• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Impressions of the new zones are interesting. Would love to see them go back and redo all the old race models, which would go a long way to alleviating people feeling locked into the new races.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ive tried to find a definitive answer online but cant find the right search terms i guess. Question i have is after you drop a profession do you keep the patterns you learned if you ever go back to that prof?

Tamanon

Banned
water_wendi said:
ive tried to find a definitive answer online but cant find the right search terms i guess. Question i have is after you drop a profession do you keep the patterns you learned if you ever go back to that prof?

Nope, you don't.

Interfectum

Angry Grimace said:
Hero classes were a huge disaster. Balancing classes is already what takes up 80% of the devs time.

I think that's why we are seeing all these changes with cataclysm. It seems to me they are streamlining a lot of things so they can get a firm handle on balance, also they are no longer balancing around arenas. If this ends up working out for them I bet we see 1-2 new classes next expansion. My guess for one would be a Monk type character (melee heal).

arhra

Kletian said:
I'm loving the change to expose armor, but they really need to rework the ability so Rogues can actually use it with out QQing Warrior tanks.
No they don't. If you've got a warrior tank, you can happily ignore expose armor entirely (since it's exactly the same debuff as sunder, which the warrior will apply automatically).

What they need to do is make it so that you can keep it up when you don't have a warrior tank without completely wrecking your rotation. The combo point refund is a pretty good way to do that (it still costs some energy, so it's not completely free, but at least you're not losing a chance to use a better finisher).

ampere

water_wendi said:
Would be nice, but no you do not. It will be like you never had it in the first place. My advice would be to not drop a 450 crafting profession, only drop gathering ones. Just level the new crafting profession you want on an alt :)

Kletian

arhra said:
No they don't. If you've got a warrior tank, you can happily ignore expose armor entirely (since it's exactly the same debuff as sunder, which the warrior will apply automatically).

What they need to do is make it so that you can keep it up when you don't have a warrior tank without completely wrecking your rotation. The combo point refund is a pretty good way to do that (it still costs some energy, so it's not completely free, but at least you're not losing a chance to use a better finisher).

Yes but with guilds that have nothing but warrior tanks (like mine) it's a useless finisher. Hell I forget that I even have the ability until something like this comes along and reminds me about it.

Though who knows, Cataclysm may make Assassination completely useless for raiding again.

arhra

Kletian said:
Yes but with guilds that have nothing but warrior tanks (like mine) it's a useless finisher. Hell I forget that I even have the ability until something like this comes along and reminds me about it.
Eh, big deal. It's situational. Not every ability you have needs to be an integral part of your standard dps rotation.

But i play my paladin mostly these days, so i've got used to having entire action bars filled with situational utility spells that i only use once in a blue moon.

Retro

Interfectum said:
It seems to me they are streamlining a lot of things so they can get a firm handle on balance, also they are no longer balancing around arenas. If this ends up working out for them I bet we see 1-2 new classes next expansion. My guess for one would be a Monk type character (melee heal).

I've been tinkering with a Monk class concept for a while. I'd like to see them use a more empathetic healing system than the current model of spamming different buttons; spells that allow the monk to redirect damage to himself and self-heal, or spread it around multiple characters and then AoE heal it away.

A neat mechanic I have in mind is "DoT Overloading" where you apply stacks of various debuffs via special punches, a few ranged attacks, or special mage shield-like buffs. Once you reach a certain number of stacks, attempting to apply another causes the effect to overload, causing some new special effect.

For example, you might open with 'Wind Shear', a ranged attack that puts a DoT on the enemy that actually heals players who stand near him. Leap in and deliver a 'Gale Punch' to apply another stack, then redirect an enemy attack at yourself, proc'ing your 'Spirit of Storms' self-buff that throws another stack on. Another Gale Punch and the effect Overloads, clearing the DoT but instantly healing everyone around the enemy.

The talent trees would be Healing, Range/Support, and DPS-oriented, but all three can heal. I liken the combat style to a healing rogue.

Would also love to see a Sage/Senex class, but that'd require a lot of extra features WoW just isn't ready for. :lol

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Kind of off topic here, but I was just breezing through the WoW Armory and looked at my character and I was 5th on the list of "Relevance" with my name.

I used to be the only one with the name (So I had to be one of the first?) and now there are tons...hehe.

Anyone know what factors contribute to this? Not sure why it bugged me but when I took a look at the others above me I beat them in just about every category.

I had more high level gear, I hade as many as 4x the achievement points, more pets, more mounts, maxed skills compared to unmaxed, and more activity since I actually play still and some of them have not been on since the beginning of Aprilor earlier.

I don't get it ;P

I look at some other chars and even have some lowbies that are above 80's in the list even when I don't even play them lol.

wyf determines this stuff :lol

Blizzard is very vague on it.

Those "updated" humans are horrible. But they're probably old. There are a bunch of specific WC3 style human models that are occasionally used in WoW, like a typical farmer woman etc.

If they updated, we'd see more player character choices in the style of Wrynn or Jaina... which would be awesome. Screw the whiners. And I'd bet they'd keep the old styles around as a choice for people who want to look like a NPC from an early PS2 game.

Slightly related, how many specific models for important NPC:s are we up to now? I know these:

Alexstrasza
Kalecgos
Wrynn
Jaina
Lich King
Garrosh
Sylvanas

Having Kalecgos there is odd, but I guess it's based on his appearance in the novels. Or maybe he'll have a huge part later. But it's a great model. I'd make a human male if they looked more like that and less like what we have. Especially for casters.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
those human models were already confirmed on another site as NOT new, and have actually been in the wow data files since the beginning. they are from vanilla beta. the ONLY mention of possible human models as of now have just been basic questions on if something has changed... but nothing has been actually confirmed and the only pics posted are of old assets.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd throw Malfurion and Ysera into that mix eventually.

I think Thrall might get a slight update too, since you can essentially create a little Thrall yourself with the Orc creations. Depends on what happens to him though.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ah ok. Hopefully theyll do some updating though. Maybe the old world will be brought to a point where super detailed faces wont look totally out of place. The game is still in alpha tho and from what i remember character/enemy models were one of the last things to go in during the TBC beta.

BlizzCon 2010 Tickets on Sale June 2 and June 5.

Blizzard said:
IRVINE, Calif., May 18, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that tickets for its fifth BlizzCon(R) gaming convention will go on sale in two batches on Wednesday, June 2 and Saturday, June 5, 2010. BlizzCon is a celebration of the global player communities surrounding Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft(R), Diablo(R), and StarCraft(R) game universes. The event will take place at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California on October 22 and 23. Live coverage of the event will be available as a DIRECTV(R) Pay Per View package and as a multi-channel Internet stream, allowing viewers online to switch between coverage of multiple panels and activities during the show.

"BlizzCon is a unique opportunity for our players to meet one another, strengthen the friendships they've formed online, and have a great time celebrating a shared passion for gaming together with Blizzard employees," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "For those who can't attend, we're pleased to be providing an unprecedented level of access to the activities and attractions that BlizzCon has to offer."

In addition to serving as a gathering place for the different Blizzard Entertainment gaming communities, BlizzCon will have an array of activities, including discussion panels, competitive and casual tournaments, contests, hands-on playtime with current and upcoming Blizzard Entertainment games, and more.

Tickets to the convention will be priced at $150 USD each and will be available for purchase from the official BlizzCon website at www.blizzcon.com. Tickets will be released in two separate batches on June 2 at 7 p.m. Pacific time and on June 5 at 10 a.m. Pacific time. Those interested in attending BlizzCon can simplify the purchase process by registering a Battle.net account at www.battle.net before ticket sales begin.

The popular DIRECTV(R) BlizzCon Pay Per View event will return in 2010, available to existing DIRECTV customers in the United States for $39.95 USD. The event will again deliver comprehensive live HD coverage from the show floor on each day of the convention, including exclusive interviews, demos, and more.

Gamers around the world will also have the option to purchase the Pay Per View event as a multi-channel Internet stream, also priced at $39.95 USD (pricing may vary by region). For the first time, anyone who purchases the Internet stream will be able to switch freely between multiple channels of coverage dedicated to different areas of BlizzCon, allowing online viewers expanded access to the panels and events they're most interested in. DIRECTV customers who order the televised event will receive this Internet stream at no extra charge, allowing them to watch in the format of their choice. Those who order the event will also receive this year's BlizzCon-exclusive World of Warcraft(R) in-game item (availability may vary by region), to be revealed at a later date. Limited streaming coverage of the BlizzCon opening ceremony and certain BlizzCon tournaments will be available via the Internet for free.

As BlizzCon draws closer, further details about the show, including ordering and programming information for the DIRECTV BlizzCon Pay Per View event and multi-channel Internet stream, will be announced at www.blizzcon.com.

To keep pace with the continued growth of World of Warcraft as well as development on other Blizzard Entertainment games, the company is currently hiring for numerous open positions. More information on available career opportunities can be found at www.blizzard.com/jobs.

Hopefully I can get my ticket this year. Haven't gone since BlizzCon 2007. 2005 was my first one and it was alright compared to 2007's.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SiegfriedFM said:
Those "updated" humans are horrible. But they're probably old. There are a bunch of specific WC3 style human models that are occasionally used in WoW, like a typical farmer woman etc.

If they updated, we'd see more player character choices in the style of Wrynn or Jaina... which would be awesome. Screw the whiners. And I'd bet they'd keep the old styles around as a choice for people who want to look like a NPC from an early PS2 game.

Slightly related, how many specific models for important NPC:s are we up to now? I know these:

Alexstrasza
Kalecgos
Wrynn
Jaina
Lich King
Garrosh
Sylvanas

Having Kalecgos there is odd, but I guess it's based on his appearance in the novels. Or maybe he'll have a huge part later. But it's a great model. I'd make a human male if they looked more like that and less like what we have. Especially for casters.
Kalecgos has a model because he was a boss and NPC in Sunwell and Blizzard wanted to reuse the model. Alexstrasza's model is just a recolor and reskin of Sylvanas Windrunner's model.

There are quite a few others that have unique faces (very few have a fully unique model, just a custom face), i.e. Tirion Fordring, Khadgar, Rhonin. Arthas has a unique model which is just the Lich King model downscaled, I think.

Malfurion Stormrage will have a unique model, I'm sure. Ysera, Neltharion, Nozdormu and Malygos had non-unique models in their humanoid forms, but those were only seen very briefly and just as placeholders since Blizzard didn't want to design full new models for a 10 second scene.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Entropia said:
Definitely aiming to go to Blizzcon again this year. 4 years in a row! :D
150 bucks is pretty fucking steep

Comic Con costs 1/4 of that to go for a day

Akim

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

It's pretty cheap really, especially comparing it to travel and lodging costs. You get two days, a concert and a goodie bag. It's like if you paid for disney land for a day and a half.

Angry Grimace

Akim said:
It's pretty cheap really, especially comparing it to travel and lodging costs. You get two days, a concert and a goodie bag. It's like if you paid for disney land for a day and a half.
Except you only get to talk about Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo

Angry Grimace

Akim said:
Aren't those the best things to talk about?
At least they actually have a Starcraft game coming out for once.

But really? No.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:

Hi, we at Blizzard would like to thank our fans for their support, and giving us their money. To thank you guys, we're going to charge you $150/ea to come listen to us talk in person about Blizzard games opposed to posting on forums. You'll get a vanity pet though, and a bag of other crap not worth $150. Thank you again for giving us your money, and thank you again for giving us nearly a years subscription fee to WoW for nothing. Suckers.

J-Rzez said:
Hi, we at Blizzard would like to thank our fans for their support, and giving us their money. To thank you guys, we're going to charge you $150/ea to come listen to us talk in person about Blizzard games opposed to posting on forums. You'll get a vanity pet though, and a bag of other crap not worth $150. Thank you again for giving us your money, and thank you again for giving us nearly a years subscription fee to WoW for nothing. Suckers.

We have a winner! :lol

Akim

Banned
J-Rzez said:

You know they make no profit off of blizzcon right?

ampere

I would love to go to Blizzcon, and I'm OK with the $150 ticket but I'm not sure about travel/lodging arrangements and cost. Hmm... I would really love to play Diablo III this year so maybe that will tip me over the edge :D

Angry Grimace

Akim said:
You know they make no profit off of blizzcon right?
I don't believe that for 4 seconds.

All I'm saying is, CCI offers a lot more to do at a substantially lower cost, and I know for a fact that CCI is non-profit because the organizing body is an actual non-profit organization.

Interfectum

Angry Grimace said:
I don't believe that for 4 seconds.

All I'm saying is, CCI offers a lot more to do at a substantially lower cost, and I know for a fact that CCI is non-profit because the organizing body is an actual non-profit organization.

How many people show up for comic con compared to blizzcon?

Interfectum

got it:

Comic Con 2009: ~140,000 (San Diego Convention Center) x ~$75 = $10,500,000
Blizzcon 2009: ~20,000 (Anaheim Convention Center) x $150 = $3,000,000

I'm sure it's pretty costly for Blizzard to rent out the Anaheim Convention Center and set up the conference so they can't be making that much of a profit.

BTW, I would never pay for a Blizzcon ticket but seeing as how they sell out in a matter of minutes the $150 doesn't seem to be too high for the 20k people who bought it.

Akim

Banned
Interfectum said:
got it:

I'm sure it's pretty costly for Blizzard to rent out the Anaheim Convention Center and set up the conference so they can't be making that much of a profit.

BTW, I would never pay for a Blizzcon ticket but seeing as how they sell out in a matter of minutes the $150 doesn't seem to be too high for the 20k people who bought it.

Plus how much do you think they had to pay Ozzy Osborne?

Interfectum said:
got it:

Exactly. It's supply and demand, like with everything else.

I think the proft they recieve, is their Brand. No other gaming company in the world has the sort of following behind their company name, that Blizzard has. They are frankly, uniqe, even though they don't make uniqe or innovative games.

Interfectum

J-Rzez said:

So what are you saying? They shouldn't put on a conference? Should they lose money on a conference?

Also any piece of information that comes out of Blizzcon is on the internet within seconds so no one is forced to go.

Angry Grimace

Interfectum said:
got it:

CCI isn't 75$, it's like $100 now, but CCI is also 4 days long and you can buy tickets for individual days for $35 a day.

CCI really is an "event;" I go every year, but it probably helps that I live in San Diego, which means it requires the effort of driving 14 miles to the Convention Center.

Interfectum said:
So what are you saying? They shouldn't put on a conference? Should they lose money on a conference?

Also any piece of information that comes out of Blizzcon is on the internet within seconds so no one is forced to go.
I was only comparing the two events in that Blizzcon both costs more and only has three things to look at.

Not to mention, Starcraft II will already be out by then, so that's not as exciting.

Entropia

No One Remembers
They have a "retro arcade" setup so you can play games like Lost Vikings and Rock N' Roll Racing, etc.

Seriously, Blizzcon is a lot of fun. Half the fun is meeting new people and the people you play with!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Looks like the new sandbox is up.

0p1SX.jpg

No more Defias.

*blows trumpet*

http://i.imgur.com/Yy3e1.jpg

(huge image again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom