• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Tamanon said:
There's no combination of DPS, it just picks 3 randoms. Although the only thing I have seen is that it seems to not pick the same class if possible.

I love how I queued one day for an heroic on my DK as a DPS and Tank... I get in as a tank and a DPS DK joins too. :|

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Entropia said:
I love how I queued one day for an heroic on my DK as a DPS and Tank... I get in as a tank and a DPS DK joins too. :|

You're laughing, but while i was tanking on my warrior the other day, three DPS DKs joined on the random group.

Has anyone had a group demand this strategy for HoR?

http://www.wow.com/2009/12/29/halls-of-reflection-exploit-trivializes-lich-king-encounter/

I had one this morning and I'm not sure in what way it actually trivialises the encounter. It actually just made it harder because the point at which the tank would meet the spawns was impossible to guess, so everyone was getting blasted with bile and having several mobs smash them before the tank could pick them up.

Only time I've ever run OOM on that fight, and it took more than a minute longer than my average for it using the proper strat. I just don't get how it makes it easier, from my perspective it was about 5 times harder.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jim-jam bongs said:
Has anyone had a group demand this strategy for HoR?

http://www.wow.com/2009/12/29/halls-of-reflection-exploit-trivializes-lich-king-encounter/

I had one this morning and I'm not sure in what way it actually trivialises the encounter. It actually just made it harder because the point at which the tank would meet the spawns was impossible to guess, so everyone was getting blasted with bile and having several mobs smash them before the tank could pick them up.

Only time I've ever run OOM on that fight, and it took more than a minute longer than my average for it using the proper strat. I just don't get how it makes it easier, from my perspective it was about 5 times harder.
That's because DPSers and tanks presume from a healing standpoint everything is just irrelevant whack-a-mole.

border

I've only been in 1 or 2 groups that had real difficulty with the Lich King section of Halls of Reflection. It's the Falric/Marwyn section that seems to cause the most serious problems since a stray mob can easily 2-shot a healer on non-plate DPS and nobody can be rezed in between waves......if a healer or tank goes down you are pretty much fucked six ways from Sunday. I'm still scared to tank that part with my warrior.

markot

Banned
Some tanks are just uber jerks >.<

They dont say a thing, just zerg through, dont wait for anyone or anything.

I had one that started pulling to the next group of mobs while we were still clearing and he had mobs still hitting on him...... And not a group that was just next to us, but like running to a group that was a bit aways.

I feel like not healing them sometimes... no other class can get away with being so jerky. Stupid tank shortage...

Hmph, or tanks that think I can heal them through any amount of mobs... bleh!

Most are good though, just a few tards out there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
markot said:

I had one that started pulling to the next group of mobs while we were still clearing and he had mobs still hitting on him...... And not a group that was just next to us, but like running to a group that was a bit aways.

I feel like not healing them sometimes... no other class can get away with being so jerky. Stupid tank shortage...

Hmph, or tanks that think I can heal them through any amount of mobs... bleh!

Most are good though, just a few tards out there.
I had a group that thought that I should be following the pinging on the map (that I wasn't looking at nor was told to look at) where the huntard was randomly pulling mobs in a hunt for the Quel'Delar quest items in PoS. I dropped group after the healer and hunter died after running off and got a series of angry tells afterwards, despite the fact I told them there are plenty of quest items if you just follow me and don't run off randomly.

Angry Grimace said:
That's because DPSers and tanks presume from a healing standpoint everything is just irrelevant whack-a-mole.

I'd prefer whack-a-mole to spam-a-PoH honestly. I just don't get how it's in any way easier for anyone involved though; Lichy still moves at the same speed, he still kills Jaina if you aren't fast enough and the number of mobs is the same. So perplexing.

What really irks me is that I never have any trouble with that encounter if it's done properly. It's a test of your DPS and your tank but the healing, although it requires a bit of attention, is pretty straightforward. Unless the other 2 parts aren't up to the task, in which case it's a nightmare.

Cipherr

Man, every day since 3.3 went live running it finally got the NeS trinket from the Forge of Souls.

Not that I didnt have to roll against two melee dps and the tank AGAIN to win it, but at least this time I got it. Now I can stop having to log in every day at least once. The frost badges come fast enough from 10 and 25 man clears, Im not worried about the measily 2 per day. And I dont like playing every day. Burns me out no matter how short the time online is.

Angry Grimace

Saved myself 20,000g and just got Ramaladni's Blade of Culling instead :lol

(which is better anyways)

thatbox

Banned
border said:
I finished the Battered Hilt/Quel'Delar questline last night and it was really cool. Not "OMG EVERYONE SHOULD PAY 15000 GOLD FOR THIS" cool, but fun enough that I feel justified with my purchase (especially now that the Auction House price has spiked back up to around 20 grand).

Towards the end of the questline you get to go back to the Isle of Quel'Danas, except it's a phased/instanced version of it. After spending so long there doing dailies in Burning Crusade, it's weird to return over a year later and see the island completely at peace. The Blood Elves have completely taken everything over -- there's no demons constantly teleporting in and running amuck.....no magic-crazed zombies in the forest.....Brutallus is gone from that section of The Dead Scar that leads into the Sunwell. When you enter the Sunwell itself all the mobs are gone and it's just belves doing their thing and hanging out.

It really feels like the world has progressed and changed when you go there, and I think my sense of that is heightened by the fact that it's been so long since I last went to Quel'Danas -- it's like going home for Christmas and realizing that the mall's been torn down and they built a new football stadium.

I look forward to similar sensations throughout Cataclysm -- the whole questline has made me much more interested in seeing Azeroth re-imagined and changed.
Is it now phased permanently for you? I sometime go back there and do the dailies just for nostalgia's sake, I'd hate to lose out on being able to do that :(

I still can't believe I've only seen one hilt drop and it went to the party member I was cursing under my breath the whole way.

GHOSTCRAWLER PROMISED ME A HILT

Best ever raiding night for my moonkin. Got gloves off Lady Deathwhisper and the staff off Deathbringer.

And now I've got enough badges to get my first piece of T10 ... bye bye 4T9.

border said:
I've only been in 1 or 2 groups that had real difficulty with the Lich King section of Halls of Reflection. It's the Falric/Marwyn section that seems to cause the most serious problems since a stray mob can easily 2-shot a healer on non-plate DPS and nobody can be rezed in between waves......if a healer or tank goes down you are pretty much fucked six ways from Sunday. I'm still scared to tank that part with my warrior.

My pally can tank HoR pretty well with a non fail group. It's pretty demanding and I wish they wouldn't change it, I can't hold aggro on my druid well enough but the paladin with all his AE tanking toys can lock the mobs down well enough and if I have a good healer and DPS with it its actually easy.

The whole instance is pretty much a DPS race(especially Falric), and since I always go with my wife who's a terrific healer we always have problems due to DPS not killing stuff fast enough.

J-Rzez

God damnit, still no Saronite cloak yet... : /

Question for you 25 ICC runners. Are those shards for Shadowmourne dropping already? I was told they are, but I don't believe it as not everyone is on that part of the questline to even start recovering those pieces. This is going to be a real bitch to get these. Many say tougher than all the others due in part to the rings of fire you have to jump through via quests before hand, and then collect 50 shards with a 50% chance to drop in normal, and 51-100% chance to drop in heroic mode.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I tried the lfg tool on one of my lowbie toons (a lvl 15 druid), and wound up running Ragefire Chasm. I had forgotten just how slow everything is at that level, not just scooping everything up and AoEing it down. It was mostly just scooping up one or two mobs (occasionally more), and just slowly widdling them down one by one. Soooo slow. XD

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
J-Rzez said:
God damnit, still no Saronite cloak yet... : /

Question for you 25 ICC runners. Are those shards for Shadowmourne dropping already? I was told they are, but I don't believe it as not everyone is on that part of the questline to even start recovering those pieces. This is going to be a real bitch to get these. Many say tougher than all the others due in part to the rings of fire you have to jump through via quests before hand, and then collect 50 shards with a 50% chance to drop in normal, and 51-100% chance to drop in heroic mode.

No shards have ever dropped for us, and from info on blue posts thus far, they won't be dropping until someone is on the Shattered segments part of the quest, which won't be available until sindragosa is killable, ie. another two gated segments.

And yeah, it's gonna be a bitch, especially with only being able to get 1 shard per kill, instead of per person. (at least, as far as we know)

I'm currently third or fourth (depending on if one of our warriors gets his way) in the line in my guild, but at least I can use Bryntroll if it ever drops, cause I'm basically never gonna see Shadow's edge. :/

border

Angry Grimace said:
Saved myself 20,000g and just got Ramaladni's Blade of Culling instead :lol

(which is better anyways)
Well yeah, if you're raiding 25-man you might as well wait for a better weapon to drop (particularly if you have DKP saved up). I don't raid at all so Quel'Delar is my Best In Slot item :) It'd be nice if I could get an 251/264 iLevel Axe though, since I have the Orc Axe racial bonus.

At the end of the day I'm just so happy that I don't have to endure any more Pit of Saron runs where the whole group wants to kill every last trash mob in the damned instance.

thatbox said:
Is it now phased permanently for you? I sometime go back there and do the dailies just for nostalgia's sake, I'd hate to lose out on being able to do that :(

No -- the phased version of Isle of Quel'Danas doesn't let you enter the Sunwell or Magister's Terrace (since the blood elves have obviously kicked out the Burning Legion at this point). If they kept you phased they would obviously prevent you from getting old Achievements, and that wouldn't sit well with some people. I hope that when Cataclysm comes they phase level 80 players into the new Quel'Danas, perhaps with some option to let you enter the legacy instances.

jim-jam bongs said:
I still can't believe I've only seen one hilt drop and it went to the party member I was cursing under my breath the whole way.

GHOSTCRAWLER PROMISED ME A HILT

I still haven't seen a Battered Hilt drop once -- and until Saturday I was running all three dungeons once a night. If you don't have a regular 10-man group for Icecrown I would definitely advise that you just buy a Hilt on the Auction House. In the time it takes you to run all the ICC Heroics in a night, you could be running dailies that will let you earn enough money to just straight-up buy it. The problem with trying to get it out of the dungeon is that in not only has to drop, but you will have to beat out 4 other players on the roll. If you have 2-3 level 80 characters, just doing the Argent Tournament dailies will probably let you build up enough gold in a couple weeks. Argent Tournament quests are the best, since 4 of them will give you the reward bags that contain 10G.

I suspect that Blizzard will bump up the drop rate at least twice more before Cataclysm, just because non-raiders will lose interest in ICC 5-mans as they get all the gear they need.

markot said:

wat. Tanks haul ass through heroics because... that's how you are supposed to do them. I don't understand, what exactly should be waited on? Mana regen is a joke nowadays. Unless the healer is like at 30% or someone died there's no reason to stop chain pulling.

Angry Grimace

I like how no items had any expertise in ToC 10, but now I have Expertise pouring out of my ass.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah I have no problem with zerg tanks, I prefer them. My mana never dips below 90% on my tree anyways and I have yet to run into a tank that pulled more than I could heal.

J-Rzez

Metroidvania said:
No shards have ever dropped for us, and from info on blue posts thus far, they won't be dropping until someone is on the Shattered segments part of the quest, which won't be available until sindragosa is killable, ie. another two gated segments.

And yeah, it's gonna be a bitch, especially with only being able to get 1 shard per kill, instead of per person. (at least, as far as we know)

I'm currently third or fourth (depending on if one of our warriors gets his way) in the line in my guild, but at least I can use Bryntroll if it ever drops, cause I'm basically never gonna see Shadow's edge. :/

That's what I thought. And wow is that a far ways off yet. People won't be able to enjoy their weapon too much considering by time you accomplish this, the content will be old for many people and they'll stop playing, they'll be working on alts, or the new xpac will be around the corner. Very-very shitty the way they're doing this.

Why wouldn't you see Shadow's Edge? Don't you just have to do that first quest and you'll get that axe at least?

Zerg tanks are sweet, it makes things much more interesting and generally quicker; sloppy zerg tanks suck. I don't mind a tank who is chain-pulling at their level, but the ones that punch above their weight can get annoying.

border said:
I suspect that Blizzard will bump up the drop rate at least twice more before Cataclysm, just because non-raiders will lose interest in ICC 5-mans as they get all the gear they need.

Yeah that sounds about right. I've started doing a bit of ICC raiding so there's every chance a better weapon will turn up eventually for my main, but it would be nice to see it bumped if just for gearing alts easily in preparation for Cataclysm. My druid could certainly use a nice new weapon.

Tamanon

Banned
Scrow said:
are there any lich king encounter videos around? i can't find any on youtube.

His encounter was never tested on the PTR, so no. Just the videos of Frostmourne's room.

Great night of raiding for our guild tonight. Had our first official night of raiding 10-man content in Wrath. One shot Marrowgar, Two shot Deathwhisper and one-shot the rest. Then we did the raid weekly Malygos and Downed Sarth 3-D finally. Good times. Shame the other moonkin got Muradin's Spyglass, lol.

Still not managed to get a group via LFG that can beat Heroic HoR. Closest ive gotten is the last ice wall!

Seems to allways be that tanks want to fight in either one of the crappy corners and try and pull of some stupid LOS shit

Oh and iveyet to see a hilt drop but id consider maiming someone for it as I doubt ill EVER see an upgrade from my marrow strike

Oh wow, just lead both a 10man and 25man OS3D zerg. Had some troubles on the 10man with a tank dying from enraged boss + add, but 25man was a breeze, surprisingly. I was expecting dozens of wipes, if the group even got that far. Didn't win the Drakes of course (grats to the pretty bad hunter who came 14th on DPS doing 4k and whoever won the 10man one, I've forgotten).

Was quite fun actually, especially getting 6 rogues and getting lots of TotT's going. The plan was to get all the rogues to tricks me at once point and then I tricks the tank, but that fell through sadly and we just paired up and used them on each other.

Anyway, fun was had by all and I got a new title (guild failed on 25 3D way back when, and I never got to do it).

FLEABttn

Banned
Non-zerg tanks makes HoS take 40 minutes. We had only just got into the main hallway after 10 minutes because the tank took forever to do anything.

Also, who the hell told DK's that dual-wield tanking was a good idea? I don't care if you have better stats or whatever, you have 0 threat generation.

joelseph

Orbitcube said:
What kind of healers do you guys run for ICC25? I was in a pug earlier today with 6 healers and, to my surprise, we couldn't down Marrowgar. Everyone was saying it was the fact that spikes weren't going down fast enough, which is slightly true but isn't helped by people standing out in the far reaches of the room, but I believe it was just because either we didn't have enough heals or the heals were bad. All 3 tanks we had were pretty good, but 2 of them kept dying for no reason, as well as the ranged (though they could be dying from standing in fire, but who knows). I kept saying to get one more healer but they didn't want to, saying that if we all stack together and get the spikes down asap we'll be good. Well that's fine enough reasoning but HOW ARE THE TANKS DYING? I'm pretty sure the spikes don't share their damage with the tanks and I'm pretty sure the spikes only do about a 2k tick so every healer shouldn't be going on to them so I'm quite perplexed as to why getting the spikes down faster has anything to do with the tanks deaths.

Meh, I'm just rambling on at this point.

Something I found really helps is to have the raid "hug" the far wall during phase 2. Keeps everyone in range of each other so everyone can get topped off and keeps the healers near the tank to pick them back up going back into phase one. Takes the pressure off the spike healers and let them concentrate on keeping spikes healed, not the raid topped.

Rogosh

FLEABttn said:
Non-zerg tanks makes HoS take 40 minutes. We had only just got into the main hallway after 10 minutes because the tank took forever to do anything.

Also, who the hell told DK's that dual-wield tanking was a good idea? I don't care if you have better stats or whatever, you have 0 threat generation.

Based on looking at the tree, isn't that what deep frost tanks do? [edit]Correction, properly geared deep frost tanks :p[/edit]

Weenerz

Banned
FLEABttn said:

Sounds like you just had a bad tank, DW frost tanking is pretty damn good.

FLEABttn

Banned
Weenerz said:
Sounds like you just had a bad tank

x10.

I've never had a good DW frost tank. Ever. I haven't had a two hand frost or blood tank have any issues, but every single DW frost tank I have ever done anything with can't generate threat to save his life.

Rogosh said:
Based on looking at the tree, isn't that what deep frost tanks do? [edit]Correction, properly geared deep frost tanks :p[/edit]

I'd argue two hand tank. The single DW talent I'd argue is more for DPS.

Macattk15

FLEABttn said:

Our MT dual-wield tanks and no one is EVER anywhere remotely close to pulling hate off of him. That and he doesn't die ... tanking our Insanity ToGC runs and every ICC boss so far.

Angry Grimace

FLEABttn said:
x10.

I've never had a good DW frost tank. Ever. I haven't had a two hand frost or blood tank have any issues, but every single DW frost tank I have ever done anything with can't generate threat to save his life.

I'd argue two hand tank. The single DW talent I'd argue is more for DPS.
It probably has to do with the fact that Death & Decay isn't as good as Howling Blast, but noobish Frost tanks tend use it instead of Howling Blast for no apparent reason.

I mean, one Howling Blast (especially with Killing Machine up. although, now that I think about it, tank Frost probably doesnt' take KM) is like 14K aoe threat.

There's no real reason Frost DK wouldn't hold aggro. It's mostly just DPSing in Frost Presence and whacking some cooldowns.

So I joined a hardcore raiding guild on my server, and went from a top 5 DPS in my old guild to 15th :lol It's amazing the difference playing with good players

I hope I don't get kicked :(

Angry Grimace

funkmastergeneral said:
So I joined a hardcore raiding guild on my server, and went from a top 5 DPS in my old guild to 15th :lol It's amazing the difference playing with good players

Somebody has to be 15th.:lol

funkmastergeneral said:

Heh similar thing, ran Toc 25 two nights ago and was 4th the whole way through which I thought was pretty good for my gear, I then joined another today and was around 11th with one mage at the top doing around 9kdps:lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
A little RAF Warrior update. Currently level 32. It's taking a bit because our schedules aren't matching up outside of a couple of days a week. Cest le vie. Currently leveling in Arms, which is a blast. AH on our server is barren though. Mats sells very well (Skinning/Mining), but nothing to equip.

Again, trying to hop in duengeons around our level has been tough, so not much luck there. I'm sure it'll pick up. I think we do have a friend who can run us through some instances for fast xp though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Johnlenham said:
Heh similar thing, ran Toc 25 two nights ago and was 4th the whole way through which I thought was pretty good for my gear, I then joined another today and was around 11th with one mage at the top doing around 9kdps:lol

It's not that hard for a mage to reach 9k dps with good gear. If they can get a good number of stacks of the buff from Jaraxxus that they can spellsteal, it gets ridiculous. Just like the buff i can spellsteal from the trash right before the Blood Elf boss of Heroic Nexus that gives 500 Spellpower & 50% Haste. :lol 9k dps on a 5 man boss and she only have time to do clones once. :D

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
J-Rzez said:
Why wouldn't you see Shadow's Edge? Don't you just have to do that first quest and you'll get that axe at least?

Woops, meant to say Shadowmourne.

True, I'll see Edge eventually, but I'm not one for farming gold, and 25 primordial saronite, even with alts, especially with tier costing obscene amounts of emblems for what's available to get them from now, means it'll be quite a while, and that's not even counting the other two getting shadowmourne in the first place, lol.

Angry Grimace

Now that my guild is finally back from Christmas and we finally got around to getting in some real attempts on ICC with our regular d00ds, my thought on the dungeon so far:

The only thing preventing this from being a 1 hour dungeon is the trash mobs (which, predictably, can usually just be AoE spammed down like every other Wrath trash mob). :lol

Macattk15

funkmastergeneral said:

Are their gear levels grossly above yours? If they are I wouldn't worry about it. If they aren't ... ask the class leader or an officer for some pointers if you're worried.

Macattk15 said:
Are their gear levels grossly above yours? If they are I wouldn't worry about it. If they aren't ... ask the class leader or an officer for some pointers if you're worried.

I'm the only enhancement shaman in the guild, thats why I was recruited because they were desperate. They slightly outgear me though since I have yet to pick up an ICC piece yet, but I've noticed that even if I play exactly as EJ tells me to, a well played rogue/hunter/mage/warlock/dps DK/feral druid will always beat me.

Angry Grimace

It's almost funny how much Expertise I was sitting on. 38. :lol It's time to ditch that stupid expertise crap trinket (Victor's Call) from ToC and finally start using my Needle Scorpion in raids. Even then, I'm still at a lovely 30, and most of the 10m plate drops are dripping with more and more expertise. :lol

Also, our realm's weekly has been Anub'rekhan two weeks in a row :lol <3<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom