• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrekt

Angry Grimace said:
You have at least five, usually more.

Blizzard does a terrible job explaining how the game works to newbies; this is why you have players at the end of the game that don't know how to do anything; because you're expected to go to an external source to figure out how to actually play.

With regards to Death Knights, it's not obvious how to play because they didn't bother to give you a Frost/Unholy rune strike, and they won't until 63 (Obliterate). I had a discussion about this with one of our top DKs and they were saying when they started, they figured you just put up your diseases and spammed Blood Strike :lol

It really depends on your spec. You almost invariably put your diseases with Plague Strike/Icy Touch, use a Frost/Unholy strike and then two Blood Strikes. Dump off your Runic Power with Death Coil.

I personally find that while Blood's self-healing is nice for leveling, you'll rarely get damaged all that much and it's much easier to level as unholy for the run speed and mounted speed increases.

I started leveling a DK just to use as a gathering bot and he is now about 66. I personally do not find the class fun at all and the only reason I'm leveling him is I get to skip 1-55. I've specced him Unholy for the bonus run speed and perma pets are nice for when I want to mine without getting interrupted.

I put up Ice Touch/Plague Strike and then Scourge Strike. If they are still alive and above 15%, I'll throw out a death coil. That rotation was developed after spending 30 seconds looking at my spell book and flying to Outland. I'm not even sure I've visited a trainer since 58. What is the best rotation for my level and spec?

Won

Ah crap, totally forgot about the Halloween event. I hope I can get the achievements in the remaining time. Looks like there are couple of luck based ones.... :(

Macattk15

TomServo said:
I really didn't think it was difficult. You've got three types of runes, two each, on cooldown. It's just a matter of looking at the abilities and figuring out a rotation based on what runes they consume.

Death strike is a starter skill, consumes frost+unholy. Unless you spec into frost the only other option for using the second frost rune is icy touch. Blood strike x 2 consumes both blood runes, plague strike consumes the last unholy rune. Change the order a bit, maybe change the attacks based on what you specced into (i.e. replace blood strike w/ heart strike when it becomes available), rinse and repeat.

If one can't figure that out, that would explain why there are so many fail DKs around. Honestly the only thing that puzzled me for a second was runic power, since there's little to nothing you do with up while leveling aside from death coil (and specced as blood with the death strike glyph I rarely do that while leveling).

When I was leveling my DK .... I did ... Icy Touch / Plague Strike / Heart Strike x2 / Death Strike / Death Coil .... most things died before I go to death coil. You put the 2 diseases up first because your other attacks do more damage with diseases on the target .... pretty sure Death Strike does as well which is why I would never open a fight with it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So yeah I wanted to see if replacing a couple gems with agility gems would increase or decrease my DPS so I decided to try one of the spreadsheets I'm always hearing about. Boy do you have to be a bleeding edge player to use those, despite having a 513 IMBA, most of my gear wasn't listed in the spreadsheet. :(

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, our highest DPS period is an Unholy Death Knight, but he always talks about the ToGC fights being built to make Death Knights overpowered.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wrekt said:
I started leveling a DK just to use as a gathering bot and he is now about 66. I personally do not find the class fun at all and the only reason I'm leveling him is I get to skip 1-55. I've specced him Unholy for the bonus run speed and perma pets are nice for when I want to mine without getting interrupted.

I put up Ice Touch/Plague Strike and then Scourge Strike. If they are still alive and above 15%, I'll throw out a death coil. That rotation was developed after spending 30 seconds looking at my spell book and flying to Outland. I'm not even sure I've visited a trainer since 58. What is the best rotation for my level and spec?
Spec into Improved Unholy Presence and stay in Unholy Presence; your rotation will be:

IT PS BS BS SS DC

Your rotation should only be one Runeset long; this works great for leveling as well as dungeons because very very few mobs live to your second set of runes.

For leveling, the only blood talent that's really super necessary is Subversion.

Edit: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jcZZf0hIxfbx0zxbhIq <----Leveling build to level 66 that I recommend.

Macattk15 said:
When I was leveling my DK .... I did ... Icy Touch / Plague Strike / Heart Strike x2 / Death Strike / Death Coil .... most things died before I go to death coil. You put the 2 diseases up first because your other attacks do more damage with diseases on the target .... pretty sure Death Strike does as well which is why I would never open a fight with it.
Death Strike's damage is not increased by diseases on target; diseases on target increase the amount it heals you for. In raids without MM Hunters for Trueshot Aura, many Blood DK's open with Death Strike to proc the 10% Attack Power raid buff off the bat.

However, Death Strike does more damage if used later in the rotation because Glyph of Death Strike increases DS's damage based on the amount of Runic Power you have when you use it. (it doesn't consume it, it just requires you have it)

Epix

Xabora said:
Just going to requote this with a question.

In 3.3 there will be an option to show only your debuffs on a target.

Still interested?
Do you think this option in the main game settings will automatically filter what EBB shows?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tamanon said:
Yeah, our highest DPS period is an Unholy Death Knight, but he always talks about the ToGC fights being built to make Death Knights overpowered.
I still get beaten by ranged classes on certain fights, but I can rip out Rogue-competitive numbers on melee friendly fights; i.e. Goremok, Jaraxxus (if I'm not on interrupt duty), especially Twins.

I don't know what's up with that, but Death Knights have become a REALLY proc based class. My unbuffed Attack Power is around ~6800 in mostly 10m gear, but ends up around 8000+ after a few seconds due to a million different STR based procs (Unholy Strength, Unholy Force, Unholy Might, Mirror of Truth/Greatness).

I recently leveled a DK just so I wouldn't have to buy any more flasks. It's level 70 and I go herb gathering with it in Storm Peaks and Sholazar Basin. I'm speced into blood for the extra healing. It's pretty ridiculous what a DK can do. I can take out a mob that's 7 maybe 8 levels above me. It will be a long fight but, I'll kill it. They're ridiculously OP. Try doing that shit on a Rogue. I'm still wearing a lot of the DK starting zone gear too. I skipped a lot of the Outland questing and just killed stuff to level. I leveled from 66-68 killing shit in Howling F'jord.

Angry Grimace

Oni Link 666 said:
I recently leveled a DK just so I wouldn't have to buy any more flasks. It's level 70 and I go herb gathering with it in Storm Peaks and Sholazar Basin. I'm speced into blood for the extra healing. It's pretty ridiculous what a DK can do. I can take out a mob that's 7 maybe 8 levels above me. It will be a long fight but, I'll kill it. They're ridiculously OP. Try doing that shit on a Rogue. I'm still wearing a lot of the DK starting zone gear too. I skipped a lot of the Outland questing and just killed stuff to level. I leveled from 66-68 killing shit in Howling F'jord.
I have a lvl 74 rogue and it's night and day how OP DK is in leveling. I can bust out some pretty great burst on higher level mobs for about 10 seconds on my rogue and if the mob doesn't die, I'm probably going to have to stealth or die. :lol Plus I've been trying to maximize the healing I do have; Endless Healing Potion, Lifeblood, Trinket from Battle for Undercity quest, and it still can be difficult if my Adrenaline Rush/Blade Flurry/Killing Spree goes off and the mob still has 50% health.

With my DK, you have Death Pact, Death Strike, and Blood Presence in general. OP.

Tamanon

Banned
Just the fact that you never have to bandage or eat on a DK makes leveling miles quicker than a rogue. Just like leveling a feral druid is much quicker too.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Do you have to play with more than one people with quests? I'm having an awful hard time around Astranaar, I can't go back to train since I did all the quests there already. I sometimes play with a friend but mostly alone.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Teetris said:
Do you have to play with more than one people with quests? I'm having an awful hard time around Astranaar, I can't go back to train since I did all the quests there already. I sometimes play with a friend but mostly alone.

You should leave Ashenvale ASAP and go to the Eastern Kingdoms. Much more quests and more zones for your lvl. Duskwood, Wetlands & Redridge for your 20-30 questing is better than Ashenvale alone.

Won said:
Ah crap, totally forgot about the Halloween event. I hope I can get the achievements in the remaining time. Looks like there are couple of luck based ones.... :(
Good luck. The drop rate is very low. It's bullshit. I've done HH 5 times a day every day and still haven't gotten the helm or the pet and probably won't get them before it's over.

Teetris said:

What level are you at? Ashenvale is a pretty awful zone for alliance.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
funkmastergeneral said:
What level are you at? Ashenvale is a pretty awful zone for alliance.
lvl 21, this must be the case then.

Bisnic said:
You should leave Ashenvale ASAP and go to the Eastern Kingdoms. Much more quests and more zones for your lvl. Duskwood, Wetlands & Redridge for your 20-30 questing is better than Ashenvale alone.
Ah. How do I get to that place, you're talking about the other island right? So far I've only found 3 places I can fly to.

Acid08

Banned
Teetris said:

Ah. How do I get to that place, you're talking about the other island right? So far I've only found 3 places I can fly to.
Take the zepplin at Org or the boat at Booty Bay.

Tamanon

Banned
Teetris said:

Are you alliance?

There's a boat back in Darkshore that goes to Stormwind on the other kingdom. From there you can access Redridge and Duskwood easily.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Xabora said:
Just going to requote this with a question.

In 3.3 there will be an option to show only your debuffs on a target.

Still interested?

God I've been waiting for this. I have an addon, I think it's quartz, showing me only my vengeance stack and so on, but it is tiring to try to configure it for every character.

Angry Grimace

Teetris said:
The boat at Auberdine heads for the human capital of Stormwind; the Eastern Kingdoms has significantly more Alliance themed quests and general population.

edit: The 3.3 patch should make leveling a lot more fun since you should actually be able to find groups for lowbie dungeons; i.e. Stormwind Stockades.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Don't worry I got my ass kicked plenty of times. Frustrating as HELL when on a quest. So glad I asked instead of going through with the quests. Found the boat at Auberdine and now in human town. Awesome! :D Thanks guys.

traveler

Not Wario
Coming back to the game after an extended break. (Haven't raided since the Eye of Eternity) What's the current cookie-cutter spec and rotation for DPS DKs who don't want to dual-wield?

Angry Grimace

traveler said:
Coming back to the game after an extended break. (Haven't raided since the Eye of Eternity) What's the current cookie-cutter spec and rotation for DPS DKs who don't want to dual-wield?
Blood or Unholy (you have 2 choices in Unholy, but assuredly want an Improved Unholy Pres. spec)?

In fact, I would suggest Unholy anyways; gear didnt' start getting overloaded with Armor Pen. until Ulduar, which Blood needs a lot more.

Here's a cookie cutter spec.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight#_CJy4C1tueEEg,FQp,10482

Glyphs are (Major):

Icy Touch
Ghoul
Dark Death

These are mandatory(ish).

Conquest badges will easily net you "Sigil of the Vengeful Heart" which is a good starter Sigil.

Rotation (played in Unholy Presence):

IT PS SS BS BS DC HoW DC
IT PS SS BS BS DC DC

Don't head into battle with your HoW on CD or you will miss getting a second DC off.

traveler

Not Wario
Angry Grimace said:
Blood or Unholy?

Which is better for someone lacking the best raid gear around? I don't mind playing either.

Angry Grimace said:
Blood or Unholy (you have 2 choices in Unholy, but assuredly want an Improved Unholy Pres. spec)?

In fact, I would suggest Unholy anyways; gear didnt' start getting overloaded with Armor Pen. until Ulduar, which Blood needs a lot more.

Here's a cookie cutter spec.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight#_CJy4C1tueEEg,FQp,10482

Glyphs are (Major):

Icy Touch
Ghoul
Dark Death

These are mandatory(ish).

Conquest badges will easily net you "Sigil of the Vengeful Heart" which is a good starter Sigil.

Rotation (played in Unholy Presence):

IT PS SS BS BS DC HoW DC
IT PS SS BS BS DC DC

Don't head into battle with your HoW on CD or you will miss getting a second DC off.

Thanks a lot. I take it you pop Garg when all the cds/procs are aligned in a single target fight?

Angry Grimace

traveler said:
Which is better for someone lacking the best raid gear around? I don't mind playing either.
See above; I'd really recommend Unholy.

Angry Grimace

traveler said:

Thanks a lot. I take it you pop Garg when all the cds/procs are aligned in a single target fight?
Usually, the first rotation will have the Procs up. Once you get into 2pc T9 and the Sigil of Virulence (both bought with badges of Triumph which you get via dailies) you start getting tons and tons of procs up near the beginning of the fight.

Tamanon

Banned
Aight, any healers here have a good idea of what's a good instance to learn the ropes in? I've got an 80 Balance druid with a tree offspec, pretty good gear and wanting to learn to heal so I can find more places in raids. I don't want to jump right into them, so I'm thinking maybe some of the easier heroics like Utgarde Keep or Azjol-Nerub.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silvermoon&n=Galenos

I've got a few spirit pieces and the rejuv mana reducing idol to swap out when I go tree, but all the spirit on my moonkin gear means it's still the most effective pieces I have, even with the hit.

Evlar

Banned
Tamanon said:
Aight, any healers here have a good idea of what's a good instance to learn the ropes in? I've got an 80 Balance druid with a tree offspec, pretty good gear and wanting to learn to heal so I can find more places in raids. I don't want to jump right into them, so I'm thinking maybe some of the easier heroics like Utgarde Keep or Azjol-Nerub.

I've got a few spirit pieces and the rejuv mana reducing idol to swap out when I go tree, but all the spirit on my moonkin gear means it's still the most effective pieces I have, even with the hit.
NOT Azjol-Nerub. Aggro tables there are frequently random which will be a little stressful for a beginning healer, and the second boss encounter involves unusual line-of-sight problems (there are little hills and valleys in the webbing you stand on that you can't cast through, even though your targets appear perfectly visible). It may be a good second step, though. You want places with light damage output and mostly straightforward mechanics and that means UK and Nexus.

Tamanon said:

Easiest heroic to heal with a decent group IMO is Culling of Stratholme.

Angry Grimace

Outdoor Miner said:
Easiest heroic to heal with a decent group IMO is Culling of Stratholme.
I hate healing that one.

Too many mobs means the tank tends to get hit from behind.

TomServo said:
I really didn't think it was difficult. You've got three types of runes, two each, on cooldown. It's just a matter of looking at the abilities and figuring out a rotation based on what runes they consume.

Death strike is a starter skill, consumes frost+unholy. Unless you spec into frost the only other option for using the second frost rune is icy touch. Blood strike x 2 consumes both blood runes, plague strike consumes the last unholy rune. Change the order a bit, maybe change the attacks based on what you specced into (i.e. replace blood strike w/ heart strike when it becomes available), rinse and repeat.

If one can't figure that out, that would explain why there are so many fail DKs around. Honestly the only thing that puzzled me for a second was runic power, since there's little to nothing you do with up while leveling aside from death coil (and specced as blood with the death strike glyph I rarely do that while leveling).
I would really have to disagree with that; Death Strike doesn't do more damage than using another Icy Touch and Plague Strike unless you spec into Improved Death Strike in deep Blood talents, and it did less damage than a single Blood Strike prior to 3.0.8 AND it's damage isn't increased by on target diseases, which the "main" strikes, all are; i.e. Obliterate, Scourge Strike and Heart Strike. This is why most people don't "get" the DK damage dealing system at low levels.

RP, beyond Frost Strike and Death Coil, is mostly used for situational type abilities; i.e. Anti-Magic Shell, Icebound Fort., Mind Freeze (interrupt) etc. But for the most part, all it does is Death Coil or Frost Strike.

How do I get the Heirloom items? I just started an alt and was wondering how difficult they would be to attain. Is it possible to send them to a toon on a different server? And does the 10% exp gain stack? How many times does it stack?

Entropia

No One Remembers
The Lamonster said:
How do I get the Heirloom items? I just started an alt and was wondering how difficult they would be to attain. Is it possible to send them to a toon on a different server? And does the 10% exp gain stack? How many times does it stack?

You get the heirloom items via Emblems of Heroism or Champion's Seals. To get Emblems of Heroism you will need to run Heroic Dungeons (easiest way) or Naxx 10/25. Don't bother with Sarth or Malygos. You'll get Emblems of Conquest from those off the bosses. You then go to the Emblem of Conquest Vendor and purchase Emblems of Valor and then go to the Emblem of Valor Vendor and purchase the Emblems of Heroism and then there's a Heirloom item vendor. You basically convert your Emblems of Conquest down to Emblems of Heroism.

The chest/shoulders are 40 Emblems of Heroism. They both give you a 10% experience gain for both quests and mobs. This does stack. So by wearing both you have a 20% increase.

With 3.3 on the horizon, they're also putting in a new fishing tournament put on by the Walrus people. The reward for that is a ring with stamina/hit/crit and also gives 5% experience gains.

If you had all three you'll have a 25% increase in quests.

As of right now you can only send them to a character of the same faction on the same server. So if your Heirloom items are on your Alliance toon and you start a Horde toon on the same server, you can't send the Heirloom item over.

I believe Blizzard said that they're working on making it so that you can send it cross-faction. Not sure about cross-server yet.

border

The really should just give you an "Heirloom Item" bank slot, and everytime you buy an heirloom with any character, that item becomes available to all characters on any server....simply appearing in that bank slot. Having only 1 heirloom that has to be swapped and mailed around is kinda stupid.

Entropia

No One Remembers
border said:
The really should just give you an "Heirloom Item" bank slot, and everytime you buy an heirloom with any character, that item becomes available to all characters on any server....simply appearing in that bank slot. Having only 1 heirloom that has to be swapped and mailed around is kinda stupid.

That, or whenever you make a new character any heirloom items you've purchased are sent to them and they take what they can use. Similar to what they've done with pets (Grunty, Game Fuel thing, etc).

border

The new tournament seems like yet another attempt to salvage Fishing.....does anyone care at this point, though? Can the profession really be saved? I know some people do it (probably more out of obsession or obligation), but I really can't justify the time I'd spend leveling my skill.

Angry Grimace

Weenerz said:
Fishing is a great money maker. Every raid uses a fish feast and those fish are top sellers.
I usually skip the feast for my beloved Dragonfin Filets :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
border said:
Fishing is a timesink though, and there are far less dull ways to make money.
It really depends on how you go about it I find.

Fishing straight to max in-game and doing nothing else is close to ripping your eyeballs out. A good thing to do is watch movies while you do the fishing on auto-pilot. It takes about 10 mins to properly get into the automated mood, but once it happens you tend to just have everything click together.

I managed to watch through a couple of movies in my backlog while using a fishing & cooking level-up guide.

Tamanon

Banned
I fish when I'm out of dailies(or doing the fishing one) and waiting in LFG. Any time where I'm waiting for a bit, I just pop down and get out the ol' rod and reel, 3 gold coins from the achievement now!

It's actually kinda relaxing, IMO. And great for leveling your cooking up to where you can actually MAKE Fish Feasts.

Angry Grimace

speedpop said:
It really depends on how you go about it I find.

Fishing straight to max in-game and doing nothing else is close to ripping your eyeballs out. A good thing to do is watch movies while you do the fishing on auto-pilot. It takes about 10 mins to properly get into the automated mood, but once it happens you tend to just have everything click together.

I managed to watch through a couple of movies in my backlog while using a fishing & cooking level-up guide.
The fishing needs to be overhauled into something fun though. There's a difference between grinding something, and straight out boring-nonfun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom