• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

Female Worgens look so much better with hair.

Still prefer the male models though so I think I'll go male druid when I get round to seeing the alliance revamped levelling. Can't wait!

firex

One other thing I forgot is the removal of fire nova totem and the replacement with a regular old fire nova spell. Yet another decent aoe for elemental shamans to cast, especially if they get to drop searing/magma totem at range.

Just as an example of possible talent changes, without knowing really how all the new cataclysm talents will work, a cookie-cutter elemental build (possibly outdated, but I don't think so and I don't want to wade through google to find a new one) right now is like this: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#hEh0qcdItGfzAo0xxco:MbpoMz

With the cataclysm changes, 5 points from Concussion are freed up, Lightning overload might be gone (because it's the new passive mastery bonus and also applies to lava burst) and Thundering strikes from enhance is also going to be gone. So that's at least 10 points, more likely 13, free to spend on utility skills that are actually pretty awesome but don't provide a pve/dps advantage like Astral shift, Reverberation, Elemental warding, Improved shields (it also increases the mp5 from the spell) and so on.

Resto is similar. They will probably gain another 5+ points from the current build that they can spend on cool but not so useful talents like Nature's guardian or Improved reincarnation (if that still exists in cataclysm) or Shamanistic focus (I've heard they are working in a kind of holy paladin-esque gimmick where using a shock will empower a resto shaman's healing for several seconds) and so on.

The one area where I am still concerned is enhance, because 1) dual wield and parry shouldn't be talents (just give it to the class by default because it won't break them in any way, they are already designed around dual wield dps for melee and it's impossible to dual wield caster stuff for elemental/resto, and the parry nerf will amount to a zero-sum survivability change for resto/ele in anything but solo/5 man content) and 2) it will be getting gutted and redone almost entirely in cataclysm. Just look at the talents - nearly all of them are the type blizzard's doing away with (passive crit increases, buff increases). This either means enhance becomes awesome or it becomes a serious work in progress that will take a lot of patches to fix. So in my case, my shaman's healing spec is looking like it will be even more awesome in cataclysm. But I have to decide what to do with my dps spec, based upon which one I like more. I almost wish there was a tri-spec so I could have all three and change whenever I want, although really I can just respec ele if I want to change my dps spec and not have to worry about gear that much.

Sciz

I wrote up the changes to shaman talents based on the leaked trees from a while back somewhere.

Ah, here it is.

Clearly unfinished, but that'll give you something to chew on.

edit: One interesting bit that isn't mentioned there is that Dual Wield was moved up to the 21-point spot. Which is primarily nice for Enhance, but I can't help but wonder how the theorycrafting will work out to toss a spellpower enchant and Flametongue/Earthliving on a melee dps offhand for the caster trees instead of using a shield. And how quickly Blizzard will nerf it.

falastini

Well, I read somewhere that static shock no longer consumes lightening shields. That's a good first step, but they need to do more the clear up enhancement's convoluted dps rotation; especially since unleashed weapon is going to be in the mix now. They also need to increase the damage from abilities so they matter more in enhancement's overall dps. As it is now, ~70% of the overall damage comes from effects the player has no control over (random procs, autoattack, etc.). That would also help in pvp (having more reliable damage), but they have survivability issues that also need to be addressed in that arena.

Resto is getting some awesome additions. All three of the new abilities will be useful in some form. I'm seriously considering playing as one come expansion time.

I don't mess around with Elemental much to comment, but having an AOE they can cast without having to run into melee range is a plus.

firex

Sciz said:
I wrote up the changes to shaman talents based on the leaked trees from a while back somewhere.

Ah, here it is.

Clearly unfinished, but that'll give you something to chew on.

edit: One interesting bit that isn't mentioned there is that Dual Wield was moved up to the 21-point spot. Which is primarily nice for Enhance, but I can't help but wonder how the theorycrafting will work out to toss a spellpower enchant and Flametongue/Earthliving on a melee dps offhand for the caster trees instead of using a shield. And how quickly Blizzard will nerf it.
It won't be worth it because there are almost no dual wieldable caster weapons, except for I think one or two weapons from the CoT Hyjal raid. Which are obviously going to be useless by level 80, much less 85. Unless I'm missing something that happened around the time of the 3.0 patch, but I could have sworn all caster weapons are designated as main hand.

Sciz

firex said:
It won't be worth it because there are almost no dual wieldable caster weapons, except for I think one or two weapons from the CoT Hyjal raid. Which are obviously going to be useless by level 80, much less 85. Unless I'm missing something that happened around the time of the 3.0 patch, but I could have sworn all caster weapons are designated as main hand.
Yeah, I know. The question is whether or not an enchant+imbue is more useful than an enchanted shield, even on a physical dps weapon. I don't seriously expect it to survive to live or to last long there if it does, but it's an interesting quirk that's currently viable.

falastini said:
I don't mess around with Elemental much to comment, but having an AOE they can cast without having to run into melee range is a plus.
Earthquake is interesting. It's more like Magma Totem in being fire-and-forget unlike every other channeled aoe in the game, and consequently there's still plenty of time to run in, drop MT, and start using FN, CL, and FS like normal before the cooldown is back up. It'll be a massive mana drain, but an elemental who uses every available ability is going to do absolutely ridiculous damage.

Has there been any talk of improving the Druid UI? Specifically the cat form UI? They could really use a stealth bar and a real stealth button like Rogues. I'm leveling a feral druid and that's my biggest problem with them.

firex

Oh yeah, I didn't think of it like that. I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue, but I also have a feeling the base FT/EL weapon buffs will be changed a little bit to reflect the int->spell power conversion. Even if they aren't, they will probably come up with a different solution for shamans instead of moving dual wield back down to 31 points.

This actually makes me think that enhance would be better served just sticking with 2h and using druid staves/maces and the occasional hunter axe (for orcs) by design, though. Although I'm almost positive they went to dual wield so they could up shaman dps without having to nerf/break the WF buff, since lucky WF triple crits were part of the popular shaman hate in classic WoW. I wonder now if slow/slow will still be best for shaman? I'm guessing yes because the lava lash change just reinforces it, but I'm not sure. Still kind of wish they could come up with a good use for the frostbrand imbue since it's so useless.

One thing to get from that earthquake spell description is it doesn't say how long the channel is. I forget if channels are boosted by haste or not, but if so then that makes sense. But they said from the beginning that earthquake is meant to be a channeled aoe, so it'll be more like a shaman's version of blizzard or rain of fire, or maybe more like hurricane. But between earthquake and fire nova, elemental looks like it can finally be more well-rounded. Right now it's a pretty boring spec (to me) because you really only have to worry about keeping flame shock up and casting lava burst on cooldown, and otherwise you just press the lightning bolt button in the interim. Sometimes you can use chain lightning, like on an aoe pull, but it's not really a standard part of the rotation, especially for raiding. But giving elemental some more stuff to do should be fun, and I hope that idea to drop fire totems at range goes through so they can drop down a searing totem on boss fights.

falastini

Oni Link 666 said:
Has there been any talk of improving the Druid UI? Specifically the cat form UI? They could really use a stealth bar and a real stealth button like Rogues. I'm leveling a feral druid and that's my biggest problem with them.

Use 2-in-1 macros to save hotkeys, like..

/cast [nostealth] Shred; [stealth] Ravage

I think that works? And you can do the same with Pounce and Mangle.

cats don't have that many stealth abilities right? or am i forgetting some?

Sciz

firex said:
One thing to get from that earthquake spell description is it doesn't say how long the channel is. I forget if channels are boosted by haste or not, but if so then that makes sense. But they said from the beginning that earthquake is meant to be a channeled aoe, so it'll be more like a shaman's version of blizzard or rain of fire, or maybe more like hurricane.
Read it again.

-Earthquake: 1 point, 86% of base mana, 1.5s cast, channeled, 35 yard range, 15 second cooldown; you cause the earth at the target location to tremble and break, dealing 36 Physical damage every 1 second to enemies in a 10 yard radius, with a 30% chance of knocking down affected targets. Lasts 10 seconds.
I suppose it could be that there's a 1.5s ramp-up cast and then you start channeling like everything else (and then cast a CL while you wait on the cooldown), which is the sort of arbitrary silliness I should expect from Blizzard by now.

How about one of you guys in the alpha clarify it, eh? :lol

firex said:
Right now it's a pretty boring spec (to me) because you really only have to worry about keeping flame shock up and casting lava burst on cooldown, and otherwise you just press the lightning bolt button in the interim. Sometimes you can use chain lightning, like on an aoe pull, but it's not really a standard part of the rotation, especially for raiding. But giving elemental some more stuff to do should be fun, and I hope that idea to drop fire totems at range goes through so they can drop down a searing totem on boss fights.
Yeah, there's a reason why I switched to enhance as my primary spec. Unleash Weapon and Lava Surge ought to spice up the rotation, though.

Oni Link 666 said:

They are doing the sun and sun thing? looks sorta complicated:/

JesseZao

Meier said:
So after Burning Crusade came out, I borrowed someone's account and put a character on it then paid for it via pre-paid cards. I let it lapse ages ago.. don't remember the info. My profile on the armory now doesn't exactly work when I click it. Does anyone know if they eventually delete characters or could I maybe get him back?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lothar&cn=Meier

I'm pretty sure they never delete characters. The armory just doesn't display characters under 10 or ones that haven't logged on in less than a year to keep their server load down.

Meier said:
So after Burning Crusade came out, I borrowed someone's account and put a character on it then paid for it via pre-paid cards. I let it lapse ages ago.. don't remember the info. My profile on the armory now doesn't exactly work when I click it. Does anyone know if they eventually delete characters or could I maybe get him back?

They never delete characters so you're fine. As for getting him back you're going to have to remember what the account information is.

firex

a cast time and a channel makes it seem like they intended it to last a lot longer than it does now or something. I don't know. I'll still take it because it'll get fixed, and earthquake is too iconic anyway. Fire nova is more of a set and forget spell so I can see that being useful, too.

Xabora

Meier said:

Characters after about 30 - 60 days of last login are removed from the armory.
However next login will cause it to show up in about 6 - 12 hours.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think the Earthquake cast is meant to give others a chance to cancel it out because it becomes channeled. Perhaps they are wanting the spell to be that annoying in PVP?

Tacitus_

speedpop said:
I think the Earthquake cast is meant to give others a chance to cancel it out because it becomes channeled. Perhaps they are wanting the spell to be that annoying in PVP?

But channeling spells is a huge INTERRUPT ME NOW sign in pvp.

ampere

Tacitus_ said:
But channeling spells is a huge INTERRUPT ME NOW sign in pvp.
Yeah it does seem weird the way it's set up now.
Perhaps it has a nice long range so you can cast it, say, on a flag in AB and be out of most interrupts' range?

Still excited to see Shaman changes :D , I main a resto draenei :)

half a moon said:
What should a 5100 DK do with frost emblems? I'm in mostly 232 T9.
I can't give you the best advice personally, but do you need tanking or dps gear?
You can check: http://www.tankspot.com/ or http://elitistjerks.com/f72/

Retro

ciaossu said:
Perhaps it has a nice long range so you can cast it, say, on a flag in AB and be out of most interrupts' range?

I was thinking, casting that right in a doorway in WSG might really screw up an incoming surge. Drop that as they run in, have your ranged classes slide out and nuke em while they're on their asses?

Of course, that would require people to know how to execute strategies in WSG other than Fighting in the Middle. :lol

firex

I just realized why it has a cast time now. Since it has a cooldown, you can use the cast time to interrupt it yourself if your positioning is screwed up, so you don't start channeling and have to wait for the cooldown.

LK10 down.

rvk9tl.jpg

Tacitus_

half a moon said:

Let's see.

You'll want the badge cloak and belt and all the tier pieces. You can try to luck out gloves and pants from VoA. This applies to both tank and dps specs.

ampere

firex said:
I just realized why it has a cast time now. Since it has a cooldown, you can use the cast time to interrupt it yourself if your positioning is screwed up, so you don't start channeling and have to wait for the cooldown.
Not a bad point, it must have something to set it apart from Hurricane and similar spells if it's getting the cast time and cooldown. Maybe it's very expensive and powerful so making sure that you're aiming properly is huge.

I still can't make up my mind as to whether or not I want to be in the Beta or wait until it launches. Not like I'll get in... but :lol

ampere

ShallNoiseUpon said:
LK10 down.

rvk9tl.jpg
Huge congratulations!

My guild is still stuck on Sindragosa 10 right now, everything up to that we one shot but people just lose coordination when she goes into 'Phase 2' at 35%. The whole fight is flawless up until then too ~_~, people seem to forget about the ice blocks. I'm hoping we down her and get some LK time this coming Wednesday :).

Tacitus_ said:
Let's see.

You'll want the badge cloak and belt and all the tier pieces. You can try to luck out gloves and pants from VoA. This applies to both tank and dps specs.
ciaossu said:

Still excited to see Shaman changes :D , I main a resto draenei :)

I can't give you the best advice personally, but do you need tanking or dps gear?
You can check: http://www.tankspot.com/ or http://elitistjerks.com/f72/
DPS. Not having luck with VOA or finding raids in general. Only have 88 emblems total. With my luck I'd spend them on something and see an instance replacement.

firex

Alex said:
Does Quake do something cool besides damage? I havent heard anything about it yet.
30% chance of knockdown on everything in the aoe, so it's got a decent chance of a small "stun" more or less. that new frost DK talent will counter that and I bet a couple other talents will, too.

Tacitus_

half a moon said:
DPS. Not having luck with VOA or finding raids in general. Only have 88 emblems total. With my luck I'd spend them on something and see an instance replacement.

Buy the shoulders, chest and helmet first. The 4 piece bonus is so worth it.

J-Rzez

half a moon said:

You'll want to buy the Tier set in 2's. Meaning, get 2 pieces at once, so you're taking away one set bonus (T9 4pc), while acquiring a new one (2pc T9, 2pc T10). That's what I did at least. Buy the gloves in the 2nd group of gear in case you get a voa drop on them in the mean time. Get the four pieces without the legs. You'll want the crafted 264 legs if you don't have access to 25mans or 10man hard modes.

After that, probably get the cloak, belt, or trinket. whichever needs the greatest amount of help. Cloak is nice for the large chunk of expertise. The sigil is the last piece to buy when you have nothing better to burn the emblems on, as it's a minor AND situational dps boost pending on the fight. I swap my sigils back and forth for different encounters, if there's a lot of movement for example with off time for the boss, then Sigil of the Hanged man isn't that good due to the stacking properties of the buff.

Tacitus_

More changes

- Re-applying FF/BP before it runs out adds 2 seconds to it's current duration.
- FF/BP damage ticks no longer clip when re-applying diseases.
- Horn of Winter now increases your total strength and agility by 419 (up from 155).
- Death and Decay now costs 1 Unholy Rune.
- Scourge Strike now costs 1 Unholy Rune.
- Howling Blast now only costs 1 Frost Rune.

druids

- Skull Bash - New: (1 rage/25 energy 8 yard range, 10 second cooldown): You charge and skull bash the target, interrupting spellcasting and preventing any spell in that school from being cast for 5 sec.

palas

- Consecration now deals 205 damage over 10 seconds down from 736, now has a status bar similar to totems and may now be canceled early

Jrmint

Tacitus_ said:
- Death and Decay now costs 1 Unholy Rune.
- Scourge Strike now costs 1 Unholy Rune.
Those are awesome changes, especially the death and decay one. I hope they stay that way, but it is so early they probably won't.

as melee, i'm having problems using keyboard movement and keybindings at the same time. any tips?

a speed pad seems like it'd be good for me. thumb movement. don't want to spend money on that now tho.

Hixx

half a moon said:
as melee, i'm having problems using keyboard movement and keybindings at the same time. any tips?

a speed pad seems like it'd be good for me. thumb movement. don't want to spend money on that now tho.

I use my mouse, excellent for quick turning. Infact I prefer it all round, holding down W to run can ache after a bit.

Dina

HixxSAFC said:
I use my mouse, excellent for quick turning. Infact I prefer it all round, holding down W to run can ache after a bit.

Numlock, or even better, mouse3/4/5/ or middlemouse.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ciaossu said:
Huge congratulations!

My guild is still stuck on Sindragosa 10 right now, everything up to that we one shot but people just lose coordination when she goes into 'Phase 2' at 35%. The whole fight is flawless up until then too ~_~, people seem to forget about the ice blocks. I'm hoping we down her and get some LK time this coming Wednesday :).
With the 20% buff you can just zerg Sindragosa with a single tank (obviously your DPS has to clear their Mystic Buffet stacks (usually every 2 blocks). Given that your main tank now always has 65000 health, you can just be a douche and just heal him through the MB stacks that he's getting. The tank will have to SW through Frost Breath, of course.

Jrmint

HixxSAFC said:
Using autorun in instances is silly.
Well yea but you're not holding the forward button all that much in there anyway. I thought you meant flying or mounting out in the field somewhere.

So I've decided the Blood Quarter in ICC has my least favorite and most favorite fight in the dungeon before Sinda and LK:
I HATE Blood Princes, but Blood Queen is really fun.

Cipherr

Skel said:
Well yea but you're not holding the forward button all that much in there anyway. I thought you meant flying or mounting out in the field somewhere.

So I've decided the Blood Quarter in ICC has my least favorite and most favorite fight in the dungeon before Sinda and LK:
I HATE Blood Princes, but Blood Queen is really fun.

Are you a healer or something? The princes is like the most laid back fight IMO. I generally slack off during it quite a bit lol.

Jrmint

Puncture said:
Are you a healer or something? The princes is like the most laid back fight IMO. I generally slack off during it quite a bit lol.
No I'm a Hunter main. I know it is laid back, but has just always been so annoying to me having to worry about all the different orbs, and the range, and switching the bosses. Just a pain in the ass imo.

J-Rzez

ciaossu said:

If you guys are having this kind of problem, one of your more aware players are going to have to call out who's getting ice blocked and to which leg they're running to. When I say that, I mean they should be in line, not next to, with the front leg for the first block, rear leg for the second, back to front for the 3rd, etc.

You also have to tell people it's important that they move asap, not wait until the end of their rotations.

Meier

Thanks for the answers, folks. Can't believe it has been over 3 years since I played WoW last.. that's crazy! Hopefully I can get a hold of the guy again.. can't believe Lich King is still $40 and/or there isn't a Battle Chest that has both expansions. Not keen on spending $80 if I can't get the old guy back..

Tacitus_

Apparently you can't attempt heroic LK if you don't kill the wing end bosses in heroic in that reset. Did Sindra's achievement and found out that Tirion doesn't bother to show up on hc -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom