• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
sykoex said:
So why have so many people been theorizing 3.3's release being this week or next when that blue post said it was over a month out?
Well, the person that said a "month" was a CS, not an actual developer or higher up.

Belfast

Bisnic said:
3.2 was released in early August, so make that 4 months. :p

Sure is alot of months for a patch that had such a small raid and 5 man instances which was exactly the same room 90% of the time.

I could swear it was mid-late June, but I guess it was early August.

Tamanon

Banned
Macattk15 said:
Don't let Blizzard fool you, clearly DK's are pure DPS classes because Blizzard has yet to bring their DPS numbers down in line with other hybrids.

It does seem that they're hybrid tax-exempt. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years Blizzard started saying they regretted making Death Knights instead of Arena.:lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tamanon said:
It does seem that they're hybrid tax-exempt. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years Blizzard started saying they regretted making Death Knights instead of Arena.:lol
You can't make a new class, sell the expansion on it, and make them the same shit as everyone else.

I was always under the impression DKs were so powerful at the beginning as they came about in a time where the other 9 classes were known and known well, with the other ones are based on a time where each were the same age and development.

Tamanon

Banned
Nah, DKs are just so powerful because they're so damn tough to balance when it comes to scaling. Since they mix melee with DoTs and the ability to do AE damage without even affecting their single target damage.

Tamanon

Banned
release-candidate.jpg

http://www.worldofraids.com/images/news/2009/december/release-candidate.jpg

Well, that settles it, 8th it is!

Xabora

Tamanon said:
Nah, DKs are just so powerful because they're so damn tough to balance when it comes to scaling. Since they mix melee with DoTs and the ability to do AE damage without even affecting their single target damage.
Melee
Dots with Initial Impact Damage (That can scale on another dot)
Weapon % Based Physical Attacks with Flat Weapon Bonus and % Bonus per Disease
Weapon % Based Magical Attacks with Flat Weapon Bonus and % Bonus per Disease
Weapon % Based Physical & Magical Attacks with Flat Weapon Bonus and % Bonus per Disease (Which in itself will double dip allowing it to scale twice)
Auto Melee procs with % based bonus damage based on disease count
All Melee Abilities are Instants (Except Rune Strike)
All Spells are Instants (Except AoTD)
Abilities to Boost Damage that scale with stats on % basis
Sticks to ~20 Rotation (Predictable)

The class in itself scales extremely well on a % based scaler fight.

Cipherr

Xabora

I'm not going to say where, or how.
But...

CATACLYSM OFFLINE INSTALLER HAS BEEN LEAKED
6.8gigs, legit and verified too.

That is all.

border

Xabora said:
I'm not going to say where, or how.
But...

CATACLYSM OFFLINE INSTALLER HAS BEEN LEAKED
6.8gigs, legit and verified too.

That is all.
Hypothetically speaking of course.....could you even play this without servers? When you say it's an "Offline Installer" does that mean it can actually be played offline? Or is it something that would only interest dataminers?

I suspect they have "Offline" builds of the game just so they can show it off at trade shows and the like -- I'm guessing the source of this leak probably is that European game event that was hosted last week.

Xabora

border said:
Hypothetically speaking of course.....could you even play this without servers? When you say it's an "Offline Installer" does that mean it can actually be played offline? Or is it something that would only interest dataminers?

I suspect they have "Offline" builds of the game just so they can show it off at trade shows and the like -- I'm guessing the source of this leak probably is that European game event that was hosted last week.
Data Miners, model peeps, spell info from the mined data, models, sound files, etc etc.

Its enough to gather whats going to happen, and any major spoilers.

Also this is the biggest expansion to date.
3x larger than WoTLK in size.

Speculation is its the FAF Alpha Installer right now.

border

I wonder why it's so much larger? From the sound of things there will be less new zones, and mostly it's just reworked Azeroth content......

It doesn't include the opening cinematic does it? ;)

Evlar

Banned
I think it was expected that Cataclysm would be friggin gigantic... Old Azeroth is still the largest chunk of in-game real estate and Cataclysm essentially replaces it.

Tamanon

Banned
border said:
I wonder why it's so much larger? From the sound of things there will be less new zones, and mostly it's just reworked Azeroth content......

It doesn't include the opening cinematic does it? ;)

Keep in mind a lot of that size is going to be overwriting the old zones.

And it makes sense, Blizz actually said Cat testing would begin by the end of the year.

Evlar

Banned
I've previously wondered whether they are actually going to attempt to have every user (even the ones not purchasing Cataclysm) to download a large portion of the expansion to accommodate the changes to existing landmasses. Can you imagine the headache of patching up a basic installation from the original 2004 game discs? It was bad enough just patching in the pre-TBC patched instances, Draenei, Blod Elves, and DK armor, and the other new stuff that basic accounts have access to. This is on a different scale.

border

Evlar said:
I've previously wondered whether they are actually going to attempt to have every user (even the ones not purchasing Cataclysm) to download a large portion of the expansion to accommodate the changes to existing landmasses. Can you imagine the headache of patching up a basic installation from the original 2004 game discs? It was bad enough just patching in the pre-TBC patched instances, Draenei, Blod Elves, and DK armor, and the other new stuff that basic accounts have access to. This is on a different scale.

The only alternative would be to give people the option to stay in a partially phased version of the old world....but that'd be a pretty terrible idea since everything would be barren and the experience would be downright awful. I'll bet they could keep you in a Phased version of the Old World while the background downloader grabs updating files.....by the time you're out of the starting zones and ready to interact with other players you would be ready to update your client. Don't they already have a trial client that does something like this? Where you can play almost instantly as the game downloads?

border

Tamanon said:
I'm thinking they'll probably sneak the files in small patches during the buildup.
Well he's more concerned what is going to happen to a completely new player with an older trial disc or TBC trial disc that joins in after Cataclysm launches. He'll essentially be facing 12-15GB in patches just to start playing......which becomes a barrier to entry for an MMO that is bound to start losing players sooner or later.

They could spam the market with free or low-cost trial discs that have all the Cataclysm content -- but damn, at this point I'll bet there is more game data than a DVD can hold. My WoW folding is tipping 15GB without Cataclysm installed.

Xabora

border said:
Well he's more concerned what is going to happen to a completely new player with an older trial disc or TBC trial disc that joins in after Cataclysm launches. He'll essentially be facing 12-15GB in patches just to start playing......which becomes a barrier to entry for an MMO that is bound to start losing players sooner or later.

They could spam the market with free or low-cost trial discs that have all the Cataclysm content -- but damn, at this point I'll bet there is more game data than a DVD can hold. My WoW folding is tipping 15GB without Cataclysm installed.
Not not really, blizzard has patches that allow you to patch up.
The only thing the person wont install is the expansion related MPQ.

So a cata main patch might be around 5gigs for someone with an older install.
If they pull down the all in one installer it will be about the same size.

Maybe less.

Evlar

Banned
Thinking about it further, I'm guessing the existing "basic WoW" retail box will just cease to exist. They'll do one of two things. The first possibility is they'll sell Cataclysm in two flavors: a level-60 capped account version that functions as the new basic WoW installation box and will be priced accordingly, and a level-85 capped account version that functions as the third expansion and will be priced as all the new expansions have been.

The second possibility is they'll sell Cataclysm in just one box. Brand-new players can buy that box and install the whole damn shooting match. When they create their new account, matched with the activation key for Cataclysm, Battle.net will give them a 60-capped account with their 30 day trial. When existing users with TBC and WotLK buy the same box, enter a Cataclysm code, and choose the upgrade account option on Battle.net they'll get the 85-capped account, Worgen and Goblin creation privileges, and so forth. Any player who has the Cataclysm landmasses already installed can upgrade to an 85-capped account by having the other expansions and simply buying the code on Battle.net.

Honestly, the second option sounds much too complicated for your typical marketing effort. They'll probably stick with the first option. This doesn't alleviate the problem of new users somehow starting from Ye Olde 2004 WoW Discs who will still have to download and install some ginormous 5GB Catalyst patch but it'll provide an easy path for the majority of new users who'll be picking up the game fresh from retail outlets.

border

I gotta imagine that $5 WoW sale last weekend was part of their plan to clear out any and all old discs sitting on shelves. And at some point you've gotta stop worrying about people sitting on trial discs from literally 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure they update the "basic box" with the newest client everytime an expansion releases anyway. Even if you have a vanilla account, you still have Northrend and Outland sitting on your hard drive.....you just can't go there.

Come to think of it, what happens if you have a vanilla account and a warlock summons you to Dalaran?

Retro

6.8 gigs... that's a whole lot of awesome. Of course, I bet it replaces the original WoW, which was... 2.8 gigs? What's the other 4 gigs made up of, I wonder? I bet it's awesome... pure awesome. :lol

Evlar

Banned
border said:
I gotta imagine that $5 WoW sale last weekend was part of their plan to clear out any and all old discs sitting on shelves. And at some point you've gotta stop worrying about people sitting on trial discs from literally 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure they update the "basic box" with the newest client everytime an expansion releases anyway. Even if you have a vanilla account, you still have Northrend and Outland sitting on your hard drive.....you just can't go there.

Come to think of it, what happens if you have a vanilla account and a warlock summons you to Dalaran?
Actually, I'm almost 100% certain that's not currently true. I have a friend who started playing WoW this past June, beginning with a vanilla WoW box purchased brand new from Best Buy this year. When he subsequently installed both TBC and WotLK it spanned data off those discs in similar sized chunks as when I installed those expansions on my machine that's been running WoW continuously since beta. Each expansion pack comes with all patches between expansions (the WotLK disc will patch your client directly up to 3.0) but the vanilla WoW disc had nothing past pre-WotLK Naxxramas.

EDIT: Anyway, regardless of whether it's currently true I agree that by the time Cataclysm launches all vanilla WoW boxes will basically be 60-capped Cataclysm install discs.

Xabora

Retro said:
6.8 gigs... that's a whole lot of awesome. Of course, I bet it replaces the original WoW, which was... 2.8 gigs? What's the other 4 gigs made up of, I wonder? I bet it's awesome... pure awesome. :lol
Most likely:

Redone Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms
New Art Assets
That alone could take up ~3 gigs.
Rewrite the old terrain data for Kalimdor and Eastren Kingdoms and pack on any new data thats needed.

Angry Grimace

Puncture said:
That is freaking lame, we really deserve our pet scaling to go in 3.3 man. Fucking bullshit that they claim tech issues are holding back pets scaling with our haste and crit, and then we discover that DK pets are currently ALREADY receiving 100% of their masters haste scaled directly to the ghoul.

Fucking bullshit.
Hunters do the most damage of everyone, don't they?

Evlar said:
Actually, I'm almost 100% certain that's not currently true. I have a friend who started playing WoW this past June, beginning with a vanilla WoW box purchased brand new from Best Buy this year. When he subsequently installed both TBC and WotLK it spanned data off those discs in similar sized chunks as when I installed those expansions on my machine that's been running WoW continuously since beta. Each expansion pack comes with all patches between expansions (the WotLK disc will patch your client directly up to 3.0) but the vanilla WoW disc had nothing past pre-WotLK Naxxramas.

EDIT: Anyway, regardless of whether it's currently true I agree that by the time Cataclysm launches all vanilla WoW boxes will basically be 60-capped Cataclysm install discs.

At some point they have to cut down on the number of expansion packs a player has to buy to get the full version of the game. Pretending the expansion packs are optional is silly nonsense.

If I wanted to make a new account for, say, my GF, I would have to buy the game, and 2 expansion packs. At Cataclysm, it gets to 3. At 3, you're talking too expensive for the average player to buy the game because the real cost of the game is well over 100 bucks not counting monthly fees and the reality is that Burning Crusade doesn't offer any endgame content anymore, and it's only real content is 8 levels of questing that you can fly through in 2 days.

Retro

border said:
A huge chunk of it is probably Outland and Northrend.

Pretty sure it doesn't; you still need to install TBC and Wrath to gain access to those areas. I can't see WoW suddenly giving their two expansions away for free to everyone who buys Cataclysm.

Then again, maybe they are. Cataclysm is the "Fresh Start" to catch everyone up who is new to the game... maybe they're saying "Fuckit" and just throwing the last two in to sweeten the deal?

Xabora said:
Most likely:

Redone Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms
New Art Assets
That alone could take up ~3 gigs.
Rewrite the old terrain data for Kalimdor and Eastren Kingdoms and pack on any new data thats needed.

Right, but let's say the Original WoW was 2.8 gigs. Redoing all of that terrain + extras is probably about 3 gigs, maybe even closer to 4. So what's that extra 2 gigabytes made up of?

I'm not trying to debate the size of it, I'm just wondering if maybe there's something in Cataclysm we haven't seen yet that's kinda... big. We've already heard of Undersea mounts... maybe the crazy bastards did the entire ocean or something.

Angry Grimace

Retro said:
Pretty sure it doesn't; you still need to install TBC and Wrath to gain access to those areas. I can't see WoW suddenly giving their two expansions away for free to everyone who buys Cataclysm.

Then again, maybe they are. Cataclysm is the "Fresh Start" to catch everyone up who is new to the game... maybe they're saying "Fuckit" and just throwing the last two in to sweeten the deal?

Right, but let's say the Original WoW was 2.8 gigs. Redoing all of that terrain + extras is probably about 3 gigs, maybe even closer to 4. So what's that extra 2 gigabytes made up of?

I'm not trying to debate the size of it, I'm just wondering if maybe there's something in Cataclysm we haven't seen yet that's kinda... big. We've already heard of Undersea mounts... maybe the crazy bastards did the entire ocean or something.
As I said above. The entry cost is going to simply be too high if they don't start giving away at least TBC along with the vanilla game. The other option is to make it cost $9.99 or something. Consumers aren't stupid enough to not realize there's nothing content-wise in Burning Crusade anymore beyond the ability to get another 10 levels.

The entry cost to play the "real" game is simply getting too high at the point in which you have to pay 20 bucks to get an account, plus 100 bucks in expansion packs.

Tamanon

Banned
Every MMO starts going to the package deal after a few expansions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they started throwing all of them together(outside of Cataclysm) for 29 or 39 dollars.

Xabora

Retro said:

Don't forget.
They beefed up the terrain data by adding extra data for hue, brightness and whatnot.

The other 2 gigs most likely will be misc stuff from either model data, sounds, mesh, textures, armor, weapons, etc etc.

border

$60-80 for a "WoW Complete" Battlechest doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Vanilla WoW pretty much has no market value (the "Free Month" you get with it is worth more than the price you typically pay for it).....so you figure that each expansion is worth $20/each.

This expansion contains so much content geared towards people creating new characters that they'd be crazy not to reach out to new players with a good deal.

Evlar

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
As I said above. The entry cost is going to simply be too high if they don't start giving away at least TBC along with the vanilla game.

Consumers aren't stupid enough to not realize there's nothing content-wise in Burning Crusade anymore beyond the ability to get another 10 levels.
I imagine Blizzard doesn't really care all that much but retail partners must be appeased. After all, a sizeable chunk of the cost of each expansion box goes to material cost of packaging plus retail's cut. It's probably a point of negotiation between Blizzard Activision and the retail chains how many flavors of WoW boxes ought to be stocked.

markot

Banned
Wonder how much they make selling all the boxes. Must be a decent amount, even compared to the subs.... Well, decent enough to keep selling em seperately.

Retro

Yeah. I'm gonna have to go with the general consensus here, that Cataclysm probably does include the old expansions to quickly bring everyone up to speed. Still, that's a big ass download there... :lol

Belfast

Hey, Xabora, would it be too much to ask for a PM of the information? Being a bit of a hobbyist data-miner, myself, I'm highly intrigued. If you'd rather be safer, I can send along my e-mail address.

Xabora

Belfast said:
Hey, Xabora, would it be too much to ask for a PM of the information? Being a bit of a hobbyist data-miner, myself, I'm highly intrigued. If you'd rather be safer, I can send along my e-mail address.
I don't have the link myself.
Just going off of a confirmed screenshot I found on another site that had been verified by another member.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just remember that you can install WoW fully up to 3.0 by inserting the WotLK disc only. It just depends on whether the account you log in with has access to these zones.

I imagine that is another reason why b.net was overhauled and everyone had to merge their accounts. Cataclysm comes out, becomes the new "go to disc" to install WoW for regulars and new buyers, and you can buy the additional content of BC & WotLK via b.net or through the traditional disc method.

Oh god why am I patching the game up-to-date.... what am I doing!? :lol

Is there like a "come back an play for 10days" thing or something of the like going on in Euroland?

Akim

Banned
Xabora said:
Data Miners, model peeps, spell info from the mined data, models, sound files, etc etc.

Its enough to gather whats going to happen, and any major spoilers.

Also this is the biggest expansion to date.
3x larger than WoTLK in size.

Speculation is its the FAF Alpha Installer right now.

So like...do you have a source for this?

Ripclawe

Banned
After all these years I find out about getting the torrent link from the wow cache folder to download patches faster . The hell man. >_<

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Question to anyone playing with a controller. Anyone know of a good mod or configuration to play WoW with a 360 controller and (wireless) keyboard. I had to rearrange the room due to winter and now play from my bed. Obviously text and skill would still be done via keyboard but walking and fighting would be good for me via the controller. Thanks!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Teetris said:
Question to anyone playing with a controller. Anyone know of a good mod or configuration to play WoW with a 360 controller and (wireless) keyboard. I had to rearrange the room due to winter and now play from my bed. Obviously text and skill would still be done via keyboard but walking and fighting would be good for me via the controller. Thanks!
:lol

Good luck! If you find a way through this, make sure you let Blizzard know so they can port WoW over to consoles.

Evlar

Banned
Teetris said:
I suppose you could start by looking at FFXI's button bindings. That game has menus and other UI functions designed specifically for dual analog, though, so it's doubtful much of it will carry over. If you do manage to get it working I would recommend never bringing it up in /raid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom