• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Son of Godzilla said:
You are supposed to kite Tyrannus? Edit: Oh.
He knocks you back and then gets a buff that makes him "relatively" untankable. Not totally untankable, but if you run back to engage him straight on you won't live most of the time unless you pop a CD (in which case you can be healed through the damage, and Shield Wall/Divine Prot. are longer than the duration of the enrage effect. The key is to just tank him with your back to a fresh frost patch, because he always does that knockback right in front of the enrage so you can kite him around them.

I was leery of tanking the new 5 mans, but they are really quite simple if you are a Paladin because a) Forge of Souls is not harder than any other heroic, really, b) Everything in Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection are Undead and you can pick up stragglers in big packs with Holy Wrath and if you still get pulled off it's probably not your fault after rounding them up in the first place.

The idea that the Hilt is not binded means I just tank it on my Paladin once a day and forget about it after that. I don't need any Triumph gear on my DK so I don't run (although I'm missing out on frost gear, I guess)

JoeFu said:
Oh, haha you're talking about frost? No way I'll ever get enough badges for anything there. I'm talking about the triumph ones where there's nothing :(

I wish I could raid more so I could get some phat lewtz

I have 28 of them on my Paladin and 12 on my DK. I don't play enough to have time to do the Random daily Heroic on all of my characters. The system makes you wait too long as DPS for me to bother.

edit: Apparently, "In the Mountains" is some kind of extremely obscure Thorim related meme and that stupid comment (Perhaps you should have stayed IN THE MOUNTAINS) Tyrannus busts out when you die is some reference to it.

J-Rzez

The only DK tank I've seen since this random dungeon generator took place was whenever I'd tank, they all disappeared for whatever reason. Wars are the vast majority anymore, followed by Pallies, then Droodz, and like said, I have yet to get paired up with a DK tank. And that's on my DK (as DPS duh), Rogue, or Warlock.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Interesting: The developers revealed that Wintergrasp actually has Rubberband AI. I wonder how long this has been in game...the whole time?

Angry Grimace

markot said:
I seem to get mostly pallies, then DKs, then Warriors. Druids are the rarest, only had 1 of em!
Very few druids seem interested in tanking. 90% of the druids I get are Moonkin or Trees.

Fularu

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
He knocks you back and then gets a buff that makes him "relatively" untankable. Not totally untankable, but if you run back to engage him straight on you won't live most of the time unless you pop a CD (in which case you can be healed through the damage, and Shield Wall/Divine Prot. are longer than the duration of the enrage effect. The key is to just tank him with your back to a fresh frost patch, because he always does that knockback right in front of the enrage so you can kite him around them.

His enraged damage is insignificant, you don't have to pop cooldowns unless you have an abnormaly low HP. I tank him just fine and I'm never even close to danger. Hell except for HoR I've tanked the other ICC heroics in half DPS gear. (Older heroics are in full dps gear, that's how easy they are :()

Edit : whenever I'm not tanking (simply because I don't feel like it) I end up with pallies. The few warriors or Ferals I get are so awfull that I usually end up tanking it anyway

Sciz

JoeFu said:
Badge loot for ele shaman suck :( I'm not sure which ring to pick up, the one with the haste, or just the healing one.

Why make stuff so hard for shammies :(
Assuming spellpower to be equal, haste has top priority. Crit is worth something like less than half of haste's dps value, and mp5/spirit are both almost entirely useless.

Tamanon

Banned
I think so few druids tank in LFD because so few druids are allowed to tank in raids. I get almost all Pallies and DKs tanking.

Yaweee

JoeFu said:
Badge loot for ele shaman suck :( I'm not sure which ring to pick up, the one with the haste, or just the healing one.

Why make stuff so hard for shammies :(

Most of the badge stuff is supposed to not be "good", just something off-optimal that's a decent start for the slot. Make sure you go to the vendors East of ToC which have the T9 set pieces.

I don't know what you're coming from or where you gear is at, but there's a crapload of good stuff from the new instances (both normal and heroic), and the T9 set pieces can fill in most of the rest.

At this point, I think my gear is:

232 Helm (Forge of Souls)
232 Neck (with MP5 sadly) from Forge of Souls, but Forge of Souls also has a non-MP5 neck.
T9.235 Shoulders (30 Triumph Emblems)
Some cape I bought with honor points (I can never remember the names, but it was pretty cheap)
Whatever 232 PVP chest you can get with Triumphs (will probably replace with T9, but it has too much hit to be a priority)
226 Bracers from Wintergrasp
T9.245 Gloves (from Archavon's 25, but you can easily dump the lower version in here)
PVP Belt (226?)
235 Boots from Pit of Saron
Onyxia 245 Quest Ring
219 Ring from normal Pit (or Forge). However, it only takes 2~3 hours of grinding trash to get the 251 Ashen Verdict ring, which might be worthwhile.
245 Trinket from Emblems of Triumph with Hit and a Haste activation
213 Trinket from WG, with 111 spellpower and PVP activation. Not optimal, but still decent for PvE.
232 Engraved Gargoyle Femur staff (Pit of Saron)
245 Totem from Triumph badges

Also, a lot of the higher stuff replaced lower (219) stuff from the new instances. There's an awesome caster trinket from Pit of Saron, but good luck with the roll.

I know PVP stuff is frowned upon, but even with the appropriate penalties this set gives a WH score of 2585 or more. Even if you hate the score systems, its still good enough for ToC25 and and potentially ICC10.

Angry Grimace

Fularu said:
His enraged damage is insignificant, you don't have to pop cooldowns unless you have an abnormaly low HP. I tank him just fine and I'm never even close to danger. Hell except for HoR I've tanked the other ICC heroics in half DPS gear. (Older heroics are in full dps gear, that's how easy they are :()

Edit : whenever I'm not tanking (simply because I don't feel like it) I end up with pallies. The few warriors or Ferals I get are so awfull that I usually end up tanking it anyway
You have better healers than I do :lol "Unholy Power - Empowers the caster with dark might, increasing physical damage by 75% but reducing movement speed by 50% for 10 sec." I just kite him to be safe. You can take a hit, but not more than that from what I've noticed. For the record, my guy's health is ~35000 in heroics now, but I tanked him with less before.

Angry Grimace

That crappy Ashen Verdict ring put me at 319 hit =/

WTB moar Crit - less hit pl0x

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
funkmastergeneral said:
Anyone else annoyed by groups wanting to clear all of Pit of Saron trash? Such a waste of time.

I don't remember, but does it give rep of some kind?

None of the groups I've been in have done this, though I do have to tell them that one of the easiest ways to get slaves/get to Garfrost is to just hug the right wall.

Tamanon

Banned
Alfarif said:
I don't remember, but does it give rep of some kind?

None of the groups I've been in have done this, though I do have to tell them that one of the easiest ways to get slaves/get to Garfrost is to just hug the right wall.

It gives shitty useless Frostborn rep, and a chance at the Battered Hilt.

25-man Deathwhisper, retared dps ftl. Barely ever pulling off the boss and wondering why we can't get a wave down before the next.

Cipherr

funkmastergeneral said:
Anyone else annoyed by groups wanting to clear all of Pit of Saron trash? Such a waste of time.

They want as many shots at the Hilt dropping as possible. Its becoming really common since they upped the droprate off the elites a bit, and removed the ability to solo farm them.

I also did a IC rep run tonight, did like 5 clears/resets. Got into friendly and grabbed the ring. The hit rating on it is definitely going to be a problem. I have a single gem with hit on it, and I was at cap, removing only 20 hit is still going to leave me over, just from my gear alone. Terrible.

Puncture said:
They want as many shots at the Hilt dropping as possible. Its becoming really common since they upped the droprate off the elites a bit, and removed the ability to solo farm them.

I also did a IC rep run tonight, did like 5 clears/resets. Got into friendly and grabbed the ring. The hit rating on it is definitely going to be a problem. I have a single gem with hit on it, and I was at cap, removing only 20 hit is still going to leave me over, just from my gear alone. Terrible.

I know why they want to kill the trash. I don't care about the hilt and it adds a lot of time onto what will be a quick run so some DK can get a welfare weapon, and is a huge waste of time.

Tamanon

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
I know why they want to kill the trash. I don't care about the hilt and it adds a lot of time onto what will be a quick run so some DK can get a welfare weapon, and is a huge waste of time.

The hilt is useful for every class, especially for casters considering how damn tough it is to get a weapon with that much spellpower before raiding icecrown.

Cipherr

funkmastergeneral said:

Your going to have to start not running PoS then. Its the most popular because of the amount of trash, and tons of people still need the upgrade, and then they will move on to their alts.

Either that or arrange your Pitt runs for the day through your local server only with like minded folks.

Oh and after that ICC run tonight, man Mut rogues are still crazy.

FLEABttn

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:

Welfare or not, it's the best weapon a number of classes can get in ICC10, pre-Arthas (cause nobody knows what his loot table looks like).

So, tough shit I suppose. Can't fault people for wanting their BiS.

Angry Grimace said:
edit: Apparently, "In the Mountains" is some kind of extremely obscure Thorim related meme and that stupid comment (Perhaps you should have stayed IN THE MOUNTAINS) Tyrannus busts out when you die is some reference to it.

Oh come on, extremely obscure? Thorim says it every damn time you engage. It's easily the most quotable line in Ulduar, probably the whole expansion. Anyways, it's obviously the same voice actor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b30YXoqu_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-BdpHtsCnY

Angry Grimace

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
It gives shitty useless Frostborn rep, and a chance at the Battered Hilt.

25-man Deathwhisper, retared dps ftl. Barely ever pulling off the boss and wondering why we can't get a wave down before the next.
It gives the same rep as every other 5 man. You aren't championing anymore so you probably didn't notice. It just builds every Alliance Vanguard rep one by one if you don't champion anything by wearing a tabard.

Kyoufu

Angry Grimace said:
That crappy Ashen Verdict ring put me at 319 hit =/

WTB moar Crit - less hit pl0x

I hit exalted on thursday night after 2 days of hardcore rep grinding and now I'm at 359 hit lol :(

Kyoufu said:
I hit exalted on thursday night after 2 days of hardcore rep grinding and now I'm at 359 hit lol :(

I want some hit :(

My hunter rides a very thin line on the hitcap and now with a few bits of gear I picked up im like 15 short of being able to take of Grimtoll which is such a pain in the ass. If only I could get my hands on some new shoulders/boots Id be ok :(
My hunter

Edit: and then I learn you can buy T9 gear for badges and get enough hit just from swapping shoulders :)

Angry Grimace

Gonna play with Dual Wield Frost now that I got a Frost Giant's Cleaver...although there's no way I can realistically dump Unholy since I'm the only one bringing Unholy's particular overpowered raid buff.

Kyoufu

Angry Grimace said:
Gonna play with Dual Wield Frost now that I got a Frost Giant's Cleaver...although there's no way I can realistically dump Unholy since I'm the only one bringing Unholy's particular overpowered raid buff.

Curse of Elements?

bengraven

Dungeon Finder rocks. I thought you got the bag of goodies, gold, and achievement for doing ANY dungeon, not a random dungeon though.

That said, we were very satisfied with it. Three of us took our DKs through HF Ramparts and they paired us up with a pallie and priest. We finished in less than 30 minutes.

Cross-server PUGs was a brilliant move on Blizzard's part.

Yaweee

Atrophis said:
Im starting to hate the dungeon finder. So much fail for 2 emblems of frost. Its hardly worth it.

What battlegroup and roll are you in? I don't think I've ever failed my daily random.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Still liking the LFG tool. About the only thing I'm having mixed feelings about are that a lot of people are just trying to run through them as fast as they can. On the one hand, it's nice because we'll get our badges that much faster, but sometimes these people (tanks in particular) aren't paying attention to people's mana. If they want to chain pull, I generally don't mind, but at least let combat drop so I can have a few swigs of a drink, then I'll catch up after. That being said, I was in runs last night where the LFG cooldown was just turning off as we were finishing some dungeons, which was pretty neat.

Also, kinda thinking about dropping shadow for a bit, and going Disc / Holy for instead. Any big reasons why I may not want to bother with this from the priests around here?

Atrophis

Yaweee said:
What battlegroup and roll are you in? I don't think I've ever failed my daily random.

Im a disc priest on Ravencrest EU. Cyclone battlegroup.

There seems to be a lot of fail on some of the other servers in the group.

But to make up for it i just got in a great group and blasted through the new 5 mans. Guess what dropped? :)

WoWScrnShot_121909_201337.jpg

Hmm do quest or sell? :p

Xabora

Atrophis said:
Im a disc priest on Ravencrest EU. Cyclone battlegroup.

There seems to be a lot of fail on some of the other servers in the group.

But to make up for it i just got in a great group and blasted through the new 5 mans. Guess what dropped? :)

Sell.
Buy later when its cheaper?

Tamanon

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

No warlocks or Boomkin?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hit lvl 25 on my RAF Warrior. Would be quicker but our schedules conflict a bit. Any lowbies having success with lower dungeons through the new finder? I haven't had much success. Since I'm a warrior, I figured the sooner I learn how to tank, the better. Any other warriors in the thread experiencing this?

Kintaro said:
Hit lvl 25 on my RAF Warrior. Would be quicker but our schedules conflict a bit. Any lowbies having success with lower dungeons through the new finder? I haven't had much success. Since I'm a warrior, I figured the sooner I learn how to tank, the better. Any other warriors in the thread experiencing this?
I have warrior and paladin tank alts and I have only had instant queues from 15-40.

Angry Grimace

Kyoufu said:
Curse of Elements?
10m guild has no warlocks that are good enough to be in ICC. We have one, but he isn't so hot :lol

No moonkin either.

Hilarious guild blowup today....a Ret pally announced that I HAVE to pass on Saronite Gargoyle Cloak, because it's "obviously a retribution paladin" cloak (because it has haste and he believes that haste is the best stat for Ret. Paladins because it quote "increases seal damage" which it doesn't) and that I'm "lazy" for not farming extra Frost emblems to buy the Emblem cloak instead of Tier gear. I kept telling him haste sucks for Ret. and is not a stack-stat, and he just lost his mind, throwing F-bombs all over the place and screaming about his "seniority" :lol He doesn't believe me that Seal of Vengeance procs aren't normalized. He thinks 3.4 speed weapons are better than 3.6 or 3.7 too. He also doesnt' understand that stacking haste (yes, he gems for it too) means that your Seals just do less damage. :lol

arhra

he believes that haste is the best stat for Ret. Paladins because it quote "increases seal damage" which it doesn't)
It does - more autoattacks means more seal procs (which means more damage). Haste is still a pretty mediocre stat for ret, though (better than ArPen, but worse than just about anything else).

He also doesnt' understand that stacking haste (yes, he gems for it too) means that your Seals just do less damage.
You're confused. Seal procs will do the same damage regardless of how much haste you have. The only seal that scales explicitly with weapon speed at all is SoR, and i'm pretty sure that uses the base unhasted value. Command/Vengeance are both based purely on weapon damage, which doesn't change with haste.

He's still a dumbass, but your reasoning is just as flawed as his. You just happen to come to mostly the right conclusion.

border

Does this asshole also lay claim to any plate with haste on it? I don't see how you can make the case that that one single stat only applies to paladins and not other plate wearers. If he does, you should start denying him rolls on anything that has hit or crit....since those are obviously stats meant for warriors and DKs.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
arhra said:
It does - more autoattacks means more seal procs (which means more damage). Haste is still a pretty mediocre stat for ret, though (better than ArPen, but worse than just about anything else).

You're confused. Seal procs will do the same damage regardless of how much haste you have. The only seal that scales explicitly with weapon speed at all is SoR, and i'm pretty sure that uses the base unhasted value. Command/Vengeance are both based purely on weapon damage, which doesn't change with haste.

He's still a dumbass, but your reasoning is just as flawed as his. You just happen to come to mostly the right conclusion.

He's been doing that a lot lately.

Angry Grimace

arhra said:

No, no no, you're misunderstanding what I meant by "lower seal damage." I didn't mean they do less damage because the weapon damage is lower when you have more haste (the damage range of the weapon is the same regardless of your melee haste), I meant the seal (DoT and proc) do less damage because he's gemming/enchanting haste at the expense of strength and therefore the AP calculations involved in SoV's damage all end up being lower. (Seal of Vengeance's damage is 33% weapon damage + 2.5% AP + 1.3% spell power per tick; and all three of those calculations take into account your attack power). It's true that more white attacks would trigger the Seal more often, but the amount done would be lower each time because his attack power is lower.

Add into this his other attacks which rely on AP (Divine Storm/Crusader Strike, Judgment) are all proportionally lower because he has low attack power.

The big problem here is that he's vastly overestimating the actual amount of haste you get per point of haste rating. Your actual seal damage would probably be overall lower because your attack power and spell power are significantly lower.

border said:
Does this asshole also lay claim to any plate with haste on it? I don't see how you can make the case that that one single stat only applies to paladins and not other plate wearers. If he does, you should start denying him rolls on anything that has hit or crit....since those are obviously stats meant for warriors and DKs.
He does exactly that. He wants them all and he thinks I should farm Emblems to buy the Emblem cloak instead so that he can have the Saronite Cloak.

Cipherr

Pugged a clear of IC25 yesterday night. Couple of wipes on Saurfang but nothing major considering like 70% of us didnt even know most of the fights going in.

The ship battle = Karazan Chess equivalent. Its free loot, we were like "what?" when it was over. Im not even going to clear 10 this week probably, would rather just keep joining rep farm runs until Monday then finally clear it. I love the pug scene on this server.

Puncture said:
Pugged a clear of IC25 yesterday night. Couple of wipes on Saurfang but nothing major considering like 70% of us didnt even know most of the fights going in.

The ship battle = Karazan Chess equivalent. Its free loot, we were like "what?" when it was over. Im not even going to clear 10 this week probably, would rather just keep joining rep farm runs until Monday then finally clear it. I love the pug scene on this server.
Tell me what server you're on. On Thaurissan (Alliance side), you're barely even going to find an ICC10 group besides rep farms. It's a real shame the racial balance on this realm is fucked, cause otherwise Thaurissan is one of the best realms in the US. You've got all these elite guilds, but barely any pug groups.

Atrophis said:

Look at the nub who seriously sells his hilt for 1 copper less than the other hilt on the AH. At 16000g, is 5g or even 100g less reallly that significant? That stuff pisses me off. I wish I could ban the idiots who pull that shit. I always buy the higher priced items when I see that and when I sell things myself I try and really give people a reason to buy my item over someone else's.

I count 72. Yeah, that's a lot of bandages :) I usually keep around a stack on me, but my problem is that I forget I even have them. I almost never think to use bandages anymore. Of course when you play as a prot warrior and you have 40k health, a bandage doesn't do a lot.

Atrophis

jim-jam bongs said:
I'm more intrigued by the huge number of bandages in that priest's bag.

Haha i had a shit load of cloth so thought id raise first aid for the fun of it. Not sure why they are still on my bar :lol

Deputy Moonman said:
I count 72. Yeah, that's a lot of bandages :) I usually keep around a stack on me, but my problem is that I forget I even have them. I almost never think to use bandages anymore. Of course when you play as a prot warrior and you have 40k health, a bandage doesn't do a lot.

I wasn't thinking of that actually, it's just my main is a priest too and we usually don't have much call for bandages :lol

Atrophis said:
Haha i had a shit load of cloth so thought id raise first aid for the fun of it. Not sure why they are still on my bar :lol

:lol

I did the same thing at some point. I think all of mine went in the guild bank so I could get that sick satisfaction that comes from knowing you're healing your guildies without even playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom