• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Xabora said:
BINGO!
Just patchwerk 2.0 with some nice changes, acting as the true gate keeper into ICC for all the fun stuff.

Ranged honestly does all the work in the fight due to add CC and whatnot.
The best thing is when the tank moves him by accident and all the melee DPS are caught off guard. :lol

We had that happen last night. One of the tanks got hit by an add so he took a step back and all of a sudden one of the other tanks call out on Vent: "Hey, where did the boss go?"

Hey GAF, sorry if this question has been posted before (I'm 100% sure it has), but something about searching through the 700-something pages of this thread makes posting a little bit more appealing, and also because the answer may have changed. But anyway, getting to the point, my girlfriend and I thought it would be cool to pick up WoW again, after playing it for a little bit about 2 or 3 years ago. I feel like A LOT has changed since the last time we played, so I was wondering what kind of advice you guys can give me for a newbie like me.

The last time I played I was a rogue, leveled up to about level 65, got to Outlands and stopped. I didn't really end-game that much, and the guild I was in was very small so the instances we ran were just "for practice".

Now, I'm not sure which class to pick. I did enjoy my rogue a lot back in the day, but have they been nerfed since then? I was also thinking about rolling a priest, druid, or hunter, as I was thinking about trying something outside of a pure DPS role. How do these two compare to the rest of the classes in the game, especially for a sort-of beginer like me? Any other input on any of the other classes?

Also, I'm guessing add-ons have probably changed a lot since the last time I've played too. Can any of you guys throw some of their names out there for me to check out? I'm looking for general add-ons like things that can make questing a lot easier or map stuff.

Last question, is there anything like a GAF group/guild going on? I think it'd be pretty cool playing with some of you guys, and maybe learning a thing or two?

Alright thanks for reading all of that, maybe I'll see some of you guys down the road!

Tamanon

Banned
Rogues right now are one of the best DPS classes in the game. They're probably the simplest class to pick up and play again also. Luckily a lot of the things that just help make leveling easier have been built into the game now, like a quest tracker.

Unfortunately GAF is spread out all over the realms.:lol

PhoenixDark said:
looks alright. I want a legendary tanking weapon god dammit :(
thunderfury.gif

?
I think only one guy had that on my old server, he was a badass :lol

lordmrw

Ugh so many fail groups now that there are finally people finally doing Eye of Eternity. Unfortunately, most of the PUG groups I run with did the weekly raid while i was at work tuesday so now I have to try and do it with people I don't know and christ its terrible. 7 attempts yesterday ended in failure. Frustrating as hell knowing I'm doing my part but when Phase 2 & Phase 3 especially occur people devolve into football helmet wearing retards.

Macattk15

The MT of my guild (DK) is getting Shadowmourne first. He bid 21k DKP on it. He had the most DKP in the guild by far and we knew he was saving up for it. Some DPS probably pooping their pants over it but I couldn't care less being a rogue!

Johnlenham said:
thunderfury.gif

?
I think only one guy had that on my old server, he was a badass :lol
Man, remember when stats were so simple? +5 agility is just laughable, and not a hint of dodge, parry or block to be seen. And of course the practically useless +resist stats on them.

Tamanon

Banned
Orbitcube said:
Man, remember when stats were so simple? +5 agility is just laughable, and not a hint of dodge, parry or block to be seen. And of course the practically useless +resist stats on them.

Yeah, I remember that awesome Spirit on Warrior Tier 0.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
Lol. That was the first thing I saw... hmmph. Anyways, can't unsee it once you do, kinda like going through Disney movies and seeing things that are "off".

Man, I've been farming frost badges on my main and my alts to try and save up for saronites for Shadowmourne. Should've kept doing my dailies just to buy the damn things.

EDIT: Also, Deathbringer Saurfang or however you spell it maybe one of the most boring fights ever as melee DPS. I just sit there and grind away at my rotations without a care of anything else. I windowed my screen most of the time to read while doing said fight. It's a melee dps players wet dream for epeen meter battles.
The only reason melee DPSers jack off to Patchwerk more is becuase it takes less time to kill Patchwerk so their numbers are more disproportionately affected by Bloodlust :lol

Angry Grimace said:
The only reason melee DPSers jack off to Patchwerk more is becuase it takes less time to kill Patchwerk so their numbers are more disproportionately affected by Bloodlust :lol

What? Melee dps love Patchwerk and Saurfang because we don't have to move.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
PhoenixDark said:
looks alright. I want a legendary tanking weapon god dammit :(
Level a Death Knight and put the tanking rune on Shadowmourne :lol

What? Melee dps love Patchwerk and Saurfang because we don't have to move.
Well, duh. But your numbers will always be higher on Patchwerk because he dies in 80 seconds.

yacobod

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

short time durations inflate everyones dps, its not exclusive to melee

and prior to 3.1 fury warriors were the undisputed patchwerk kings, could pull almost 7k dps on patch with dual betrayers, back then that was impressive

Angry Grimace

yacobod said:
short time durations inflate everyones dps, its not exclusive to melee

and prior to 3.1 fury warriors were the undisputed patchwerk kings, could pull almost 7k dps on patch with dual betrayers, back then that was impressive
The comparison was to Saurfang, in which only Melee get to treat him like a test dummy, and 3.0.8 Fury Warriors were completely overpowered.

That completely justified nerf is why there are *shock* actually Arms warriors in PvE now.

Xabora

Not mine, found this elsewhere.
2cnk3zt.png

Someone slowfalled down to it, but it shows how many attempts left until retreat at the Frostmourne Room.

Angry Grimace

A player who found that WoW wasn't Korean-Grindfest enough for him, went ahead and added it by reaching level 80, with:

* No death
* No questing
* No instances, BGs or Arenas
* No mounts or flight paths
* No professions
* No loot
* Just grinding.

Loser.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Angry Grimace said:
A player who found that WoW wasn't Korean-Grindfest enough for him, went ahead and added it by reaching level 80, with:

* No death
* No questing
* No professions
* No loot
* Just grinding.

Loser.

I actually would have had a good chuckle if Blizzard put an undocumented achievement in there for doing that, which gave the first person who did it on a server some crazy awesome mount or whatever. Just for the "Wuh?" factor. Or conversely the achievement could automatically delete the character within 30 seconds of dinging 80, cancel account, and trigger billing to mail the person a free copy of Lineage with a note that says, "We don't want you here. Hugs and kisses, Blizzard." :p

Orbitcube said:
My favourite was working my arse off to get Rok/Lok and then having to enchant Lok to even get any raw AP from it. Oh and I loved +AP against demons when the next instance was all dragons.

border

I think I am done grinding the Icecrown Heroics for a chance at the Battered Hilt. They claim to have upped the droprate but I still haven't seen it a single time. I feel like I would be better off just running dailies with all my characters and using the revenue from that to fund an Auction House purchase. I already have 10K together, and prices will probably fall below 15K in a couple weeks (they are around 20K now on my server).

Xabora said:
Not mine, found this elsewhere.
2cnk3zt.png

Someone slowfalled down to it, but it shows how many attempts left until retreat at the Frostmourne Room.
I've seen a video of what I assume is the same thing. Pretty interesting, especially with the insta-kill damage once you actually zone into the Frozen Throne. I also find interesting that the Frozen Throne is on a completely different part of the ICC map, but I guess that makes sense with all the weird shit they're probably going to do with the fight.

border

Tamanon said:
Or just run Icecrown 10 man, and get a weapon of the exact same ilevel.
Don't really have a group to run it with, it doesn't seem like there's any pugs running yet......plus I hear that the Battered Hilt quest chain is pretty cool.

Been running the three ICC Heroics for a Hilt like crazy, saw one drop, a guildee won it and sold it...Now a guildee happened to see one on the AH for 11 gold and bought it out. Not 11,000. 11 gold. Once the the guy realized he sold it for 11g, he whispered the buyer and tried to buy it back but no dice.:lol Funny, but I want one so bad dammit.

border

The worst Auction House mistake I ever made was probably just pricing some Spellthread about 100g under the going rate -- never anything as bad as that :lol

I'm such a stupid sucker, if I had bought that Battered Hilt I probably would have offered to sell it back to the mistaken seller for half the going rate......or offered to sell it myself and split the profits.

Running the Icecrown Heroics would be worth it if there were still anything out of there that my DK needed.....but at this point I'm going strictly for the Hilt, and it probably eats 2-3 hours out of my night to do them all (if you include the time spent waiting in LFG queue). At this point I think that time would be better spent just saving money.

J-Rzez

ToyMachine228 said:
Been running the three ICC Heroics for a Hilt like crazy, saw one drop, a guildee won it and sold it...Now a guildee happened to see one on the AH for 11 gold and bought it out. Not 11,000. 11 gold. Once the the guy realized he sold it for 11g, he whispered the buyer and tried to buy it back but no dice.:lol Funny, but I want one so bad dammit.

Wow, that really sucks to be that guy.

I ran those new instances so many times on 3 different toons, I have yet to see a hilt drop. Oh well, I got that claymore from ICC to hold me over until the new wings open up and I can get my Shadow's Edge.

What a bitch it is for those primordial saronites. I've been trying to do the daily randoms and such on each of my toons so I can pick up as many saronites from emblems as possible, not going broke buying them all via gold. 25 is way too many. 10 or 15 tops sounds better to me lol.

McNei1y

So after about 2 weeks, Blizzard finally responded to my compromised account issue and gave me this offer:

100 Emblem of Triumphs
20 Emblem of Frost
2500 gold
and Restored all my characters

The lucky thing is my main wasn't deleted so I was able to upgrade him 2 pieces I desperately needed but didn't want to farm random heroics....

Anyway, the thing that sucks is that I have 6 newly restored characters.... ALL OF THEM NAKED. NO GEAR. Nothing.

The only thing I can do is keep the offer they gave me and ignore the naked issue and figure it out somehow. To resolve it, I reject the offer and put it back in the compromise queue.

Like I understand giving someone all of that stuff is a really nice gift but do they just expect me to look the other way when my guys are naked and I can't get them a single item?

McNei1y

Son of Godzilla said:
AH is thataway?

I understand that, its just a pain buying overpriced greens when they could just give me greens. Its hard to gear up without any gear aside from the fact its hard to find the pieces you need in the AH.

McNei1y said:
So after about 2 weeks, Blizzard finally responded to my compromised account issue and gave me this offer:

100 Emblem of Triumphs
20 Emblem of Frost
2500 gold
and Restored all my characters

The lucky thing is my main wasn't deleted so I was able to upgrade him 2 pieces I desperately needed but didn't want to farm random heroics....

So were you hacked and the guys stripped all your toons to bare ass naked apart from your main?

I got an ingame response from the GM a few days ago saying they were looking into it, wtf is to look into I was hacked, they confirmed it and now im rocking 500G instead of 4k and I have enchants and such to buy!

McNei1y

Johnlenham said:
So were you hacked and the guys stripped all your toons to bare ass naked apart from your main?

I got an ingame response from the GM a few days ago saying they were looking into it, wtf is to look into I was hacked, they confirmed it and now im rocking 500G instead of 4k and I have enchants and such to buy!

Yea, I was away from my account for about 6 months. Id always check my main on armory to see if it was still active but I would always forget to check my toons. I then typed in their names and the guild I was in with my Refer a Friend characters and they were all gone except for my 68 rogue. I was saving up for an epic flyer at the time and he sent all my gold away, deleted all my alts and thats about it. I think he was trying to keep my main to sell or something but I'm glad he isnt gone.

I'm just mad I need to spend that 2.5k g they sent to buy my alts gear. I was trying to get an epic flyer and enchants like you said. Such a bummer.

McNei1y said:
Yea, I was away from my account for about 6 months. Id always check my main on armory to see if it was still active but I would always forget to check my toons. I then typed in their names and the guild I was in with my Refer a Friend characters and they were all gone except for my 68 rogue. I was saving up for an epic flyer at the time and he sent all my gold away, deleted all my alts and thats about it. I think he was trying to keep my main to sell or something but I'm glad he isnt gone.

I'm just mad I need to spend that 2.5k g they sent to buy my alts gear. I was trying to get an epic flyer and enchants like you said. Such a bummer.

Oh right, that sucks. Not to mention AH gear is rubbish compared ot blues and such youd have picked up.

Just been turned away from a Heroic ToC 10 man because "they want experienced people(ive done normal 10 its the same right?) and 5kdps which he just assumed I cant do based of god knows.
How annoying.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Angry Grimace said:

* No death
* No questing
* No professions
* No loot
* Just grinding.

Loser.

Christ you're retarded. I'm finally putting you on ignore.

McNei1y

Johnlenham said:
Oh right, that sucks. Not to mention AH gear is rubbish compared ot blues and such youd have picked up.

Just been turned away from a Heroic ToC 10 man because "they want experienced people(ive done normal 10 its the same right?) and 5kdps which he just assumed I cant do based of god knows.
How annoying.

That's garbage. I wish they had cross-realm raids for reasons like that, so it isn't so picky.

I only do 3.1k dps because I still need to replace rings my main wep and another piece but I am trying to do some raids to atleast get them in before Cata... which I can't wait for any longer.

Cipherr

Johnlenham said:

How annoying.

Heroic Toc is most certainly not the same thing as normal. It has a higher difficulty, and not just marginally. Assuming all of your dps can consistantly pull 5k (and thats without 25man raid buffs with which its much easier to hit those numbers) then you shouldnt have a problem at least getting beasts down, but When it comes time to dps portals volcanos, work the champ (which are unbelievably harder in heroic, the dps absolutely RAPES YOUR healers it is unreal) and Anubs swarm being 20% rather than 10% and it becomes damn near impossible without a group of experiences well played, well geared, phenomenally coordinated 'raiders'. Your just not going to have a lot of success pugging that.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Johnlenham said:

How annoying.

Highlighted is why they don't want to bring people like you.

If they wanted to carry dumb people or teach them the fights they'd be in the guild. You obviously don't know that the fights are extremely different, so If you ever want to do them I suggest you stop being a mooch and go to tankspot.com

People who don't put in the same effort as other people absolutely enrage me, why does everyone else have to know the fights and the strategy, but you don't. You should check your sense of entitlement in the corner. They don't have to take you if they don't want to.

Puncture said:
Heroic Toc is most certainly not the same thing as normal. It has a higher difficulty, and not just marginally. Assuming all of your dps can consistantly pull 5k (and thats without 25man raid buffs with which its much easier to hit those numbers) then you shouldnt have a problem at least getting beasts down, but When it comes time to dps portals volcanos, work the champ (which are unbelievably harder in heroic, the dps absolutely RAPES YOUR healers it is unreal) and Anubs swarm being 20% rather than 10% and it becomes damn near impossible without a group of experiences well played, well geared, phenomenally coordinated 'raiders'. Your just not going to have a lot of success pugging that.
o_O
Well from what I read it just said the bosses have more HP and hit for more, both neither really affect me but I guess not! I was doing roughly 5k in 10man which only had Bom,BoK and horn of winter as it was full of locks and pallys but thats all ive got to go on really.

LAUGHTREY said:
Highlighted is why they don't want to bring people like you.

If they wanted to carry dumb people or teach them the fights they'd be in the guild. You obviously don't know that the fights are extremely different, so If you ever want to do them I suggest you stop being a mooch and go to tankspot.com

People who don't put in the same effort as other people absolutely enrage me, why does everyone else have to know the fights and the strategy, but you don't. You should check your sense of entitlement in the corner. They don't have to take you if they don't want to.
What makes me dumb? that I googled if there was a difference and everything said more hp/more damage just like Naxx.

I come, shot shit and stay out of the fire. I know what needs to die first in all the encounters, when to change from dark to light, who to CC with ice traps and such in faction champs blah blah blah

Ah well guess ill go read up.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Johnlenham said:
o_O
Well from what I read it just said the bosses have more HP and hit for more, both neither really affect me but I guess not! I was doing roughly 5k in 10man which only had Bom,BoK and horn of winter as it was full of locks and pallys but thats all ive got to go on really.

You need to read more then, you're sadly mistaken that that is all that is different.

Now do you understand why they want experienced players? Would you feel like taking more time and hassle just to do a raid that you already know, but other people don't even bother learning the correct strategies?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Johnlenham said:
o_O

What makes me dumb?
that I googled if there was a difference and everything said more hp/more damage just like Naxx.

I come, shot shit and stay out of the fire. I know what needs to die first in all the encounters, when to change from dark to light, who to CC with ice traps and such in faction champs blah blah blah

Ah well guess ill go read up.

Because you said "Wah wah they won't bring me to the raid and explain everything to me, they're so mean for wanting to get things done." Join a guild you freakin baby.

And what the hell? More hp more damage like Naxx? Naxx didn't have hard modes! You're confusing 10 and 25 man! You don't even know what you're talking about!

Tankspot.com
Wowwiki.com
mmo-champion.com
wow.com

fucking read up if you want to do the hard shit, otherwise don't complain that good people don't want to put you in their backpack and carry you to victory.

Yaweee

The Northrend Beasts show up on a timer in Heroic mode, so if you don't kill them quick enough you'll have to fight them and the next boss at the same time. This makes it very DPS sensitive.

LAUGHTREY said:
Because you said "Wah wah they won't bring me to the raid and explain everything to me, they're so mean for wanting to get things done." Join a guild you freakin baby.

And what the hell? More hp more damage like Naxx? Naxx didn't have hard modes! You're confusing 10 and 25 man! You don't even know what you're talking about!

Tankspot.com
Wowwiki.com
mmo-champion.com
wow.com

fucking read up if you want to do the hard shit, otherwise don't complain that good people don't want to put you in their backpack and carry you to victory.

Hahaha overreact much Holy hell your a miserable git today :lol
I mixed up Naxx with Ulduar,granted I only ever did 25 man but still.

I haven't joined a guild because
1. I was in the best one on the server when Ulduar was out, 2nd best hunter in the guild and I quit WoW when we got to Genral as Rl got real busy, when I came back a month into ToGC my gear was outdated and there was no way for me to raid with them anymore.

2. My Rl is far more important than this game and I usually busy with Gym/work/seeing Gf etc to make time for a raid at a set time so I havent bothered to apply to a new one.

Granted this is aimed at a Tank but still
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/58804-difference-between-toc-10-togc-10-a.html

Northrend beasts basically just hits harder so managing your cooldowns and external cooldowns is important. You might also need good communication with the other tank if dps:ers are slacking and the bosses are gonna overlap.

Jaraxxus doesn't change much but if your offtanking you need to pick up the mistress quickly because melee are probably nuking the portal too and might get gibbed otherwise. You can't stun the infernals on heroic so people actually have to move out of the AoE.

From a tanking perspective The Twins are exactly the same on heroic unless you use some exotic tactic.

Anub'arak is the only fight that changes drastically on heroic. In 10 man you'll get two Burrowers instead of one (4 on 25 man). The Burrowers also keep spawning after 30% so no slacking for the offtank here. And to top it all of you only have 6 patches of ice to use for the whole fig

Heres one for a Healer
NRB
impaler impales for more, slowly enrages with each snobold thrown out, so basically a soft enrage
worms hit for more, poison slows faster, aoe hits for more
icehowl hits harder, frozen people take more damage per tick, you don't get speed boost after stomp

Jaraxxus
portal and volcano are targetable and need to be destroyed asap
maidens spin does 100% damage
maiden casts a silence
infernos can't be banished.

Faction champion
they just hit harder and have more HP

Twin Valks
high harder, orbs explode for more, bubble has higher HP

Anub
limited frost patches, adds cast a shadowstep that kills that needs to be interrupted, P3 siphons 20% HP per tick instead of 10, hits harder.

So basically Portals and volcanoes need to be destroyed, thats how diffrent it is for a ranged dps.

Johnlenham said:
Faction champion
they just hit harder and have more HP

Not really the defining part of FC hard-mode. The fact that they're untauntable is really the key to determining your strat, as it's the main reason squishy little priests get gibbed 5 seconds into the fight.

jim-jam bongs said:
Not really the defining part of FC hard-mode. The fact that they're untauntable is really the key to determining your strat, as it's the main reason squishy little priests get gibbed 5 seconds into the fight.

True but assuming that I have half a brain atleast I personally would be chucking out frost/freeze traps around squishy folks but that one allways seemed abit like organised chaos to me.
Picked up my friendly Icc ring after a few hours of horribly boring grinding but atleast it was a nice upgrade! the proc version looks really nice aswell.

Cipherr

Johnlenham said:
True but assuming that I have half a brain atleast I personally would be chucking out frost/freeze traps around squishy folks but that one allways seemed abit like organised chaos to me.
Picked up my friendly Icc ring after a few hours of horribly boring grinding but atleast it was a nice upgrade! the proc version looks really nice aswell.

Yeah I like it too, I do however wish there was a AGI STA / ArP AP Crit one though. The excessive hit rating on it is driving me mad. I have zero hit rating gemmed on my hunter and Im still sitting at 274 hit rating. I hate being over the cap, it drives me mad.

Puncture said:
Yeah I like it too, I do however wish there was a AGI STA / ArP AP Crit one though. The excessive hit rating on it is driving me mad. I have zero hit rating gemmed on my hunter and Im still sitting at 274 hit rating. I hate being over the cap, it drives me mad.

If Blizz decided to put armor pen on the ring too I would just give up my enhance shaman. We're already stuck with filthy armor pen on nearly every mail drop in ICC...

Cipherr

funkmastergeneral said:
If Blizz decided to put armor pen on the ring too I would just give up my enhance shaman. We're already stuck with filthy armor pen on nearly every mail drop in ICC...

No im talking about Blizzards discussion of finding a workaround to the 4 or 6 item quest limit for that type of item, thus allowing them to add other types. There was a thread about it on the forums. I was hoping that if they did decide to add, for example, another quest giver that was linked to the original in some way, that they would include subtle variations like ArP. The item budget are just to high at this point in an expansion, items with hit on them always have a TON of it. It becomes a back and forth game when finding your BiS where you avoid almost everything you can with hit rating on it and still end up capped or over. Its just crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom