• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

speedpop said:
Everyone hates the Plaguelands. The only ones who I've found that enjoyed their time in there were people who spent way too much time in the zone i.e. Deathcharger farmers and a few strange RPers.

The farm/cauldron quests were ridiculously good xp (at least for horde). They were worth like two levels alone.

Fularu

Banned
Tacitus_ said:
That's the key to Scholomance (which you could bypass by suiciding near the door). The scarlet key drops from Scarlet Monastery: Armory. Needing the Scarlet Key for Strat Living and finding out that nobody in the group had it was nervewrecking though.
It's from the library, not the armory :p Not that it matters ;)

Alex

I will totally agree that WoW classic end game was kind of iffy, at least IMO. I was always annoyed raiding until BC, the only things I really liked out of classic WoW raiding were Twin Emps/Cthun, Zul'Gurub and Naxxramas (non-sissy mode!)

It was just updated too slowly, and it was very plain, a lot of challenge came from bugs or other small obnoxious things rather than actual taxing scripting and patterns.

I didn't hate it or anything, the same way I didn't hate Classic leveling, it's just that the new stuff really rubs in how old school it was.

That's just raiding though, I mean think of the other stuff...! You can't because Classic WoW didnt have the other stuff! Argh!

Blizzard did a lot for MMO polish and evolution that no one will ever give them credit for not only in design, but in the fact that you can play the game on a very casual schedule and be very challenged with a variety of content.

The PvP too, people can say what they want, but WoW has the best PvP along the lines of UO/DAoC in the genre. I burned out on arena though, it's too microy and metay for me. I really really am excited for Rated BGs, in all of gaming right now that's my one big thing :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tacitus_ said:
The farm/cauldron quests were ridiculously good xp (at least for horde). They were worth like two levels alone.
I won't dispute that since I did that chain on both of my lvl 80s, but that doesn't change the fact that the zone as a whole is a depressing pile of crap.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
speedpop said:
Everyone hates the Plaguelands. The only ones who I've found that enjoyed their time in there were people who spent way too much time in the zone i.e. Deathcharger farmers and a few strange RPers.
i loved those zones. Constant PVP going.. interesting quest chains (Cauldron quests, Darrowshire quest, those Raid quests).. always someone complaining in the chat about taking that gryphon.. utter noobs that just made it to LHC for the first time and decide to attack the other faction :lol Good times.

Jrmint

Yea I don't think you did what I was referring to. At the Bulwark you get a few quests sending you to 4 farms in W Plaguelands. You do all of those, and each farm there is a separate quest to pick up (except for the last one).

Avoid E Plaguelands at all costs, that place is an abomination, and I never did Scholomance. But Stratholme is a cool instance to farm later on.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Ok so I never thought I'd make one of these post so here it is..

I'm an old hardcore WoW player..played from launch to just before Lich King came out. Other than a 10 day free trial never played Lich King and havn't touched the game since January 2009.

Lookin to go back!

Is there any resource or podcasts or anything that can get me reacquainted with the game? I figured I could read some worldofming.com but man..that place has..changed.

worldrevolution said:
Ok so I never thought I'd make one of these post so here it is..

I'm an old hardcore WoW player..played from launch to just before Lich King came out. Other than a 10 day free trial never played Lich King and havn't touched the game since January 2009.

Lookin to go back!

Is there any resource or podcasts or anything that can get me reacquainted with the game? I figured I could read some worldofming.com but man..that place has..changed.

you should really wait until the expansion comes out as it changes the game from level 1.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fisticuffs said:
you should really wait until the expansion comes out as it changes the game from level 1.
I sincerely doubt Blizzard will do as much as people believe they will.

Angry Grimace said:
I sincerely doubt Blizzard will do as much as people believe they will.

Maybe you are right, but for the race/class combos, the new races, the redesigned talent trees and for the guild levelling, many many many many many people will do the level 1 thing again. This is the second chance to witness the launch of the game. Game is 5 years old. This is the last time there will be a buzz around the game like this.

It's highly unlikely they will ever do it again, and if they did, the would do it at a time where the tech would be so outdated that, it would not matter, or be able to create the buzz, like it has been doing now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone else have this issue with WoW? Where FPS can stutter anywhere, no matter what you're doing? Doesn't matter if i'm fighting, if i'm flying, if i'm running around Darkshore, my FPS keep freezing for half a second every once in a while. I can play for 30 mins just fine, then another time, this can happen like 10 times in a matter of minutes, and i have no idea what is doing this, and it is only happening with WoW(also noticed this in Starcraft 2, maybe a Battle.net issue?). Tried new video drivers, tried lowering video details/resolutions, tried disabling addons, and nothing works. I have a AMD 2.6ghz quadcore, 4gb ram & a nvidia 9800gt 1gb, i don't have some shitty PC. Bioshock 2 & L4D2 works perfectly fine. :( It's been like this since march at least, argh.

I tried asking in the Tech Support of the WoW forum, but Blizzard wasn't really helpful in there.

J-Rzez

Bisnic said:
I tried asking in the Tech Support of the WoW forum, but Blizzard wasn't really helpful in there.

Well of course you're not going to get any help over there, as those forums are a dedicated cesspool of simpleton idiocy. Did you put in at the end of your question: "I haz cookies 4 u, and I luv turtlez"? If you didn't, that maybe why you didn't get your response.

As for your problem I ran into this a couple times. Once was from shitty add-ons, and another time I had to do a full reinstall of the game but in that case it did it way more often. I'll get that on occasion now, and chalk it up to their shitty servers anymore since I tested it out and my networking friend told me he had the same issues over the past year with the game and it's on "their" end.

Bisnic

J-Rzez said:
Well of course you're not going to get any help over there, as those forums are a dedicated cesspool of simpleton idiocy. Did you put in at the end of your question: "I haz cookies 4 u, and I luv turtlez"? If you didn't, that maybe why you didn't get your response.

What you're talking about is the general/realm/classes forums. The Tech Support forums usually gets a lot of Blue replies, but still... they cant answer everyone, even when their situations is fucking annoying like mine. :(

But yeah, i'm 90% sure the problem is with Battle Net. As i get the same issue with the beta of Starcraft II, but not with L4D2 & Bioshock 2. But since i got this problem like 3 months ago, i fear this won't get fixed anytime soon. Hopefully i won't have to deal with this shit once Starcraft II is released in July.

Bisnic

FLEABttn said:
Does the FPS stutter coincide with your hard drive read light?

It's hard to say, as the HDD light blink a lot and stutters are very random. :lol But no, stutters can happen even the few time the HDD light isn't there.

Einbroch

Banned
So, I haven't played WoW in about six months and since summer is here I thought I'd resub. My account got hacked and characters altered, so I figured now would be a good time to reroll and start over. I'm thinking about rolling a Hunter, as I played a Shaman and Paladin before I quit.

My question is...what has changed in the last six months, if anything?

Bisnic

I've got Vista 64 bits, but the same regedit entry is there. Maybe i'll try this later, although knowing my luck with this issue, it won't do anything. :lol

Duki

Banned
Bisnic said:
Anyone else have this issue with WoW? Where FPS can stutter anywhere, no matter what you're doing? Doesn't matter if i'm fighting, if i'm flying, if i'm running around Darkshore, my FPS keep freezing for half a second every once in a while. I can play for 30 mins just fine, then another time, this can happen like 10 times in a matter of minutes, and i have no idea what is doing this, and it is only happening with WoW(also noticed this in Starcraft 2, maybe a Battle.net issue?). Tried new video drivers, tried lowering video details/resolutions, tried disabling addons, and nothing works. I have a AMD 2.6ghz quadcore, 4gb ram & a nvidia 9800gt 1gb, i don't have some shitty PC. Bioshock 2 & L4D2 works perfectly fine. :( It's been like this since march at least, argh.

i had a shitload of problems getting wow working under windows 7.

what finally did it was updating my network drivers of all things.

router/wireless card or network card depending on which kind of connection you use.

ampere

We just downed Sindgragosa 10 tonight ^____^
It was getting too late so we decided to just give a wild stab and the LK to see how it starts and we're going to read up/watch videos and reconvene on Saturday.

Will post our screenshots if we down him! :D

Tacitus_

ciaossu said:
It was getting too late so we decided to just give a wild stab and the LK to see how it starts and we're going to read up/watch videos and reconvene on Saturday.

Need any pointers?

DarkJC

markot said:
Ive never had any problems at all whatsoever in the slightest at running wow in windows 7 64bitses.

Ditto. Used the web installer to install on this machine, no problems at all.

Alcoori

So, up until a couple of weeks ago, I stopped playing WoW 3 years ago.
I couldn't believe it but it was in June 07. I was doing some light raiding on BC (light being the word) and my moving to another country made me drop it altogether.

2 weeks ago then, I was home for a weekend and my little bro' who stopped playing even before I did (just when BC came out) and he coerced me into playing again.

A short stint with the customer support later (account hacked but nothing changed on my characters?) here I am rerolling DeathKnight.

And boy did things changed. First there are new stats. The basic interface is way more handy than before. The dungeon group finder thingy is pretty cool. The mount/pet window is so good, at least it doesn't stay uselessly in your bags.
And last but not least, what's up with the faster-than-light leveling?? I can't speak for post lvl70 yet, but I remember that going from 60 to 65 took me way more time than what it took me this time!

Anyway, I'm also completely lost with the acronyms. What's ICC? or ArP?

Bisnic

Alcoori said:
So, up until a couple of weeks ago, I stopped playing WoW 3 years ago.
I couldn't believe it but it was in June 07. I was doing some light raiding on BC (light being the word) and my moving to another country made me drop it altogether.

2 weeks ago then, I was home for a weekend and my little bro' who stopped playing even before I did (just when BC came out) and he coerced me into playing again.

A short stint with the customer support later (account hacked but nothing changed on my characters?) here I am rerolling DeathKnight.

And boy did things changed. First there are new stats. The basic interface is way more handy than before. The dungeon group finder thingy is pretty cool. The mount/pet window is so good, at least it doesn't stay uselessly in your bags.
And last but not least, what's up with the faster-than-light leveling?? I can't speak for post lvl70 yet, but I remember that going from 60 to 65 took me way more time than what it took me this time!

Anyway, I'm also completely lost with the acronyms. What's ICC? or ArP?

Yes, leveling was boosted from 20 to 70 a long time ago. But 70 to 80 is pretty much how 60 to 70 was back in BC.

ICC = Icecrown Citadel
ArP = Armor Penetration.

Alcoori

Yeah I thought so too, seemed to go really fast.
Not that I'm complaining of course! Thanks for the acronyms.

Also, I've read quite a few debate over DW or 2H for the DeathKnight, anyone here plays one and has any thoughts on it? Specifically about having slow/fast 1H weapons.
I'm currently Frost tanking with a 2H and it's a pretty smooth ride. I'm sure it'll be different in raids but so far I've been able to tank and rank 2nd on recount in every instance I did (shame on any dps below me).

Wouldn't having a slow weapon make more sense since most of the DK spells are weapon dps based? (I'm thinking Frost Strike/Blood Strike/Obliteration).

FLEABttn

Banned
You want slow 1 handers for DPS.

My DW DK if you're interested:

www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drenden&n=Deathwaggles

Bisnic said:
It's hard to say, as the HDD light blink a lot and stutters are very random. But no, stutters can happen even the few time the HDD light isn't there.

Hmm, not sure then. You may want to give it a defragging in case, cause that will certainly contribute to stuttering. Maybe re-seat your GPU. Outside of that, assuming every driver is udpated, running out of ideas.

Meier

markot said:
Ive never had any problems at all whatsoever in the slightest at running wow in windows 7 64bitses.
Same although my time playing is limited to 3 or 4 days or whatever it's been. Thing runs like an absolute dream on the highest settings.. big step up from when I played it last on my old laptop. :lol

I just found out yesterday that Hunters are going to be using focus instead after Cataclysm? That seems silly..

yacobod

Banned
Alcoori said:
Also, I've read quite a few debate over DW or 2H for the DeathKnight, anyone here plays one and has any thoughts on it? Specifically about having slow/fast 1H weapons.

if you are going to dw dps, you need 2 slow weapons

Tacitus_

Alcoori said:
Yeah I thought so too, seemed to go really fast.
Not that I'm complaining of course! Thanks for the acronyms.

I'm currently Frost tanking with a 2H and it's a pretty smooth ride. I'm sure it'll be different in raids but so far I've been able to tank and rank 2nd on recount in every instance I did (shame on any dps below me).

Wouldn't having a slow weapon make more sense since most of the DK spells are weapon dps based? (I'm thinking Frost Strike/Blood Strike/Obliteration).

Yeah, slow weapons are the best ones. There's some cutoff point where raw DPS allows you to use fast weapons, BUT that usually means your slow weapon is tier(s) behind the fast one.

Also, DK tanks do ridiculous amounts of damage while leveling up, especially if there's no CC so you can roll disease on every mob and DND on every pack.

Alcoori

I see, but what about tanking? What would be the advantages of DW compared to 2H.
Not in terms of DPS but of threat building.

Doesn't having fast weapons make a bit more sense as if they miss, another hit that could be successful is supposed to follow soon after? Or is this offset by the contribution of DPS to threat building?

I'd be interested by a guide explaining in depth the principles behind tanking (if that even exists) such as how does threat works and how is it related to healing/DPS/certain threat generating competences.

FLEABttn

Banned
Alcoori said:
I see, but what about tanking? What would be the advantages of DW compared to 2H.

Doesn't having fast weapons make a bit more sense as if they miss, another hit that could be successful is supposed to follow soon after? Or is this offset by the contribution of DPS to threat building?

I'd be interested by a guide explaining in depth the principles behind tanking (if that even exists) such as how does threat works and how is it related to healing/DPS/certain threat generating competences.

This is really where my knowledge starts to fall off, but, fast 1 handers for DW tanking will give you major threat issues. A lot of pug DW DK's go after 1 handers with tank stats to try to increase survivability or hit the defense cap. The issue is though that their threat generation is pretty much terrible and either the DPS will take more damage than the tank, or they will hold off on DPS so much that it takes much longer to kill things.

FLEABttn said:
This is really where my knowledge starts to fall off, but, fast 1 handers for DW tanking will give you major threat issues. A lot of pug DW DK's go after 1 handers with tank stats to try to increase survivability or hit the defense cap. The issue is though that their threat generation is pretty much terrible and either the DPS will take more damage than the tank, or they will hold off on DPS so much that it takes much longer to kill things.

Don't worry about your weapons having defensive stats. You still would be best off with 2 slow 1 handers. The truth of the matter is that if you make it to end game raiding, you'll want to switch to blood to tank and use a 2H anyway. But for heroics and leveling, DW frost is fine. Actually, for leveling, the min/maxing that you're worried about probably won't make a difference. No one is going to have the kind of gear that's going to be pulling threat from a tank anyway.

edit: here's my DKs armory for reference (I'm a 2h Blood Tank btw). http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal'Ganis&cn=Ilriel

FLEABttn

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
Don't worry about your weapons having defensive stats. You still would be best off with 2 slow 1 handers. The truth of the matter is that if you make it to end game raiding, you'll want to switch to blood to tank and use a 2H anyway. But for heroics and leveling, DW frost is fine. Actually, for leveling, the min/maxing that you're worried about probably won't make a difference. No one is going to have the kind of gear that's going to be pulling threat from a tank anyway.

Oh, I know. Just saying that fast one handed tank weapons is a mistake a lot of DW DK tanks make.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So did anyone get Blizzcon tickets? My ISP decided to be fuckwads and not show up on Tuesday when my new internet was supposed to be working on Monday, so they showed up at 7PM MDT to get it setup, by the time it was done it was after 8 and really no point in trying. Sigh, going to try on Saturday. None of my guildies got theirs either.

lordmrw

ciaossu said:

My 10 man group completely fell apart at Sindragosa last month. We spent 4 hours wiping on the boss and only really got her close to dead 3 times. Since then some people have transferred servers, others have disappeared off the face of the earth, etc. I didn't bother doing ICC since then until this past Tuesday night. I went with a guild on their 25 man run and it was awesome until we got to, you guessed it, Sindragosa. The frustrating part is out of 25 of us, 17 or so of us execute everything perfectly, its just those last 8 that completely fuck it up for the rest of us. Its like I'm doomed to 1. never replace my 232 neck piece 2. never replace my god damned Bone Warden Splitter that I've been using since January 3. never kill Sindragosa. Damn my luck.

J-Rzez

Alcoori said:

2H blood is still the "preferred" raiding spec. DW frost builds are ok, but they lack some of the big abilities found in blood spec. That's why you'll see a lot more DW tanks in heroics and the sort due to their faster aoe threat gains/control, and little risk of dying because you're more than likely over-geared.

Fast 1h weapons are a no-no, as they significantly lower your threat.

FLEABttn

Banned
Sindragosa requires a level of execution that most people who raid these days aren't probably familiar with. Our 10 man took a month before we killed her, and it required a tweaked strat for stage 3 because the tank damage troubles and because a certain 3 individuals would get frost beacon and either not move or would run into people.

It's a fight that, even with a 20% buff or whatever it's at now, can really punish you for having any half or full blown retards in your raid.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FLEABttn said:
Sindragosa requires a level of execution that most people who raid these days aren't probably familiar with. Our 10 man took a month before we killed her, and it required a tweaked strat for stage 3 because the tank damage troubles and because a certain 3 individuals would get frost beacon and either not move or would run into people.

It's a fight that, even with a 20% buff or whatever it's at now, can really punish you for having any half or full blown retards in your raid.
Sindragosa broke up our guild :lol

Our retard OT managed to get through Putricide, Blood Queen, everything, but it all fell apart there :lol It's not a blood n guts guild or anything, it's mostly couples, but the few really good players just got pissed off knowing it wasn't going anywhere, since if the OT couldn't even press the taunt button on command, or move to a very specific place, she wasn't gonna be doing LK right, plus the raid leader won't replace anyone not matter how bad they are.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:

Our retard OT managed to get through Putricide, Blood Queen, everything, but it all fell apart there :lol It's not a blood n guts guild or anything, it's mostly couples, but the few really good players just got pissed off knowing it wasn't going anywhere, since if the OT couldn't even press the taunt button on command, or move to a very specific place, she wasn't gonna be doing LK right, plus the raid leader won't replace anyone not matter how bad they are.

Well yeah, if you have trouble with Sindy, you're not going to get anywhere with LK. Defiles will mess people up if they don't fit into coordination, then you have the vile spirits your OT will have to deal with, and, they don't sound up to the job :lol.

Then you have ranged refusing to collapse for when the valks appear, and yeah...

FLEABttn

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

Sorry to hear =/

We're not hardcore in the stereotypical sense. But we point out when people are being retarded, by name. Which qualifies as being hardcore to some people apparently (I got lectured over that in my old guild. Requiring personal accountability in regards to sucking ass was a no-no and too hardcore).

Our tanks were fine but tank healing was an issue because 1) with two healers, a tombed healer was too much reduced healing to handle the raid 2) one of our three healers specced discipline and was awful at it and wouldn't spec back to holy, so this would kill people if one of the other two healers were tombed. This generally killed the tanks first. We eventually loaded our druid OT with frost resist gear and he solo tanks it for the most part, except when he needs to clear his debuff and the MT runs in there for like 5 seconds.

Second issue was trying to clearly show where the slow people had to run to with frost beacon. We ended up using the stairs for that. If you don't have the frost beacon, stay in the center. If you have it, run to the right stair or the left stair. This worked out a lot better, though we still call people out by name if we don't see movement.

We haven't had much luck with LK yet cause I think we've only gotten an hour of attempts over the past 3 months. We can clear to LK on Friday and then saturday rolls around and people can only stay for 20 minutes or some bullshit. And then they complain about no LK kill yet.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
FLEABttn said:
Second issue was trying to clearly show where the slow people had to run to with frost beacon. We ended up using the stairs for that. If you don't have the frost beacon, stay in the center. If you have it, run to the right stair or the left stair. This worked out a lot better, though we still call people out by name if we don't see movement.
This has been like raid 101 since day 1. It's the ultimate idiot test.

If you get the debuff, you run to the assigned spot(Or just get the fuck away from people)
If you don't, stay still.

Tacitus_

J-Rzez said:
2H blood is still the "preferred" raiding spec. DW frost builds are ok, but they lack some of the big abilities found in blood spec. That's why you'll see a lot more DW tanks in heroics and the sort due to their faster aoe threat gains/control, and little risk of dying because you're more than likely over-geared.

Fast 1h weapons are a no-no, as they significantly lower your threat.

I haven't kept up with the DK tank scene (warrior <3), but I belive blood is the preferred due to better cooldowns. We've had a frost DW (with two tank weapons at that) perform just fine until 9/12 25hc and 11/12 10m hc.

Eeh, not really after the IT threat buff. You can maintain 10-13k tps with mainly IT spam.

J-Rzez

Tacitus_ said:
I haven't kept up with the DK tank scene (warrior <3), but I belive blood is the preferred due to better cooldowns. We've had a frost DW (with two tank weapons at that) perform just fine until 9/12 25hc and 11/12 10m hc.

Eeh, not really after the IT threat buff. You can maintain 10-13k tps with mainly IT spam.

Correct, the cooldowns are significantly stronger, thus why they're preferred. It's not to say Frost can't really do raids, but hardmodes can get a little hairy so them having so many oh shit buttons helps out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom