• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Funny story, I'm tooling around Stranglethorn Vale on my Paladin alt (lvl 37), and I somehow, manage to get completely stuck in a "hole." i.e. a hole in the ground from which I cannot escape. For some brilliant reason, I really don't want to be ported to Shattrath (where my Hearthstone is set) because I didn't want to have to fly all the way to the middle of Stranglethorn Vale, so I DESTROY THE HEARTHSTONE and press the auto-unstuck button. Which fails to do anything. So I'm sitting there, like a jackass with no hearthstone, stuck in a hole, /1 and /y shouting for help. :lol

Eventually, a guildie signed onto a Warlock alt and got some randoms in Stormwind to click the portals :lol

It just reminds me of when I did something like that when I started the game and managed to "fall off" Teldrassil. Except back then it took 5-10 minutes for a GM response, not 3 hours.
Why in the fuck did you destroy your Hearth?

Kyoufu

Angry Grimace said:
Funny story, I'm tooling around Stranglethorn Vale on my Paladin alt (lvl 37), and I somehow, manage to get completely stuck in a "hole." i.e. a hole in the ground from which I cannot escape. For some brilliant reason, I really don't want to be ported to Shattrath (where my Hearthstone is set) because I didn't want to have to fly all the way to the middle of Stranglethorn Vale, so I DESTROY THE HEARTHSTONE and press the auto-unstuck button. Which fails to do anything. So I'm sitting there, like a jackass with no hearthstone, stuck in a hole, /1 and /y shouting for help. :lol

Eventually, a guildie signed onto a Warlock alt and got some randoms in Stormwind to click the portals :lol

It just reminds me of when I did something like that when I started the game and managed to "fall off" Teldrassil. Except back then it took 5-10 minutes for a GM response, not 3 hours.

I laughed irl :lol

You don't know how many times I've gotten seriously stuck in random holes/gaps in towns/cities due to boredom :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Acid08 said:
Why in the fuck did you destroy your Hearth?
Because pressing Auto-unstuck doesn't do anything other than use the hearthstone unless you are incapable of using it for some reason. I just wanted the game to bump me in position so I could farm some more mobs. :lol

Acid08

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Because pressing Auto-unstuck doesn't do anything other than use the hearthstone unless you are incapable of using it for some reason. I just wanted the game to bump me in position so I could farm some more mobs. :lol
You crazy :lol

In other news I got the Tabard of the Scarlet Crusade yesterday. Everyone in my group wanted to fucking kill me and I have no idea why.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I should clarify how much I hate Shattrath. It's a terrible city design akin to the other major cities. It's too evocative of the old school design ethic that used to be all over WoW. I basically avoid going there unless there's some reason I need to. I don't play on that Paladin much, or I'd change his hearthstone to Dalaran.

Dalaran is a very simplified design when you think about the way it's set up vs. Shattrath, Stormwind, Orgrimmar, etc. It's probably 1/4 the size of Shattrath, but it only takes me 30 sec. to get from any given location to another, even without Flying Mounts. Blizzard actually got the message that, while it's not as technically impressive as those sprawling cities, it's much nicer to have a small centralized hub. Not only that but for the most part, all the shit is organized into logical areas, i.e. all the trainers are in the same places, the Banks are convenient on both sides, etc.

Xabora

I was all
2rfzpkn.jpg
before I scrolled down and saw people in the 2.Xk range. :(

k2yc8g.png

Angry Grimace

I wish I had the gear to support a Frost Spec. Being forced to get 2 weapons rather than one sucks, even if that one weapon is much less competitive.

It makes me sad seeing that parse. I'd like to know what kind of DPS I could pull on Jaraxxus if my recount didn't show 41 Interrupts by me, and 1 interrupt by a Rogue. (It was a PUG and our rogues didn't understand the concept of "kick.")

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
I wish I had the gear to support a Frost Spec. Being forced to get 2 weapons rather than one sucks, even if that one weapon is much less competitive.

It makes me sad seeing that parse. I'd like to know what kind of DPS I could pull on Jaraxxus if my recount didn't show 41 Interrupts by me, and 1 interrupt by a Rogue. (It was a PUG and our rogues didn't understand the concept of "kick.")
Aww man.

We normally have all melee DPS trying to interrupt.
But I tend to wait until 75% of the cast is through before I interrupt on Lord Jaraxxus, due to our overzealous DPS.

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
Aww man.

We normally have all melee DPS trying to interrupt.
But I tend to wait until 75% of the cast is through before I interrupt on Lord Jaraxxus, due to our overzealous DPS.
I don't like having to Interrupt because Rogues are virtually guaranteed to have the 20 energy to perform a kick during the cast due to energy regen, but I'm not guaranteed to have the RP to use a Mind Freeze, unless I reserve some by not throwing Death Coils. Basically, I do up to 1K less DPS than I do every other boss that's just a stand and burn fight for melee, because I have to stop and wait every two runesets before I can use any RP. And the RP loss in general is a pretty big DPS hit since Unholy needs all the Death Coils it can muster.

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
I don't like having to Interrupt because Rogues are virtually guaranteed to have the 20 energy to perform a kick during the cast due to energy regen, but I'm not guaranteed to have the RP to use a Mind Freeze, unless I reserve some by not throwing Death Coils. Basically, I do up to 1K less DPS than I do every other boss that's just a stand and burn fight for melee, because I have to stop and wait every two runesets before I can use any RP. And the RP loss in general is a pretty big DPS hit since Unholy needs all the Death Coils it can muster.
Which Unholy spec are you, 10sec FOTM or Standard?

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
Which Unholy spec are you, 10sec FOTM or Standard?
It's a loaded question, but 10 Sec. isn't FoTM just for kicks. It IS Standard because it's what the live build of the game supports.

"Standard" i.e. 20 sec. Unholy SS Spam rotations are non-viable in Live because Scourge Strike simply doesn't do enough damage to make Epidemic and Reaping worth 5 talent points. I would do a 20 second rotation if it did more DPS, but it doesn't. In 3.3 when Scourge Strike is doing the most damage of any instant ability in the entire game, I'll go back to it.

Macattk15

Angry Grimace said:

Interrupts? Get someone other than a Paladin to tank Jaraxxus and they can interrupt the shit themself. That's what we make our tanks do anyway.

And unless I'm waiting for interrupts ... say on fights like Vezax ... I usually do not have the 20 energy to kick at the exact time something needs to be kicked ... due to me spamming the fuck out of buttons for max dps!

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:
Interrupts? Get someone other than a Paladin to tank Jaraxxus and they can interrupt the shit themself. That's what we make our tanks do anyway.

And unless I'm waiting for interrupts ... say on fights like Vezax ... I usually do not have the 20 energy to kick at the exact time something needs to be kicked ... due to me spamming the fuck out of buttons for max dps!
I believe on that particular run we had 3 Paladin tanks. Even when we use a Warrior from my guild, he simply will not listen to me that Shield Bash can be reliably used.

I was like, "Just use Shield bash," and he goes, "It has a longer cooldown!" (2 sec. longer than Kick or Mind Freeze) to which I responded, "Every interrupt in the game has a cooldown," to which he insisted Shield Bash's 2 sec. was crucial and we would die, even though I'm pretty sure the cooldown on Fel Fireball is reliant on what's used to interrupt it.

The reason Rogues are preferred to DK's in our groups is that the 2 sec. cast means it's a virtual statistical impossibility to be incapable of getting one off. It's not common that I don't have 20 RP, but it has happened before that I've blown all my runes for whatever reason and just got 2 death Coils off in a row, meaning I have less than 20 RP. (in that scenario, I will have to blow my Empower Rune Weapon, which I am required to "save" up if I'm interrupting.)

Tamanon

Banned
Theoretically it's a minimum of 10 seconds between casts. And with a 2.5 second cast time, that's just enough time to shield bash it each time.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
Theoretically it's a minimum of 10 seconds between casts. And with a 2.5 second cast time, that's just enough time to shield bash it each time.
He also doesn't actually cast it right on the 10 sec. dot though. There's a bigger margin for error, at least on Normal.

Tamanon

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
He also doesn't actually cast it right on the 10 sec. dot though. There's a bigger margin for error, at least on Normal.

Oh I completely agree, that's why I said a minimum. It might be cutting it close one or two casts, but it's definitely not impossible for a warrior to solo interrupt.

Then again I've found some warriors just don't have the reaction times to do interrupts, even with big cast times.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
Oh I completely agree, that's why I said a minimum. It might be cutting it close one or two casts, but it's definitely not impossible for a warrior to solo interrupt.

Then again I've found some warriors just don't have the reaction times to do interrupts, even with big cast times.
A DPS warrior could Pummel too, which has the regular 10 sec. cast time and costs 10 rage, which I can't imagine a Warrior having less than, unless they really were overdoing the Heroic Strike spamming.

In any case, Jaraxxus is a weird fight. From the gnome guy that sounds like he's gonna shout "INCONCIEVABLE!!!", the weird chicks that do Zangief Pile Drivers on you, to the fact that Jaraxxus comes out of a fucking Goatse portal.

Tamanon said:

That's how we usually do it. I'm able to get Shield Bash off in time, with 1-2 fuck ups here or there. A lot of times it seems like you're about to get owned as the boss' cast bar starts moving while Shield Bash is still on CD, but it gets the job done pretty damn well.

But I've been on add duty the last couple weeks since our OTs situation isn't great.

explodet

I became a fan of Jaraxxus the first time I saw the encounter in person.

Behold the absolute power of Wilfred Fizzlebang, master summoner! You are bound to ME, demo-
TRIFLING GNOME
YOUR ARROGANCE WILL BE YOUR UNDOING

Everybody could hear me laughing in vent.

Cipherr

explodet said:
I became a fan of Jaraxxus the first time I saw the encounter in person.

Behold the absolute power of Wilfred Fizzlebang, master summoner! You are bound to ME, demo-
TRIFLING GNOME
YOUR ARROGANCE WILL BE YOUR UNDOING

Everybody could hear me laughing in vent.

It was funny indeed. Especially the "TRIFLING GNOME" part. I lol'd. But still nothing has outdone the vent reaction in my guild the day the Uld patch went live and we pulled XT for the first time. Woooooooow everyone cracked up.

Sciz

My experience has been that you can't have too many people paying attention to interrupts on Jaraxxus. My 10-man guild runs with a prot warrior and a rogue and they still miss fireballs on occasion. A /stopcasting, /target, /Wind Shear macro has come in handy.

markot said:
As if a Gnome wouldnt be able to control a summon >_< Probably a Goblin in disguise, or just a short human!
Pff. I blame that whole debacle on the fact that Tirion trusted in some peculiar notion of Gnomish competence.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Argh i want your gear Xabora :lol

I haven't really messed around with my DK all that much really. I thought about turning it into a tank but i'm not confident in it at all.

Tamanon

Banned
After running toC25 with an actual raid group I'm in, decided to pug up ToC 10 before the reset tomorrow. Only 2 people knew each other, we died multiple times on the worms, at least once because i completely misunderstood which is the slime pool you never go near and which is the bile being spread. That's what I get for not being poisoned in 25-man and only reading up on the fight, never watching it.

After a few tries we knocked down the beasts then two-shot jaxx. then proceeded to wipe multiple times on Faction champs since we were low on CC and we had priests who didn't understand how to mass dispel bubbles and bloodlust away.

But hey, got some badges, one more heroic daily to 2-piece tier 9 and moonfire tick crits!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Tamanon said:
After running toC25 with an actual raid group I'm in, decided to pug up ToC 10 before the reset tomorrow. Only 2 people knew each other, we died multiple times on the worms, at least once because i completely misunderstood which is the slime pool you never go near and which is the bile being spread. That's what I get for not being poisoned in 25-man and only reading up on the fight, never watching it.

After a few tries we knocked down the beasts then two-shot jaxx. then proceeded to wipe multiple times on Faction champs since we were low on CC and we had priests who didn't understand how to mass dispel bubbles and bloodlust away.

But hey, got some badges, one more heroic daily to 2-piece tier 9 and moonfire tick crits!

Sounds like my night. Two tries before the priest could find his mass dispel button.

thatbox

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I should clarify how much I hate Shattrath. It's a terrible city design akin to the other major cities. It's too evocative of the old school design ethic that used to be all over WoW. I basically avoid going there unless there's some reason I need to. I don't play on that Paladin much, or I'd change his hearthstone to Dalaran.

Dalaran is a very simplified design when you think about the way it's set up vs. Shattrath, Stormwind, Orgrimmar, etc. It's probably 1/4 the size of Shattrath, but it only takes me 30 sec. to get from any given location to another, even without Flying Mounts. Blizzard actually got the message that, while it's not as technically impressive as those sprawling cities, it's much nicer to have a small centralized hub. Not only that but for the most part, all the shit is organized into logical areas, i.e. all the trainers are in the same places, the Banks are convenient on both sides, etc.
NO

DALARAN IS HORRIBLE

Edit:
LAUGHTREY said:
Sounds like my night. Two tries before the priest could find his mass dispel button.
If you're wiping on ToC 10 Faction Champions it's not because your priest couldn't Mass Dispel Bloodlust fast enough, it's because you were failing at crowd control.

Angry Grimace

Orbitcube said:
Hell, it's possible to pull ~6k in heroic-ish (some raiding, most 200-219 though) gear. I'd expect people to do at least 7.5k if not 8k minimum in T9. Mind you, depends on the class.
I'd like to see this guy pulling 6K in 200-219 gear.

LAUGHTREY said:

I get mad when I see someone at 6k :p

I think that was either Jaraxxus or Anub.

I got a nice laugh out of the fact you have a warrior named "Spellpower"

Tamanon

Banned
Maybe the 6k in heroic is talking about the jousting battle in HToC:lol

And the bloodlust wasn't the biggest problem, it was just indicative of the issue. The only problem holding us back was the Paladin's bubble not getting dispelled. We were able to CC the druid enough to kill the pally if someone would just crack that dang bubble.

C'est la vie, was a pug, so at least I got a piece of gear and 6 badges.

zam

Guild finally got tired of not enough people signing for raids and random people failing and not being able to recruit new players on our shitty old server (Shattered Halls EU, the only other guild than ours that cleared uld 25 had to extend the lockout twice and do it in ilvl 245 gear) so we transferred to Ragnaros EU.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
Maybe the 6k in heroic is talking about the jousting battle in HToC:lol

And the bloodlust wasn't the biggest problem, it was just indicative of the issue. The only problem holding us back was the Paladin's bubble not getting dispelled. We were able to CC the druid enough to kill the pally if someone would just crack that dang bubble.

C'est la vie, was a pug, so at least I got a piece of gear and 6 badges.
My guild is only really a 10 man guild, but we pug 25 every week up to Anub'arak without any real problems. Every time, people start hitting eject right around Anub'arak, for whatever reason.

I think he meant "6K in heroic GEAR" not in the actual heroic. :lol Even then, he either meant, like 3K, because nobody does 6K in heroic gear. 6K wasn't even a realistic number to shoot for until Ulduar 25 came out and you were decked out in full 226s + some 239 HM stuff, and if you looked at the top guild's parses from back then, you could see that they weren't doing those kinds of numbers.

Angry Grimace

You know, here's an interesting debate that I've seen being brought up about a lot recently; there's this debate among some players in the "big" guilds on the "ethics" of those Tribute to Insanity/Immortality achievements, since even the best guilds cannot get them regularly due to D/Cs, one bad death, etc.

I've been told by a friend who plays a priest in a World top 25 guild that these achievements, such as "Tribute to Insanity" are baseline non-fun, stressful nonsense that are virtually impossible to do with regularity and severely punish you (and your entire guild) for an entire week's lockout for fucking up even once; i.e. your entire week is fucked if your healer D/C's during Anub'arak, etc. and that the Immortality level achievements are similarly shitty to attempt because one guy dies and he ruined 24 other guys achievements and set his whole guild back.

I think I can sort of see how that would be shitty if you were competing for a world rank and that was the only way to raise your rank was getting that achievement.

mcrae

mcrae said:
hey guys maybe someone here can help me out. i want to customize my bars more - back in the vanilla days i had my warlock set up so that a big shadowbolt button would appear when nightfall was procced, and a big drain life button would appear when the target was below 25%, and some other things... any suggestions?

hey i'm just going to bump this, wouldn't mind if someone just told me it doesnt exist

Angry Grimace

mcrae said:
hey i'm just going to bump this, wouldn't mind if someone just told me it doesnt exist
It's not that we don't want to help, we just don't know. I checked the Warlock forum on EJ and didn't see any UI posts, so I have no idea. Sorry =(

I don't Frost anymore on my DK which is the only really proc based class DKs have, but I got away with just using the heads up pop-ups in MSBT (for KM procs, i.e. "Use Frost Strike, doofus").

Got a Darkmoon Card: Greatness on the DK; you know, it probably would have helped a lot more 2 raid tiers ago, but it's still the best trinket I have :lol

Tamanon

Banned
mcrae said:

If you're talking about a popping up a large button to push, that functionality was removed from the game a long time ago, if you're just talking about putting up the symbol and you pushing the original hotkey, than anything like PowerAuras should suffice.

VaLiancY

Xab's DK makes me want to take my own DK more seriously but when I log on and see the badly geared DKs pumping out 1.5k, it just makes go back to my main.:lol

markot

Banned
Entropia said:
God dammit Markot. -_-

Also, I'm concerned that the Shaman tier set hasn't been shown yet... :<
Probably look as bad as the others!

Pally looks like he has a broken neck, and warlock looks like... just bad!

Tamanon

Banned
VaLiancY said:
Xab's DK makes me want to take my own DK more seriously but when I log on and see the badly geared DKs pumping out 1.5k, it just makes go back to my main.:lol

Ironically, for Deathknights who actually want to gear up to effectively raid, 3.3 might be the best possible thing for them. As of now, there are hordes of DKs sitting in the LFG channel not getting picked because the balance is just too off, at least they'll finally be able to get groups by just signing up as DPS and nobody seeing what class they are until the instance starts.

Or just learn to tank and you can gear up that way much faster.:lol

border

Is there a good compendium of starter-level DK tanking gear? Preferably quest rewards and Auction House-type items. I'm at 74 with my DK, and really not looking forward to trying to gear up as a tank or DPS.

Tamanon

Banned
I never could find anything that didn't involve heroics/emblems for my DK tank set. Just aim for 525 defense off your armor and you should be good for heroics, your Stoneskin Gargoyle enchant will provide the rest.

VaLiancY

Tamanon said:
Or just learn to tank and you can gear up that way much faster.:lol

See I thought the same thing. I'm going to tank, get some emblems and gear up my DPS and Tank loot. I sit in a group with Paladins, Druids and Shamans while we wait for a healer and when we do finish the instance - they all pass on their respective healing gear. :lol Not complaining but I just find it funny.

Still better than my gear, Xab. UH isn't working for me, I might farm some more shit for my Greatness, try it again if that fails I'm going back to Blood.

http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Destromath&name=Sarcophagi

Angry Grimace

I don't know man. By this point, most of the really bad Death Knight rollers have been left behind.

I don't know what the "great" guilds are doing, but in Unholy I usually pull around 5.5K-6K on a single target (10 man gear only except for a belt), and my "gearscore" is around ~4700 now. I checked the parses for some of the really big guilds and they can get up in the 6-7 range a lot. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it "wrong."

If there's some secret trick beyond gear itself to get past 6K consistently, then I don't know what it is. Because at this point I never seem to get "beat" by anyone in similar gear that's not a really skilled mage.

I roll my Death Knight as my main and I never have any problems getting a group or anything like that. Possibly it has something to do with "gearscore," but people don't seem to question what I'm doing too often anymore. (Ironically, my gearscore just went down, since I replaced that Battlemaster's Trinket with 190 AP with Darkmoon Card: Greatness :lol)

VaLiancY said:
See I thought the same thing. I'm going to tank, get some emblems and gear up my DPS and Tank loot. I sit in a group with Paladins, Druids and Shamans while we wait for a healer and when we do finish the instance - they all pass on their respective healing gear. :lol Not complaining but I just find it funny.

Still better than my gear, Xab. UH isn't working for me, I might farm some more shit for my Greatness, try it again if that fails I'm going back to Blood.

http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Destromath&name=Sarcophagi

I bought my Greatness last night off some kid that was selling it for 3K. Seemed like a decent enough deal considering my luck with trinkets. If a torrent of trinkets drops, it will still be worth it because they wouldn't have dropped if I hadn't blown 3000 gold on a Darkmoon card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom