• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn after reading that article i have no interest in WoW anymore, I should cancel my account :lol

I guess it all depends on what the guild you're in does. I have no issues paying a monthly fee if i turn up on a wednesday, knock out some attempts on icecrown and return next week. The less time i spend in WoW the better at this point in time. However if i need to spend 4hrs per night 4 nights a week raiding then so be it, i will force myself to go through all that crap again.

Tamanon said:
I don't know where the article is coming from when it talks about "This is all Activision's doing".:lol
I think they're trying to say that gating is a new thing that Activision has put into the game to keep people subscribing for longer to make more money. That, of course, is pure bullshit since this has been happening since the game came out 5 years ago, before 'Activision' had any hold on Blizzard - as mentioned a few posts ago.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Orbitcube said:
I think they're trying to say that gating is a new thing that Activision has put into the game to keep people subscribing for longer to make more money. That, of course, is pure bullshit since this has been happening since the game came out 5 years ago, before 'Activision' had any hold on Blizzard - as mentioned a few posts ago.

Yeah this reads a lot like fanboy qq, but he does make a good point that the only real, new, expansive raid was Ulduar.

I didn't raid at all in TBC, but as far as I know you had Kara, ZA, BT, SSC, SWP as big 'full' raids.

And then you had Gruuls and Mag for those single boss little trash raids.

It definitely sucks.

Wait, how has this expansion been murder on adult casual guilds?

If this was set up like BC, adult casual guilds would just be sniffing Ulduar maybe.

Try Muru, or even ones beyond us standing before a flushed KJ. BC was VERY good to our kind; you didn't need to gear up 55 people in FR/Ony Cloaks/NR/full T2 vvvvvveeerrrryyyyy sssslllloooowwwwlllyyyy. Skill was rewarded, as was guild strength. Now so many in our bracket have eroded from boredom, I wonder how many more will before LK or the HMs get rolling in like March or some shit.

That article goes overboard at times but I have a feeling many people will be parroting those arguments in a few months. I have no problem with gating in general, I just wonder how I'll feel about rehashing the same content just to get to new content two months from now.

Limiting the amounts of tries sounds like more of a problem than gating to me.

I do too. That's why Blizzard is up shit creek without a paddle doing this IMO.

evlcookie said:
Damn after reading that article i have no interest in WoW anymore, I should cancel my account :lol

I guess it all depends on what the guild you're in does. I have no issues paying a monthly fee if i turn up on a wednesday, knock out some attempts on icecrown and return next week. The less time i spend in WoW the better at this point in time. However if i need to spend 4hrs per night 4 nights a week raiding then so be it, i will force myself to go through all that crap again.

This is why I didn't wanna have to post it here, and that I hope it never reaches my guild, shit's dangerous. :lol

I actually heard of that article after I cancelled; I hope to God we're not right, as that would be a huge dick move on their part to me; like I'm being farmed for $$$.

About the last 2 sentences, that's basically the gist here: If I wanna dick around collecting pets, so be it. It's my $15. If I wanna raid for hours at a time, there should be stuff WORTH raiding and NEED it waiting on me, again, for that epinomious $15. I like my freedom in my MMOs, so sue me.

The problem with this is, the game's design flatly states "You'll have to stop raiding now; no HM, no further bosses, no other raid dungeon for you, come back next week for the same stuff until we say you can." Why? That we should take it in small, measly bits? That they're BSing to buy time for Cata by holding the LK hostage? Quite honestly, even resist gear farming wasn't this bad; at least you could go at your own pace on most of that...

Lately I haven't had much time to play WoW, but I think my interest had waned a bit anyway. The sentiment expressed in that article was pretty familiar honestly, although I don't feel quite so bitter and ragey about it. My subscription is only still active because 3.3 was coming, and I want to "finish" wrath by killing Arthas.

At this moment, I'd say that after that I'll stop paying until Cataclysm. So in that respect the gating is a little frustrating. My guild wasn't going to be clearing IC for a long while, but given that we're Oceanic and have some severe connectivity problems in places, the limited attempts in normal are going to be painful.

Eventually we can walk in and stomp the place, and I have other stuff keeping me busy, so I won't be cringing for it. I can certainly understand the complaints though.

Tamanon

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
Try Muru, or even ones beyond us standing before a flushed KJ. BC was VERY good to our kind; you didn't need to gear up 55 people in FR/Ony Cloaks/NR/full T2 vvvvvveeerrrryyyyy sssslllloooowwwwlllyyyy. Skill was rewarded, as was guild strength. Now so many in our bracket have eroded from boredom, I wonder how many more will before LK or the HMs get rolling in like March or some shit.

I do too. That's why Blizzard is up shit creek without a paddle doing this IMO.

This is why I didn't wanna have to post it here, and that I hope it never reaches my guild, shit's dangerous. :lol

I actually heard of that article after I cancelled; I hope to God we're not right, as that would be a huge dick move on their part to me; like I'm being farmed for $$$.

About the last 2 sentences, that's basically the gist here: If I wanna dick around collecting pets, so be it. It's my $15. If I wanna raid for hours at a time, there should be stuff WORTH raiding and NEED it waiting on me, again, for that epinomious $15. I like my freedom in my MMOs, so sue me.

The problem with this is, the game's design flatly states "You'll have to stop raiding now; no HM, no further bosses, no other raid dungeon for you, come back next week for the same stuff until we say you can." Why? That we should take it in small, measly bits? That they're BSing to buy time for Cata by holding the LK hostage? Quite honestly, even resist gear farming wasn't this bad; at least you could go at your own pace on most of that...

I don't get it though, isn't the fact that they hold off on releasing raids period the exact same thing?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fuck looks like we are going to stick to a standard raiding schedule after patch 3.3. Old content ahoy.

Now i really don't want to continue playing even though they need an spriest for 3.3. I've only been back for a few days and i'm already over it :lol

I really need to try and balance my other gaming with raiding along with RL this time around. Hopefully it won't drive me insane.

TomServo

traveler said:
Content lulls are fine. They're natural and should happen. Dragging out a raid instance to the point where players will possible despise the earlier parts before they even get to the end is not. I would much rather unsubscribe to the game satisfied than keep subscribing to experience more repetition with the occasional new content.

This. I'm happy w/ WoW right now, but boredom has set in. I've been in Ulduar since what, April? ToGC loot encouraged us to run the damn thing at least three times a week for iLevel245+ gear. The content is completely stale to me.

evlcookie said:
There is nothing really wrong with the gating system, what's wrong is the guilds. As of next wednesday night most raiding guilds would have cleared the current ICC content and then you have a few days of .. more togc and maybe ulduar for achievements. YAYS!

Alternatively you could just clear ICC content on wednesday and tell everyone to come back next week for the next set of gating content. Most won't though so you have people who are now bored of Togc/ulduar going back to do it all again because the guild can.

And this. One night of new content (while the easymode gating is in effect) a week, then two nights of stale content just to keep my spot on the raiding roster isn't worth it to me.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone who's sticking around. Hell, a close RL friend of mine is in my guild and he's not dropping off the raiding squad - I'm certainly not going to give him shit for it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Johnlenham said:
Wireless keyboard and mouse not an option? :lol I had to get a set ermm 3 years ago for the same reason and there still working now.

Oh and if you use the keyboard for chat.. what in the fucks the point of the controller when you cna do everything else from the keyboard :lol

Dvd case or even just on the duvet works fine with a wireless mouse..
keeblerdrow said:
Teetris, what are the names of your characters and what servers are they on? Just need to know who to avoid, tia.
Evlar said:
I suppose you could start by looking at FFXI's button bindings. That game has menus and other UI functions designed specifically for dual analog, though, so it's doubtful much of it will carry over. If you do manage to get it working I would recommend never bringing it up in /raid...
Jesus Christ :lol. I know this thread is all hardcore players but WoW is played by casuals too you know. I'll take a look at FFXI.

evlcookie said:
I setup a controller for fishing last weekend :lol . Left stick was movement, one of the buttons was to fish, right stick was mouse, another button was right click. Was win for just sitting there and fishing.

You could add more buttons to it all but the only problem was the camera. You need to hold down another button and then use the left stick to get some sort of extra camera movement (essentially right mouse button and mouse movement like you would with a mouse).

I used pinnacle game profiler to set it all up. Required a bit of time, but i can fish without worrying about my wrist getting sore. Although it is a 30 day trial, so i guess i better fish fast :lol
Thanks man, I'll download that. Hope the camera won't be too hard to set up.

Teetris said:
Jesus Christ :lol. I know this thread is all hardcore players but WoW is played by casuals too you know. I'll take a look at FFXI.

Id hardly call myself hardcore:lol havent played since Ulduar but more a person with common sense! Why would you want to use a controller and type with the keyboard when you can do it all on the keyboard:lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Johnlenham said:
Id hardly call myself hardcore:lol havent played since Ulduar but more a person with common sense! Why would you want to use a controller and type with the keyboard when you can do it all on the keyboard:lol
I dunno, I just like the compactness of it. Lots of quests at the same time can be tedious with mouse and keyboard for me. Just helps when you're playing with acontroller.

markot said:
I tried that with other games but mouse doesn't seem to translate that well. Was hoping the other program was better with it.

I don't understand why people keep clearing Ulduar just to fill up their raid schedule. After we clear TotGC I'm happy to take the rest of the week off. As soon as ICC hard-modes are released we'll drop TotGC, if not before.

I'm perfectly fine with gating and limited attempts in ICC. The amount of time we spent in Ulduar the first few weeks was ridiculous and I don't want to do something like that again.

Evlar

Banned
If people are this pissed off over ICC gating I shudder to think of the fits they must have thrown when the AQ event was first outlined. Goddamn Activision, they've been screwing up our WoW since January 2006!

hobart

lol gating haters.

I can see how you "might" have a problem with it if you are one of the world's top guilds... pressured by world firsts (maybe server firsts?)... but outside of that... most of the guilds in the world wouldn't be clearing this instance in the first week....... or even the second. Relax... enjoy the game. There is so much to enjoy in this coming patch... it's gonna keep you busy for a awhile!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
hobart said:
lol gating haters.

I can see how you "might" have a problem with it if you are one of the world's top guilds... pressured by world firsts (maybe server firsts?)... but outside of that... most of the guilds in the world wouldn't be clearing this instance in the first week....... or even the second. Relax... enjoy the game. There is so much to enjoy in this coming patch... it's gonna keep you busy for a awhile!

I play mostly during raid times, if all we have is a little bit of a 100% full raid to play then...why can't we be upset?

Imagine if it was any other game, the thing is 100% there they just want to artificially stretch it out so people don't have it done quicker. They want it done on their time so they can stop those people who will do it once and quit until cata.

hobart said:
lol gating haters.

It sucks and is a money ploy by Blizzard. I doubt my guild would be able to clear the place in the first few weeks, but if and when we do down Saurfang, I'd like to be able to continue the instance that same week. The fact that people are estimating we won't see Arthas until February is a bit disheartening.

LAUGHTREY said:
Imagine if it was any other game, the thing is 100% there they just want to artificially stretch it out so people don't have it done quicker. They want it done on their time so they can stop those people who will do it once and quit until cata.
How are you unable to see that the entire game is like this?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
How are you unable to see that the entire game is like this?

I didn't say it's not? I've only been playing since 2.3, they did it with SWP too.

Does that make it ok?

LAUGHTREY said:
I didn't say it's not? I've only been playing since 2.3, they did it with SWP too.

Does that make it ok?
It's not necessarily okay, but I see it as Blizzard actually trying to fix a problem.

A lot of complainers are whining about how there has been nothing new for a long while and now they have to wait even longer. But how could they not see that the gating is there to fix the content lull problem? Now we'll go from Arthas to whatever's next quicker than if Arthas was down in two weeks.

It's a fix made for the complaining, but the complainers have such a "I want it now" mentality that they'll never agree. You can't have it both ways. Either the problem gets fixed and you have to wait a bit now, or it never gets fixed and we'll just have cycles of whining.

Evlar

Banned
If people want to do it just once and quit until Cataclysm their rational course of action is to cancel now and re-up when Arthas is killable, as TomServo is doing. The "they're doing it to keep people trapped in their subscriptions" argument is undermined by the simple logic that nothing Blizzard has done prevents this straightforward method of avoiding paying during the wait. If you don't want to waste money on WoW while ICC is still gated there's no reason whatsoever you must do so.

Flib

I tried to come back and start playing again to get my raid slot back for Icecrown, but I'm just bored to tears and stopped playing again. I'll probably wait until Arthas is killable and the other raiders are bored before coming back, I just can't raid like I used to.
plus too much Dragon Age

It's been great not raiding, as much as I enjoy it. Getting rid of my backlog and having so much more time to do other things has been liberating.

Flib said:
It's been great not raiding, as much as I enjoy it. Getting rid of my backlog and having so much more time to do other things has been liberating.

Same here. I've been on a two week break from raiding/playing and I'll come back on saturday. There was a time when not raiding at 9pm would make me feel shitty, and I'd be in the library wondering if the guild was killing Yogg or owning hard modes as I did my homework. But now 9pm goes by and I don't even think about raiding nor do I worry about our recruiting or anything. I should be somewhat recharged for tuesday (well actually, whenever the servers are stable lol) despite the fact that some of my guild's biggest problems will probably be magnified with the release of another big raid

Mainly the problems of being a 10 man progression guild. As I've said before we have 12-14 great players but we're plagued by people having crappy schedules and a lack of depth in roles like tanks and especially healers. I expect this to be better during ICC with people coming back to do new content, but that brings up another problem: we essentially have one consistent group of raiders and everyone else is on their own. We've lost more people than we've recruited for a few months now, and our guild leader has done little to address this. If we don't have a consistent second group for ICC, people are going to start bailing fast. I can understand not letting the average-to-good players do TogC or Ulduar hard modes but for a long ass time they didn't get to do normal ToC either.

Our guild leader struck a deal with the best raid guild on our server, basically allowing us to do ToC 25 mans with their awesome alts lol. I thought it was a great idea, and many people got gear and still are I'm assuming...but he did this because he has "no intention of doing ICC 25 man so its time to get 25 mans out your fucking system." Recruiting could help here but we haven't done much of that. My server consists of like 5 amazing raid guilds, a handful of others that get shit done, and then everyone else; we're at the top of that "handful of others that gets shit done" imo, and in great position to move up to the top tier with better focus and guild leadership.

edit: wow i'm taking a break for WoW and still bitching. smh :lol

border

Evlar said:
The "they're doing it to keep people trapped in their subscriptions" argument is undermined by the simple logic that nothing Blizzard has done prevents this straightforward method of avoiding paying during the wait.
Except that most guilds are probably not going to be wild about letting unexperienced players rejoin the fray after sitting out weeks/months of learning.......particularly given that there will be some kind of attempt limit on bosses. If your entire guild signs on for a sabbatical then it's cool but otherwise you look like a freeloader.

I think the number of people that are playing strictly for an Arthas kill has been overstated by raging guild leaders. By the time you even get to that point the scene will have doubtlessly been spoiled 20 times over.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LAUGHTREY said:
Yeah this reads a lot like fanboy qq, but he does make a good point that the only real, new, expansive raid was Ulduar.

I didn't raid at all in TBC, but as far as I know you had Kara, ZA, BT, SSC, SWP as big 'full' raids.

And then you had Gruuls and Mag for those single boss little trash raids.

It definitely sucks.
Ulduar is significantly bigger than any raid that existed in BC. The average number of bosses in those dungeons was somewhere around 5.

Macattk15

Looks like I'm going to make my first talent spec switch on my rogue in 3.3 ... been raiding Combat ever since hitting 80 but the buffs to Mutilate and such just appear to be too much to ignore now.

And from what I hear on the PTR ... It owns.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I think with 3.3 I'm gonna stick with combat, but spec into the stuff that helps poisons on the assassination tree. I just really like playing combat, it might sound lame but it's like a little treat whenever i see the cooldown for adrenaline rush, blade fury, or killing spree up and getting a huge burst on the boss.

The spec I'll probably use in 3.3, found on MMO Champion:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fhe00pLZMgVo0cxqru0xRt

Macattk15

sykoex said:
I think with 3.3 I'm gonna stick with combat, but spec into the stuff that helps poisons on the assassination tree. I just really like playing combat, it might sound lame but it's like a little treat whenever i see the cooldown for adrenaline rush, blade fury, or killing spree up and getting a huge burst on the boss.

The spec I'll probably use in 3.3, found on MMO Champion:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fhe00pLZMgVo0cxqru0xRt

I'm just so bored of combat. Now that I don't even use Rupture ... it's spam SS - Eviscerate - Keep S&D up.

I'm sure Mutilate isn't much different .... but man, Combat feels so boring to me.

Macattk15

Wahhhhhh? Why would you not keep Slice and Dice up as Mutilate? Sure the overall damage is less but it's still a big DPS boost.

Edit : NVM I'm dumb ... completely forgot you only need to apply SnD once and then it just stays refreshed. Lol man ...

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The leveling was nice, the zones were cool, and the events were fun, but on a whole, up until Icecrown we've gotten one legitimate new raid zone: Ulduar. Naxxramas was a retool of old content. Trial of the Grand Crusader was reused models and a reused final boss
:lol

This article is laughable. ToGC Anub'arak doesn't even have the same model as the 5 man version and doesn't share even one ability with him. How is that a "reused" boss? Should they have named him something different?

border

I don't think there's any way to tell just by looking at someone's Armory page, but I'll bet that something like 85% of people who whine that Naxxramas was a rehash never even entered the original Naxx40.

Evlar

Banned
You could check whether they took down C'Thun with an achievement date by 11-13-2008... anyone without that certainly didn't take down KT. There's probably not a more direct way to find out.

EDIT: Fixed.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Evlar said:
You could check whether they took down C'Thun with an achievement date by 11-13-2008... anyone without that certainly didn't take down KJ. There's probably not a more direct way to find out.
Huh?

border

I don't think most of of the classic raid boss kills carried over into the Achievement system.....you had to do that stuff after Achievements were in place. I know people that were in Naxx40, and I see they are missing Achievements for MC, BWL, and AQ.

But yes, I think if there were a way to tell who actually went to Naxx40 people probably wouldn't complain so much that it's been re-used.

Wrekt

dave is ok said:
If someone killed C'Thun before that date, they got the achievement for it and didn't go back to just get the achievement. If someone didn't kill C'Thun in vanilla, they certainly did not kill Kel'Thuzad in vanilla.

Edit: I killed every boss in vanilla up to about 50% through Naxx 1.0. The only achievement I had was C'Thun even though I only killed him once and didn't even get any loot from him. My Warrior was still wearing a weapon from Ragnaros and armor from Nefarion and he didn't get credit for killing either of them.

hobart

Am I missing something? Are the raids that much easier than prior instances that downing the first wing in ICC is something feasible the first week it's out? Maybe I'm too old school (although I certainly don't remember Yogg getting downed on my server in 2 weeks time)... but the first week an instance is out you've got a massive amount of lag issues to deal with....... which is as much as a raid killer as a new boss. And, let's get real here, the majority of guilds will have to work awhile before a few of these bosses are completed. Happens in every instance........ and this is before HMs will be implemented.

Everyone's talking like they are going to be smoking this instance in like, 3 hours. I totally understand why you'd certainly want something right now... but c'mon. It's not like I sit down at a restaurant and order my appetizer, entrée and dessert and expect it all at once. Sure I'm paying for it... but I couldn't possibly eat it all in 20 minutes (maybe some of you? hehe).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
hobart said:
Am I missing something? Are the raids that much easier than prior instances that downing the first wing in ICC is something feasible the first week it's out? Maybe I'm too old school (although I certainly don't remember Yogg getting downed on my server in 2 weeks time)... but the first week an instance is out you've got a massive amount of lag issues to deal with....... which is as much as a raid killer as a new boss. And, let's get real here, the majority of guilds will have to work awhile before a few of these bosses are completed. Happens in every instance........ and this is before HMs will be implemented.

Everyone's talking like they are going to be smoking this instance in like, 3 hours. I totally understand why you'd certainly want something right now... but c'mon. It's not like I sit down at a restaurant and order my appetizer, entrée and dessert and expect it all at once. Sure I'm paying for it... but I couldn't possibly eat it all in 20 minutes (maybe some of you? hehe).
You forgot/must have missed the memo; if Ensidia does something, then for all intents and purposes, the content is now "beaten" and whatever your particular guild's progress is is completely irrelevant.

Tamanon

Banned
hobart said:

It's going to be hilarious when the first "NERF GUNSHIP" posts pop up. Since that fight'll require actual raid coordination along with individual thought. Nevermind how much trouble the vampire lady boss will cause folks as the one or two weak links that most guilds have come back to haunt them.:lol

Belfast

Tamanon said:
It's going to be hilarious when the first "NERF GUNSHIP" posts pop up. Since that fight'll require actual raid coordination along with individual thought. Nevermind how much trouble the vampire lady boss will cause folks as the one or two weak links that most guilds have come back to haunt them.:lol

Honestly, in my experience on the PTR, most guilds are going to have a lot of trouble with Deathbringer. The other bosses are relatively easy.

I anticipate steam-rolling the first three in our 10-man (read: pro) group.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah Saurfang should be hell on raid groups, although at least the 10-man won't require quite as much perfect coordination. Or at least fewer people that could screw up.

hobart

Yah. I feel like everyone thinks they are Ensidia or Death and Taxes... or whomever.

Now... 10m gripes I can actually understand. 10 manning is a lot easier than 25 manning by a long shot. As someone who's completed a Dedicated Insanity run (well, ok... guildmate was wearing the wrong belt!!! Fuck you achievements!)... I can see myself being a little miffed that we'll only be able to run at one wing in ICC. But, hey... gives me more time to explore the new 5 man instances!

But, 25m? C'mon guys... understand that not everyone is good enough to down this content so quickly. I know my guild isn't.

Tamanon

Banned
It's really amazing the drop-off in quality from my raidgroup from the 10-man to the 25-man. We're part of a raid alliance and our 10-mans are outstanding, but when we combine with a couple other 10-man runs, there's like 3 or 4 absolutely awful people. It's not so much dps(although the DK who does 3k dps in 245 gear is pretty putrid), but situational awareness that I have no clue how they handle 10-man content.

Like, to this day I still have no clue how anyone can be hit by Icehowl's charge or Ony's deep breath. It seems almost impossible to me. Maybe I'm trained too much to GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY.

Magnus

http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Fives-the-Paladin-Hates-the-Blues/Six-Words-that-Terrify-Blizzard

I forget who posted that article, but it's spot-on.

The final paragraph is amazing.

"Icecrown is the pinnacle of Warcraft. It's the connection from the end of Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, to World of Warcraft. It's what many people picked up wow to see. Ironically, it's also the pinnacle of Activision's taking over of Blizzard, and turning it into the cash focused beast it is. We've got race changes and faction changes for cash. Vanity pets for cash (which Blizzard is so big about, they give half the money to charity. Half. I guess the other half has to feed their kids, right? Without that panderan, kids all over california whose parents work for Blizzard would starve. Please, either go all-in with charity, or don't bother. It just makes you look duplicitous.). Now we have Arthas *****d out for maximum return. The irony is a bit cheesy, and maybe somewhat obvious, but Icecrown represents a once good entity finally succumbing to a greater power it swore it could control, thus becoming that which was feared most. Blizzard has succumbed to Activision, and it's not long before we won't recognize the former anymore.

That's right Blizzard, you're the Lich King."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom