• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

VaLiancY said:
WoW's Art team must be donating time to the other games Blizzard has cooking up, the lack of imagination is starting to show. The only dress that looked good on a Paladin was the Judgement set.

It's probably sad to think/feel this way, but honestly their seemingly total lack of effort in the weapons and armor has been actually fueling my lack of desire to play this anymore. In the past four or so weeks, I logged in two times iirc. I thought for sure that they'd pull out some better looking stuff for icecrown after the joke that was ToC, but I was wrong.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
It's probably sad to think/feel this way, but honestly their seemingly total lack of effort in the weapons and armor has been actually fueling my lack of desire to play this anymore. In the past four or so weeks, I logged in two times iirc. I thought for sure that they'd pull out some better looking stuff for icecrown after the joke that was ToC, but I was wrong.
And here I thought it would be the dance studio that was the bane of your existence

border

If you aren't logging in more than twice a month, I doubt you were ever going to get ahold of these items you are disappointed with the design of. If your guild is Icecrown-capable, chances are they aren't in the business of handing raid slots or gear to people that barely play or contribute.

I can't imagine someone whose motivation is so utterly superficial enjoying the hard endgame stuff anyway, though. It seems like it'd be way too much work if your only goal is to look cool standing around Dalaran.

Tamanon

Banned
It's one reason I kinda like being a Druid.:lol

Although I actually like my Tier 9 shoulders even if they seem to have pouches on them.

I mean, look how awesome my character Galenos looks!

http://www.axiomfiles.com/Files/49830/TwinsToC10.jpg

2lj3x2f.jpg

Retro

border said:
If you aren't logging in more than twice a month, I doubt you were ever going to get ahold of these items you are disappointed with the design of. I can't imagine someone whose motivation is so superficial really enjoying the hard endgame stuff anyway, though.

Eh. Whether they want to admit it or not, players feel a bond with their characters on some level. Since most players are limited to only a few face/hair options and whatever cool names they can manage to grab before somebody else squats on them, gear is pretty much the most visible and readily changeable form of customization.

Most people want to have a cool character, and that means looking the part.

border

I think there is nothing wrong with wanting to have a cool looking character. What is more mind-boggling is that someone might stop playing entirely just because Tier 10 doesn't look amazing. If some mediocre set-pieces are really such a dealbreaker, then you probably weren't playing for the right reasons in the first place.

But fuck it -- this is WoW. People threaten to quit the game over spell cooldowns and non-combat pets (but never actually do). I suppose it only make sense that they threaten to quit over armor (but never actually will).

J-Rzez

border said:
If you aren't logging in more than twice a month, I doubt you were ever going to get ahold of these items you are disappointed with the design of. If your guild is Icecrown-capable, chances are they aren't in the business of handing raid slots or gear to people that barely play or contribute.

I can't imagine someone whose motivation is so utterly superficial enjoying the hard endgame stuff anyway, though. It seems like it'd be way too much work if your only goal is to look cool standing around Dalaran.

Wrong. I'm pretty much geared out. We've went through ToC more than enough times. We're fed up with it. BTW, I'm one of the two main tanks in the guild, so my spot is secure. I haven't missed a raid my whole time with this guild until now, just like the others not showing up. We're all in the same boat.

I don't hang around in Dal. I just enjoy my guy looking cool and performing well at the same time. You kill the bosses, clear a raid, then it's all around gear for your main, and then your alts, while pissing around talking to your friends. But when there's absolutely nothing worth doing, that's when things get boring. ToC was a "terribad" effort on Blizz.

Angry Grimace said:
And here I thought it would be the dance studio that was the bane of your existence

*shakes fist at blizzard.

border

J-Rzez said:
Wrong. I'm pretty much geared out. We've went through ToC more than enough times. We're fed up with it. BTW, I'm one of the two main tanks in the guild, so my spot is secure. I haven't missed a raid my whole time with this guild until now, just like the others not showing up. We're all in the same boat.

So if/when Icecrown comes out and they want to know why you won't tank for them, are you really going to say -- "Oh, I don't think Tier 10 looks good enough!"? The warrior/DK/druid sets don't even look that bad. And paladins should be used to fugly armor by now :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oni Link 666 said:
OMG I want a frostwyrm mount!! I see different colors. Maybe you can get one by grinding some rep?
Probably Ashen Verdict rep.

I don't like the Armor, it looks retarded vs. the Gladiator's Frostwyrms. I'll still buy one if I can.

Oh, and the "LAY ON HANDS PVE NERF!!!" can be laid to rest:

"Sanctified Light: This talent now also has a 33/66/100% chance to prevent Lay on Hands from causing Forbearance when Lay on Hands is used on others."

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Oni Link 666 said:
OMG I want a frostwyrm mount!! I see different colors. Maybe you can get one by grinding some rep?

Haha, you wish. That's probably the Glory of the Icecrown raider mount.

Tamanon

Banned
Huh, you no longer have to clear Naxx in 3.3 to fight Sapphiron/KT finally.

Welp, said goodbye to Herbalism on my Moonkin. Now he's an Enchanter to go with the inscription. Just didn't herb enough to be worth it and have it on my 80 shammy. Plus, this is my raiding character so it brought nothing to the table. Only cost about 1.5k and I'm up to 415 now, so not bad at all.

explodet

Tamanon said:
I was wondering when they'd get around to that. Good move if you ask me, too many retards who forgot how to do the Safety Dance or move to the right pos/neg position on Thaddius mean running Naxx was more of an ordeal than usual. Not to mention the two priests needed for Raz.

I'm happy to see Saph and KT get backdoored too. With all the badge gear you can get now the only reason to go into Naxx is to get those level 226 weapons like Betrayer of Humanity and Envoy of Mortality.

yacobod

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:
I'm happy to see Saph and KT get backdoored too. With all the badge gear you can get now the only reason to go into Naxx is to get those level 226 weapons like Betrayer of Humanity and Envoy of Mortality.

and honestly there is not much incentive to grab those when you can get better or equivalent items out of 5m heroic toc, and the new icecrown 5 mans will have better weapons yet

Bisnic said:
Since when do you get different colors for a mount coming from 1 achievement?

Ulduar had Glory of the Ulduar raider 10 and 25 (rusted and iron-bound proto-drakes). Icecrown has Glory of the Icecrown raider 10 and 25.

Angry Grimace

LAUGHTREY said:
Haha, you wish. That's probably the Glory of the Icecrown raider mount.
Ah, yeah that makes sense. Proto-Drakes are yesterdays news.

Angry Grimace

explodet said:
I was wondering when they'd get around to that. Good move if you ask me, too many retards who forgot how to do the Safety Dance or move to the right pos/neg position on Thaddius mean running Naxx was more of an ordeal than usual. Not to mention the two priests needed for Raz.
Everyone always managed to forget you could simply have your regular healing priests equip Glyph of Mind Control, and avoid having to get Shadow Priests, which are comparatively rare, you know, "Reduces the chance targets will resist or break your Mind Control spell by an additional 17%."

CassSept

Tamanon said:
They did it before with SSC/TK in 2.4, so it was kinda expected.
PS. Finally Spinebreaker dropped for us from 10-man tribute chest.... now only to replace that goddamn Grim Toll and I will be so damn happy :)

PS. New drakes are awesome, probably Glory to the Icecrown Raider rewards. Can't wait to get them :D

Angry Grimace

Change:
Item - Shadowmourne Legendary Effect
Instant

Your weapon swings have a chance to drain a Soul Fragment from their undead, demon, and elemental victims. When you have acquired 10 Soul Fragments you will unleash the Souls of the Damned, dealing 6840 to 7560 shadow damage split between all undead, demons, and elementals within 8 yards.

Change: Used to effect all targets. Now only effects undead, demon and elementals. This sounds about 100x less useful than Valanyr's legendary proc effect.

VaLiancY said:
WoW's Art team must be donating time to the other games Blizzard has cooking up, the lack of imagination is starting to show. The only dress that looked good on a Paladin was the Judgement set.

Blizzard has other games? I'm pretty sure the last time they released something that wasn't World of Warcraft related was the Frozen Throne. Which was 6 years ago IIRC.

I wonder if they're also planning on making Saph one of the raid weekly bosses? Gives them a bigger pool to draw from if they can use the first boss in each "wing" of Naxx.

Angry Grimace said:
Blizzard has other games? I'm pretty sure the last time they released something that wasn't World of Warcraft related was the Frozen Throne. Which was 6 years ago IIRC.

They've got a lot of stuff in development though, which I think is what he was referring to.

Either way, I tend to disagree. The art team on WoW isn't demonstrating a lack of imagination imo, they're demonstrating that they understand the importance of a pervasive and consistent approach to the art in the game. Northrend is a fantastic example, as it feels like a continent rather than a series of jarringly distinct zones separated by mountain passes.

The new tier sets are a logical progression artistically. Where the ToC sets were the product of champions of The Light, these are the product of their fallen champions.

Angry Grimace

jim-jam bongs said:
I wonder if they're also planning on making Saph one of the raid weekly bosses? Gives them a bigger pool to draw from if they can use the first boss in each "wing" of Naxx.

They've got a lot of stuff in development though, which I think is what he was referring to.

Either way, I tend to disagree. The art team on WoW isn't demonstrating a lack of imagination imo, they're demonstrating that they understand the importance of a pervasive and consistent approach to the art in the game. Northrend is a fantastic example, as it feels like a continent rather than a series of jarringly distinct zones separated by mountain passes.

The new tier sets are a logical progression artistically. Where the ToC sets were the product of champions of The Light, these are the product of their fallen champions.
Sapphiron is a joke at this point, and even those 226 weapons are subpar by now. Since DPS is so high vs. when Naxx was released, Sapphiron will die well before priests spamming the shit out of AoE heals and Shields ran out of mana.

Also, the fact that a lot of gear sets don't look jarringly different from previous sets is because you don't want to end up with the clown-gear effect where you have a red helm, green shoulders, and blue pants.

Cipherr

yacobod said:
and honestly there is not much incentive to grab those when you can get better or equivalent items out of 5m heroic toc, and the new icecrown 5 mans will have better weapons yet

Ill go back there on my hunter just to get the Gun I spent months farming in my guild but never dropped. Its the principle. From release until we entered Uld and left Naxx behind he never ONCE dropped that gun for any of our 4 hunters. That asshole...

J-Rzez

border said:
So if/when Icecrown comes out and they want to know why you won't tank for them, are you really going to say -- "Oh, I don't think Tier 10 looks good enough!"? The warrior/DK/druid sets don't even look that bad. And paladins should be used to fugly armor by now :p

Heh. That's true about pallies. I may go through it just to experience it, if I can convince myself to get back into it. The encounters and lore will have to be through the roof though to keep me interested. Guess we'll see. The armor certainly isn't going to pull itself any favors towards my DK, Lock, Rogue, War, or Mage.

border

I guess it'd be too much work, but at this point I think they might as well convert Naxx into a 5-man dungeon that drops iLevel 213-226 items. It'd reignite interest in the dungeon in a way that the weekly raid quests probably can't.

Tamanon

Banned
border said:
I guess it'd be too much work, but at this point I think they might as well convert Naxx into a 5-man dungeon that drops iLevel 213-226 items. It'd reignite interest in the dungeon in a way that the weekly raid quests probably can't.

Weekly raid quests that reward 10 emblems of frost will make Naxx pretty over-run to begin with.:p

J-Rzez

Tamanon said:
Weekly raid quests that reward 10 emblems of frost will make Naxx pretty over-run to begin with.:p

I haven't followed it too much thus don't recall it too well, but is it like the other dailies where you just have to hit a certain boss for an item? Say you'd have to down Thad? I was hoping it'd be a quick access boss, something that you don't really have to clear to.

Tamanon

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I haven't followed it too much thus don't recall it too well, but is it like the other dailies where you just have to hit a certain boss for an item? Say you'd have to down Thad? I was hoping it'd be a quick access boss, something that you don't really have to clear to.

From what I saw, it's one of the wing bosses from Naxx, Ulduar or any of the other raid instances it seems.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
They dont' offer 10 anymore anyways. It's 5.

Cipherr

Angry Grimace said:
They dont' offer 10 anymore anyways. It's 5.

Still, as an alts, or casuals only way to get their tiered sets, that stuff is going to be run hardCORE. PuG's will be everywhere.

VaLiancY

Angry Grimace said:

Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Cataclysm and the unannounced MMO. :p Blizzard has some great artist like Glen Rane, Peter Lee & Mark Gibbons, I just want to know if they're churning out concept art to go along the latest batch of tier gear.

jim-jam bongs said:

Well, I feel Tier sets should be a representation of your class, it's setting in the game as of current or an iconic member of the lore representing that class. I'm going to use Paladin as an example and the theme of the Light used with the sets. It's either revolving a theme of being healed, redeemed or being fucked up the wrath of the light which I see as the theme of the Paladin T10 with skull face visor and the flaming shoulders.

My main issue is with blue color scheme doesn't relate with the bright color scheme of the light of yellows, whites or reds of the Paladin's theme and the woodlike texture of the chest piece doesn't make me feel the character is wearing battle plate armor. The kilt doesn't bother me, maybe Blizzard doesn't to add more polygons to character models but I just wished it was modeled to look more like a kilt would walk into battle with.

Even if they do break themes of the class, it wouldn't bother me so much if they looked as if they came from the same place like Zul'Aman(which I still love to this day).

Tamanon

Banned
Hoooooly crap, my characters are basically broke now.:lol Picked up some new leggings, gloves, shoulders(via crusade trophy) and off-hand tonight raiding. Took a lot to re-enchant them all, but I've got a pimp cup at least now!

Swag

Gosh my hunter has been sitting at 71 for like 3 weeks :lol , can't find the motivation to go through Northrend at all. The exp requirements are insane

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Sebulon3k said:
Gosh my hunter has been sitting at 71 for like 3 weeks :lol , can't find the motivation to go through Northrend at all. The exp requirements are insane

le sigh

Not really. It only takes about 4 and 1/2 zones to get to 80. Don't think of it in numbers, that's dumb. It requires more xp to level up but the quests also give more. Think of things in percentages. The percent per level a quest gives is always the same.

Be grateful that only 70-80 is like this also, before Burning crusade it was like that for 20-60.

Chris R

Doesn't even take 4.5 zones. Starting three should get you to 77 and GH will get you to 80 if you do all the dungeon quests in dragonblight/hf/bt.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
rhfb said:
Doesn't even take 4.5 zones. Starting three should get you to 77 and GH will get you to 80 if you do all the dungeon quests in dragonblight/hf/bt.

Ah yeah that's true.

My brother is going through first time right now, pretty sure he's just done HF BT and almost done with DB, about to be 77 :p

My last character I leveled almost 100% quests, so I didn't do any dungeons.

lordmrw

When I created a DK to ease the boredom of non raiding back in july, I leveled 70-80 in about 9 days or so. Was alot more efficient in terms of the quests I chose to do that had the least hassle to complete so it was a breeze.

I finally caved in and spent 10 bucks on Lil'K.T. Not a big fan of spending anymore real money on wow than i already do for the subscription, but Lil'K.T. had me sold the second i heard the noises that he makes. Lol i can listen to him all day.

One of my favorite things about pets is clicking on them repeatedly to listen to their noises. For instance, I've always enjoyed listening to the weird noises the baby croc pets make. But Lil'K.T. is the clear winner. Blizzard did a fantastic job with his sound effects, not to mention that he laughs at people you kill during pvp and will randomly ice block kill critters.

I went back and forth on whether or not I was gonna get him, but the fact that the pet gets sent to all of the characters on your account broke down the last of my defenses. I'd spend more than 10 dollars if I went to the theater and that experience won't last as long as the pet will. So there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom