• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DarkJC said:
edit: To elaborate, I mean the implication goes both ways. It's a result of the homogenization of classes. If there is a hybrid tax, you might get hybrids rerolling pures. If there isn't, then you will get pures rerolling hybrids, because there is still a nice bonus to being a hybrid. So no I don't think it's safe to assume Blizzard will be removing something like that at all. Rather, I would hope they're taking this into consideration as they homogenize the classes.

edit edit: And while hybrids might not bring extra utility in terms of buffs anymore, I seem to recall the tone of blue posts saying they consider being able to fill multiple roles an important utility as well, which would suggest that they still believe hybrids have an advantage over pures. I have a gut feeling the hybrid tax is here to stay. If they see people abandoning hybrids left and right, then maybe they'll reconsider how much value being able to fill more than one role really has.
exactly. either there is a hybrid tax and thus a reason to play hybrids for the "tax", or there isn't a hybrid tax and you play hybrids for TRUE dual spec (i.e. heal/tank during raids, dps during pvp). going forward I can't see anyone ditching druid because buffs and debuffs are going to be given lower priority. people are still going to want to tank bear, dps moonkin, etc.

Interfectum

in the 5+ years I've played wow I've never once rolled a class because of their buffs / debuffs selection. and in terms of hybrid tax... as long as they give the pure classes more utility i have no problem with hybrids being competitive in dps.

mclem

While I agree in principle, this is ignoring the people who - effectively - play hybrids *as* pures; as far as they're concerned, the other specs don't exist. It's worth also adding that, while those people may be uncommon, it's still the case that you can't take full advantage of hybridisation during periods where it matters the most.

Ultimately, you can only play one spec at full efficiency in a given bossfight - you can't respec in combat, although in an emergency you could throw on a 1h+shield and tank something, you wouldn't be remotely as good as a 'full' tank in that respect. I'm pretty sure one thing that Blizzard have said is that they don't plan raids with dual-speccing taken into account, they don't expect raid makeups to have to change on a boss-by-boss basis using it.

In short: In a single encounter, hybridisation makes little to no difference. Across an entire raid, maybe it's a factor. Should Blizzard be thinking in terms of encounters or raids? I suspected they were always working in terms of encounters, but I can see the argument for the other possibility.

FLEABttn

Banned
mclem said:
While I agree in principle, this is ignoring the people who - effectively - play hybrids *as* pures; as far as they're concerned, the other specs don't exist.

I'll stop you here because as long as a cat druid can shift into human form, battle rez someone, heal them to full, and then shift back into cat, they're a hybrid.

Which would be more desirable than a rogue, assuming the same DPS.

Rapstah

Took like four hours for Blizzard to reset my account and I now have a mobile authenticator attached. Now to survey the damage to my WoW account...

EDIT: My password was reset twice for some reason. Does that mean the hacker is still logged into my B.net account and how can I throw him out? Shouldn't adding an authenticator force everything to reset somehow?

EDIT 2: What's the best free keylog scanner there is? I feel like triple-checking.

FLEABttn

Banned
Rapstah said:
EDIT 2: What's the best free keylog scanner there is? I feel like triple-checking.

I like a mix of Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. Both are free.

Also, go get Secunia Personal Software Inspector. It'll tell you when your software (like java and flash) is out of date.

If you're using IE, stop using IE.

Rapstah said:
Took like four hours for Blizzard to reset my account and I now have a mobile authenticator attached. Now to survey the damage to my WoW account...

EDIT: My password was reset twice for some reason. Does that mean the hacker is still logged into my B.net account and how can I throw him out? Shouldn't adding an authenticator force everything to reset somehow?

He should have been kicked out of the account right as you slapped an authenticator on there and had your account back. He shouldn't be able to get back in because of the authenticator now.

As for best keylog scanner I can recommend both Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware. For a virus scanner go with Microsoft Security Essentials. All of those programs do a bang up job finding crap like that.

borghe

Rapstah said:
he should have been thrown out instantly. in the event he wasn't thrown out instantly, it doesn't matter, because he can't do much with your account and can't login to WoW without the authenticator, and even if he's on the battle.net management screen he can't remove the authenticator without providing the two most recent authenticator codes.

edit - I should say two concurrent authenticator codes. So even if he keylogs one code right now, he still needs the code IMMEDIATELY after it to remove it from your account.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The only way Blizzard would ever get rid of the "hybrid tax" is if they gave warlocks, mages, rogues and hunters a tanking or healing spec. Which also won't happen.

Without that hybrid tax - the entire game falls apart. Four classes are markedly worse than the others. The trick is keeping the tax low enough so that skill makes up for it

Fularu

Banned
FLEABttn said:
I'll stop you here because as long as a cat druid can shift into human form, battle rez someone, heal them to full, and then shift back into cat, they're a hybrid.

Which would be more desirable than a rogue, assuming the same DPS.
No druid in cat or bear gear will be able to heal you to full. Also while the druid can Bres, a rogue can Trick. 15% bonus damage for up to 10 seconds every 30 seconds is hardly negligeable.

Rapstah

Looks like Blizzard caught the hacker in the act, half my main character's inventory had been sold but the hacker had strangely missed the most expensive stuff. Still managed to get about 2800 gold from me (all of which I got back in mails to the respective characters, nice).

Tacitus_

borghe said:
do you know if your phone is a "clone" of another phone. For example, they don't have the Nokia 6620 on there, but the 6620 is essentially the 6600 with an Edge radio specifically for (at the time) Cingular's frequencies in the US. I'm not familiar with the 6220, but if the CPU and such is the same as another supported phone it should still work.

Well the guy who sold it to me said it was a nice upgrade to my N70 and N70 runs it so I could just buy the N70 version and use my old cell if it doesn't work on the 6220c

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
borghe said:
he should have been thrown out instantly. in the event he wasn't thrown out instantly, it doesn't matter, because he can't do much with your account and can't login to WoW without the authenticator, and even if he's on the battle.net management screen he can't remove the authenticator without providing the two most recent authenticator codes.

edit - I should say two concurrent authenticator codes. So even if he keylogs one code right now, he still needs the code IMMEDIATELY after it to remove it from your account.
Fuck that shit.

If I get keylogged, I'm reformatting just to be safe.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
mclem said:
While I agree in principle, this is ignoring the people who - effectively - play hybrids *as* pures; as far as they're concerned, the other specs don't exist. It's worth also adding that, while those people may be uncommon, it's still the case that you can't take full advantage of hybridisation during periods where it matters the most.
Whats the difference between a cat dps spec and a bear tank spec? 10 points? You could easily have a cat dps switch to a bear tank if a tank died, or have the tank switch to dps during phases that require no tanking.

FLEABttn

Banned
Fularu said:
No druid in cat or bear gear will be able to heal you to full. Also while the druid can Bres, a rogue can Trick. 15% bonus damage for up to 10 seconds every 30 seconds is hardly negligeable.

Okay, heal you to 50% and then let the healer take over. You're still brezzed.

Second part doesn't factor in with no hybrid tax. Cat druids would have some trick making them equal to rogues in DPS.

Which was really my entire point. With no hybrid tax on DPS, there's no point in playing a pure class.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mclem said:
Nowhere. It's rather more that it'd be utterly stupid *not* to dump that idea.

Think about what falastini was saying: he was indicating that there was no point in playing his hybrid character in the future because other characters bring more DPS and the raid buffs that were required in a raid; in other words, the implication is that the only reason his hybrid was being invited to the raid was for the buffs in question.

Take away that reason, and yes, hybrids will fall by the wayside, so you've gotta assume that Blizzard will compensate by making them fully-competitive DPS.

I mean, I accept I might be reading more competence into Blizzard than they actually *have*, but I don't think they're quite that dumb!
forumavatar.png

Fularu

Banned
You still don't understand.

A druid will bres someone

You are tricking someone and either improving their DPS immensely (properly timed with cooldowns and such) or improving raid damage vastly by improving the tank's threat.

Neither of those are doable by your druid. You have different raid utility, deal with it.

The hybrid tax is dumb, hybrids can't fullfill two roles in a single fight, neither can you, end of story.

Interfectum

FLEABttn said:
Okay, heal you to 50% and then let the healer take over. You're still brezzed.

Second part doesn't factor in with no hybrid tax. Cat druids would have some trick making them equal to rogues in DPS.

Which was really my entire point. With no hybrid tax on DPS, there's no point in playing a pure class.

Yes, cat druid has brez but you are completely ignoring all the utility a rogue has over a druid cat in and out of raiding.

FLEABttn

Banned
Fularu said:

You are tricking someone and either improving their DPS immensely (properly timed with cooldowns and such) or improving raid damage vastly by improving the tank's threat.

Neither of those are doable by your druid. You have different raid utility, deal with it.

The hybrid tax is dumb, hybrids can't fullfill two roles in a single fight, neither can you, end of story.

This is a zero sum game. You get more DPS and less utility or more utility and less DPS. If you can drop the occasional heal on yourself or others, that's a utility a pure doesn't have.

To get higher DPS, you have to give up utility. Not liking your utility or not using it given good circumstances doesn't mean you don't have it.

Is the zero sum game perfect? No, but that doesn't mean it's not there, or that it shouldn't be there.

Interfectum said:
Yes, cat druid has brez but you are completely ignoring all the utility a rogue has over a druid cat in and out of raiding.

It's been a couple years since I high end raided with one. In all seriousness and no sarcasm, please do tell.

Oh, outside of tricks of the trade's threat "bonus". Threat hasn't mattered all expac and isn't likely to start mattering again in Cata.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Fularu said:
1. This isn't true

2. They can also perform multiple roles while soloing, doing dungeons, battlegrounds, etc. etc.

The tax is low enough that it just gives the four pure dps classes something to offset their reduced capability in all aspects of the game, and besides the point - it's rarely, if ever balanced correctly. Warriors and DKs spent this whole expansion above at least two or there of the pures, with Paladins, Druids and some other classes also getting some time above them.

Angry Grimace

Fularu said:

It has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with the fact that a Mage would have to level up a new character from 1-80 if he wanted to tank.

borghe

Angry Grimace said:
Fuck that shit.

If I get keylogged, I'm reformatting just to be safe.
nah... you just need to run a handful of great tools. spybot, microsoft essentials, hijackthis, and malware bytes all in safe mode offline should be more than enough to remove any and every malicious program.

firex

I agree that the hybrid tax is dumb (I also don't think it really exists anymore and will be going away). Mostly they make up for it by having the pure classes capable of effective threat reduction and CC.

It's also harder to balance all the hybrids because the more roles they have, the harder it is to make all the roles competitive. The inability for any hybrid to switch roles mid-fight is why they don't punish people for playing hybrids like they did in classic, and to a lesser extent, TBC. But the key is that pure classes usually have more tools for their role than the hybrids do. Hybrids can do the same role, but with less flexibility. The only real exception is tanking/healing because all tanks/healers are hybrids.

Wrekt

Angry Grimace said:
It has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with the fact that a Mage would have to level up a new character from 1-80 if he wanted to tank.
The boss doesn't care if the Druid can drop combat, switch specs and gear then start tanking him.

Refer to Everquest 1 on why a hybrid tax should not exist. You brought 1 of each class for their unique buffs and then stacked the raid with as many clerics, wizards and rogues as you could. Being able to switch roles is great but you can't switch roles in combat and bosses are tuned with that in mind. If the best feral only does 75% the dps of your rogues, you won't take that feral even if he can shift out and toss weak ass rejuvs out for the 20 seconds before he goes oom.

Fularu

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with the fact that a Mage would have to level up a new character from 55-80 if he wanted to tank.

I fixed the leveling for you.

Also hybrids as in "can fill different roles with a respec in a fight" is no longer considered a valid argument. Mages have tanked two fights in BC, Locks have been tanking fights since Vanilla. Should they suffer the hybrid tax too? since they obviously can tank too!

Also will the frost mage and the fire/arcane mage have comparable roles in a given fight? No, frost mages would be used to slow down incoming packs of mobs or control a fight, doesn'T that fall under the hybrid definition?

In the end, the "hybrid"/"pure" topic is a dumb one, because while in a raid, there's no such thing as a hybrid player, every single one of them is focused on a single role they are fullfilling.

A rogue and a Cat should do the same dps, end of story, what makes you bring one or the other is the fact that you want to play with the guy controlling the character. Telling a cat "you can only do 90% of my DPS because you can Bres someone or switch spec and heal" is incredibly stupid.

Angry Grimace

Fularu said:
I fixed the leveling for you.

Also hybrids as in "can fill different roles with a respec in a fight" is no longer considered a valid argument. Mages have tanked two fights in BC, Locks have been tanking fights since Vanilla. Should they suffer the hybrid tax too? since they obviously can tank too!

Also will the frost mage and the fire/arcane mage have comparable roles in a given fight? No, frost mages would be used to slow down incoming packs of mobs or control a fight, doesn'T that fall under the hybrid definition?

In the end, the "hybrid"/"pure" topic is a dumb one, because while in a raid, there's no such thing as a hybrid player, every single one of them is focused on a single role they are fullfilling.

A rogue and a Cat should do the same dps, end of story, what makes you bring one or the other is the fact that you want to play with the guy controlling the character. Telling a cat "you can only do 90% of my DPS because you can Bres someone or switch spec and heal" is incredibly stupid.
Uproarius. /golfclap

As for the rest of the post, you responded to the point by restating your original point and ignoring the stated reason; it's because Mages can't tank or heal. The fact that a mage tanked 2 gimmick fights out of 57 boss fights in BC isn't a particularly valid argument; those are gimmicks. And frankly, the "ranged tank" role is gone; there's no purpose in letting anyone other than a Death Knight serve that role, and they can do it in a tank spec. You can't just ignore the fact that Mages, Warlocks, Rogues and Hunters never had the option to choose those other roles in the first place.

Angry Grimace

firex said:
I agree that the hybrid tax is dumb (I also don't think it really exists anymore and will be going away). Mostly they make up for it by having the pure classes capable of effective threat reduction and CC.

It's also harder to balance all the hybrids because the more roles they have, the harder it is to make all the roles competitive. The inability for any hybrid to switch roles mid-fight is why they don't punish people for playing hybrids like they did in classic, and to a lesser extent, TBC. But the key is that pure classes usually have more tools for their role than the hybrids do. Hybrids can do the same role, but with less flexibility. The only real exception is tanking/healing because all tanks/healers are hybrids.
No, the problem is, you can't tax healers and tanks because there aren't enough of them as is. Every class can already DPS. Wrath got that part of class balance exactly right; good Ret Pallies can beat shitty mages, but a good mage will always beat a good Ret Pally. It works great. The percentage difference is small enough to be noticable, but not enough to make it so that nobody will bring a ret pally, ala Vanilla or TBC.

The Hybrid Tax has nothing to do with your role in a given fight but whether you have the option in the first place to switch.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Fularu said:
Your argument makes four classes useless. Why should anyone play a hunter, rogue warlock or mage when they could just roll a hybrid and collect gear (at the same time as they collect gear for their primary spec) that will let them heal as good as the raids healers or tank as good as the raids tanks?

The tax exists for a reason. And it's so small that it's practically negligible anyway

J-Rzez

My main is a DK. I believe they should maintain a hybrid tax. Something has to make said pures look more attractive to have. Either they need UNIQUE BUFFS that can not be found else, read; not just utility, or they need to continue doing the most DPS. If you can throw heals on yourself while dps'n, or others, you need to be taxed. If you can brez someone in battle, taxed. I don't fucking care if you can't throw heals as strong as a tree, but when a feral pre-hots and battles, they're annoying as fuck. Then they'll root you or shift get away, hot up again, go back at it.

Now, the only thing that throws a wrench in the works is this. Bloodlust (I don't call it "flower power" like the alliance version) is a major buff that Blizzard works into shaman "tax". Are they going to do the same for Mages now is the question? I'm still rather glad they gave mages more CC, lust + movement speed boost. I wonder who designs the classes there sometimes.

Fularu said:

Absolutely, positively, no. You can Brez, pinch heal, pre-hot shift to bear to annoy ppl in pvp and in many cases win by being able to go Cat-Bear-Heal-Cat-Bear-Heal-etc. Druids are the most BS class in the game, their cat dps is too high as it is right now, and they need to be lowered into the cellar for being able to play 4-roles.

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
My main is a DK. I believe they should maintain a hybrid tax. Something has to make said pures look more attractive to have. Either they need UNIQUE BUFFS that can not be found else, read; not just utility, or they need to continue doing the most DPS. If you can throw heals on yourself while dps'n, or others, you need to be taxed. If you can brez someone in battle, taxed. I don't fucking care if you can't throw heals as strong as a tree, but when a feral pre-hots and battles, they're annoying as fuck. Then they'll root you or shift get away, hot up again, go back at it.

Now, the only thing that throws a wrench in the works is this. Bloodlust (I don't call it "flower power" like the alliance version) is a major buff that Blizzard works into shaman "tax". Are they going to do the same for Mages now is the question? I'm still rather glad they gave mages more CC, lust + movement speed boost. I wonder who designs the classes there sometimes.

Absolutely, positively, no. You can Brez, pinch heal, pre-hot shift to bear to annoy ppl in pvp and in many cases win by being able to go Cat-Bear-Heal-Cat-Bear-Heal-etc. Druids are the most BS class in the game, their cat dps is too high as it is right now, and they need to be lowered into the cellar for being able to play 4-roles.
The presumption is that Bloodlust just counts as a regular raid buff now.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im curious as to why you need to be in a Raid group to enter Raid instances. Its so stupid they still have this limitation on things two expansions later.

borghe

water_wendi said:
im curious as to why you need to be in a Raid group to enter Raid instances. Its so stupid they still have this limitation on things two expansions later.
well my guess is that it's not a "stupid" limitation and is there for a reason. The fact that they don't really go out of their way to stop you, just require at least a two person raid, leads me to believe it's an engine mechanic.

but really, what's more stupid, requiring you to be in a raid, or complaining when all you need to do is find ONE other friend and invite them to a raid to get in? They don't even need to be at the raid instance for the invite..

my guess is it's along the same mechanic of (and probably actually intended for) not being able to enter a 5-man as a raid, more than actually stopping people from 2-manning or soloing old raids.

Fularu

Banned
J-Rzez said:

Lol, honestly this kind of stupid drivel is better suited for the official forums.

The hybrid tax is prety much gone, as some would say, deal with it. A bres is just a selectable soul stone, just like you predetermine, ahead of the start of the fight, who's going to benefit from it. Is it more flexible? Yes, is it better? only slightly so. Should it warrant a tax? No fucking way.

And seriously, heals? As a feral? Do you know how large the mana pool is in dps leather gear? Do you seriously believe it would do anything? Not at all.

so because a druid can bres, he should suffer an arbitrary DPS tax? Why not a healing one then? (After all, it's bullshit! They can be ranged, melee, tank and heals! So OP!)

Nothing is rendering any class useless. All I see is a bunch of crybabies screaming that the sky is falling on the "pures".

Warriors had to deal with tanking homogeneity and options, so will you.

OMG DEY TOOK OUR JEBS

No more preferential treatment because crying mages or rogues complain non stop on the forums that they should be top DPS "because I can't do anything else!" while ignoring the vast array of tools they bring to a raid.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
borghe said:
but really, what's more stupid, requiring you to be in a raid, or complaining when all you need to do is find ONE other friend and invite them to a raid to get in? They don't even need to be at the raid instance for the invite..
Well trying to find someone when your friends are offline is kind of annoying. Sure you can spam chats to try and find someone but that person is kind of forced to do nothing once they join your party for a Raid. Basically im forced to get into Wintergrasp and pray that i get leader before someone disbands the raid. Its annoying when im just sitting around with nothing to do because im blocked because of needing to create a Raid group.

firex

Angry Grimace said:
No, the problem is, you can't tax healers and tanks because there aren't enough of them as is. Every class can already DPS. Wrath got that part of class balance exactly right; good Ret Pallies can beat shitty mages, but a good mage will always beat a good Ret Pally. It works great. The percentage difference is small enough to be noticable, but not enough to make it so that nobody will bring a ret pally, ala Vanilla or TBC.

The Hybrid Tax has nothing to do with your role in a given fight but whether you have the option in the first place to switch.
I guess we're talking about something different then but using the same terminology. I equate less tools for roles (well, less for dps) as the hybrid tax and not reduced DPS numbers. Mainly because like you say, a good player of a pure class will beat a good player of a hybrid anyway. But I view that as more of a function of better defined talents/core abilities since it's only doing one role.

Although I feel like this buff/debuff homogenization hurts hybrids more than anything, because part of the reason for playing a hybrid for some people (like someone switching mains) is because of their unique abilities in that role. I just hope blizzard can do a good job making it so there are unique abilities as a dps warrior/dk/druid/shaman/priest/paladin that aren't tied directly to a debuff or something, mainly because the only one now that remains unique is paladin judgements.

borghe

water_wendi said:
Well trying to find someone when your friends are offline is kind of annoying. Sure you can spam chats to try and find someone but that person is kind of forced to do nothing once they join your party for a Raid. Basically im forced to get into Wintergrasp and pray that i get leader before someone disbands the raid. Its annoying when im just sitting around with nothing to do because im blocked because of needing to create a Raid group.
fair enough. like I said, the mechanic is probably in place not to block non-raiders from entering raid instances, but probably to block raids from entering non-raid instances. the way it is is very easy to get around for one or two people wanting to get into a raid instance, and is impossible for people to get around wanting to go into a 5-man with more than 5 people.

Angry Grimace

Fularu said:
Lol, honestly this kind of stupid drivel is better suited for the official forums.

The hybrid tax is prety much gone, as some would say, deal with it. A bres is just a selectable soul stone, just like you predetermine, ahead of the start of the fight, who's going to benefit from it. Is it more flexible? Yes, is it better? only slightly so. Should it warrant a tax? No fucking way.

And seriously, heals? As a feral? Do you know how large the mana pool is in dps leather gear? Do you seriously believe it would do anything? Not at all.

so because a druid can bres, he should suffer an arbitrary DPS tax? Why not a healing one then? (After all, it's bullshit! They can be ranged, melee, tank and heals! So OP!)

Nothing is rendering any class useless. All I see is a bunch of crybabies screaming that the sky is falling on the "pures".

Warriors had to deal with tanking homogeneity and options, so will you.

OMG DEY TOOK OUR JEBS

No more preferential treatment because crying mages or rogues complain non stop on the forums that they should be top DPS "because I can't do anything else!" while ignoring the vast array of tools they bring to a raid.
The "Vast Array of Tools" for any DPS usually can boil down to "DPS."

But you're just ignoring the point over and over. You speak as though you literally don't even understand why the tax exists. It's because Mages can't spec heals or tanks, not because of soulstones, or healing in a pinch.

Ghostcrawler said:
I'm going to sticky this since it gets brought up more than almost any other topic.

We only recognize two types of classes for PvE purposes:

---------------->Can respec to fulfill a different role = hybrid.
Cannot respec to fulfill a different role = pure.
<----------------

The roles are tank, healing and damage.

In our design, having two healing trees (priest) or half a tanking tree (druid) or three dps trees (DK) does not put these classes in different categories of hybridness. A hybrid is a hybrid.

It's the roles that your class lets you do that is important, not how those roles are organized into talent trees. The paladin is one way to organize the trees (a tanking tree, healing tree and melee dps tree) but not the only way. However, there is a reason we don't do this for every class -- it would be boring.

In our design, the pure dps classes (hunter, mage, warlock and rogue) should do slightly higher dps than hybrid damage-dealers all things being equal. All things are rarely equal. Player skill, gear, raid comp, latency, random luck and most importantly the specifics of the encounter will often favor one class, spec or player over another.

The reason we want pures to so slightly higher damage is that pures can only fulfill one role. If your guild or raid has no more need for damage-dealers, there is no way for these classes to raid with you. By contrast, the six other classes always have the option to respec for another role either temporarily or for the long haul.

*****************The Blizzard definition of hybrid in this context has nothing to do with whether you can perform multiple roles within a single fight or even within a single raid.********************* It has more to do with the potential for your class to ever fulfill more than one role.

Likewise, the Blizzard definition of hybrid in this context has nothing to do with the power of certain buffs or class synergy. We want all classes to bring useful tools to the raid.

Just because you’re not interested in doing anything other than damage does not qualify your class as a pure as long as the option to change roles is there. For the pure classes the only option is to reroll. We think the pure classes would start to disappear over time, at least from high-end raiding, if there was no advantage for being a pure. The hybrid advantage is flexibility.

There is not a “5% rule” that says pures should be 5% higher than hybrids in every circumstance. Again, most of the time other factors such as the encounter specifics will have a greater effect. The “5% rule” was either something a player suggested that stuck or something we threw out at some point as an example. It isn’t a hard and fast rule. We aren’t going to provide a hard and fast rule because players would then attempt to invoke that rule every time they thought their damage was too low instead of exploring other ways to improve their character’s performance.

This philosophy largely evolved in Wrath of the Lich King and is the design we plan on carrying forward to Cataclysm. In vanilla WoW, every class typically had one role. In BC, we tried to promote other roles for some classes, but we still didn’t make everyone play by the same rules. Warriors, and I hate to pick on them, were intended to be the best tank while also deliver dps that we would now label as competitive with rogues. By contrast, druids, paladins, priests and shaman were intended to be competitive healers, but have dramatically lower dps than pures and warriors. Likewise, druids, paladins, priests and shaman brought many unique and powerful buffs that were intended to compensate for their low dps. We spread these buffs out to a much greater degree in Lich King, and plan on refining that implementation for Cataclysm.

TLDR:

Hybrid = can respec to fulfill a different role (damage, tanking, or healing).
Hybrid != can fill multiple roles at the same time.
Hybrid != has awesome, amazing buffs or utility.
Hybrid != pure. Beyond that, there are no shades of gray among hybrids.

In general, we ask that players focus their feedback more on class mechanics and what is fun or not fun about the classes and not simply on “My dps is too low so you must buff me.”
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20677330431&sid=1

(emphasis added, in case you couldn't tell :lol)

TL/DR, the game designer says you are wrong.

New patch came out for Cata F&F and the male Worgen has been given its dance. Small preview here with a video coming in a while.

S62oL.gif

Now with male Goblin! Looks like Soulja Boy.

8MAUN.gif

J-Rzez

Fularu said:
Lol, honestly this kind of stupid drivel is better suited for the official forums..

I agree, you should head over there with your posts.

You miss the point entirely here. Druids have 4 specs, in which some talents in the feral tree especially can trickle here and there to be super annoying in PVP. Roots, Cyclones, Mark, Leader of the Pack, Thorns, Boomkin buffs. Consider the multiple buffs brought at the same (mark, thorns, leader), Brez. That class has the most options, most utility. They should be no where near top dps. You think it's ok for a cat to do as much dmg as a rogue, where they can pounce/burst, get away, hot, bear them down? No. Like it or not, it'd have too much of a impact on PVP, and yes, they try to balance them together.

No other class has FOUR routes to choose with their main to fill a role. NONE. That is why your class should be taxed even further. Once again though, a greedy druid, no surprise here. I play a hybrid as a main, and I understand why I shouldn't do the same DPS.

DPS order, how it should be, based on a real hybrid tax:

Top DPS:
Rogues
Locks
Mages
Hunters

Next:
Wars
DKs
Priests
Shaman

Then...:
Paladins

Further yet:
Druids.

Back to more important things... Let's see that video Harry! :p

AND... if female worgens DONT do the Caramelldansen dance, Blizzard fails. Oh man the type of people that would be drawn to Worgen would go well beyond the furries. :lol

J-Rzez said:
Back to more important things... Let's see that video Harry! :p

AND... if female worgens DONT do the Caramelldansen dance, Blizzard fails. Oh man the type of people that would be drawn to Worgen would go well beyond the furries. :lol

Still waiting for the video to be posted. I'll link it when it's ready.

Here we go.

Male Worgen dance. (Music sucks so just mute it.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBzKjuYyqk0

Male Goblin dance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrNwPfVEDw

J-Rzez

HarryDemeanor said:

Here we go.

Male Goblin dance

Thanks!

What's the worgen male dance supposed to be? I can't tell. The goblins dances are pretty noticeable what they reference. Caramelldansen for female worgen, make it happen for the lulz that the alliance will be getting even more creeps playing on their side!

Oh well, Blizzcon will have a couple more dances for people to do for a change now in the dance off lol.

ampere

HarryDemeanor said:

Here we go.

Male Goblin dance
Soulja Boy dance :lol and the female Goblins have Single Ladies :lol
Hmm, I have no idea what the male Worgen dance is and that's the new character I'll have to make since I'm Alliance.

Man, if I had one gripe with playing Alliance only it's that I'll miss Goblins. But it's such a pain to have a character without access to all my other characters with maxed professions and my guild, etc.

And wow, I never realized how upset some people get over the hybrid tax. It makes sense to me, if you can perform multiple roles you should be a little inferior at each. It'd be cool if there were a 'healing only' or 'tanking only' class but for obvious single player leveling reasons that wouldn't work :p (I guess Warriors and Priests used to be like that though - I didn't play pre-BC but that's sort of what I hear)

Tacitus_

J-Rzez said:
I agree, you should head over there with your posts.

You miss the point entirely here. Druids have 4 specs, in which some talents in the feral tree especially can trickle here and there to be super annoying in PVP. Roots, Cyclones, Mark, Leader of the Pack, Thorns, Boomkin buffs. Consider the multiple buffs brought at the same (mark, thorns, leader), Brez. That class has the most options, most utility. They should be no where near top dps. You think it's ok for a cat to do as much dmg as a rogue, where they can pounce/burst, get away, hot, bear them down? No. Like it or not, it'd have too much of a impact on PVP, and yes, they try to balance them together.

No other class has FOUR routes to choose with their main to fill a role. NONE. That is why your class should be taxed even further. Once again though, a greedy druid, no surprise here. I play a hybrid as a main, and I understand why I shouldn't do the same DPS.
l

You know where your argument is stupid? At the parts where you say feral druids DPS should be gimped because they can a) raid buff (every class, even rogues can do it) b) heal (they'll go oom faster than they can say cat form and they won't heal for shit without SP gear) c) bring pvp balance into pve dps discussion.

If you think that they shouldn't do as much DPS because they have multiple roles, feel fre to think like that. Although I'd still disagree because the playstyles can differ so greatly even with pure classes.

mclem

Angry Grimace said:
TL/DR, the game designer says you are wrong.

I hadn't seen that GC post before, it's interesting - and it looks like you're completely correct in the 'tax' continuing.

I think there's still a flaw in his logic, though:
The reason we want pures to so slightly higher damage is that pures can only fulfill one role. If your guild or raid has no more need for damage-dealers, there is no way for these classes to raid with you. By contrast, the six other classes always have the option to respec for another role either temporarily or for the long haul.
The flaw, I think, is that their stated design goal is only really built around thinking in one direction; "We should nerf their DPS because they are valuable to the raid due to being able to become a tank". That seems reasonable, but the implied reverse is a bit of a problem; "If there's no use for an extra tank, they'll have to become an inadequate DPSer". That, I have an issue with.

As a raid leader I'm already having to ensure that all my tanks get an adequate amount of important work to do; tanking roles are already thin on the ground. It doesn't help that I'm always theorising how certain fights could be single-tankable (next project: I think Gunship can be done with just one tank...)! It doesn't help that, if they're focussed on being a tank, they aren't likely to be as *good* using their DPS role anyway. If we're doing a first kill of a DPS check fight I know what the correct decision is for the guild, but it's one I dislike being forced to make.

I guess he thinks that's the lesser of two evils. That's fair enough, really; I suspect it's a less common situation than the DPS->tank/heal one that his description is designed to guard against being too great an advantage. For me, it's the norm, but I suspect our guild is unusual in that respect, anyway.

In short: I get why it's done, but it's one of the things that contributes to general bad feeling among tanks.

Having said *all* that, I do have to admit I've never really *noticed* any such hybrid tax in recent content. Maybe it's a design goal, but possibly only encountered at theoretical maximum outputs; our hybrids are definitely competitive. While I disagree with it in principle, it's ultimately irrelevant for us. If it became an issue, then yes, I'd be screaming it from the rooftops, but right now it's theory, little more.

So maybe the real solution is this: If he hadn't said anything, we'd have been none the wiser, and no-one would have any problem!

Sciz

Angry Grimace said:
But you're just ignoring the point over and over. You speak as though you literally don't even understand why the tax exists. It's because Mages can't spec heals or tanks, not because of soulstones, or healing in a pinch.
I would imagine most dedicated mages don't give a damn about tanking or healing, regardless of whether or not they can. Likewise, I imagine most dps hybrids chose their class for its playstyle more so than the ability to someday stop dpsing entirely. The entire thing boils down to a hypothetical worry that one group of people might stop having fun, and so the problem is shifted over to the people who can more easily stop having fun and might not just quit.

Someone give me a plausible scenario for why a pure's inability to change roles is significant, because Ghostcrawler never has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom