• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

J-Rzez said:
I'm interested in seeing how Saurfang hm goes for us on Sunday. We were just around the cut-off point for DPS required to down it. That fight is a straight up DPS gear check. Nothing more, nothing less. No other mechanic is really that critical other than that, get him down before too many marks go out.

When he drops below 30% it really becomes crazy on your healers though, he's hitting my Prot Warrior for 29k a hit whenever he goes above 50% BP and he starts swinging extremely fast. I hate tanking him and Festergut, So easy to drop below 20% which instinctively makes me put my fingers on last stand.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
When the buff gets up to 30% it'll be when LKhm is downed more frequently. That much of a damage increase to people in 277 gear, along with the buff to absorption of shields will make all the difference in the world.

I'm interested in seeing how Saurfang hm goes for us on Sunday. We were just around the cut-off point for DPS required to down it. That fight is a straight up DPS gear check. Nothing more, nothing less. No other mechanic is really that critical other than that, get him down before too many marks go out.
I presume there actually IS some kind of achievement for beating H-LK without Strength of Wrynn or Hellscream's Warsong, but it's probably a Feat of Strength hidden achievement.

firex

I hope they can stick with their promise to remove all the boring X increased by Y% talents but still make characters feel powerful via mastery. I also hope they are redoing some of the mastery bonuses. I already heard a different unique mastery bonus for ret paladins over their original planned one, so maybe it'll be the same for warlocks.

I'm only reading the first bits now but the removal of "A more powerful spell is already active" is brilliant as a holy priest who wants to clip a critical renew to refresh and move on. And I'm really keen to see how the new healing model works now that Flash Heal will heal the same as Greater Heal but cost more and cast faster.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jim-jam bongs said:
I'm only reading the first bits now but the removal of "A more powerful spell is already active" is brilliant as a holy priest who wants to clip a critical renew to refresh and move on. And I'm really keen to see how the new healing model works now that Flash Heal will heal the same as Greater Heal but cost more and cast faster.
Flash heal and Greater Heal having the same base heal amount doesn't mean FH will heal for the same amount as GH because the Bonus Healing coefficient aren't the same for FH and GH; in Holy, my bonus healing is somewhere near 3000 but the base heal is 1887 - 2193. For reference the bonus healing coefficient for Flash Heal is 80.57% and 100.57% with Empowered Healing and Greater Heal is 161.14% and 201.14% with Emp. Heal.

It's really rather stupid that spell coefficients are hidden values and that the tooltips are incapable of calculating them + your talents.

I'm actually concerned about healing in Cataclsym being even less fun than it is already (it's already not fun, if you weren't aware); GC thinks we should be spamming Gheals, but for Ghealing to be a good spam heal, there can't really be that much raid/party damage. Add in longer CDs on CoH and I'm somewhat concerned with what Blizzard thinks a good healing model is.

firex

They don't want people spamming greater heals. They just want to make those spells useful while giving them a new intermediate heal for dps or something. Looks more like they don't want people spamming flash heals because of no problems with mana and no problems with overhealing.

Tacitus_

They want you to spam Heal while using Greater Heal for precastable damage and Flash Heal for emergencies. Raid damage will be less frequent / more meaningful when it happens so you aren't supposed to spam aoe heals either.

Angry Grimace

Tacitus_ said:
They want you to spam Heal while using Greater Heal for precastable damage and Flash Heal for emergencies. Raid damage will be less frequent / more meaningful when it happens so you aren't supposed to spam aoe heals either.
Reiteration: Sounds even more boring than healing already is.

Alex

Ok, *now* I'm starting to get annoyed with the combined buffs/debuffs. It really seems like it's going too far, and to a kind of deal where if they're going to take it to that point then they should just redo their buffing/debuffing systems altogether.

It's cool to want to make group forming easy. It is silly to wreck buffs/debuffs down to the point where there's basically only a couple classes.

There's just so many better ways you could handle this other than going "Ok, this buff is too good, so instead of just this guy having it now we're going to add five more who have it!" Seriously, there's a few of those now that span 75% of the specs within the catagorey.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
Ok, *now* I'm starting to get annoyed with the combined buffs/debuffs. It really seems like it's going too far, and to a kind of deal where if they're going to take it to that point then they should just redo their buffing/debuffing systems altogether.

It's cool to want to make group forming easy. It is silly to wreck buffs/debuffs down to the point where there's basically only a couple classes.

There's just so many better ways you could handle this other than going "Ok, this buff is too good, so instead of just this guy having it now we're going to add five more who have it!" Seriously, there's a few of those now that span 75% of the specs within the catagorey.
Where do you get Kings from then? Still just Paladins? Sounds like you could feasibly get every raid buff in a 5 man now :lol

Alex

I bet Mark of the Wild will go to that category... and maybe 3-4 other things, who knows the way they're going.

If they wanna do it like this, they should just give everyone one unique buff, it's still stupid but it's less stupid than 5+ specs carrying some of these abilities.

But maybe that goes against the *ahem* "philosophy" of letting you get every buff in the game while questing in a duo.

I'm a fan of buffing and support classes, so this is just getting outright obnoxious to me. I used to really like the design type of Shaman, even with their problem periods, because I thought totems were a cool idea and it was the closest WoW had to a buffer/bard/whatever. It stuck out.

Now what the fuck is the point. :lol Seriously, just give every class one buff/debuff and let Paladins and Shamans have a small orbit of special ones. OH NO THEN YOU'LL FEEL COMPELLED TO BRING A PALADIN OR SHAMAN. Who the fuck cares, they act like they have a billion classes, they have ten.

At this point there will be FPS's with more unique class quirks.

firex

At this point they have built the classes so you play them for their non-buff spells instead of their buffs. I do think it's unnecessary to combine/reduce buffs on the level they are doing in cataclysm, but I also feel like buffing is more pointless than debuffing. I'd rather they give people access to more debuffs for tanks/dps, and proc more short-term buffs for healers while doing away with most of the long-term buffs. I say this mostly because I find stat buffs annoyingly crucial but uninteresting, compared to specific buffs/situational buffs and debuffs. At least for the core stats we're all used to.

That said, I can see that if they're going to keep str/agi/stam buffs, they need to give them to one other class so 3/10 can provide it. That part makes more sense to me, though I'd rather they just remove those buffs altogether. Looking at this now, though, this makes warriors the most self-sufficient plate class for buffs since they can cover either dps or tanking with their shouts, while paladins get sanctuary/kings/might, all of which are a bit weaker individually but useful overall.

Also, while I used to like the concept of totems (unique small buffs you can tailor to fit a group/raid) they definitely needed to consolidate them from before classic even came out, and still need a way to make them more mobile. Or at the very least, they need to be even more trivial to drop so moving them every pull isn't an issue. Still, on the whole so far I feel like cataclysm is the first time they've actually made the shaman go from worst-designed class into an effective hybrid at its three roles. Or at least so far, 2/3 of those roles (the caster ones) are really good while the melee role is under wraps so I have no idea how good it will be.

falastini

And that's why I doubt I'm going to carry my main into cataclysm (enh shaman). I was fine with the idea of the hybrid tax, when hybrids would bring more group buffs/utility to the raid, but with no unique buffs anymore what's the point of bringing a dps shaman when a pure damage class can output more damage while providing the same buffs.

It doesn't really matter anyways, I was wanting to do something other then dps in a raid setting for once. Possibly resto shaman... their new spells sound interesting. I do enjoy tanking as well, but it's harder to find a guild that needs one.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
water_wendi said:
If it were up to me they would just be werewolf monsters. No long eyelashes.. no eyeshadow.. no tits. Its not up to me though.

There's a difference between the Worgen you linked and the one that we're getting now.

Worgen anywhere but Gilneas and Grizzly Hills are all Worgen from the alternate universe place.

Playable Worgen are HUMANS with the worgen curse. They're not classic Werewolves that only turn on a full moon, they have an incurable curse.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
LAUGHTREY said:
There's a difference between the Worgen you linked and the one that we're getting now.

Worgen anywhere but Gilneas and Grizzly Hills are all Worgen from the alternate universe place.

Playable Worgen are HUMANS with the worgen curse. They're not classic Werewolves that only turn on a full moon, they have an incurable curse.
So what about the ones in Pyrewood Village? Those are Humans with the worgen curse.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
water_wendi said:
So what about the ones in Pyrewood Village? Those are Humans with the worgen curse.

So what are you getting at?

Just because they didn't make a female worgen NPC model doesn't mean there aren't any. It would be really stupid to make them look like male Worgen.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
LAUGHTREY said:
So what are you getting at?
LOL wtf were you getting at? You tried to use a lolore excuse to why there are no female worgen because the worgen from the alternate universe apparently dont have females. i countered this by saying that Pyrewood Village shows that there are female humans that have the worgen curse and they look the same when transformed.

Just because they didn't make a female worgen NPC model doesn't mean there aren't any. It would be really stupid to make them look like male Worgen.
Look.. we disagree. i would prefer a more "monstrous" look, you dont. Lets drop this shit already.

Sciz

water_wendi said:
i countered this by saying that Pyrewood Village shows that there are female humans that have the worgen curse and they look the same when transformed.
This has much more to do with Blizzard not caring about NPC art for quest chains than it does regarding any coherent artistic decision on their part.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I've been redoing my network. Opening ports. etc.

Is there any port that would help gameplay?

I see this on wowwiki "World of Warcraft & Burning Crusade use TCP port number 3724 to play and UDP port 3724 for in game Voice chat. "

mclem

falastini said:
And that's why I doubt I'm going to carry my main into cataclysm (enh shaman). I was fine with the idea of the hybrid tax, when hybrids would bring more group buffs/utility to the raid, but with no unique buffs anymore what's the point of bringing a dps shaman when a pure damage class can output more damage while providing the same buffs.

I'm pretty sure the design intent going into Cataclysm is that there will be no 'hybrid tax'.

Rapstah

Woah, my account was hacked. I didn't even have anything of value on it, like 2500 gold on my richest character, but when I tried logging in today I had to enter an authenticator code and I don't have one. I don't suppose I can contact Blizzard by e-mail or something that isn't by phone?

EDIT: And no, I don't visit any weird sites and I can't find keyloggers on my computer, which is sort of scaring me.

DarkJC

Having the mobile authenticator on my account can be a pain at times but geez it seems to be worth it.

I'd say your best bet is to just call them, as unpleasant as that sounds.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sorry to hear that. The hacking stuff is getting out of control. i dont know why Blizzard doesnt put in a keyboard that moves around on the login screen so you can just click your password in. Keyloggers seem to have a big problem with that.

Rapstah

If only I had known that the mobile authenticator existed for phones that aren't iPhones. I was assuming that I either had to get a physical authenticator or an iPhone but now I read that it's available for even my shitty 4 years old mobile phone. :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
sorry to hear rapstah..

but you bring up a HUGE point... PEOPLE!!! The mobile authenticator is available for a SHIT TON of phones!!!!!!! The "mobile phone" version (aka not Blackberry, Android, Iphone, etc) is a j2me app that works even on my 6 year old nokia. I think it costs 99¢ from Blizzard and then whatever charges your carrier will charge to download it, but even at a $1 from your carrier that's still $1.99 for the peace of mind that your account won't be hacked*. So seriously, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung. LG, HTC, Windows Mobile, Android, iPhone, whatever.. go to Blizzard's site and get the mobile authenticator. If your phone is truly so awful that it's not available, for christ sake drop the $6 on the key fob version. Don't think about "well I don't really have anything of value on my account...". Only think about how pissed you would be to one day login to play wow and find that you need to enter an authenticator code and now know that you have to sit on the phone with blizz getting your account back and stuff restored. $2, or even $6, seems worth it to every avoid that hassle!*

* no I won't even give acknowledgment to the authenticator "hack". If you hang around on the kind of sites that facilitate that type of "hack" you a) have to be so stupid that an authenticator isn't even going to help you or b) know the risk involved on hanging out on such sites.

edit - I really hope the rumor is true about them including the key fob in retail cataclysm boxes. by making the authenticator a mandatory part of the cataclysm install it will save their customer support a ton of headaches down the road.

I am in a guild that is doing some 25 man hard modes in ICC and has been working on 10 man Heroic Lich King since the buff was at 10%. The buff really doesn't make a big difference for the other 11 encounters. We have been downing those every week for 2 months now. If they die 30 seconds faster, that's great. HM Lich King really seems like it was balanced around the zone buff though. Not only is it demanding in terms of skill but also when it comes to DPS, tanking, healing, and gear. Tanks can take 70k hits in phase 1. There's no healing through that unless you're a bear with the right cooldown.

Anyway, I bet most people bitching about easy mode haven't been wiping on heroic Lich King for 2 months. WoW players just love to bitch like the people at the customer service line at Wal-Mart.

Rapstah

I filled out the e-mail form with all the information that I have including a scanned image of my passport :)lol) so hopefully I'll get control back of the account within a week. I bought the authenticator program for my shitty phone too so hopefully this will never happen again.

On a side note, the only field I didn't fill in was the "secret question answer" one. How am I supposed to answer the secret question if I can't remember what it is? I've always assumed you would get the question actually asked to you.

DarkJC

Rapstah said:
How am I supposed to answer the secret question if I can't remember what it is? I've always assumed you would get the question actually asked to you.

They don't ask you the question? :lol

I'm sure it's no big deal, the rest of the information should be more than enough, especially with a scanned passport.

Rapstah said:
Woah, my account was hacked. I didn't even have anything of value on it, like 2500 gold on my richest character, but when I tried logging in today I had to enter an authenticator code and I don't have one. I don't suppose I can contact Blizzard by e-mail or something that isn't by phone?

EDIT: And no, I don't visit any weird sites and I can't find keyloggers on my computer, which is sort of scaring me.

The one time my account was hacked was from an official Abode Flash update (from the abode website) that had had a keylogger attached to it. There was a huge official blue post about it a few weeks later.

http://www.destructoid.com/world-of-warcraft-hacked-through-adobe-flash-flaw-161439.phtml

So its pretty crazy the lengths people will go to, to get your account details.

Rapstah

Hm, wait a second, is there anything the hacker could potentially do with the credit card I have attached to the account? To buy anything the hacker would have to re-enter the information, right?

DarkJC

Yeah, the only thing they can do is see the last 4 numbers I think. Any paid service requires you to reenter all payment info.

Rapstah

DarkJC said:
Yeah, the only thing they can do is see the last 4 numbers I think. Any paid service requires you to reenter all payment info.
Phew, thanks. I guess all I have to do is... not play WoW for a while then.

I want to play WoW.

Tacitus_

borghe said:
sorry to hear rapstah..

but you bring up a HUGE point... PEOPLE!!! The mobile authenticator is available for a SHIT TON of phones!!!!!!! The "mobile phone" version (aka not Blackberry, Android, Iphone, etc) is a j2me app that works even on my 6 year old nokia.

Woah there's one? That was the reason I hadn't gotten one yet.

Edit: BOOO, doesn't support 6220 classic

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Tacitus_ said:
Woah there's one? That was the reason I hadn't gotten one yet.

Edit: BOOO, doesn't support 6220 classic
do you know if your phone is a "clone" of another phone. For example, they don't have the Nokia 6620 on there, but the 6620 is essentially the 6600 with an Edge radio specifically for (at the time) Cingular's frequencies in the US. I'm not familiar with the 6220, but if the CPU and such is the same as another supported phone it should still work.

mclem

DarkJC said:
What? Where did you read this?

Nowhere. It's rather more that it'd be utterly stupid *not* to dump that idea.

Think about what falastini was saying: he was indicating that there was no point in playing his hybrid character in the future because other characters bring more DPS and the raid buffs that were required in a raid; in other words, the implication is that the only reason his hybrid was being invited to the raid was for the buffs in question.

Take away that reason, and yes, hybrids will fall by the wayside, so you've gotta assume that Blizzard will compensate by making them fully-competitive DPS.

I mean, I accept I might be reading more competence into Blizzard than they actually *have*, but I don't think they're quite that dumb!

DarkJC

What reason is there to play a "pure" if there is no hybrid tax?

edit: To elaborate, I mean the implication goes both ways. It's a result of the homogenization of classes. If there is a hybrid tax, you might get hybrids rerolling pures. If there isn't, then you will get pures rerolling hybrids, because there is still a nice bonus to being a hybrid. So no I don't think it's safe to assume Blizzard will be removing something like that at all. Rather, I would hope they're taking this into consideration as they homogenize the classes.

edit edit: And while hybrids might not bring extra utility in terms of buffs anymore, I seem to recall the tone of blue posts saying they consider being able to fill multiple roles an important utility as well, which would suggest that they still believe hybrids have an advantage over pures. I have a gut feeling the hybrid tax is here to stay. If they see people abandoning hybrids left and right, then maybe they'll reconsider how much value being able to fill more than one role really has.

Fularu

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:
Anyway, I bet most people bitching about easy mode haven't been wiping on heroic Lich King for 2 months. WoW players just love to bitch like the people at the customer service line at Wal-Mart.
The idiots crying about easy modes probably haven'T even killed regular LK yet, let alone anything on hard mode.

While amazing players killed him with the 5% buff, the encounter was clearly balanced around the 15% one for the top end guild while balanced at 30% for your medium to good raiding guilds.

Bad players will still fail on regular LK even with the 30% buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom