• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

explodet

I know several servers got Malygos as the first raid weekly, and I can almost hear the Dalaran repair vendors getting much much richer.

A friend said to me regarding the new 5-mans:
"Crowd control? Focus fire? What the hell have you done Blizzard?"

I wasn't sure if he was being ironic or not. I laughed anyway.

Macattk15

Is there a melee dps trinket in the new 5 mans? Haven't looked at the drops much.

I know the 60 Emblems of Frost one sure is sexy for me though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Macattk15 said:
Is there a melee dps trinket in the new 5 mans? Haven't looked at the drops much.

I know the 60 Emblems of Frost one sure is sexy for me though.
A functional clone of the Mjolnir Runestone drops off the last boss in the Forge of Souls, although the proc is inferior in that it's a chance on crit rather than just a hit proc.

Still pretty awesome for a heroic.

edit: beaten

I'm still trying to wrap my head around my guidlie that thinks that haste is a good Ret. Pally stat. He was telling me that haste means "more seal damage," but my understanding is that it's not at all, because the DoT stack of Vengeance is AP based, and the Proc is non-normalized weapon damage based. Even if it was normalized, the weapon damage would be higher on a slow weapon.

I'm going to have to confront him later I think :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Angry Grimace said:
Unless you have something better, but if you did I doubt you'd be looking for badge trinks :lol

The trinket I'm looking to replace is actually fairly nice:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42129

The issue is that all this 232 gear is covered in Hit. COVERED IN IT. I am over 150 over hit cap (no joke), now. When I bought this trink I was doing so to reach cap. Now I'm scrambling to get rid of as much Hit as I can to itemize my shit better :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
GDJustin said:
The trinket I'm looking to replace is actually fairly nice:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42129

The issue is that all this 232 gear is covered in Hit. COVERED IN IT. I am over 150 over hit cap (no joke), now. When I bought this trink I was doing so to reach cap. Now I'm scrambling to get rid of as much Hit as I can to itemize my shit better :lol
Well, that Nevermelting Ice Crystal is a good option since you get straight SP plus a straight ~20% crit+ proc (although it does decrease over time).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The new dungeon finder is amazing. It's really changed the whole game for me, i cant wait to level up my characters when cata hits, and doing all the old-world instances i missed. Wonder if i'll be able to find a dire-maul strat or scholo groups with this system.

Epix

Server 7th

28gwhht.jpg

lordmrw

Scrow said:
what class were you playing?

ah sorry, i was posting from work. I play a combat rogue. I find increasing your dps on trash mobs to be about managing your cooldowns more than anything. Either that or the groups i'm in just suck. I want to believe its the former instead of the latter.

Macattk15

I don't even consider the normal 25 man ICC as progression. Bring on TEH HARD MODEZ!

Trash DPS as Combat? Wut?

Blade Flurry + Killing Spree + 2 Fans = 10k!

Entropia

No One Remembers
I was server 3rd(I think) 10 man kill of Saurfang! :lol :lol :lol

We one shot. WTF?

This stuff seems pretty basic right now. Hopefully heroic pumps it up a bit.
I'll probably be doing ICC25 with my pug group/guild alliance on Monday.

GDJustin

Angry Grimace said:
Well, that Nevermelting Ice Crystal is a good option since you get straight SP plus a straight ~20% crit+ proc (although it does decrease over time).

Yeah it seems like a great one... probably the best non-raid option for me.

Angry Grimace

Lafiel said:
The new dungeon finder is amazing. It's really changed the whole game for me, i cant wait to level up my characters when cata hits, and doing all the old-world instances i missed. Wonder if i'll be able to find a dire-maul strat or scholo groups with this system.
I wonder if it will let you run it without the key.

J-Rzez

So, I missed out on this shadowmourne business and I'm getting conflicting reports. How does this quest begin in a nutshell? Is there a drop from a mob? Or is it a long ass quest chain deal? If it drops, does it drop only in 25-man?

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
So, I missed out on this shadowmourne business and I'm getting conflicting reports. How does this quest begin in a nutshell? Is there a drop from a mob? Or is it a long ass quest chain deal? If it drops, does it drop only in 25-man?
You get the quest once you get the achievement to unlock the dance studio.

Mutilate rogue question. I heard that we are supposed to use Slow/ Fast for maximum procs and poison and whatnot. Now today the heroic FoS dagger dropped and it is signifcantly better then offhand (Titansteel shanker LOL) so I am presuming I will get a great dps boost from having that mainhand and the Black Knight dagger in the offhand even though they are both 1.8speed. I am just making sure I am not missing anything.

Here are the weapons
New Dagger --> http://www.wowwiki.com/Blood_Weeper
Yesterdays New Dagger --->http://thottbot.com/i49682
Dagger from last year ---->http://thottbot.com/i42435

nvm just checked shadowpanther and it is significantly higher then the titansteel forget about my post :lol

Angry Grimace

arts&crafts said:
Mutilate rogue question. I heard that we are supposed to use Slow/ Fast for maximum procs and poison and whatnot. Now today the heroic FoS dagger dropped and it is signifcantly better then offhand (Titansteel shanker LOL) so I am presuming I will get a great dps boost from having that mainhand and the Black Knight dagger in the offhand even though they are both 1.8speed. I am just making sure I am not missing anything.

Here are the weapons
New Dagger --> http://www.wowwiki.com/Blood_Weeper
Yesterdays New Dagger --->http://thottbot.com/i49682
Dagger from last year ---->http://thottbot.com/i42435

nvm just checked shadowpanther and it is significantly higher then the titansteel forget about my post :lol
My recollection is that it really doesn't matter all that much anymore.

Angry Grimace said:
My recollection is that it really doesn't matter all that much anymore.

yea my only real problem is making sure deadly poison is up. On bosses its fine but some times after like a 15second fight with a mob no deadly poison so I can envenom :(

Angry Grimace

vilmer_ said:
Man, I haven't seen a Battered Hilt drop once in over 10 runs! I need to upgrade my Tit Destroyer very badly :/
The drop rate appears to have been lowered.

Epix

J-Rzez said:
The quest becomes available to DKs/Paladins/Warriors once reaching friendly with Ashen Verdict. Then begins the long ass quest chain.

Angry Grimace

Serious Question:

Does anybody know if you can roll on a Battered Hilt if you already completed the Quel'Delar questline? I'd really like to grab it for my alts, obviously, but I'd like to know if I should send it to my non-Heroic Frozen Halls ready Paladin first, or second. I'd also like to know if that means that everyone is going to be need rolling on it until Cataclysm comes out just to sell the fucking thing.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
lordmrw said:
ah sorry, i was posting from work. I play a combat rogue. I find increasing your dps on trash mobs to be about managing your cooldowns more than anything. Either that or the groups i'm in just suck. I want to believe its the former instead of the latter.
sorry, i actually think i asked the wrong question. :lol

what class was HE playing? rogue as well or....?

Quick question, are the instance servers relatively stable now? I quit WoW several months ago but I'm planning on using my 7 free days they sent me to check out the new 5 mans, would I have trouble getting in on a medium pop server this weekend?

GDJustin

I had 6 achievements ding at once this evening o.0

Halls of Lightning
Heroic Halls of Lightning
Fast Loken Kill
Northrend Dungeonmaster
Heroic Northrend Dungeonmaster
Champion of the Frozen Wastes

Evlar

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
Quick question, are the instance servers relatively stable now? I quit WoW several months ago but I'm planning on using my 7 free days they sent me to check out the new 5 mans, would I have trouble getting in on a medium pop server this weekend?
Yes, everything is stable (or was when I last logged on last night). You might see a spike in activity this weekend but overall I would say they have things under control- it's nowhere near the problems they typically have when an expansion is launched.

Angry Grimace

Two nerfs: Mutliate-spec nerfed, Unholy DK nerfed.

Ghostcrawler
After evaluating damage dealt in instances and PvP over the last two days, we are going to deploy three changes. There could always be more along the way. These hotfixes should hit sometime today (Dec 10).

Hunger for Blood now increases damage by 10% instead of 15%. We wanted to increase Assassination rogue damage, and we were succesful, but we overshot the mark. We buffed Hunger for Blood back when Assassination needed a damage boost, so we're more than happy that this talent won't account for such a huge dps increase. Because of the nature of hotfixes, it is unlikely the tooltip will change to 10% right away.

Scourge Strike can now crit only once. The Shadow portion of the damage cannot separately crit. We wanted to keep the double crit mechanic as a way of making Scourge Strike do more than just being an attack that hits for equal part physical and Shadow damage. The change just proved to be too bursty in PvP and provide too much sustained damage in raids. The Shadow portion Scourge Strike will continue to be increased by effects that currently boost Shadow damage.

Rolling Corruptions no longer use the initial haste value indefinitely. This is really more of a bug fix than a nerf. The problem here was that players could inflate the initial cast of Corruption and have the spell tick for that damage indefinitely as long as it was refreshed. This resulted in some "jaw dropping" damage. Technically this was a tricky one to fix but we wanted to keep the Glyph of Quick Decay and were able to ultimately find a solution. When this fix goes live, the hasted Corruption should correct itself to your current haste within a tick or two of the spell being refreshed.

Ideally, we'd rather make changes while we're still in PTR before a patch goes live, but in the end we'd rather make changes than allow something imbalanced to continue just because we didn't change it pre-patch. To the community's credit, some players predicted these issues might become a problem. We appreciate the feedback as always, even if we don't always immediately make changes suggested by the community.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread, but only because it covers three different topics and not because we're trying to limit any response or feedback to this announcement.

PvP - Fucking Shit Up Since 2006™

Initial math on the Scourge Strike nerf is that the spec is now worse than Blood instead of significantly better than either Blood or Frost.

J-Rzez

Epix said:
The quest becomes available to DKs/Paladins/Warriors once reaching friendly with Ashen Verdict. Then begins the long ass quest chain.

Ah ok. That's where you need tons of that saronite then. Thanks.

^ and fuck GC. Unholy was nice again.

Tamanon

Banned
Bah, Marrowgar can be a pain with slow dps on the spikes. Spent the night wiping on him. At least got 930 Ashen Verdict rep, lol.

Meh, the Assassination nerf was needed, and nerfing HfB can only be a good thing for the spec. We're so reliant on HfB, since used to increase our DPS by 18% glyphed. 13% is still high from one talent, but it's much better than it used to be.

Ashodin

Tamanon said:
Bah, Marrowgar can be a pain with slow dps on the spikes. Spent the night wiping on him. At least got 930 Ashen Verdict rep, lol.
Me too, Nerfs are necessary, etc blahblah.

I LOST THE BATTERED HILT ROLL by TWO!!! TO AN ALT!!! </rant>

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:

Ghostcrawler

Initial math on the Scourge Strike nerf is that the spec is now worse than Blood instead of significantly better than either Blood or Frost.
They had a way to fix it, but took the easy route. :|

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Evlar said:
HoR Rage as a Healer

Holy shit, this patch has been the return of "blame the healer for everything." My main is a BE holy priest, and I absolutely love her. She was my first character on my new server, and she's what I'm known by to even my Alliance side peeps. I can puff out my chest a little here and say that I'm a damn good healer and I love my job.

But you assholes who blame me because you BREAK MY SHACKLE CC or REFUSE TO WAIT FOR ME TO DRINK IN H PoS can go to hell.

More often than not, in H HoR, the mages and hunters aim for me. It's not only annoying to take 7-8k firebolts on the nose, but to blame me because I somehow failed to heal through them as the mages are spamming them at me once a second is ludicrous. To top it off, when I say "I'm CCing mages" at the start of the battle then you proceed to break all of my CC, I have a right to leave your group. It takes less than 15 seconds to find another one.

I love this patch because CC is back, and focus fire is back. It feels good to have my wife lay a trap at my feet for CC when something starts running at me, or to shackle again. Sure, playing whack-a-mole is about 10x more stressful since damage is going nuts (but it's much easier with the AoE healing spec I went for), but man it's almost like a return to old instances without all of the annoying trash. Oh, and the big green numbers help too.

The only bad part about this patch is that you have to dispel or heal stuff so fast, you don't really have time to read what all the new enemy abilities do. Didn't even know Scourgelord was healed when I healed people and was under the effects of the brand (or is it when I heal myself? He got a 30k health dump from me either way at some point thanks to GS and a nice GH crit)

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Angry Grimace said:
Got my gearscore up from 2770 to 3860 on my pally in two days so far :lol

Nobody wants anything from these instances. The real key to gearing your guy up is to chain FoS-PoS-HoR on normal over and over, although I had a bitch of a time getting a healer yesterday because some tank from some guild apparently had a bunch of PvP gear and the healers just refused to do it. They are getting really picky now that they can just pop in and out on demand vs. everyone else.

I was dreading healing the new 5s on heroic, but holy hell if the new 5 mans just overly accentuate the relative strengths of Paladin tanks v. other tanks, since they are all multimob beat downs that a) require block and b) require a ton of AoE threat and stuns. I wonder who that sounds like.

Being an unholy DK is no fun in these dungeons with cross realm. You frequently get a guy who refuses to mark who he's attacking and clusters them all together and switches targets every 10 seconds to tab-devastate, and then yells when you AoE. But it's not like many of these tanks are holding aggro anyways, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

I think the problem is that people are approaching these instances like most, if not all of the BC -> WotLK instances, which were nothing but AoE beatdowns. We need a little CC again. People need to start getting used to that. Or maybe I'm talking out of my ass. Who knows.

We got Morrowgar down in a couple of tries last night on 25 but we couldn't get Lady Deathwhisper past phase 1. Who knows when we'll go back. My guild is hellbent on getting 3 Lights in the Darkness to get our pally healer Valnir. And the patch deleted our raid ID we had cleared up to Yogg from last week. /sigh

That fist room in HOR is a bitch. People just make it hard on themselves though. I was doing it tonight with my guild and our tank just refused to let me trap anything. He actually went over and broke my traps. We finally got it when I got mad and told him to mark the targets or something. And that's all it took. A simple kill order and some marking. People have gotten too used to rushing through a heroic in 15 minutes pulling 2 packs of mobs and AOEing everything, not stopping for mana, and not marking anything.

Angry Grimace

Alfarif said:
Holy shit, this patch has been the return of "blame the healer for everything." My main is a BE holy priest, and I absolutely love her. She was my first character on my new server, and she's what I'm known by to even my Alliance side peeps. I can puff out my chest a little here and say that I'm a damn good healer and I love my job.

But you assholes who blame me because you BREAK MY SHACKLE CC or REFUSE TO WAIT FOR ME TO DRINK IN H PoS can go to hell.

More often than not, in H HoR, the mages and hunters aim for me. It's not only annoying to take 7-8k firebolts on the nose, but to blame me because I somehow failed to heal through them as the mages are spamming them at me once a second is ludicrous. To top it off, when I say "I'm CCing mages" at the start of the battle then you proceed to break all of my CC, I have a right to leave your group. It takes less than 15 seconds to find another one.

I love this patch because CC is back, and focus fire is back. It feels good to have my wife lay a trap at my feet for CC when something starts running at me, or to shackle again. Sure, playing whack-a-mole is about 10x more stressful since damage is going nuts (but it's much easier with the AoE healing spec I went for), but man it's almost like a return to old instances without all of the annoying trash. Oh, and the big green numbers help too.

The only bad part about this patch is that you have to dispel or heal stuff so fast, you don't really have time to read what all the new enemy abilities do. Didn't even know Scourgelord was healed when I healed people and was under the effects of the brand (or is it when I heal myself? He got a 30k health dump from me either way at some point thanks to GS and a nice GH crit)
The key to doing those dungeons is that CC makes it easy, and doing it without makes it hard. Seriously. People don't want to shackle and repent, but it makes Marwyn and Falric trivial.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Alfarif said:
I think the problem is that people are approaching these instances like most, if not all of the BC -> WotLK instances, which were nothing but AoE beatdowns. We need a little CC again. People need to start getting used to that. Or maybe I'm talking out of my ass. Who knows.
I remember getting laughed at because I requested some CC when I was running on my Shaman. Fuck those jokers, I'll go heal a better group.

Evlar

Banned
FLEABttn said:
Really? I haven't found that to be the case yet. Haven't had any problems either.
It's most certainly back in the 5-man instances, they quite plainly want people to use CC. Four casters and a melee as the second trash mob pack in FoS, the nasty three-mage groups near the end of PoS, and of course the excruciating gauntlet in HoR all have mechanics that clearly reward successful CC.

Got my Nevermelting Ice Crystal on my first run of Heroic PoS tonight. Such an awesome trinket for Disc priests.

GDJustin said:
The dungeon finder is the best thing to happen to WoW in... a long, long time. I'm talking best feature addition. Maybe the best patch-added feature EVER. I can finally run 5-mans whenever I want <3<3<3

Amen. Plus I just realized I'm collecting triumph badges with my lv77 shaman (using the random LFG quests). :lol

Acosta

Angry Grimace said:

Ghostcrawler

WTF, I was starting to become competitive with the unholy changes, I can't sustain an optimal blood build with my level of AP and the new Unholy had been fantastic for me. They had one fucking month to test it for god's shake.

Bah, I have to respec again, thank you Ghost for another fine mess. EJ is reporting a flat 10% dps decrease. I'm really close of rage cancel my account.

Tamanon said:

Yup, we had more trouble on him than any of the other bosses. Deathwhisperer was a lot easier than I expected; seemed like the dps burned her mana in no time. The last boss was a complete push over as well.

In terms of difficultly do you guys compare the first wing of ICC to the first wing of Ulduar? I remember some tough wipes on XT, and some even more annoying ones on Ignis (before we realized the water could be used to get rid of the kiting). Ultimately Flame Levi means I'll give the nod to ICC, but I was very surprised at how fast we breezed through it.

border

Really gearing up my Death Knight quick now -- I was trying to prep him as a tank, but I think I just may buy all DPS stuff with the badge gear.

border

Alfarif said:
Holy shit, this patch has been the return of "blame the healer for everything."

I love this patch because CC is back, and focus fire is back.

I haven't done Heroic Halls of Reflection, but outside of that I don't see much need for crowd control at all. As long as the group is LoS'ing the waves in HoR, the tank has no trouble picking up aggro on everything. I don't think they'd design half the dungeon around Priest Shackling, though it probably makes it easier.

Blaming the healer is nothing new, I just think that the the LFG tool encourages people to be assholes. When you were playing with people on your own server, there were consequences to pissing off the wrong healer or tank or whatever. Now people assume they'll never see you again so they just do whatever the fuck they want or say whatever the fuck they want (particularly if things are not going well). Tonight I had a fucking boomkin win a Need roll against me on a melee DPS cloak in HoR, whereas previously nobody would have ever rolled Need on an Offspec without at least asking. I see people getting insulted or mocked if they're not pulling the numbers that other players expect; I see group leaders "reserving" certain drops for themselves knowing full well that nobody can quit without eating a Deserter debuff.

That's not to say I'm against LFG Tool, but it certainly has its downsides.

GDJustin

LFG tool needs to build in a reputation system. I'm sure something like that will be implemented eventually. I see what's in place now as rev1. And it's very solid as an initial effort.

There would need to be checks and balances in place to prevent people from mutually downrating each other... but I have faith in Blizz taking their time and getting it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom