• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember if you ever actually needed an ammo pouch but, you definitely don't need one now. I play a hunter and I keep my ammo in a regular bag with all my other consumables. As far as I know all they ever did was increase your ranged attack speed by a percentage and they got rid of that a few patches ago.

As far as thrown vs ranged weapons, you're not going to find many thrown weapons until BC content. Just use whatever you find if you care about the extra stats.

You can level thrown weapon skill on Dr Boom (I think that's his name) in Netherstorm by Area 52 whenever you find one. It's much easier than trying to level it by just pulling mobs with it.

Is this spectral bear the new spirit beast? http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2009/october/spectralbear.jpg I need its name to put in my macro. :D

Tamanon

Banned
Hmm....I'll have to test it myself, but this blurb in the PTR notes really makes it look like Disenchant will have the same preference as greed and will automatically disenchant the item......

Group Disenchanting Option: In addition to rolling “Need” or “Greed” on items, players now have the option to elect for an item to be disenchanted. “Disenchant” works exactly like “Greed” except if a player wins the “Greed” roll, they will receive the disenchanted materials instead. Players who choose “Need” will always win the item and will always beat those that choose “Greed” or “Disenchant.”

Also makes me believe that you won't even need an enchanter there.

Oni Link 666 said:
I don't remember if you ever actually needed an ammo pouch but, you definitely don't need one now. I play a hunter and I keep my ammo in a regular bag with all my other consumables. As far as I know all they ever did was increase your ranged attack speed by a percentage and they got rid of that a few patches ago.

As far as thrown vs ranged weapons, you're not going to find many thrown weapons until BC content. Just use whatever you find if you care about the extra stats.

You can level thrown weapon skill on Dr Boom (I think that's his name) in Netherstorm by Area 52 whenever you find one. It's much easier than trying to level it by just pulling mobs with it.
Ah, they may have in 3.1 or .2. I didn't pay too much attention to how ammo worked.

Belfast

Xabora said:
And we're off part 2!
newloginscreen.jpg

raidbrowser.jpg

Not sure if it's a bug, but I've also noticed that logging in on the PTR gives me a black background instead of Sinragosa flying around.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Tamanon said:
Hmm....I'll have to test it myself, but this blurb in the PTR notes really makes it look like Disenchant will have the same preference as greed and will automatically disenchant the item......Also makes me believe that you won't even need an enchanter there.
Yes, and no.

There is a button to do DE and it automatically DE's the item for you if you win the roll. As far as I have seen though you HAVE to be a DE'er to use it. I'll test it on an alt with no DE but 2 people in my group said they were not DE and did not even have the option.

Orbitcube said:
Also, you won't be able to find any thrown weapons (axes, knives, etc.) that drop from monsters until level 55. The rest will have to be made from blacksmithing, which means you can buy them off the auction house but I'd advise against that, or bought from a General Goods vendor. Alternatively you could use guns or bows if you train them in I believe Ironforge and Darnassus (respectively). The problem with that is that you'll need to buy an ammo pouch to shoot bullets but at a low level - hell, even at level 80 - you'll want as much bag space as possible and ammo takes up a large amount of room.

You don't need an ammo pouch to use a ranged weapon, the only reason they were used was for the haste increase and they tended to be larger then average bags. When I leveled my warrior back in vanilla I just kept 1 or 2 stacks of ammo on my at all time for pulling and no ammo bag necessary.

Hey guys, just got back into WoW with a new account. leveling a Warlock.

I'm trying to recruit someone for RAF to make leveling 30x easier. So hit me up if you want me to recruit you and we can work out leveling together :)

Kyoufu

There is alot of competition for the 2h Axe Legendary in my guild, but I'm hoping to get a shot at it.

The proc:

Shadowmourne

* Item - Shadowmourne Legendary - Your weapon swings have a chance to drain a Soul Fragment from their victims. When you have acquired 10 Soul Fragments you wil unleash the Souls of the Damned, dealing 6840 to 7560 shadow damage split between all enemies within 8 yards.
* Soul Fragment - Gained a Soul Fragment. When 10 Soul Fragments are accumulated, they will release, triggering the Souls of the Damned.
* Souls of the Damned - Deals 6840 to 7560 Shadow damage, split between all enemies within 8 yards of the impact crater.

Xabora

Kyoufu said:
There is alot of competition for the 2h Axe Legendary in my guild, but I'm hoping to get a shot at it.

The proc:

Shadowmourne

* Item - Shadowmourne Legendary - Your weapon swings have a chance to drain a Soul Fragment from their victims. When you have acquired 10 Soul Fragments you wil unleash the Souls of the Damned, dealing 6840 to 7560 shadow damage split between all enemies within 8 yards.
* Soul Fragment - Gained a Soul Fragment. When 10 Soul Fragments are accumulated, they will release, triggering the Souls of the Damned.
* Souls of the Damned - Deals 6840 to 7560 Shadow damage, split between all enemies within 8 yards of the impact crater.
Unholy spec DKs will go nuts over this.
Which reminds me, I need to mess with Unholy some more.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Xabora said:

Unholy DKs have enough AOE, they don't need anymore.

Either way though I hope that isn't final, it's pretty lame.

And Unholy is pretty much bottom of the barrel. Have all your pets do your damage and just hit pestilence. Frost at least takes some form of sentience to work.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Xabora said:
10 second rotations for the win.

Just remember; in the live version of the game Scourge Strike does not do enough damage to justify either Epidemic or the Scourge Strike Glyph. It's pretty fun since you get to do so many attacks.

mcrae

ok, i have level 255 mining, im a level 64 warlock, where should i go to get this shit up to 300?

ive tried ungoro crater, azshara, searing gorge, EPL and WPL. currently im in winterspring. any advice? is there any items that give + to mining?

Tamanon

Banned
You can get the Gatherer enchant for your gloves to get +5. Other than that, it's just thorium thorium thorium. Although Searting Gorge has been great for me just leveling it up because of the Dark Iron veins that nobody ever uses, but are good for skillups.

You could also try Blasted Lands/Felwood/Burning Steppes.

It's a pain, but at least you're in Thorium territory, I remember it being hell just to get to that part.

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
10 second rotations for the win.

Just remember; in the live version of the game Scourge Strike does not do enough damage to justify either Epidemic or the Scourge Strike Glyph. It's pretty fun since you get to do so many attacks.
10 second rotations are GONE in 3.3 :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Xabora said:
10 second rotations are GONE in 3.3 :p
Hence why it says, "Live Version of the game." Scourge Strike on the PTR does like 9K crits so it's back to Epidemic, Reaping and Spamming the shit out of Scourge Strike in Blood Presence.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
mcrae said:
ok, i have level 255 mining, im a level 64 warlock, where should i go to get this shit up to 300?

ive tried ungoro crater, azshara, searing gorge, EPL and WPL. currently im in winterspring. any advice? is there any items that give + to mining?

I always find Silithus to be pretty good for Thorium. You can find plenty of rich veins in the caverns, but that requires 275+. Ungoro isn't too bad either, i just run in circle around the edges of the zone, while checking both the insect & gorilla caverns where there is often 2 (or 3 if you're lucky) small thorium veins, don't forget to check every small cliffs you see in the distance, there might be thorium there too.

Epix

Kyoufu said:

The proc:

Shadowmourne

Where's this info from?

resubbed after 8months and first day I made a titansteel destroyer.

replaced it about 12 hours later after a heroic toc run lol.

Dual spec and a new super speedy dungeon, good stuff.

Tamanon

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
resubbed after 8months and first day I made a titansteel destroyer.

replaced it about 12 hours later after a heroic toc run lol.

Dual spec and a new super speedy dungeon, good stuff.

Yeah, my DK had that Destroyer forever until I finally started running Heroic ToC. Hallelujah, was so sick of it.

Tamanon

Banned
Alright, got a more proper raid in, but was pretty lcuky in what I got to do lol. Got in, one-shot Ony25 on the first try, much easier than I remember. Then we we went to ToC25 where they only had Anub left, two-shot him after learning the fight, went on to 25-man General in Ulduar after a few tries and finally spent the rest of the night wiping on Yogg as our melee learned the clouds.

The general is sooooo boring as a moonkin. Wait....wait.....wait.....move, UNLEASH, wait.....wait.....:lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Anyone know of a extractor to get the .mp3s from the MPQ files? I did it a few weeks ago, can't remember how now.

johnsmith

remember me
Tamanon said:
The general is sooooo boring as a moonkin. Wait....wait.....wait.....move, UNLEASH, wait.....wait.....:lol

Sounds like your raid didn't know what they were doing. Range should be grouped up so there's always a crash to dps in nearby.

Tamanon

Banned
johnsmith said:
Sounds like your raid didn't know what they were doing. Range should be grouped up so there's always a crash to dps in nearby.

Nah, we avoided that because of the disease, figured it wasn't worth it. Didn't have any problem getting him down after we handled the latency issues with the interrupts.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
johnsmith said:

And then one tick of drain life heals him for like 5 mil? good one.

Weenerz

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
And then one tick of drain life heals him for like 5 mil? good one.

Thats where the hunters MS debuff and the person with it runs out of the group comes in. Its hot its done by guilds killing his hard mode.

yacobod

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
And Unholy is pretty much bottom of the barrel. Have all your pets do your damage and just hit pestilence.

idk man, unholy dks rape dmg meters at the moment, its by far the best dps spec for dks from my experience, seems like most dks are unholy in the top guilds worldwide

after 3.3 idk tho, but right now its rape time

TomServo

aryies said:
1% wipe on heroic anub today. le sigh.

Ouch.

We can't even get people to log in if they think it's going to be a ToGC25 Anub wipefest. Frustrating. We've even started to move farm content to a random night / time in our usual raid schedule - we had like 35-40 people showing up to faceroll ToC25, would be short players or missing key buffs for ToGC25 runs.

So instead of real progression we get to go back into Ulduar. We've got all the hard modes except for one light now, people just do stupid shit, die, we get behind the enrage timer and wipe it.

WTB Arthas kill and subsequent casual status.

Macattk15 said:
Isn't that the same with ANY class?

Probably. Leveling a DK off and on I'll say that /castsequence macros work especially well for them. Have gone from 58 to 68 hitting a single key (OK, fine, two since death grip on on it's own keybind).

Could just be that way w/ melee though? Only other melee class I've leveled is a rogue into the mid-40's back in vanilla, thought that was boring as hell once the novelty of stealth wore off.

Macattk15

TomServo said:
Ouch.

We can't even get people to log in if they think it's going to be a ToGC25 Anub wipefest. Frustrating. We've even started to move farm content to a random night / time in our usual raid schedule - we had like 35-40 people showing up to faceroll ToC25, would be short players or missing key buffs for ToGC25 runs.

So instead of real progression we get to go back into Ulduar. We've got all the hard modes except for one light now, people just do stupid shit, die, we get behind the enrage timer and wipe it.

WTB Arthas kill and subsequent casual status.

I feel ya man. While my guild have killed everything to date ... I'm QUITE burned out in ToGC 25 and Ulduar stuff. I find it hard to log in to raids ... any of em, I'd often rather take the DKP hit. Luckily we were done raiding for the week on Thursday about 2 hours into raid, so it only took 10 hours over 3 nights instead of 20 hours over 5.

I hope Icecrown comes out soon enough.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
yacobod said:
idk man, unholy dks rape dmg meters at the moment, its by far the best dps spec for dks from my experience, seems like most dks are unholy in the top guilds worldwide

after 3.3 idk tho, but right now its rape time

Do you have anything else to compare it to? Our Frost DWers do much more on single target than unholy.

yacobod

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
Do you have anything else to compare it to? Our Frost DWers do much more on single target than unholy.

in raid we have 2-3 dks typically, we always have one blood, one unholy, and sometimes we bring in one frost

the unholy one usually rapes them on any boss in TOGC, their gear is all pretty similar, so i dont really think its a gear issue

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm back to pugging. Sure it's cool and e-peenflexage to do the Heroics and what not, but whatever I can raid what I want when I want. Hell I would be more than happy to find a solid-10 man group and did only that.

Angry Grimace

Atrophis said:
When do DKs get fun :/

Made one on the weekend and got him to outland but seems you spam 3 skills at most :lol
You have at least five, usually more.

Blizzard does a terrible job explaining how the game works to newbies; this is why you have players at the end of the game that don't know how to do anything; because you're expected to go to an external source to figure out how to actually play.

With regards to Death Knights, it's not obvious how to play because they didn't bother to give you a Frost/Unholy rune strike, and they won't until 63 (Obliterate). I had a discussion about this with one of our top DKs and they were saying when they started, they figured you just put up your diseases and spammed Blood Strike :lol

It really depends on your spec. You almost invariably put your diseases with Plague Strike/Icy Touch, use a Frost/Unholy strike and then two Blood Strikes. Dump off your Runic Power with Death Coil.

I personally find that while Blood's self-healing is nice for leveling, you'll rarely get damaged all that much and it's much easier to level as unholy for the run speed and mounted speed increases.

TomServo

Angry Grimace said:
With regards to Death Knights, it's not obvious how to play because they didn't bother to give you a Frost/Unholy rune strike, and they won't until 63 (Obliterate). I had a discussion about this with one of our top DKs and they were saying when they started, they figured you just put up your diseases and spammed Blood Strike :lol

I really didn't think it was difficult. You've got three types of runes, two each, on cooldown. It's just a matter of looking at the abilities and figuring out a rotation based on what runes they consume.

Death strike is a starter skill, consumes frost+unholy. Unless you spec into frost the only other option for using the second frost rune is icy touch. Blood strike x 2 consumes both blood runes, plague strike consumes the last unholy rune. Change the order a bit, maybe change the attacks based on what you specced into (i.e. replace blood strike w/ heart strike when it becomes available), rinse and repeat.

If one can't figure that out, that would explain why there are so many fail DKs around. Honestly the only thing that puzzled me for a second was runic power, since there's little to nothing you do with up while leveling aside from death coil (and specced as blood with the death strike glyph I rarely do that while leveling).

Xabora

Epix said:
Dude, do you think you can modify EBB (Elkano's Buff Bars) to only show the debuffs I put on the target?
Just going to requote this with a question.

In 3.3 there will be an option to show only your debuffs on a target.
New option - Castable Debuffs: Enabling this will cause only debuffs you have cast on an enemy target to appear.
Still interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom