• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

FLEABttn said:
Mine's 73 and it's the worst class I've leveled. There's got to be something I'm not getting.

I've always wanted to play a Disc Priest since day 1, but honestly after playing other classes I just can't go through that and enjoy it in any way pre-58

johnsmith

remember me
Wait, you're having trouble at level 73? By then it's ridiculously easy. At that point I was just dotting as many mobs as I could. My limitation was how many mobs were within casting range. Dispersion and shadow fiend mean you never run out of mana, VE means you never run out of health. Dot up 3 or 4 mobs, psychic scream when they get to you, finish them off 1 by 1 with mind flay. Easy peasy.

FLEABttn

Banned
johnsmith said:
Wait, you're having trouble at level 73? By then it's ridiculously easy. At that point I was just dotting as many mobs as I could. My limitation was how many mobs were within casting range. Dispersion and shadow fiend mean you never run out of mana, VE means you never run out of health. Dot up 3 or 4 mobs, psychic scream when they get to you, finish them off 1 by 1 with mind flay. Easy peasy.

Like 2 mobs and I'm oom.

Swag

So for all the people that are clearing ICC now, how is it from a tanking perspective. If I resub I wanna play a tank, but I don't want to if it's annoyingly frustrating.

J-Rzez

Sebulon3k said:
So for all the people that are clearing ICC now, how is it from a tanking perspective. If I resub I wanna play a tank, but I don't want to if it's annoyingly frustrating.

Fun, and fairly simple so far from the runs I had to tank. Stam seems all the rage. ymmv.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FLEABttn said:
Mine's 73 and it's the worst class I've leveled. There's got to be something I'm not getting.
I'm not sure how you run out of mana as a Shadow Priest unless you're putting up too many dots. You really don't need anything at lvl 73 other than Mind Blast, SW:p and FacemeltMind Flay. Really. And SW:p iis questionable. I got away with nothing but MB and FaceMelt for a long time.

You're wasting mana casting your full DoT repetoire because level mobs rarely live long enough to justify VT->MB->DP->SW:p->MF. Just face melt over and over.

Also, your Shadowfiend only has like a 2min cooldown in Shadowform. If you use Shadowfiend and Dispersion as alternates you'll never run out mana.

FLEABttn

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I'm not sure how you run out of mana as a Shadow Priest unless you're putting up too many dots. You really don't need anything at lvl 73 other than Mind Blast, SW:p and FacemeltMind Flay. Really. And SW:p iis questionable. I got away with nothing but MB and FaceMelt for a long time.

You're wasting mana casting your full DoT repetoire because level mobs rarely live long enough to justify VT->MB->DP->SW:p->MF. Just face melt over and over.

Also, your Shadowfiend only has like a 2min cooldown in Shadowform. If you use Shadowfiend and Dispersion as alternates you'll never run out mana.

I'll give it a go in the morning, but if it's ass I'm gonna fraps it and you can tell me where my fail it =p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Welp, hit level 58. RAF should still apply in Outland until 60 right? I have about 1300 gold going in too. =) Guess I'll be grabbing that flying mount when I can. Arms Warrior is still pretty sweet btw. :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
mathematically, how is the 15 strength glove enchant better than the 44ap glove enchant for DKs?
It is and it isn't. The primary reason is that for Unholy, ghouls scale with strength more than AP. It's a difference of like 1-2 AP. It's not worth it for the reason that TBC mats are expensive and Wrath mats aren't.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
We cleared ICC 10 man this week with 15/15 attempts remaining. o_O

Lanathel is about 100x easier than Putricide.

Anyone see the song that got released for the battlecry mosiac? I'm guessing it will play when you
Kill the Lich King
probably cinematic background music.

Dunlop

Kintaro said:
Welp, hit level 58. RAF should still apply in Outland until 60 right? I have about 1300 gold going in too. =) Guess I'll be grabbing that flying mount when I can. Arms Warrior is still pretty sweet btw. :D

Get the flying mount and the Quest tracker addon if you do not have it, I was getting about a lvl every 2 hours.

Is it only Outland where the leveling is super fast? I went onto my 45 mage (frost spec) and it seemed much slower

Tamanon

Banned
Had a pretty funny raid night last night in 25-man. On Lady Deathwhisper we had one of the fury warriors get mind-controlled and someone was killing him since he was too far for us CC'ers to reach. Maintank and raidleader is getting frantic on vent "Stop killing soandso dammit!"

After the kill, the raidleader asks to go through the logs and find out who killed the fury, turns out he took about 30k damage......from the maintank himself, shield bashes, shield slams and the like.:lol

But he couldn't complain too much, he won the badass Saurfang trinket that every one of our rogues and hunters were salivating over.

Spent three hours wiping on Rotface last night. I hadn't raided much over the week so it was an interesting way to get back into the grind, to say the least. We'd have a great try, then the next try would be ruined by someone screwing up kiting their slimes, or getting hit by the ooze explosion, etc.

I want to kite the big ooze next time. MTing that fight is rather boring.

Meteorain

Downed Festergut last night as well and went to practice on Rotface (obviously got our arses handed to us) so we're trying for him tonight.

Also had a look at the Blood Quarter. Met the first boss....the 3 summoned mages utterly raped us lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
i'm in tier 9 conquest gear + other stuff without expertise rating.

in all, i have 12 expertise.

should I gem expertise rating? i'd need to replace all three of my +34 strength gems and a few +20 strength ones. doesn't seem worth it.

Cipherr

We had a good run also last night, still had Fester and Rot up, one shot them both and got Putricide down to about 10% on 25. We still have 10 tries left but it was hilarious, we kept dying for stupid reasons. Room would fill with slime and we would end up with all ranged and healers bunched up about 20yrd from the boss, and he would just lobb those slimes at us and decimate 15 people at once.

Jesus, free kill, and we lost it THREE TIMES to that.

His enrage timer isnt a problem, its that soft enrage, we start running out of room in the home stretch and we dont spread out right.

Should get him Monday though.

Yaweee

I (elem shaman) managed to win both Nibelung and the Caster Shield from Marrowgar in ICC25 PUG today, but I had to give up the shield to take the staff. I know I should be going for 1h/Shield combo, but I didn't have any suitable 1hander that would make the latter, nor are there any 1h weapons for Elem Shamans in all of ICC that would make the 1h+0ff/shield combo have more SP. I think my decision was a bit questionable, but at the moment it is a pretty sizable increase in dps (from Illumination). If I ever get a 251+ 1hander (which is unlikely), I'll probably just grab the 277 PVP shield which is going to be easy as piss to get.

The proc rate on the staff fucking sucks, and is apparently very inconsistent as to which dots or AoE it will or will not activate from. Blizzard's been tinkering with proc rates and bonuses so much over the last few weeks that hopefully the staff becomes good for a non-lock class?

Yaweee

Tamanon said:
Staff is just fine for my Moonkin, averages about 4-5% of my DPS. They seem to have buffed their AE resistance too at least.

The dumb bastards seem to only spawn half the time across the 3+ minute sessions I've tried against the targeting dummies, then they wander around like an idiot for a few seconds before starting to dps.

Nibelung at least appears to be a few hundred more dps on a targeting dummy compared to Illumination.

EDIT: I'm expecting that they'll eventually convert it to a PPM based on cast time with an internal cooldown. As it is now, it is way too inconsistent between classes and specs for the only caster 2h in ICC25 (barring Arthas).

Yaweee said:
EDIT: I'm expecting that they'll eventually convert it to a PPM based on cast time with an internal cooldown. As it is now, it is way too inconsistent between classes and specs for the only caster 2h in ICC25 (barring Arthas).

I can't wait to see Arthas' loot table. It better be fantastic.

Xabora

funkmastergeneral said:
I can't wait to see Arthas' loot table. It better be fantastic.
In 9 days we will. :D
All his stuff will be 277 on 25man normal, and 284 on 25man hardmode.

EDIT: See newer post. :p

Xabora said:
All his stuff will be 277 on 25man normal, and 284/290(?) on 25man hardmode.

Man I'd love to be killing Arthas in 25 man but my guild has ability issues. We burned all 15 attempts on Putricide and never got him to P3. However, my 10 man group rules so hopefully his 10 man loot table is nice too.

Also where did you hear about this item level stuff?

Xabora

funkmastergeneral said:
Man I'd love to be killing Arthas in 25 man but my guild has ability issues. We burned all 15 attempts on Putricide and never got him to P3. However, my 10 man group rules so hopefully his 10 man loot table is nice too.

http://www.wow.com/2009/12/26/wow-magazine-preview-now-online/
http://cde.cerosmedia.com/1M4b2f964fedde4012.cde/page/20

2yvo0mo.png

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Xabora said:
All his stuff will be 277 on 25man normal, and 284/290(?) on 25man hardmode.

edit: Lol, I misread. Yeah, I imagine that it'd be 284, probably wouldn't go higher than Shadowmourne.

Dunlop

thank goodness I was only in TBC for a week, all that lvl 70's blues that I got from the dungeon runs and way less powerful than the scrub greens in WOTLK

I would have been pissed :p

moojito

Aye, I think initially at least, Putricide depends on whether or not your raid is able to take down a green slime before it gets to the target, or 1-2 seconds after at most. My lot had terrible problems to begin with when the blob would knock everyone back, move to someone else un-slowed and one shot them.

funkmastergeneral said:
Man I'd love to be killing Arthas in 25 man but my guild has ability issues. We burned all 15 attempts on Putricide and never got him to P3.
My guild used up all our attempts on 25m putricide as well. The last attempt was borderline heartbreaking as we got him down to 100k health. But there was no where left to stand with the floor covered in green and the few dps that were still alive went down, followed by the healers and tanks.

Cipherr

funkmastergeneral said:

Remember man, that the instance is going to slowly start nerfing itself over time I believe. Some kind of debuff will stack making the encounters easier. IMO this is when youll see alot of guilds able to push through the content, and the PUG's start having limited success in the second wing.

In the weeks and months after all twelve encounters are unlocked, additional attempts against the final four boss encounters become available. This represents the Ashen Verdict growing more powerful and gaining a stronger foothold in Icecrown Citadel. To further help raids, Varian Wrynn and Garrosh Hellscream will begin to provide assistance by inspiring the armies attacking Icecrown Citadel. This is represented as an additional zone wide spell effect applied to all players that will increase their hit points, damage dealt, and healing done. This effect will also increase in effectiveness over time. Players may opt out of the spell's effect if they so wish.

When that effect starts, and begins to stack it will help and youll be able to kill the Lich King before the next expansion for sure. My guild is hoping to get it all down at least on normal 25 before that zone wide buff starts, even though you can opt out of it, we want it done and out achievements dated before its even available.

Kweh

Thought I'd give Cat DPS a whirl for a bit. What are the must have addons for it? I'm looking for ones that show me my combo metre nice and clearly and which abilities are up/on cooldown.

I have never rolled a druid, so I wouldn't be much help to you with addons. My main is a lock and I'm trying to figure out if using some additional addons for my UI would bog my laptop down too much. I try to keep addons down to a minimum. Currently I use DBM, dotimer, omen, recount, and power auras.

Being the range tank for the Council fight and just trying to pay attention to everything going on during putricide, it would help with less clutter on my screen. I think I will just have to experiment and see how it affects my computer.

Tamanon

Banned
Kweh said:
Thought I'd give Cat DPS a whirl for a bit. What are the must have addons for it? I'm looking for ones that show me my combo metre nice and clearly and which abilities are up/on cooldown.

I think I heard BadKitty is great for letting you know what's on cooldown and what's up next, to help learn the John Madden rotation.

nataku

A good Druid cat addon is something like BadKitty. It'll show you what debuffs you have up and how long until they expire.

The bar section of the addon is kind of confusing to look at, but I find the hotbar looking part pretty helpful. When you throw one of your debuffs up the icon disappears, so you can easily see at a glance what you need to refresh. You can also customize what order the icons and bars appear in, or if they show at all.

Sullen

Yeah, a leveling shadow priest should never run out of mana. Even in the TBC days it was difficult/impossible to do.

Hell, you dont even have to use shield or psychic scream, you can essentially face tank everything and you still wont die because of vamp embrace.

Sullen said:
Yeah, a leveling shadow priest should never run out of mana. Even in the TBC days it was difficult/impossible to do.

Hell, you dont even have to use shield or psychic scream, you can essentially face tank everything and you still wont die because of vamp embrace.

You can for sure, I just get annoyed by all the pushback. Then again I did level my priest before the pushback changes, and even before ice barrier it wasn't that much of an issue on the mage I'm leveling at the moment.

Dunlop

Sullen said:

I switched to a holy build as I am running a lot of dungeons and find them to be a lot harder in WOTLK...what a freaking mistake, I think I drank at least 12 pots in my next run and I was fortunate that this was an actual pug that would wait. Usually the MT will charge into each group thinking that he is alive solely because of his abilities.

I switched back to the disc/holy build I linked...nice 45g mistake when I am dirt poor.

On the plus side I got to use circle of healing and and guardian. Cool stuff.

Sciz

As I almost never use my resto offspec for anything other than the odd PvP jaunt and a bit of retro raiding, I've started working on gearing up an enhance set instead, which is about half done now. Might as well be playing a completely different class compared to elemental. Fun though, even if I am watching three times as many abilities. Nothing quite like shredding through a bunch of cultists with a string of windfury proc crits.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Shadow priest is ridiculous with full BOA gear.

Spirit Tap + the 2 spellpower trinkets = Who the fuck needs water?

Just need 1 Vampiric Touch, 1 Shadow Word Pain and 2 Mind Flays and the npc is dead, im back at full mana and he barely hit me, and if he did, my Vampiric Embrace buff was enough to put it back to 100%. By the way, i love how VE is a buff now and not something you have to reapply on every npc you attack. :D

yacobod

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I'm just calling bullshit on the "Plagueworks are pugged on my server" guy entirely. My guess is he's mostly just trying to show off by implying that he thinks Plagueworks is easy.

To pug the Plagueworks, you'd need 25m geared people who know the encounter already and the chance of finding 10 people that aren't already running 10m with their guilds (99% of 25m guilds, and 100% of the ones I've ever seen are farming both 10m and 25m for badges/loot) who are geared and skilled enough to do the encounter is pretty fucking remote. Even on the "top" servers (i.e. Mal'ganis) I think that's a stretch. The idea that 10m ToC gear alone is enough to faceroll the Plagueworks is simply absurd.

i'd hate to burst your bubble, but i pugged a 10m on saturday night, we only downed 6 bosses, we wiped on putricide 5 times before calling the raid, we one shot every boss besides rotface, which i think we 2 or 3 shot, i think your mileage may vary by server, but on servers like Illidan or Mal'ganis, its pretty common for the 10m and 25m to be pugged and go at least down 6 bosses

most of the ppl in raid were pretty geared and experienced tho, i think i was the lowest geared person in the raid, i was a 5k gearscore offtank w/like 36k hp unbuffed, it was my first time in the instance, but at least the first 6 fights seemed pretty easy

Flib

As someone who recently did 1-30 on a priest, it's pretty easy. And you have many more attacks than smite in your arsenal. With the change to mana regen in early levels, mana isn't really a problem either. I really think druid is more of a pain at those levels, because bear form blows at that point.

My druid is 63 now, and he's dual-specced resto but I've been really nervous to start healing with him (the one role I've never played in the game). Finally convinced myself I had enough of a gear set to try it out last night, and jeez, what a total blast. Druids are just awesome at healing (I knew this from raiding, but it's different to try it in person), love how mana efficient they are. Did like 6 dungeons, never had anyone die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom