it around Patch time.

Weenerz

Banned
Raiden said:
Damn, thanks for the help, but my bad english sucks the install works and i have it. I meant how do i see my own DPS, i see the numbers 1600 if im doign an HC around that. Is that 1.6 DPS then? Or should i look at something else

1600 dps is actually 1600 dps, or 1.6k. If you were doing 1.6 dps, then I would expect you to be a level 1 character. :D

Xabora said:
Yeah I know, I have about a 3 month wait before I can get into Goonsquad (Mal'Ganis) and the other guilds on my server tend to be ... bad?

Legends (French Canadian Guild of Awesome, REQ: Speak French... I don't speak French)
Members Only (Dickwads :V)
No Mercys (Caught the guild leaders stealing from the guild, burnt all bridges)
My Guild (No Hard Modes in ToC until Icecrown)

And the other misc guilds on the server are pretty much 10man only.

Could you go into more elaboration on this? Mal'ganis was one of the servers we are scouting atm. Im trying to rectify that last sentence with the huge amount of Horde guilds on wowprogress doing ToGC25.

Flib

I still haven't logged into the game since I quit, but I did install the ptr and ran Forge of Souls this weekend. Pretty fun instance, and even wiped once against the last boss (we had no idea what its abilities were, and Mirrored Soul will wipe you quickly if you don't know what you're doing).

Wrekt

SatelliteOfLove said:
Could you go into more elaboration on this? Mal'ganis was one of the servers we are scouting atm. Im trying to rectify that last sentence with the huge amount of Horde guilds on wowprogress doing ToGC25.
I rolled my first character on Mal'Ganis on day 1 of WoW and had to transfer off a few months ago. There were login queues every day of the week and sitting around for a hour per night just waiting to log in wasn't worth it. It may have gotten better by now though.

Mal'Ganis and other servers are night and day though. The quality of players on MG is just so ridiculously high. It was quite a shock moving to another server and finding out just how bad they were. I'd take a Mal'Ganis pug over the top guild on my current server.

Wrekt said:
I rolled my first character on Mal'Ganis on day 1 of WoW and had to transfer off a few months ago. There were login queues every day of the week and sitting around for a hour per night just waiting to log in wasn't worth it. It may have gotten better by now though.

Mal'Ganis and other servers are night and day though. The quality of players on MG is just so ridiculously high. It was quite a shock moving to another server and finding out just how bad they were. I'd take a Mal'Ganis pug over the top guild on my current server.

This is why I will never leave Mal'Ganis.

yacobod

Banned
Illidan (H) is very good as well, its ranked 2nd overall right behind Mal'Ganis, our ques have sort of died down as of late as well

very good server, best server i've played on

Swag

Wrekt said:

I have yet to experience a queue on mal'Ganis, although I've only been playing there for about a week.

Wrekt

Sebulon3k said:
I have yet to experience a queue on mal'Ganis, although I've only been playing there for about a week.
What time do you log in? After 6 pm server time and the server was pretty much useless to me.

nataku

Are those servers more hardcore/raiding servers?

I'm starting to think of doing a paid transfer off Gurubashi, simply because the sever seems kind of dead. I'm casual in every sense of the word though, and it's hard to find servers that will fit me and my play style. WoW really has too many servers... it's difficult to find info on what might be good when there are 250+ servers available.

I'm surprised there isn't a type of WoW realm review site somewhere on the net by now.

Maybe I should just check out the guild recruitment forum at the official forum and see where casual/social guilds are located first...

Xabora

SatelliteOfLove said:
Guilds I listed and other guilds is in relation to the server I'm currently on.

nataku said:

I'm starting to think of doing a paid transfer off Gurubashi, simply because the sever seems kind of dead. I'm casual in every sense of the word though, and it's hard to find servers that will fit me and my play style. WoW really has too many servers... it's difficult to find info on what might be good when there are 250+ servers available.

I'm surprised there isn't a type of WoW realm review site somewhere on the net by now.

Maybe I should just check out the guild recruitment forum at the official forum and see where casual/social guilds are located first...

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/

Magnus

We're ready to throw the towel in and do nothing till Icecrown, and I'm so pleased about that. We handily annihilated all 3.2 content except for Anub 10 Heroic and the entirety of ToC 25m Heroic (ToGC, I suppose), both of which spanked us endlessly.

We recently stopped being retarded and took a stacked melee group to Anub 10 H and blew him up, finally.

Beasts 25m H though? Forget it. I'll have FIVE healers spamming the MT, and two 35-45k blows will hit within 1.0 seconds, and it'll be over. Either they're fucking up their transitions, or we just suck. We've been throwing all the tier 9 we get at them too, but they're so fucking squishy.

ToGC just isn't fun. Boring fights we already do in three other versions of the raid each week; loot that's only 13 iLevels up from our easily attained ToC 25m stuff; and Icecrown/3.3 ready to replace everything sometime before the end of the year (probably). So much for inventive heroic mode too -- it's neat to see a new mechanic in Jaraxxus 25 (having to destroy the portals/volcanoes), but otherwise, Heroic = bigger, harder hitting numbers. That's it. Fuck that. Ulduar had some really brilliant hard modes, and having to work hard to even trigger some of those modes made the fights much more interesting and dynamic. Fuck this style of inflated difficulty.

Why endure this bullshit?

This is coming from someone who's raided every tier and every instance (save most of Level 60 Naxx) since MC.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
jim-jam bongs said:
Complete with irritating upgrade incentive spam!

Yeah, and their 'download throttling' upgrade when you pay is just them turning off when the extractor takes 5 extra seconds halfway through installing it.

nataku said:

I think Mal'Ganis is like that because its like the Official SomethingAwful/Goons whatever server.

I also am thinking about transferring off, but I'm kinda ready to move onto harder raiding while my guild and the server as a whole is kind of lacking. Only one guild has apparently gotten past any boss in ToGC in 25 man. That's pretty bad.

I guess though I would be fine with just doing the 10M HMs as were are now. At least I get to see everything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LAUGHTREY said:
Yeah, and their 'download throttling' upgrade when you pay is just them turning off when the extractor takes 5 extra seconds halfway through installing it.

I think Mal'Ganis is like that because its like the Official SomethingAwful/Goons whatever server.

I also am thinking about transferring off, but I'm kinda ready to move onto harder raiding while my guild and the server as a whole is kind of lacking. Only one guild has apparently gotten past any boss in ToGC in 25 man. That's pretty bad.

I guess though I would be fine with just doing the 10M HMs as were are now. At least I get to see everything.
I think several "hardcore" guilds decided on Mal'Ganis back at WoW's launch though and it just got a reputation as a hardcore server.

As for why TotGC sucks compared to Ulduar's hard modes? Probably because the entire 3.2 patch was just designed as a stop gap to prevent mass exodus while Blizzard takes it's sweet, sweet time getting Icecrown up and ready.

Magnus said:
We're ready to throw the towel in and do nothing till Icecrown, and I'm so pleased about that. We handily annihilated all 3.2 content except for Anub 10 Heroic and the entirety of ToC 25m Heroic (ToGC, I suppose), both of which spanked us endlessly.

We recently stopped being retarded and took a stacked melee group to Anub 10 H and blew him up, finally.

Beasts 25m H though? Forget it. I'll have FIVE healers spamming the MT, and two 35-45k blows will hit within 1.0 seconds, and it'll be over. Either they're fucking up their transitions, or we just suck. We've been throwing all the tier 9 we get at them too, but they're so fucking squishy.

ToGC just isn't fun. Boring fights we already do in three other versions of the raid each week; loot that's only 13 iLevels up from our easily attained ToC 25m stuff; and Icecrown/3.3 ready to replace everything sometime before the end of the year (probably). So much for inventive heroic mode too -- it's neat to see a new mechanic in Jaraxxus 25 (having to destroy the portals/volcanoes), but otherwise, Heroic = bigger, harder hitting numbers. That's it. Fuck that. Ulduar had some really brilliant hard modes, and having to work hard to even trigger some of those modes made the fights much more interesting and dynamic. Fuck this style of inflated difficulty.

Why endure this bullshit?

This is coming from someone who's raided every tier and every instance (save most of Level 60 Naxx) since MC.

Blame the players. All I can say is that ToC nights everyone gets all excited because it's boss > badge > bio then repeat for about an hour. Bores the crap out of me.

Beasts are decent, but only the first two - third guy is just dumb. Jar is the only moderately interesting fight and even that's just controlled chaos. FC is way too random; I actually wish they'd get decent AI programmers to make them at least approximate the way that real players fight. I heal PvP disc so I would actually really prefer that to what it is now.

Twins? As a healer it's pretty dull - which you'd know I guess, you play a priest right? Basically it's my raid-damage spike healing tools used for a whole fight, with the occasional "run to the glowing thing" moment. And the less said about Anub the better, to be honest. Although my experience of it would probably be better if I could get to the end of one fight without someone kiting the boss into me and killing me.

Ulduar was so much more fun, as a healer at least.

Xabora

LAUGHTREY said:
They have the executable compressed so I can't change that timer. :lol
EDIT: Hello Decompressed EXE

I'm thinking of getting back into WoW...only been gone a month hahah.

So, out of curiosity, what is the one spec that most raids/guilds/groups want out of a Shammy?

sub_zer0 said:
enhancement.

Still think it is the least popular Shaman spec. But a raid will always carry one for the melee buffs it provides.

Really? I thought everyone played Enhancement.

Thats awesome though, I've always wanted to try out that spec. And something about a Tauren duel wielding fist weapons just sounds kickass.

StormyTheRabbit said:
Really? I thought everyone played Enhancement.

Thats awesome though, I've always wanted to try out that spec. And something about a Tauren duel wielding fist weapons just sounds kickass.

Enhancement is awesome. I would suggest using either Shockandawe or Fullmoon addons. Too bad you're not an orc though for free expertise.

Chris R

Full Moon (Custom hacked to allow adjustable alphas in and out of combat :D ) + Enhance = soooooo much fun.

Haven't done a single thing on my mage really since my shaman hit 80

rhfb said:
Full Moon (Custom hacked to allow adjustable alphas in and out of combat :D ) + Enhance = soooooo much fun.

Haven't done a single thing on my mage really since my shaman hit 80

Might have to PM you for your custom version when I finally get WoW reinstalled and the account back up and running.

Cipherr

Kyoufu said:
I dunno, it just reeks of keylogging spyware crap, but maybe I'm just being paranoid :p

It isnt just you. I manually handle all of my mods also. Quartz, Need to Know, DBM, SunnArt, Dominos, Omni CC, PowerAura, SCT, Shard and Recount. I would rather handle the installs myself than use any third party automated system. And I have a authenticator and still wont do it.

border

I'm probably just gonna start blasting through Outland on my DK alt. What is the best quest mod -- QuestHelper or Carbonite?

border said:
I'm probably just gonna start blasting through Outland on my DK alt. What is the best quest mod -- QuestHelper or Carbonite?

I always liked Carbonite more. The map worked better and the waypoints didnt get all weird half the time like they did in QH.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
border said:

Carbonite shows the spawns on the maps with more accuracy, as far as I know QH uses a sort of glow effect on the map and its hard to tell where it ends. Don't know if you can change that though.

Xabora said:
Yeah I know, its an option I have lying on the table in-case if things fall apart. :p

But right now I'm trying to get the guild pushed back in its prior direction instead of where its going now.
Sadly, the current direction means the guild will begin to fall apart in about 2 weeks.
Fallowed by the 3 weeks of denial while it happens. :|

I stopped it and got the guild back on direction before, which lasted about 3 weeks.

i got "fagged" (demotion term for their guild) by Menestheus within 5 minutes of getting into goon squad by accepting all my collectors edition pets at once, got spammed with virgin etc whispers (little do they know im totally handsome!). seriously tho that dude is a prick, his parents probably dont even like him.

StormyTheRabbit said:
I'm thinking of getting back into WoW...only been gone a month hahah.

So, out of curiosity, what is the one spec that most raids/guilds/groups want out of a Shammy?

Bit late, but my (admittedly only partially informed) view is that enhance isn't great for the things you specified. My guild has two enhancement shaman out of about 10. Resto shammies are always in massively high demand, and a good elemental shaman is high-damage ranged dps with a ranged interrupt and offensive dispel, so is also extremely useful. I may be biased though, because a close friend is the shaman I talk to the most about such matters and he's ele.

Just pick one for 1 - 40 anyway, then get dual-spec for 1000g when you can afford it. If you don't want to heal ever you can have both ele and enhance, but don't forget that every raid/guild/group needs tanks and heals, so if you can bring one to the table you're already ahead.

jim-jam bongs said:
Bit late, but my (admittedly only partially informed) view is that enhance isn't great for the things you specified. My guild has two enhancement shaman out of about 10. Resto shammies are always in massively high demand, and a good elemental shaman is high-damage ranged dps with a ranged interrupt and offensive dispel, so is also extremely useful. I may be biased though, because a close friend is the shaman I talk to the most about such matters and he's ele.

Just pick one for 1 - 40 anyway, then get dual-spec for 1000g when you can afford it. If you don't want to heal ever you can have both ele and enhance, but don't forget that every raid/guild/group needs tanks and heals, so if you can bring one to the table you're already ahead.

Enhancement has the same dispel and interrupt, and scales much better with gear and raid buffs. An equivalently geared enhancement shaman should outdps an elemental.

funkmastergeneral said:
Enhancement has the same dispel and interrupt, and scales much better with gear and raid buffs. An equivalently geared enhancement shaman should outdps an elemental.

Hmm I thought I might be off on that one, like I said I'm not going off much beyond observations and what my ele buddy tells me. Although to be honest all of his characters except the shaman are melee so he might have just wanted a change.

Scaling definitely seems like a big issue for resto because of the uselessness of spirit, what other scaling issues exist for an ele shaman?

Tamanon

Banned
Well there's just a much larger variety of melee buffs in a raid, plus the fact that there's no sort of equivalent to armor penetration for spells.

Although both are wanted just fine, people love shammies of any type because dps is addicted to Heroism/Bloodlust.

Sciz

jim-jam bongs said:
Scaling definitely seems like a big issue for resto because of the uselessness of spirit, what other scaling issues exist for an ele shaman?
Elemental's major scaling issue is that it doesn't. Base stats are almost entirely irrelevant with regards to damage. There's a small Int->mp5 conversion, but otherwise all you can do is stack as much spellpower and haste as you can get your hands on and hope someone applies the +13% spell damage debuff. And wait for the inevitable post-patch buff when the forums once again convince Ghostcrawler that elemental is falling behind because it gets less out of gear than every other spec in the game.

It's no wonder they're overhauling itemization for Cataclysm.
Tamanon said:
plus the fact that there's no sort of equivalent to armor penetration for spells.
Well, there is, it's just useless against bosses.

Back onto the topic of Shaman specs.

It really varies from server to server. My server seems to be short on enhancement shamans compared to ele/resto.

Best thing to do, would be to look into wow-heroes.com and check the gear gap and competition between each of the Shaman specs for your server.

Also;
Anub is a total cockblock of a fight. We've been farming Naxx so our tanks could recover some of their old block gear.

Swag

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my gfx settings, I'm using this macro to improve them

/console overridefarclip 1
/console farclip 1600
/console horizonfarclip 6226
/console groundeffectdensity 256
/console groundeffectdist 140
/console smallcull 0
/console skycloudlod 3
/console characterAmbient
/console extshadowquality 4
/console environmentDetail 2

But it looks horrible http://i36.tinypic.com/2di4jn9.jpg

I've been having some monitor troubles but I can't imagine it would go so far as to affect the settings in WoW

explodet

Gearing an enhancement shaman was no picnic for me - lots of the conq badge loot for mail has armor penetration on it, and my understanding is that armor pen is a really bad stat for shamans because a lot of our dps is spell-based and it would be better used as crit or haste. Not to mention hunters getting ticked off because you're rolling against them for drops.

Thanks to brewfest I'm two-fisting the Tankard of Terror which is an excellent weapon for melee shamans, my dps shot up after grabbing two of those. And I've been healing raids for badges which I can use for my dps spec.

Tamanon

Banned
explodet said:
Gearing an enhancement shaman was no picnic for me - lots of the conq badge loot for mail has armor penetration on it, and my understanding is that armor pen is a really bad stat for shamans because a lot of our dps is spell-based and it would be better used as crit or haste. Not to mention hunters getting ticked off because you're rolling against them for drops.

Thanks to brewfest I'm two-fisting the Tankard of Terror which is an excellent weapon for melee shamans, my dps shot up after grabbing two of those. And I've been healing raids for badges which I can use for my dps spec.

Could be worse, try gearing up an elemental shaman to the hit cap.:lol

explodet

Tamanon said:
Ewww, yeah. I flirted with an elemental spec and found out I needed a ton of gems and two +hit trinkets to even come close.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
There's only one piece of Mail with Spell Power and hit in the entire game that's not a tier or PvP piece. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom