• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomServo

So what exactly has changed that's making people worry about max level fishing?

With the hooks from the Outland daily or a Weather-beaten Fishing Hat plus the quest reward Nat Pagle's Lucky Fishing Pole I was doing Northrend dailies at like 350 fishing with minimal junk.

Even now I think my main's fishing is only around 405.

Angry Grimace said:
I would really have to disagree with that; Death Strike doesn't do more damage than using another Icy Touch and Plague Strike unless you spec into Improved Death Strike in deep Blood talents, and it did less damage than a single Blood Strike prior to 3.0.8 AND it's damage isn't increased by on target diseases, which the "main" strikes, all are; i.e. Obliterate, Scourge Strike and Heart Strike. This is why most people don't "get" the DK damage dealing system at low levels.

I started leveling w/ 17 points in Unholy (for On a Pale Horse) and the rest in Blood.

Comparisons of death strike to blood stike are pointless - they're consuming different runes. I still prefer death strike to obliterate for leveling because the self heal is stupidly OP when talented and glyphed. As for death strike vs. additional icy touch + plague strike, with death strike you can squeeze in a death coil before your runes start to come off of cooldown. Put it at the end of /castsequence behind Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Strike x2, and Death Strike and there's always enough RP to get a Death Coil off.

Leveling is never about min/max'ing dps, it's about minimizing downtime. But back to the original point - it's not counterintuitive to look at the resources your character has (runes, mana, energy, rage) and figure out an efficient way to consume them. If someone is playing a DK in a way that has multiple runes not being consumed then obviously there's a lot of room for improvement. Even in our disagreement here we're agreeing that all the runes need to be on cooldown as much as possible.

Macattk15

yacobod said:
is race changes something new, not related to faction changes??

last night we 1 shot everything in 25m togc up until anub, now we have 50 attempts left to try to down this bastard, hopefully get it done tonight

got heroic twin's pact on my hunter last night, makes me the best geared hunter on my server by a decent margin, i would imagine i'm prolly one of the top 5-10 best geared hunters worldwide

GL. We got BONED by lag last night on Faction Champs ToGC 25. We killed Anub with 49 attempts left, would've had Tribute to Insanity ToGC otherwise. Ah well, thems the breaks!

VaLiancY

yacobod said:
damn i would expect a huge influx of new orcs horde side, since they are by far the best race for any class that can be orc

welcome your new dks, wars, rog, hunts, locks, shaman overlords

orc_vectorized_blueorange.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TomServo said:
So what exactly has changed that's making people worry about max level fishing?

With the hooks from the Outland daily or a Weather-beaten Fishing Hat plus the quest reward Nat Pagle's Lucky Fishing Pole I was doing Northrend dailies at like 350 fishing with minimal junk.

Even now I think my main's fishing is only around 405.

I started leveling w/ 17 points in Unholy (for On a Pale Horse) and the rest in Blood.

Comparisons of death strike to blood stike are pointless - they're consuming different runes. I still prefer death strike to obliterate for leveling because the self heal is stupidly OP when talented and glyphed. As for death strike vs. additional icy touch + plague strike, with death strike you can squeeze in a death coil before your runes start to come off of cooldown. Put it at the end of /castsequence behind Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Strike x2, and Death Strike and there's always enough RP to get a Death Coil off.

Leveling is never about min/max'ing dps, it's about minimizing downtime. But back to the original point - it's not counterintuitive to look at the resources your character has (runes, mana, energy, rage) and figure out an efficient way to consume them. If someone is playing a DK in a way that has multiple runes not being consumed then obviously there's a lot of room for improvement. Even in our disagreement here we're agreeing that all the runes need to be on cooldown as much as possible.
See, this is what I'm saying; Death Strike does less damage than one rune attacks and it requires 2. I used Blood Strike as an example (which I shouldn't have, probably) simply because it does more damage than 1 Death Strike. That is not true of a single Icy Touch or Plague Strike, but an IT+PS does more damage for the F + U runes than a Death Strike does. Most DK alts that I know just spam more ITs and PSs.

I'm wasn't saying it based on speculation; I've had a number of players with DK alts comment on this. It's irrelevant if you already know how to play the class; but if you did you would know not to spec Frost before level 63 and if you specced Deep Unholy (which I suspect many leveling players do for the perma-ghoul), you probably should have Scourge Strike (which sucks at the moment, but that's a different argument entirely).

We started Mimiron's hard mode last night. Had a couple ugly wipes starting out, but it wasn't long before we had P1 and then P2 down easily. We're stuck on P3 right now, but I like the progress we made.

Those first wipes took some air out of our sails but by the end I was having a blast. Very fun/challenging fight and I can't wait to try it again tonight. I fucked up in P3 by picking up the water-spraying mobs instead of letting dps deal with them.

TomServo

VaLiancY said:
Sorry, I don't have a dual screen monitor setup. :(

LMAO

Angry Grimace said:
That is not true of a single Icy Touch or Plague Strike, but an IT+PS does more damage for the F + U runes than a Death Strike does. Most DK alts that I know just spam more ITs and PSs.

Ah, but is IT+PS more than Death Strike+Death Coil?

On my 68 DK the runes refresh in about six GCD's. If I was using a second round of IT+PS it'd be time to move back onto the first round of those attacks and then my two blood strikes, rinse, repeat.

The death strike consumes both runes, heals for a significant amount, and I have time to throw in a DC before it's time to start the rotation over again.

I'm not knocking by saying this, but it's hilarious to me that we're arguing over leveling DK rotations. Must be boredom waiting for Icecrown :p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
yacobod said:
damn i would expect a huge influx of new orcs horde side, since they are by far the best race for any class that can be orc

welcome your new dks, wars, rog, hunts, locks, shaman overlords
:lol I was considering changing my Tauren Shaman into an Orc Shaman, but I suppose I need a Tauren around still. Maybe I'll do it and create a Tauren Paladin so I can legitimately dummy spit whenever something goes wrong in-game.

Wrekt

Angry Grimace said:
Spec into Improved Unholy Presence and stay in Unholy Presence; your rotation will be:

IT PS BS BS SS DC

Your rotation should only be one Runeset long; this works great for leveling as well as dungeons because very very few mobs live to your second set of runes.

For leveling, the only blood talent that's really super necessary is Subversion.

Edit: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jcZZf0hIxfbx0zxbhIq <----Leveling build to level 66 that I recommend.
Thanks for the suggestion. While BS doesn't hit quite as hard as my previous rotation, I have a lot more runes to play with which reduces the boredom by quite a bit. I'm still not a fan of the class but at least I have more buttons to mash.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TomServo said:
LMAO

Ah, but is IT+PS more than Death Strike+Death Coil?

On my 68 DK the runes refresh in about six GCD's. If I was using a second round of IT+PS it'd be time to move back onto the first round of those attacks and then my two blood strikes, rinse, repeat.

The death strike consumes both runes, heals for a significant amount, and I have time to throw in a DC before it's time to start the rotation over again.

I'm not knocking by saying this, but it's hilarious to me that we're arguing over leveling DK rotations. Must be boredom waiting for Icecrown :p
This discussion is a bit surreal, actually. As for the question; it depends on what presence you are in. IT + PS generates more runic power than Death Strike does, but it would depend on which presence you were in whether or not you could do both. With Glyph of IT (in Unholy pres.), you'd be able to fit 2 Death Coils in before your first Frost rune refreshed. My guess is more along the lines that more leveling players are in Unholy Pres. most of the time.

Playing in Blood Presence seems SO slow after playing in Imp. Unholy Pres. for so long (not to mention leveling a rogue, although my rogue has significantly more open GCDs) I'm dreading the new Unholy, which will be a Blood Pres. spec for certain. It's too bad, PvP killed the only remaining Unholy pres. specs. Again.

I might go back to Blood spec. but damn if I don't get bored with Heart Strike spam specs. There's something fun about the chaos of having a GCD open every 1 sec. and something to do every single one.

VaLiancY

speedpop said:
:lol I was considering changing my Tauren Shaman into an Orc Shaman, but I suppose I need a Tauren around still. Maybe I'll do it and create a Tauren Paladin so I can legitimately dummy spit whenever something goes wrong in-game.

I need a Tauren to balance out all the green I got in my character roster. Don't know if I will level a Paladin when Cata hits or just race change one but I'm leaning for more of the former.

TomServo

Angry Grimace said:
This discussion is a bit surreal, actually.

It makes me want to try out unholy again for leveling though. I've done blood from 58-68, tried unholy for a brief time but for me it felt quicker to chain pull as blood than to AoE as unholy.

What level are jewelcrafting dailies available at? My DK is a 450 JC'er, but I was under the impression the dailies weren't available until 80. Someone told me 65?

Tamanon

Banned
TomServo said:
It makes me want to try out unholy again for leveling though. I've done blood from 58-68, tried unholy for a brief time but for me it felt quicker to chain pull as blood than to AoE as unholy.

What level are jewelcrafting dailies available at? My DK is a 450 JC'er, but I was under the impression the dailies weren't available until 80. Someone told me 65?

I'm pretty sure it's 68. I think you have to do the quest for gem perfection first. I do remember doing them as I leveled my mage in outland though. Cooking/Fishing/JC quests were easy 70k XP a day.

TomServo

Tamanon said:
I'm pretty sure it's 68. I think you have to do the quest for gem perfection first.

Pretty sure I did that one - it's been a while, I'm guessing if I get the occasional perfect cut on a Northrend green gem with him that I did that quest?

Starting to get nervous that I won't get the Hallowed Helm and have to wait another f'ing year to get the Violet Proto Drake.

What genius came up with the idea to have RNG-based holiday achievements??

TomServo

The Lamonster said:
Starting to get nervous that I won't get the Hallowed Helm and have to wait another f'ing year to get the Violet Proto Drake.

What genius came up with the idea to have RNG-based holiday achievements??

I got it done a couple of days in, but as someone who was freaking out about the Valentine's candy bags I sympathize. I couldn't believe that was part of the meta for Hallow's End.

Angry Grimace

TomServo said:

I don't know that there is a level limit. I know you can't turn in the Broken Necklaces until 77 though, so perhaps it's similar:

Edit: Wowhead confirms the Req. level is 65. However, you almost assuredly need a certain still in JC.

As for the Hallowed Helm, can't you just ask whoever gets the item to trade it to you, equip it, and then give it back?

border

Angry Grimace said:
As for the Hallowed Helm, can't you just ask whoever gets the item to trade it to you, equip it, and then give it back?
That may have worked at one time, but it doesn't anymore. If you run Headless Horseman 5x day then you should have no trouble getting one, especially since most of the achievement whores have already gotten theirs. I've seen plenty of groups where everyone passed on it.

Hero

Angry Grimace said:
I don't know that there is a level limit. I know you can't turn in the Broken Necklaces until 77 though, so perhaps it's similar:

Edit: Wowhead confirms the Req. level is 65. However, you almost assuredly need a certain still in JC.

The achievement is to loot it, not wear it.

Angry Grimace

border said:
That may have worked at one time, but it doesn't anymore. If you run Headless Horseman 5x day then you should have no trouble getting one, especially since most of the achievement whores have already gotten theirs. I've seen plenty of groups where everyone passed on it.
Last year I got a Hallowed Helm in a treat bag though.

Soule

Finally returned to WoW after trying to get back in several times interrupted by lack of interest, computer issues, internet issues and real life drama but I'm happy I came back when I did JUST got my Hallowed be they Name achivement and love the title, took forever to get the squashling though.

Gonna go hard for the achievements, me and a mate are starting to get ready for 'the insane' title although he's going for loremaster first.

Hero said:
I'm telling you it won't.

This is really confusing unless they changed it very recently. I got mine a few weeks ago in HH and it didn't register until I logged off then logged back on with it in my inventory. I then gave it to a friend who was there when it dropped, and he did the same. Both got the achievement.

Angry Grimace

2 Reins of the Grand Black War Mammoth dropped in VoA today. In one run.

border

jim-jam bongs said:
This is really confusing unless they changed it very recently. I got mine a few weeks ago in HH and it didn't register until I logged off then logged back on with it in my inventory. I then gave it to a friend who was there when it dropped, and he did the same. Both got the achievement.
I'm not saying that it is impossible, but it's certainly more complex than just trading the Hallowed Helm to another group member. I tried to help somebody out by trading him the helm, and he got nothing. He left the dungeon and reset it, went back inside and traded again.....still nothing. Maybe relogging is the trick, maybe not.

I've done HH everyday since the beginning, got my hallowed helm on day one. I've seen the sinister squashling once though. Naturally I lost it. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the damn achievement. Also, I have yet to get the goddamn toothpick from a candy bag.

fid

Neo Member
HELP!! My account has been compromised and my account wasn't under my name, it was under my friends who i transfered my toon from. So now if I contact account support, what do I do/tell them?

traveler

Not Wario
Welp, I went and did it. I'm officially back into WoW. Of course, the first problem with that is addons. So, I just decided to delete the entire folder rather than try and figure out what I'd like to keep or get rid of and then update.

So, any great UI compilations out there? (With DKs in mind preferably)

Angry Grimace

fid said:
HELP!! My account has been compromised and my account wasn't under my name, it was under my friends who i transfered my toon from. So now if I contact account support, what do I do/tell them?
Better hope you are still friends

yacobod

Banned
fid said:

he could have easily stolen it back from you

you can call support and pretend to be the owner, if you have all the account information, you can get it easily restored

all you need is the acct name, SQ/SA, you also have to verifty the First and Last Name registered to the account

fid

Neo Member
yacobod said:
he could have easily stolen it back from you

you can call support and pretend to be the owner, if you have all the account information, you can get it easily restored

all you need is the acct name, SQ/SA, you also have to verifty the First and Last Name registered to the account

It wasn't my friend because I know him in real life. The only reason why I had to create my account with his name on it was so I could xfer my toon from his account to mine. I have all the information relating to the account, the only thing that I was worried about was that blizzard might require an ID so than I wouldnt know what to do in that case.

Xabora

traveler said:
Welp, I went and did it. I'm officially back into WoW. Of course, the first problem with that is addons. So, I just decided to delete the entire folder rather than try and figure out what I'd like to keep or get rid of and then update.

So, any great UI compilations out there? (With DKs in mind preferably)
I myself tend to use:
EventAlert (Self Modded)
Pitbull
Bartender
TellMeWhen
OmniCC
Pawn (Weighted Scales for Gear)
TipTac

Angry Grimace

Liking the new quest-lines they put in for ICC; you get to do a few neat things; i.e. sneak into the Sunreaver Pavilion or Silver Enclave (depending on faction), get some history on
Blood-Queen Lana'theil
and Quel'delar and Quel'serrar (they are "brother swords.") and has a cameo from
Kalecgos!

In other news, Chill of the Throne no longer causes damage. Instead; it is now a functional clone of Sunwell Radiance, which Blizzard spent months saying they hated.

For Icecrown Citadel, we are implementing a spell that will affect every enemy creature in the raid. The spell, called Chill of the Throne, will allow creatures to ignore 20% of the dodge chance of their melee targets. So if a raid's main tank had 30% dodge normally, in Icecrown Citadel they will effectively have 10%.

Why are we doing this?

The high levels of tank avoidance players have obtained is making the incoming damage a tank DOES take more "spiky" than is healthy for raiding. Ideally, tanks would be receiving a relatively constant stream of damage over time. This allows healers to better plan their healing strategy, broaden their spell options, and simply give more time to react. Tanks could use their cooldowns more reactively. Instead, the current situation is that if we make a hard hitting melee boss and a tank doesn't avoid two successive swings then the tank could very well be dead in that 1-2 second window. The use of reactive defensive abilities instead becomes a methodically planned affair, healers have to spam their largest heals just in case the huge damage spike happens.

We've been trying to do a fair amount to mitigate the effect of high tank avoidance on the encounter side of things during this expansion with faster melee swings, additional melee strikes, dual wielding, narrowing the normal variance of melee swing damage, and various other tricks. There's a limit to what we can do, however. So to give us a bit of breathing room we’ve implemented Chill of the Throne. Going forward past Icecrown Citadel, we have plans to keep tank avoidance from growing so high again.

We'll have this on the PTR soon so players can see the effects inside Icecrown Raid.

Tamanon

Banned
It just seems to be something they have to implement at the end of every expansion, just because of the huge avoidance issues. If this means they don't have to jack the damage up even more, I'm alright with it.

Especially now that they won't be wasting item budget on defense rating in the expansion. :lol

VaLiancY

PhoenixDark said:
Druid tanks annihilated
Palain tanks shamed
DKs neutralized

Warrior tanks reign supreme /salute

I know Druids biggest niche are being stam whores and dodge happy so I can see how it will effect them. DKs have a little bit more cooldowns but they also parry and dodge for most of the mitigation? I thought Paladins were the cream of the crop when it came to mitigation and aggro. Til this day I don't know what makes Warrior tanks special and I'm not trying to troll either. :lol

Angry Grimace

PhoenixDark said:
Druid tanks annihilated
Palain tanks shamed
DKs neutralized

Warrior tanks reign supreme /salute
Why would Paladin tanks be "shamed?" I can see it turning Druids into ridiculous mana sponges and DKs that cannot use Rune Strike will be fucked in terms of threat, but how does this fuck paladins more than Warriors? Because Pallies have less CDs to blow?

/confused

VaLiancY said:
I know Druids biggest niche are being stam whores and dodge happy so I can see how it will effect them. DKs have a little bit more cooldowns but they also parry and dodge for most of the mitigation? I thought Paladins were the cream of the crop when it came to mitigation and aggro. Til this day I don't know what makes Warrior tanks special and I'm not trying to troll either. :lol

Bears aren't even the stam whores they once were. Warriors? They have a pretty big toolbox and virtually unassailable single target threat; i.e. a true interrupt, they can AoE stun, etc. etc.

border

How is this good for warriors?

It sounds like maybe only druids get fucked by this, doesn't it? They are the ones relying on a lot of dodge aren't they?

Paladins can block just like warriors.....Death Knights will still have their high parry rating.

Angry Grimace said:
Why would Paladin tanks be "shamed?" I can see it turning Druids into ridiculous mana sponges and DKs that cannot use Rune Strike will be fucked in terms of threat, but how does this fuck paladins more than Warriors?

/confused

Defensive CDs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom