• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epix said:
1. Stop equipping gear with hit. If you have any alternative pieces w/o hit on them equip them. You're hit caps at 263. Equipping a lower itemlvl piece that has a another stat other than hit will be a dps increase for you.
2. You're expertise is non-existent. Glyph for Seal of Vengeance (10 exp rating). Start looking for gear with Expertise (removes parry at 25).
3. Enchant your shoulders.
4. Enchant your cloak.
5. Drop the stam gem in your legs and replace with a Nightmare Tear.
6. Drop your +16 crit gem in your boots and replace with +10 STR +10 Crit
7. Drop the 4 points in Divine Intellect and put them in Divinty (not a dps increase but a nice talent).
8. Drop the 2 points in Divine Purpose and put them in Sheath of Light. (Divine Purpose is a PvP talent and you can make a dual spec if you PvP).

Here's my armory for reference. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Proudmoore&cn=Alcapwnd
Thanks for the advice.

Should I put all my Frost Emblems toward lightsworn gear? Is it worth it? (95 Frost for a helm. Yikes!)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
/facepalm

Bad lag means no one logs on.

No one logs on = raiding with the B Squad.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
You know what they say.....love hurts.

caruso.gif

Well played. :D

Finally had the RNG gods smile on us, cleared the plagueworks. New bosses will be dealt with on our next day.

No cloak, again though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
Well played. :D

Finally had the RNG gods smile on us, cleared the plagueworks. New bosses will be dealt with on our next day.

No cloak, again though.
Makes me sad. A bunch of idiots logged on today and I bailed on my own raid group. I would much rather watch Lost than have to explain to some idiot not to battle rez a dead person with a mark (I don't know why I had to explain to the person getting rezzed to not accept it...)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Lich King is the last raid boss before Cat right?

They released WOTLK 6 months after the last Sunwell gate. I'd like time to get into ICC and ICC25. I think 4-5 months would give this new guild I'm in to progress and gear up by itself. It has a nice core and I don't really want to join an established guild. That'd be around July/August though.

There's a good amount of guilds that have progressed pretty far. I could see a lot of people in top guilds having Shadowmourne in 5 months. That seems pretty boring though. Farming ICC for an estimated 5 months. I hope the legendary lasts until an 85 raid boss...

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Lich King is the last raid boss before Cat right?

They released WOTLK 6 months after the last Sunwell gate. I'd like time to get into ICC and ICC25. I think 4-5 months would give this new guild I'm in to progress and gear up by itself. It has a nice core and I don't really want to join an established guild. That'd be around July/August though.

There's a good amount of guilds that have progressed pretty far. I could see a lot of people in top guilds having Shadowmourne in 5 months. That seems pretty boring though. Farming ICC for 5 months at least. I hope the legendary lasts until an 85 raid boss...
I doubt many guilds haven't started on ICC yet. For the record, you could fully "gear" for ICC 10 and 25 in literally a week. You'd have pretty crappy gear for 25, but you the Spire isn't hard anyways.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I doubt many guilds haven't started on ICC yet. For the record, you could fully "gear" for ICC 10 and 25 in literally a week. You'd have pretty crappy gear for 25, but you the Spire isn't hard anyways.
I guess I'm just thinking out loud. About how more people will down the end boss sooner now-a-days. And if wondering if waiting for CAT will suck for a lot of people. Summer seems like enough time for a lot of people to gear up their main, their alts, and get a legendary. Fall seems like it'd get boring.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
I guess I'm just thinking out loud. About how more people will down the end boss sooner now-a-days. And if wondering if waiting for CAT will suck for a lot of people. Summer seems like enough time for a lot of people to gear up their main, their alts, and get a legendary. Fall seems like it'd get boring.

At first I expected the xpac to hit in fall, like Oct/Nov. But at the rate that this patch has been consumed already, Cata will have to hit in Summer, or they'd have to have one more significant patch pre-xpac. I don't think they can go 9 months on this current content. I know I'd be temporarily cancelling my account instead of letting it sit there not being used while still paying for it.

I think Cataclysm has been all but confirmed to be coming out in summer. I think you'll be seeing it in late June, early July if not earlier. Activision is going to be aiming for one big summer game (Cataclysm) and one big winter game (MW3). That also gives them plenty of time for the beta and whatnot.

Dunlop

Orbitcube said:
I think Cataclysm has been all but confirmed to be coming out in summer. I think you'll be seeing it in late June, early July if not earlier. Activision is going to be aiming for one big summer game (Cataclysm) and one big winter game (MW3). That also gives them plenty of time for the beta and whatnot.

Excellent, if it follows the same item progressin as Vanilla-->TBC-->WOTLK then I don't need to kill myself with raids as the green scrub gear that drops will be better :D (j/k)

I logged in for a few minutes this morning and got the jump on a lvl 80 pally and got utterly destoyed again, I was stunlocked for 95% of the encounter, when did they become rogues?

Wrekt

Dunlop said:
Excellent, if it follows the same item progressin as Vanilla-->TBC-->WOTLK then I don't need to kill myself with raids as the green scrub gear that drops will be better :D (j/k)

I logged in for a few minutes this morning and got the jump on a lvl 80 pally and got utterly destoyed again, I was stunlocked for 95% of the encounter, when did they become rogues?
How long was the encounter? Hammer of justice is a 6 second stun. Repentance is also 6 seconds but doing any damage will interrupt the effect. Seal of Justice can stun you for 2 seconds but if they have it active, they are doing shit dps.

So either you lost in roughly 10 seconds or you exaggerate way too much.

Dunlop

Wrekt said:
How long was the encounter? Hammer of justice is a 6 second stun. Repentance is also 6 seconds but doing any damage will interrupt the effect. Seal of Justice can stun you for 2 seconds but if they have it active, they are doing shit dps.

So either you lost in roughly 10 seconds or you exaggerate way too much.

It wasn't a cry that pallies are OP, it is a knock on my PVP skills as I just came back and have been focusing on lvling via PVE. I've fought about every other class (I'm like a rabid dog in world pvp thanks to WAR) but my 3 encounters with pallies have been embarrassing.

Obviously I'll look up strats when I mess around with PVP at 80. This is not the WOW forms...simmer down :D

I had the jump on him so it was

Dispel-->Manaburn-->SW:p-->DP-->MF as he closed the distance-->Fear as was in melee (resisted)-->me stunned-->WTFPWNAGE

Sciz

Orbitcube said:
Somewhere a Starcraft fan is crying.

Angry Grimace

Dunlop said:

Not *really*. People in total endgame gear from TBC weren't replacing their gear until Level 78+, really. Given the sheer number of people in full 232+, my guess is that a lot of greens are going to get disenchanted at first.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Guys i've been really tempted to get back into WoW lately for some reason. Mainly just today, fuck knows.
I quit around March because the guild i was in disbanded and i got bored at 80 when there was still only Naxx.

What else is there i could get in and do say, tonight? If i reinstall?

Angry Grimace

Cindres said:
Guys i've been really tempted to get back into WoW lately for some reason. Mainly just today, fuck knows.
I quit around March because the guild i was in disbanded and i got bored at 80 when there was still only Naxx.

Heroics drop gear that's better than 25 man Ulduar, and they drop badges that you can use to buy gear equivalent to 25 man Trial of the Crusader.

FLEABttn

Banned
Cindres said:

The three Icecrown 5 mans and the ToC 5 man. If you're in Naxx gear, it's likely that you'll be passed over in PuG raids for people with better gear.

But if you run heroics for like a week, you'll have full t9 and less badge gear and will be able to do more or less anything, if you can get the group for it.

Dunlop said:
It wasn't a cry that pallies are OP, it is a knock on my PVP skills as I just came back and have been focusing on lvling via PVE. I've fought about every other class (I'm like a rabid dog in world pvp thanks to WAR) but my 3 encounters with pallies have been embarrassing.

Obviously I'll look up strats when I mess around with PVP at 80. This is not the WOW forms...simmer down :D

I had the jump on him so it was

Dispel-->Manaburn-->SW:p-->DP-->MF as he closed the distance-->Fear as was in melee (resisted)-->me stunned-->WTFPWNAGE
It's utterly useless for PvE but Glyph of Pain Suppression is a winner in that situation.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
WEll i reinstalled and everything but i'm going nowhere until they let me login ¬_¬.
I'm 100% sure my login is correct but i keep getting incorrect login. I tried to check my character in the armory but due to it being inactive for so long i can't view him.
Emailed Blizz Support, hopefully i can get on tomorrow :/
EDIT: My password is 200% definitely correct, it gives me the error of incorrect login name.

Made a Battle.net account but i can't merge due to the "Incorrect login".

EDIT2: I was JUST turning my PC off and it occured to me i was using the wrong fecking username. I cast my mind back to what i was using as my name around the time i first signed up.
God damn i'm an idiot.

FINAL EDIT: Hey 7 free days? Hot shit i'm in :D

Magnus

What have we seen to suggest Cataclysm is a sure thing for the summer? I mean, I'd fucking love that to be true. It'd be great to get the first-month expansion addiction out of the way before school starts, but Cataclysm feels like a Sept-Nov. release to me.

J-Rzez

Magnus said:
What have we seen to suggest Cataclysm is a sure thing for the summer? I mean, I'd fucking love that to be true. It'd be great to get the first-month expansion addiction out of the way before school starts, but Cataclysm feels like a Sept-Nov. release to me.

Activision has SC2, CoD-whatever now, and Cataclysm. Not to mention another Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero to fit in this year. Between this, and the rate that ICC is being spent, there will be many temporarily cancelling their accounts until Cata hits, and it'll start shortly. While they know those people will be back, I'm sure they'd like to keep that subscription money flowing in rather than losing out millions for a few months.

Throw in that they're recycling a TON of their assets, dressing them up, and raising the cap 5 levels, this maybe a very-very slim xpac that'll be full priced.

Kletian

So after finally finding a guild that raids and raids well, I've noticed my DPS for 25man Koralon was 7400 and for Toravon it's 8000. Is that more in line with what I should be doing? Or since it's 25 man should I be doing even more?

Also, why the heck does nothing ICC related seem to have EXP on it. Goddamn.

Epix

FlawlessCowboy said:
Thanks for the advice.

Should I put all my Frost Emblems toward lightsworn gear? Is it worth it? (95 Frost for a helm. Yikes!)
Absolutely. You're not breaking any T9 set bonuses so buy immediately. In fact, drop some hit while you're at in and pickup the shoulders first (x60 Frost Emblems).

Magnus said:

When Blizzard released Sunwell in April of 2008 there was a 7 month gap of content until Lich King came out in November. With the Lich King fight out now and people downing him, we can only guess that the expansion will come out in the summer.

Retro

J-Rzez

ianswoody said:
In case anyone has an Android phone, they finally released the Mobile Authenticator for Android today!

Oh wow finally!

I go through phones like mad though. I'm probably better off with a regular one. Is it a pain to switch authenticators?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Can't decide which two pieces of tier 10 to get with frost emblems. I'm nearing 60 total and I'm not getting them that fast right now.

Maybe I'll get lucky with VOA and get the hands and legs... I don't like the drop rate tho.

Kletian said:
So after finally finding a guild that raids and raids well, I've noticed my DPS for 25man Koralon was 7400 and for Toravon it's 8000. Is that more in line with what I should be doing? Or since it's 25 man should I be doing even more?

That seems much better, especially considering how unfriendly T9 is to mut rogues. Once you start getting T10 and that sort of gear you're going to see your DPS skyrocket as you start to lose all that ArPen. ArPen is the devil. I don't think I can stress that enough.

EDIT: I would've thought SC2 would be October or December, Cataclysm June-July to maximize profits. You'll have the young player base resubscribing over summer, and I would've thought it'd be a pretty key strategy to get them to buy the expansion for the 1-2 month stay, that's an extra $40 sooner rather than later. And Starcraft 2 won't get in the way of MW3, while Cataclysm possibly will. Oh well, it's their loss, not mine.

Angry Grimace

Magnus

Tried Valithria-10 today. It was definitely a change of pace as a healer to be the nuker for a change!

I kind of blow a little at maintaining a high stack of the buff (only got as high as 16 before losing it by accident), but my numbers still beat the other healers by a good stretch, and I'm kind of confident they were using crappy rotations on her or poor spec choices.

By about 5 minutes in, we have her between 80 and 85% health (more than halfway) and the dps/tanks just get completely overrun by mobs, so either we're healing Val too slowly, or the dps is fucking up.

Everything I've read about the fight doesn't seem to suggest that normal Valithria modes require healers to be super on-the-ball about maintaining huge stacks of the buff (though it obviously helps). So does our dps/tank crew just need to do better with the adds? Or do we need to do better on maximizing HPS throughput on Val? Obviously both help, but we're beating our heads against the wall, and I think the DPS is giving up because they believe that we should have healed her to full and completed the encounter by the time they're overrun; they believe it's a soft-enrage, and I keep trying to tell them that the fight seems to last a good seven minutes on average (according to most youtube 10m vids), so they can't be overrun at the five minute mark.

Belfast

Hey, a little bit of a request here:

The blog team for Project Lore (myself included), has recently started a podcast in order to maintain (and hopefully increase) reader interest.

So basically I'm here fishing for some feedback, if you have the time to listen.

Do understand that this is a fairly low-rent operation at the moment. We're kind of testing the waters and, as we're from around the country, it's your basic Skype-produced podcast. So, things aren't perfect, the hosts have varying degrees of experience with the game, and I think it's a little more conversational than your average WoW podcast.

I hate to toot my own horn, but I think it's a pretty good effort for a bunch of amateurs. Still, it's clear that there's a lot we have to work on.

Anyway, if you've got an hour, I implore you to give it a shot. The second episode (the first one I've appeared in) can be found here:

http://projectlore.com/blog/project-lore-audio-podcast-2-dave-edition/

There are options for streaming and downloading, as well as an RSS link for future reference.

Belfast

Angry Grimace said:
It would have been pretty fucking pathetic if it wasn't even 2010. :lol

Then again, it really doesn't matter when it comes out, I won't be able to play it since I should be in school by then :(

I was pretty psyched to hear that it would be out before the next BlizzCon. And then they revealed that the BlizzCon 2010 would be taking place not in August, but at the end of October. :(

border

The blog team for Project Lore (myself included), has recently started a podcast in order to maintain (and hopefully increase) reader interest.

So basically I'm here fishing for some feedback, if you have the time to listen.

1st problem -- your podcast does not turn up on iTunes. A search for "Project Lore" yields about 50 or so results, but it doesn't look like any of them are the show you are talking about. Your web page contains an RSS link, but nobody knows how to subscribe in iTunes using only an XML link. I barely remembered how to do it and I'm consciously trying to subscribe.

I'll give it a listen tomorrow though....it's nearly 5 AM here and I already did my dailies for today, so I can't jump right in :)

Belfast

border said:
1st problem -- your podcast does not turn up on iTunes. A search for "Project Lore" yields about 50 or so results, but it doesn't look like any of them are the show you are talking about. Your web page contains an RSS link, but nobody knows how to subscribe in iTunes using only an XML link. I barely remembered how to do it and I'm consciously trying to subscribe.

I'll give it a listen tomorrow though....it's nearly 5 AM here and I already did my dailies for today, so I can't jump right in :)

Yeah, I don't think it's on iTunes yet. But it most certainly will be if things pick up. I've never subscribed to a podcast myself, so I couldn't tell you waht to do. :\

border

2nd problem -- it's taking forever to download during early-morning hours. Not sure what the issue is but you might want to look into Libsyn if it persists.

I could subscribe okay just by feeding the link to iTunes, but most people just want a direct link to subscribe.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
2 days until my subsciption runs out and I'm not renewing it. What surprised me the most was that I didn't really have a reason to quit or that anything special forced me to quit. I just don't feel like playing it anymore, and this is after 3 years worth of playtime.

Belfast

border said:
2nd problem -- it's taking forever to download during early-morning hours. Not sure what the issue is but you might want to look into Libsyn if it persists.

I could subscribe okay just by feeding the link to iTunes, but most people just want a direct link to subscribe.

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. I guess that's blip.tv for you. :\

The streaming works very well for me, either way.

Grampasso

Angry Grimace said:
Makes me sad. A bunch of idiots logged on today and I bailed on my own raid group. I would much rather watch Lost than have to explain to some idiot not to battle rez a dead person with a mark (I don't know why I had to explain to the person getting rezzed to not accept it...)
So... let's talk about Shamans reincarnation, can we? :D

arhra

Magnus said:
Tried Valithria-10 today. It was definitely a change of pace as a healer to be the nuker for a change!

I kind of blow a little at maintaining a high stack of the buff (only got as high as 16 before losing it by accident), but my numbers still beat the other healers by a good stretch, and I'm kind of confident they were using crappy rotations on her or poor spec choices.

By about 5 minutes in, we have her between 80 and 85% health (more than halfway) and the dps/tanks just get completely overrun by mobs, so either we're healing Val too slowly, or the dps is fucking up.

Everything I've read about the fight doesn't seem to suggest that normal Valithria modes require healers to be super on-the-ball about maintaining huge stacks of the buff (though it obviously helps). So does our dps/tank crew just need to do better with the adds? Or do we need to do better on maximizing HPS throughput on Val? Obviously both help, but we're beating our heads against the wall, and I think the DPS is giving up because they believe that we should have healed her to full and completed the encounter by the time they're overrun; they believe it's a soft-enrage, and I keep trying to tell them that the fight seems to last a good seven minutes on average (according to most youtube 10m vids), so they can't be overrun at the five minute mark.

7m seems about right - we just barely beat the fight last week (literally the entire raid was dead at the end [except a feigning hunter, who doesn't really count], a spirit of redemption priest got the last few heals in), and we generally found that the add waves became completely unmanageable between about 6m30 and 7m or so (the successful attempt was 6m42).

What worked for us was to have one healer stay out all the time to keep the raid up (a shaman, in our case), one going into every portal and staying on Valithria 100% of the time (holy priest), and our resto druid took portals and healed Valithria for the first 5-6 waves or so, then started staying out to split heals between Val and the raid. We might tweak the assignments slightly next week based on our logs from last week (the druid was doing pretty crazy numbers with the buff stacked high, so he might be a better candidate for the dedicated dragon healer)

mclem

arhra said:
7m seems about right - we just barely beat the fight last week (literally the entire raid was dead at the end [except a feigning hunter, who doesn't really count], a spirit of redemption priest got the last few heals in), and we generally found that the add waves became completely unmanageable between about 6m30 and 7m or so (the successful attempt was 6m42).

Our successful attempt was rather shorter, actually;

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-0anthr4rb4dyrvr4/dashboard/?s=10342&e=10686

5:43

Things were definitely getting out of control for the last forty seconds or so, although I'm sure some of that was panic; it's one of those situations where, as long as you remain calm, you remain in control. I'm not sure of the exact portal assignments but I believe Berrie (the druid) went in every time along with Harlequinne (Rogue), while Elwin (Holy priest) and Shadra (Shaman) roughly alternated.

Protip which made a massive difference: You can cast amp magic on Val. Also, finding the right positioning was very important for us.

Dunlop

79 now, in the home stretch to join my brother priests in chorus of why we are not the best raid healers in the game :D

I'm pretty sure that you will not see cataclysm until the release window of SWTOR, because while there is nothing to really threaten the dominance of WOW, a Star Wars MMO being released by Bioware could be pretty fucking scary for Blizzard.

Macattk15

Kletian said:

T10 legs, Ikifiru's Sack of Wonder, craftable ICC boots ... all those have Expertise on them and it's pretty much enough to reach cap with those 3 items.

Flib

Dunlop said:
79 now, in the home stretch to join my brother priests in chorus of why we are not the best raid healers in the game :D

I'm pretty sure that you will not see cataclysm until the release window of SWTOR, because while there is nothing to really threaten the dominance of WOW, a Star Wars MMO being released by Bioware could be pretty fucking scary for Blizzard.

Not worse than losing a lot of their playerbase due to no new content. They need to release Cataclysm by this summer.

Dunlop

Flib said:
Not worse than losing a lot of their playerbase due to no new content. They need to release Cataclysm by this summer.

But that is always a problem, they will lose a small amount of subs because of this who will eventually resub once the content is released.

The threat of SWTOR is a much larger exodus, if people are bored with Cataclysm. Releasing it at the same time can prevent a lot of those people from leaving in the first place and hurt the intial userbase for SWTOR.

I'm hoping cataclysm is released in the summer, just doubtful

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dunlop said:
But that is always a problem, they will lose a small amount of subs because of this who will eventually resub once the content is released.

The threat of SWTOR is a much larger exodus, if people are bored with Cataclysm. Releasing it at the same time can prevent a lot of those people from leaving in the first place and hurt the intial userbase for SWTOR.

I'm hoping cataclysm is released in the summer, just doubtful

Did no one read that Cataclysm is coming at the "back-end" of 2010 and the summer game is Starcraft 2? Come on people.

I'll post it again.

Blizzard expects the third expansion pack for its massively multiplayer sensation World of Warcraft to arrive in the "back half of 2010," according to CEO Mike Morhaime.

Speaking to investors during an Activision Blizzard conference call, Morhaime added that the game has a "global subscribership of approximately 11.5M subscribers."

With the StarCraft II beta launching this month and the final game expected in mid-2010, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm marks Blizzard's second high-profile release of the year, with Morhaime boasting that "2010 [is] shaping up as biggest in Blizzard history" as it's the "1st time in 12 years with 2 major products expect in the same calendar year."

As for Star Wars: TOR...it's not coming out this year.

EA executives dropped the news that BioWare's Star Wars MMORPG is expected to ship in fiscal 2011 in a conference call with investors. This puts the release in April at the earliest, and clarifies the original "Spring 2011" launch window.

CEO John Riccitiello noted that while the game will hopefully be a profitable venture, EA's cash flow is running slow right now. "MMOs can cost as much as two to six, seven times as much as a front-line title, if they’re done right.... It is a major investment for us."

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It'd be funny if they released patch 4.0 months prior to Cataclysm with the intent of getting people to reroll into the new class variations for races as a viable time-waster. The only thing defeating this purpose is the fact that you need Cataclysm to play as Goblin and Worgen :p

But seriously, I'm expecting some minor patches over the coming months predominantly dealing with elementals coming out of the woodwork whilst the Earthen Ring and (possibly) Cenarion Circle go into damage control trying to fix shit up and/or work out wtf is going on. The earthquakes every now and again in-game seem to point at this. I'm not talking Ragnaros big, but we'll be seeing some pretty hefty stuff in various parts of Azeroth. Of course all this stuff won't happen for awhile yet but the pre-Cataclysm events will last much longer than people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom