• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alfarif said:
Serious question... how are those people who have never done it because we didn't hump the ever living shit out of it back in the day supposed to do it and learn, then? I was invited to Naxx 25, but it was old hat for the other 24 people playing, and even though I was on Vent, the raid leader acted as if it was the most annoying thing in the world to have to explain it to me. I guess since I'm a healer, they "put up with it," but it pisses me off that people think EVERYONE has exhausted this content. I see folks in this thread complaining that there is nothing to do, but a good number of the folks here are the same who put in 20-30 hours a week on the game easily. More power to them, but don't get uppity when someone hasn't miraculously experienced content they've never, you know, played.

As for my other question, has anyone played WoW on the recent upgraded Mac Minis, or an equivalent? I'm grabbing a couple on Friday, and wanted to know what their WoW performance was like.

We're experienced in ascertaining the ins and outs of the classes we play and we've run with for years. Having people (often in GOOD GEAR mind you) gemmed horribly wrong, enchanted horribly wrong, playing horribly wrong, and acting wrongly about wasting others' time by not briefing themselves about the bosses they're fighting soon, yes. We do get angry.

Raided as Priest/Mage/Hunter/Warrior, in Holy/Disc/Shadow/Frost(it was BC, shhh)/FFB/Arcane/Fire/BM/MM/Arms/Prot. The fact of that sentence was NOT that I have done all that, but that I was prepared for each, and for each boss, ESPECIALLY the ones I hadnt done, and was concerned I would not make an ass of myself when I went in.

THAT is the difference.

border

If you are going to Naxx the first time then you have to read and learn like 13 separate boss strategies.....many of which don't make sense if you read just some text and see some crude diagrams. So if you do all that in the span of a day, what's the likelihood that you will be able to remember everything perfectly?

I don't see what's wrong with briefing a few newcomers, especially considering that most of the time you can summarize the bosses in a few sentences.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So... i just tried tanking Onyxia 10 and it didn't go great at all. The part where Onyxia lands at the end of phase 2 always wiped our pug raid because whelps were all over the place attacking people since our OT warrior had some trouble keeping aggro...when she landed there was still a big add alive every single time AND i had to run after her to make sure she did not one shot anyone while having that big add hitting on my back AND i might have some whelps on me... making me take too much damage.

Am i missing something? Should DPS get rid of most of the whelps and the big add before putting Onyxia back on the floor? Was the OT too bad at tanking the whelps? Should have i went after Onyxia while i had that big add on me? It's not a gear problem, i had 44k HP buffed!

No wonder i rarely tank raids, it's so much stress compared to DPS. Maybe i'll stick to tank 5 mans and dps raids. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Well, you have to have Ony under control. That's all. The adds should've been down, or at least almost down by the time Ony came down. Then you just hold Ony until the whelps are cleared and that's it. Sounds like your dps didn't know what to do.

Cipherr

Bisnic said:
So... i just tried tanking Onyxia 10 and it didn't go great at all. The part where Onyxia lands at the end of phase 2 always wiped our pug raid because whelps were all over the place attacking people since our OT warrior had some trouble keeping aggro...when she landed there was still a big add alive every single time AND i had to run after her to make sure she did not one shot anyone while having that big add hitting on my back AND i might have some whelps on me... making me take too much damage.

Am i missing something? Should DPS get rid of most of the whelps and the big add before putting Onyxia back on the floor? Was the OT too bad at tanking the whelps? Should have i went after Onyxia while i had that big add on me? It's not a gear problem, i had 44k HP buffed!

No wonder i rarely tank raids, it's so much stress compared to DPS. Maybe i'll stick to tank 5 mans and dps raids. :lol

Its all about the timing. In most pugs Ive seen the tell us ranged to never attack the adds. I think thats a mistake in a pug. Youll have a bunch of us mages hunters locks and ele shaman all on Ony in the air burning her down extremely fast, with ONLY melee dks rogues ferals and wars to deal with all of the whelps and the big adds. This normally causes the melee dps to fall behind on whelps and adds, or at least not kill them very fast. Ony lands while all those dragonkin are still up and the shit hits the fan.

Let your casters and ranged AE the whelps when they come out along with your melee. This will kill the whelps all in seconds, your melee should then have much more time to kill the big adds without the help of the ranged (once the ranged helps kill the whelps send them back to Ony.)

Most pugs for Ony seem to forbid ranged AEing the whelps. Claiming "Fuck recount, fuck your dps, stay on Ony" Its not about AE whoring, its about Phase 3 happening with ONLY a big add up, at worst. If P3 happens with Whelps and and a big add up your stressing your healers big time.

Tamanon

Banned
We did Ony10 today and our balance ended up with one melee and 4 ranged, so we quickly burned the whelps down, burned Ony down to the ground and then just blew up the one add. Phase 2 went so fast she didn't even have a chance to deep breath and we only got one add and one wave of whelps.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Blackface said:
The third time Whirldwind Battlegroup has been down in less then 24 hours. The first time it was down for hours upon hours.
It's both Whirlwind and Emberstorm.

Just twiddlin' mah thumbs

Retro

Puncture said:
Let your casters and ranged AE the whelps when they come out along with your melee. This will kill the whelps all in seconds, your melee should then have much more time to kill the big adds without the help of the ranged (once the ranged helps kill the whelps send them back to Ony.)
This is how I've done it in every Ony PUG I've been a part of, I was surprised to hear you say people tried it any other way, honestly.

In other WoW-related news, I'm actually surprised by how little anger I have over the Thanksgiving Holiday. With the exception of the Turkey Terminator thing (there really needed to be more areas than just Tirisfal and Elwynn, maybe Mulgore and Spacegoat Country?), everything was fairly easy, but not insultingly so.

More like this, less like Valentines and Hallow's Eve (Read: achievements that depend heavily on luck and repetitious farming).

And then, of course, I'm wondering how concerned Blizzard is about this little trailer.

As someone who is still not entirely convinced Aion is worth my time (especially with Cataclysm coming up), I'm seeing some cool stuff going on there, and a few things (player housing, yay! /limpwrist) that WoW hasn't delivered on. Enough that I'm saying "Damn, that's pretty epic, I wonder if I should make time for Aion now"... and making time for two MMOs is something I swore I'd never do.

Blackface

Banned
Tamanon said:
I doubt Blizzard gives a damn about Aion. They had their chance, but disappointed way too many people who tried the game.

Pretty sure Aion is still pretty damn successful at this point. But it was never going to be something Blizzard needed to worry about.

Anyway, servers still down. Soo awesome, hope we get comped a couple days.

Tamanon

Banned
http://ptr.wowhead.com/?item=50260#comments

So....maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this trinket super-overpowered for resto druids? Even moreso considering it's a 5-man drop.:lol

Ephemeral Snowflake
Binds when picked up
Unique
Trinket
Requires Level 80
Item Level 232
Equip: You gain 11 mana each time you heal a target with one of your spells.
Use: Grants 464 haste rating for 20 sec. (2 Min Cooldown)

Nevermind, it's still really good for them, but only 66 mana from rejuvs, 300 something from Wild Growth.

Retro

Blackface said:
Pretty sure Aion is still pretty damn successful at this point. But it was never going to be something Blizzard needed to worry about.

Yeah, I don't see Aion being a "WoW Killer" any more than I saw Warhammer, LotRO, or any of the other unfairly elevated MMOs that bore that label and (for the most part) suffered for it. Aion has far too many problems currently to deal WoW a serious blow; it's too grindy, solo-unfriendly for large portions, and lacks the casual pick-up-and-go gameplay WoW offers.

That said, however, I do see a game like Aion (especially with some of the coolness going on in that trailer) taking some of my attention away from WoW, especially pre-Cataclysm, and during Cataclysm unless WoW really gets their shit together. By that, I mean leveling needs to feel awesome again, the new zones need to be more than just Christmas-tree Quest Clusters, and the classes I play (Warrior and Paladin) need to have enough changes to feel different.

I was planning to level a Cowadin, but unless they change the class' early skill setup, I may just wait to race change one of my Belfs over. I can't stand the thought of tediously auto-attacking my way to 40, improved world or not.

funkmastergeneral said:
Talent spec looks perfect outside of the ghost wolf. Don't ever use blue or green gems on your gear though, if you need to activate your meta use a nightmare's tear

Forgot to say thanks for all the advice. I changed my talents and switched to the nightmare tear.

Still trying to get hit/expertise capped. What a PITA, my boomkin didnt have trouble getting capped for raids.....

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Retro said:
Yeah, I don't see Aion being a "WoW Killer" any more than I saw Warhammer, LotRO, or any of the other unfairly elevated MMOs that bore that label and (for the most part) suffered for it. Aion has far too many problems currently to deal WoW a serious blow; it's too grindy, solo-unfriendly for large portions, and lacks the casual pick-up-and-go gameplay WoW offers.

That said, however, I do see a game like Aion (especially with some of the coolness going on in that trailer) taking some of my attention away from WoW, especially pre-Cataclysm, and during Cataclysm unless WoW really gets their shit together. By that, I mean leveling needs to feel awesome again, the new zones need to be more than just Christmas-tree Quest Clusters, and the classes I play (Warrior and Paladin) need to have enough changes to feel different.

I was planning to level a Cowadin, but unless they change the class' early skill setup, I may just wait to race change one of my Belfs over. I can't stand the thought of tediously auto-attacking my way to 40, improved world or not.
Correction, 50.

You don't get any attacks until 50. The only thing that's good at 40 is you start to get Judgments of the Wise so you stop running out of mana.

Soroc

Where the heck do I trade in the Trophy of the crusade. I won one in a raid the other night and looked it up on wowhead and I needed to see Valiant Bassia or something like that but I don't see her anywhere in the argent tournament grounds. Am I missing something or is it b/c I haven't done any quest lines in this area and my rep isn't high? Is she phased?

Soroc said:
Where the heck do I trade in the Trophy of the crusade. I won one in a raid the other night and looked it up on wowhead and I needed to see Valiant Bassia or something like that but I don't see her anywhere in the argent tournament grounds. Am I missing something or is it b/c I haven't done any quest lines in this area and my rep isn't high? Is she phased?

they're right outside the instance lined up along there

Retro

Angry Grimace said:
Correction, 50.

You don't get any attacks until 50. The only thing that's good at 40 is you start to get Judgments of the Wise so you stop running out of mana.

Yeah, I was thinking 41 point talent, which you don't get until 50. Wasn't on all gears this morning, and I actually took a catnap after making that post. Ya'll knew what I meant though.

Angry Grimace

Retro said:
Yeah, I was thinking 41 point talent, which you don't get until 50. Wasn't on all gears this morning, and I actually took a catnap after making that post. Ya'll knew what I meant though.
Ironically, once you get Divine Storm, it's a faceroll through Outlands. You can solo mobs that are allegedly 3 man party quests.

Tamanon

Banned
Soroc said:

Right next to the vendor where you got your Tier 9 armor is the one who sells the 9.25 armor, costs a trophy and a hefty amount of badges.

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
Welp I made the main tank hate me tonight.

Riding 104% threat the entire fight on AN. :lol
Ask for a Salv =O

Most people forget it even exists anymore :lol

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
I had salv.
Get another one. You can't possibly run with less than 2 paladins. :D

I'm also not sure which fight is "AN" either. For some reason, I read it as "Azjol-Nerub" which makes no sense.

I guess threat levels are one of those things you're kind of screwed on if you take the 0/53/18 spec since you get no threat management from Subtlety.

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
Get another one. You can't possibly run with less than 2 paladins. :D

I'm also not sure which fight is "AN" either. For some reason, I read it as "Azjol-Nerub" which makes no sense.

I guess threat levels are one of those things you're kind of screwed on if you take the 0/53/18 spec since you get no threat management from Subtlety.
Anub'Arak in TOC. :p

AN was a typo. :p

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
Anub'Arak in TOC. :p

AN was a typo. :p
In a case of good fortune, since AN happens to have Anub'arak in it also, I also visualized it in my mind as Anub'arak. :lol

border said:
If you are going to Naxx the first time then you have to read and learn like 13 separate boss strategies.....many of which don't make sense if you read just some text and see some crude diagrams. So if you do all that in the span of a day, what's the likelihood that you will be able to remember everything perfectly?

I don't see what's wrong with briefing a few newcomers, especially considering that most of the time you can summarize the bosses in a few sentences.

Not perfectly, solidly (it IS out-of-date Wrath raids). We were more going after the true Bads, not the rest of us, who aren't stupid but make stupid mistakes.

Xabora

Made this and originally posted it at another site but I'll post it here too.

e7ysk7.png

255rtpx.png

border

SatelliteOfLove said:
Not perfectly, solidly (it IS out-of-date Wrath raids). We were more going after the true Bads, not the rest of us, who aren't stupid but make stupid mistakes.
Well, players that are new to Naxx are going to be ranged or melee DPS -- most people have better sense than to make their first run as a tank or healer. Explaining fights for DPS should be relatively easy....only the Heigan fight really requires perfect attention and execution.

Once you come down from your epic'ed out main characters, it is pretty astonishing how bad other players can be though. I'm just trying to get some Trial of the Champion runs in with my Death Knight alt, and I see "tanks" with 20K HP, wearing half defense gear and half PVP gear.

Angry Grimace

The "Old" PvP Titles will be returning in Cataclysm, ("Knight," "Knight-Commander," "Warlord", etc.) They will have something to do with Rated BGs, which obviously Blizzard likes a lot more than Arenas.

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
The "Old" PvP Titles will be returning in Cataclysm, ("Knight," "Knight-Commander," "Warlord", etc.) They will have something to do with Rated BGs, which obviously Blizzard likes a lot more than Arenas.
Arenas are 90% of the reason why I dont pvp atm.

But there will be Arena PVP gear, Battleground PVP gear, and Raid PVE Gear for Cata.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
markot said:
Now the old ranks will mean nothing >_<

Who....cares? Wasn't it just a timesink? The ones from Cataclysm require a really good w/l ratio.

In a way, the cata ones will mean more.

markot

Banned
PVE >_<

It was a... reminder of the better days, none of this cross realm stuff, youd know who and what to watch out for and make rivalries on the same server. Sure, it sucked, but pvp still sucks, if not moreso.

Oh, and the 'high warlord' and stuff is a good sign of lunacy, in many ways its the ultimate one! Now we wont know who is crazy and who isnt!

markot

Banned
I liked pvp, its just the 'system' of pvp sucks. It was at its best before honour points and all that crap. I come back every now and then, but they keep doing silly things like Wintergrasp and such >.<

Ive never liked raiding and crap though >.>

Lumine

I've always been a PvE player, but I loved to regularely do some PvP as well. Until WotLK came out and I hit level 80. The huge gap that comes with resilience on PvP gear just killed it for me. I pretty much avoid any world PvP because of it and haven't played a single BG or arena match in the past year. It's kind of dissapointing, because I liked having those PvP options next to the "main" game. I just lose any incentive to do them though when I start at such a huge dissadvantage because I have no resilience on my gear. I can't be arsed to grind for another set of items when I already spent so much time on my PvE items.

It's a shame and I really hope they will remove resilience from the game in Cataclysm, but I highly doubt it. :(

markot said:
I liked pvp, its just the 'system' of pvp sucks. It was at its best before honour points and all that crap. I come back every now and then, but they keep doing silly things like Wintergrasp and such >.<

Ive never liked raiding and crap though >.>

I tell ya the patch before TBC came out that made it so all the servers were connected for BGs ruined the game for me way back then. PvP used ot be so much fun.. maybe it will go back to it in cata with less arena shit, getting rid of resilience(?) and stream lining the stats.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's funny seeing people go on about the death of PVP and the sense of comradeship/bitterness between guilds on a single server.

I won't deny that I was among this group for a long time, but rolling on an RP realm has really pulled the hood off my head. It's quite surreal seeing things "as they were" before the 2.0 patch pre-BC... still happen today on an RP realm of all places. The things I witness now and then continues to blow me away.

The complaining has gotten so stupid that we're actually discussing how PVP was better way back when you had to wait 6 hours for AV to start because at least you recognized the people that called you a fucking noob for every little thing you did wrong.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The complaining has gotten so stupid that we're actually discussing how PVP was better way back when you had to wait 6 hours for AV to start because at least you recognized the people that called you a fucking noob for every little thing you did wrong.
WoW has basically become a session based multiplayer game with cross-realm battlegrounds and arenas. The game world is just an extravagant lobby before matches.

It'd be nice if Blizzard could somehow find a balance. I don't think anyone wants to return to 6 hour waits.

aryies

Neo Member
ok, so, im permaquitting, anyone interested in buying an account with an 80 lock, 80 priest, 80 paladin, 74 rogue, and some other random alts? if your in aus i'll throw in an authenticator for free. the lock is really well geared, the priest is decently geared, and the paladin is just geared from heroics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom