• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tamanon said:
1 per day for the JC daily, but you can also buy them with stacks of 10 titanium powder a pop(from prospecting titanium) and there's a BOE necklace that gives a quest to get a token.

I'd look on your AH and see what cuts sell the most compared to the raw gem cost.
Yeah, that's a good idea.

Looks like alchemists sell the epic gems near the cost of the cut. The mats for the transmutes are quite low compared. Don't know if anyone would but to sell a transmute cool down when they can obviously make a high profit themselves. I wish titansteel didn't get so cheap now a days.

While I'm waiting for patterns.. thought I'd see how much money prospecting could make me. I bought 20 saronite ore and got 3 sun cystal's the sell for 1 gold each. So, I don't think i'll gamble that way. I mined a stack to prospect. The mats turned out to be worth 38g. I'll see if they sell. If I were to just mine I could sell a stack for 20g each.

Not sure If I want to prospect titanium or not.They go for 350g a stack.

Angry Grimace said:
You're essentially throwing money in the trash if you're making an effort to get Titanium Powder. There are better ways to get epic gems and the epic cuts themselves are only vaguely worth the convenience of getting (given that for the most part, dozens of others even within your own guild will have any cut you want). Blowing your JC tokens on dragon's eye is a thought, but I do usually get at least three epic cuts I'll need.
I'm in the process trying to figure out how to make JC profitable. Prospecting doesn't help me move away from farming nodes and I don't want to buy ore to gamble with.

Do alchemists get 6 epic transmutes with separate cooldowns?

DeathNote said:

Looks like alchemists sell the epic gems near the cost of the cut. The mats for the transmutes are quite low compared. Don't know if anyone would but to sell a transmute cool down when they can obviously make a high profit themselves. I wish titansteel didn't get so cheap now a days.

While I'm waiting for patterns.. thought I'd see how much money prospecting could make me. I bought 20 saronite ore and got 3 sun cystal's the sell for 1 gold each. So, I don't think i'll gamble that way. I mined a stack to prospect. The mats turned out to be worth 38g. I'll see if they sell. If I were to just mine I could sell a stack for 20g each.

I've prospected a decent amount of titanium ore (About 20 stacks) and couldn't even break even after selling all my cut gems. Not worth it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:

I'm in the process trying to figure out how to make JC profitable. Prospecting doesn't help me move away from farming nodes and I don't want to buy ore to gamble with.

Do alchemists get 6 epic transmutes with separate cooldowns?
You do not get 6 cooldowns. The cooldown is technically on your transmute in general. If you transmute anything that starts your Philosopher's Stone cooldown, everything goes on it. Most things are on the cooldown, but not all.

Also, our server's Weekly raids just reset and I did them again :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
You do not get 6 cooldowns. The cooldown is technically on your transmute in general. If you transmute anything that starts your Philosopher's Stone cooldown, everything goes on it. Most things are on the cooldown, but not all.

Also, our server's Weekly raids just reset and I did them again :lol
I was looking at the epic gems on AH and the mat costs. I was thinking if each kind of transmute had it's own cooldown that it'd be incredibly profitable considering the epic gems are a lot more expensive than the mats. :lol I'm not an alch by the way.

Sciz

You could go for transmute mastery and gamble on that proccing, but it's hardly a sure thing. Having alchemy and jewelcrafting is great for a slow and steady income that requires minimal work, but you won't get rich quick.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
At 80, what kind of crafting would be good for a Warrior? Right now, I'm doing mining/skinning for money. Easy enough. I have no clue if I'll seriously raid beyond PUGs though. Should I look to move to another profession to be viable for dungeons/raids on that sort of basis?

Kintaro said:
At 80, what kind of crafting would be good for a Warrior? Right now, I'm doing mining/skinning for money. Easy enough. I have no clue if I'll seriously raid beyond PUGs though. Should I look to move to another profession to be viable for dungeons/raids on that sort of basis?

I am personally blacksmithing/jewelcrafting. I find thats a pretty good combo, 2 smith exclusive gem slots :)

Enchanting is very powerful too but it is very expensive and tricky to get up.

border

Just stick with your gathering professions if you're already at 80. Power-leveling other stuff is un-fun, expensive, and the net gain to your character is almost completely negligible (like an extra 80 spellpower or attack power).

At this point in the game it's arguable whether or not your new crafting profession would even be a net gain financially -- which is to say that the cost of materials you'd spend leveling might be greater than the money you would make selling the items you learn how to craft.

If you want some fun and great perks, just pick up Engineering.

Kintaro said:
Heh, I just came in here to ask exactly this (I'm Herb/Skinning though).

How mmuch do you guys thing we are talking to grind to 450 BS/Eng/JC/Ench? (obviously server econ. dependent) I'll probably just do one at first and keep Herbs, though maybe not since I'm in the world less and less now questing - only really doing the Tourney dailies atm.

border

All of the professions are pretty expensive to powerlevel. Go to the profession forums on the official site and you'll usually find guides for all of them. Each guide tells you all the mats you need to get to 450, so you can just look up the prices for your server and do the math yourself.

I suspect you'll end up paying through the nose for a lot of Outland materials, since most people are blasting through there and not spending time to gather. Most people in Outland are probably Death Knights who don't even have a gathering profession leveled far enough to collect the stuff that's in the zones.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
It took me 15 hours of farming and 3,000 gold to get from 1-450 jewelcrafting yesterday/today. Since the patterns cost tokens and you only get 1 a day unless you prospect a lot of titanium ore... I don't know when it'll be profitable.

I guess I'll be slowly getting more and more patterns between now and expansion. People are replacing gear constantly so I hope to make more and more money not having to fly around nodes.

The 3,000 gold took 20 hours farming saronite nodes.

My DK tank friend said he's a JC/miner because he'd only stick +30 stam in the extra blacksmithing slots anyway and mining gives you +60stam.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I personally find if your only goal in leveling a prof. is the raid-level benefits, you're going to be disappointed. You'll get a nice benefit, but it's much nicer if you actually make money. Alchemy's benefit isn't as high as the other ones, but it makes more money.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Angry Grimace said:
I personally find if your only goal in leveling a prof. is the raid-level benefits, you're going to be disappointed. You'll get a nice benefit, but it's much nicer if you actually make money. Alchemy's benefit isn't as high as the other ones, but it makes more money.

I'll say.

Going the last 10 levels to blacksmithing with all that Titansteel was hell.

And I think out of my investment (probably 2000 gold minimum, as I had a friend helping me make the titansteel), beyond making around what I spent selling the helms, I've made maybe ~500 gold in tips for making Ulduar, ToC, and ICC patterns.

Granted, I don't advertise it, but Alchemy and transmuting (or even selling flasks if you still have herbalism) will probably make you far more money.

Angry Grimace

Metroidvania said:
I'll say.

Going the last 10 levels to blacksmithing with all that Titansteel was hell.

And I think out of my investment (probably 2000 gold minimum, as I had a friend helping me make the titansteel), beyond making around what I spent selling the helms, I've made maybe ~500 gold in tips for making Ulduar, ToC, and ICC patterns.

Granted, I don't advertise it, but Alchemy and transmuting (or even selling flasks if you still have herbalism) will probably make you far more money.
The flasks are a money winner on certain days. Guess which ones :D

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've been trying to gear my dk in the regular 80 dungeons, and it's pretty surprising the number of times people didn't realize they weren't in a heroic during the run. I'm looking at their gearscore and wondering "Why is someone with a score of 4700 here?" and they weren't even helping a buddy. Point it out that the dungeon is on regular and they're usually pretty sad after. I've been going as crappy dps, and I feel sorry for some of the tanks trying to hold aggro against these guys, or people complaining the tank's health is in the 20-25k range on a regular dungeon (even though it used to be fine for even heroics in the early days of WotLK). And then they'll complain about a tank shortage on the WoW forums after. If that's the crap they have to put up with, I don't blame them for not bothering to tank. :p

Yaweee

Am I right on the ICC structure here:

- You have to beat the first wing with four bosses before you get to the Upper Spire hub room.
- Each of the next three wings can be done in any order from there once they are unlocked.
- Once you complete all three of the wings, the central pillar will warp you to Arthas

?

Are the two upcoming wings harder than the plagueworks, or roughly equal in difficulty?

Valtheria looks like an interesting fight that groups could kill even if they are unable to beat the plagueworks.

Cipherr

DeathNote said:
It took me 15 hours of farming and 3,000 gold to get from 1-450 jewelcrafting

Holy CRAP at putting 3k into it, wow man. Yeah youll make it back but its going to take a while with that kinda output of gold in order to max it in two days. Jesus.

Your going to need to advertise your cuts once you get one to make that money back if you want to get out of the red quickly. Your definitely not going to get out of the red passively doing cuts IMO. At least not anytime soon. Buy 3 patterns that you can use and that are very popular then start selling the dragons eyes and cutting IMO. You need to get that deficit down asap.

Run WG, get honor and tokens, turn them into Honor, trade honor for gems at 10k honor a pop, cut them and sell them. Etc etc, your gonna need to work that off.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Puncture said:
Holy CRAP at putting 3k into it, wow man. Yeah youll make it back but its going to take a while with that kinda output of gold in order to max it in two days. Jesus.

Your going to need to advertise your cuts once you get one to make that money back if you want to get out of the red quickly. Your definitely not going to get out of the red passively doing cuts IMO. At least not anytime soon. Buy 3 patterns that you can use and that are very popular then start selling the dragons eyes and cutting IMO. You need to get that deficit down asap.

Run WG, get honor and tokens, turn them into Honor, trade honor for gems at 10k honor a pop, cut them and sell them. Etc etc, your gonna need to work that off.
Well I made that 3k farming and selling saronite ore for 15-20g a stack. Took like 20 hours give or take.

I notice I get anywhere from 5g to 60g prospecting a stack of saronite. Not enough data to be confident in it or not.

I made the decision to level cause I was sick of farming nodes for cash. Looks like I still have to for now. I also heard it wad the best raid/money maker. But now I'm filling like alch is.

Today is the furthest day away from the cat expansion. I'll get to get and milk more patterns between now and then. And I'll be 450 ready and waiting.

Edit: yeah I bought some gems with honor. I'm not going to waste tokens on dragon's eye tho. It only sells for 100-200 and I can farm that with saronite/dailies. The tokens are more valuable for patterns IMO.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Mr Nash said:
I've been trying to gear my dk in the regular 80 dungeons, and it's pretty surprising the number of times people didn't realize they weren't in a heroic during the run. I'm looking at their gearscore and wondering "Why is someone with a score of 4700 here?" and they weren't even helping a buddy. Point it out that the dungeon is on regular and they're usually pretty sad after. I've been going as crappy dps, and I feel sorry for some of the tanks trying to hold aggro against these guys, or people complaining the tank's health is in the 20-25k range on a regular dungeon (even though it used to be fine for even heroics in the early days of WotLK). And then they'll complain about a tank shortage on the WoW forums after. If that's the crap they have to put up with, I don't blame them for not bothering to tank. :p
How do you tell any way? I add the forge of souls normal to the queue and I can only tell on boss loot.

Angry Grimace

FLEABttn said:
As more or less a 10 man only raider in a 10 man only guild, 10 man isn't a total walk in the park. Some bosses were easy the first week sure, but these new bosses certainly are a step up. We spent a good 6-7 attempts on Festergut before we killed him and a good 5 attempts on Rotface before people had to leave (it's progression night, come on). Festergut allows the DPS to be almost braindead and is more a healer/tank fight, so the execution of it at the moment is easier. Rotface is a more complex fight, where I think that what everyone was supposed to be doing wasn't understood at all until our last attempt. Hopefully it'll be easier next time.

Also, for any high end raiding warriors or people who know about them better than I do:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drenden&n=Saba

He's squishy. Why is he squishy? Is it something gear/gem/glyph/spec related or is he just doing it wrong?
Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman is kind of crappy because his Defense is 573, a full 33 over the softcap. He's something like 170 rating over the softcap. It "does" something beyond 540, but the returns diminish literally and figuratively.

The Glyph of Indominability might help as it's armor is nice amount. People overlook armor because for the most part, you don't have any options to get more of it. The Triumph ring has some armor and dodge on it too, but he'd lose some stamina. It sounds like he's just dying all the time regardless of his actual health though, because his stamina is fine for 10m ICC.

It also could be that he's not using his Shield Block, etc. cooldowns at the right times.

Something you can make use of on melee damage heavy fights like Festergut to help with tank death is chugging an Indestructible Potion (Use: Increases armor by 3500 for 2 min, 1 Min Cooldown) right before the pull (which keeps the combat cooldown from starting and just starts the regular cooldown), and then chug another one when that one falls off or when that tank retakes the boss. You'll get ~4 minutes of uptime, and given that the enrage timer is like 5 minutes, you'll get it almost the whole time. It does prevent you from using Healing Pots, but the overall effective health from the armor is quite a bit higher. (Obviously, this is less helpful on fights with mostly magical damage or little tank damage)

The only other idea I've got is that he can use the PvP shoulder inscription to stack even more stamina since he really doesn't seem to need much more avoidance from Defense.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Edit: yeah I bought some gems with honor. I'm not going to waste tokens on dragon's eye tho. It only sells for 100-200 and I can farm that with saronite/dailies. The tokens are more valuable for patterns IMO.
:lol

You'll see. It costs about 500g in mats to get a cut if you consider the cost of a Dragon's Eye (you make ~120g for literally a 3 minute quest).

I personally hate making money by spamming the shit out of trade, but it's your money/tokens.

The fact is, the average cost of a gem that's cut is like ~30g more than a raw one, and there really are only so many useful gems.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
DeathNote said:
How do you tell any way? I add the forge of souls normal to the queue and I can only tell on boss loot.

I figure people would usually notice in the selections menu for the lfg tool. It's either random heroic, random regular, or the big list of individual 5-man dungeons that are categorized by regular, and heroic. I could see someone accidentally selecting the wrong one when it's late, and they're sleepy, but it's been happening so often that I've been surprised by this. On the plus side, it does help the runs go by faster. :p

Xabora

mt9n69.jpg

EDIT:
Nevermind, just found out the image is a fake.

FLEABttn

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman is kind of crappy because his Defense is 573, a full 33 over the softcap. He's something like 170 rating over the softcap. It "does" something beyond 540, but the returns diminish literally and figuratively.

The Glyph of Indominability might help as it's armor is nice amount. People overlook armor because for the most part, you don't have any options to get more of it. The Triumph ring has some armor and dodge on it too, but he'd lose some stamina. It sounds like he's just dying all the time regardless of his actual health though, because his stamina is fine for 10m ICC.

It also could be that he's not using his Shield Block, etc. cooldowns at the right times.

Something you can make use of on melee damage heavy fights like Festergut to help with tank death is chugging an Indestructible Potion (Use: Increases armor by 3500 for 2 min, 1 Min Cooldown) right before the pull (which keeps the combat cooldown from starting and just starts the regular cooldown), and then chug another one when that one falls off or when that tank retakes the boss. You'll get ~4 minutes of uptime, and given that the enrage timer is like 5 minutes, you'll get it almost the whole time. It does prevent you from using Healing Pots, but the overall effective health from the armor is quite a bit higher. (Obviously, this is less helpful on fights with mostly magical damage or little tank damage)

The only other idea I've got is that he can use the PvP shoulder inscription to stack even more stamina since he really doesn't seem to need much more avoidance from Defense.

Thanks for the insight, myself and another guy are gonna see about convincing him to make some changes. We're actually concerned he might not use shield block because he hates block.

Also, did more Rotface 10 today. Unfortunately a number of our A team were missing, so we went in with what ended up being pretty bad people. That fight will destroy you.

Xabora

FLEABttn said:
I can't read.

But I was in the WotLK F&F Alpha, and there were no physical discs.

It wouldn't prevent anything anyways because it'd get leaked to hell and back. I suppose they could watermark each version but that sounds fairly in depth for their intents and purposes.
Well its said to start this tuesday, but distro method is up in the air currently.

Cipherr

2ch2em8.jpg

That is the single most awesome thing I have ever seen, look at how many Valkyrs that staff procced. Must be like 20+ there from the AoE used on the whelps proccing them.

Look at the damage meter, Valkyrs holding spot 13 pulling tons of dps on their own amping the mages dps on the meter by a crapton.

Hilarious.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Neat, I thought the valkyrs dps was just slapped onto whoever had them. Didn't realize they were treated as independent. Very cool.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Because there's an icon on your map that tells you if you're in heroic or not. It's a little banner with a skull and a 5.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
does army of the dead taunt in 5 man heroics? i'm reading conflicting info.
It taunts everything that's not a raid boss, including Blood Beasts. Found that out the hard way :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It taunts everything that's not a raid boss, including Blood Beasts. Found that out the hard way :lol
Me too:lol I read the paragraph about it on elitist jerks. I guess it's meant to be about raids. Anyways, I've been using it certain bosses in heroics. Been using it n the last boss in VH in particular cause it's a cake boss. Especially with geared players. I haven't had aggro problems until this pally tank a while ago.:

"
-fuck you army. never summon it again.
-get out, bitch. "

At that point my cat was meowing so I went to let it downstairs and get food. I came back to this:

"-i was telling you to leave
-you're a bad DK
-just so you know, your crappy team behavior got you ignored by a tank and healer. happy dps queueing!
-:)
-so how long are you going to sit here getting nothing done?"

If you're on neogaf... an ignorant player can learn from their mistakes and become better... an asshole typically stays an asshole. Don't want to group with you either. kthnx.

Cipherr

DeathNote said:
Me too:lol I read the paragraph about it on elitist jerks. I guess it's meant to be about raids. Anyways, I've been using it certain bosses in heroics. Been using it n the last boss in VH in particular cause it's a cake boss. Especially with geared players. I haven't had aggro problems until this pally tank a while ago.:

"
-fuck you army. never summon it again.
-get out, bitch. "

At that point my cat was meowing so I went to let it downstairs and get food. I came back to this:

"-i was telling you to leave
-you're a bad DK
-just so you know, your crappy team behavior got you ignored by a tank and healer. happy dps queueing!
-:)
-so how long are you going to sit here getting nothing done?"

If you're on neogaf... an ignorant player can learn from their mistakes and become better... an asshole typically stays an asshole. Don't want to group with you either. kthnx.

Sounds like you won out there, douche bags for sure. Ironic that they think they are the ones 'saving' themselves there when its actually you who will benefit.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
A bit late, but finally had a taste of ICC 10. It was a pug, and we only downed Marrowgar, but it was a fun way to start the day. We couldn't get past Deathwhisper, though. One problem I was having there was dispelling the bubbles on the adherents. When they were still human they were fine, but using mass dispel on them when they were skeletons would not get rid of the bubble. Am I doing something wrong there?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Puncture said:
Sounds like you won out there, douche bags for sure. Ironic that they think they are the ones 'saving' themselves there when its actually you who will benefit.
Yeah. Looks like they were together as a guild. Two of the guild mates were tag teaming me there,

By the way no ones health went down at all. The boss just kept spinning for like 10 seconds while dropping in HP.

Tamanon

Banned
Mr Nash said:
A bit late, but finally had a taste of ICC 10. It was a pug, and we only downed Marrowgar, but it was a fun way to start the day. We couldn't get past Deathwhisper, though. One problem I was having there was dispelling the bubbles on the adherents. When they were still human they were fine, but using mass dispel on them when they were skeletons would not get rid of the bubble. Am I doing something wrong there?

You don't get rid of the bubble, the melee just tear through it.

Beat Festergut on our 3rd try tonight.

Tried Rotface a bunch of times but we couldnt get him down. Still need to work on the kiting of the slimes and such. People just keep dying throughout the fight from slimes and such.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Yeah. Looks like they were together as a guild. Two of the guild mates were tag teaming me there,

By the way no ones health went down at all. The boss just kept spinning for like 10 seconds while dropping in HP.
I always use Army of the Dead on Cyanagosa. I don't see what the big fucking deal is. I don't see what reason you *can't* use Army of the Dead on a brainless heroic boss with 0 dangerous attacks in the first place, much less a cleave or a tail swipe.

lordmrw

Mr Nash said:

The two times i've done ICC 10, we've been lopsided on the melee dps side, so when we get to Deathwhisper, its been me and a paladin as the only melee taking down the adherents. Put extra pressure on me to step it up and down them as fast as possible. I manage to do it, but fuck me if it isn't hard as hell like this.

Hixx

We only had 2 physical dps in our last run, me and a rogue. Had no trouble getting the adherents down. 4k dps each and we still had time between waves to go and have a few whacks at Deathwhisper's shield. Then we beat the enrage by about 8 seconds on our second attempt ever. We don't raid much so I was well chuffed with how it went, especially when you consider half our guild don't understand how the debuffs in toc10 worms work :lol

Angry Grimace

HixxSAFC said:
We only had 2 physical dps in our last run, me and a rogue. Had no trouble getting the adherents down. 4k dps each and we still had time between waves to go and have a few whacks at Deathwhisper's shield. Then we beat the enrage by about 8 seconds on our second attempt ever. We don't raid much so I was well chuffed with how it went, especially when you consider half our guild don't understand how the debuffs in toc10 worms work :lol
Yeah, Deathwhisper is ridiculously simple on 10m since you can obliterate the adds and just rip her shield for 15-20s without trouble. Now if only she'd drop something useful (i.e. my Whispering Skull!)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hrm i got spam from "blizzard" telling me that my accounts password had been changed (it hasn't) and that i was expecting a 3 hour ban (i canceled my account early jan). So now i log in and check everything, my original PW is fine, authenticator still works but when i click on cancel subscription it claims my recurring subscription is NOT yet canceled? My license status is frozen though.

What the hecks going on? :lol

Is there a difference between license status and subscription? I figured canceling one would kill the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom