• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
Anyone finding ratingsbuster to be inaccurate?

armor = 41.1AP
102 strength= 204 AP

245.1 total AP based on my maths. Ratingsbuster lists it as 251.2 Ap...
My maths let me show you them

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's not a huge difference.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Just got my characters restored. I ended up making about 4000 gold from the stuff the guy sold + the 2500 Blizz gave me. Lost a few hundred badges, almost all my herbs/flasks/pots, and like 50k honor but not that big of a deal. Worst part is how unorganized my damn bags are.

Kyoufu

Angry Grimace said:
:lol

Our haste-obessesed Ret passed on getting T10 to get that stupid War Token because, "lol it has 160 haste!"

lol, so bad.

2pc makes the rotation so fun. Especially when you're surrounded by a holy whirlwind all the time. Cool ass shit ^_^

Oh and tell that guy he sucks for me. I replaced my haste chestpiece with the crit chestpiece from ICC25. Pulled my highest dps; 15k on Twin Valks. What that guy fails to realise is that ret t10 itemisation comes with a lot of haste anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
Anyone finding ratingsbuster to be inaccurate?

armor = 41.1AP
102 strength= 204 AP

245.1 total AP based on my maths. Ratingsbuster lists it as 251.2 Ap...
Also, you probably have a strength multiplier that gives you more value, i.e. Death Knights will receive 3% strength bonuses from Ravenous Dead.

Epix

NameGenerated said:
Just got my characters restored. I ended up making about 4000 gold from the stuff the guy sold + the 2500 Blizz gave me. Lost a few hundred badges, almost all my herbs/flasks/pots, and like 50k honor but not that big of a deal. Worst part is how unorganized my damn bags are.
ArkInventory ftw. Never leave the inn without it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Kyoufu said:
lol, so bad.

2pc makes the rotation so fun. Especially when you're surrounded by a holy whirlwind all the time. Cool ass shit ^_^

Oh and tell that guy he sucks for me. I replaced my haste chestpiece with the crit chestpiece from ICC25. Pulled my highest dps; 15k on Twin Valks. What that guy fails to realise is that ret t10 itemisation comes with a lot of haste anyway.

Since I've got my two set I don't think I've had divine storm go on the full 10 second CD.

I'm prepared to be nerfed any second now. I did too much damage on festergut on tuesday.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Have either of you two ret pallies (or anyone else, I suppose) noticed a "lag" when divinve storm comes off cooldown through the proc?

Sometimes it goes off without a hitch, but others, I have to press it like 3 or 4 times before it will activate, sort of like hitting crusader strike when out of range. IIRC, there was something about it on the E-jerks forums, but I can't seem to find it atm.

Angry Grimace

Kyoufu said:
lol, so bad.

He sucks already. I've been trying to get him replaced but our guild leader is too nice to cut someone. But I'd rather keep him and dump our shitty Tree that doesn't get the concept of not just overhealing the shit out of everything and going OOM every 30 seconds.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Metroidvania said:
Have either of you two ret pallies (or anyone else, I suppose) noticed a "lag" when divinve storm comes off cooldown through the proc?

Sometimes it goes off without a hitch, but others, I have to press it like 3 or 4 times before it will activate, sort of like hitting crusader strike when out of range. IIRC, there was something about it on the E-jerks forums, but I can't seem to find it atm.

Yeah, I can only guess that it's trying to get rid of the CD when it isn't on CD or something.

Epix

Metroidvania said:

From EJ:

The ability lag is normal and got "introduced" somewhere in the BC (iirc) era... It's the client trying to compensate for latency to put everyone on a more or less equal footing regardless of how much lag you have. Overall this was a good change (for PVE, it caused quite a bit of QQ for pvp).

Lets go back in time to the 1.0 area:
You hit an ability, it cooled down normally, and at the end of the cooldown the ability remained 'dark' off CD until you got a message back from the server that the gcd was over at which time it turned bright and you could hit it again.
The bad part of doing things this way is that high lag was severely impacting what you could do.

So somewhere in BC this mechanism was changed and the client now tries to compensate, by allowing you to press a button when the client 'thinks' the button came off CD. The server in turn compensates by accepting a command just slightly before an ability is actually off CD. The command gets queued and starts executing when the GCD of the previous ability is finished.
The server still sends back GCD completed messages and the client uses these to sync back with the server situation.
The bove is a simplified version of things, it's got to be more elaborate than just this, but I don't think blizzard actually has the whole system explained in full detail somewhere.

Overall a nice approach to the situation of latency, but also a cause for occasional headaches at blizzard since it can do some weird things with procs and instant abilities... You can sometimes end up reversing commands executing on the server, because instants get accepted (and executed) right away, wheras normal abilites are accepted and queued until the GCD is over.
I recall a warrior taunt issue a couple months back and a hunter aspec switching thing that would fall into this category. It's part of why blizzard doesn't like abilities off the GCD.

The 'double GCD reset' you're seeing is the client syncing back with the server after a proc. It'll typically manifest itself most prominently in a situation with high latency.

Rotface nerfed officially confirmed

The changes made to Rotface were an effort to fix a bug that fell through the cracks in development and testing. The previous iteration of Rotface in 10 player difficulty used (and still uses) the same timer as the 25 player difficulty version when dispersing its Mutated Infection ability.

What this means, plainly, is that a disproportionate number of people were being put out of the fight near the 30% mark in 10 player (by a large percentage) versus 25 player, making the entire fight much more difficult than intended.

Obviously if you severely outgeared the fight, none of this mattered to you. The HP change will have no effect on your 10 player clears. You will, in fact, still kill Rotface.

The 25 player version of Rotface remains unchanged.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Should I make picking up a flying mount ASAP in outland a priority when I hit 60? I'm pretty sure I'll have the money, but wasn't sure if there will be other things to use the money for at 60 as a warrior. Bonus question: Dual spec? How soon should one pony up the dough for that?

Angry Grimace

Kintaro said:
Should I make picking up a flying mount ASAP in outland a priority when I hit 60? I'm pretty sure I'll have the money, but wasn't sure if there will be other things to use the money for at 60 as a warrior. Bonus question: Dual spec? How soon should one pony up the dough for that?
No, you want a Flying Mount ASAP. You get a ton of spell ranks at Level 60, but that's not necessarily a big deal. Buy 'em when you can afford them. Be aware, you can start to get Outlands quests at 58, not 60, and it's absolutely worth it to just run around Outland doing them at 58; because the quest reward greens are better than old world Epics and the XP rewards are much, much higher per quest in Outlands.

You will want, but not require a dual spec if you want to dip into tanking in BC stuff. Regular leveling dungeons do not typically require anything special to tank beyond having a shield and being in plate rather than leather, although a Prot spec is a huge help.

Be aware you will lose your ability to fly once you enter Northrend because you can't fly in Northrend until 77 (unless you happen to have a level 80 already, which lets you buy a special book to do so at 68).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Also, you probably have a strength multiplier that gives you more value, i.e. Death Knights will receive 3% strength bonuses from Ravenous Dead.
That's what I wasn't adding! So, the mod is accurate. I'm a Computer Science major. The dude getting this mod to work fine but seemingly coding basic math wrong was weird to me.

Kyoufu

LAUGHTREY said:
Since I've got my two set I don't think I've had divine storm go on the full 10 second CD.

I'm prepared to be nerfed any second now. I did too much damage on festergut on tuesday.

You'll soon realise that our 2pc is just as good as everybody else's. Look at DKs, Warriors, etc. They'll be tearing meters too.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How hard is Shadowmourne to get assuming you can down the bosses needed? Basically a lot of emblems or gold for saronite, competition over the other Shadow's Edge mats, and competition for Shadowfrost shards?

It's easier than thunderfury and hand of rag right? Level 60 days.

Kyoufu

DeathNote said:
How hard is Shadowmourne to get assuming you can down the bosses needed? Basically a lot of emblems or gold for saronite, competition over the other Shadow's Edge mats, and competition for Shadowfrost shards?

It's easier than thunderfury and hand of rag right? Level 60 days.

It'll take months. :/

Cipherr

The rogue PvE dps nerf is incoming, officially:

* Upcoming 3.3 balance adjustments 01/07/2010 04:42:37 PM PST

As many of you have suspected, we think rogue damage is too high. We will be making hotfixes to lower the maximum damage output of Assassination and Combat rogues. The Combat nerf will be slight. Both specs should still do just fine on damage meters (assuming skill, gear etc.) but shouldn't be beating out other specs to such a large degree.

Other things on our radar that you might see soon -- none of these are promises and we have no specific changes to announce yet:

-- Warlock damage in PvE is a little low.
-- Protection warriors have too much utility and damage for PvP. (We don't want to hurt their tanking in PvE of course.)
-- We are considering adjusting (not replacing) the Elemental 4 piece Tier 10 set bonus.
-- We'll continue to refine and look at the Icecrown weapon procs.
-- Other stuff (yes, we've heard your concerns), but these are the big things we are focusing on at this time.

Some of these changes, should we decide to pursue them, can be handled via hotfix and others will be made in an upcoming patch.

We usually don't make such general announcements before we're ready to share the specifics, so we'll see how this works out.

Shits been obvious for a long time, but its gotten to the point that when stuff is so clearly out of whack like Mut rogues have been since patch, I dont even stress. Because theres no way in hell they werent going to notice it was doing far far to much damage.

border

Puncture said:
-- Protection warriors have too much utility and damage for PvP. (We don't want to hurt their tanking in PvE of course.)

Is this really that much of a problem? Have prot warriors taken over the Arena since I last checked? Is it worth fucking with their stats and cooldowns over this?

I enjoy PvP when my warrior is in Prot, but I never feel overpowered. It's nice just being able to stunlock the assholes that normally stunlock you (rogues, ret paladins), plus in Battlegrounds you're always a healer's #1 target.

I'd love it if they could rework PvP so that you had more utility and less damage -- turn the class into something akin to a PVP tank.....someone that protects a group by disabling opponents. Create a taunt mechanic that doesn't fuck with the other player's targeting, but when you taunt someone 50% of their target's damage is shared with the the warrior (like a temporary Soul Link). It wouldn't force anyone to target the warrior, but would penalize you for not doing so.

Yaweee

Puncture said:

Shits been obvious for a long time, but its gotten to the point that when stuff is so clearly out of whack like Mut rogues have been since patch, I dont even stress. Because theres no way in hell they werent going to notice it was doing far far to much damage.

Personally, elemental shamans need a bit more work than fixing the four-piece T10 bonus. It's going to be quite a while before that is an issue, but the nerf to the T9 bonus and overall poor itemization for elemental shamans are more immediate problems. I know the focus right now is on T10 stuff, but how about some more elemental mail from the Triumph vendors?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
damnit

i spent 5 miutes trying to find the poison crafting UI... only too see on wowwiki that you buy them pre-crafted now.

that shit that was annoying. thought i lost my mind.

Macattk15

Puncture said:

I'd be fine with it if they nerf DK's and Ret Paladins too.

Belfast

Lame. If it only affects PvE damage anyway, wouldn't you want your rogue to be contributing as much DPS as possible, especially on the new fights? People are bitching only because their e-peen isn't as big as they want it to be.

FLEABttn

Banned
Belfast said:
Lame. If it only affects PvE damage anyway, wouldn't you want your rogue to be contributing as much DPS as possible, especially on the new fights? People are bitching only because their e-peen isn't as big as they want it to be.

If you don't reign in outliers in damage, it punishes those not OP. Effects wouldn't be immediate, but would be noticeable over time, where rogue raid stacking would eventually occur.

Angry Grimace

border said:
Is this really that much of a problem? Have prot warriors taken over the Arena since I last checked? Is it worth fucking with their stats and cooldowns over this?

I enjoy PvP when my warrior is in Prot, but I never feel overpowered. It's nice just being able to stunlock the assholes that normally stunlock you (rogues, ret paladins), plus in Battlegrounds you're always a healer's #1 target.

I'd love it if they could rework PvP so that you had more utility and less damage -- turn the class into something akin to a PVP tank.....someone that protects a group by disabling opponents. Create a taunt mechanic that doesn't fuck with the other player's targeting, but when you taunt someone 50% of their target's damage is shared with the the warrior (like a temporary Soul Link). It wouldn't force anyone to target the warrior, but would penalize you for not doing so.
Prot specs tend to provide a shitload of utility, which is what they hate. If they also do killable damage, it's a bit much, in their opinion.

Cipherr

Belfast said:

And likewise if it only effects PVE as you say, equality would be fine also right? Seeing as thats all people are asking for here. Rogues are out of line currently with other pures and its obvious. Blizzard says right there they will bring them in line with the other pures (with the exception of Locks who clearly need a buff and will get it to be brought in with MM hunters and Arc Mages).

People want balance, PvE PvP whatever. Dont hide behind the "as long as the boss dies" bullshit, when hardmodes hit Balance is absolutely key to making sure good players dont get sat in favor of an "easy" class makeup. Balance > all.

Macattk15

FLEABttn said:
If you don't reign in outliers in damage, it punishes those not OP. Effects wouldn't be immediate, but would be noticeable over time, where rogue raid stacking would eventually occur.

I'm only beating the other classes by like 1k in raids ... thats not THAT much.

Some fights it is different and their is a larger gap ... but that is only some fights ... mostly ones where I don't have to move. Saurfang ... Festergut .....

Cipherr

Macattk15 said:
I'm only beating the other classes by like 1k in raids ... thats not THAT much.

Some fights it is different and their is a larger gap ... but that is only some fights ... mostly ones where I don't have to move. Saurfang ... Festergut .....

That doesnt mean a whole lot.

http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Icecrown_Citadel/dps/

The data is pretty damn clear. Even if its fights where you constantly have to move, the best rogue players stacked against the best players of any other pure skew the same, Rogues dominate, movement or not. Your own personal stats vs your guildies are alot less significant than thousands of parses from hundreds of guilds that clearly show a trend. Feel free to go through every ICC fight there, 10 and 25 man, movement or no movement.

Thing is though, they made a point to mention that they arent about to take a sledge hammer to rogues, but they are adjusting them down to be in line with the rest. Happens everytime that a class rockets out front like that.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, Festergut, man. That dude hits hard. And it's a bit of a learning curve. Fun fight though, wiped about half a dozen times on him, will be even tougher in 25-man from what I can see.:lol

border

Angry Grimace said:
Prot specs tend to provide a shitload of utility, which is what they hate. If they also do killable damage, it's a bit much, in their opinion.

But like I said, is anyone really topping the Arenas with a prot warrior on their team? I don't want to eat a nerf just because of some Battlegrounds whiners.

What exactly could they change that wouldn't hurt tanking? Lower the value of Defense against PVP targets....put a steep diminishing return on stuns.....remove the stun/silence effects on Revenge and Shield Bash.

Does the 540 Defense Cap make you uncrittable in PVP as well? If so I suspect it probably bothers them that you can be PVP-effective without gearing up appropriately.

Weenerz

Banned
Got my mobile authenticator for my new Iphone 3gs, woot for a free core hound. Was surprised that the app itself was free, thought they would charge a few dollars for it.

border

I'm sure they would charge for the Authenticator if they could, but they probably save more money from their Customer Support budget than they would make on a $3-5 App.

Angry Grimace

border said:
But like I said, is anyone really topping the Arenas with a prot warrior on their team? I don't want to eat a nerf just because of some Battlegrounds whiners.

What exactly could they change that wouldn't hurt tanking? Lower the value of Defense against PVP targets....put a steep diminishing return on stuns.....remove the stun/silence effects on Revenge and Shield Bash.

Does the 540 Defense Cap make you uncrittable in PVP as well? If so I suspect it probably bothers them that you can be PVP-effective without gearing up appropriately.
It's not like Prot. Paladin isn't overpowered either. It's amazing in BGs.

In other news, Stinky and Precious should give a frost badge each. I need more.

Cipherr

Hotfixes for Rogues is live already.

* 0. Recent In-Game Fixes - January 2010 - 1/7 01/04/2010 05:35:24 PM PST

quote reply
Listed below are recent fixes we have applied to the game. Keep in mind that some of these changes may not be active until after the realm has been restarted.

To review previous in-game fixes, please visit: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=21723843880&sid=1

1/7/10

* Stealthed rogues should no longer trigger traps in Ice Crown Citadel from long range.

* The base damage bonus from Hunger for Blood has been reduced from 10% to 5%.

* The bonus damage rogues gain from attack power for poisons has been decreased. This applies to Instant Poison, Deadly Poison, and Wound Poison.

5% from HfB and a 10% coefficient nerf to their damaging poisons. Works to about 7.7% overall damage nerf according to the people who updated the rogue spreadsheet.

Completely expected, the decrease will be enough to keep a Mut rogue from taking 80% of the top dps parses on fights that require melee to run around all during the encounter, but still keep them at #1 on fights where they have 100% uptime on the boss with no movement required. Makes perfect freaking sense, crisis averted.

Sciz

-- We are considering adjusting (not replacing) the Elemental 4 piece Tier 10 set bonus.
There is no way to make anyone care about this bonus that doesn't involve dropping the cooldown further (which would trigger PvP QQ without doubt and ruin the value of crit) or adding something like making it refresh flame shock.

It feels like something that was thought up at the same time they designed lava burst, and much like the spell itself, no one ever stopped to think about why it would be a bad thing.

Xabora

Puncture said:
Hotfixes for Rogues is live already.

5% from HfB and a 10% coefficient nerf to their damaging poisons. Works to about 7.7% overall damage nerf according to the people who updated the rogue spreadsheet.

Completely expected, the decrease will be enough to keep a Mut rogue from taking 80% of the top dps parses on fights that require melee to run around all during the encounter, but still keep them at #1 on fights where they have 100% uptime on the boss with no movement required. Makes perfect freaking sense, crisis averted.
Pretty much, rogues sit a whole percent higher on the meters before the fix.

Now? Well... Now I sit a whole percent higher on the meters. :|
I miss the rogue competition.

Angry Grimace

border said:

Lower the damage of Shield Slam but increase it's threat even more, which is a boring and shitty design, Blizzard knows it is (which is why it does decent damage now), but they'll do it anyways to band-aid until Cataclysm, when they can just redesign the ability.

Retro

Wow.com is reporting that Blizzard intends to make Authenticators mandatory...

wow.com said:
According to our sources, while this policy has not been implemented yet and the details are not finalized, it is a virtually forgone conclusion that it will happen.
Source

And yeah, that first comment is mine, and yeah, I said the exact same thing here a few weeks ago (months was clearly an exaggeration, thought I said it in November).

Not surprised at all, considering I ordered mine yesterday. :lol If they do run with this, I predict that the Core Hound pet will be removed before Cataclysm launches, to keep it only for people who had Authenticators before they were given away.

Tamanon

Banned
So....Wowinsider's twitter a little while ago just put a tweet out saying "Alpha soon"

Makes complete sense with a February Lich King.

J-Rzez

Retro said:
Wow.com is reporting that Blizzard intends to make Authenticators mandatory....

All the more to believe that an authenticator will be packed in, or a coupon for a free one will be in the box. How are they to make people have them, when they are only available via download service apps and the store? People would be mighty pissed if they were to buy the game, then have to wait a few days longer before they get their authenticator in.

Tamanon said:
So....Wowinsider's twitter a little while ago just put a tweet out saying "Alpha soon"

Makes complete sense with a February Lich King.

Surprised it's taking this long tbh. I was expecting a summer release for this (early summer at the earliest, and late as the latest. Maybe it won't make it until Oct/Nov afterall. That is, unless they're predicting that they need little time to beta test it this time around.

border

Making the Authenticator mandatory seems like too big of a step. They can put an authenticator in with every boxed copy of the game, but that still leaves out people buying a digital download version.

What they should really do is make it so that they will not accept logins unless they come from a known, trusted IP address. And if you aren't using an IP that they have on file, then you have to use an Authenticator. People who don't have a static IP would receive temporary exemptions while their Authenticator is in the mail. And at the same time, people logging in from trusted IPs would not have to enter an Authenticator code every single time.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
border said:
Making the Authenticator mandatory seems like too big of a step. They can put an authenticator in with every boxed copy of the game, but that still leaves out people buying a digital download version.

What they should really do is make it so that they will not accept logins unless they come from a known, trusted IP address. And if you aren't using an IP that they have on file, then you have to use an Authenticator. People who don't have a static IP would receive temporary exemptions while their Authenticator is in the mail. And at the same time, people logging in from trusted IPs would not have to enter an Authenticator code every single time.
I can see this happening really quick, they know a lot more about their players then we do and if they think they have enough people with it already or enough people will get it then they most likely will.

I would assume it would cost much less to send out free authenticators over a few months than it would to continue to have this much customer support over character reinstatement and such.

Besides the fact that you couldn't download lich king for like 2 weeks until after it was released, that would be enough time to order an auth and get it in if you download it. Otherwise it could come in boxed copies of the game.

border said:

A single 60 (40) second stun and a CC, stunlock does not make. Paladins already have something like that also, it's called Divine Sacrifice/Hand of Sacrifice.

border

Maybe it would feel less like a stunlock if my health wasn't whittled down to 50% before the damned stun even wore off.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Weenerz said:
Got my mobile authenticator for my new Iphone 3gs, woot for a free core hound. Was surprised that the app itself was free, thought they would charge a few dollars for it.

You paying $15 a month because you can access your characters >>> you quitting because your account was hacked and/or calling customer support constantly and draining their budget to recover your stuff.

I love the iPhone authenticator. It's crazy, but it's become a ritual now to grab up my phone while heading towards the computer. I would feel completely weird not doing it (and I used to leave my phone in random rooms).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom