• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Lamonster said:
They don't necessarily need to make it fun, just make leveling about ten times faster than it is.
There shouldn't be things in the game that are baseline not fun. Making money is actually fun, i.e. grinding out some titanium bars to turn into Titansteel and sell at a huge profit has a clear time->reward aspect that to some people is actually fun.

Fishing requires not only an enormous time component but it's not particularly profitable nor is it "competitive" because the resource is unlimited.

Every other gathering type profession has at least a fun component because it's competitive, profitable, and relatively painless to level.

Put this way, it took me ~2 hours to level Herbalism from 375 to 450, and I had more than enough herbs to get my Alchemy from 370 to 450 (although I bought the Frost Lotus and sold the Flasks for an equal amount, making it a wash)

border

Angry Grimace said:
The fishing needs to be overhauled into something fun though. There's a difference between grinding something, and straight out boring-nonfun.
That's kind of what I'm saying -- instead of fixing the profession all they have done is try to entice you into a grind with a few throwaway rewards.

Just looking at the WoWWiki Fishing page, they estimate that it takes roughly 4 hours straight to get Fishing from 340 to 400. That's ridiculous. It either needs to go faster or be more fun.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The only downside to every other profession is that I can't watch movies at the same time whilst out hunting herbs or mining nodes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
border said:
That's kind of what I'm saying -- instead of fixing the profession all they have done is try to entice you into a grind with a few throwaway rewards.

Just looking at the WoWWiki Fishing page, they estimate that it takes roughly 4 hours straight to get Fishing from 340 to 400. That's ridiculous. It either needs to go faster or be more fun.

(a) Fishing has few real rewards
(b) Fishing is less fun than every other profession by far
(c) Fishing takes significantly longer than every other profession and cannot be modified by just having a lot of gold, or doing anything, really.

My 30 second solution:

Make Fishing similar to other "node" based profession and just make the "Fish schools" regular resource nodes that increase levels in the same fashion as Ore Nodes do for mining (i.e. Orange schools give a guaranteed point, Yellow gives 60% chance at skill up, etc.). Leave the randomness of fishing something up to the actual Fishing Contests which are more optional elements of Fishing as a profession.

It's not an elegant solution and in fact is just a clone of Mining/Herbalising, but at least I could be persuaded to do it.

speedpop said:
The only downside to every other profession is that I can't watch movies at the same time whilst out hunting herbs or mining nodes.

You shouldn't want to be doing something else while playing a game.

Tamanon

Banned
Weenerz said:
$25 for race changes :lol

I can feel the Activision blood seeping into Blizzard.

Considering it's been $25 for any service that changes your character even before Activision was involved, I don't see it.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
Considering it's been $25 for any service that changes your character even before Activision was involved, I don't see it.
Cost me 25 to move a rogue off of my old account onto my new one too. It's been like that for a while because people are willing to pay that kind of money. I think it's partially both that the idea is your character should be a more permanent investment and that the kind of person that wants to do that kind of thing will pay the money.

The line gets drawn at class changes though, at least for me. Won't ever happen.

border

I think fishing should be turned into a minigame, where your performance determines your ability to skillup. It doesn't have to have much depth, but it needs to be more than "Click this thing when you hear a noise".

Angry Grimace

border said:
I think fishing should be turned into a minigame, where your performance determines your ability to skillup. It doesn't have to have much depth, but it needs to be more than "Click this thing when you hear a noise".
None of the other professions are skill-based though, so I doubt Blizzard would bother to overhaul it like that. More people would play it that way though.

Admission: When tired of questing on my rogue, I have, run all the way to the edge of the map in AV, stealthed and then started playing Bejeweled =/

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
None of the other professions are skill-based though, so I doubt Blizzard would bother to overhaul it like that. More people would play it that way though.

Admission: When tired of questing on my rogue, I have, run all the way to the edge of the map in AV, stealthed and then started playing Bejeweled =/
Oh you're one of those guys.

border

Angry Grimace said:

It doesn't have to lock out people that suck, it just has to make things faster and more engaging for people that don't suck.

Consider the cast bar on fishing takes an excruciating 17-20 seconds to countdown.....how about a casting minigame that would reduce it to 6-10 seconds if properly performed? It could be like the swing meters in Tiger Woods or something.

Angry Grimace

border said:
It doesn't have to lock out people that suck, it just has to make things faster and more engaging for people that don't suck.

Consider the cast bar on fishing takes an excruciating 17-20 seconds to countdown.....how about a casting minigame that would reduce it to 6-10 seconds if properly performed? It could be like the swing meters in Tiger Woods or something.
It needs to be completely overhauled. Making something that baseline sucks easier doesn't make it not suck. It's like when they added analog controls to Lair. It doesn't make it better, just gives you more options for sucking.

Cipherr

They finally went ahead and laid down the law for Pures and Hybrids, and I couldnt be more happy, folks will cry but it will pass:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...77330431&sid=1

Fuck....yes..... I have always wondered why it is the hybrids that are the most vocal in this particular MMO. Maybe because there are more of them, since this game doesn't have pure tanks or pure healers so there are just waaaaaay more hybrids than pure dps.

But so rarely do you see someone raging out about the way a pure dps has to sit in LFG for 2 hours in order to find an instance run because we are a dime a dozen. But you ALWAYS hear from the hybrids who feel like having the option (doesn't matter if you don't use it, its there) to fulfill another role should matter. Saying that it makes them second class citizens not doing equal dps to a pure. Which would, just make the pures second class citizens instead?

Ugh.. Anyway I liked shaman when the game went live, loved their class mechanics but went with the hunter anyway because I had played enough MMO's to know I wanted to fulfill the role of a DD class. (at least thats what I used to call them before the WoW community coined this 'Pure' nonsense)

Angry Grimace

Puncture said:
They finally went ahead and laid down the law for Pures and Hybrids, and I couldnt be more happy, folks will cry but it will pass:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20677330431&sid=1

Fuck....yes..... I have always wondered why it is the hybrids that are the most vocal in this particular MMO. Maybe because there are more of them, since this game doesn't have pure tanks or pure healers so there are just waaaaaay more hybrids than pure dps.

But so rarely do you see someone raging out about the way a pure dps has to sit in LFG for 2 hours in order to find an instance run because we are a dime a dozen. But you ALWAYS hear from the hybrids who feel like having the option (doesn't matter if you don't use it, its there) to fulfill another role should matter. Saying that it makes them second class citizens not doing equal dps to a pure. Which would, just make the pures second class citizens instead?

Ugh.. Anyway I liked shaman when the game went live, loved their class mechanics but went with the hunter anyway because I had played enough MMO's to know I wanted to fulfill the role of a DD class. (at least thats what I used to call them before the WoW community coined this 'Pure' nonsense)
I'm not really sure what you are saying, but there's nothing to be happy about in terms of Pure vs. Hybrid. The separation between "pure" and "hybrid" used to be balanced out around 30%, not 5%. It's not even relevant anymore beyond the meter obsessed.

Tamanon

Banned
I play almost only hybrids and even I knew that DPS-only classes should do more DPS. If I wanted to do max DPS, I wouldn't be a druid or priest.

Although I think that might mean more damage nerfing of Death Knights, they're pretty competitive for the top spots, but that might just be because of how much of their damage is spreading DoTs, something that's really tough to tone down without breaking the class.

Tamanon

Banned
The Heroic Wrath of the Lich King Daily Random Dungeon option will award two Emblems of Frost no more than once a day.
The normal Wrath of the Lich King Daily Random Dungeon option will award two Emblems of Triumph no more than once a day.
Continuing to complete Wrath of the Lich King Heroic instances using the Daily Random Dungeon option will award players two additional Emblems of Triumph each time.
Daily Heroic and normal dungeon quests have been removed. These quests have been replaced with weekly raid quests (see the “Quests” section for details).
Level-appropriate rewards will be offered to players who choose the Random Dungeon option for pre-Wrath of the Lich King dungeons.
Players can be placed in a group for a random dungeon no more than once every 15 minutes.
Random Dungeon rewards will be placed in each player’s inventory automatically upon completion of the dungeon (final boss killed). A pop-up notification will display any rewards earned through the Dungeon System.

http://www.worldofraids.com/

So, even after you do the Heroic random daily, each heroic random afterwards will give you two extra triumph badges. Really good stuff.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:

So, even after you do the Heroic random daily, each heroic random afterwards will give you two extra triumph badges. Really good stuff.
My only problem with it is that there's literally no incentive to ever travel to any dungeon ever or even really have them on the map. It's one of those things that break the whole "world" for me.

Cipherr

Tamanon said:

Are you certain thats what it means? Almost seems to contradict itself, but maybe I glossed over it to fast. Good news though.

Angry Grimace said:
My only problem with it is that there's literally no incentive to ever travel to any dungeon ever or even really have them on the map. It's one of those things that break the whole "world" for me.

I dunno, I mean consider all it is now is 3 people hopping a taxi to the closest flight path then flying over to the stone and summoning the other 2 lazy asses.

Im not sure how much this will really break the world TBH. Flying enabled in every zone of the game will break it more IMO. Any chance of world PvP on a PvE server will be gone. It still happens rarely at times now, but thats going to end forever in cata.

Tamanon

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

Eh, to be fair, once you travel to them once, it's pretty pointless afterwards. It's the same thing that happened to the Battlegrounds initially. Remember when you used to have to fly all the way out to Alterac Mountains? World's been broken for a while in that sense.:lol

Tamanon

Banned
Players who take part in groups who have one or more members who have been matched with them randomly from within the Dungeon System will receive extra rewards, up to and including the coveted Perky Pug non-combat pet. The more random players with whom one groups, the faster the pet can be obtained.
Players can be placed in a group for a random dungeon no more than once every 15 minutes.
The Need Before Greed loot system will be the unalterable default looting system for pick-up groups in the Dungeon System and has been updated.
Need Before Greed will now recognize gear appropriate for a class in three ways: the class must be able to equip the item, pure melee will be unable to roll on spell power items, and classes are limited to their dominant armor type (ex. paladins for plate). All items will still be available via Greed rolls as well as the new Disenchant option should no member be able to use the item.
Players will be able to roll on items with a required minimum level higher than a player's current level.
LFG channel has returned to being a realm-wide channel accessible in any city!

Perky Pug pet!

Also, the return of the LFG channel without queueing for anything is great. /leave trade from now on.

Cipherr

Tamanon said:
Perky Pug pet!

Also, the return of the LFG channel without queueing for anything is great. /leave trade from now on.

Wow eff yeah, the return of the channel everyone in the WORLD is in! :lol :lol I miss this SO much. God it so much easier to recruit people for a run with this available. Not every hangs out in the current lfg channel but back when it was just realm wide almost everyone was in it.

And boy oh BOY are they on a roll today!

Racial

* Will of the Forsaken now shares a 45 sec cooldown with other similar effects.

Paladin
Holy

* Sacred Shield can now only occur every 30 sec. (Up from 6 sec)
* Lay on Hands can no longer be cast on yourself.
* Infusion of Light now also reduces the cooldown on the effect of Sacred Shield by 12/24 sec.
* Aura Mastery now lasts 6 sec. (Down from 10 sec)

I would be a lie if I said I wasnt happy about the WoTF nerf as an alliance lock. Knowing I can get a 45 second window after their trinket is absolutely massive. They clearly need to do the same to Escape artist so I can no longer trinket a sheep get frost nova'd and EA that. But still, a huge change for anyone pvping on an alliance Warlock of Priest. Fighting an UD DK or War or anything that also has a trinket equipped is a joke.

NFI where all the paladin nerfs are coming from. I hear its arena related.

Ashodin

Jesus Fucking Christ What the Goddamn
g600785054.gif

A bit late but as someone who has been a BB tourny away from Salty for a while I wanted to comment on fishing. Fishing is one part of WOW that isn't a race for the best shinies. It's about kicking back with a beer and your favourite podcast and chilling. If you think it takes too long to get to max level then you may have missed the point of fishing.

Angry Grimace

jim-jam bongs said:
A bit late but as someone who has been a BB tourny away from Salty for a while I wanted to comment on fishing. Fishing is one part of WOW that isn't a race for the best shinies. It's about kicking back with a beer and your favourite podcast and chilling. If you think it takes too long to get to max level then you may have missed the point of fishing.
We're going to have to disagree. That's what real fishing is about.

WoW fishing is not real fishing.

border said:

Or...what? It's an MMO, you can do it from capitol cities, do it with +Fishing stuff in Northrend for valuable catches, you can watch TV while doing it, and there's no bomb collar on your neck should you not do it in x hours. So again, or what?

It's become clear the LPH (LEWTZ per hour) quotient is the base for all balancing now.

*reads pally and racial changes*

Or maybe it's just hard drugs.

Angry Grimace said:
We're going to have to disagree. That's what real fishing is about.

WoW fishing is not real fishing.

Although that's true, I'd say that there are many aspects of fishing in WOW that mirror real fishing. I guess the point that I'm making is that, just like real fishing, it's not meant to be an exciting way to pass the time. :lol

They already made it a lot easier to level anyway. I know that there are some cool rewards for fishing that make people feel obliged to get to max level so that they can chase them (i.e. mount and pet achievement fanatics after stuff, and people who want the new ring) but the nature of the profession hasn't really changed. It's still wantonly mundane.

Magnus

I don't get what the change means for the LFG channel. You could always join it without queueing for a group. Just type /join lookingforgroup

Angry Grimace

If I sold all those Titansteel bars and Moonshroud and Epic Gems from transmutes and Converted all my badges to orbs, I sort of wonder how much money I'd have :lol

Angry Grimace

btw, Expertise is the dumbest stat ever. It's really just Hit Cap 2.0 but I'm so damn anal it just pisses me off and I'm actually considering, against my better judgment, getting that 226 belt with Expertise made just so I don't drop down to an abysmal 12 Expertise. I really should just be patient with it and wait for the Ony sword or Bloodbath Belt or ToC-10 trinket. It's driving me nuts. :lol

thatbox

Banned
Hello, I'm Blizzard. I have no fucking idea what healer balance looks like in PVE. I'm going to go get some coffee and then see if I can come up with a new and completely nonsensical way to nerf paladins!

I'M BACK. Let's gut Aura Mastery!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Belfast said:
To be honest, the Lay on Hands change will likely hurt Pally tanks more than healers.

Rets in PVP too. They just took away one of our free mans! I'm down to only one now!

Tamanon

Banned
Looks like Blizz is already backtracking on the Lay on Hands change. They're also talking about that these changes are all currently just experiments.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Tamanon said:
Looks like Blizz is already backtracking on the Lay on Hands change. They're also talking about that these changes are all currently just experiments.

Where is the backtracking?

Also; does anyone know if MMO-Champ just uses the model viewer that is so readily available or do they use something that they developed themselves.

Also, is there a way to track the new items in WoW model viewer so you can load up a new build and see new models and such?

Tamanon

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
Where is the backtracking?

Also; does anyone know if MMO-Champ just uses the model viewer that is so readily available or do they use something that they developed themselves.

Also, is there a way to track the new items in WoW model viewer so you can load up a new build and see new models and such?

http://www.worldofraids.com/wow-blu...7861597-recent-3-3-ptr-paladin-changes.html#0

As you can see, we are trying some different things with some paladin mechanics.

The Aura Mastery change (to 6 sec duration) is one we think is appropriate. If I had to guess, this one will stick.

We are trying some things with Sacred Shield to make it more of a Holy tool and less useful for Ret and Prot (without being totally irrelevant). I don't have a lot of faith that the implementation on the PTR is the one we'll go with for a couple of reasons, but our overall goal is to make Ret less tanky and the Holy tree feel like it's the right one to focus on for healing. I would expect a Sacred Shield change of some kind though.

I wouldn't worry too much on the Lay on Hands change at this point. I don't want to promise we won't change the spell for 3.3, but our intent was to revert the others only change before it went out to the PTR, which is why we didn't patch note it. We have already changed it back on our local builds.

The paladin class isn't just supposed to be for support anymore, but at the same time, the original intent for many paladin abilities was to help the group. Over time however they have contributed into making the paladin into a "one-man army," able to play offensively, defensively and heal without say the stance changing or shapeshifting or sometimes event talent specialization required of other classes. Many of the LK balance problems we've had with the class are because of that core issue.

With that said, we're just not sure a Lay on Hands change really accomplishes much from a balance perspective, while it feels bad to lose such an iconic ability. We just don't think the bang for the buck is there on this change, which is why we reverted it. But I'm not going to promise we won't touch it.

In fact, I'm not going to promise anything with this post. :) Please don't dredge it up later to try and argue against any upcoming changes. I'm just trying to clear up some confusion.

Belfast

I'd like to know the answer, too. I can find some of the stuff Boubouille posts using the stock model viewer, but nowhere near as much as he does.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Belfast said:
I'd like to know the answer, too. I can find some of the stuff Boubouille posts using the stock model viewer, but nowhere near as much as he does.

As far as I know they still had screenshots of stuff when the model viewer was broken for quite some time after 3.2 came out.

At first I thought they hay have had some tools or some inside connections with Blizzard since they had these things in higher quality than just the generic model viewer, but then they leaked cataclysm and I highly doubt anyone at Blizzard was happy about that.

More than likely they have some independent person developing a viewer for them, or they paid the guy who made the old one. IIRC the newest version is open sourced and made by someone new.

I mainly want the function of comparing the list of models in a new build to the last time I loaded up the model viewer, cause I know he isn't just going through the list and picking out things that look new and the Anti-Aliasing. That may be in the regular model viewer but I can't find the option.

Edit: Found the AA :p.

yacobod

Banned
VaLiancY said:
With race changes now out, I guess I can level up my Paladin and give up on the Death Knight.

is race changes something new, not related to faction changes??

last night we 1 shot everything in 25m togc up until anub, now we have 50 attempts left to try to down this bastard, hopefully get it done tonight

got heroic twin's pact on my hunter last night, makes me the best geared hunter on my server by a decent margin, i would imagine i'm prolly one of the top 5-10 best geared hunters worldwide

VaLiancY

yacobod said:
is race changes something new, not related to faction changes??

Yeah, it's new. I believe it was announced yesterday but I could be wrong. Blizzard has the FAQ up on there page.

Regarding the race change, this thread is nothing but QQ and lulz on the WoW forums regarding the WotF nerf(shares a cooldown with PvP trinkets). It's a conspiracy guys, Blizz wants us to race change after this nerf!:lol

yacobod

Banned
damn i would expect a huge influx of new orcs horde side, since they are by far the best race for any class that can be orc

welcome your new dks, wars, rog, hunts, locks, shaman overlords

FLEABttn

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
A bit late but as someone who has been a BB tourny away from Salty for a while.

PvE or PvP? My girlfriend was dying to get Salty, and we were on a PvP server at the time, and the way she got it was:

1) Getting about 10 other people from our (our faction), 3 protecting her and 7 going around killing alliance, and getting 3 alliance to go around and kill any horde that wasn't from our group.
2) Luck.

explodet

I finally got my Hallow's Eve achivement yesterday - although I had to talk to 2 GMs and miss out on an Onyxia10 PUG in order to do it.
The first time the GM gave me my achivement, it was undone when I ported back to Dalaran! Something was seriously messed with my account interally, I guess. Fuck that random drop achivement - I was 13/20 in flimsy masks and got about 3 or 4 Sinister Squashlings trying to get the Hallowed Helm to drop.

Angry Grimace said:
Hit Cap 2.0
Thank you! I couldn't put my finger on what bugged me about expertise but that sums it up nicely.

Angry Grimace

explodet said:
Thank you! I couldn't put my finger on what bugged me about expertise but that sums it up nicely.
The thing that pisses me off about it is that there's very few options if I don't already have a bunch. There's a Trinket that sucks otherwise (Victor's Call), a Sword that's a 8% drop off of Onyxia, that I lost the roll on by 2 once, and some shit in 25 man that I have to roll against 8 other people for, in the event it ever drops (it doesn't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom