• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teetris said:
Question to anyone playing with a controller. Anyone know of a good mod or configuration to play WoW with a 360 controller and (wireless) keyboard. I had to rearrange the room due to winter and now play from my bed. Obviously text and skill would still be done via keyboard but walking and fighting would be good for me via the controller. Thanks!

Wireless keyboard and mouse not an option? :lol I had to get a set ermm 3 years ago for the same reason and there still working now.

Oh and if you use the keyboard for chat.. what in the fucks the point of the controller when you cna do everything else from the keyboard :lol

Dvd case or even just on the duvet works fine with a wireless mouse..

I was just looking over the questline for Shadowmourne, and it seems the only annoying part will be the Primordial saronite and waiting for the necessary bosses to be released due to the gating scheme they have going in ICC. It appears anyone that can get the primordial saronite together will get this axe eventually, or am I missing something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
funkmastergeneral said:
I was just looking over the questline for Shadowmourne, and it seems the only annoying part will be the Primordial saronite and waiting for the necessary bosses to be released due to the gating scheme they have going in ICC. It appears anyone that can get the primordial saronite together will get this axe eventually, or am I missing something.
Shards of the Frozen Throne.

Xabora

Akim said:
So like...do you have a source for this?
Yeah, but its not a safe source. (After digging in the rabbit hole)
Had to reformat my system due to a potential keylogger.

Stay away until some fool releases information.

Yaweee

Xabora said:
Yeah, but its not a safe source. (After digging in the rabbit hole)
Had to reformat my system due to a potential keylogger.

Stay away until some fool releases information.

Why did you have to reformat? Won't a barrage of of malware/virus scans catch keyloggers?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yaweee said:
Why did you have to reformat? Won't a barrage of of malware/virus scans catch keyloggers?
It's the one you don't catch that fucks you.

Epix

funkmastergeneral said:
And the fact that you cannot begin collecting shards until after you killed Sindragosa (she'll be released with the Lich Kind in the last phase of the gating process).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Teetris said:
Question to anyone playing with a controller. Anyone know of a good mod or configuration to play WoW with a 360 controller and (wireless) keyboard. I had to rearrange the room due to winter and now play from my bed. Obviously text and skill would still be done via keyboard but walking and fighting would be good for me via the controller. Thanks!

I setup a controller for fishing last weekend :lol . Left stick was movement, one of the buttons was to fish, right stick was mouse, another button was right click. Was win for just sitting there and fishing.

You could add more buttons to it all but the only problem was the camera. You need to hold down another button and then use the left stick to get some sort of extra camera movement (essentially right mouse button and mouse movement like you would with a mouse).

I used pinnacle game profiler to set it all up. Required a bit of time, but i can fish without worrying about my wrist getting sore. Although it is a 30 day trial, so i guess i better fish fast :lol

Angry Grimace

LAUGHTREY said:
And then doing a gimmick on the three bosses of the three wings.

And then 1000 kills in ICC.
Are we sure they are in ICC?

Edit: They are, but souls can be farmed in 10 man also.

The Shadowfrost shards you need require 50 of them. They sound like guaranteed quest loot though.

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
Are we sure they are in ICC?
No, we aren't. The quest states "claim 1000 souls" or whatever. Here's to hoping it's just limited to undead mobs anywhere. I'm wondering if you're going to need killing blows on all the mobs or just have to do some damage to them....

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
No, we aren't. The quest states "claim 1000 souls" or whatever. Here's to hoping it's just limited to undead mobs anywhere. I'm wondering if you're going to need killing blows on all the mobs or just have to do some damage to them....
I just checked mmo-champion's quest logs and it shows;

A Feast of Souls

Highlord Darion Mograine wants you to use Shadow's Edge to slay 1000 of the Lich King's minions in Icecrown Citadel. Souls can be obtained in 10 or 25 person difficulty.

* Souls fed to Shadow's Edge x 1000

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
I just checked mmo-champion's quest logs and it shows;

A Feast of Souls

Highlord Darion Mograine wants you to use Shadow's Edge to slay 1000 of the Lich King's minions in Icecrown Citadel. Souls can be obtained in 10 or 25 person difficulty.

* Souls fed to Shadow's Edge x 1000
Well that answers that. Still wonder if that's killing blows or not..

Epix

funkmastergeneral said:
I see, that makes some sense. So these shards that are farmed only drop 1 at a time, even if two people are both on the quest to make the axe?
I'm wondering about this too. I'm really hoping that they're quest items lootable by each person that has the quest, (similar to the keepers sigils in Ulduar). Who knows though.

TomServo

Dropped out of my guild's raiding ranks last night.

Love the game, may even raid again towards the end of WotLK, but the ICC gating scheme killed my desire to stick around for 3.3. The game is starved for new content and they're gating ICC? WTF.

Good luck to you guys who're sticking it out through this.

TomServo said:
Dropped out of my guild's raiding ranks last night.

Love the game, may even raid again towards the end of WotLK, but the ICC gating scheme killed my desire to stick around for 3.3. The game is starved for new content and they're gating ICC? WTF.

Good luck to you guys who're sticking it out through this.
Shouldn't you logically see the gating as an attempt at fixing the problem with content running dry?

IcedTea

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Shouldn't you logically see the gating as an attempt at fixing the problem with content running dry?
Similar to how making a hard mode achievement for killing a boss without wearing any pants isn't actually adding challenging content, adding 'invisible walls' to keep people from pushing forward isn't the same as giving the players more to do or adding more content.

IcedTea said:
Similar to how making a hard mode achievement for killing a boss without wearing any pants isn't actually adding challenging content, adding 'invisible walls' to keep people from pushing forward isn't the same as giving the players more to do or adding more content.
Sure it is. You can't do it until it's ready for you. It's no different than waiting for a new patch for new content, except it happens quicker over a shorter period of time.

The only problem with the system is that people think that just because something has been made means that it should be instantly available to everyone. Gating created content is no different than not actually making any content until the next patch, except some people have a "but I want it now mom" mentality about it.

At the very least, I would welcome a rational thought on how Blizzard is actually trying to alleviate content lulls rather than supposing they should stop gating things but somehow still have something new for us every month.

Angry Grimace

IcedTea said:
I have yet to see an argument about gating that makes any real sense beyond, "I want to play it now."

traveler

Not Wario
Sure it is. You can't do it until it's ready for you. It's no different than waiting for a new patch for new content, except it happens quicker over a shorter period of time.

The only problem with the system is that people think that just because something has been made means that it should be instantly available to everyone. Gating created content is no different than not actually making any content until the next patch, except some people have a "but I want it now mom" mentality about it.

At the very least, I would welcome a rational thought on how Blizzard is actually trying to alleviate content lulls rather than supposing they should stop gating things but somehow still have something new for us every month.

Content lulls are fine. They're natural and should happen. Dragging out a raid instance to the point where players will possible despise the earlier parts before they even get to the end is not. I would much rather unsubscribe to the game satisfied than keep subscribing to experience more repetition with the occasional new content.

Epix

I think the vast majority of it is just naive people assuming that since Blizzard has added some content data to their webpage outlining what is included in the patch that's it's ready to go and Blizzard is holding it back just to artificially create lasting desire to continue playing. Sure, part of the reason for the gating process is to extended the life of the product a few weeks. Having been involved in some large scale software endeavors I can say that the process of creating a bug free, full featured product on this magnitude is extremely difficult, especially when the main goal of the customer is to try and find an exploit that you didn't know about (omfg if I eat at a mana biscuit while i have the noggenfogger buff I can walk straight through the wall into the Lich Kings ROOM!). I really don't mind it tbh. Our guild will be excited about the first 4 bosses and when we finally get him down Blizzard will give us the next set. I just wished people realized the scope and effort that goes on behind the scenes getting something on this scale working correctly before just assuming Blizzard is sitting on a flawless copy of 3.3 laughing manically.

Angry Grimace

traveler said:
Content lulls are fine. They're natural and should happen. Dragging out a raid instance to the point where players will possible despise the earlier parts before they even get to the end is not. I would much rather unsubscribe to the game satisfied than keep subscribing to experience more repetition with the occasional new content.
This might have merit if you had actually played the content you're already claiming to despise based on repetition.

The evidence you point to in support of your conclusion proves the opposite point you're trying to make.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Angry Grimace said:
I have yet to see an argument about gating that makes any real sense beyond, "I want to play it now."

Personally I think that ICC's gating is due to christmas and the holidays. How many guilds will be able to actually raid during the holidays? How much maintence will be able to be had on the servers?, etc. So personally that they gate ICC so that we can see some of it before 2010 is actually great.

Gating done good is good. ToC in retrospect was actually quite fun with a new boss every week.

Xabora

kinoki said:
Personally I think that ICC's gating is due to christmas and the holidays. How many guilds will be able to actually raid during the holidays? How much maintence will be able to be had on the servers?, etc. So personally that they gate ICC so that we can see some of it before 2010 is actually great.

Gating done good is good. ToC in retrospect was actually quite fun with a new boss every week.
Also to extend the life of the content and allow them to futher tune it and prepare for the death of the Lich King when they patch in the death event into the client.

Angry Grimace

kinoki said:

By it's nature, the last tier of anything is going to bleed off subs the moment the last boss dies. The mere fact that Blizzard is doing something profitable for itself doesn't mean it's automatically bad for players and/or the benefit for players is meritless subterfuge.

Can anyone help me? I got one of those 7-free days of gametime emails from Blizzard, went to use it, logged in and it just takes me to the account management page. What am I looking for here? I just click the link in the email, log in and that's where it goes.

Xabora

ToyMachine228 said:
Can anyone help me? I got one of those 7-free days of gametime emails from Blizzard, went to use it, logged in and it just takes me to the account management page. What am I looking for here? I just click the link in the email, log in and that's where it goes.
Make a battle.net account, then while in your new battle.net account merge your WoW account with it.

Login

Profit?

Angry Grimace said:

That's more than enough reason, because it's fucking DONE. Game's bleeding out of both ends, faster and easier, and this is the only way to deal with folks like the above and myself who are looking to down the Lich King and are not sticking around past that till Cata as the gear will be the same as you get there, with 3.3 achievements easily farmed later at 85.

It's both mental and emotional, this reason, and it bears mentioning that it is us as individuals saying this, (ESPECIALLY me, due to this idea killing the guild if it gained ground in there...this expansion has been murder for adult casual guilds already). I have a hard time seeing this as anythinge else but that we're just being taken for more $$$, and I'm not cool with that; it's the straw that broke the camels back.

Then there's this.

I think the vast majority of it is just naive people assuming that since Blizzard has added some content data to their webpage outlining what is included in the patch that's it's ready to go and Blizzard is holding it back just to artificially create lasting desire to continue playing. Sure, part of the reason for the gating process is to extended the life of the product a few weeks. Having been involved in some large scale software endeavors I can say that the process of creating a bug free, full featured product on this magnitude is extremely difficult, especially when the main goal of the customer is to try and find an exploit that you didn't know about (omfg if I eat at a mana biscuit while i have the noggenfogger buff I can walk straight through the wall into the Lich Kings ROOM!). I really don't mind it tbh. Our guild will be excited about the first 4 bosses and when we finally get him down Blizzard will give us the next set. I just wished people realized the scope and effort that goes on behind the scenes getting something on this scale working correctly before just assuming Blizzard is sitting on a flawless copy of 3.3 laughing manically.

Sunwell. Ulduar. Black Temple. Few bugs, you got what was on the box. No BS. This isn't new territory making a huge intricate dungeon full of bosses in Austin. I refuse to say anything about other's opinions on this matter, but the spin makes me nauseous.

Angry Grimace

It will be totally worth it to see the nerd-rage if 3.3 fails to release this week.

Xabora said:
Make a battle.net account, then while in your new battle.net account merge your WoW account with it.

Thanks for that. Merged my Battle.net account with my WoW account, logged in, and clicked the 7-free days of game time thing and...404 file not found? It also says my license is "frozen". Is it supposed to say that?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
There is nothing really wrong with the gating system, what's wrong is the guilds. As of next wednesday night most raiding guilds would have cleared the current ICC content and then you have a few days of .. more togc and maybe ulduar for achievements. YAYS!

Alternatively you could just clear ICC content on wednesday and tell everyone to come back next week for the next set of gating content. Most won't though so you have people who are now bored of Togc/ulduar going back to do it all again because the guild can.

It's why i took a break 1+ month ago even though coming back nothing has changed. We tried mim hard mode last night because our 3rd tank wasn't on for anub H attempts. Playing it from an spriest view instead of a healing priest was interesting, well apart from my bad dps, but it was still old content and i was eh about it.

Angry Grimace

ToyMachine228 said:
Thanks for that. Merged my Battle.net account with my WoW account, logged in, and clicked the 7-free days of game time thing and...404 file not found? It also says my license is "frozen". Is it supposed to say that?
An account you aren't paying for is considered "Frozen"

Angry Grimace

SatelliteOfLove said:
That's more than enough reason, because it's fucking DONE. Game's bleeding out of both ends, faster and easier, and this is the only way to deal with folks like the above and myself who are looking to down the Lich King and are not sticking around past that till Cata as the gear will be the same as you get there, with 3.3 achievements easily farmed later at 85.

It's both mental and emotional, this reason, and it bears mentioning that it is us as individuals saying this, (ESPECIALLY me, due to this idea killing the guild if it gained ground in there...this expansion has been murder for adult casual guilds already). I have a hard time seeing this as anythinge else but that we're just being taken for more $$$, and I'm not cool with that; it's the straw that broke the camels back.

Then there's this.

Sunwell. Ulduar. Black Temple. Few bugs, you got what was on the box. No BS. This isn't new territory making a huge intricate dungeon full of bosses in Austin. I refuse to say anything about other's opinions on this matter, but the spin makes me nauseous.

What?

Understand-Bunny_(Pancake).jpg

Tamanon

Banned
Wait, how has this expansion been murder on adult casual guilds?:lol

If this was set up like BC, adult casual guilds would just be sniffing Ulduar maybe.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:

If this was set up like BC, adult casual guilds would just be sniffing Ulduar maybe.
I got no clue what he was trying to say. It's apparently an attempt to justify "I want it now," apparently laboring under some sort of delusion that the game was ever about giving you everything you wanted right now.

Not to mention using Black Temple and Sunwell as counter-examples is illogical, given that both of these were gated, and the fact is, the one that didn't have physical gates just gated you by lolshadowresist gear-check and an attunement chain.

Xabora

Tamanon said:

No normal modes, all modes hard modes, hard mode, best mode.
Thats how it would be if WoTLK was setup like classic and TBC.

Angry Grimace

I don't think anyone would argue that WotLK has been flawless. The decision to launch with 2 Ony's lair style bosses (which ironically, were both dragons), and Naxxramas as the only real "raid," was a colossal mistake. Ulduar didn't even release for what, 5 months after Wrath shipped

Was it better to release Black Temple when people were barely sniffing the Eye? I don't know about that either. Let's not forget that the Kil'jeaden Encounter released almost a full year after the Black Temple did.

Cipherr

SatelliteOfLove said:

Then there's this.

Sounds like they just dont put out enough content to sate your thirst then. My advice is to quit and go to that other MMO, or that other game that puts out more quality content at a higher rate than WoW does.

Good luck with that search btw....

I love the changes they have made to raiding, and there was gating last expansion too, it cracks me up seeing the outrage. Its like everyone has forgotten.

IcedTea

Okay, let me expand and try and make it sound more rational to you. Gating content is a factitious way to make content last. Whether you get ICC all at once when 3.3 hits, or it is spread out over 3+ months, it is still the same amount of content. The only difference is that Blizzard is forcing everyone to go at their pace. That might work fine for a lot of people, but it isn't for everyone.

Personally, I hate farming content. The only enjoyment I get out of killing a boss (after the first time) is pushing myself to do more dps and improve every time. That gets old pretty quick though. I like to get in, push at the progression bosses, get them down, and be done with it after a month or two. From there people can bring in their alts to gear up or do whatever. If we're short dps on a night then I can come in and help out and maybe pick up a few upgrades, but if not I'm happy to sit.

My problem with the new gating system is that Blizzard won't allow me to do things at my pace at all. Instead of being mostly done with the instance after 2 months, at that point I'd really just be getting started. And at that point I'm probably already sick of the place.

I'm not really trying to argue over this anyways. Me and my guild basically saw how things were going once wotlk launched and we quit raiding by 3.1. The system probably works well for most people, but it didn't for me and my guild, that's all.

IcedTea said:
new gating system
New? lol

Everything is gated in some form no matter what. Few guilds could steamroll through MC or BWL because you'd need fire resist for Ragnaros and shadow capes for Nefarian. It's hilarious reading now about how people expect to roll through this new dungeon in a couple of weeks, because the ability to do that wasn't possible long ago, and it was actually a contentious point argued by many of the exact same people who now say the game is too easy.

Anyway, all of your arguments about "my pace" are stupid because your pace has always been what Blizzard has set it to. It's just less transparent now to you, which is likely just contempt from familiarity.

IcedTea

Anyway, all of your arguments about "my pace" are stupid because your pace has always been what Blizzard has set it to. It's just less transparent now to you, which is likely just contempt from familiarity.
Well, I think your arguments are lolstupid too, so I'm sorry I wasted your time responding to them.

You're correct that 'gating' has always existed to some degree, but that degree is much larger now. And it is not like we enjoyed cockblocks (as we called them back then) when they were in game back then, so I don't think the fact that they existed that long ago means we have to enjoy them now. Anyways, ICC hard modes cannot be done until Arthas is killed on normal mode, and Arthas won't even be unlocked for at least a month (and probably a lot longer, I don't know the specific times). That's a pretty large step up from the time we had to farm BT trash for three or four nights to get Shahraz gear.

Either way, I'm glad you enjoy the new, limited pacing put on the raid game. You're probably a part of the large majority of players that won't have a problem with it. I don't like it, and you obviously do like it, so grats.

thatbox

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Fives-the-Paladin-Hates-the-Blues/Six-Words-that-Terrify-Blizzard
That article is actually extremely accurate, and I bet nobody with any raiding guild leading experience disagrees with much he's saying.

Edit: Also, I've been doing a lot of investigation and debating about mana regen and throughput recently, and I feel like maybe somebody here will be interested. This is what Holy paladin regen looks like in fights where spamming Holy Light nonstop is ideal (taken from this weeks H Twins 25 kill):
anojagdtwinsmanaregen.png

Angry Grimace

IcedTea said:
Okay, let me expand and try and make it sound more rational to you. Gating content is a factitious way to make content last. Whether you get ICC all at once when 3.3 hits, or it is spread out over 3+ months, it is still the same amount of content. The only difference is that Blizzard is forcing everyone to go at their pace. That might work fine for a lot of people, but it isn't for everyone.

Personally, I hate farming content. The only enjoyment I get out of killing a boss (after the first time) is pushing myself to do more dps and improve every time. That gets old pretty quick though. I like to get in, push at the progression bosses, get them down, and be done with it after a month or two. From there people can bring in their alts to gear up or do whatever. If we're short dps on a night then I can come in and help out and maybe pick up a few upgrades, but if not I'm happy to sit.

My problem with the new gating system is that Blizzard won't allow me to do things at my pace at all. Instead of being mostly done with the instance after 2 months, at that point I'd really just be getting started. And at that point I'm probably already sick of the place.

I'm not really trying to argue over this anyways. Me and my guild basically saw how things were going once wotlk launched and we quit raiding by 3.1. The system probably works well for most people, but it didn't for me and my guild, that's all.
Well, Everyone would "enjoy" being able to beat the game on their own schedule and terms, but that entirely misses the point of the game. In fact, it's borderline paradoxical. It reads a bit like saying, "Well, I've finally gotten my 8th character to level 80, but man, I'm not doing another one because I've hate the leveling process." I mean, what have you been doing the whole time you've been playing?

The reasons why your argument in particular is unlikely to be believed is because your argument relies on the assumption that the game hasn't prevented you from progressing at whatever rate you feel like before now. It not only has, but it has done so in the exact same way; Mount Hyjal required an attunement that could not be completed for a set amount of weeks, Black Temple had no set time for it's attunement or gear requirement, but it was as many, if not more weeks than how long it's taking for each ICC tier, and Sunwell Plateau had the exact same gating scheme, and lest we forget, that last gate opened 1 year after Black Temple was released.

Why do you think it took so much longer for first kills to be registered? It wasn't necessarily gear/skill, but the fact that certain elements could not be completed on any given guild's own schedule.

That article goes overboard at times but I have a feeling many people will be parroting those arguments in a few months. I have no problem with gating in general, I just wonder how I'll feel about rehashing the same content just to get to new content two months from now.

Limiting the amounts of tries sounds like more of a problem than gating to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom