• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah everything in ToC had armour Pen and now all the 5man stuff and ICC has Hit.
Kinda considering race changing to Troll as I allways thought they were the best horde race or maybe an Orc..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LAUGHTREY said:
Highlighted is why they don't want to bring people like you.

If they wanted to carry dumb people or teach them the fights they'd be in the guild. You obviously don't know that the fights are extremely different, so If you ever want to do them I suggest you stop being a mooch and go to tankspot.com

People who don't put in the same effort as other people absolutely enrage me, why does everyone else have to know the fights and the strategy, but you don't. You should check your sense of entitlement in the corner. They don't have to take you if they don't want to.
Tell us how awesome your raids are and how other people aren't as good as you. Never gets old. Keep contributing nothing other than being an annoying idiot that has something stupid and assholish to say. It never gets old.

I mean, the guy you're replying to isn't as good as you, big fucking deal, he's not in your guild, why does everything make you lose your fucking shit? Stop being such a fucking baby as usual.

The reason nobody ever replies to anything you post is because you're an annoying asshole.

Weenerz

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Yeah everything in ToC had armour Pen and now all the 5man stuff and ICC has Hit.
Kinda considering race changing to Troll as I allways thought they were the best horde race or maybe an Orc..

Orcs are clearly the best looking race of all time!

Weenerz said:

agreed

Edit: Anyone else get a bunch of games for Christmas? I fear I won't be able to play them for awhile because I don't want to take a break from WoW with the awesomeness of ICC

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Weenerz said:
Agreed, but most of my characters are alliance because my wife wanted to be a Night Elf so I had to be an alliance. Not to mention that Orcs have all the good racials for Death Knights :lol

Angry Grimace said:
Agreed, but most of my characters are alliance because my wife wanted to be a Night Elf so I had to be an alliance. Not to mention that Orcs have all theg ood racials for Death Knights :lol

Blood elves are prettier, though. My fiancee's one and only character (level 3 hunter) was a blood elf.

Angry Grimace

I sort of wonder why hunters are getting "Focus" in Cataclysm...it sounds like it operates identically to energy...so why not just call it "Energy" to keep the tooltips cleaner? (i.e. Rapture, which ("...energizes the target with X mana, X rage, X runic power or X energy")

funkmastergeneral said:
Blood elves are prettier, though. My fiancee's one and only character (level 3 hunter) was a blood elf.

All of the male Blood Elves sound like Liquid Snake.

Angry Grimace said:
I sort of wonder why hunters are getting "Focus" in Cataclysm...it sounds like it operates identically to energy...so why not just call it "Energy" to keep the tooltips cleaner? (i.e. Rapture, which ("...energizes the target with X mana, X rage, X runic power or X energy")

All of the male Blood Elves sound like Liquid Snake.

I may have made this up and convinced myself its true but I think the VA for Liquid IS the guy that did VA for Blood elves.

Angry Grimace

Johnlenham said:
I may have made this up and convinced myself its true but I think the VA for Liquid IS the guy that did VA for Blood elves.
That was the point. Male Belves are voiced by Cam Clarke.

Cipherr

Angry Grimace said:

Its long overdue, and a shame that they abandoned it long ago in beta. I hope they get a decently working system in though. Physical dps classes IMO, especially pures have no business with finite mana pools. And as a hunter the mana thing is such a joke anyway, with a Mana spring, Replen and JoW on a target I can dps indefinitely as SV and never go OOM. The resources for the class will feel more physical dps like rather than a ranged caster that deals physical damage.

Im pretty hyped for it. But I think our ramp up time is going to take a hit with the new system, and Im going to miss that quite a bit, and there are some SERIOUS dangers of crippling us in PvP if they stick with the "Shots cost focus and using steady shot replenishes some focus on top of the normal regen rate" nonsense. Unlike other melee we dont get to deal damage (auto attack) while on the move, so if I dump my focus on instants while moving, Ill eventually be low on focus regenning slowly unable to deal damage while moving at all. Before this wasnt an issue because your mana pool is alot larger than a focus pool of 100 or 200 would be.

Angry Grimace

No wonder they extended the opening of new wings.

Can't seem to get anyone on for raid times because nobody's freakin around :lol

Including me.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
That was the point. Male Belves are voiced by Cam Clarke.

Holy shit really? I thought it was just that someone sounded like him. That's funny stuff. Maybe David Hayter will be the Worgen voice actor.

Angry Grimace said:
No wonder they extended the opening of new wings

What? They further extended until when the new wings are opened now? You got to be shitting me.

Johnlenham said:

I'd maybe hold out on that? Aren't they reworking all racials in Cataclysm?

J-Rzez said:
Holy shit really? I thought it was just that someone sounded like him. That's funny stuff. Maybe David Hayter will be the Worgen voice actor.

What? They further extended until when the new wings are opened now? You got to be shitting me.

I'd maybe hold out on that? Aren't they reworking all racials in Cataclysm?
1) THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME PLEASE READ THIS POST BLIZZ AND GET HIM ON THE PHONE. DROP YOUR CURRENT VOICE ACTOR AND GET DAVID HAYTER FOR THE WORGEN (FEMALES AS WELL).
I held down shift for all of that :(

2) I think he means the original 4 week one, just so it goes over New Years

3) I remember them saying that, but there's no reason why he can't faction change again later. :D

Angry Grimace said:

Probably because pets use a system that's just like that called Focus. Your average Joe Hunter probably don't know how Energy works for Rogues but, they probably know how their pet's Focus works.

Xabora

Code:
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("\124cffa335ee\124Hitem:50379:3368:3787:3771:3789:0:0:0:0\124h[Battered Hilt]\124h\124r");
Best Hilt Ever, troll trade with it.

I can't decide whether to level my hunter through Wrath now or later. If I wait he'll probably be 71 forever.

Hey Grim (or any other people with a priest) have you been checking out the 3.3 shadow changes? I've swapped my disc spec over to shadow now because nobody wants me tank-healing when there are Shaman around. With badges I'm in 4-pieces of T9 and a couple of bits and pieces but half the set is actually my holy gear.

Currently stats are about:

- 2700 spell after Inner Fire and Divine Spirit
- 17% crit (which seems absurdly low)
- 450 haste rating
- 400 hit rating (excessive I know, but everything seems to have heaps of hit on it)

Thing is I'm only doing about 3.5k DPS on a single target, whereas I've got a similarly geared friend who does 6-8k so I think I my rotation must just suck. Badly. Any quick pointers? I know about shadowpriest.com but there is an intimidating amount of information to sift through for a noob like me.

Just curious. What's the love for Orcs about? Looks, racials, lore? I can't play horde. It's my own personal opinion, but I think all horde look kind of stupid. If I rolled horde, I'd roll troll or female BE before anything else.

Deputy Moonman said:
Just curious. What's the love for Orcs about? Looks, racials, lore? I can't play horde. It's my own personal opinion, but I think all horde look kind of stupid. If I rolled horde, I'd roll troll or female BE before anything else.
The opposite is true. All of the Alliance looks awful. Dwarves are probably the best looking, but they're stereotypical fantasy Scottish dwarves instead of something more interesting.

On Horde side, trolls look pretty plain, but everything else is gold.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Deputy Moonman said:
Orcs rock. I don't know what it is about them.. Good racials for every class combination they have available, and I suppose it's that mentality that they are buff as shit when they start wearing the mail/plate and they can wear boots proper. That and Orc Warlocks are the definition of badass.

Tauren are cool as well, the only problem is at times it looks like they lumber around and they are a big target to hit. But it should be fun once they get Paladin as a class choice as I cannot stand Blood Elves probably because there are so many of the shits.

markot said:
Orcs are lame >.<

They better upgrade the old models.......
I'm sure they will at some point. I'm more concerned about the Alliance models than anything else, but yeah, all the races need an update, some more desperately than others (dwarves have no jaw or chin, I mean come on).

J-Rzez

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The opposite is true. All of the Alliance looks awful. Dwarves are probably the best looking, but they're stereotypical fantasy Scottish dwarves instead of something more interesting.

On Horde side, trolls look pretty plain, but everything else is gold.

That's probably why they're giving the ally the Worgen, finally a decent looking "race". That was one of the deciding factors to why I rolled Horde, Ally models are terrible imo. They need a complete overhaul.

i dunno why but I liked wow back in 2004 than now, even though now is better than 2004, i guess it was that "new"ness

even with xp's wow just seems old, my uncle finally quit we will reroll with cataclysm but I feel the magic is gone.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
jim-jam bongs said:
I can't decide whether to level my hunter through Wrath now or later. If I wait he'll probably be 71 forever.

Hey Grim (or any other people with a priest) have you been checking out the 3.3 shadow changes? I've swapped my disc spec over to shadow now because nobody wants me tank-healing when there are Shaman around. With badges I'm in 4-pieces of T9 and a couple of bits and pieces but half the set is actually my holy gear.

- 450 haste rating
- 400 hit rating (excessive I know, but everything seems to have heaps of hit on it)

Thing is I'm only doing about 3.5k DPS on a single target, whereas I've got a similarly geared friend who does 6-8k so I think I my rotation must just suck. Badly. Any quick pointers? I know about shadowpriest.com but there is an intimidating amount of information to sift through for a noob like me.

Quick pointers? Careful of clipping your dots and sneak in SW: D when you can. I know there's a couple of people who play shadow priests a lot that could probably contribute a lot more.

Hey guys, I posted a few pages back about trying to get back into the game again after taking a 2 year break. It had a lot of questions but they didn't get answered so I apologize for my newb-ness. Anyway, here's a more specific question: how are druids and hunters in the game right now? I'll be mostly playing with my girlfriend, who will roll a rogue, so I thought either one would be beneficial as druids could heal and hunters are pretty solo-able. But what about playing in groups? What roles can I expect to fill while I level up to the end game? Are hunters still looked down upon as much as they were when I was playing way back when? Thanks again guys.

cmonmanreally said:
Hey guys, I posted a few pages back about trying to get back into the game again after taking a 2 year break. It had a lot of questions but they didn't get answered so I apologize for my newb-ness. Anyway, here's a more specific question: how are druids and hunters in the game right now? I'll be mostly playing with my girlfriend, who will roll a rogue, so I thought either one would be beneficial as druids could heal and hunters are pretty solo-able. But what about playing in groups? What roles can I expect to fill while I level up to the end game? Are hunters still looked down upon as much as they were when I was playing way back when? Thanks again guys.
Playing a Druid will give you more versatility when you reach level 80, and will be easier to level (though in a group it doesn't really matter, both will be just as easy). You'll be limited to DPS as a hunter, but as a druid you can do any role (tank, dps, heals). Hunters aren't looked down upon as much as before in TBC, DKs took that stereotype away. Also with the new group finder system, it'll be harder to find a group as 2 DPS than as 1 DPS and 1 heals or 1 tank.

Anyway, I'm contemplating a faction change to Horde. On my realm (Thaurissan) there's absolutely no Alliance and it's near impossible to find a decent group for any raid. There's at least 5 horde to 1 Alliance, which makes it quite tough to do WG (buff tenacity kgo). There's way more horde on Thaurissan, and there are so many good guilds while there's very little on alliance. It's either that or transfer to Caelestrasz where some of my old friends are, but Cael is one of the worst realms in the game progression-wise. They've got one guild that's finished ToGC25 (and it's horde), the rest are just floundering.

Xabora

J-Rzez said:
That's probably why they're giving the ally the Worgen, finally a decent looking "race". That was one of the deciding factors to why I rolled Horde, Ally models are terrible imo. They need a complete overhaul.
29ygxe1.gif

J-Rzez

Xabora said:
http://i48.tinypic.com

Honestly, I have to admit, I'm jealous of the allies getting that race. If I get into this beta as well, I'll probably roll one just to check them out. Goblins are alright, fitting I suppose for the horde to get them so they have a midget race too. But they got nothin' on those Worgen from what I've seen.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I was kinda hoping the horde would get ethereals as a playable race. They've always struck me as the magnificent bastards of WoW. Or put them into a third, unaligned faction since I couldn't see ethereals siding with one group too much for fears of being unable to profit off of that group's rival.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
No wonder almost all my alliance characters are female draeneis, it's the only one that looks good except maybe for the male dwarves, but the blocky fingers kinda annoys me. :lol

Horde is good for most of the races, but i can't really stand the fucking ugly 2 toes of the trolls and the fact that they have no boots to hide them.

Tamanon

Banned
Bisnic said:
No wonder almost all my alliance characters are female draeneis, it's the only one that looks good except maybe for the male dwarves, but the blocky fingers kinda annoys me. :lol

Horde is good for most of the races, but i can't really stand the fucking ugly 2 toes of the trolls and the fact that they have no boots to hide them.

I have 4 draenei females.:lol All with the same pigtails hairstyle too, it's kinda weird.

The troll dance and laugh is what hooks me :lol
I remember getting so angry when I got raped during pvp by one and then they did the dance laugh combo, it would make my blood boil :lol and they have a decent bow animation.

VaLiancY

Deputy Moonman said:

Who doesn't like oversized pauldrons? I love Orcs though, my ponytail, my MC Hammer dance, my fuck awesome racials and the female Orcs look proportionate.

Atrophis

Angry Grimace said:
No wonder they extended the opening of new wings.

Can't seem to get anyone on for raid times because nobody's freakin around :lol

Including me.

Ive just joined a newly created raiding guild who have bizarrely chosen today to start raiding.

Im not even going to get to play again till the new year and im sure many others will have to miss the first raids.

Angry Grimace

Oni Link 666 said:
Probably because pets use a system that's just like that called Focus. Your average Joe Hunter probably don't know how Energy works for Rogues but, they probably know how their pet's Focus works.
Your Average Joe Death Knight didn't know that they had "focus" on the pets either! :lol

It sounds like energy based on its description...it would make sense if physical dps classes had "energy" and magic ones had "rage" :lol

jim-jam bongs said:

- 450 haste rating

The reason why is because Shadow Priest is actually pretty tricky if you aren't used to it.

Spells need to be kept up in the following priority:

VT -> MB -> DP -> MF -> SW:p

You want to keep your DoTs ticking but NOT miss casting Mind Blast every time it is off cooldown. SW:p does more damage than DP or MF but you don't have to cast it more than once because Pain and Suffering talent refreshes it on Mind Flays.

Here's how your opening rotation would go:

Essentially, you want to put up Vampiric Touch first, because it does more damage than the other two DoTs and has the shortest duration. You then cast a Mind Blast. Then cast your Devouring Plague (which lasts the longest of your DoTs). Then, you want to cast a full duration 3 tick Mind Flay. You then cast Shadow Word: Pain.

The reason you don't want to cast the Shadow Word: Pain until after all those spells (even though it does more damage than them) is because you want to have 5 Shadow Weaving stacks up when you cast it because it gets refreshed by your Mind Flays at the value it was cast at. It also gets refreshed with whatever debuffs are on the mob when you cast it. If someone casts Ebon Plague after you put up SW:p, it won't get the benefit from being refreshed; only if manually recast SW:p.

Mind Flay works essentially as your "filler spell." You cast it when you have all DoTs up but they aren't going to expire and Mind Blast is on cooldown. Having a lot of haste is awesome because you can fit more non-clipped Mind Flays in between Mind Blasts (clipping your Mind Flays is almost always a DPS loss because it's not easy to tell how and when to do it).

Clipping your other DoTs is a significant loss as well. What this means is, you always want your DoTs up; however, they only tick every 3(?) sec and the last tick occurs as the DoT falls off. If your Vampiric Touch has 4 seconds left and you cast another one and it lands with 2.3 seconds left, you won't have any ticks of that spell for 5.3 seconds because the application of the spell starts the tick timer over. Ideally, you will cast Vampiric Touch when the duration of the existing DoT is less than the cast time, but not after it has fallen off.

It is tricky but your DPS really does go up when you do it.

Yaweee

They still haven't specified exactly what Focus is. It could have a variable cap or different regeneration rules, either of which would make it very different than the Rogue's energy.

Xabora

Yaweee said:
They still haven't specified exactly what Focus is. It could have a variable cap or different regeneration rules, either of which would make it very different than the Rogue's energy.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Focus_(Pet)
Focus is the concentration a hunter's pet must expend to use its abilities such as Growl. From a player's perspective it is almost identical to the rogue's energy. By default the focus bar is full, with 100 points. When used, it regenerates fairly slowly (5 focus every second). The regeneration rate is not affected by being in combat.

The size of the focus pool and the regeneration rate are both constant - they do not increase with levels, and are not related to any statistics. As of patch 2.0, the 2 point Bestial Discipline talent will increase the focus regeneration rate by 50/100%.

During early stages of World of Warcraft development, hunters themselves used Focus as well. Back then, Focus only regenerated when standing still. However, this distinguishing feature was dropped before launch. It is due to be implemented in the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, though.
It may be returning in a somewhat close form as it was during development.

Focus would be hilarious if they ignored the obvious and just rolled. Linking regen to steady shot (And thus balancing dps around the use of steady shot) would be the most awesome thing ever for hunter pvp. Not that mana is at all acceptable right now, but going through substantial periods of viability and then regen is so much better than constantly spiking up and down. Not to mention the benefit of steady shot as it was presented managed to be completely trivial while at the same time mandatory. A straight doubling of the regen means you are at half potential without it, but the actual gain is such a pittance individual steadies do almost nothing. I would fucking love to see it implemented like that.

Angry Grimace said:
The reason why is because Shadow Priest is actually pretty tricky if you aren't used to it.

*snip*

Awesome, thanks heaps mate that's exactly what I was after. I'm pretty sure I've been clipping my DP and VT pretty badly. I'll also start using my anti-clipping MF macro again, which is basically just "if !casting { cast() } else { return }".

One thing that stood out a lot was casting SW:p last; I usually get all my DOTs up as a priority because DOT-uptime = a good thing. I had NO idea it was only going to recieve the contribution of whatever was up when it was cast. I think that's been making a reasonable impact too.

You didn't mention SW : D - is it like Mr Nash said; just slip it in between whenever you can?

I did get to clear ICC10 last night with a mix of guild and friends who were about. When we got to SF they got me to go shadow and work on one side of the adds with a mage. Finally managed to break 4k DPS with basic raid buffs and no flask, and while switching targets back and forth.

Overall not the biggest contribution; I was 2nd last on DPS, and the last guy was an enh shaman who went ele for the adds. Still, I haven't really DPS-ed a raid since AQ40 so I was pretty happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom