• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FLEABttn said:
We recruited a mage because she was a friend of a friend. She did 1.5k on Ony. She had 70 points in fire and one in arcane, refused to get on vent, and zoned in after we cleared the trash because she was too busy leveling dagger skill outside.

We kicked her that night, to her surprise. She had no idea why we'd want to kick her.
I guess what I'm wondering is, why the 1 pt. in Arcane?

traveler

Not Wario
The need for a new Lich King doesn't really make sense to me at all. Why not just kill off all the Scourge? And if some must survive, why don't they just end up like the turned Dks or Forsaken? Lastly, I can't see this being a compromise made to justify the remaining quests around the world- they've never really cared about that (You can still kill the Illidari after Illidan is dead, after all) and it doesn't make any sense to, as it simply half-asses one side or the other. I really hope this isn't some excuse to do yet another "was just a setback" somewhere down the road or to setup a new big bad in the form of yet another turned good guy.

thatbox

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I've never really known LoH to be used on the tank.
Over 90% of my PVE LoHs are on tanks. Paladins are tank healers; do you think we burn our long cooldown oh-shit button on dumbass DPS?
The problem is, it's an emergency heal, but a Holy Paladin has a lot of other heals already.
If by "a lot of other heals" you mean three, sure - none of which are useful in a situation where LoH is required. Have you ever healed on a paladin before? This change is ruining LoH for PVE Holy even more than the obscene cooldown was doing on its own, especially if your guild's MT is a paladin (as mine is).

Angry Grimace said:
I guess what I'm wondering is, why the 1 pt. in Arcane?

she probably did it on accident and didn't even realize it. When I played with a guy he had accidentally put some points in shadow when he was trying to make a holy priest.

Or she doesn't understand talent builds. Having 70 points in Fire would suggest that.

Xabora

traveler said:
The need for a new Lich King doesn't really make sense to me at all. Why not just kill off all the Scourge? And if some must survive, why don't they just end up like the turned Dks or Forsaken? Lastly, I can't see this being a compromise made to justify the remaining quests around the world- they've never really cared about that (You can still kill the Illidari after Illidan is dead, after all) and it doesn't make any sense to, as it simply half-asses one side or the other. I really hope this isn't some excuse to do yet another "was just a setback" somewhere down the road or to setup a new big bad in the form of yet another turned good guy.
IC_Valanar_Empower01 - Naxxanar was merely a setback! With the power of the orb, Valanar will have his vengeance!

But yeah, they said the undead would go berserk and rape the land and both sides if they were not playing guard duty in Northrend.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
thatbox said:
Over 90% of my PVE LoHs are on tanks. Paladins are tank healers; do you think we burn our long cooldown oh-shit button on dumbass DPS?

If by "a lot of other heals" you mean three, sure - none of which are useful in a situation where LoH is required. Have you ever healed on a paladin before? This change is ruining LoH for PVE Holy even more than the obscene cooldown was doing on its own, especially if your guild's MT is a paladin (as mine is).
I've never known my Paladin healers to do it, but that doesn't mean nobody does it. In any case, nerfs happen. It shouldn't really be THAT big of a deal in any case. LoH was already on such a long CD you couldn't use it in more than every 2 fights.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
traveler said:

I get why someone has to keep control of them. It's become too powerful to be simply wiped out at this point.

I don't understand however why someone doesn't just take control of the scourge they'd obviously be in control and not be evil or we'd just have the same problem again. Couldn't they just take the scourge to another planet? Dump the rabid scourge onto the Burning Legions homeland for instance?

I wonder what's going to happen to the cult of the damned also.

Angry Grimace

LAUGHTREY said:
I get why someone has to keep control of them. It's become too powerful to be simply wiped out at this point.

I don't understand however why someone doesn't just take control of the scourge they'd obviously be in control and not be evil or we'd just have the same problem again. Couldn't they just take the scourge to another planet? Dump the rabid scourge onto the Burning Legions homeland for instance?

I wonder what's going to happen to the cult of the damned also.
This patch looks like the most epic patch in the history of WoW Lore, but I'm gonna be truly pissed if it turns out either a) Arthas doens't die, or b) Arthas was actually good all along (lol) and merged with the Lich King because he thought he could control the Scourge and "protect Azeroth" by restraining the Scourge's might. THAT would piss me off.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't think Arthas had much of a free will once he touched Frostmourne. He definitely didn't want to kill his own father.

He had good intentions all along, just did some bad things. If he and Ner'zhul merged then all the good that came with Arthas makes sense to be there as well as the twisted soul of NZ.

Entropia

No One Remembers
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20677775733&sid=1

Blizzard said:
Today we’re pleased to introduce the Pet Store for World of Warcraft, a new way for players to obtain in-game pets to join them on their adventures in Azeroth. Two brand-new companions are now available for purchase exclusively at the Pet Store in the online Blizzard Store: Lil’ K.T. and the Pandaren Monk.

Make a Difference: Pandaren Monk Charity Pet

Enter the Pandaren Monk, ( http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000763 ) a martial-arts expert who’s here to help celebrate the upcoming fifth anniversary of World of Warcraft. He may be cute, but he’s proof that even the softest of critters can overcome the hardest of circumstances. For every Pandaren Monk that finds its way to a player’s side between now and the end of the year (December 31, 2009 at 11:59 PDT), we’ll donate 50 percent of the $10 purchasing price to the Make-a-Wish Foundation in an effort to brew up a little hope, strength, and joy in a child’s life.

Lil’ K.T., the Littlest Lich

Lil’ K.T. is a miniature lich who bears a striking resemblance to the legendary lord of Naxxramas, Kel’Thuzad. But don’t let his diminutive stature fool you: Lil’ K.T. has a diabolical laugh and wields true power at his bony fingertips, randomly wreaking icy havoc on critters who dare to cross his path. You can now buy this new pet for $10 on the Blizzard Store. (http://us.blizzard.com/store/ )

In order to receive a purchased pet, you’ll need to merge your World of Warcraft account with a Battle.net account. For more information on Battle.net, please visit the FAQ. ( https://us.battle.net/faq/index.html ) For more information on the new Pet Store, visit the Pet Store FAQ. ( http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=29845 )

Lil' KT and Pandaren Monk, BOUGHT!

Entropia

No One Remembers
The Lil KT is a cashgrab no doubt. The Panda Monk with the charitable angle is alright. If both went towards a charity then that'd be cool as well.

As long as they don't start selling like "ilvl 272 T10 for $20!!!"

Angry Grimace

Entropia said:
The Lil KT is a cashgrab no doubt. The Panda Monk with the charitable angle is alright. If both went towards a charity then that'd be cool as well.

As long as they don't start selling like "ilvl 272 T10 for $20!!!"
People would stop playing if they did that.

Retro

Angry Grimace said:
It begins.

In-game shit for real money.

/sigh

Yeah, the Micro-transactions have been coming for a while. Though I dunno that I would call $10 'micro', considering it's a dinky little pet. I can hop on X-box live and pay the same for multi-hour games, so... anyone else think the price point is a bit too high?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Freyjadour said:
Nope. You get a one time use code.

Incorrect.

Blizzard FAQ said:
What characters will receive the Pet Store pet that I purchase?

Once you redeem your code on an individual World of Warcraft account, every character on the account will receive the pet in their in-game mailbox (including any characters you create in the future). If you wish to purchase the pet for multiple different World of Warcraft accounts merged with the same Battle.net account, you will need to buy a separate pet for each World of Warcraft account individually.

**Please Note** If a character transfers off of the account where the pet is bound the pet will be lost.**

Xabora

Freyjadour said:
Nope. You get a one time use code.
eet7m.jpg

My Retired mage says differently.

1up

Angry Grimace said:
It begins.

In-game shit for real money.

/sigh

At least it's not like 5000g or something.

....I'll probably get that little Lich =O

Someone make a new thread about this on the main forum. I guarantee 100 pages and screams of ACTIVISION!!!!!!! :lol

Tamanon

Banned
This is just Blizzard's way of getting in that market where people are selling the loot cards from the CCG for real money. No biggie.

Angry Grimace

I wasn't complaining :eek:

I'm deciding between Pandaren Monk and KT now.

Leanin't towards Lil KT, though. I mean, it shoots frostbolts at critters.

Edit:

"What Lil' K.T. lacks in size, he more than makes up for in sheer malicious intensity. Watch with misplaced pride as he freezes critters and laughs maniacally at your vanquished PvP foes."

Decision made.

Acid08

Banned
So guys what are the best WoW related podcasts out there? I just went through the entire Legendary Thread backlog and since they don't make those anymore I'm looking for something new.

border

The Instance is a great podcast for general news and rumors. Just remember to stop listening after the hosts sign off and it suddenly becomes nothing but user-submitted segments. Those are absolutely atrocious.

Blue Plz! is not a bad podcast if you just want to hear people complain about random shit. The host is essentially the Rush Limbaugh of Warcraft podcasting.....a total blowhard who is as infuriating as he is entertaining.

Beyond that, the best podcasts have long since faded away -- Taverncast was great. WoWCast is too, but the girl that does it probably isn't producing more than 4 episodes per year now. World of Warcast is also on an extremely infrequent schedule, but generally not bad when they decide to make an episode.

Acid08 said:
So guys what are the best WoW related podcasts out there? I just went through the entire Legendary Thread backlog and since they don't make those anymore I'm looking for something new.

My favorites

The Instance
http://www.myextralife.com/wow/ - http://myextralife.com/ftp/radio/instance_rss.xml

Rawrcast
http://www.rawrcast.com/ - http://feeds2.feedburner.com/therawrcastshow

WoW Insider Show
http://www.wow.com/ - http://www.wow.com/category/wow-insider-show/rss.xml

But wait! There's Lore!
http://wcradio.com/shows/64-But-Wait-There-s-Lore- - http://wcradio.com/shows/64-But-Wait-There-s-Lore-.rss

2 with more of a Hunter focus

http://outdps.com/ - http://feeds.feedburner.com/HuntingPartyPodcastOutdps

http://www.brigwyn.com/ - http://www.brigwyn.com/feed/

Some other I might not listen to
http://www.azerothunited.com/podcast-unity/

Acid08

Banned
Thanks guys I'll check out The Instance first. What did you all think of Legendary Thread? Personally I loved it but that might just be because I loved hearing the old 1up personalities together.

Hearing Luke, Jeff, Ryan, and Karen was probably the best part about Legendary Thread. Sometimes they wouldn't play the game and were out of the loop.

border

Acid08 said:
Thanks guys I'll check out The Instance first. What did you all think of Legendary Thread? Personally I loved it but that might just be because I loved hearing the old 1up personalities together.
Legendary Thread was ok, I guess. It suffered pretty heavily having some of 1Up's most low-watt personalities.....plus half the time it seemed like nobody was even playing WoW. It was okay when they had press-level access to Blizzard and its employees, but beyond that it dragged a good deal.

traveler said:

It's like comics circa '96 since 3.0. They're just ass-pulling everything.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
markot said:
The alliance dragonblight quests, from fordragon hold to wrathgate, are imo ze best part of the game.

I'm a huge fan of the horde side, myself, but that is definitely my bias showing. There is something about members of the horde holding onto their honor that I love.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Is there anything I can do to get around groups that require achievement links? I'm finding it more and more difficult to find groups as I get to the "harder" content. I joined a group for Heroic Oculus earlier as a tank, and I was kicked because I had never completed the instance. I eventually join a different group and we cleared the instance without much trouble. I've raided in EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, etc. I'm sure that makes a difference, but these encounters are not challenging so far, the biggest challenge is trying to find a damn group that will give me a chance to tank.

markot

Banned
Alfarif said:
I'm a huge fan of the horde side, myself, but that is definitely my bias showing. There is something about members of the horde holding onto their honor that I love.
I hate horde >_<

Tamanon

Banned
Iadien said:
Is there anything I can do to get around groups that require achievement links? I'm finding it more and more difficult to find groups as I get to the "harder" content. I joined a group for Heroic Oculus earlier as a tank, and I was kicked because I had never completed the instance. I eventually join a different group and we cleared the instance without much trouble. I've raided in EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, etc. I'm sure that makes a difference, but these encounters are not challenging so far, the biggest challenge is trying to find a damn group that will give me a chance to tank.

Holy god! Usually you have to BEG people to join a Heroic Oculus group. I've never run into that achievement problem myself. My theory is that if you're in a heroic group that requires the achievement already, that's not a group you want to be in.

Plus it makes no sense, I mean I know all the heroics like the back of my hand, so much that I was actually surprised that my Death Knight got the Halls of Lightning achievement since I've been in there a bajillion times, just on different characters. I can only see it really making sense for the very endgame stuff.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Tamanon said:
Holy god! Usually you have to BEG people to join a Heroic Oculus group. I've never run into that achievement problem myself. My theory is that if you're in a heroic group that requires the achievement already, that's not a group you want to be in.

Plus it makes no sense, I mean I know all the heroics like the back of my hand, so much that I was actually surprised that my Death Knight got the Halls of Lightning achievement since I've been in there a bajillion times, just on different characters. I can only see it really making sense for the very endgame stuff.

Why? Oculus is not difficult. I have read chat before and people were talking about how hard it is. WTF is hard about it? Flying around and shooting shit on dragons? lol

Alfarif

Iadien said:
Why? Oculus is not difficult. I have read chat before and people were talking about how hard it is. WTF is hard about it? Flying around and shooting shit on dragons? lol

This is what I like to call people who can't think in more than 2D space. Occulus is one of the most fun instances in the game, but people act as if it's the hardest damn experience in the world because they can't stand in one place and mash a button, or, heaven forbid, actually have to move around and see where their positioning is on the last boss to avoid the bubbles (not even hard).

There's other instances that people act like this with... it's pretty sad.

Tamanon

Banned
Iadien said:

I never said it was hard. Nobody wants to run it because it's a bit longer and different, that's all.

Alfarif

Iadien said:

Come to Runetotem, move to Horde side if you aren't already, and I will be your pocket healer. Finding a group to run anything that isn't the daily heroic, VoA, ToC, etc is hard as all hell. If you're not in a raid, you're nothing. But how the hell am I supposed to gear up for anything if no one wants to run anything?

I also think it's hilarious when I get kicked from groups because I haven't completed an instance, such as HoL or HoS... except... no one wants to do any instances post-77 thanks to the Argent Tourney and the "rush to 80." Pretty damn annoying. At one point, just so my wife could complete some quests in Gundrak, I had to assemble a 5 man of DPS with me healing. We destroyed it, but when it comes down to that just so get later instances done, something is broken.

Alfarif

markot said:
I hate horde >_<

You dirty rat. Haha!

I've always been a fan of horde... well, since WC3. Fell in love with Thrall and Grom Hellscream, and I've been a fan of their ilk ever since. Alliance side, I do like Jaina, however, since she can think straight, but half of the other folks are way too uppity for me. I do, however, like Illidan, but everyone else rubs me the wrong way.

From a strictly game perspective, I feel like the horde seems as if they would actually kick ass. Alliance just doesn't scream bad ass to me. A tauren decked out in some awesome warrior gear looks so awesome. A blood elf in some mage or priest gear screams ass kicking attitude to me. The only thing that alliance has are the Worgen (when they're available), and the female draenei... cause the males look dumpy as all hell.

Alfarif said:
Come to Runetotem, move to Horde side if you aren't already, and I will be your pocket healer. Finding a group to run anything that isn't the daily heroic, VoA, ToC, etc is hard as all hell. If you're not in a raid, you're nothing. But how the hell am I supposed to gear up for anything if no one wants to run anything?

I also think it's hilarious when I get kicked from groups because I haven't completed an instance, such as HoL or HoS... except... no one wants to do any instances post-77 thanks to the Argent Tourney and the "rush to 80." Pretty damn annoying. At one point, just so my wife could complete some quests in Gundrak, I had to assemble a 5 man of DPS with me healing. We destroyed it, but when it comes down to that just so get later instances done, something is broken.

Yah, my mage is getting this shit, when Im never lower than 3rd, never below 4k, but "THAT ONE BLUE TRINKET OMG WTF AND IS THAT 2PC T7?!?! NOOBZLAWLZ." "OH GOOD SCORE DISCO PREIST!!!111 *said priest does maybe 13 shields the entire run with people dying like bitches* Pfeh.

We guild are going to have to start our own alt&pug raids like back on Bloodscalp and Alterac. Skullcrusher is bad about gearscore snobbery and achievement wanting.

Alfarif

SatelliteOfLove said:
Yah, my mage is getting this shit, when Im never lower than 3rd, never below 4k, but "THAT ONE BLUE TRINKET OMG WTF AND IS THAT 2PC T7?!?! NOOBZLAWLZ." "OH GOOD SCORE DISCO PREIST!!!111 *said priest does maybe 13 shields the entire run with people dying like bitches* Pfeh.

We guild are going to have to start our own alt&pug raids like back on Bloodscalp and Alterac. Skullcrusher is bad about gearscore snobbery and achievement wanting.

I've played this game off and on since the beta right before release. My first six months with my NE hunter were awesome. Coming from Asheron's Call 1 and 2, UO, EQ, was eye opening.

I've quit three times since then and come back about 8 months later each time. Each time, the game gets progressively like your first paragraph. There was a point where I had a TON of people to chat with outside of my guild. Friendly folks who remembered who you were and wanted to do things even if it didn't outright benefit them. Now, however, it's as if people don't even want to treat anyone who isn't in their guild (or maybe they do this to their guildmates as well) as anything more than a bunch of numbers. It's so bad now that I can run an instance with someone and /w them an hour later to ask if they want to do another instance run I'm putting together and they go "Who are you?"

I haven't been gearscored yet, and people can jump off a bridge if they think my gear will even remotely equate to my skill level or vice versa, but the achievement comparing does piss me off.

markot said:
Well I started on WC1/2.

Back when horde werent pussys, and Jaina didnt exist >.<

Hey! You watch your mouth! We never turned into pussies. We became honorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom