• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yaweee said:
They should redo the Roll system on items that everybody can use, like mounts, bags, and orbs to:

I WANT THIS
I DO NOT WANT THIS

Some guy was bitching when four of us needed the 22 slot bag, while he rolled greed. There's really only two cases with that type of roll debate:

1) Greed on something you want on the chance that everybody, despite being from different servers, is on the exact same page with you with regard to loot rules while exposing yourself to losing rolls to people that do not have your exact same roll philsophy.

-or-

2) Need on things you want and can use.
Need rolls on bags, mounts and orbs are the standard, but I never roll need on Frozen Orbs because they are virtually useless other than spellthread which I'm far too lazy to farm stuff for.

DrCuddles

Neo Member
Angry Grimace said:
Need rolls on bags, mounts and orbs are the standard, but I never roll need on Frozen Orbs because they are virtually useless other than spellthread which I'm far too lazy to farm stuff for.
I even need on Frozen orbs every time to be honest, I get so many complaints from people saying I'm ninja'ing. I'm a damn tailor so I actually do NEED them.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This is already in the game. They are Need and Greed.
To be honest 70% of the people on the game are pricks and I constantly get 5 man pugs were people just need on every item regardless of whether they actually do need them. It's mostly tanks and healers because they know they're never going to be kicked from a group.

J-Rzez

DrCuddles said:
It's mostly tanks and healers because they know they're never going to be kicked from a group.

That's what they think. All the dps kicked tanks and healers before. I remember a tank telling us "good luck getting a tank", then I just swapped specs and gear in front of him and booted we booted him. :lol

We've been kicking those big ego tanks and healers now for some time. Like we're not going to replace them, no way possible.

arhra

FLEABttn said:
Zero 10 man strict guilds on my server have the plagueworks achievement. Only 5 guilds have gotten the 10 man achievement on my server, and they were all 25 man guilds. My guild was about 300k away from it. Rotface isn't properly tuned. Putricide is iffy as well.
I'm in a 10man strict guild who got Putricide last week. He actually felt just about perfectly tuned for us - we had 3 attempts left when he went down, and every try we had felt like we were making progress. In contrast, Rotface took us 37 attempts across three raids (two days on the first week, one on the second), and when we got him we felt more like we'd just got lucky, rather than actually executing the encounter properly (something like 4 people left alive at the end, and all our soulstones/combat resses/ankhs used, with 10 player deaths throughout the fight).

We're in what i'd probably consider a fairly typical mix of ToC/ToGC gear, with some gear from ICC (we took one week off over christmas/new year, so missed a few pieces there, but nothing major), and only just killed Anub heroic last night (although we killed him and missed Insanity by one wipe, because we weren't expecting him to be so easy and we forgot to set healing assignments... so we probably could have taken him down earlier if we hadn't been focussed on ICC).

The guildox achievement stats for Plagueworks are pretty telling, i think (18% of 25man guilds have cleared it, but only 0.33% of 10man strict guilds), with only 112 strict guilds having cleared it as of right now (49 EU, 62 US, and one lonely TW guild).

DrCuddles

Neo Member
J-Rzez said:
That's what they think. All the dps kicked tanks and healers before. I remember a tank telling us "good luck getting a tank", then I just swapped specs and gear in front of him and booted we booted him. :lol

We've been kicking those big ego tanks and healers now for some time. Like we're not going to replace them, no way possible.
Haha nice, I dunno I've just got a bad experience getting tanks and healers, well my dad who I'm pretty much always on with is a healer so that isn't a problem but we always wait ages for tanks.

We're on the European servers though so it will be different to the USA.

J-Rzez

arhra said:
I'm in a 10man strict guild who got Putricide last week. He actually felt just about perfectly tuned for us - we had 3 attempts left when he went down, and every try we had felt like we were making progress. In contrast, Rotface took us 37 attempts across three raids (two days on the first week, one on the second), and when we got him we felt more like we'd just got lucky, rather than actually executing the encounter properly (something like 4 people left alive at the end, and all our soulstones/combat resses/ankhs used, with 10 player deaths throughout the fight).

We're in what i'd probably consider a fairly typical mix of ToC/ToGC gear, with some gear from ICC (we took one week off over christmas/new year, so missed a few pieces there, but nothing major), and only just killed Anub heroic last night (although we killed him and missed Insanity by one wipe, because we weren't expecting him to be so easy and we forgot to set healing assignments... so we probably could have taken him down earlier if we hadn't been focussed on ICC).

You sound similar to us. We didn't take that long to get Rotface down (but it sure does take an unnecessary amount due to rng bull), but we're having some issues with Putricide. We're just struggling on him. Be it the slimes spawning in the walls, or him throwing the goo on the stack. What strat did you guys follow?

FLEABttn

Banned
arhra said:

Well, I feel like we have the fight down in general, we just lack the DPS to get through the soft enrage. It was shakier than it could have been, so I'll see how we fare this weekend.

I still expect Rotface to be a bitch though because that fight feels so random. We have the strat down more or less, and then we'll get hit with a bugged slime or two that won't merge. Or the squishiest person getting the injection three times in a row while the tank is in the slime flood.

Quick question:

I cancelled my WoW account in Nov of 2009, and this evening received two emails from Blizzard. One saying my account was banned for 72 hours for economy manipulation and the other saying I requested a password change. So obviously my account was hacked even though I wasn't playing.

From everyone else's experience what's the best of going about addressing/fixing this? Should I call their tech/game support or just email them? I'm a bit suspicious of emailing them anything if I have some sort of keylogger on my cpu. I have virus/malware protection, so I'm assuming the failure has to be that somewhere.

Xabora

OJdaKiller said:
Quick question:

I cancelled my WoW account in Nov of 2009, and this evening received two emails from Blizzard. One saying my account was banned for 72 hours for economy manipulation and the other saying I requested a password change. So obviously my account was hacked even though I wasn't playing.

From everyone else's experience what's the best of going about addressing/fixing this? Should I call their tech/game support or just email them? I'm a bit suspicious of emailing them anything if I have some sort of keylogger on my cpu. I have virus/malware protection, so I'm assuming the failure has to be that somewhere.
Call them, check your system.
Make sure to have your CD-Keys handy if need be.

OJdaKiller said:
Quick question:

That's bizarrre. During my guilds raid tonight, one of our main tanks got dc'd. When he tried to get back on he found that he had a temporary ban. Later, I go to our guild website and another member of my guild, who had his account stolen and only recently recovered it, just received a ban for stuff he couldn't have done since his account was hacked (i'm assuming whoever got on the account is responsible). So then I check neogaf only to find that you have just had the same thing happen. 3 in one night is strange.

Xabora

Deputy Moonman said:
That's bizarrre. During my guilds raid tonight, one of our main tanks got dc'd. When he tried to get back on he found that he had a temporary ban. Later, I go to our guild website and another member of my guild, who had his account stolen and only recently recovered it, just received a ban for stuff he couldn't have done since his account was hacked (i'm assuming whoever got on the account is responsible). So then I check neogaf only to find that you have just had the same thing happen. 3 in one night is strange.
2 happened on my server earlier today.
Both officers on some decent guilds.

EDIT:
Forgot to post this.
ifoo0l.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rotface is a right pain in the fucking ass compared to Festergut. If the damn slimes would actually merge instead of just hanging around hitting people who happen to be taking lots of damage from the Big Ooze's aura o' doom, it might be less irritating and randomly based on who gets the stupid infection.

Deputy Moonman said:

It gets a bit weirder....I just checked the armory, and it shows they received a heroism badge as well as got one of the children's week pets. Both of these activities happened on the 20th of Jan while all my previous activity was from the middle of Nov....Anyways, I'll still call them tomorrow. I'm dying with anticipation for how the wait on the phone will be..=/

arhra

J-Rzez said:
You sound similar to us. We didn't take that long to get Rotface down (but it sure does take an unnecessary amount due to rng bull), but we're having some issues with Putricide. We're just struggling on him. Be it the slimes spawning in the walls, or him throwing the goo on the stack. What strat did you guys follow?
Well, we didn't have any significant bugs, so not a lot i can say that might help mitigate those, but the big things that made a difference for us were refining how we moved him around for the slime/gas spawns (taking him as far away from the green slime as possible and everyone stacking up by the far wall, but only going to around the middle of the room for the orange gas to give the kiter some room to run and meaning we lose less dps time moving back and forth), and timing the phase transitions to make sure we didn't have an add or slime pools up during it. If you have decent dps, you should be able to hold dps a few seconds to burn down the adds or give your abom driver time to eat a pool without risking the enrage timer too much, and having a clean transition helps a ton (especially for phase 3, you really don't want a slime pool down already when it starts or you run out of space to move fast).

OJdaKiller said:
Quick question:

The one scam e-mail that I received was for economy manipulation as well which made me question it as I hadn't played the game in 6 months. I ended up e-mailing Blizzard asking if I had any bannings in my account history and they were able to confirm it being bogus.

I would still call up or e-mail Blizzard just to be on the safe side.

J-Rzez

arhra said:
Well, we didn't have any significant bugs, so not a lot i can say that might help mitigate those, but the big things that made a difference for us were refining how we moved him around for the slime/gas spawns (taking him as far away from the green slime as possible and everyone stacking up by the far wall, but only going to around the middle of the room for the orange gas to give the kiter some room to run and meaning we lose less dps time moving back and forth), and timing the phase transitions to make sure we didn't have an add or slime pools up during it. If you have decent dps, you should be able to hold dps a few seconds to burn down the adds or give your abom driver time to eat a pool without risking the enrage timer too much, and having a clean transition helps a ton (especially for phase 3, you really don't want a slime pool down already when it starts or you run out of space to move fast).

Hmm, sounds very familiar. Dunno why we're having the problems we are with it. : /

arhra

It's just one of those fights where everyone has to be on the ball, and at appropriate gear levels there's not a lot of margin for error, i think. If your server is being laggy and screwing things up that's definitely not going to help any.

Macattk15

Man I got 3 upgrades last night that I had been long awaiting from ToGC ...

Steel Bladebreaker, Ring of Callous Aggression and Death's Verdict.

Death's Verdict cost me 10k DKP .... we bid on items, a DK bid all in at like 9800 or something so I just bombed my all in right after him. He was so pissed at me.

Of all the things I was happiest to get the heroic offhand dagger because they never drop ANYWHERE.

Xabora said:
EDIT:
Forgot to post this.
ifoo0l.png

Algalon sure is hard in 264 gear :p

funkmastergeneral said:
wiped with Blood Queen at 20k HP on last attempt

Dammit

I feel your pain man, about the same thing happened to us too on 25 man. Oh well, there is always next week.

Dunlop

Yaweee said:
You know you can buy enchantment scrolls on the AH now, don't you?

Thank you again for this, now I can actually equip most of the items I have from Dungeon runs. My tier 2 gear with enchantments was usually edging them out.

I need to read up on mana regen in WOW, using 3 pieces of transcendance gives me 25 mana / 5 secs but with all the blue gems on the AH, that does not seem to be a big deal anymore. I have shoulders with to Blue Sockets, I put 2 mana regen gems (same type), do they stack?

I need to get to 70 so I have my choice of mace/dagger and offhand with great bonuses. I'm not sure why there is a deficiency of caster classes in my groups but I'm definately enjoying it. I think the only thing I have not received is a chest of some type.

Hit 68, now to see if I can resist WOTLK for a while longer

Yaweee

Dunlop said:
Thank you again for this, now I can actually equip most of the items I have from Dungeon runs. My tier 2 gear with enchantments was usually edging them out.

I need to read up on mana regen in WOW, using 3 pieces of transcendance gives me 25 mana / 5 secs but with all the blue gems on the AH, that does not seem to be a big deal anymore. I have shoulders with to Blue Sockets, I put 2 mana regen gems (same type), do they stack?

I need to get to 70 so I have my choice of mace/dagger and offhand with great bonuses. I'm not sure why there is a deficiency of caster classes in my groups but I'm definately enjoying it. I think the only thing I have not received is a chest of some type.

Hit 68, now to see if I can resist WOTLK for a while longer

Keep leveling in Netherstorm for now. I love that zone, and it is fast as hell.

Angry Grimace

Yaweee said:
Keep leveling in Netherstorm for now. I love that zone, and it is fast as hell.
Except the XP rewards for quests and mobs in Northrend is significantly higher and there are far more quests than you need to hit 80.

Dunlop

Angry Grimace said:
Except the XP rewards for quests and mobs in Northrend is significantly higher and there are far more quests than you need to hit 80.

Except Northrend might not save me from wife aggro, I did not expect to blow though BC in a week :D

My buddy got busy and never used the free trial, I was expecting to be leveling my druid who is lvl 9. I tried to do it solo and it's just as painful as I remember and quicly reverted back to my priest and dungeon runs....

FLEABttn

Banned
Macattk15 said:
Didn't know there was anything wrong with it.

I haven't gone to it yet because our raids are Friday/Saturday, but there were reports of the damage being as high as the damage on 25 man. A couple other things as well.

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:
Didn't know there was anything wrong with it.
The tank damage was apparently nearly as high on 10m as 25m, which is illogical because 10m expects you to be in a mix of 232s and 251s, and 25m expects you to be in a mix of 245s and 264s.

They also hotfixed the Blood Queen to not aggro you while fighting the blood princes :lol, in addition to extending the duration of Essence of the Blood Queen on 25m because a strategy had developed which involved just killing raid members to avoid the mechanics of the fight.

I don't know why they are making all sorts of drastic changes via hotfix now. Kinda runs counter to their old philosophy.

Macattk15

Angry Grimace said:
The tank damage was apparently nearly as high on 10m as 25m, which is illogical because 10m expects you to be in a mix of 232s and 251s, and 25m expects you to be in a mix of 245s and 264s.

They also hotfixed the Blood Queen to not aggro you while fighting the blood princes :lol, in addition to extending the duration of Essence of the Blood Queen on 25m because a strategy had developed which involved just killing raid members to avoid the mechanics of the fight.

I don't know why they are making all sorts of drastic changes via hotfix now. Kinda runs counter to their old philosophy.

Ah. Yeah I'm in a 25 man guild who has done Insanity in ToGC and killed everything but that blasted Lanathiel so it seemed ok for us.

And wow, a guild really did 60 million damage to her in 6 mins on 25 man WITHOUT using any vampires? That is quite a bit of DPS. I mean we thought of the strategy of letting the person she bites first die so there were no vamps ... but it just seemed SO impossible to us.

And yeah, kinda really annoyed they fix her now after we blew 13 attempts on her Weds night. They should wait until Tuesday to do it or give us those attempts back. Especially since we were sub 5% on like 4-5 of those attempts.

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:
Ah. Yeah I'm in a 25 man guild who has done Insanity in ToGC and killed everything but that blasted Lanathiel so it seemed ok for us.

And wow, a guild really did 60 million damage to her in 6 mins on 25 man WITHOUT using any vampires? That is quite a bit of DPS. I mean we thought of the strategy of letting the person she bites first die so there were no vamps ... but it just seemed SO impossible to us.

And yeah, kinda really annoyed they fix her now after we blew 13 attempts on her Weds night. They should wait until Tuesday to do it or give us those attempts back. Especially since we were sub 5% on like 4-5 of those attempts.
I think you just delay the first bite cycle so that you got a full extra minute. i.e. The first guy bites another dps and then dies at the next bite.

I'm having the usual problem with WoW.

Inability to find a good guild. Guild I'm in atm has struggled to get people (healers always) for 10 mans. Theres no healers about and the server has 2 mega guilds that have taken a lot.

As such we've had to recruit a load of noobs and gone from wtfpwning togc 10man 2 weeks in a row to being unable to kill the faction champions fight.

Depressing.

Angry Grimace

MrPing1000 said:
I'm having the usual problem with WoW.

Inability to find a good guild. Guild I'm in atm has struggled to get people (healers always) for 10 mans. Theres no healers about and the server has 2 mega guilds that have taken a lot.

As such we've had to recruit a load of noobs and gone from wtfpwning togc 10man 2 weeks in a row to being unable to kill the faction champions fight.

Depressing.
That's odd. I've noticed the "healer drought" to be virtually non-existent now that everyone has like 50 alts :lol

Flib

Dunlop said:
Except Northrend might not save me from wife aggro, I did not expect to blow though BC in a week :D

My buddy got busy and never used the free trial, I was expecting to be leveling my druid who is lvl 9. I tried to do it solo and it's just as painful as I remember and quicly reverted back to my priest and dungeon runs....

As I said earlier, I always hated Druids, even doing RAF, but over the course of the last year I leveled it here and there....just hit 60 last night and the class gets super super fun and easy to level. Most fun I've had in the game in a long while.

Angry Grimace

Flib said:
As I said earlier, I always hated Druids, even doing RAF, but over the course of the last year I leveled it here and there....just hit 60 last night and the class gets super super fun and easy to level. Most fun I've had in the game in a long while.
Most classes get super fun around 60. I personally think it's shitty that it works like that. You feel super weak until you magically get talents/skills at 55+ that make you less shitty.

Flib

Angry Grimace said:
Most classes get super fun around 60. I personally think it's shitty that it works like that. You feel super weak until you magically get talents/skills at 55+ that make you less shitty.

Yeah, I just feel like Druids have maybe the worst initial leveling experience. I mean, levels 10-20 you just have bear form, so you're running around as a tank instead of being able to dps, and bear form is so awfully boring at that level. They really should give cat form first.

Angry Grimace

Flib said:
Yeah, I just feel like Druids have maybe the worst initial leveling experience. I mean, levels 10-20 you just have bear form, so you're running around as a tank instead of being able to dps, and bear form is so awfully boring at that level. They really should give cat form first.
What do you think Priest 10-20 is like :lol That's right: Smites are your only attack, but you are still in cloth.

Paladins have no attacks other than Seal of Righteousness and Consecrate (which drains most of your mana at low levels) until level 40.

Druids have shitty bear form and like one attack.

Warriors used to have nothing but Heroic Strike until like level 30, but they at least have Victory Rush now, but they also have no healing.

Death Knights start in god mode :lol

Angry Grimace said:
What do you think Priest 10-20 is like :lol That's right: Smites are your only attack, but you are still in cloth.

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=17

:p

I'm levelling a mage over my holidays and I've decided to do it right. I'm one of those players who always gets to max-level and thinks "damn it I need to level [PROFESSION], why didn't I do it as I was going?" So my mage got to level 35 at 150 herbalism and alchemy, and a similar first aid level.

Also I've accidentally rolled a character with the right race/class combo for how I want to play it. Squidgoat mage with herbalism is really hot, at least where I am right now. Having two HoTs to pull out on demand and the extra hit is actually really useful. I'm frost so I have the extra critical chance on frozen stuff, which means I can mount up, run into a group of mobs, nova, blink, blizzard and win. If anything survives, hit GotN or Lifeblood and kite kite kite kite kite.

Lots of fun.

Sullen

Priest 1-40 is the 2nd most shitty thing in the game, and I've leveled every class to 60 or higher. I leveled the priest back in vanilla, so maybe things have changed, but until you get shadowform you are pretty useless. All you have is survivability. The worst one by far though is warrior. What a fucking pain in the ass.

Sullen said:
Priest 1-40 is the 2nd most shitty thing in the game, and I've leveled every class to 60 or higher. I leveled the priest back in vanilla, so maybe things have changed, but until you get shadowform you are pretty useless. All you have is survivability. The worst one by far though is warrior. What a fucking pain in the ass.

Totally disagree. I rolled my priest about 6 months before TBC, twinked the crap out of it and then started levelling shadow. Once you get to level 20 and get Mind Flay the world is nothing but a giant ball of wax awaiting your melting touch.

Dunlop

Angry Grimace said:

I remember being afraid to heal myself when soloing as the aggro range was huge

FLEABttn

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Totally disagree. I rolled my priest about 6 months before TBC, twinked the crap out of it and then started levelling shadow. Once you get to level 20 and get Mind Flay the world is nothing but a giant ball of wax awaiting your melting touch.

What? Priest leveling is like cancer infected AIDS. Almost nobody has more downtime than them. I'm surprised any are 80 because I would literally rather hit my dick with a hammer.

johnsmith

remember me
I leveled my main, a draenei shadow priest, when BC came out and it was incredibly easy. Open up with smite or mind blast, start strafing away from the mob while you SW:pain, then start wanding. Once the mob gets to you psychic scream or pw:s, and keep wanding. You'll take almost no damage and the mob dies quickly. And it only got easier as you leveled and got mind flay, shadowform, and vampiric touch. No downtime at all.

Angry Grimace

FLEABttn said:
What? Priest leveling is like cancer infected AIDS. Almost nobody has more downtime than them. I'm surprised any are 80 because I would literally rather hit my dick with a hammer.
At level 60 it becomes very easy, actually, because of a combination of

1) Dispersion
2) Face melting randomly starts scaling such that it does a shitload of damage.

FLEABttn

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
At level 60 it becomes very easy, actually, because of a combination of

1) Dispersion
2) Face melting randomly starts scaling such that it does a shitload of damage.

Mine's 73 and it's the worst class I've leveled. There's got to be something I'm not getting.

johnsmith said:
I leveled my main, a draenei shadow priest, when BC came out and it was incredibly easy. Open up with smite or mind blast, start strafing away from the mob while you SW:pain, then start wanding. Once the mob gets to you psychic scream or pw:s, and keep wanding. You'll take almost no damage and the mob dies quickly. And it only got easier as you leveled and got mind flay, shadowform, and vampiric touch. No downtime at all.

Ding-a-ling.

FLEABttn said:
Mine's 73 and it's the worst class I've leveled. There's got to be something I'm not getting.

Could be. I just really enjoy the toolkit myself. It depends on how fast you want to go but I really enjoy the fact that I have to stop and think about my approach to many situations when leveling a priest, especially as my hunter, druid and now my mage are proving to be a little too effective. They start to feel like "push button x 10000 = level up" after a while.

Even still, like Smitty said, when it comes to the basic questing component of killing single mobs around your level it's quite comparable to other classes really.

Edit:

In the interests of being helpful rather than just disagreeing, johnsmith's advice really is excellent. To add to that slightly:

- make sure you have a really good wand at all times as you can basically use it like a hunter does auto-shot
- if you shield before you pull something then count to 5 you'll be off weakened soul before it wears out
- glyph of pw:s might help if you find yourself getting eaten too fast
- engineering is awesome, but it's especially awesome for classes with limited offensive and CC abilities like priests
- your shadowfiend can basically solo a single mob at your level so feel free to carry replenishment over to the next mob and let it go to town while your mana refills

FLEABttn said:
I'll give the wanding thing a go later (raid is about to start), but I am leery. That sounds like a terrible boring way to level.

:lol

Yeah, look I guess it can be boring compared with some other classes. It's definitely a class that rewards mixing it up when you're leveling; like a little questing here, heal an instance there, do some AV for a bit etc. Of course everyone likes variety when leveling, but I'd say it's mandatory on a priest if you want to stay relatively sane.

Definitely don't hesitate to heal 5 mans if you're feeling bored. Even with horrible gear a shadow priest should have no trouble with normal instances up to 80, I certainly didn't. And of course, in the age of heirloom gear, everyone's a twink!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom