• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatbox

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
You didn't mention SW : D - is it like Mr Nash said; just slip it in between whenever you can?
Cast SW:D to fill in 1-GCD blanks. For example, usually in between Mind Blasts you get two Mind Flays in. That's 4 GCDs. If you need to refresh VT, you're going to do something like MB>MF>VT, and then you have an extra GCD before MB is ready to go. So you'd cast SW:D to fill in the blank, making it MB>MF>VT>SW:D>MB. This all depends on your haste and talented MB CD, but that's basically what it amounts to.

Anyone want to do RaF? You recruit me, I'll buy the key. I can play a lot since I'm on break, but I'd prefer if you could run us through instances either on your main or from a friend/guildie. I've tried this twice, bought two keys and got bailed on both times, serious people only, this won't take long. I'm in the U.S. too, so no Aussie or euro servers sorry. PM me if interested. :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jim-jam bongs said:
Awesome, thanks heaps mate that's exactly what I was after. I'm pretty sure I've been clipping my DP and VT pretty badly. I'll also start using my anti-clipping MF macro again, which is basically just "if !casting { cast() } else { return }".

One thing that stood out a lot was casting SW:p last; I usually get all my DOTs up as a priority because DOT-uptime = a good thing. I had NO idea it was only going to recieve the contribution of whatever was up when it was cast. I think that's been making a reasonable impact too.

You didn't mention SW : D - is it like Mr Nash said; just slip it in between whenever you can?

I did get to clear ICC10 last night with a mix of guild and friends who were about. When we got to SF they got me to go shadow and work on one side of the adds with a mage. Finally managed to break 4k DPS with basic raid buffs and no flask, and while switching targets back and forth.

Overall not the biggest contribution; I was 2nd last on DPS, and the last guy was an enh shaman who went ele for the adds. Still, I haven't really DPS-ed a raid since AQ40 so I was pretty happy with that.
SW: D is what you cast when you are moving. The only other time it's DPS is going to be higher than just channeling a full mind flay is if there's less than one GCD on your mind blast cooldown or if you are moving.

Akim

Banned
So apparently I can't talk about bannings and then call someone a dumb bimbo.

2n6c21d.jpg

border

MMO-Champion has posted spoilers about the Lich King fight, though some aspects of them are highly speculative. They got pretty much all the Cataclysm stuff right so I gotta imagine they are dead on with this.

Even though the outcome of the fight against Arthas was pretty much telegraphed in Halls of Reflection it does seem a bit lame that
this whole expansion was supposed to be about the Lich King, and all they are going to do is replace him with some other dude. Kill him or redeem him -- but why even bother with it at all if you aren't going to change the status quo?

Akim said:
So apparently I can't talk about bannings and then call someone a dumb bimbo.

2n6c21d.jpg
It was a such a harsh comment too. That's ridiculous imo.

I got a 3 month ban from the bungie forums because I said that bungie was a lying sack of trash once. but that was a while ago lol.

border said:
MMO-Champion has posted spoilers about the Lich King fight, though some aspects of them are highly speculative. They got pretty much all the Cataclysm stuff right so I gotta imagine they are dead on with this.

Even though the outcome of the fight against Arthas was pretty much telegraphed in Halls of Reflection it does seem a bit lame that
this whole expansion was supposed to be about the Lich King, and all they are going to do is replace him with some other dude. Kill him or redeem him -- but why even bother with it at all if you aren't going to change the status quo?

I agree, it sounds very stupid and is a horrible cop out ending. Kind of like watching an entire TV show just to find out that it was all just a dream.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
funkmastergeneral said:
I agree, it sounds very stupid and is a horrible cop out ending. Kind of like watching an entire TV show just to find out that it was all just a dream.

Well, except for Bob Newhart. He knew how to do it right.

The biggest cop out is that, thanks to the HoR part, they're totally going to try and say that
Arthas was really helping the world by what he did and then make him seem like a hero. I can fucking tell they are.
Also, I read the Arthas: Rise of the Lich King novel (lol), and at the end
Lich King totally blocks out Ner'zhul from his conscience, so basically it's saying that the Lich King is only Arthas at this point
. This storyline is just going to end badly, I can tell.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any reasons why i can't post on the WoW forums? It happened twice in the last month, it says either my account has expired or i'm prohibited from posting. I know for sure my account isn't expired but why would i be prohibited from posting? I never call people retards or dumbasses or whatever, so i really don't get it. =/

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Orbitcube said:
The biggest cop out is that, thanks to the HoR part, they're totally going to try and say that
Arthas was really helping the world by what he did and then make him seem like a hero. I can fucking tell they are.
Also, I read the Arthas: Rise of the Lich King novel (lol), and at the end
Lich King totally blocks out Ner'zhul from his conscience, so basically it's saying that the Lich King is only Arthas at this point
. This storyline is just going to end badly, I can tell.

Well Arthas never really went to the dark side per se, he was right to purge stratholme but only because hindsight, at the time they didn't know for sure there was no cure and no alternative he sorta got lucky on that one.

And he said right until he touched Frostmourne, to do it only to help his people. He made what he saw as a sacrifice, he got unlucky in that it was a trick all along.

So I can see how it is him holding back the undead. They're really only focused on one continent for four years, they've never made a real attack in Kal/EK.

The Lich king is the worst or more evil parts of both arthas and ner'zhul. The being that was the orc warlock is no longer there, same for arthas.

Bisnic said:
Is there any reasons why i can't post on the WoW forums? It happened twice in the last month, it says either my account has expired or i'm prohibited from posting. I know for sure my account isn't expired but why would i be prohibited from posting? I never call people retards or dumbasses or whatever, so i really don't get it. =/
That's weird. Yesterday it said my account was frozen, but today it's fine. You might email blizzard about it.

Akim

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
A travesty. Name-calling adds so much to the discussion!

I don't see why I can't call someone names, especially when said person isn't even in the thread. Come on now.

you dumb bimbo

WoW lore is so unbelievably stupid there's no point at all in following it.

We've been murdering undead for over a year now and they seriously went for the Beware The Zombie Army shit?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
funkmastergeneral said:
Finally got my paladin defense capped so I can start tanking heroics, and in the first dungeon I jump into people are whining at I only have 25k HP

:(

Ignore them, A lot of WoW players seem to think the game is difficult. :lol

Bisnic

funkmastergeneral said:
Finally got my paladin defense capped so I can start tanking heroics, and in the first dungeon I jump into people are whining at I only have 25k HP

Well, when DPS plate classes with triumph gear can get 30k HP with buffs such as fortitude or kings... people sorta expect every tank to be over that... i know, kinda stupid. I had a tank with 22k hp unbuff the other day with my mage who easily do 4.5k DPS in heroics, and he didn't have much trouble keeping aggro against me or simply tanking it. Of course, it was H Nexus, not something like H POS.

FLEABttn

Banned
As long as you're not doing maybe the ICC5 heroics, you'll be fine. I could tank H ToC with 26k.

People just have really weird expectations these days over gear requirements.

Hixx

Bisnic said:

Silly forum quirk where if your account is due a payment and for some reason they take it out late, you cant use the forums, yet can play the game.

FLEABttn said:
As long as you're not doing maybe the ICC5 heroics, you'll be fine. I could tank H ToC with 26k.

People just have really weird expectations these days over gear requirements.
Yeah I've healed a 25k paladin through H TOC.

If I inspect and see he has a bunch of defense and stam gear and enchants, I don't complain. Everyone has to start somewhere. And if you have trouble healing anyone that can't be critted, I'd blame the healer before the tank.

CassSept

I just wanted to say that I'm amused to find that after I got "Looking for Multitudes" achievment I've been Xzibit'd by Blizzard.
Nice.

Bisnic

CassSept said:
I just wanted to say that I'm amused to find that after I got "Looking for Multitudes" achievment I've been Xzibit'd by Blizzard.
Nice.

Yeah, i did smile when i read the letter coming with the pet.

"In short, we heard that you like pugs. So here's a pug for your pug, so you can pug while you pug. Or something." :lol

funkmastergeneral said:

I took my pally from 22k to 30k unbuffed in the last few days. 25k is fine for mostly anything non-ICC. I recommend doing normal ToC for the tanking trinket if you ain't got it. It's also difficult enough to get you comfortable with tanking.

Forge of Souls is easy as hell too btw. Don't be afraid of jumping right in. I accidentally did it on Heroic thinking it was normal. Pitt can be hard with those last few packs and the final boss but it's still pretty easy. Stay away from HoR till you think you are ready.

border

Spent 15.5K gold on a Battered Hilt purchase last night, and for the first time since vanilla WoW I'm completely broke -- I have less than 10G between 3 level 80 characters :lol I was like 150G-250G away from the lowest buyout price and so desperate for more money that I started just vendoring stacks of Frostweave......spamming trade asking if anyone would buy Crusader Orbs or Runed Orbs that I could cash in my badges for. :lol I'll be back on my feet in no time, but I have no idea why it was I ended up so obsessed with just this one item....no other AH epic has held as much intrigue.

As others have pointed out, I could have just as easily got an equivalent weapon off of Marrowgar (who is supposedly quite puggable).....but this one relieves me of the obligation of having to run the Icecrown 5-mans if I don't feel like it. It also has a cool questline associated with it.....I got to see the inside of the Silver Enclave in Dalaran for the first time ever :D

Wrekt

For whatever reason I treat 10k gold like it is 0. I just can't bring myself to go below it. I'd love a hilt but I know I'd get a 2 hander and I know that there is no way I'm getting a group as dps when I have a perfectly good holy or prot set and a spec to go with them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Son of Godzilla said:
I took my pally from 22k to 30k unbuffed in the last few days. 25k is fine for mostly anything non-ICC. I recommend doing normal ToC for the tanking trinket if you ain't got it. It's also difficult enough to get you comfortable with tanking.

Forge of Souls is easy as hell too btw. Don't be afraid of jumping right in. I accidentally did it on Heroic thinking it was normal. Pitt can be hard with those last few packs and the final boss but it's still pretty easy. Stay away from HoR till you think you are ready.
I got pretty lucky on the tank front. I just ran a billion randoms as a DPS by getting a tank/healer and offsetted every tank item until I was loaded for bear with Stam.
A better option of course is, the ICC normals. Those dungeons on normal are not harder than Heroic Violet Hold and the gear is very very good, HoR in particular has the only 200+ shield you'll see that's not a raid item.

HoR on a Paladin is not too difficult to manage once you start getting a feel for it.

Basically, keep your party in one spot, put a consecrate there (time it so it will be there when the mobs arrive), use your Captain America button on the Mages and make sure to get a Holy Wrath off when as many mobs as possible are in range. They pretty much stick to you like glue after a Holy Wrath. The hunter is the lowest priority target since he's mostly annoying. If you get your Holy Wrath off and stun everyone except him, use the stun to Turn Evil the Hunter, although you can just occasionally Hand of Reckoning him and it works pretty much the same.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Akim said:
I decided to start gearing my mage. Random dungeons as a DPS caster are soooo much faster than a melee dps.

From my experience most groups are sorted as: 1 healer, 1 tank, 1 ranged, 2 melee; right? I've never seen 3 ranged and I've never seen 3 melee.

Tamanon

Banned
kinoki said:
From my experience most groups are sorted as: 1 healer, 1 tank, 1 ranged, 2 melee; right? I've never seen 3 ranged and I've never seen 3 melee.

There's no combination of DPS, it just picks 3 randoms. Although the only thing I have seen is that it seems to not pick the same class if possible.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, it's really frustrating when your 25-man regresses. Hopefully it's just the holidays and some of our top dps being absent, but we had a DK who did 1.4k dps on Deathwhisper. That's almost impossible to achieve. We actually had 5 people under 3k dps, which is silly. Our best attempt was down to 30% before the enrage timer.

Tamanon said:
There's no combination of DPS, it just picks 3 randoms. Although the only thing I have seen is that it seems to not pick the same class if possible.

That would seem to be the case. My main is an enhancement shaman and his queue's as DPS aren't that bad, but trying to queue as a DPS on my paladin is horrendous. I'm pretty sure they do try give a combination of melee and ranged though, as I tend to get grouped with more warlocks and mages then DKs and Pallies

Cipherr

Tamanon said:
BTW, it's really frustrating when your 25-man regresses. Hopefully it's just the holidays and some of our top dps being absent, but we had a DK who did 1.4k dps on Deathwhisper. That's almost impossible to achieve. We actually had 5 people under 3k dps, which is silly. Our best attempt was down to 30% before the enrage timer.

How are you splitting your dps? In the pugs Ive done where we killed her, all classes/specs with slow ramp up time (aff locks in particular as well as any good shadow priests) go on the boss as they dont have the time to ramp up and dps the adds. After them the second choice for boss shield dps are classes that have dps split between magic and physical. SV/MM hunters and others will be at 40 to 60% capacity on any of the adds with resistance to melee or magic. A waste of raid dps. But hunters can be REALLY useful. I taunt all of the large green adds while the raid burns them so they dont have to be tanked, and I can do it from 36 yards. Also MD is up for every new wave, so when Im assigned to left or right, I let my tank know to only bother grabbing 2 of the adds that spawn, Ill give him tons of threat on the third add (normally the caster which will just chain cast on him until we get around to killing it). Toss in having my Viper Sting drain on a macro that I can toss on the boss in between add waves to drain a little bit of the shield and keep my own mana topped off and its hilariously fun.

Tamanon

Banned
Puncture said:
How are you splitting your dps? In the pugs Ive done where we killed her, all classes/specs with slow ramp up time (aff locks in particular as well as any good shadow priests) go on the boss as they dont have the time to ramp up and dps the adds. After them the second choice for boss shield dps are classes that have dps split between magic and physical. SV/MM hunters and others will be at 40 to 60% capacity on any of the adds with resistance to melee or magic. A waste of raid dps. But hunters can be REALLY useful. I taunt all of the large green adds while the raid burns them so they dont have to be tanked, and I can do it from 26 yards. Also MD is up for every new wave, so when Im assigned to left or right, I let my tank know to only bother grabbing 2 of the adds that spawn, Ill give him tons of thread on the third add (normally the caster which will just chain cast on him until we get around to killing it). Toss in having my Viper Sting drain on a macro that I can toss on the boss inbetween add waves to drain a little bit of the shield and keep my own mana topped off and its hilariously fun.

That's what we do actually, it's mainly melee in there with the adds and the casters on the boss except when a Reanimated guy needs ganking. Just seems we have a lot of warriors whose claim to fame is cleaving and that doesn't help on the adds.

What kind of healers do you guys run for ICC25? I was in a pug earlier today with 6 healers and, to my surprise, we couldn't down Marrowgar. Everyone was saying it was the fact that spikes weren't going down fast enough, which is slightly true but isn't helped by people standing out in the far reaches of the room, but I believe it was just because either we didn't have enough heals or the heals were bad. All 3 tanks we had were pretty good, but 2 of them kept dying for no reason, as well as the ranged (though they could be dying from standing in fire, but who knows). I kept saying to get one more healer but they didn't want to, saying that if we all stack together and get the spikes down asap we'll be good. Well that's fine enough reasoning but HOW ARE THE TANKS DYING? I'm pretty sure the spikes don't share their damage with the tanks and I'm pretty sure the spikes only do about a 2k tick so every healer shouldn't be going on to them so I'm quite perplexed as to why getting the spikes down faster has anything to do with the tanks deaths.

Meh, I'm just rambling on at this point.

Orbitcube said:
What kind of healers do you guys run for ICC25? I was in a pug earlier today with 6 healers and, to my surprise, we couldn't down Marrowgar. Everyone was saying it was the fact that spikes weren't going down fast enough, which is slightly true but isn't helped by people standing out in the far reaches of the room, but I believe it was just because either we didn't have enough heals or the heals were bad. All 3 tanks we had were pretty good, but 2 of them kept dying for no reason, as well as the ranged (though they could be dying from standing in fire, but who knows). I kept saying to get one more healer but they didn't want to, saying that if we all stack together and get the spikes down asap we'll be good. Well that's fine enough reasoning but HOW ARE THE TANKS DYING? I'm pretty sure the spikes don't share their damage with the tanks and I'm pretty sure the spikes only do about a 2k tick so every healer shouldn't be going on to them so I'm quite perplexed as to why getting the spikes down faster has anything to do with the tanks deaths.

Did you have the healers assigned to tanks? 1 or 2 healers just spamming onto their assigned tank while 1 or 2 raid heal. Tanks go down super fast in Marrowgar for some reason, I wouldn't necessarily blame the healing.

I'm not much of a theorycrafter so, maybe someone can answer this for me...What's a bigger DPS increase for 2H Unholy DKs? Reaping or BCB? In my current DPS build I have BCB, but not Reaping. I'm primarily a tank, so I'm playing around with DPS stuff while upgrading my DPS set.

Tamanon

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I'm not much of a theorycrafter so, maybe someone can answer this for me...What's a bigger DPS increase for 2H Unholy DKs? Reaping or BCB? In my current DPS build I have BCB, but not Reaping. I'm primarily a tank, so I'm playing around with DPS stuff while upgrading my DPS set.

Theorycrafting says that Reaping isn't as much DPS until you have 2 Tier 10 because of the Scourge Strike buff from it.

Tamanon

Banned
Orbitcube said:

We only have one or two healers assigned to the raid and spiked folks. The Spike damage is easy to handle past the initial burst. Otherwise, rest on the tank and if one of them gets spiked, somebody swaps over. Although we also do the fight differently, stacking everybody up under the boss except for 2 hunters bracketing the boss and drawing the coldflames.

Angry Grimace

ToyMachine228 said:
You should have already had BCB. The points that came out of Reaping ended up in Necrosis again. BCB is more DPS for the points than Necrosis is. It's weird like that.

Yes, the next wing of ICC is supposed to open a week from today, but it could easily change. At the same time, the next Arena season will start, etc.

Angry Grimace

ToyMachine228 said:
Yes, the next wing of ICC is supposed to open a week from today, but it could easily change. At the same time, the next Arena season will start, etc.
I wouldn't expect Season changes until Wing 3, really.

border

I finished the Battered Hilt/Quel'Delar questline last night and it was really cool. Not "OMG EVERYONE SHOULD PAY 15000 GOLD FOR THIS" cool, but fun enough that I feel justified with my purchase (especially now that the Auction House price has spiked back up to around 20 grand).

Towards the end of the questline you get to go back to the Isle of Quel'Danas, except it's a phased/instanced version of it. After spending so long there doing dailies in Burning Crusade, it's weird to return over a year later and see the island completely at peace. The Blood Elves have completely taken everything over -- there's no demons constantly teleporting in and running amuck.....no magic-crazed zombies in the forest.....Brutallus is gone from that section of The Dead Scar that leads into the Sunwell. When you enter the Sunwell itself all the mobs are gone and it's just belves doing their thing and hanging out.

It really feels like the world has progressed and changed when you go there, and I think my sense of that is heightened by the fact that it's been so long since I last went to Quel'Danas -- it's like going home for Christmas and realizing that the mall's been torn down and they built a new football stadium.

I look forward to similar sensations throughout Cataclysm -- the whole questline has made me much more interested in seeing Azeroth re-imagined and changed.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Did you have the healers assigned to tanks? 1 or 2 healers just spamming onto their assigned tank while 1 or 2 raid heal. Tanks go down super fast in Marrowgar for some reason, I wouldn't necessarily blame the healing.

It's never the healer's fault, all fail is tank fail.

Seriously though I think Orbit's instinct that every healer was swapping to the spiked person was probably true. When you're healing and a big thing pops up that says "[PLAYER] is [VIOLENT SOUNDING ADJECTIVE]", if nobody has said who is doing it then everyone does because they're afraid nobody else will think to. Or nobody does, but that usually only happens with unpopular guildies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom